MAD: Class S (Peregrine x firejay)

• Welcome back, Iwaku! While we are still working on the site to get it back into shape, we've come back online so you can get back to doing what you love. Check out this announcement for more details.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Genders You Prefer Playing
Primarily Prefer Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
Vala hesitated at the top of the stairs, before making her way to Aemer's door. She took a deep breath, before knocking on the other's door.

Only silence greeted her, and Vala suddenly found herself growing even more nervous. Was Aemer even in there? What should she do? Should she knock again? What if the other woman was busy, or didn't want to talk to her?

Just as she was about to knock again, Vala suddenly heard the sound of someone coming up the stairs towards her. She hesitated, only to suddenly catch sight of Aemer rounding the corner. Her eyes went wide, and her hand immediately dropped back to her side.

"I... uhh..." Vala stumbled, eyes shifting aside in embarrassment. "Nothing. I'm done with the doctor."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, Modern.
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
"I see that." Aemer said, in a matter-of-fact, almost annoyed fashion. "My dad is setting up dinner downstairs right now. He's probably making a portion for you as well. You coming downstairs?" She leaned over the railing to look down at the lower floor, where sure enough the smell of quickly heating food was starting to waft up from. The smell was good, something rich but unidentifiable. It would only take a few minutes to heat up the brown mess that tasted a lot better than it looked. Turning on her heels, she started downstairs.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
Still somewhat flustered, Vala could only nod a couple of times, before moving towards the stairs, falling into step behind Aemer. She was halfway down the stairs when some strange combination of guilt and frustration forced her to speak again. "I wasn't... trying to get into your room, or something. I just thought you were in there."

Not really looking for a response, Vala suddenly found her attention being drawn towards the smell of food that floated up from downstairs. She swallowed unconsicously, her stomach knotting in the strange combination of desire and nausea that she always felt when it had been more than a day since she'd last eaten. Free food. The idea was nearly mind boggling.

Well, not free, Vala supposed. She'd almost paid for this meal with her life.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
Aemer squinted up at her in surprise and confusion. It had honestly not occurred to her that the other woman was doing any such thing. "I know." She said, bluntly. "Now, come on."

When the two women reached the bottom, Vala got her first chance to see Aemer's father and he got his first chance to see her. He gave Vala a mild look, but didn't seem surprised or critical. He just put the strange brown sludge with the consistency of gravy onto a plate with a porcelain sauce dish of some cold pink sludge with the consistency of jelly, and slid it onto the table, sitting down in front of his own plate calmly. Aemer and the doctor sat down as well. Aemer struck up a boring conversation with Doctor Masterson about the weather top-side, which gave her father some time to talk to Vala.

He started simple, but it was clear he was a bit of an awkward person. "So you're... Vala, she said? I'm not very good with names, I'm afraid. I'm Jack Ross-Ford." He said, not quite meeting Vala's eye. "It's nice to see Aemer's made a friend. She doesn't really bring people home. And uh... you're welcome to stay as long as you need. So... what was life like as a scavenger?" He winced slightly, apparently realizing that his transition into the topic hadn't exactly been smooth.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala sat down somewhat awkwardly at the table, hooking her fingers together in her lap in some attempt to keep from fidgeting too much. However, as soon as Aemer's father set down the plate in front of her she somewhat forgot her reservations. She couldn't say she'd ever seen anything that looked quite like that on a plate before, but it smelled perfectly edible and that gave it an all-clear in Vala's book.

She was just about to dig into the food when she suddenly noticed that no one else was scarfing down the contents of their plate like their lives depended on it. She paused, setting the plate that she'd picked up to lift to her mouth back down on the table with a slightly audible clink. Instead, she mirrored Aemer, picking up the spoon to the side of the plate, and using it to guide a small mouthful of the food to her lips.

Tasted like food too. In fact, it tasted better than anything Vala had eaten in months. Her self-control wavered.

Perhaps luckily, Vala's attention was distracted a moment later, when Aemer's father began to speak. Somehow, his awkwardness made Vala relax. Somewhere in Aemer's introduction, or perhaps due to her lack of one, Vala had formed an image in her mind of Aemer's father being this harsh, austere person, granting her access to their house because of her potential usefulness on the battlefield. His words immediately shattered her illusion.

She couldn't help but remember the first time she'd been introduced to Malcom, the way he'd demanded her loyalty, or they'd trap her back under the earth where they found her. There was very little room for generosity and kindness in the Wastes. Not if people wanted to survive.

"Thank you," Vala replied, pausing briefly to scoop up another heaping mouthful of the gelatinous food and swallow it. "Life in the Wastes is always very busy. There's very little to go around, so everyone's got to do their part to make sure as many people as possible survive. That's why I really do appreciate your willingness to give me a place to stay. And food." Almost as though to punctuate her point, Vala took another mouthful of food.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"I see." Jack said, apparently struggling to find some other reaction to that description. It was as much as he had expected, he had supposed. "Of course, don't worry about food or lodging, you can stay here as long as you want.... And, I said that already." He laughed, losing a little bit of the awkwardness as he gave a huff of breath to relieve his own tension. "You'll have to excuse me, I'm afraid I'm a bit more comfortable with machines than I am with people. Sometimes I think I might have taught Aemer bad habits, as she's a lot more comfortable with squid than people." He shook his head in clear exasperation, but refocused his attention on Vala. "So... Aemer tells me you're really good with a mech. From her, that's unusual praise. She's usually includes more expletives when describing mech drivers." A slightly wry grin touched his lips for a bit. "How was it? Fighting the squid. I mean, you don't have to tell me if you're not... comfortable." He added, hastily. He'd spoken to enough mech-drivers to know the experience could be traumatic.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"It was..." For a moment, Vala stumbled over her own words, uncertain of what exactly she should say. However, Jack's awkward questions somehow made it impossible for her to not answer.

"...I thought I was going to die. They just shoved me in the mech and then sent me out there. I'm just glad the mech was so easy to control, or I don't know what would have happened." Vala paused for a moment, before another thought seemed to suddenly occur to her. "And Aemer was there to help me. I'm glad she knew what she was doing."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Easy to control." Jack said a little blankly. During their talk, Aemer had done most of the talking. He hadn't been sure what to say. He'd had a long, well-prepared speech for the day that she finally went off and became a bioengineer over his objections, but it hadn't really come out of his mouth when they were sitting there in uncomfortable silence. After a bit, Aemer had cracked and started to babble. She'd been prone to do that when she got nervous that she'd upset him somehow. He'd noticed it when she'd turned 13 and he'd caught her smoking. Old habits died hard, he supposed. That meant he hadn't really had a chance to ever actually get around to telling her what he'd been planning to, but it also meant he had a number of interesting details about the fight.

His voice was surprised and almost skeptical. "You found a beat up SX made in 1956 easy to control? Without proper training, most mechs are difficult to control unless you put in simple, pre-programmed commands that don't require much more than a couple buttons pressed, and from Aemer's description, you navigated the mech with a lot more finesse than someone operating with only pre-programmed commands. And machines built that long ago weren't exactly built to be user-friendly. Fewer weapons, weaker shields, janky controls, not to mention whatever mechanical problems probably built up over the years." The man's gaze had turned inward, slightly, his words coming out more smoothly now that he was talking about the one thing he actually understood. "Some mech drivers catch on quickly, but it requires good reflexes, intuition, and usually a certain way of thinkin-" He stopped himself, realizing that he'd started to babble.

"Oh. Uhm- Sorry, I was just thinking aloud. It- well, I suppose it does explain why Aemer was so..." what was the word...? "excited to have you stay with us. She's been on the sims since she was a little girl, and has had a lot of practice working with mech-drivers trying to get in extra practice, or people training to become mech-drivers. Very few of them measure up to her standards, which is pretty much as polite as it is possible to say it." He said with a small, wry laugh. "You must have some rare talent." He looked Vala over musingly. For the first time, he actually seemed to properly look at her, dark, sharp eyes scanning her through his funny gold spectacles, as if she was a particularly interesting equation he'd stumbled upon, that he'd like to pick apart.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"I... uhh..." Let alone starting to babble, Vala had gotten lost almost from the first moment. Some of the words sounded familiar. She vaguely remembered the pre-programmed commands, but Aemer had told her to replace those. And, of course, she knew what the weapons were. But as far as she was aware, the only problem with the mech was that it hadn't been anywhere near as durable as she would have expected from something that was supposed to go fight the squid. The thing had almost broken under her commands, let alone what might happen if any of the squid had landed more than glancing blows.

"I don't know about talent..." Vala eventually managed, mumbling slightly. "The controls make sense." Vala turned her attention back to the food, unwilling to meet Jack's scrutinizing gaze.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Make sense...." Jack echoed thoughtfully. "I see. We should test you on some sims of the more advanced mechas." He said, half to himself, eyes still somewhat absent-mindedly evaluating his subject.

"Dad." Aemer cut in, having kept some tabs on their conversation, and he jerked back to himself with a start, flushing a rather unflattering color as he realized he'd started staring. "I told you he'd think you were an interesting puzzle." Aemer muttered at Vala. Unfortunately, they were all equally spaced around the table and Jack turned an even deeper shade of maroon.

Aemer took one look at his face and started laughing, before continuing with some good humor. "After we eat you should probably sleep and if you've never taken a bath in a bathroom before, I'll teach you how to turn that on tomorrow. You could probably use one." Her rude comment hadn't actually meant to be rude.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"It's fine," Vala replied in response to Aemer's comment about finding her a puzzle. "You're giving me food and a place to stay, after all."

Everyone had to work for their right to stay with a group in the Wastes. It was common knowledge out there, and Vala couldn't see any reason that would be different in the Tortue Cities. If Jack wanted her to pilot a few advanced mechs, whatever a 'sim' might be, that was a small price to pay.

Although she had the nagging impression that his attention wasn't going to get her out of guard duty, as little as she wanted to go back outside the city to fight the squid again. She supposed she'd just have to think of it as in exchange for the food and shelter Jack was providing to her, and not as any repayment for the "right" to live within the city.

Vala paused long enough from eating to give Aemer a bewildered look at her final comment. She had taken a bath. But it didn't matter. She still wanted to sleep, and if she didn't meet their hygiene standards, she'd clean herself more carefully tomorrow. Instead, she simply nodded and returned to quickly eating her food.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
The following day, Aemer stomped her way into Vala's room. It had actually taken her a try. She'd gone into the other guest room first and been greeted with an empty room. Perhaps that was why she was so cross. Or maybe it was that she'd woken up at an unholy time in the morning for no apparent reason other than an annoyingly vivid dream of sitting in front of a squid in a suit, having a very serious conversation about the value of humanity. She hated that dream. It never went precisely the same way - yesterday they'd spent most of the time arguing about whether or not ice cream was a good enough reason not to kill off the human race, and once it had even told her that it was her father - but it always ended with the squid deciding to reach for her, and her waking up with a jolt before figuring out if she'd managed to claw its eyes out. Recurring nightmares. Bah.

"Wake up, meatshield. You can worry about the beauty sleep when you're dead." She said in her loud, no-nonsense voice.

As she had expected Vala's dusty state had left a few marks on the soft rug of the room. They tracked to the bathroom, and when she went in there she discovered an extremely filthy towel and Vala's old clothes. She picked them up gingerly and dropped them into the trash can. "We're incinerating your old clothes." She informed Vala from the bathroom, turning on the bath function of the tub so that it slowly began to fill with water. Then, she stepped out of the bathroom, telling her new housemate, "Someone's coming to pick you up for an evaluation, today. They sent father an email ahead. They won't come until the afternoon, but you don't want to be groggy during the evaluation, and I want to test you on a sim first." She left a small pile of her own clothes atop the dresser, before adding, "Wash up, scrub thoroughly, eat well, and if your evaluation goes well, I'll introduce you to ice cream. Also we need to get you some new clothes. Can't keep having you wear mine. So whenever your first day off is, we'll have to go shopping." She wrinkled her nose. "But, be excited. You get to be trained as a mech-driver. Every little boy's dream. I'll be downstairs waiting for you." Her voice sounded more snappy and matter-of-fact than excited, and like a whirlwind, Aemer just as noisily made her way out of the room, slamming the door behind her and heading downstairs.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala was wide awake the moment Aemer burst into her room. She'd had a hard time falling asleep, and an even harder time staying asleep, but the wastes were too dangerous to give you the luxury of waking up slowly. She sat up in bed, her hands unconsciously reaching for the confiscated dagger that should have been strapped to her leg.

After hurricane Aemer passed through her room, however, Vala worked her way to her feet, heading into the bathroom by blindly following the sound of flowing water. However, a second later she came to a halt when she saw the veritable torrent of fresh water that was dumping out of a faucet and into the barrel-sized tub. Vala gasped, panicking for a second at the sight of so much clean water dumping into the tub as she scrambled to figure out how to turn it off.

It wasn't until she'd sat by the slowly draining tub for a few seconds that Vala suddenly realized that this might be how Aemer had expected her to clean herself.

"So much water..." Vala mumbled, stuck somewhere between shock and indignation at the sheer waste of it all.

But, after a minute of consideration, Vala turned the tub back on and bathed herself "properly", or at least to something that should meet Aemer's standards. This wasn't her house and she had to follow their rules, however much the sight of the sparkling water dumping out of the tap before spiraling off down the drain set her on edge.

After cleaning herself, attempting to do something with the tangled mass of her black hair, and finding some of Aemer's clothes that fit, Vala made her way downstairs towards the smell of food.