MAD: Class S (Peregrine x firejay)

• Welcome back, Iwaku! While we are still working on the site to get it back into shape, we've come back online so you can get back to doing what you love. Check out this announcement for more details.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Genders You Prefer Playing
Primarily Prefer Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
Perhaps it had something to do with Aemer's uncomfortable expression, but Vala found herself unable to reject her request for a checkup, even though she wanted nothing more than to find that room she'd been promised and sleep for a week. Or at least until dinner, when Vala was quite certain her hunger would finally have won over her stress, and she wouldn't puke up whatever passed her lips. She took the glass of water, mumbled a quiet thank you, and took a sip.

Fighting off her exhaustion, Vala nodded. "Alright. How long will it take for him to get here?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, Modern.
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
Aemer gave Vala a once-over, as if trying to decide if she was going to collapse. "Ten minutes, maybe. I warned him that I might be entering my first battle today." Dropping the little tidbit that it had been her first fight hadn't been intentional, but she didn't notice the slip, too preoccupied with considering the expression on Vala's face. "He's a family friend, and he's been my doctor for a while, so he'll probably want to check on me first. Why don't you… go take a shower or something. I was planning to invite him to stay for dinner," she didn't mention that she'd been planning to invite him to stay to stave off a conversation with her dad that was bound to take place at some point or another, "and if you're not up by then, we can call him back tomorrow."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
Vala was too tired and preoccupied herself to notice Aemer's slip in that moment, although the memory of her words would return to the other woman later. Instead, she happily nodded at the idea of a shower. “Cleaning up sounds wonderful,” Vala replied gratefully, trying to recall exactly how long it had been since she’d done anything more than wipe herself down with a dirty rag. “I’m sure the doctor would appreciate it, too.” Silently, she resolved herself to making sure she was awake and attentive enough to get her own examination done once Aemer had been checked over. It seemed only proper, since she didn’t want the other woman to have to call the doctor back just for her sake.

She finished the last of her water, before setting down the cup again. “Do I use the bathroom down here or… is there one upstairs I should use instead?”

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
Aemer gave Vala another critical look, but spoke mildly. "There's a bathroom in every bedroom." She didn't like the idea of Vala tracking dirt everywhere on her way up to the bathroom, but it was probably better for her to have a little privacy after she got out of the bath, and maybe would make it easier for her to get into bed and not fall asleep in the tub and drown herself on accident or something. That possibility had Aemer's brows pulling together in an unintentional frown. "Once you're clean, wrap yourself in a towel and you can grab some clothes from my room." She resisted the urge to ask Vala not to go grab her clothes before washing. "Most of my clothes might be a bit small for you, but look for the more casual clothing, those are mostly looser."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala nodded her thanks, and followed it up with a soft "thank you" as well. She quickly made her way over to the stairs, and wound her way up to the second floor. There was a faint, empty ringing in her ears, born from some combination of hunger, nausea, fatigue, and the pure energy crash that had followed riding entirely on adrenaline for so long. She had to pause at the top of the stairs simply to breathe for a moment, to get the faint ring of blackness that surrounded her vision to fade.

But, as soon as that was gone, Vala pushed herself onwards. The temptation of water and a bed was simply too much for her to resist, even if she would have been perfectly happy to curl up on the floor then and there, if she wasn't certain Aemer would frown on such behavior.

The upper floor was smaller than the lower, or at least it looked so from the hallway, so it didn't take Vala long to find an unmarked door. She didn't really bother to check the alternatives, instead pushing the door open and quickly stepping inside. The room was relatively small but comfortable, with a bed taking up a large majority of the space, and what remained filled with a dresser and a desk. The floor was covered by a thin rug. A sliding door led into what Vala assumed was the closet, while a second, narrow door led into the bathroom.

Vala couldn't help but gape in astonishment at the white tiled room. Everything in it seemed to gleam with the light of a pearl, and it was full to the brim with contraptions Vala had never even imagined could exist, and could barely begin to guess the purpose of. Vala quickly found a towel hanging on the wall, and stripped out of her filthy clothes. They were an old pair, even among scavengers, and at this time were more patch than original cloth. She wouldn't be sorry to lose them.

That left the matter of trying to figure out what she was supposed to use to clean herself in this strange, white room. At first she thought it would be the low-placed bowl resting back against one wall, but it was placed inconveniently enough that she chose to check the other contraptions first, even though it was already full of water. She dismissed the massive half-barrel next. It was far too large for something like bathing. She could practically lay down in the thing.

That only left one option, and it made the most sense as far as Vala was concerned. It was a bowl, placed slightly over waist height, and had what looked to be a bar of soap next to it. A little bit of fiddling with the gears on the side caused water to spit out of the nozzle, causing Vala to grin with pride and satisfaction. She was able to stopper the bowl by pressing down on the silver drain in the middle, which caused a rod in the back to rise as well. Vala filled the bowl with water, before soaking the towel and quickly bathing herself.

By the end of the process, the towel had transformed from clean white into a kind of dingy brown, which left Vala wincing with guilt. She hung it back up all the same, grabbing a second towel, clean and dry, to wrap around herself and venture back out into the hallway in search of Aemer's room.

If the other woman hadn't described it to her, she might not have recognized the symbol on the door as a squid, but with that knowledge and the frame of reference of staring up close at the things for several hours (that, and by pure process of elimination) Vala was feeling confident enough that she'd found the right door to push it open.

At first glance, Aemer's room didn't seem all that different from her own. It had bed, desk, and dresser all the same. However, the resemblance ended there, as Aemer had clearly filled the room with a broad variety of contraptions, scrolls, books, and other things Vala wouldn't have been able to name. Vala fished her way through the closet, tracking down clothes that looked like they might be able to fit her longer form. Worst case scenario, she might end up showing off a few inches of belly, which was far from the worst clothes she'd worn in her life. When she'd been young and growing fast, her mother often hadn't been able to find clothes often enough for her beansprout of a body. Those had been notably smaller on her in comparison to Aemer's clothes now.

Once she was dressed she returned to her room just long enough to drop off the towel. She was desperately tempted to just lay down on the bed, fall asleep, but forced herself to turn away and walk back out the door before she could even test how soft the plush looking bed might be. Vala had done her best to clean herself quickly but thoroughly, but she was certain she'd taken more than 10 minutes in the process, too enamored with clean water to properly rush the process. That meant Aemer's doctor was here, and Vala was going to need to get a checkup.

With a heavy step, Vala walked back down the stairs, wet hair sending rivulets of moisture down her back.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
As soon as Vala made her way upstairs, Aemer lost all semblance of bravado and control and shakily flopped herself down into the closest chair. As she had expected, it took several minutes for Doctor Masterson to arrive, and by that time, she'd closed her eyes and had started dozing slightly. The knock startled her and she almost fell out of the chair, but she somehow made it to the door, composed herself, and let her doctor and good friend in.

The minute she saw him, a brilliant smile blossomed over Aemer's face. Doctor Albert Masterson had been her doctor since she was eight, a close personal friend of her adoptive father's. He had been the first person to make her smile in her new life and had reassured her when she'd been afraid that the initial nightmares had been a sign that she was going squid-side. He was like a second father to her, or she supposed technically a third. She settled back into her chair easily, not bothering to stand on ceremony. He pulled up a chair opposite her, similarly relaxed in this setting.

"So? Your first battle." He asked her, a mild glimmer of amusement in his eye. "Was it everything you had hoped it would be?"

She laughed, the sound a little more teary than she had intended it to be. "More than." Her smile was genuine. "It wasn't much different from the sims, but better, because it was real. Not like my old nightmares at all."

He smiled back at her. "Good. That's good." He pulled his bag up into his lap and took out a stethoscope and flat, electronic device. He pulled up her files and began the series of regular questions he asked about her mental state. The physical exam was less important and would take five minutes. He had just managed to ask her if she'd spoken squiddish on accident when a flicker of movement drew her gaze up to the stairs. Doctor Masterson, seeing her attention diverted, turned around in his seat to look at Vala with mild surprise.

He glanced back at Aemer with amusement. "And this young lady would be...?"

Aemer straightened with a little jump, turning just a little red, realizing she hadn't explained anything yet. She'd been planning to, but it had slipped her mind that it was important to mention Vala before everything else. "This is uhm- Vala! She was my mech-driver today. She's a- I mean, was a scavenger, and is coming to live with us for a bit." He shot her a look, but she ignored it. She would explain the rest of it later. That was all he needed to know for now. "She hasn't been checked yet, so since you were coming anyways, I told her you'd check on her, too." She babbled.

Doctor Masterson stood and approached Vala with a friendly smile, hand extended, electronic tucked under one arm. "Nice to meet you, Vala. I'm Albert Masterson. Feel free to call me whatever you like."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala felt herself tensing up slightly under the doctor’s critical gaze, but tried to force herself to relax as she reminded herself that this man was Aemer’s friend. Presumably. And that meant he had no reason to hurt her. Presumably.

Quickly realizing that her thoughts weren’t helping her to calm down in the slightest, Vala did her best to simply stop thinking. Instead she reached out her hand, gently returning the doctor’s handshake. “It’s… nice to meet you,” she offered, almost hesitantly. “Am I interrupting?”

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Indeed you are," he said gently, "but no one said the interruption was unwelcome." He turned back around and sat down, gesturing for her to do the same. "Please, sit. I just have a few more questions to ask Aemer, and then I will check over you, if you don't mind."

Aemer frowned at Vala slightly, noticing a slightly streaky quality to a patch of skin near her neck. "Didn't you take a showe-"

The doctor cut her off with a single look and went back to asking his questions. Though the questions were somewhat personal in nature, neither he nor Aemer seemed concerned by Vala's presence. It took them a good fifteen minutes or so before they were done.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala nodded, following the doctor back into the living room before perching herself on the edge of a seat. Even a glance would have been more than enough to tell that the other woman was uncomfortable, and that she was already regretting not simply falling over on her bed and having Albert come back another day to check her out. That awkwardness only seemed to grow as Vala slowly began to gather what the doctor was checking.

He was checking Aemer's mental stability. Making sure she hadn't... gone squid. Vala felt herself tremble slightly at the thought, before looking down at her hands, trying to devote all of her attention to rubbing her left hand with her right thumb. Had Aemer told her that was a possibility, when she'd been going over the role of a bioengineer, or mentioning things that could happen on the battlefield? She couldn't remember, and that somehow only made it worse.

At the very least, if the doctor's reactions were anything to go by, Aemer's answers seemed to be perfectly within the book. He nodded frequently, offering comments like "good," and "yes," on a regular basis. Vala did her best not to actually listen, but considering she was in the room with them, and neither of them seemed to care about anything they said around her, it proved surprisingly difficult.

The doctor wrapped up the question with a quick burst about how the battle had wrapped up. How long had it taken her to feel like an individual again? Had any of her thoughts been in squiddish since the battle had ended? Is she comfortable being alone in her head again? Vala shivered again, suddenly incredibly glad that she was a mech, and not a bioengineer. It sounded positively maddening? Why had Aemer signed up for this?

It took a couple of seconds after they were done talking for Vala to look up, and she suddenly realized that the doctor was staring at her. She gulped slightly, but tried to keep her voice calms as she asked "Are you going to be asking me q-uestions, too?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
The doctor laughed, though not unkindly. "Yes, most likely, but nothing about the squids. I'm more interested in your physical health. If you're alright with it, I'd like to get a sample of your blood and measure your height and weight, hearing, blood pressure, breathing, and eyesight, as well as get a bearing of injuries, illnesses, adverse reactions to foods, and any birthmarks you may have. I know this must all be very overwhelming for you." His voice was calm and soothing, in a practiced way. "So, if you're uncomfortable with anything, we can stop any time, and I'm certainly not going to let Aemer sit here and gawk at you while we do it, unless you feel more comfortable with her here." He gave her another brief, pointed look, brows raised, and for the first time in Vala's presence, the other woman flushed slightly.

He turned back to Vala. "Does that all sound okay with you?" He grabbed his bag up and settled it in his lap again, poised to open it, but not about to do so unless she gave her okay. Aemer perched awkwardly on the edge of her seat, ready to leave if asked. She had to check on her father, anyways, she reminded herself, trying to quell the anxiety at Masterson's reaction to one of her answers to his questions. It had just been for a moment, but he had started slightly when she'd told him she thought one of the squid had seemed to recognize her....

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Yeah, that sounds okay." Frankly, Vala wasn't entirely sure she was comfortable with some strange person poking and prodding her, especially considering the usual connotations of a doctor's visit in the wastes. But she was also all but certain that, if she didn't let this man do it, the city would assign someone else to do it only a little ways down the road. And she doubted it would be someone half so understanding as this doctor.

She glanced over at Aemer and offered a half-smile. "I'll see you in a bit, I guess?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Aemer left the room with no need for any further prompting, going into one of the simulation chambers she knew her father favored. He didn't see her at first, tinkering away on one of the machines with the backs open. The machine in question was a small mech no larger than 8 feet tall, certainly not large enough to fit a person inside, but it was intricately designed, a gorgeous shimmering blue with a sleek design. A mechanism had been built into the center of it that popped out set of goggles and gloves connected to the machine with wires. Those would be enough to simulate actually using the mech as it was designed. He had perfected this particular model almost six years ago, but was going over the code on a laptop attached to it, unnecessarily picking at tiny bugs in the program.

He only did that when he was nervous.

The man looked nothing like Aemer, tall and bony with rough black hair pulled back in a sloppy pony tail. There were smudges all over his face and hands and he had the most awful pair of round, gold-rimmed spectacles on his nose. He looked young, certainly too young to have a daughter in her twenties, which made sense since he'd adopted her as a seven year old when he was only 24.

She coughed, and he looked up at her, not looking the least bit startled or surprised. "Ah. Aemer." An awkward silence stretched between them, and then he gestured at her to sit beside him. "Let's talk." He said.

If they'd had dinner to do, she could avoid this, but with Vala there needing a little privacy, this was as good a time to talk as any. She sat down with a sigh.

~~

Doctor Masterson took a syringe, a pair of headphones, and two strange contraptions out of his bag which he began to unfold into a weird plate with a long metal ruler, and a small monitor attached to a floppy bag. "Hold out your arm." He said, wrapping the bag around it when she complied. As he worked, he spoke to her conversationally, "So, tell me about yourself. How old are you? Do you have any family? Just tell me whatever comes to mind, as much as you're comfortable with. No need to stand on ceremony."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala did her best to take slow, deep breaths to keep herself calm as Albert began to pull out his equipment, and focused on following his instructions while she cast her memory back to the wastes. Throughout their little exercise, Vala would follow his instructions silently but obediently.

"I'm... 18? Maybe 19. We... didn't really have any good way of keeping track of time out in the wastes, and I don't know when exactly I was born. I had a mother, and a younger brother. We grew up in this giant metal... ship? I don't know, but whatever it was it had wrecked a long time ago, and been half buried. The underground parts kept the weather off us, though, so that's what we called home. At least until the squid found it, would have been a couple years ago. Somehow, the squid collapsed the upper part, and buried a lot of us underground, which is how I survived. Some time later, those of us who hadn't... starved to death were dug out by a roaming band of scavengers, looking for supplies. That's the group you guys picked me up with."

Vala's words petered out as her brief story came to an end. What else was she supposed to say? What would a doctor on the Tortue Cities even care about? "I... don't really know what else to tell you. Don't have any idea what you need to know."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
After taking her blood pressure, the doctor took a small sample of her blood, placing it in a small cryo chamber big enough for maybe three needles. He was a doctor who made house calls, he had to be prepared for this sort of thing. Directing her to stand on the scale, and reading the height and weight measurements, he continued, "Well, how about just the things I mentioned I needed to know earlier. Have you had any major injuries, or have you ever eaten anything that gave you a rash or made you ill, have you been very sick recently, and do you have any birthmarks. It's a lot to ask at once, I know, so just go over whatever you can remember. It's unlikely among scavengers, so far as I know, but I'd also like to know if you smoke, take drugs, or drink much, and if you are sexually active. Again, tell me as much as you're comfortable with." He said the questions in a neutral tone of voice as he directed her off of the scale and grabbed his flat electronic again, scribbling a few things in there and pulling up a couple programs he would use later to test her eyesight and hearing.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Feeling a bit like a puppet on strings as the doctor guided her through a bunch of tests, Vala ran through the list of questions in her mind, certain she was going to forget a couple of them. "Umm, I'm not really sexually active, but I... didn't always get a say in the matter after I was picked up by that band." She averted her eyes slightly, but focused on trying to remember and answer the rest of the questions.

"I haven't had access to alcohol in... a long time. Never found any drugs. Um... I've definitely eaten stuff that's made me ill. You don't always get a lot of say when you're out in the wastes, so I made do with what I had. Which... sometimes wasn't very good." She shrugged, smiling slightly, clearly trying to fake being unconcerned about that fact. However, something in the way her eyes had widened hinted at how much panic she was hiding at the question. She swallowed and desperately scrambled for another question to answer.

"Umm... injuries! I mean, a bunch of those, too. I've definitely broken a few bones, and cut myself up pretty good, especially when I was smaller. Being skinny, it lets you fit in a lot of places the adults can't go, but can also get you into some dangerous situations. Nothing particularly debilitating though. Obviously, or I wouldn't be here right now."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Something flashed in the doctor's eyes at the first sentence that came out of Vala's mouth, but it was only there for the briefest of moments, before that carefully neutral expression returned. The way she described the food she'd eaten, however, told him that it was probably more likely bad food that had made her ill rather than any allergies, though he wasn't sure why she was acting so squirrelly about a question about food, rather than the topic of her being raped. He checked her breathing with his stethoscope, then said, "I'm going to suggest you get a few X-rays to make sure your broken bones have healed properly, and we are going to have to do a screen for sexually transmitted diseases, though this blood sample will do for now. I'm going to order some vaccines for you as well, they help preventing you from getting sick." He decided to broach the subject of more invasive tests later. The girl didn't seem exactly comfortable around him, yet. "Are you or have you ever been pregnant?" He probed gently, and also asked, "And did the city pick up some of the men you... had to sleep with as well? If possible, I'd like their names."

After she answered those questions, however, he asked her no more, simply directing her through the eye and hearing examinations, and giving her his card to set up another appointment - which he assured her was perfectly normal and Aemer would give her more details if she asked about it - and for if she ever had a medical emergency. There was still a lot to do, as there always was when scavengers got picked up, but he'd gotten most of the basic information, and the poor girl seemed exhausted as well as anxious and uncomfortable.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"I've never been pregnant," Vala replied, one of the few questions she didn't have to consider. However, after that, she paused. "Why... do you want their names if you don't know whether or not I have an STD yet?"

Perhaps part of the reason Vala was so calm about that was, unlike many of the memories of her past, her time with the scavenging group hadn't been among her worst. She'd never gotten particularly close to any of the people there, always held more as an outsider they were bringing along for convenience than actually a part of the group, but they'd kept her fed and sheltered. She wasn't one of the scavengers, didn't go out into the wastes to fight whatever might be laying in wait, so she'd had to pay for her passage in some other way. Some of the men had even tried to be good to her when they'd come calling. She'd been many times more scared when they'd shoved her out on a battlefield to die than when she'd been alone with the men of the scavenger's group.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
For a second, the doctor paused, and when he spoke again, it was clear he'd chosen his words carefully. "Young lady, I may just be a meddlesome old man, but I don't think it wise to expose you again to men who have taken advantage of you. I have no intention of spreading around rumors or taking these men to task, but in the interest of your health and safety, I would also like to check to see that they are not in a position to do so again. If it makes you more comfortable, you can think of it as my selfish desire to protect one of Aemer's friends."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala's eyes dropped slightly, unable to tell exactly how she felt about the doctor's response. His meddling felt strange, almost foreign, but not, entirely, unwelcome. It wasn't like there was any reason for her not to tell him. The scavengers were spread out through the city, and while it was unlikely she'd ever see those guys again, she didn't want them thinking that their deal still stood, that her bed was still open even though they no longer provided her food and shelter. They couldn't do anything for her here, and she had no particular desire to see them again, either. Truly, what harm could it do?

"Um, it was mostly Mal. Malcolm, the leader of the troop. And Josiah, his right hand man. They got... first pick, as it were. But a few others got permission to drop by on occasion. Fivik. Braxton."

Vala listed seven names in total, her thoughts flashing back to each man as the name passed her lips. But, in the end, she completed the doctor's tests, and took his card with hands she was proud to see didn't tremble. She mumbled a quiet thanks, before heading to the stairs to look for Aemer.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
The doctor watched Vala in surprise as she headed up the stairs, but thought perhaps that she wanted to get some rest. Packing up his equipment, he walked over to the door he'd seen Aemer disappear through and popped his head inside. Apparently, he had good timing, because he interrupted what was quite clearly a very awkward silence trying to take place. Aemer appeared to be struggling to say something as her father looked at her with an expression that was not so much disappointed as slightly sad.

"Am I interrupting something?" He asked, mildly, full well knowing exactly what he was doing.

Aemer jumped up, relief clearly plastered all over her face.

Jack Ross-Ford, Aemer's adoptive father, spoke for her, polite as expected. "No, Albert, it's alright. What is it?"

The doctor smiled and addressed Aemer. "Vala went upstairs, but I'm done with her for now. Would you like to prepare dinner?"

"Yep! Yes, sure, I- She went upstairs?" Aemer frowned. "I'm going to go check on her, bye." She left the two men in the room alone, knowing they'd make her way out and her father would probably start setting up dinner. She went upstairs and saw Vala loitering outside of her door, looking uncertainly as if she wanted to knock.

She walked right up to the other woman and asked, "What are you doing?"