MAD: Class S (Peregrine x firejay)

• Welcome back, Iwaku! While we are still working on the site to get it back into shape, we've come back online so you can get back to doing what you love. Check out this announcement for more details.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
One on One Roleplays, Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
One Post a Day, One Post a Week, Slow As Molasses
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Adept, Advanced, Prestige
Genders You Prefer Playing
Primarily Prefer Male
Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
"I see..." Vala agreed, sounding vaguely convinced. Raw talent, huh? Well, she didn't know about those guys, but she certainly didn't see that in herself. Hadn't she nearly died out here? How did that make her talented? She certainly couldn't even dream having been able to pull off any of the few moves she'd seen executed by the elite guard.

Entirely new to mechs, Vala had no idea about the kind of difference an upgraded mobile armor would make to her performance.

Before she could say or ask anything else, a new voice took over her comms. "1956?" it asked, but didn't wait for an answer before continuing. "Man, you sure did a number on this thing. It'll be headed to the scrap heap now that you're through with it."

A shudder ran through the mech, and her broken screen went dark. Green words appeared on the screen, and she was just barely able to make out it's meaning. "Uplinked".

"Come on," the voice continued. "Let's drag you on back to the City, hotshot."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Not Taking RP Invites at this Time
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Intermediate, Adept, Advanced, Adaptable
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, Modern.
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
It didn't take long for the wrecked mech to get dragged back to the hangar, the squidpod floating obediently behind it. With all of the squid in the vicinity gone, Aemer's vision had gone completely black, but she kept her eyes shut. It was just good protocol. With a final little jolt, the pod jerked to a halt, settling down on the ground of the hangar. Only then did Aemer brace herself and deactivate the two parasites.

The second they detached from her, Aemer felt utterly drained. The exhaustion that hadn't come earlier during the battle finally came, and she slumped in her seat with a sigh, opening her eyes heavily. This happened every single time, which was why she hadn't deactivated them while still shaking in the air. She'd done that the first time and promptly thrown up inside the simulator pod. Her hands shaking slightly, she pulled a black leather glove onto her right hand. It was long and fingerless, reaching up to her elbow, the pattern of a long squid worked into the leather. It didn't serve any function, but she used it to cover up the scars of repeated bite marks of the parasites.

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she pushed open the hatch and wobbled onto the hangar floor, pressing a hand against the pod to keep her upright, but otherwise keeping appearances of being completely steady. She was curious to go look for the woman who had been her driver, but she needed to get herself together first.

If Vala got to her first, she would see a somewhat petite woman in her early twenties, dressed in plain, but high-quality clothes, immaculate other than the marks the ancient harnesses had left there. Her long, light brown hair was arranged in braids around her head, as it only was when she was working. The most glaring feature, however, was a double row of large red scars coiling up from her back and marring a large portion of her neck.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Fairly aggressive. I'm perfectly happy to guide the story, but if your posts never move the plot forward at all, then we'll have a problem.
Favorite Genres
Modern fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by high fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Genre You DON'T Like
Not a big fan of purely realistic stories. I want something more than real life in my plots please!
Luckily for Aemer, she would have more than enough time to compose herself before meeting Vala. When her mech was finally released in the hangar, people came to let her out from her locked cockpit, only to realize that the same damage that had broken her screen had also twisted the door to let her out, trapping her inside. With some grumbling, the technicians went to go get spreaders and cutters, prying at faint seams and the hinges to create gaps, and cutting through what couldn't otherwise be pried.

Vala sat through that tensely, wondering how it was almost more scary to be cut out of her own device than it was to face down a horde of squid. Perhaps it was because, here, she was utterly impotent. If one of those people slipped and started cutting through her, there was nothing she'd be able to do except scream.

When they finally created an opening big enough for her, Vala slipped out of her harness and immediately escaped the cockpit, dropping down to the hangar floor with a quick motion. She was immediately tempted to bolt, with only the sight of armed guards nearby keeping her in place. Dammit, what where they going to do to her now?

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
Several Posts a Day, A Few Posts A Day, One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
My Usual Online Time
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Fine doing both! Sometimes I end up aggressive, if no one else is contributing to plot, or if there's one person I feel like is taking over, but if everyone's contributing equally to the pool of ideas, I just let them go ahead and do it.
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Horror, Psychedelic, Gory (gore I can handle as long as it's not gore for gore's sake).
After a few deep breaths, Aemer found her legs again and made her way over to the destroyed machine, which was being swarmed with people. Through the shouts of the people working on the mech, she pieced together that the door was stuck. No wonder, really. That foolhardy plan had been bound to do some serious damage to that shit piece of machinery. Aemer stayed back, watching carefully for some sign of the driver to emerge. When the woman did pop out, she looked a bit frazzled, or exhausted, or harried, or basically all three of those at the same time.

She also looked jumpy, eyeing the guards nervously, and Aemer was immediately reminded of the first words she'd heard coming from the woman's mouth. Oh no. Not a chance. Aemer strode forward and grabbed Vala by the arm. "Don't lose it now, meat shield." She hissed quietly into her ear, feeling as tired as the other woman looked, but keeping the same snappy professionalism in her tone she had used throughout the battle. "You just survived your first battle as the crux of the defense. That means you're about to be branded a hero, whether you like it or not. If you can't put on a good face, at least wipe that dazed panic off your face." Taking support from Vala and offering physical support back, she flashed a polite and confident smile at the guards, slowly trying to walk them towards the hangar doors.

Truthfully, she wasn't completely sure what was about to happen next either, though she assumed some medics would be sent to check on them before rushing for the people in more critical condition.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
As little as she would be willing to admit it, Aemer's voice did steady Vala. She was still convinced that this whole "hero" thing was being exaggerated, but whether she was ready for it or not, this was her life now. Even if she escaped from the hangar, she had nowhere to go. It's not like she could just leave the city.

Slowly, her head turned to look at the owner of the familiar voice. A pretty young woman, surely no more than a year older than Vala herself, greeted her gaze. Unlike Vala's wide, square features and mess of black hair, Aemer seemed delicate and refined, hardly like she'd just walked off a battlefield.

This was the woman that had saved her life who knew how many times in that fight.

Her had moved unconsciously, striking Aemer's face just hard enough to leave behind a tingle, but certainly not hard enough to leave a mark. "That was for calling me retarded," Vala growled, but even before she'd finished speaking, she shook her arm out of Aemer's grip, and flung them around the woman's shoulders, pulling her into a hug, willing or not.

"That's for saving my life..." she mumbled quietly, lingering for just a moment, before pulling back. There was a faint gleam in her eyes.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
The slap was unexpected, and Aemer didn't even have a chance to regain her balance and open her mouth to swear before it changed to something even more unexpected, a brief but oddly emotional hug. Aemer was not used to being slapped, but she could handle it. She wasn't sure what to do with the hug, and she blinked in surprise, openly thrown by the gesture. She took an unconscious a step back once released and almost tripped over her own feet.

It took a shake of her head to get her back into shape, but she still wasn't certain whether to be angry or comforting. "Uhm." She coughed. "Sure. That's... just the job." She awkwardly looked away, unused to being thanked for being a bioengineer. "Now, do you need a minute, or are you ready to get out of here and face..." she pointed at the doors, "whatever the hell is waiting out there?"

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala nodded her head, the quick bobbing of her head causing her black curls to bounce back and forth. "Yeah," she said, before nodding again. "I'm still not sure what you think is going to be out there, but it can't be worse than a bunch of squids. Lead the way, Aemer."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Squid are easy compared to humans." She breathed, half to herself. Taking a breath and taking the mech-driver's arm again, she began steering them towards the door. The people who had swarmed the damaged mech were tearing it apart now that the woman had gotten free, and Aemer knew it, and as much of the other destroyed mechs that could be salvaged, would be taken apart and melted back down to make more mechs. Metal wasn't that easy to synthesize. Other mech-drivers and bioengineers had also disembarked, and most had left already, if they weren't seriously injured. The medics had cast them a glance, but they neither looked like they were in need of immediate attention, so they were left alone for now. She had no doubt that they would be required to visit the doctor's for a checkup later, though. At least she would.

Just as they reached the door, Aemer's free hand plucked the pins from her hair and ran her fingers through the braids to untangle them. She carefully arranged her slightly wavy locks around her neck to hide the scars, then shoved the doors open. People were rushing about through the corridor, probably still arranging to deal with the aftermath of the battle, but only one person took note of them.

An older man with a mustache was standing at the door with a clipboard, and when he saw them he narrowed his eyes. "You." He growled at Aemer.

"Aemer Correny, sir." She told him matter-of-factly, meeting his eyes fearlessly. He looked back down at his clipboard and marked her name, along with the name of her driver, checking the mech number. He did a double take at the woman with Aemer.

"Vala Davans? One of the scavengers we just picked up today?" His voice was laced with surprise, and Aemer also started, glancing over at Vala. "You were in the-"

"Sir!" Aemer interrupted. "If she's a scavenger, don't you think she needs to be assigned to a room?" She asked pointedly, full-on glaring him down.

"Ah, yes." He said gruffly, "There is a room in the barracks that was prepared, assuming you didn't-"

For the second time, Aemer interrupted him quickly. "Actually sir, I think father would be willing to allow her to stay with us. Would you note that down?" Before he had a chance to do much more than scowl at her, she began dragging Vala down the hall.

"You're a scavenger?" She asked, sharply. "How the hell did you learn to pilot a mech like that...?"

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala stuck close to Aemer as they merged among the tide of people exiting the hangar, eager to get home after surviving the chaos of the battle.

Vala had heard a lot of rumors about the Tortue Cities in her life. She'd heard they held most of the population of the world now, that one city could be home to millions of people. Having grown up among hundreds, Vala had never really understood what those kind of numbers meant until now. She couldn't imagine ever seeing this many people in one space, and especially not together. Aemer's back in front of her was a surprisingly reassuring presence, and the young woman did the best to follow her bioengineer's lead.

"Vala Davans," she introduced herself, after Aemer reported herself. She maintained eye contact even as the gruff looking military man turned a piercing gaze in her direction. She'd certainly faced much scarier than him out in the wastes, although she found herself suddenly, unexpectedly, missing the familiar rumble of her mech. It was much easier to be brave when there was ten tons of metal and ammo surrounding you.

So perhaps she couldn't deny a small wave of relief when Aemer interrupted him, pulling his gaze away from Vala and back to the other woman. However, she couldn't hide the slight look of surprise that crossed her own face when Aemer invited her home. If they hadn't been standing in front of a humorless looking 'sir', Vala probably would have tried to make a quip about how bad Aemer's home life must be if she wanted to bring a meat shield home.

And then they were off, Aemer dragging Vala off down the hallway, without another word from the man. Vala allowed herself to be dragged a few more steps, before forcibly shrugging her way out of Aemer's hold. "I didn't," Vala replied, a scowl on her face and all traces of humor gone with Aemer's sharp tone. "I told you. They just picked me up and shoved me into the mech." Aemer's words as Vala begged for help, for release, suddenly flashed through her mind again, causing her scowl to grow deeper.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Aemer sighed and ran her hand through her hair, not really seeming to understand how angry the other woman was about the whole thing. "It was a rhetorical question, mea- You said your name was Vala? It was a rhetorical question, Vala. It was clear from your response that you've never been in a mech before, I just didn't expect you to be a scavenger of all things, someone who's probably never seen a working mech in your life before."

She cast Vala a glance, and brusquely added, "And don't expect me to be the only one surprised about it. Anyone keeping track of the battle would have thought you knew what you were doing. Don't be surprised if people try to talk to you once they figure out who you were on that field. For now, no one knows who you are or what you look like except the general and administrative folks, which is why it's even more important ."

Even as she spoke, she was threading her way through the crowds, clearly knowing her way around the military base. Reaching a large door through which people were flooding to and from the main body of the city, she stopped and turned to have a proper conversation with Vala. "By the way, it's perfectly clear that you don't like me, but my father is a mech designer... among other things. I asked that you be assigned to live with us so that you have the opportunity to practice using mechs with the simulators we have, so you can get more used to it" -and so that Aemer could get a closer look at her fighting- "before the next battle. But no one can force you to stay with us. If you'd rather not, you can go back to the general and ask for the room they prepared for you in the barracks. What do you say? You think you can stand to live in the same building as me for a chance to sneer at the people who assigned you to guard duty just to die?" For the first time since Vala had actually met her, Aemer's cold manner gave way to a glint of something that could be called humor... or savage satisfaction, depending on how one looked at it.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala seemed to miss the trace of humor in Aemer’s words, but not because she wouldn’t have understood that the woman was joking. No, she’d only picked up half of Aemer’s words, because something the woman had said took her entirely by surprise.

“I don’t…” Vala began, before pausing and swallowing awkwardly. “I don’t dislike you, Aemer. You’re the only ally… the only friend… I’ve got right now.” She looked away, unwilling to see the potential rejection on Aemer’s face about Vala calling her a friend. Then again, if the woman wanted her to know that they weren’t friends, she certainly wouldn’t be hesitant about saying it.

“You can just be very rude sometimes.” Vala sighed and shook her head, not really expecting an apology or clarification from the other woman. “We should get going,” she continued, forcing a little bit of cheer into her voice. “And you can tell me more about the Tortue Cities. All I know is what I’ve heard from rumors, and they can be pretty outrageous. Is it true that you harvest meat from the tortoise?”

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Aemer was thrown off temporarily by Vala's answer to her question. She had honestly expected to maybe get slapped again, so she instead gaped slightly while Vala kept talking and then burst into laughter. Smiling broadly she said, "You don't dislike me, huh? Well then, you'd be one of a very few. You also have shit choice in friends if I'm your only one. You should look for your other scavenger friends. It might be hard, but certainly not impossible." Although Vala hadn't directly said she'd be willing to come live with Aemer, her answer had pretty much solved the problem.

Aemer began to move through the crowds, tempted again to grab the other woman by the wrist like a child, but refraining. "The meat from the tortoise thing is a load of bullshit. Food here is synthesized, packaged, and can be bought from the Department of Agriculture. What else have you heard?" She could have simply started launching into an explanation of everything about the Tortue Cities, but it was too much information, and she'd rather start by confirming or shutting down Vala's pre-existing impressions.

The space in front of them was far wider than the hallways in the military base had been, but was still nothing like the outdoors, and other hallways branched off along the way. Aemer took one of these, until the two of them found their way to a station where a bullet train was waiting. Her home was near the very center of the city, and just walking there would take some time. The bullet train would make its way through the city from above most of the buildings, revealing that the widened area they had been in was simply a very long flat building, and the interior of the turtle was far higher though curved, with the buildings getting taller and taller the more towards the center they got.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala's expression fell slightly at the mention of her friends, but, other than a faint shake of her head, she didn't respond. She would find some of the other scavengers when she had the opportunity, make sure they were doing alright, that they had enough food and were able to fend for themselves. She owed them that much, for sure.

"I've heard lots. That most of the people here weren't born but... grown. The specifics on that are a bit foggy. That you use an organic converter on corpses to get power. That you are able to create water from nothing. That no one here ever has to go hungry or fear for their lives..." The last one was said in all but a mumble, the truth of that already made plain to her.

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Aemer gave a slight laugh, noticing Vala faltering at the last bit. It wasn't really a surprise that the scavengers had romanticized life in the Tortue Cities. She started in order. "Some people are engineered. They use DNA to create children, incubate them, and when they're old enough to be called infants, the government offers them to parents who want children, but it's not "most of the people." Plenty of people are still born, it's just that plenty more also die fighting. If they didn't supplement the population, there eventually wouldn't be enough people to populate the city, much less defend it. There is no difference made between the two. I was born, for instance, and so was my mother, but my father was engineered."

She gave another chuckle. "And the rest of that is all hogwash. We get power from solar panels on the surface, mostly, along with wind turbines on the tortoise's bottom shell. There are three giant reactors in the center of the city that could power the main buildings in case of emergency, but core reactors aren't stable when they're that big, that's why we stick to using small ones to power the mechs. Most of our water is either the tortoise's personal store of filtered water or rainwater, though we have a few large condensers that take moisture from the air, which are also just in case of emergency."

She looked out the window of the speeding train as she added without another trace of humor, "As for the last thing... even the people who never touch a mech live in fear of the squid. We have defenses, but we are also big, slow, easy to spot. Even a small company of squid breaking free of the defenses could kill hundreds before the guard could stop them." She lifted her hair slightly to show off the scars, and her expression was something of a rueful grin. "As I have clear proof. We are also still people. There is some little crime, and the poor and homeless." She shrugged. "It's better than being on the ground for sure, but it's not perfect."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala nodded quietly, a little sadly. "It makes sense," she replied. "I think everyone dreams of a better fate. Still, when we were picked up, so many people were so... happy. Some of them cried tears of joy as we were lifted into the shell, believing that they were finally going to be able to live, safe and comfortable. I wonder how many of them have felt their illusions shattering by now."

She rolled her shoulders, before turning to face Aemer, drawing herself out of her memories once more. "You should probably tell me the rest. Well. At least important things I should know. Especially if I'm going to be getting as much attention as you seem to think I will."

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Probably none more than you and whoever else got roped into guard duty." Aemer said, drily, in response to Vala's almost wistful wonderings. So far, Vala had found herself in the job with the highest mortality rate in the city. The others were probably just finding their glamorous ideals fading.

Needing no further prompting, Aemer launched into an explanation of the important points of the city. "Now that you've been picked up, registered, and assigned a job, you are an official resident of the Tortue Cities, specifically number Twenty-Four, which you only need to know whent he Tortue Cities get together. It's not very often, but it'll happen a few times during your lifetime, and some people get switched to another city when that happens. The Tortue Cities are each governed by a council of sorts. Each member has to go through a nomination and review period by judges and a board of previous council members, and then have the job for a period of five years, before having to go through nomination and review again. The exception is the Head of Council, who retains the job for three years, and can't have more than two terms."

She pursed her lips and thought about what else she should mention so as to catch Vala up, but not overwhelm her. "You have a salary. It's not very high, as most people forced into the military have their food, clothes, and lodging provided for them, but it comes with healthcare and insurance that would be sufficient to help provide for your family when you die, should you have any. You will receive a letter containing information on your identification number, your exact salary, which doctor you should refer to should you ever need medical help, and whatever else you need to do, I believe." This was what she had heard the procedure was for scavengers who got picked up, but she wasn't completely sure about it. "But for now, don't worry too much about those things. My father and I can help you with day-to-day things as they come up."

"As you can see," she gestured out the window, "we live under the shell of the tortoise, but excursions to the surface are allowed when we're pretty sure we're clear of squid, which is pretty much going to be any time you're not working, for you. Speaking of work, no one is locked into a specific type of work, for the most part... except for people like you. You've essentially been conscripted, and since people aren't expected to live very long in this field, that conscription is until you've died or can no longer operate a mech. Welcome to life as a permanent meat shield."

She eyed Vala from the corner of her eye, and then leaned closer and began speaking a little more quietly. "People here need heroes, Vala. We have the elite guard, but we always have, and that hasn't stopped the squid from breaking through sometimes, and it hasn't meant an end to the attacks. They need hope that it ends at some point. That means raising people like you onto a pedastal until the novelty of you fades and they realize all over again that even good fighters and improved mech tech can't solve the squid problem. I do expect you to get attention. If not now, then in the next few battles, if you survive them. It'll fade eventually, but until it does, you are going to become a symbol of hope. Which means at some point you don't get to slap me in public or have mental breakdowns in front of other people or anything else you may want or need to do. When anyone is watching, including fellow soldiers, you hold it together."

She shrugged and went back to her normal volume. "But, well. Don't have to worry about that either until you start getting recognized. For now, just focus on getting used to life here. We usually have a few weeks at least until the next group of scouts finds us." The train slowed to a stop, and they arrived at another big station, not unlike the one they had left, though this one opened up to the streets of the city.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala found herself unconsciously shaking her head in response to Vala's words. "I'm no hero." However, rather than protest, her words sounded almost like agreement. Aemer had said it herself. This city didn't care about whether or not she was a hero, about whether or not she could save anyone. All they wanted was someone to place on a pedestal, to raise the citizen's morale while people continued to die in staggering numbers out on the battlefield.

She thought about saying more, thought about the fact that she didn't really care what other people thought about her, that she'd faced enough out in the wastes that some abstract social pressure wasn't going to force her to act like a completely different person, but figured the point didn't really need mentioning. Aemer was also right when she said this didn't matter right now. She'd make her point clear when it came time to make her point.

"I suppose they're probably going to want to give me a medical examination too," she said instead. "Make sure I'm not bringing in anything unnatural from the wastes." Her nose wrinkled slightly at the words, in some combination of indignation at the thought of having to completely bare herself before strangers, and disgust at the memory of some of the things people had brought home from scavenging. She couldn't blame them for the decisions, but that also didn't mean she had to like it.

"How much further is it to where you live?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"Yes, they are, but not just because of diseases you might be carrying with you." Aemer said with a snort. "They didn't have time before the battle, but the rest of your friends have probably already gone through it. They want to know as much of your health record as you can provide them. Old injuries, blood type, weight, height, allergies, signs of malnutrition, contact with squid. Plus, there's the post-battle examinations for physical trauma. I have to take those, too, though with me those include blood tests and psychological tests to make sure I'm not turning squid-side. Psychological tests for you will come later. When you've been in the game long enough." It was a bit crude to call battle a game, but calling it anything else was too grave.

By the time she finished that explanation, they had made their way to a tall building (a relative term in the inside of a turtle) peaked to a spire, the tip not quite brushing the turtle's shell., so she smiled, and said, "We're here."

Pushing open the double doors, she led Vala to an elevator, taking them to the seventh floor. The elevator didn't open to a hallway, though, as in the first floor, but an open space filled with light. To one side, there was a small kitchen and some comfortable seating aside a wall of some kind of reinforced glass to give a view of half the city, to the other, a wall with several doors set into it. The ceiling was high and swooping, but there was clearly a second level to the dwelling, as a balcony of sorts looked down over the floor they were on. Though a relatively neat and bare space, with a minimalist design, bits of machinery were scattered here and there, some just random pieces, others full-on protoypes of mechs or squidpods, none of them appeared to be arranged in any order.

"To the left is a bathroom, stairs, simulation rooms, storage rooms. Upstairs there's another bathroom and four bedrooms. You'll sleep in one of the guest bedrooms. Just pick a door without any markings on it. My father's door is always smudged with something. Mine has a squid drawn on it." She sighed. "I did it when I was 8, as part of a... an exercise. Do you have any questions? You hungry or want to go... somewhere?" The mundanity of daily life was a bit weird after a fight, and she honestly could not think of anywhere Vala would want to go or anything she would want to do in her free time. Especially since, come to think of it, she didn't know anything about Vala.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
SITE SUPPORT
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Primarily Prefer Male
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
Vala followed Aemer into the structure, her eyes going wide at the sight of it. She'd seen some traces of the old world's construction out in the wastes, but it had always been broken, posing great risk to anyone who entered. This, though, was clean and elegant. She'd never seen anything like it.

Then again, she'd never seen anything like the Tortue Cities all the way around. When she'd first seen the giant leg of the tortoise step over their encampment, she'd thought for one wild moment that the sky was falling. Now, it was all she could do to keep from acting like a total country bumpkin. All the same, she found herself unconsciously staggering when the elevator surged underneath her, and she hesitated before stepping out into Aemer's home.

It wasn't until the other woman started talking again that Vala remembered to pay attention again, "Mmm..." she mumbled, before swallowing. "I'm pretty sure I'd puke if I ate anything right now. Do we... need to tell your father I'm here? Will he care?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
DONATING MEMBER
Roleplay Invitations
Posting Speed
My Usual Online Time
Writing Levels
Male, Female
Favorite Genres
Genre You DON'T Like
"So.. no food then." Aemer said, starting to feel a little awkward. She poured a glass of water anyways and came around the counter to offer it to Vala. "My father is... well, he'll care more about where I got you from and what you're capable of than the fact of your staying. He doesn't exactly approve of my chosen vocation, but he'll most likely think of you as an interesting puzzle and set to work on you right away. He's probably in his office right now, working on something." She gestured at one of the doors on the floor. Her father usually picked one of the simulation rooms to do his work. "So it's better not to disturb him until dinner. I'm about to call my doctor for one of my regular exams. Do you think you're up to him giving you an inspection, too?"