Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. Multiple posts per week
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
High fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by modern fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
The fight continued in ebbs and tides, the battle seemingly balanced between the mech fighters and the Calamar. The mech fighters would push forward against the Calamar, only to end up pushed back again when a new set of bosses appeared. Across the field, the bioengineers would help the mech fighters target the bosses, and once they had fallen, they would be able to push back against the invaders again.

However, the Calamar weren't the only one to take losses. Mech fighters fell everywhere, leaving behind wreckages and detonations as their missiles launched upon their deaths. Every time a mech fell, the perimeter would weaken. Should that weakening coincide with a fight against the bosses, then the whole line would be pushed back. This wasn't a battle for victory, it was a battle for survival, and there was no telling when the squid would run out.

Vala had never been this tired in her life. She'd faced serious situations before, the wastes were littered with danger, but she'd never had to maintain such intense concentration for so long. At this point, the young woman barely even knew what she was doing anymore. All she knew was that her fingers never stopped moving, even as her arms burned in complaint, the mech shuddered and lurched around her, and the Calamar fell before her in waves. Vala had no way of knowing that she'd become the anchor of the ground defensive perimeter, her pushes forward and back defining the outward bounds of the land fighters.

Red lights flashed all across her screen, issuing warnings of mounting damage that threatened her almost as much as the squid did. In a brief lull, she muted the warnings of the mech, growing tired of their constant disruptions to her fight. "How much longer can this go on?" Vala whispered, having no idea she'd spoken out loud.

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. Multiple posts per day
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Slice-of-Life, Modern.
Aemer had heard the whispered words just barely through their communication system. They had been so faint she wasn't really sure she hadn't imagined them through the fog of her link with the squids. She answered anyways. "Forever. It always feels like forever." She wasn't really talking to the other woman, but rather herself.

When you were one with the squids, your only true conception of time was what the human part of you kept. The human part of you felt like you were part of an endless nightmare. Killing mechs, killing squid, both were the same as killing yourself. The squid part of you didn't care. "But the end comes, eventually." She reminded herself. "You'll know it when you hear it. They'll pull together one last attack."

She tried not to think about the fact that sometimes those last attacks succeeded and the squid made it to the city. Or that the most mechs died during the last phase of the battle. Sometimes the last attacks were feints, nowadays, and mechs got lured into a false sense of security before being blind sided. But the end always came, and she was always going to live to see it.

"A group being shuffled towards you from the left I think by another bioengineer." She barked out, business as usual. Unconsciously, she had stopped giving Vala directives for the things that didn't need some extra planning. "Squid up front retreating is a feint, they're planning to blitz you."

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
On fairly regularly, every day. I'll notice a PM almost immediately. Replies come randomly.
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
High fantasy is my personal favorite, followed closely by modern fantasy and post-apocalyptic, but I can happily play in any genre if the plot is good enough.
Perhaps it said something about how tired the fight had left Vala, or how in sync she and Aemer had gotten over the course of the fight, but the mech driver barely even distinguished Aemer's comment from the sound of her own thoughts, and the rumble of the mech. Still, she felt reassured. This was a reality, not some strange nightmare dream. It would come to an end. Until then... she just had to keep fighting.

Vala lunged the mech forwards, as though planning to follow the retreating Calamar, her eyes flicking across the screen, waiting for a trace of movement from the squid in the sky. When she saw it she slammed the mech backwards, causing the joints to groan in complaint and a red light to flash, but she hurtled backwards out of the way of the attack, flinging the mech towards the group oncoming from the left. Several of the squid had too much momentum, crashing heavily into the ground. Sword in the mech's left hand, gun in the right, a combination Vala had found herself favoring for its versatility, she plunged into the confused group of Calamar, swinging to kill even as her gun fired forwards at the confused bundle she'd just left in the dust.

Vala was only a few moments away from clearing this group when she noticed something strange. The shrieking, popping sound of the squid had stopped, replaced with an eerie, vibrating silence. The squid didn't even bother to dodge her attacks as they trembled. Somehow, this lack of response was even more off-putting than their ferocious attacks had been.

"Aemer..." Vala mumbled. "What's going on?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
My times are pretty erratic, but it's only really rare to see me PST 3-11am. I'm on most of the time.
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
For a second, Aemer was also stunned into silence, not because of the behavior of the squids, but because of what had stunned them all still. That sound rang in her head. There was no real translation for it, nothing one could call it but an instinctive warning. Her heart rate sped up exponentially and she finally slammed her finger against the call for the second parasite, ready to activate it.

Aemer swallowed, finding herself suddenly breathing hard. "They're coming. The last bosses. Get ready." She couldn't get any other words out beyond that, except a quiet, "if you thought you were scared before, you were wrong."

Three enormous squid approached, two in the sky, one on the ground. They did not seem to be in much of a hurry, and they were preceded by the last remaining squid of this attack, including all of the lower bosses, but they dwarfed them all. The squid that had been in front of the mechs planning attacks all scuttled back into the protective sphere of the last bosses' influence.

The one on the ground let out a single, howling shriek, and the squid around it arranged themselves into a V formation, suddenly running forward as one. They were still far off, but there was no mowing them down with machine guns now. That sort of thing would not work with the big bosses out.

Aemer released the second parasite, sharpening her control and clarity significantly, though at the same time exposing herself to a dangerous level of venom. What she heard alarmed her. "They've identified you as the biggest threat, meat shield!" She shouted urgently. "They're going to overwhelm the others on the ground with numbers and send most of the lower-bosses to you! I'm currently identified as a mid-level boss, but I'm not going to have a lot of control over these. If they coordinate with the aerial bosses, too, this is not gonna be good." She sucked in a breath, trying to get a more complete reading of the squid coming their way, though they were still a bit far off.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
"Me?" Vala all but squeaked, not entirely believing what she was hearing. "Why am I the biggest threat?" The question was entirely rhetorical, but Vala's confusion was not. She was... well, exactly that. A meat shield. Someone newly shoved into a mech, without an ounce of training other than what the battlefield had given her. How could she possibly be the biggest threat!?

"I'm so dead," Vala mumbled, but her complaint didn't stop her from readying herself for combat. She'd seen how ineffective the guns were in the face of the lesser bosses, there was no telling how little it would do now that she was up against greater bosses. Instead, she prepped herself with sword in her right hand, shield in her left, and desperate pounding in her chest.

"Missiles?" she finally asked. "Will they be effective?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
"Effective?" Aemer snorted. "You have no idea." Despite being bulky, heavy, costly, and dangerous when damaged, every mech came equipped with one, because they were very effective. While mechs had some external protection against the explosive force when prepared, one missile could rip through hundreds of squid at once, and an explosion like that wasn't easy to dodge, alien powers or not.

She clarified a little further. "It doesn't work on the big bosses unless you get them to swallow one, but even they can't protect the underlings from one. It's effective on low-level bosses, too, but mid-levels are a hit or miss. It'll at least stun them, though. Though if you're too close, it might stun you, too. What are you thinking?"

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
Vala let out a quiet hum in response to most of Aemer's statements. The Calamar were getting closer, and they were going to have to take action soon. And if Aemer was telling the truth about them coming for her, she was going to have to find something more than what she'd been doing so far if she wanted to live through this.

"I'm thinking," she finally said. "That we're going to have to find some way to use those missiles effectively, if we want to get out of this alive. How hard is it going to be to gather as many bosses as possible into one place?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Aemer had a response ready, having guessed that her driver might try something like that. "Even just gathering would be hard, but they're all going for you anyways," she bared her teeth in a slight grin, though her eyes were still closed, and her hands were shaking ever so slightly from the effects of the two parasites, "and there is no one better at handling the squid than me." Even as her first time outside of a sim, Aemer's confidence in that was unshaken.

"The big question, though, is where. Get them too close, and you're just as likely to damage us as them. Fire from too far away, and it gives them a chance to scatter before detonation. You'll still get a lot of them, but not enough to make a difference. If you don't time this right, you have to be prepared to retreat. We only have two of these." She cautioned. She had seen this mech do some crazy things today but getting the timing for this right was going to be a stretch, and was going to lose them their main chance to escape if it went wrong.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
Hearing Aemer's words, a risky idea suddenly appeared in Vala's head, in time with an explosion far over her head. Mechs were meant to fly. If she could time the blast right... "How close do you need to be to me? Because I'm pretty sure... If you don't need to be close... I can put myself just outside the immediate blast and ride the shock away. That wouldn't give any of the squid in front of me a chance to escape." She kept the fact that it would probably all but obliterate her mech as well to herself.

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
That... did not go in the direction Aemer had expected it to, and her mouth dropped slightly open in surprise, before abruptly snapping back to her usual outrage. "Are you fucking insane? What did I just say? One of those can damage us if you're too close to it! Sure, it will propel us forward at speeds high enough to surprise the squid, but it may just as well destroy all your defenses and disable the mech entirely." Aemer knew at a basic level how mech works, she didn't know a ton about them in general, certainly not enough to say with any confidence what an explosion of that caliber would do. Even though she had no idea that Vala's vigorous activities had already strained the mech, this sounded mad to her.

She mumbled somewhat to herself, "I mean, I can move the squidpod pretty far from you, closer to the squid instead, but this is a bumfuck stupid idea." The mass of bosses were getting dangerously close, and nothing better was coming to mind. "Bumfuck stupid. Ah shit, looks like that's our best bet. If you go down, though, I'm totally abandoning you." She snapped, unkindly, before maneuvering her left hand from the restraints and poking at the console. She did not like doing this while connected to the squid, especially with two parasites impairing her vision of the inside of the pod, but it looked like they didn't have a choice. After a few button presses, the pod warned, Warning. You are attempting to override the automatic mech-following mechanism. Please do not-

Aemer ignored the voice, and pressed confirm, a joystick popping into her hand and allowing her to jerk the pod forward gracelessly. It was awkward traveling this way, and she did not like it, since it split her concentration, but once she was almost joining the mass of non-boss squid heading towards one of the other mechs, she stopped its movement, focusing back on the group of bosses heading for her mech. "You'll only have a moment, you ready? I'll get the aerial ones to dive bomb you right as you fire so they'll miss you." She tensed, reaching out to the other squid, and suggesting they attack as one group, moving together in a close mass to present as a more dangerous target. She could sense the big bosses eyeing her connection curiously, but did not flinch at it. Together, she urged, very close together. Fliers should speed straight down from above. But not yet. Not yet.

Why? One of the last bosses seemed to ask.

Because we need it to be focused on the ground. We need to attack all together. She answered back. It was really kind of odd sometimes how it felt like the squid were constantly holding some kind of war council in their heads. They were part of the action, but not really part of it, as if their minds and bodies were not exactly the same thing.

"Say the word, meat shield." She grunted.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
Vala gulped, closing her eyes for a brief moment. But she didn't have time to worry or wonder. The squid were coming right at her, in numbers she'd never even dreamed possible. She'd been struggling to fight against a single lesser boss in this mech, and now there were so many that she could barely even count them all. If she didn't do this, she was screwed. Simple as that.

And then her fingers were moving, even as she spat out the word "go!" Vala's mech was plunging forward, sword and gun in hand, futilely firing at squid who passed right around her attacks. They were getting closer, the squid were falling in from above...

With her mech's warning controls muted, Vala couldn't hear the almost desperate cries of her mech as she aimed one of her rockets only a few dozen meters in front of her. It was probably a good thing, as there was a decent chance Vala would have lost her nerve if she'd heard the chilling statistic "death 87% certain".

And then there was no time to worry about anything, because there was a whistling she could hear even through the mech, and she was flying through the controls, using the backward propulsion of the missile in combination with her own jets to fling herself up into the sky, barely clinging on to her sword. On the ground, a flaming explosion burst, tearing innumerable henchsquid and their lesser bosses into shreds, and Vala rode the shock upwards, her sword cutting through other bosses as she tumbled like so much flaming refuse back towards the city. The squid around her seemed to slow and stagnate, their commands and control suddenly lost as the bosses perished, and Vala followed up their shock with a swift death, bullets firing through her gun.

There were red lights flashing everywhere within her cockpit, and the mech was barely responding to her controls. One of the legs was completely gone, and she suddenly realized she could no longer get the mech to swing the sword either, it's shoulder and elbow joints completely ruined from strain. One of her jets let go, all but exploding due to the strain she'd put it under, and Vala began to tumble, spinning out of control as her imbalanced thrust shoved her way off course. She'd barely be able to move the mech once it crashed to the ground....

With no time left, she targeted her second missile, sending it flying off, and then closed her eyes to pray for the best.

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
The minute she heard "go," Aemer issued her own command urgently. Now! The squid on the ground surged forward as the ones in the air fell from the sky. Had this been an unanticipated attack, any mech-driver would have died, no matter how high quality the mech was or how capable the driver. And they got all the glory. The thought ran in the back of her mind as a distraction, as she seemed to watch in some kind of slow motion as the missile fired. She didn't expect it to go forward. Neither did any of the squid, and at that close range, it destroyed a large number of them sending the mech high into the sky in the process.

For half a second, Aemer had hope. Then she saw the mech. It was still fighting, but its movement was jerking to a halt, the driver clearly no longer in full control. An entire leg was gone, and what remained was in tatters. If that woman got away from the ground collision without some sort of injury, it was going to be a minor miracle.

And then the madwoman aimed the second missile, and Aemer scrambled to gather the rest for another attack. Forward. She urged. Too late, the missile shot out, slamming into the slowly gathering crowd and wiping out most of those in its blast radius. They'd gotten a lot, but it wasn't enough. Her lips twisted in a slightly bitter expression, knowing with her million eyes that her mech had fallen. She stretched out her influence, keeping the squid from swarming the break in the line and taking advantage of it, but it wouldn't hold them long, and the rest of the mechs might not be enough to shore up the gap. They needed a miracle.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
The impact Vala expected never came. Instead, an unfamiliar voice came through her speaker in a burst of static. "You've got some chutzpah, rookie," an almost laughing voice commented. Vala blinked to herself. Who would be laughing in this kind of situation. "I like it!"

It was then that she finally noticed the gleaming silver mecha that seemed to have caught her out of midair. It hovered in space, jets thrumming so quietly Vala couldn't make them out over the cry of the battle, strange weapons attached to it's back. If Vala had lived in the city, she would have recognized it as one of the elite mech of the guard, piloted by the best of the best. Even a missile blast wouldn't be able to knock one of these things out of the air, if the pilot could control it correctly.

"You certainly put a good dent of them," the unknown, cheerful voice continued. "Don't worry, we've got it from here."

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
The word was out. The troublesome mech was done for, and there was no more point focusing on it. Squid were slipping from Aemer's grasp, darting forward to test the new gap in the defenses, the remaining bosses growing ever more confident. Then, one squid drew attention to a new mech that had arrived, a shining silver vehicle that had caught the nearly broken one. A surge of relief took Aemer, because she recognized it. The elite guard were here. "Thank God." She whispered, but it was swiftly followed by an, "oh shit," because she had relaxed just enough to miss a small grouping of the last ground bosses moving forward past the other mechs.

Stay back. She warned. More troublesome mechs. Stay back. The squid hesitated for just a moment, but without a mech driver to take advantage of it, her actions meant nothing. It was a good thing there was. A bronze mech with iridescent green accents slammed into the group as it landed on the ground, simply squashing a few flat. One of the squid that had survived the impact attempted to throw the mech off, but the driver turned on the jets on its feet, jumping into the air while crisping the foolish survivor. It landed hard again and with a whir, the feet suddenly gained wheels, sending the customized mech zipping through the crowd, utilizing a brutal combination of net and sword to thrash the squid out of its way.

The squid were unsettled. She could feel it. Focus, Aemer, don't relax. She cautioned herself, knowing that the squid could still have more planning to defeat the guard. It wasn't the first time they'd run across them, after all. As it was, the confusion and distress the appearance of the elite guard was sowing was making the squid more disorganized and frantic, easier to simply rip through, and all around she could see the few specialists taking full advantage of it to free the other mechs from the swarms of underlings, even reinforced with the protection of the last bosses. An ember of pride burned in her chest. They were winning!

The green and bronze mech found its way next to her, and a voice crackled into the pod through her speakers. It was uncommon for other mechs to have an automatic communication line with each other, because it caused confusion with bioengineers being a thing, but a high-spec mech like this would have no problem reaching out a direct line. "You with the mech that nearly got destroyed back there?" A calm, stern voice asked her.

"Yes, sir." She said, tone far from reverent, but polite enough for her. Something caught her attention, and she spoke before thinking about it. "The last boss on the ground has lowered its defenses and is underprotected. It's the perfect time. We need to take it down now. Might wanna grab a friend, though, it could be a trap."

She swore again in full hearing of the elite guard, realizing she was not talking to her own mech. Heck, she wasn't even sure if the original mech was still functioning well enough to hear her. The elite guard wasted no time. "Got it. But watch your tone, small fry." He said, sharply, even as the mech seemed to fly past her on its wheeled feet.

"I'll watch my tone when I don't have two leeches pumping me full of venom." She called back defiantly, unsure and uncaring if he could hear her.

A slightly more pleasant female voice spoke, crystal clear. "Two parasites, huh? Ambitious. See you after the battle, spawn." She said, a cheerful lilt to her voice. Spawn was a half-derogatory, half-endearing term for bioengineers who were good at what they did... and therefore more likely to go mad and start exhibiting squid-like behavior, and to be called such by a member of the elite guard brought a smile to Aemer's lips.

With the squid so heavily distracted by the reinforcements, Aemer took the opportunity to put her pod back in auto-follow mode, causing it to drift back towards Vala. "Meat shield!" She tested, when she thought they were close enough. "Can you hear me? We're going to win this. It's almost over." She said, the excitement palpable in her voice.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
The mech that had caught Vala stalled just long enough to lower her broken mech to the ground, before flying away to join the rest of the battle. For several moments, Vala simply sat there, panting. She'd lived. Somehow.

Her screen was almost completely broken, and fractals of bright light raced across her vision. All the same, she could see the way the newly arrived mecha dove into the battle like fish falling into water. The squid fell around them, and it almost seemed like it was impossible for anything, boss or not, to stand against them. Finally, Vala was able to understand why the Tortue Cities hadn't fallen yet. It was because they had people like this protecting them.

She wished her screen wasn't broken, so she could watch the way they fought. Hell, she wished her mech wasn't broken, so she could stand back up and join them. However, even under the promptings of her gestures, the mech's engines simply whined in complaint, before sputtering back to half-broken silence. Vala felt like swearing, but only thumped her head back against its head rest in the end.

A burst of static sounded right next to her ear, causing Vala to wince. It took her a moment to pick out the words through the white noise. Apparently her last attempt to move had damaged her receiver.

"Yeah. Yeah, I can hear you." Vala's voice was almost deadpan, tinged with only the faintest touches of relief. "Looks like we live after all."

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
The mech-driver sounded tired, in sharp contrast to Aemer, who was still riding the high of tier impending victory. She kept the two parasites activated just in case the squid had a backup group waiting to ambush them as soon as they let their guard down, but she was barely using her connection at this point. Except to observe. "Are you seeing this?" She asked rhetorically, unaware that her voice was coming in choppy to Vala and the other woman could not, in fact, see what was going on. The guard had cleared out most of the lower bosses, and the rest of the mechs, invigorated by the hope of victory, were taking care of the regular squid.

The more interesting fight was with the last bosses. Even for the elites, last bosses were tough. Thankfully, they were also the opponents the elites were most used to handling. The green and brown mech had done as she had suggested and grabbed a friend, and the two of them had blasted a way through the ground boss's defenses, swooped through and around almost all of its attacks, including occasional balls of fire it shot from its mouth, and eventually managed to damage it enough to plant an explosive device on it. There were other ways to kill bosses once you got their nearly magical abilities out of the way, but that was, by far, the most effective way.

The ones in the sky were being a bit more difficult, because she had been right about the land boss having let down its guard, but they were also being made short work of. "Someday, that's where I'm going to stand." She breathed. "Someday soon."

After the last bosses died, the remaining squid were no trouble at all, most fleeing, while the rest easily followed the suit of their masters and were vanquished. The silver mech returned, with barely a scratch, and carried the ruined mech all the way back to the hangar. No ambush attack came. For today, the Tortue Cities had been protected again.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
"No," Vala mumbled, squinting unconsciously as she tried to make out anything through the mess of her broken screen. "I'm not seeing anything."

She gave up a moment later, thumping her head back against the rest once more. Her mech was too broken at this point for her to even crawl her way back towards the city. There was nothing for her to do but sit back and wait until someone came to haul her mech back to the bay, and finally freed her from this little metal death trap. Her fists clenched against her legs, nails biting into the meat of her thigh. This might be the end of the fight today, but she knew, she just knew, they were going to be sending her out again.

Abruptly, her thoughts flashed back to the mech that had caught her from her downwards plunge. Who had that been? She hadn't seen anything more than a flash of silver through her screen, before it had vanished off towards the swarm, wading into the Calamar like a hot knife sliding through butter.

"Who were those guys, anyways?" Vala asked, faint traces of indignation in her voice. "And why are they only out here helping now?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
"'Those guys'" Aemer could tell that her own version of indignation was accidentally slipping into her voice, "were the elite guard of our Tortue City. Every Tortue City has one. At least every one that still exists. They are the best of the best, equipped almost exclusively with the best personalized mechs manufactured. They're strong, but not a resource you want to overuse. If they jump into every battle before things get desperate, they wouldn't be able to strike when it counts, or they wouldn't be available if a second attack comes unexpectedly." She bit back a demand to be a bit more respectful with a light snort, remembering she herself hadn't been terribly respectful either.

Peregrine

Waiting for Wit
Original poster
SECURITY DEPARTMENT
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per week
  4. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
  2. No Preferences
Genres
Vala ground her teeth in frustration, but bit back the retort she wanted to snap back at Aemer. Great. So they're back there, waiting in reserve , while we're out here dying.

All the same, she found her eyes unconsciously drawn back to the streaks of color and movement that she could barely make out on the screen. As indignant as she might be, she wanted to watch them, to see the way they fought, and the way their mechs moved. Something about it made her heart pound. Vala couldn't help but wonder what it would feel like to have a machine like that under her fingertips.

"And what exactly is it that makes them the best of the best?"

firejay1

The Phoenix
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  2. 1-3 posts per day
  3. One post per day
  4. 1-3 posts per week
  5. One post per week
Online Availability
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
"You know," Aemer said, absent-mindedly, eyes still closed, "skill and battle experience honing pure raw talent. Some people make it there by surviving a lot of battles, but usually they get through a few battles displaying a shocking level of expertise and get recruited that way. Hell, you and I are probably going to be eyed for recruitment after today's battle. For someone who didn't even know how to calibrate your machine, you handled that mech like you were born to."

She grinned. Vala didn't know it, but that was high praise coming from her. "It's harder to evaluate a bioengineer, because they work behind the scenes, but sic one with different drivers and see if they keep making it out alive, and it's a good bet you've got yourself a bioengineer who knows what they're doing."