Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Genders You Prefer Playing
Primarily Prefer Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
"I am trying!" Vala replied immediately, her confusion over the percentage existing at all vanishing under indignation. As much as she trusted and even respected Aemer for the other woman's abilities on the battlefield, she also had the ability to push people's buttons like almost no one else Vala had ever met.

Even more than that, though, Vala was bewildered. But what caused her so much confusion wasn't the fact that she'd gotten such a low score. It was her uncertainty over how anyone could possibly use a simulation to train. As far as Vala was told, it was like telling someone to do gymnastics when their entire body was numb. Was this supposed to be some sort of hardcore training method, so that people would be more attuned to the feel of the mech when they finally got in a real one? Why would Aemer do something like that to her?

"But how am I supposed to control a mech when I'm just waving my hands around in empty air? Why would you ask me to do something so crazy?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, Modern.
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
A note of utter exasperation entered Aemer's voice. "What difference does it make whether or not it's there. Just touch where your eyes see the commands. You should feel the pressure on your fingers from the glove when you touch a control. How is that all that different from a regular mech?" She clicked her tongue and shot upwards off the floor, "Hold on, let me grab something." She returned a few moments later with height-adjustable cold, concrete versions of the controls, adjusting them to an eyeballed height, and plopping Vala's hands on top of them. They were mostly just handrests, and wouldn't make the simulation all that much more realistic.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
Vala could only gape at Aemer's back as the other woman suddenly marched away from her. What difference did it make? Vala didn't even know how to begin explaining how absurd such a statement was. What difference did it make if you couldn't feel the ground when you were stepping? What difference did it make if you couldn't feel the resistance of the knife when you were cutting something?

Aemer might not be a mech driver, but from what Vala had gathered, her father made mechs, and she had spent time interacting with other mech drivers. How could she not understand something so fundamental?

All the same, Aemer's harsh glare when she returned kept Vala silent, and as she studied the contraption in front of her Vala silently resigned herself to this foolishness. She dropped the goggles back over her eyes once she'd lined herself up with the controls, and her hands reached out again.

The physical console helped, but only somewhat. Vala's hands no longer sunk into the screen, her fingers accurately stopping over the base control points. However, when she initiated the calibration again, desperately trying to remember how it had felt when she'd been in the real mech yesterday, her movements were still inaccurate.

Eventually, the robotic voice of the mech once more intoned her results. 23%

In frustration, Vala ripped the goggles off her face, setting them onto the console in front of her much more heavily than she'd intended. A moment later, and her sharp gaze turned to Aemer, attempting to pin the other woman in place with some manifestation of her irritation.

"This is so stupid!" the young lady complained loudly, hands almost shaking.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
To say Aemer gawked at Vala would be the polite way of describing the slack-jawed stare of wordless confusion she gave the other woman. Her eyebrows had shot upwards at the almost childish shout, and she was so surprised and flabbergasted, she couldn't even muster up the will to be angry. She wanted to ask Vala something about that statement, but wasn't precisely sure what. For a long moment, she was rendered speechless, which was a rare feeling for Aemer.

Then she stood up, stuffing her own goggles away and taking the components of the sim away from Vala, putting them back into the machine. "Follow me." She said, simply, making her way into one of the simulation rooms. The simulation room was poorly lit, and although there were light switches on the wall, Aemer made no move to turn them on. Although several other minimechs and models and chairs were scattered around the room, the main features of this, and all the simulation rooms, were two large metal capsules that were currently splayed open to reveal a small cramped chair slightly raised off the ground on a metal pedestal with screens and controls across from the chairs, like the inside of a mech and a squid capsule. A cap was attached to the capsule with the several wires, looking rather intimidating, and as Vala watched, Aemer fished out a second cap from among the junk and began attaching it to extra screws in the metal capsule, then dragged an extra chair into the one that looked like a squidpod.

"I can't teach you how to use a mech simulator, but I might as well show you what it's like to be a bioengineer in a sim." She snapped her fingers and pointed at the extra chair. "Sit."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Air huffed in and out from between Vala's lips as she stared Aemer down, waiting for the other woman to lash back at her outburst. However, the seconds dragged on in silence, and Vala gradually found her flared temper cooling.

That wasn't to say she didn't firmly believe what she'd said before. She couldn't imagine how anyone could ever train in one of these sims, other than as some method of self-inflicted torture, but that was certainly no reason to take out her confused indignation over this matter on either Aemer or her father's technology. As stupid as it all might be, Vala did believe Aemer had been trying to help.

Hopefully her tester would have more common sense than a bioengineer, at least.

Vala was only moments away from apologizing when Aemer suddenly stood up, causing Vala to swallow her words. Quietly, the dark-haired woman followed Aemer into the other room, studying the various bits of metal and compiled contraptions with hints of curiosity in her eyes.

Aemer's voice drew her attention back to one of the two largest machines, which was now fitted with two helmets, similar to the ones she and Aemer had been using out in the living room. Vala sat down on the cold chair with only a moment's hesitation, before carefully putting on the cap.

She was undeniably curious about what a bioengineer did, although after her experience in the last sim, Vala was highly doubtful about how accurate of a representation this would really be. All the same, she was almost certainly going to be trusting her life to Aemer again in the future. It would only benefit her to have a better understanding of what bioengineers were capable of.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Aemer wasn't trying to scare Vala, but she figured it was about time she got a look at Aemer's side of the world. She pressed the on button and the metal framing the chair began to close around them, finally closing to create an enclosed space not dissimilar from a real squidpod, albeit a little more spacious to allow for spectators like Vala. Aemer maneuvered carefully and began pulling loose straps from the contraption to secure Vala in her chair. "Much like the goggles I was using with you earlier, the cap I screwed in will allow you to see, but also feel and experience what I'm going through, but not allow you any control in that environment. It'll be a bit like using a low class venom parasite. You can see, but not interact. This experience is a little disorienting if you're not used to it, so if you feel the need to be sick, let me know immediately. It helps if you close your eyes once I get the parasite going."

She sat back into the main chair, harnessing herself in, pulling the cap over her own head and pressing start, navigating quickly through the controls on the panel in front of her to choose a basic model of mech and simulated driver. Just as it had in the real pod, a cheerful robot's voice began to speak, but this time, Aemer didn't interrupt her. She wanted Vala to know precisely what was going on.

Welcome to the mobile armor biosupport division! You have been assigned to mech driver program 839, mech model D-pro8 2004. Please insert your finger into the testing chamber on the left to allow your compatibility with the Calamar to be tested.

She did so, pricking her finger, and the voice went on.

Please wait patiently while your blood is analyzed to test your compatibility with the Calamar! In the meantime, we have provided a salve chamber to the left of the testing chamber which will now light up to direct you.

It took only a few moments of silence before the voice continued again.

Analysis complete! Your compatibility with the Calamar without parasite intervention is: Indeterminate. Your compatibility with the parasite intervention is: 94%. Congratulations! You are extremely compatible! Caution. Prolonged exposure to parasite with high compatibility may have side effects including: Rash, seizures, uncontrollable bowel movement, strange visions, frequent nightmares, insomnia, sudden bursts of aggression, confusion of language, extreme euphoria, and death. Please review the mech model you have been assigned to to best assist your mech driver.

She grinned slightly to herself. Okay, so maybe she was trying to scare Vala. Just a little. She began to click through the controls to put up a schematic of the mech, and as she did so, explained to Vala, "You should also review the specs and schematic of every new mech model you're put in. A parasite compatibility percentage of higher than a 90% is extremely high, not unlike a user adjustment percentage of lower than 10% being really good, but as you can see, a high compatibility can be dangerous long-term. You're more likely to... go squid." She laughed lightly.

She pressed a couple buttons to get the parasite wristband to clamp around her wrist, then raised her hand to show the woman behind her. "This contains the parasite, which I will activate when we get closer. I'll warn you when I'm about to activate, so brace yourself."

The voice said, When prepared to start the simulation, please say "Bioengineer on stand-by, waiting for mech dispatch."

Aemer intoned after the robot, and the screen went utterly dark. The machine shuddered and wobbled, acting as if it was rising off the ground. "Close your eyes, Vala." Aemer warned. Not that there would be anything else to see on the screen from now on.

After a bit more fake moving about that finally smoothed out, the voice warned, Calamar detected within 500 feet. Please activate your parasite.

"Here we go." Aemer said, excitement clear in her voice.

She activated her parasite. Vala would still be able to feel her body, but her head would suddenly be filled with a rush of sights and sounds and smells, and she would feel the weightlessness of being a squid, hanging in the air. They were there together, surrounded by hundreds of squid, their strange humming thrumming through all of them, Aemer and Vala at one with all of them. The first time Aemer had done this, it had taken her almost 40 minutes to distinguish herself as an individual and pull her perspective back to her specific mech, but now, it was only a matter of moments before she honed in on the correct individual, a plain grey mech that wasn't special, but was sturdy and serviceable, and clean in the sim, a sad departure from reality. There were other mechs added into the sim as distractions, but only her mech would be in battle with the squid.

They were moments away from engaging the squid, so she quickly took a moment to ask, "How you doing, Vala?"

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala waited quietly in the back seat as the robotic voice walked Aemer through the setup process for the squidpod. She supposed it was the biological version of mech calibration, although she still couldn't figure out how it was able to test Aemer's blood when there was no actual machinery. Maybe it was built into this chamber they were sitting in somehow...

Vala's confusion over the simulation was interrupted when the pod started speaking again, intoning Aemer's results and issuing out a list of warnings that seemed to ramble on without end. Vala sighed slightly to herself, somehow unsurprised that there were so many dangers associated with being a bioengineer. If it was easy or safe, no one would ever be a mech driver. She couldn't remember a list of risks associated with operating the mech, though. Maybe they considered it too obvious. If you mess up, you'll die. Uncontrollable bowel movements certainly wouldn't be a problem then. It seemed a lot more black and white than that.

As Aemer rolled off some information, Vala nodded her head in response, before remembering Aemer wouldn't be able to see that with the helmet on. "Okay," she agreed, her thoughts once more turning back to her first time in the mech. She still didn't remember anything about a percentage from that calibration, although maybe she'd missed it in the stress of the fact that she'd been convinced she was about to die.

After a few moments studying the dark inside of the pod, or at least her impression of it, Vala finally allowed her eyes to drift closed. Unlike the time when she'd been shoved into the mech, Vala couldn't really bring herself to feel any level of nervousness about this. It was, after all, just a simulation. If Aemer made a mistake, it wouldn't really have any impact on her.

However, she wished Aemer had given her more of an explanation of what to expect. She knew from their time together on the battlefield that bioengineers were somehow able to manipulate the squid through the use of this venom, but that was as far as her knowledge went. She had no idea what to expect.

However, a moment after Aemer's final warning, Vala's questions became irrelevant. A rush of noise filled her mind, like standing in the middle of a room filled with her entire scavenger tribe, everyone shouting at each other. Except she couldn't plug her ears in an attempt to block out the noise.

"Oh god," Vala mumbled, her hands reaching up to try and cradle her face through the cap. However, that wasn't the end of it. If she'd been in control of the experience, Vala might have been able to find some way to cope with the sudden influx of information, either by blocking it out or by forcing herself to focus on a single "voice". However, with no option but to follow along with Aemer's attention, Vala felt like she was drowning. Her head was pounding, flashes of light seeming to travel along the insides of her eyes. She didn't notice as her breathing rate began to increase, causing her to gasp in short, sharp breaths, or as her fingers curled into fists, nails biting sharply into her palm.

Lost in the "sound" of the squid, Vala couldn't even properly distinguish the sound of Aemer's voice from among the noise.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
At first, it didn't register to Aemer that Vala was not replying, but then it began to sink in. She paused and broke protocol to open her eyes and peer over at Vala. The other girl was clenching her fists by her side, eyes squeezed shut, breathing like a drowning man. "Oh shit." Aemer said, slamming her thumb down on the emergency stop button she had held in her left hand. She had never had to use it before, but it was protocol to hold onto it. Slowly, so as not to make the transition too abrupt, the simulation whirred down.

Before it could even finish its work. Aemer was leaning over her chair, and reached out to shake Vala by the shoulder. "Hey! Are you okay?"

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala didn't notice immediately as the voices from the squid began to slowly wind down. She could barely make out what was going on over the noise, but when something suddenly touched her shoulder Vala just knew that they'd found her. She twitched slightly, but her fist was flying out before she'd even had a chance to fully think things through.

If someone asked her later, to explain what had been running through her mind, it was like those moments when she woke up from a dream, convinced that something was about to kill her. Hiding wouldn't do her any good. The only chance she had was to attack back.

However, a splitting pain from her knuckles a moment later, as her hand collided with something metallic. She let out a yelp of surprise, before scrambling at her face in an attempt to remove the helmet. It took her a couple of tries to actually get it off, before she was left panting, squinting against the light, finally calming down enough to realize that she wasn't actually under attack.

And then she saw Aemer.

Ah, shit. Vala winced, ducking her head slightly in shame. "Sorry."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Before Aemer really had time to react, Vala's hand had collided with her cap. If she hadn't been wearing it, she would have easily gotten a black eye. It protected her a little bit, but as the thing was a sensitive piece of technology, not meant to protect her head, her head snapped backwards, and she saw stars as the cap started transmitting random sparks into her brain. She pulled it off, swearing, and feeling the front of her face for anything wrong.

She gave Vala a long look with one half-skeptical eye, the other squinched up in pain. She finished checking her nose and said brusquely, "I would bet my life your compatibility with the Calamar is less than 50%. You okay now?" Usually getting hit was the sort of thing that Aemer responded to with a kick back, but then usually people were trying to hit her, and she could have sympathy for how scary and disorienting syncing with the Calamar was. Plus, at most Vala's punch would leave a bad bruise. Annoying and painful, but nothing permanent.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
More numbers, more grading. All the same, Vala had no other way to judge but assume Aemer was right and nod her head. However, with the fact that she was still almost gasping for breath, the motion ended up combining with a noncommital shrug, before Vala dropped her head into her hands in defeat.

"Yeah," she gasped through her fingers, trying to keep from shaking. "Well. If they ever try and shove me in a squidpod like they did for the mech, make sure to remind them of that."

She took a few more deep breaths, rubbed her eyes for a moment, and then finally lifted her head. "Yeah. I'm okay now."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Aemer surprised herself by cracking up with laughter. "If they ever try shoving you into a squidpod, make sure to punch them a couple times for my sake at least. At least four people would die if you tried being a bioengineer: you and your mech driver, and me and mine because I'll be too busy laughing to do my job. I'm guessing you don't want to try that again?" She asked. They still had some time before the examiner came, but it was probably a good idea not to have Vala be nauseous or panicked when they were about to put her in a mech for training.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Thanks for your sympathy," Vala mumbled back, the words too quiet and covered to really come out clear enough for Aemer to hear. She took another slow, deep breath, before shaking her head.

"Not trying that again," Vala said, before amending her statement. "At least, not now. And not like that. It felt like someone was trying to drown me."

A moment later she shook her head again, but this time the motion seemed more in resignation than denial. "That went very poorly, didn't it?" Vala asked, but continued to speak before Aemer would have a chance to answer. "Are they really going to test me using... that?" She gestured towards the helmet that was laying half sideways near her feet.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Aemer was still chuckling slightly to herself at the mental idea of Vala trying to be a bioengineer, but shook her head. "No and no. I mean, it went poorly, but the mech sim is a bit different, so I wouldn't say very poorly. Mech sims don't have caps in them." She popped open the capsule to point at the other open capsule next to them. "They rock and shake to simulate movement, and the screen shows fake images instead of the actual outside world, but no brain transmissions, assuming that's what you had a problem with. Bioengineers... it's a mental link. The technology to simulate that wasn't developed for almost a hundred years after the first mech sim came out, and it hasn't changed much since then. I wanted to show you what it looked like on my end so you could get a feel for what mechs appear to be doing from the outside and how bioengineers fit into that role, but there's no point to it if you... I don't know. Have a seizure or whatever that was, whenever you try to sync with the squid. At most I was expecting you to throw up. We'll cast it onto a screen next time. Doesn't simulate precisely what I'm doing as well, but less likely to result in serious problems." She practically tumbled from the machine, landing on her feet with a little bounce and looked back at Vala. "You need help getting up? Probably best to just let you rest a bit before the test. And don't worry about how that's going to go. I... have an idea." She gave one of her little shark grins, but didn't explain.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala nodded her head slowly at Aemer's explanation, knowing that she hadn't even managed to understand a third of what the other woman had just tried to explain to her. However, she thought she'd caught the important bits. The mech sim was going to move, thank god, Aemer didn't want her to try the sim again, which she might dispute later if simply because she knew it was important to understand what Aemer was doing, and... she needed to move now.

"Mmmkay," Vala mumbled, pressing her forehead against the cool metal for a moment before grabbing on to the edge of the simulatior and slowly pulling herself up to her feet. "But I'm not going to puke," she added. "Promise."

Nausea was one thing she had well under control by this point. There was no way she was going to waste a perfectly good meal by splattering it back on the ground, not out in the wastes, not now.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"I really don’t care whether you puke or not." Aemer said, overflowing with her usual portion of tact and sympathy. "Just try not to punch extremely sensitive pieces of expensive equipment sending images and sensations into my brain again and we’re good. Here, let me get you some water." Now that Vala had wobbled her way out of the machine, Aemer moved quickly, not waiting for her to catch up as she left the room. She had a glass of water out and ready before Vala had made it out.

Aemer awkwardly fell silent again, as she found she still knew nothing about the other woman, certainly not enough to conduct an interesting conversation, and she had never been prone to small talk.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
For a moment Vala felt like protesting, reminding Aemer that the other woman had done absolutely nothing to prepare her for what was going to happen in that simulation. However, whether she was fully willing to admit it or not, Vala had been the one to lash out, and if she'd been slightly more unfortunate with her blow she supposed she could have damaged the equipment. And some repayment that would be after Aemer had taken her into her house and fed her.

So instead she simply lowered her head and mumbled something unintelligible, slowly following Aemer out of the work area and back into the living room where they'd started. She was already starting to feel better, and a few mouthfuls from the glass of water Aemer handed her was enough to clear the last of the fog from her brain. She had no desire to try the simulation again, not yet at any rate, but the experience was already starting to seem far less harrowing than it had only moments ago.

As she calmed down, Vala found her curiosity growing. Before the silence dragged on for too much longer, she somewhat hesitantly broke it, turning to study Aemer. "So that... That's what it's like for real, too? That's how the Calamar... communicate with each other?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Ah, squid. That was one thing Aemer could talk about. She snorted slightly, but not mockingly. "Communicate? We didn't even get to the communicating part. But yes, that's what it's like for real. At least, with a high compatibility. I'm told the lower your compatibility, the less clear the images and sensations are." She began gesturing in front of herself, always having found it difficult to turn the abstraction of it all into something more concrete, easier for people to understand. "That first part is what we call "syncing" with the Calamar. As far as we know, they just live like that, all the time. They never ever travel alone, so they exist with that "bigger than myself" sense of vision, but they're not... hive minds, either. It's not like they're all just one organism controlling many limbs. Each one has its own mind and will, its own sense of self and an ability to recognize which set of images and sensations specifically pertains to them. At least so far as we know. That's why bioengineers can slip in among the crowd. Cause we're not so different from the foot soldiers."

She glanced back at Vala, having started to drift off a bit in her own thoughts. "Does that idea bother you? That they're... sentient." She shrugged. It bothered some, but those were usually the bioengineers who were going squid. They had started to relate to the monsters.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala listened to Aemer's description of the squid, lips pressed tight and head bobbing slightly as she spoke. She couldn't say that she got it completely, but it wasn't impossible for her to comprehend, either. Somehow, the squid had some psychic ability to communicate with each other, and they shared information with each other at all times. And what Aemer had just shown her was Aemer tapping into that communication. That's how she could tell Vala where the squid were coming from, and somewhat influence them to fall into Vala's traps and attacks.

It certainly made more sense now than the several times Aemer had tries to describe it right before the battle. Even though Aemer had done her best to explain the way squids behaved, it wasn't until she actually saw it for herself, such as it was, that she more fully understood the implications, and what Aemer would, and would not, be able to do to help her.

Distracted aligning this new information with her memories of what had happened in the fight, Vala blinked a couple times before paying attention to Aemer's words again.

"No," she replied, rather promptly. "It doesn't bother me. Out in the Wastes? People kill people, for supplies, for a safe space to sleep, or simply because they feel like it. If I got attacked, I'd try and run, and if I can't run I'd try and fight. I don't see why fighting with the squid would be any different."

Vala sighed slightly, before glancing towards the door. How much longer until the inspector got here?

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Good." Aemer said gruffly. "Keep that mentality. Sentient or not, it's kill or be killed with them. There is no running." Sometimes it felt a bit like Vala was only hearing an eighth of what she actually said. Then again, most people only appeared to understand a third of what she said before she pissed them off so much they stopped trying. Having to repeat herself or watch the other woman start to zone out sometimes while she was in the middle of speaking was annoying, but on the other hand, the fact that Vala kept asking was a sign that she actually wanted to learn what she was saying for some crazy reason, so it was almost kind of reassuring in its own way.

A knock at the door surprised her. The examiner wasn't supposed to arrive until later in the day. She supposed it was fine, though. The sooner they got this over with, the better. She strode to the door and opened it, finding a stiff looking man waiting for her. Not an actual trainer or examiner, just someone meant to pick Vala up. She'd met him before, as a mech driver trainee more than ten years ago, and then again during her attempts to force her way into the military without her father's approval. Suffice to say, he didn't like her. Well, he hated her.

"Hello again, Jacob." Aemer said with an eye-shrug.

The soldier didn't look her in the eye and announced formally, "We've come to pick up Vala Davans for her evaluation."

"Okay. Let's go, Vala." She said, turning her head to look over her shoulder at Vala.

Jacob frowned and looked at her. "You're not coming."

Aemer just shrugged and crossed her arms across her chest. "I'd like to see you try and stop me."