1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
  3. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Science Fiction, Fantasy, Science Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Historical, Shounen-ai and Shoujo-ai, Psychological, Steampunk and... well, I'm actually up for most kinds of role plays.
Lurking_zpssk739lfu.jpg

IN THE BEGINNING, humans and monsters could peacefully coexist, living, laughing and loving together. However, as all beautiful things are fated to crumble, eventually even this truce came to an end. A war that would change the entire future broke out between the two races. For many years they fought. Villages were burnt down to the ground, families were shattered and countless lives were lost. Humans gained victory, and the few remaining monsters were forced into hiding. As time passed and the human society evolved, the tales of wars and monsters were lost. Eventually monsters became a mere forgotten legend.

Until about twelve years ago. One particular group of the monsters had grown tired of having of living in the shadows of the human race. They wanted the right to exist, the right to live their lives peacefully without resorting to secrecy and lies to keep themselves safe. So they revolted. Hundreds of human lives were lost in the attack during what would later be known as Bloody Friday. Yet in the end it was still the humans who came out victorious. And the lives for many of the monsters would change drastically.

In response to the attack, the government formed the MMW (Ministry of Monster Welfare), and introduced Operation Fox and Hound. One by one they would hunt down the perpetrators of Bloody Friday and deal them the punishment they deserved. However, it did not end there. Due to Bloody Friday the government views monsters of all kinds, whether aggressive or benign, as potential threats. Because of it we monsters live in constant fear of being captured and brought to what we call ‘The Facility’. What goes on behind those walls remains a mystery, even to us. All we know is that few who have entered, have ever returned. And those who did... were no longer the same.

Whether human or monster, it appeares that we have reached a point where no one is safe.

So, what is your part in this story? Are you fox… or hound?

[btn=modd|https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/lurking-in-the-dark-ic.146682/]The Role Play[/btn]​

• YOU KNOW THAT crooked old lady walking past your window every day, or the ugly little man rummaging through the garbage cans outside that one restaurant? Haven’t you always felt that there was…something off about them? The way her heavy coat wraps around those sort of strange looking bulges around her waist, or how he always makes sure to keep his forehead and ears covered up? Well, chances are they are actually monsters.

Every monster has a human which is dominant at day, and a monster form which is dominant at night. Despite me calling their day form human, they actually tend to look rather different to us. Even if the details are small, if one pays enough attention to them they become rather obvious. For one, they tend to be slightly anatomically off (although this is not always the case). Added to that, all of them have features which hint at what they look like in their true forms. For some it might be that they are extra hairy, have different colored eyes, have an extra eye, have long and pointy ears, their backs are covered with scales, their nails resembles claws, their tongue is forked, their feet are large, an extra pair of arms, they only have four toes and four fingers… the list is endless, and full of possibilities. Some have features which are easier to hide from the public eye, others tend to stand out more.

Every night when the clock strikes twelve, monsters turn into what they truly are. The transformation is short but somewhat painful, as they go from domestic to feral. In this form it is completely up to your imagination what they look like. Monsters come in all forms and sizes. However, what (almost) all of them have in common is that they look bestial, grotesque, and monstrous. I do not want beautiful monsters (if you find a really good picture or have a good idea for this, I might make an exception. Also, freakishly beautiful monsters are an exception). They should look as far from human as possible, and I don’t want anything generic either. In other words, the monsters should look freakin’ amazingly creative. I don’t want my role play swamped with wolves, foxes and other typical appearances. For this form, I prefer creativity over luck, and therefor would rather have it that you write a description if you are unable to find a suitable picture, than go for the first, best thing you find out there. I might allow one or three wolf/cat/fox like characters, but would certainly prefer it if you find something else. Hunched backs, long fangs, five eyes, yellow claws and toad like skin is what I’m looking for! Not only, of course, but you get the picture. Be creative!

About how monsters age: Monsters live about twice as long as humans, and age at about half the speed. That means that if the approximate lifespan of humans is eighty years, the approximate lifespan of a monster is one hundred and sixty years. A long lived monster could even go into the two-hundreds. An easy way to think is that if your character is twenty, they should look ten.

• ♥︎ Carnival ♥︎
    Lurking_zps3ds3jxfm.png

General: Ringleader Conquest
    Description: Carnival use their appearances and abilities to perform. Their objective is to try and gain peace with the humans through methods that allow them to interact with masses. They try to get their attention and to prove that they are safe and peaceful. They don't want to be in control, they just want to peacefully coexist with humans. The circus allows them to expose their true selves to the humans, at least to a certain extent, since it is all just 'part of the act'. Carnival has a special treaty with the MMW which allows them to keep existing the way they do. However, this also means that they are constantly under heavy surveillance by the MMW. Their relationship to all of the other factions is okay, though they are often looked down upon for loving humans – especially by The Rats. Their strongest relationship is with The Aristocrats, and they are on neutral terms with The Watchers.

♦︎ The Aristocrats ♦︎
    Lurking%202_zpsi6f2hsyy.png

General:
    Madame/Monsieur Famine
    Description: The Aristocrats are often seen as greedy corrupt by the other factions. They have settled amongst humans, living a good and comfortable high or middle class life. The majority of the aristocrats have made it far as CEO's of big companies, politicians and other positions of power. They believe in living peacefully amongst the humans, though manipulating the course of society from the shadows. The Aristocrats tend to look down on all the other factions, seeing the The Rats as filthy savages, The Watchers as foolish hermits and Carnival as clowns. That said, their relationship to Carnival is the strongest, as they don't really interfere with one another. Many monsters who happen to stand out too much to be part of The Aristocrats, often transfer to the Carnival, because of their good relationship. They are also known to have worked together on several occasions.

♣︎ The Watchers ♣︎
    Lurking%20kopia_zpscnxyzetx.png

General:
    Lady/Lord Death
    Short Description: Within the hidden city of The Watchers, is where the Monster Court is located. It is The Watchers who act as a kind of police force/mediator for the monsters, and most larger disputes are solved within The Watchers walls. They ensure that the rules the four factions have decided upon together are followed, and any offenders will be taken there to receive punishment. They are by far the strongest of the four factions in terms of physical power, and make sure that none of the others create too much exposure that could reveal the whole network to their enemies. They are the most neutral out of the bunch, and look upon humans with neither love nor hate. The only thing they care about is living safely in their hidden city. That said, should a true war break out, The Watchers would probably still aid War over the other two factions.

♠︎ The Rats ♠︎
    Lurking%202_zpsfkiwprxr.png

General:
    General War
    Description: The Rats are by far most aggressive faction in the network. Perhaps it is not much of a surprise that the majority of the survivors of which were involved with Bloody Friday, later became The Rats. Based in the sewers, they try to think of ways that will allow them to remove the humans from power. Their objective is to take over, their method is bloodshed. They are brutes that have lost far to many to even consider a more peaceful approach, and will always argue for starting a war against humans. Although The Watchers disagree with total elimination of the humans, these two fractions have a good relationship because of their shared views on protecting one's own. The Rats despise The Aristocrats, and Carnival for their love of humans even more so.

The Drifters
    Lurking%202_zpsxmiksfaq.png

General: None
    Location: Spread out, usually living a low or middle class life. Many reside in the slums.
    Description: Some monsters belong to neither of the factions, and simply mind their own business. These are usually refereed to as 'the drifters'. Being on neither of the sides, these are treated with neutrality by all groups. However, some work as freelance info brokers etc. causing them to regularly get in contact with the other factions.

• MISLEADING NAME, WOULDN'T you agree? The ministry of monster welfare is a secret organization working directly under the government. They operate from several bases around the country, and have highly trained and skilled agents working for them. The agent’s job is, more or less, to round up monsters and bring them to the facility. Workers for the MMW tend to either have had bad experiences with monsters, or were hired because of their aptitude for the job.

After capturing them, the agents are tasked with brining the monsters to ‘The Facility’- preferably alive. However, monsters that prove to be more trouble than they're worth are usually simply killed.What goes on behind those walls is unknown even to the majority of the agents. There have however been rumors of experiments and an attempt to find a cure to these ‘abnormalities’ floating amongst the MMW members.

Ranks
    Minister
    Zachary Harold Sutcliff
    The%20minister_zpseqb1tlop.jpg

Minister Johan E. Wolf is the man in charge of the MMW, and is known to run the organization with an iron fist. He answers directly to the prime minister.

Commander
    Lurking%20kopia_zpsnvlrngi8.jpg

The commanders are the best of the best, and also have most insight in what happens to the monsters, besides the scientists and the director himself. Having earned the Minister’s trust, they answer directly to him and him only. They have the troops under their command. Currently, there are only three Commanders: Commander Roy F. Jenkins, Commander Annabelle Johnson and Commander Bryce Wilkes. They excel at both tactics and combat, lead a wealthy life and most of their expenses are paid by the ministry. Commanders don't generally work with hounds, as it is not necessary for them. They only join missions if it is absolutely needed and/or important.

1st Rank Agent
    25-png.32222

Everyone is looking to one day become a first raking agent. Not only do they have stellar reputations and excel at their job, but all of them (like the commanders) also live a luxurious life, having most of their expenses paid by the ministry. Currently, there are only three first rank agents, and each of you work with a hound by your side. You are the only ones eligible for working with hounds. Each of you answer under one of the commanders, and is somewhat like a right hand to them. First rank agents are sent on the most dangerous/challenging missions.

2nd Rank Agent
    27-png.32224

You are not quite on top, but you are good enough to have risen this far in rank. If not out in the field, hunting beasts, you are most likely the one to take on the job of being a teacher to the trainees, or instructor for rookies. Currently, there are only six of you, two of which are no longer in the field but serve as teachers whole-time. 1st rank agents who can no longer serve the agency to their full potential are usually demoted to this rank, where they can still live comfortably whilst being useful in their own right.

3rd Rank Agent
    Lurking%20kopia_zps4hklvv63.png

The vast majority of Ministry agents eventually reach this rank, and they are also the largest in number. Reaching 3rd rank means you have completed your trainee period, and are now considered a full-fledged member of the MMW. You usually go on missions in smaller groups, though when larger missions are ahead you join the troop of the commander you were assigned to when you received your 3rd rank badge. 3rd rank agents who show a lot of potential, may eventually be assigned to a 1st ranking agent as their helper.

Rookie
    Lurking%20kopia_zpsif8nrggd.png

Good job! You just finished the basic training program, meaning you are now considered an agent. However, you are only just spreading your wings and still have a lot to learn. Therefore, you are assigned to a 2nd or 3rd ranking agent who will act as their instructor. After assessing a higher ranking agent for a year, you will take a test which amongst other things, also includes capturing your first monster. After completing the test, you will earn your 3rd rank badge.

Trainee
    Lurking%20kopia_zpsix49anrl.png

You have just signed up for the basic training program at the ministry of monster welfare and are still wet behind your ears. Before you can call yourself an agent, you'll need to spend 3 months at the school bench.

Hound
    Lurking%20kopia%20kopia_zpszzn20jgg.jpg

Ah, the monsters. Loathed by their own kind, officially on the bottom of the food chain. You are a monster who has turned their back their kin and been reduced to a mere dog, obedient only to their master. Despite your low rank, you know your master/mistress well and have probably been his/her companion for years. Your relationship is most likely good, and you lead a rather easy life by his/her side.

Other
    Scientist
    Lurking%20kopia%20kopia_zpsxbscycqf.jpg

Besides the minister and his commanders, they are the only ones who truly know what is happening behind the walls of the facility. All of them graduated as stellar students in various scientific fields associated with what they are currently researching.

• The Watchers

The Leader

Members

The Rats

The Leader

Members

The Aristocrats

The Leader

Members

Carnival

The Leader

Members

The MMW

The Minister

1st Ranking Agents

Hounds

3rd Ranking Agents
    TBA

Other

Misc

Drifters

Humans

• We are currently looking for new role players! Preferably monsters belonging to one of the four factions.

• I. Godmodding is under no circumstances permitted.

II. Mary Sues and Gary Stues are not permitted. If you believe your character is running the risk of being one, please consult one of the GM's or moderators of this role play.

III. Proper grammar and spelling is a requirement. Mistakes happen and there are exceptions, but text talk (unless it is in character or your character is messaging someone), is prohibited.

IV. I expect a minimum of at least two decent paragraphs (about seven sentences per paragraph) per post. Not everyone is a writing god (I certainly am not), but this is for the sake of keeping things going. Be as descriptive as your abilities allow.

V. Don't be an ass. This should be a given, but I will say it anyway. Drama IC is encouraged, drama OOC is prohibited. Should a conflict between players arise, do not hesitate to talk to me, Gladis, or Aka if I am not available. We will do our best to solve the conflict. Bad behavior overall is treated with zero tolerance.

VI. Romance is fine, even encouraged, but as soon as clothes start flying and things get steamy I ask you to either fast forward/fade to black or move your conversation to PM. Remember to only role play libertine content with members of your own age group.

VII. Just because there is a special abilities section in the character sheet, doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want. The abilities should still make sense with your character and somehow is related to the kind of monster they are. As long as you make sure it fits, go crazy!

VIII. Inactivity is a decease that spreads among role plays like wildfire – and just so happens to the most common cause for role play deaths. To prevent this from happening I will expect at least one post a week. Anyone unable to keep up, will be removed from the role play along with their character. There will be exceptions – however, if your absence turns out to be too disruptive of the stories flow, I reserve the right to kick you out. If you don't think you'll be able to post frequently, don't join.

IX. By joining this role play, you will be expected to keep up to date with the news and announcement tab.

X. If there is anything you need help with or have any questions, don't hesitate to consult either me, Aka or one of the moderaters.

XI. I won't limit how many characters you may play, but I would like to see an equal number of members in each faction. That said, I also want a verity of characters. If I think your character is too similar too an already existing character, I may not accept them.

XII. If you are interested in the roles of any faction leaders, please send me a PM.

XIII. Every character has to at least have some sort of pre established relationship with a minimum of one other character by a different player. This way, all characters will somehow be connected. Please work this out via PM – and if you don't know whom to ask, ask either me or Aka for help.

XIV. To prove that you have read the rules, please include the word bubblegum somewhere in your PM containing your CS.

XV. Last but not least… Don't forget to enjoy yourself and let your imagination run wild!

Continued offenders of these rules stated above will get expelled from the role play.

• Note that your character sheets are not to be posted here, but instead sent to me via PM. That means no fancy formatting, ya' nerds. >:D Once your character has been approved, I will ask you to add them to this album. In doing so you will be given a fancy banner as a reward, and he'll also show up on the front page.
    Monster

Full Name:
    Nickname(s):
    Title: (A name based on their personality/background or rumors about them. Like "The Mad Scientist" or "The Human Monster". Something that explains your character in two to three words.)
    Faction:
    Brief Description of character: (That will be posted on the front page. Like the blurb of a book, sum up your character in a paragraph)

Appearance

Hair Colour:
    Eye Colour:
    Height(cm):

Body Type:
    Scars:
    Tattoos/Piercings:
    Monster Features (which they retrain in human form):
    Monster Appearance:
    Monster Picture:
    Human Picture:

Personality

5 Positive Traits:
    5 Negative Traits:
    Brief Personality Description:

Life

Family:
    Other Relationships:
    Pets:
    Living Accommodations:
    Biography:

Abilities

Weapon of Choice:
    Powers/Abilities:
    Skills of Note:

Misc
    Anything else you might want to add!

Agent

Basics

Full Name:
    Nickname(s):
    Title: (A name based on their personality/background or rumors about them. Like "The Mad Scientist" or "The Human Monster". Something that explains your character in two to three words.)
    Sexuality:
    Brief Description of character: (That will be posted on the front page. Like the blurb of a book, sum up your character in a paragraph)

Appearance

Hair Colour:
    Eye Colour:
    Height(cm):
    Body Type:
    Scars:
    Tattoos/Piercings:
    Notable Features:
    Picture:

Personality

5 Positive Traits:
    5 Negative Traits:
    Personality Description:

Life

Family:
    Other Relationships:
    Pets:
    Living Accommodations:
    Biography:

Abilities

Weapon of Choice:
    Skills of Note:

Misc

Human

Basics

Full Name:
    Nickname(s):
    Sexuality:

Appearance

Hair Colour:
    Eye Colour:
    Height (cm):
    Body Type:
    Scars:
    Tattoos/Piercings:
    Notable Features:
    Picture:

Personality

5 Positive Traits:
    5 Negative Traits:
    Personality Description:

Life

Family:
    Other Relationships:
    Pets:
    Living Accommodations:
    Biography:

Abilities

Skills of Note:

Misc

Last edited:
Because of the holiday out here in the States, I'll be a bit busy. My cs should be ready either Tuesday or Wednesday. Sorry for the wait.
That's fine. I'm currently out in the countryside where Internet is absolute crap... so getting stuff finished for me will also take a while. x.x

@Gladis
I will begin making a CS if you are still accepting. Since tomorrow is a holiday I do not believe I will have it out tonight since I do have to go to bed soon.
It's okay, take your time. I'm glad you'll be joining us! ^^

Heyyy I want in as well.

I'll have the character sheet for you in the next day or so. Actually with the help of @Wolfsin I decided on making three characters. - w-

A member of the carnival who's a werewolf and a guy, a 1st rank agent who will be a woman, and (if allowed) a Black Annis who will also be apart of the carnival.

If that's too many characters in the carnival adjustments can be made however! Expect all three C.Sheets in the near future~

Last edited by a moderator:
That's fine. I'm currently out in the countryside where Internet is absolute crap... so getting stuff finished for me will also take a while. x.x

It's okay, take your time. I'm glad you'll be joining us! ^^
I shall hopefully have my character up today

Reactions: Gladis and Wolfsin
Okay, so, sorry for my inactivity today. My internet connection has been a pain in the ass, so I can just hope that it'll be better tomorrow. x.x

Heyyy I want in as well.

I'll have the character sheet for you in the next day or so. Actually with the help of @Wolfsin I decided on making three characters. - w-

A member of the carnival who's a werewolf and a guy, a 1st rank agent who will be a woman, and (if allowed) a Black Annis who will also be apart of the carnival.

If that's too many characters in the carnival adjustments can be made however! Expect all three C.Sheets in the near future~
Hi there!
You're very much welcome to join! However, keep in mind that monsters... aren't specific creatures. You can make monsters based on already existing ones, but they won't be them exactly. If that makes sense. A female 1st ranking agent is definitely welcome!

That said, I really do think we'll have too many members in Carnival (especially compared to the other factions). I'll make a update on the character count shortly.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bears
ATTENTION EVERYONE

For the role play to we need:

One leader for each faction of monsters = 4 characters
All of the above positions have been filled.

At least 2 Members of each faction
So far we have:

2 member in The Watchers
1 member in The Aristocrats
3 members in Carnival

0 members in The Rats

1-3 Drifters
2 characters are Drifters

3 1st rank Agent
All of the above positions have been filled.

3 Hounds
2 of 3 spots have been filled.

The Director
This role has been filled.

Misc
We have 1 underground monster doctor, 1 scientist working for the ministry and 1 3rd ranking agent.

*Note that not all character sheets have been submitted yet. Some of the positions that have been filled, are by people who have said that they will play said role, but not yet submitted their character sheets.

I'm still making a character for aristocrats, I just need some time to write it up. I had stuff to do today and ended up not having time for it, but if it's like on Thursday he'll probably be finished

I had wanted to make a character for Carnival but I can understand why you would need things more spread out so I would be willing to work something up for the Aristocrats. I'll see what I can come up with and send it your way.

If it's okay I'll reserve a spot for the Rats (I would have spoken up about it earlier but I was on holiday with family)

Reactions: Esmeray
latest

The Rats haven't forgotten what was taken from us by the humans.

Take up arms and protect those you love, and all monster kind.

The Rats will avenge our fallen kin, but who else will?

Take your justice with your own hands and fight!

Lost blood can only be repaid with by blood!

(just a cute little propaganda thing I thought up.)

I'm really sorry about this, but I'm afraid I have to drop out. I already got a bit on my plate.

Strongly considering creating a character for the Rats. Let's see what I come up with and when I'm done, I may take another spot if one needs to be filled.

Reactions: Esmeray
Strongly considering creating a character for the Rats. Let's see what I come up with and when I'm done, I may take another spot if one needs to be filled.
>Having trouble trusting the honor of the Kingslayer
Sure you will...

• Love
Reactions: Sinopa and Shambles
ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US.

lol

IwakuRoleplay.com

for those of you who want to see War's (The Rats keader) full profile! It isn't complete, I still need to do a full personality and bio description.

So I'm busy making my character, and originally she was going to go to the Aristocrats, but I"m not really sure what to do with her. She would probably have best served in Carnival, but now I'm thinking with her particular gifts and look, she might belong with the rats....HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.