Lunatic Fringe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solomon Timm
A Solution.

The words resonated within Solomon, more than they should have. Slender, eyes watched the elf unwaveringly yet his amber orbs were unfocused as he slipped into deep thought. Now Solomon was a believer in mutually beneficial arrangements, you could always trust someone to act in their best interests and should those interests match yours, the amount of risk significantly decreased. The elf, Trodden was his name, despite his condescending tone had Solomon's full attention.

"Sir," began the rich skinned woman with the unique markings and intense blue eyes. "If you've come looking for a fighter... I'm afraid you've got the wrong person. I know not the way of the sword, and my 'other-worldly abilities' aren't designed to kill. They've been given to me to heal and create. For that reason, I don't think I can follow you." Solomon's eye-roll was damn near audible, mouth twisting ever so slightly into a sneer. "Has Man taught you nothing? You do not need the powers of the veil to kill. They [Man] do so effortlessly." Solomon's eyes bore into the back of her head, a pink tongue darting out to wet dry lips. "You need not but the ability to hold a sword, girl. Power can be found in numbers."

"If we were to succeed in felling the King's rule, what would you plan from there? Equality and 'peace' for all races, or would we suddenly look down on men and abuse them as their numbers thinned?"
She spoke like a natural born follower. Trodden's plans for the future while semi-relevant, were subject to change. Their actions would determine the future. Not the words of an aging elf. "That's unplausible. We are the minority. Should we attain a position of power, we should use it to attain independence. Any attempts at subjugation would be for naught, as any sort of human rebellion would have size to their advantage." Solomon glanced over his shoulder at the materialized door, idly wondering if the worn state of the wooden thing gave any indication to the Elf's own power.

Then, yet another Acerbus--the effeminate male who seemed to be more about his wits than he let on (if the glint in his eye was any indication), opened his mouth and Solomon suddenly had the feeling of being surrounded by naive children. Ones that clung to an already lost innocence. That feeling tempered his annoyance, none. "The Veil should have never been opened in the first place. I hope you never achieve your goal." Solomon blocked the male's path as he attempted to make his hasty exit--"Who are you to dictate, what should and should not have occurred? Things happen for a reason and your words immediately devalue our existence." Solomon was quick with words, perhaps more talkative in a room full of Acerbii than he had ever been in his measly two and a half years of existence. "Perhaps you believe that we--Acerbii, should have never existed in the first place? Easily, someone can make the same argument for human beings. We are not the issue here, nor is the veil. Mankind is." And up the stairs the thin male went--scampering away like a roach being exposed to the sunlight.

Solomon felt heat in his chest, heart beating a bit faster, teeth clenched a bit tighter. This is what he's been waiting for, an opportunity. "I for one, Trodden find myself in agreement with you. Man has terrorized us for too long, has kept us living in fear--now that we have been given this chance to organize, we should take it." Solomon would rather die than live the rest of his life in fear. Becoming independent from Humans would be a dream. Their own land, cities, schools. "What would you want to see change? Yes, we have a mutual enemy but any sort of alliance would certainly fall apart if we do not have similar goals." Solomon wanted all of this to work, so badly. Despite not even knowing what 'this' was. Blossoming alliances. A call to War. To rebellion. Or perhaps, the elf only had a goal but no outlined plan? "This Zjaar, you speak of, explain."

Last edited:
Whilst she was glad to see some Acerbus shared her opinion, in a way, there were bound to be some that shared the opposite. One of these people were in the room, and challenged Astana's way of thinking in a manner of sneers, and likely thinking she was 'stupid' or 'childish'. Whether this man thought he was 'above' her or not didn't matter to Astana. If anything, she just wanted to explain her feelings to him. To explain herself to him. Whilst she knew she couldn't fully sway a personality like that, perhaps she could slightly convince him to see what she thought was 'the light'.

"I can see it may be hard for you to realize how I think..." Astana began to murmur quietly in reply, before she rose to her feet silently. Her eyes didn't show anger for the man's sneers or interruptions, and her tone wasn't one that sounded like she was arguing. Instead, her tone was oddly like a teacher's. Slow, and methodical.

"All man has taught me is their hatred, and their willingness to kill. So, actually, I would like to think man has taught me nothing. Because if you are taking in the teachings of man, then what does that make you?" Astana pushed a strand of black hair back around her ear, her eyes starting to look at the floor as her tone became more quiet. "You can always fight fire with fire, but there can sometimes be another way to quell the flames. Swords against swords; hatred against hatred... it's easy for any of us Acerbus and elves to group up and do that, but I believe that there's an alternative. That's why I will not 'hold' a sword. Think what you will of me for that."

A pause. A droplet of water, from some unknown location, that seemed to ring throughout the room, though where it landed didn't seem apparent at all.

"Additionally... that question was intended for Tel'Naire, not yourself," Astana added, somewhat bluntly for a woman of her personality. "This 'power' he may be talking about may put Acerbus in a position where they can easily dispatch of groups of humans. Numbers won't matter then if that's the case, will they? My guess is that if this man's plan succeeds... there is very much a chance the Acerbus will become the new 'superior race'. We are already more 'powerful' than men in theory, and therefore... we have the potential to possess more wrath and rule than a man could ever hope for." the young woman paused at the thought, her eyes lighting slightly. "What I'm saying is... it will be our turn to become the monsters. Which is why I asked Tel'Naire, what his plans for the Acerbus are if victory happened in theory. I wish to know what kind of leader he is. If he seeks a form of truce, then perhaps there is a chance I'll still follow him."

As she finished talking, Astana felt her body shrinking again as she realised that she wasn't the only one in the room anymore. When she spoke in long bouts like that, it was almost as if the world around her became blotted out as she spoke from her heart. It was a bizarre feeling, as she thought such a sensation only occured in her painting. That feeling of expression... she now realised it came from speeches like that, as well.

Her body slinking back a little, Astana's strong and expressive personality seemed to go back into her timid and quiet one. Crossing her legs back on the table and bowing her head, the water Acerbi quietly spoke.

"M-My apologies." She began as she seemed to slink back a little, seemingly addressing those who hadn't spoke yet. "I speak for far too long, and have only delayed other important questions. I wish not to cloud the hearts of other Acerbus with my own opinions. Please, go ahead."

Solomon Timm
tumblr_oju8muuoC71t2mdaeo6_400.gif

A handful of words in and Solomon realized he was talking to an idiot--perhaps he should start by lowering his expectations for this group? "All man has taught me is their hatred, and their willingness to kill. So, actually, I would like to think man has taught me nothing. Because if you are taking in the teachings of man, then what does that make you?" Solomon could feel the division lines forming and he wondered where that would lead them. "I'm not proposing assimilation. Simply encouraging the use of your--obviously lacking, observation skills."

On the wall Solomon was leaned up against, there were several evenly spaced torches. They sat unlit, their mysterious elf obviously only finding usefulness in lighting the two torches above his head. "If you will not fight, you will certainly perish. You cannot go offering flowers to a race that only desires blood." Solomon's hands were folded over his chest, hands tucked under his armpits--thumbs idly rubbing at the space above. His hands were cold.

"You can always fight fire with fire, but there can sometimes be another way to quell the flames. Swords against swords; hatred against hatred... it's easy for any of us Acerbus and elves to group up and do that, but I believe that there's an alternative. That's why I will not 'hold' a sword. Think what you will of me for that." Solomon wondered what the girl thought the alternative was? Asking nicely? Solomon shook his head, breathing harshly though his nose. "It is not simply hate versus hate--you miss the point entirely," the more Solomon spoke the hotter his skin became.

He wasn't angry with Astana--you could never truly fault someone for being stupid, life would punish them for that. "Man hates us for simply existing--yes. We hate them for killing us, raping us, hunting us like animals. We will fight for survival, for peace. We deserve to do more than simply survive and that's something I will fight for." The torches sparked to life, one by one in response to the nearby fire acerbus, the whooshing sound startling Solomon a bit. After eyeing the torch near his face carefully, he turned back to Astana. "That's something I will kill for."

"What you do, is of no concern to me. Though I am curious to know if anyone else shares my sentiments."

"Additionally... that question was intended for Tel'Naire, not yourself," Solomon snorted and the basement glowed brighter for a few moments, the torches increasing their intensity before fading. "My apologies, I was simply trying to encourage your own capabilities for thought. No good will come from being spoon fed beliefs by someone else." Solomon looked to the elf, amber eyes alight with mild amusement. Solomon's desire to return upstairs and finish his drink increased with every passing moment.

"No offense."

• Bucket of Rainbows
  • Love
Reactions: Nav and Rae
"We're not tools for you to use in some asinine power-play," Akjari sneered, his upper lip curling to accentuate sharp canines. He turned to his fellow Acerbii and his eyes flashed with a determined fire. "He's going to get you killed. He's going to get us all killed."

Was it experience that he spoke from, or fear? Rising against Men in such a manner would only foster fierce animosity. No matter their numbers, they would be swallowed in a rising tide of Men who feared and hated them with an intensity to rival Akjari's own, borne of the desire to destroy all that they do not understand. Life did not belong with the dead, and in the eyes of Mankind, the Acerbii had stolen what did not belong to them.

Heat was boiling beneath his skin. Agreement with his fellow Fire Acerbus came easily. "Independence," he sighed, "is a fine enough goal on its own. I don't want power, and I certainly don't want you--" he cast a quick glance at the elf, "-- to have it. Who is to say an elf will use his power to our advantage? Your people may be worse than Men, and then what? What are we to do?"

He scoffed. "Trade one tyrant for another. No matter the hand, we'll be under it. I'd prefer if I could live my life in peace."

With his anger expended, Akjari rested once more against the wall. His eyes narrowed as if to challenge the others. To take his argument and turn it against him and fail so the rest of them would understand. While he held no close ties among his own community, he did harbor a certain protectiveness for his fellow Pariahs. Borne of a desire to fit in and create connections, it was one of the lingering aspects of his personality from before his return. Charisma. Warmth. Those traits had been buried for too long, and now they felt alien.

They would see what he meant, somehow. They would understand. Surely they couldn't all be fools, wrapped up in some idea of vengeance. A suicide mission cloaked in the promise of power and freedom. Lies. Akjari didn't believe it.

But then, Akjari would not believe anything if it promised him hope. He quashed that hope beneath the rational assumption that he would surely die, and his second chance at life would be wasted. He would prefer not to lose any more of his brethren to the stupidity and promises of an outsider.

"Consider what you'd be doing," he said mildly, then closed his eyes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nav and Jakers
Selia sat quietly during the initial bickering, the cowl of her cloak casting an obvious shadow over her sightless eyes. Beneath her feet, she could feel the slightest movements of every person in the room. She felt their trembles, their shuffles. There was a sense of urgency in everyone, but some seemed far too inclined to reject their new elven "friend" altogether at the first idea of fighting back. When one man finally admitted that he would rather live his life in peace, she outright laughed. Her shoulders shook with the movement as she stood up, shaking her head and throwing her hood back once more.

"Live your life in peace? Tell me, have you actually seen what the Orions do to people like us? I heard it, I felt it. I was lucky to get out with my life. Do you think they will just let you live your life in peace? Do you think that refusing to fight will save you? They will find you. And for all your naive stupidity, they will not hesitate to gut you alive just for the sport of it. I, for one, am tired of wandering around pretending to be a blind beggar when I can 'see' just as well as any human. Those of you who refuse to fight will die; to think otherwise is just being foolishly optimistic. Or you're all just cowards."

She looked at the man who had first spoken out against the cowards. She nodded to him, giving yet another indication of her agreement with his argument. Although she cared little for the elf's clear condescension towards them, she could feel no indication of falsehood. Most people gave such indications--trembling, racing heartbeats, and other reactions of the body--that she could sense to an extent. From what she could tell, he was telling the truth. In the very least, he didn't mean to betray them, and his anger was well-founded. Elves had long been prejudiced by humans, only now being slightly ignored by the presence of the Ascerbii.

"Besides, you all came here of your own volition. What did you expect? A free road to paradise? Peace? A life in comfortable hiding? Even if you don't want to fight, you will have to eventually. You can either do so with people behind your back, or you can do it all on your own. At least with this elf we have a marginally better chance. In the very least, you should all see what this 'Zjaar' is that he speaks of. There's nothing to say that you can't leave this all behind later. Either way, you'll still be hunted and probably killed eventually. Death is inevitable for all of us. At least Tel'Naire offers us a chance."

Shaking her head once more, she sat back down, crossing her arms and keeping her senses on high alert. Although she had spoken boldly in favor of the elf, she hardly trusted him. She didn't trust any of them, frankly. And, so far, she had even less reason to trust the cowards refusing to fight.

"Yes, of course. None of us but yourself know what the Knights are capable of. Such a mystery they are, leaving bodies where they please for all of us to see. No, I'm too blind and stupid. I've never seen a damn thing."

He peeked one eye open and it sparkled with amusement. "What I would give for a freedom away from Man and Elf alike. Why waste my life on some plot for revenge? What good does that do me? Hatred, envy, animosity. Things won't change. We will never leave free." Akjari cocked his head to one side. "Would I fight men if they came to my doorstep seeking to kill me? Most certainly. I would scald their hides from their bones and keep the ashes."

How he ached to teach Mankind what they had done. How he yearned to give them a taste of the evil he and the Acerbii had suffered. But his considerations for the future extended far beyond the immediate rewards. Years following would be rife with hatred and distrust. Men were conniving, sinister beings. They would not hesitate to form a coup with superior numbers against the Acerbii. They could never be at peace, no matter how he desired it.

But nor did he seek to hand power over to an Elf he could not trust. Life and peace for his brethren, but at the cost of what? A mysterious elf with priorities beyond his comprehension? His gaze softened minutely, his hands, clenched tightly at his sides, eased.

"We were cursed the moment we were reborn by men themselves. We may fight all we wish, but in the end, they are numerous. They are tenacious. And they hate us." A single strand of hair fell over his eyes when he shook his head. "Should we win a war against them, they will still seek to destroy us. Always. It's what men do."

"I ask that you consider the consequences. I wish to attain freedom, just like the rest of us, and should I die, I will not do so on my knees. But we are simply placing too much trust in an elf and his promises all while hoping men, in all their anger toward us, will not retaliate with a ferocity beyond compare."

With a derisive sneer, he said, "But of course, I shouldn't be so presumptuous. Do you wield a sword? Are you capable of standing up to the Knights when necessary? Should we expect to rescue you frequently?"

He felt weary beyond his years with an ache in his bones that fire could not assuage. Would he fight, then? Perhaps. For the immediate reward, with one wary eye always on the lasting consequences.

Last edited:
As everybody bickered around her, Yolanda just sat and stared. Or at least, that was what it looked like. In reality, she was thinking, processing everything in front of her. And it wasn't easy, not even slightly.

Item one: the elf in front of her. He wore a face that she had only a memory of, but that memory was full of feelings of safety and trust that were overwhelming her deep-rooted hostility against everything not Acerbii. But wasn't he supposed to be dead…? And yet, here he was, proposing a revolution of some sort.

Which brought her to item two: the elf's proposal. She wasn't sure what to make of it. One of the major components seemed to be a union of elves and Acerbii, and every part of her rebelled against that idea. Every part, that is, except for the part from her past, the one that had complete trust in the elf proposing it. What did he do to make me trust him so much??

Another component of the proposal was revolution against the humans and their Orion Knights. This seemed reasonable enough to her. Even though she thought the Acerbii campaigning strongly against it were admirable in their desire to not be corrupted, she also thought them slightly foolish. She had learned from other Acerbii that their kind couldn't reproduce. Eventually, they would be driven to extinction, and she would fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening. Maybe the one Acerbus was right when he said their kind should never have come through the Veil, but they were here now, weren't they? And it was through no fault of their own.

I wanted to live in peace once, before my life came crashing around my ears...

This Zjaar was the part of the proposal that caught her attention the most, though. A hidden power on the other side of the Veil? It didn't take much thinking for her to deduce that this, or something related to it, was what gave Acerbii their much-feared abilities. Like her power over plants and earth. Like the one angry Acerbus' evident power over fire. And a power like that...she couldn't help but feel curious about what it would be like.

She continued pondering for a moment, then finally opened her mouth and spoke. She ignored the other Acerbii and their arguments, speaking only to the elf.

"Your proposal seems reasonable enough to me, but there's one thing I have to know before I decide whether to form a truce with you or not." She sat with her back completely straight and looked closely at the elf. "Why the hell do I trust you with my life?"

• Nice Execution!
  • Love
Reactions: Nav and Rae
[bg=#000000]
rp5.png

The door slammed and rattled on its hinges, forged by magic, but held together despite the force applied on it. The elf did not look to it. Instead, he waved his hand as if to calm his company. There were a great number of them all speaking at once, which was to be expected. It was good, of course. It meant they were thinking… feeling, no matter how intense their emotions positive or negative.

"I say to you all now that I wish not to rule by any means. With that, I acknowledge Soloman's correctness in fights are not always won by fire and brimstone with a flash of a sword." The elf's eyes lingered on Soloman, taking him in. Yes, he was exactly as he had planned. A brave man, smart, and a natural born leader. Tel'Naire had invited him with good cause and he fulfilled his role in more ways that he had first imagined. A tingle of pleasure rippled through him, but quickly subsided as he looked away.

"Unfortunately, the girl is right, there will be no peace for you. Like it or not, abide my challenge or run from it, you are at war. Perhaps you have not declared it yourself, but mankind has declared it upon you," he said, acknowledging Selia with a tip of his angular head that looked more cat-like than human. "What I offer you is an opportunity to better yourselves. Perhaps you may not find peace, but is it better to die fighting for it than die without fighting at all? For me, the answer is clear… I wish to fight. The Zjaar…" but his voice was lost in an eruption of new conversation.

Why the hell do I trust you with my life?

Tel'Naire fell silent. His eyes snapped to the woman, his expression burning. There was passion in his expression, though from what, it was impossible to tell. "Because I am about to save your lives. Quick!"

From his palm, deep magic swirled. The magic wasn't only extremely dense, it was ripe, like it were coming from well-decayed flesh mingling with earth. Terrifying, powerful, ancient elven magic. The magic was like a small illumination in his palm, no more bright than a candle would have been, yet somehow burning to the eyes. It was intangible, yet began to take on solid form. It melted across his palm, dripping down his fingers but arching over and falling back into his palm before it hit the floor. A tap of his foot opened a portal: a seemingly bottomless pit with a powerful suction of wind leading into its entrance.

"I sense Orions. Come, quick, my Acerbii. We shall attack them from behind where they least expect. I can't imagine they are expecting a portal to transport you all." His brow furrowed with concern. Though his intentions might not have been pure, he had not called for the Orions, but he could feel their presence. The Zjaar whispered in his ear.

As if privy to his communication, the ceiling above them began to rumble and shake. Dust fell from the ceiling beams as heavy boots stormed the floor above.

Through the front door of the Golden Scribe, the battalion of fifty strong stormed in organized precession. They moved as one, a sea of black and gold, as if they were just one brain instead of many. On every hand was a black glove and on every chest was the royal Sephiran seal. Every man held a weapon meant to cut down even the fiercest Acerbus .

OBJECTIVES:
You kind of have two choices now.

Choice A (aka: Team A): You can follow (with a lot of trust) Tel'Naire into his wormhole to flank the enemy, as he suggests.

Choice B (aka: Team B): You can charge the enemy head on like a badass motherfucker. This Team may be at risk of taking more physical harm, as the Orions are kind of honed in on them... just FYI.

Combat is open to you. Remember, Orion Knights are extremely skilled and tactical. They are trained to combat Acerbus so don't think you'll be getting out easy! Please feel free to collab with one another during these scenes, but I'm going to leave Orion NPC control into your hands. Please use discretion. No Acerbus can defeat 28972398472 bajillion Orion Knights without taking a scratch. Characters may want to team up and help one another. Remember, like elements can sometimes help each other (and other can harm each other, like shadow and light).

Not sure what to do? Shoot me a PM and we can work something out. Either I can connect you with another player OOOOOR I can make up a nice NPC for you and we can do something fun. ;D

Show off your powers a little! Do some fighting! Choosing Team A or B won't have major lasting impacts on your place in the story this time, but in the future, some choices you make will impact where you end up/who you end up with.

Also, please welcome our newest player @Hyde (whose character accidentally brought the Orion knights with her. WHOOPSIE-DAISIES!). We have another player who also has been PMing me with interest/character ideas, so we'll be sneaking them in soon, too. (:

Next GM post: ~03/05/17. If you need an extension, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or post in the OOC.

Advanced head's up: I will be out of town from 03/22-03/29ish. I won't have electricity access, so no wifi or anything. 8D The roleplay will still be ongoing at this time. I'm going to try and set it up so ya'll can just roleplay amongst yourselves without me around. Maybe we'll find a way to do something silly, like a night of extravagant drinking and merriment for our characters.

[/CENTER][/bg]

As the flames flickered around the room with the man's response to her own arguement, Astana seemed to wither away a little. When one girl even accused her of being a coward, she felt like she was going to burst, but she held it in; she knew trying to explain her bizarre views was an impossible task, but cowardice wasn't her goal at all. Regardless, she kept silent and took all words directed towards her. All she wished was to find some way to speak to a human member of society... to make a change, to strive towards the goal of >peace<. Perhaps after all those days of wandering, it was only know the lost artist had found her true purpose.

'...Am I really a fool? Am I really a coward? Is my death inevitable by choosing this path?' those three questions others were suggesting to her buzzed around in her head, but she shook them off. 'Even if any or all of those things are true... I have to try. If I manage to work even slightly towards >peace<, it could open up a new path for us entirely.'

As Tel'Naire's stern voice broke the loud discussions and arguements that had began to manifest themselves around the room, Astana's eyes darted up from their state of self-reflection. She had a feeling peace wasn't his goal - wouldn't that be too perfect? - but she could still understand the reasons for fighting back. An instinct most seemed to share: of 'wanting to go down with a fight', she could see that.

But suddenly, a portal. A rumbling upstairs. And a promise of the Orion. Out of nowhere, Astana's relatively peaceful state of mind snapped like the thinnest of cords. The room took a complete change of tone.

Orion.

"It can't be..." Astana's whimper became audible, when it was really only meant to be a thought. Her eyes trembled as the ceiling began to thud. Her heart rate began to increase as she heard screams of commotion coming from upstairs. Low, burly voices, trampling through crowds and the sounds of freshly oiled swords unsheathing. 'This will be my first encounter with them, face to face. There is nowhere to run. There is nowhere to hide. And the sun will cease to rise before the Orion themselves listen to me.' the colours that were swirling in her imagination were turning to shades of crimson dread.

>Fear< was manifesting itself.

She could feel a >rope< burn around her neck, but it wasn't there.

She could feel a >sword< in her stomach, but it wasn't there.

'But... despite the circumstances...' Astana's blue eye glinted in the light of a nearby candle, 'I will stay true to who I am.'

~ ~ ~

In her own little world, the crimson fear of the room seemed to brighten as she reminded herself: as long as she died being herself, she would feel no regrets.
'The elf plans to attack from behind... the injuries will be catastrophic for both sides, especially considering at least two Acerbii here know how to control flames, after seeing what they had to say,' Astana's eyes drifted to the doorway, where one man had exited not long ago, 'And that man who kissed my hand earlier... he left in a hurry; he could be in trouble. And no doubt at least one will distrust Tel'Naire enough to not go through the portal. Staying to provide backup for those few... that is 'my' best path.' Making her decision, Astana thought it necessary to briefly explain herself to the elf and some others of the group if it was the last time she saw them.

"...Tel'Naire..." Astana murmured quickly, turning her head. Knowing there was no real time for chit-chat, her words were quick rather than slow and melodic. "I want to make this clear... I don't believe you set this up. I trust you. I truly do. I understand why you and many others wish to fight back, and I don't think of you 'evil' for it. I will even say that it's likely the better choice... and the one more likely to 'work'."

Astana's head turned slowly towards the door as Orion continued to rumble upstairs. The dark skinned-woman slowly threw off her ragged cloak onto the floor, revealing a teal-blue silken dress that her 'disguise' had been covering up. She slowly unclipped her quarterstaff its strap around her back, and various canteens strapped to her belt seemed to rumble with the sloshing of water.

"But I cannot follow you, because that simply isn't who I am. It may seem a mixture of being stubborn and foolish: I see that, and I apologise. But I will hold out here and save who I can without taking life," She looked back, sweeping a black curtain of hair to the side. "If any of you are injured by the end of this, seek me if I'm still alive. I can take care of your wounds," Astana threw back what could potentially be a final smile, "Now... please don't wait for me. Go, with your soldiers. Perhaps this will mark the beginning of a new day."

The battlefield of condescending rhetoric was normally one Hanselt enjoyed baring fangs upon, but there was far too much at stake here. The prospect of short and long term survival, of throwing away or adhering to life-long ideologies forged by fear, by hatred, by desperation – some of the most powerful forces the world had to offer. So, instead of offering choice barbs and vitriol, Hanselt decided to stay his tongue towards the rest of the Acerbi. He vehemently disagreed with a few of their number, yet had too much kindred sympathy to lambast them for it.

In any case, the threat of the Orion was more than enough to cut short the debate of the Damned.

A burning wrath was tempered by a cold chill of fear. Hanselt had escaped one encounter with the Orion, and escape had been his only thought in that instance, leaving the House Lemke to drown in its own blood. That was before Lily, before those damned Knights took her and desecrated even her very memory. Yet for all his vengeful passions, Hanselt felt a deep weight lodged in his stomach.

This was going to be a massacre.

Hanselt addressed the elf with a snarl that was equal parts disdain and untimely amusement, "Tel'Naire, I'm going to disagree with the pretty lady: I blame you entirely, you elf fuck."

He gave unto the elf, yet again, a choice offering of spittle before turning towards Astana, "That's a pretty blue. Now, truth is, I can't ever leave a woman behind. Whether that's chivalry or because I'm a perpetual tail-chaser, I couldn't tell you. But I'll have you know, I'm a shit fighter."

The Acerbi drew Bellerophon, its form still a meager hatchet. Yet if one observed closely, the quicksilver that composed it had begun to bubble, restlessly reacting and yearning to change.

"And if I get stabbed, I expect a kiss before I return to the veil."

As if three wasn't a crowd. Clarice' heartbeat sped up. Within seconds of speaking to the man with the soft features, they were joined by the dark-skinned girl Clarice had spied outside, then a man shaped like a brick house and a work-tanned woman soon joined them. A third man, crudely voiced her thoughts for her; "This certainly looks like the start of a bad joke---four Acerbii walk into a pub, half from the sewer the other half from the street."

Clarice almost stumbled when the mind-reader pushed his way past her. Her eyes shot all across the pub, her arms tightly folded across her chest. Was this the death sentence, Clarice asked herself, as she tried to decide whether to worm herself through the small crowd downstairs, flee the establishment altogether, or shout in her loudest, most vulgar Windsor accent, who forgot to bring the damn cards. Barely back on two feet, Clarice' gasped for air as she watched a man stumbled past the group and dropped down the stairs! Whatever drunken idiot had decided to trust-fall on a ragtag of strangers was certainly drawing eyes towards them.

The group started to trickle down the staircase, for the better or worse. Yet all the commotion had struck at Clarice' courage. She shuffled back along the wall, if she was lucky... Nobody would follow her leave.

Solomon was perhaps, as cautious as they came. Amber eyes carefully watched the faces of the cluster of Acerbii that had gathered. Being one of the tallest and broadest in the room, he remained in the back of the crowd--also placing him nearest to the exit. So of course he noticed when one of the women started to break away from the cluster, inching her way towards the exit. It didn't take much effort for the fire acerbus to reach out and grab the girl, fingers sinking into the chocolate curls, fist tightening at the scalp. Solomon yanked her sharply back, forcing her into a wooden chair that was flush up against a wall.

"You had your chance to leave, little whore. Now you must bide your time like the rest of us." Despite the harshness of his words and his hostile response to the girl's actions, Solomon's voice was unwaveringly calm. Eyes, seemingly bored as if her actions had been as easy to predict as the sun rising or the sky being blue. The clawing at his hand and arms went unnoticed and should the girl choose to escalate, Solomon had no qualms about knocking her unconscious. The more people they had going in and out of the basement, the more they risked exposure.

Akjari his eyes narrowed and his expression, already twisted into a frown, soured further. "It's impolite to say such things to a woman," Akjari murmured, but he hardly seemed bothered by it. If anything, he looked... calm, if a bit tense.

His gaze rested briefly on the man before he looked to the girl he held tightly. His voice lowered to a rough whisper. "They'll kill you if you leave. I thought you should know."

"They'll kill all of us if he touches me again." Clarice' eyes spit fire. Her heart throbbed in her throat. Her fists clenched around the scraps of skin under her nails. Calm as his voice might be, both acerbii lived the same fear. The man's violence betrayed his feelings. As if the drunken fool's fall hadn't made enough of a scene, their little company had now definitely been put on full display. At this point, Clarice' words weren't as much a threat as they were a prediction. She grit her teeth, not even daring to glance at the pub's crowds, she followed down the stairs.

Clarice could feel the hallow staircase groan beneath as they descended it, even if the creaking of their steps were drowned by the noise upstairs. The scent of smoke and congregated need for alcohol were traded for a poorly lit basement room and muddy traces of a long journey across the floor. An old elf sat at the centre of it all. The sight of his wrinkled forehead and pointy ears brought Clarice a hint of relief. Nothing in this world bore a deeper grudge against the king than an elf having witnessed his home being taken from him. That very kind of elf was the reason she – and likely others in her company, had managed to stay alive in Sorvan.

The fool of the company spoke up, but his words did little to mend Clarice her first impressions of him. As he spoke, her attention was still with the hard-handed brute whose breath she could still feel down her neck - despite the man having taken his distance.

The elven man's words, after having introduced himself as Tel'Naire Tal, left a far greater impact on Claire. Wide-eyed and stupefied, her mind raced. Her eyes darted past his few features she could discern in the dim light. Many sentiments crossed the room. Doubt, pacifism and defiance were the first to be made heard. Clarice almost bit her tongue in anger, the thoughts closest to hers were spoken by the brute.

What is the Zjaar?

Part of her question was soon answered, as ancient powers leaked from the man's hands. With this many acerbii, of course it had only been a matter of time. He offered them a chance to fight back... To the lightning of his words, like thunder, the ceiling trembled. The elf's warning was hardly precognition. Clarice agreed with whatever vision the elf had, they had to be the knights of Orion.

As she saw the dark-skinned woman and effeminate man draw weapons, Clarice foresaw their death. Some of her kind could conjure fire. Others could skewer their foes with icicles drawn from thin air. Yet a staff and a hatchet would not stand against a fully armoured knight. Clarice glowered at young man's words. "You can't save others when you're dead." She muttered under her breath.

"If you can save lives, run." Clarice spoke up and touched the woman's forearm. Her fingers pressed gently, but the look in her eyes was anything but. "Follow her." Clarice motioned to the man, before pushing her way past his arm. The smallest member and youngest of their company, made her way to the frontlines, Clarice anticipated her initiative to be met with nothing but bewilderment. She took a deep breath to throw off the thought. As she exhaled, a chill spread throughout the basement. The dim candlelight grew smaller and the stairs creaked without a single boot on them. The wood curled; rotting before their eyes. The age she forced on the structure brought it to the verge of collapsing; a trap difficult to discern under the guise of the poorly lit room.

"Do what you can." Clarice let go of the woman's arm and began making her way to the portal, leaving but few more words; "Don't attempt that which you know you cannot."

Last edited:
Solomon Timm
Oh how quickly things had escalated.

At the sight of the portal and the sound of thunder upstairs, Solomon found himself laughing. Holy hell. This was actually happening. The brunette tossed down his over coat and drew his sword a strange little smile on his lips. This was all completely absurd yet, some how it felt right. Solomon bore armor of leather and cloth yet his heart didn't fill with fear. Instead he felt excitement pooling in his belly, hate rising beneath his skin and heating his flesh. His heart seemed to beat louder and suddenly it became impossible to stand still. Solomon started towards the portal without a second glance towards the elf but he hesitated when he caught sight of the other fire Acerbii at the corner of his eye, still leaning against the wall as if he couldn't concern himself with a damn thing.

The Idiot.

Solomon found himself grabbing the other man by the back of his shirt, yanking him away from the wall. "Come now Princess, it's time to fight for that Peace you want so badly." With that being said, Solomon shoved the other dark haired male through the portal. The action was done entirely out of selfishness of course. That man was the only other fire acerbii he had ever met, Solomon would be damned if he left him to be slaughter in the wet basement. If Akjari was going to die, he would do it--as he so eloquently said before, not on his knees. The bulkier man believed himself to be just helping him along. Solomon jumped into the portal afterwards, momentarily disturbed by the sucking feeling that accompanied the action. A second later he was upstairs, graced with a view of the Orion Knights swarming down the flight of steps that led to the basement. The drunks and whores had moved out of the way, they possessed at least enough competence to know that getting in the way of a Orion Knight spelled only bad news.

Solomon's heart thumped wildly as he followed behind the swarm of knights, waiting until the majority of them were crowded in the stairwell. It seemed like an easy enough way to kill a number of knights at once, at least while they had the advantage. Solomon conjured a wall of fire--exactly the height and width of the door frame. Immediately that garnered the attention of everyone in the Tavern, but before the handful of knights that had clustered could turn back, the wall of fire surged down the steps, acting almost like a filter. The flame wasn't hot enough to melt metal but it certainly was hot enough to ignite cloth and skin, a chorus of screams coming from the basement. The fire acerbus imagined that the majority of knights had been set on fire and were probably running amuck like chickens with their heads chopped off--easy pickings for the lingering idiots down stairs.

Of course, he could only revel in his accomplishment for a few seconds, before the other knights turned on him. Solomon was kicked in the chest and sent slamming into the bar, causing his wall of fire to dissipate. A quick roll to the right had him narrowly avoiding a axe to the head. Solomon got on his feet--the sound of screaming patrons flooding his ears. The same knight came charging after him--dark armor clinking with the movement. Rather than moving out of the way, Solomon mirrored the knights actions choosing to use his sword to cut the knight's feet from beneath him. The action only half worked--the knight's feet were knocked from beneath him causing him to fall over and on top of Solomon. The amber eyed man was crouched low enough that forcing himself into an upright position at exactly the right moment sent the knight sprawling behind him--quickly solomon turned around and swung his sword, steel connecting with the soft flesh of the knight's jugular. Blood sprayed, more people screamed and the mutant could barely hear a thing.

Another knight came after him--he was short enough that Solomon could grab him by the face mask--palm heating up to melt steel to flesh. The smell of burning skin and blood soon filled the air and the acerbus was tossing the knight aside, sharp eyes darting around for any sight of his fellow acerbus. The momentary halt in movement resulted in him getting cracked across the face with the butt of a sword, the sharp tip was soon turned on him, scratching across the side of his right cheek. Back on the defensive Sol went, rolling over the bar to crouch behind the counter. Alcohol fell and crashed all around him, raining glass shards and whiskey.

Last edited:
Collaborative Post
(Between @Jakers, @Shizuochan, and @rechonq.)​

~ ~ ~
==>
Watching as the feminine man spoke and spat at the elf once more, Astana held up a finger that seemed to stop the saliva bullet in midair. The spittle, as if ignoring laws of gravity, floated briefly before dissipating into the ground.
"Please," Astana began quietly, "there is no need for such vulgarity right now. Whether it's his fault or not doesn't matter, there are enough enemies after us. Let's not make any more."

She paused as the young man continued to talk, claiming he wasn't the best of fighters, and asking for some promise of a... kiss? Cogs began to whirr in Astana's head to try and process the meaning of this, but she just ended up getting confused. Either way, she was eager for the assistance. Doing this alone was something she knew was out of the realm of possibility.

"Ah... a kiss...? I don't... well, if it's your last request, perhaps... b-but... aren't you a bit young?" Astana shook her head. "Still, thank you for fighting alongside me. I take it what you're doing to that axe hints at your own powers?" Astana asked, cocking her head slightly after giving a brief bpw. The rumbling above was intensifying; shouts were increasing in volume as the Orion seemed to be catching on to their position.

The large fire wielder's snarky comment towards her left Astana looking somewhat upset. She could understand if he didn't agree with her views, but did he really hate her? She hadn't meant to make an enemy. The gentle touch of the young girl taking her arm in her hand helped Astana calm down a little, but her words were very much serious. Watching as she was preparing something that was likely going to be extremely useful, Astana give the girl a parting smile and a brief bow of her head.
"Thank you for your aid and concern. I can promise you that I'll be careful; please do the same." she quietly replied, before the young one departed in the portal.

'The man who left early... it doesn't sound like the Orion have found him. Did he manage to escape, or is he...' Astana thought idly as she began to mentally prepare for what would be the second true fight of her life.
==>
Hanselt, for his part, seemed a bit indignant. "Y-young? I'll have you know... experience trumps years everytime!" He pouted, and his axe seemed to react alongside him, pockets of liquid-silver boiling in flux, "They used to call me the Lothario of House Lemke, not that you should hold that against me or anything. Simply making a point."

"In regards to what I'm doing with the axe; meet my trusty old friend, Bellerophon."

With that, Hanselt simply let the hatchet fall from his grasp. The once solid mass seemed to render itself into metallic glue, quicksilver appendages sprouting from the blob with neither rhyme nor reason. They protracted and retracted intermittently, until at last four - two front legs, two hind legs - caught the metallic entity's descent. A head sprouted, a rough approximation of a canine's, raised upwards towards the ceiling in a soundless howl.
==>
Moura had been sitting at the bottom of the stairwell for some time now. He could faintly hear raised voices and harsh conjectures being thrown about. The stable roar of the denizens upstairs made it hard to even hear from in front of the door. There was no way anyone was hearing even their shouts.

Time felt incredibly slow as he sat waiting. He'd never felt so curious in all his life. The longer he waited, the more certain he was that he made a mistake. No one else was coming out. There were others that disagreed, so why weren't they leaving. Arguing was mostly pointless. There was only one argument he could ever remember being in that he changed the opponents mind. It was a very proud moment for him, but he doubted that anything like that was going to happen here.

It was easy to realize that he had made a terrible decision leaving that room, not because of anything within his power, but because of the terrible luck that the Orions decided to strike the Golden Scribe. The commotion upstairs turned from that of jovial to panic. The new sound of clanging metal and screams Perhaps it wasn't chance though. It was extremely convenient that they struck the day that a group of Ascerbi were all gathered. The coincidence of the situation didn't matter though. He needed to figure something out. There was no way he was going to be able to do anything in this stairwell. He turned and pulled at the door. It was locked. Not very surprising, but he needed to get back in the room. They had to have some sort of escape plan.

"Open up!" He shouted as he pounded on the door. His sounds were still mostly dwarfed by the raging commotion upstairs. Even if they didn't open up, he should help them somehow. He wasn't for bringing more souls to this realm, but he was all for fighting the Orion. He began to rapidly heat the stairwell. It wouldn't do much, but it would create an unbearable heat for the thickly covered men. He continuned to pound on the door, hoping someone might still be able to open the door.
==>
The young man's first sentence didn't seem to be fully understood by Astana. Out of a misunderstanding only someone like her could achieve, she replied,
"...So, ah... your name is Lothario? I think that's a nice name. I can't remember my own 'real' name, so I just jumbled together some letters and made 'Astana'. I hope it's tolerable..." she drifted off as she watched the liquid metal solidify into something else. Seeing it howl; seeing the colours reflect of its pure metal hide seemed to make her eyes like up like a child's. "...Goodness. It's... beautiful-" but the sudden bashing of a door cut her off and snapped her out of a trance she seemed to be working into; it was probably for the best.

Hurrying over to the door, the two words by whoever was behind the door were plain and clear. She recognised the voice, settling her fear of it being an Orion, and swung it open for the man.
"You were here the whole time...?" she didn't dwindle the question for long, nodding her head back repeatedly for the man to come in, "quickly now, quickly now."

As she opened the door, however, seeing this man wasn't the only thing that surprised her. There was another thing that surprised her - for the worse. It was a smell. A smell unlike something she'd ever encountered before. A hot smell. A smell of something roasting; a smell of blood boiling. It was the smell of charring flesh, and as Astana coughed and put a mouth over her nose and mouth, she couldn't comprehend how awful it was. She couldn't pair any colour with it. It was > h o r r i b l e . <

"G-Gods..." she wheezed, staggering back, but eager to slam the door shut once more when the other man had come into the room, "all those screams... those Fire Acerbi... d-do you think the Orion is the only people they're torturing? It's still horrible, but... I can only hope the innocent men have run free. Are you alright...?"
==>
A breath of relief escaped Moura as the door opened. It was blue eyes who had helped him again. Now she wore a brilliant blue dress that only made them pop so much more. He didn't have time to appreciate her eyes though. The Orions were already making there way down the stairs. "Yes I was." He answered as she beckoned him to enter. She didn't need to tell him twice. He quickly made his was back into the dim basement.

He quickly took in the surroundings again. The presence of an odd portal was something certainly new. Was that their escape plan? The feminine man was also close to the door and had some sort of magnificent metal wolf with him. 'What all did I miss?' He quickly wondered. The door was shut behind him just in time to feel the added heat of the flames. Someone must have good control of flames. The smell that accompanied it was terrible. The bad burning of clothing and hair wafted into the room. Blue eyes' question was quite relevant. Knowing the idiots of the Golden Scribe, there was no way they weren't fighting back. They would fight for any reason, sometimes no reason at all. They probably weren't dumb enough to try and follow down the stairs, but who knew if this fire guy was just randomly burning the main floor too. "I'm fine, but you're right. There are good people up there too. Who is the fire Acerbus? What is that portal too?"
==>
"Probably one of the other hot-headed gentlemen, if I had to guess." Hanselt - now Sir Lothario of Lemke - offered, "Portal's Elven made, the other Acerbi went through it to flank them. They probably should have just made a run for it, if I'm being honest. "

The footsteps approached, ever closer, doubtlessly eager to both accost any of the hidden Acerbi, and also to distance themselves from the volatile flames. Hanselt could feel the tension gnawing at his stomach, and other choice - doubtlessly inappropriate - parts of his anatomy. Palpable, tangible, and just waiting to... pop.

The tension burst as the door open once more, an amalgam of Orion Knights making their way do the basement. And as the tense bubble burst, the staircase of wood snapped as if in rejoinder, sending a group of their armored adversaries to the floor. The other fine Lady Acerbi had done well, it seemed.

Bellerophon leapt, its steel maw gnashing at plate and flesh alike.
==>
It was now Astana understood the purpose of that young girl's actions, and she made a mental note to thank her for it. It had given them an invaluable advantage. That paired with the fact that the Orion were exhausted from the heat of upstairs, the five or so knights that had fallen to the floor were a lot more sluggish than they'd usually be. 'Bellerophon' charged into the fray, and whilst the nature of the metallic 'creature' was more gruesome than she thought, Astana didn't pay it any mind, and moved in with a quarterstaff trailing behind her.

As she ran towards one of the Orion, little bloblets of shining water were being left behind her that seemed to remain suspended and hummed gently in the air. As she got within melee range of the first staggered Orion, one of these 'bloblets' soared from its stationary position and joined her side, its shape twisting into that of a hand. A flick of her finger; a rush of concentration... it was all it took for the water 'hand' to lift the helmet from one of the Orion. A well-aimed strike to the upper nose with her staff silenced his screech of hatred towards Astana as one of the knights reached for a dagger to throw, and the helmetless knight fell unconscious. Despite seeming frail and 'new' to combat, Astana's movements seemed trained. It was odd, because... she couldn't remember having any training. Was it a hint to her faded past?

After knocking out the first, Astana sidestepped as the first hand dripped away into nothingness on the ground, bringing another water blob from behind her to assist her with the next felled Orion. But as the hand began to form, this one proved it wouldn't go down as easily. Shaking off debris fragments and clambering to his feet like a man possessed, this Orion had dropped his sword in the confusion, but it didn't stop him from his blind charge into the side of Astana. The sheer weight of the man combined with his metal plates was almost enough to knock her over, and the Orion followed up with a gaunlet-encased fist. The inhuman strength and speed caught Astana completely off guard, and the blow connected witht the side of her cheek. A crunch. A tooth coming loose. > P a i n . <

A jawbone seemed to crack and blood began to leak from her mouth and nose as the punch literally knocked the woman off her feet. As Astana sailed through the air, however, another 'bloblet' she'd left began to follow her. The Orion reached for a dagger in replacement for his original weapon, and moved in to gut his felled target. But before he could wistfully plunge that dagger into Acerbus flesh, he found his legs unable to move. Looking down at his legs in bewilderment, the Orion's plated legs seemed to be coated in a lattice pattern of water that 'stuck' to him. Little tiny waves were being formed in the lattice; Astana's will and watery grasp around his legs enough to keep him rooted from moving any further.

"This is my power..." Astana wheezed from her position on the floor, wiping droplets of blood from her mouth, "the power of water... the power the veil has chosen for me," the short sentences that were spoken mostly to herself, as the 'rooted' Orion only responded with grunts of teeth-filled rage. Shooting her head back, Astana called out, "someone... please, knock out this one! I have great control over my water, but I can't project it at enough speed to incapitate an enemy with it instantly!"
==>
The two jumped into action behind him as the door burst open and the stairwell came crashing down. He wasn't sure what all was happening, but he needed to act too. He could figure out details later. The metal dog was pinning the Orions and doing well to push them back. Metal man looked to be holding his own at the moment, but blue eyes seemed to be struggling a bit more.

She knocked one man out with a stunning display, but took a hefty blow that knocked her into the air. Even before she cried out for help, Moura began his own charge at the Orion. He lept at the dagger the man held high and put all his body weight into the man's hand. He wrenched the dagger sideways as his body flew into the man, knocking him over. The armor was tough and the impact hurt Moura more, but the armor's weight and bane came into play. The man's leg was still held still while his body awkwardly crumpled sideways in the armor. His leg popped out of socket, but the raging Orion ignored any semblance of pain and began to batter Moura with his gauntlet. The dagger was now Moura's and after taking a few swings, he thrust the dagger into exposed juggular. Moura pulled the dagger back out as the Orion finally keeled over.

Another merely took his place. This one seemed to be in even more pain than the ones they already fought. His armor was burnt and even he looked crispy in certain areas. The man had worked his way out of the carnage and reared back with a club, ready to bash in Moura's head. He quickly dove out of the way while absorbing the light around him. He wasn't invisible now, but all that could be seen where Moura moved was a hazy black cloud. He moved back next to blue eyes and did the same thing to her. A grand swing through the cloud would still cut them in half, but now their forms were disguised.

The clubber continued after him, but Moura chose to help the metal man first. His creature was doing better than anything they were at stopping the flow of Orions. He clouded metal man the same way he had for them as well. It was a risk ignoring the clubber, but for some reason he felt blue eyes would be able to stop him again.
==>
"Heh, that you?" Hanselt gave a laboured chuckle as he addressed the dark entity that came to his assistance. He had picked up a spear from one of the Orion Bellerophon had downed - a fortuitous acquisition, as the afforded range helped to address his lack of combat expertise. "I have to admit, that's a pretty neat trick! Bellerophon!"

The quicksilver canine caught an Orion blade's downward swing upon its back. Steel embraced steel before Bellerophon bubbled over once more, its mass enveloping the blade that had struck it. Its appendages receded within itself, as Bellerophon assumed a serpentine form, a veritable cobra of metal.

It reared its head back in a soundless hiss, before beginning its furious assault, diving further into the group of Orion Knights. Its momentum plucked the blade that had struck it away from its wielder, who was summarily dispatched by an opportunistic strike from Hanselt's spear. Its smooth chrome form weaved and slithered in between and around the legs of the Orion Knight's, a malleable mass of metal contorting in unfathomable ways.

Bellerophon constricted, shackling the legs of the Orion.

"Oi! Fire guy?! Elf fuck?!" Hanselt's scream was a visceral congealment of both panic and, strangely, the amusement of near-death, "Any time now!"
==>
Astana swallowed uncomfortably, giving a very quiet 'thanks' as the knight she'd rooted was 'eliminated'. Though confused at the change of lighting at first, this darkness he'd created was causing confusion amongst some of the Orion's ranks. As well as this advantage amongst many, a majority of the next 'wave' of Orion were either ablaze or clearly suffering from superficial burn injuries. If so many conditions weren't working against the Orion, Astana knew this fight would be totally different.

Astana was quick to act on the sound of Hanselt's yell. Whilst she wasn't either of those people, she could use range to take care of at least one of the Orion. Extending her staff forward, the water Acerbi improvised with inspiration from the metal user's style. 'Bloblets' of water rushed to gather towards the end of her quarterstaff, forming together to make the shape of a long and thin appendage; a whip of water. A flick of the staff and expert control over her water wrapped the whip around the helm of one of the struggling Orion, prying it off with relative ease, and in one swift movement, Astana used this picked up helmet like a flail, combining it with the water whip's force to crash against the head of the man. The water's grip wasn't strong enough to keep hold of the helmet afterwards, causing the half-melted helm to clutter to the floor afterwards.

For a moment, the sound of the impact the helmet made as it floored the Orion led Astana to believe she'd actually killed someone, but her heart skipped a beat of relief when she still spotted the knight's breathing and heard his groans. He just wouldn't be getting up for a while. Realising this downed man was one of the people who had been set ablaze by the fire Acerbi, the woman sent a blob of water to gently fall down above the man, putting out the flames and causing a soothing sensation. He was out of the fight. There was no reason for him to suffer further.

Eyes looking back in front of her, Astana noticed the club-wielding Orion was in range of a swing against her or the light Acerbi in the time she'd done that. Dodging a swing that seemed to cause a small crater in the floor thanks to her darkened shroud, she tried to use the 'water whip' against him in the same fashion. However, as the watery appendage curled around the helm, she couldn't pry it off like last time. This Orion had paid attention to her fighting style and was firmly gripping his helmet.

"Now I know just where to crush you, scum." the words were muttered with wrath under the helmet of the man: using the water whip had made her position less discreet, as the water was trailing back to her position in the darkness. In a rush of panic, Astana quickly reformed the water whip into a flow against the trajectory of the club swing, slowing the blow of the club enough to make it non-lethal, but it still crunched against her stomach. The side swing spun her around and smacked her into a rotted table that shattered under her weight. Despite some pained moans and blood dripping from her mouth, she was still going strong despite the hits she'd taken. Sending out a large sphere of water, she held it over the Orion's club and caused a circular, flowing motion within the sphere that made it difficult to swing.
The clubber had not been taken care of yet, but fortunately for Moura, he diverted his attention. It was hard to distinguish any of them now and blue eyes created a water whip that distracted him. Her control was rather impressive. 'She doesn't seem that strong but her control is much more elegant then mine.' He looked up to see her drop a blob of water on a knocked out Orion. He was going to try and finish him off, but she was still taking hits.
==>
With his club slowed, it was hard for the clubber to move his arm. Moura took advantage of this and shoved the dagger into his arm from behind. Moura put his other hand on the back of the Orion's neck. With the man temporarily disabled, the light Ascerbi began to suck out his life force. It was already weakened, but it was still a rather strong force. He didn't like doing this at all, but when it came to killing Orions, it didn't feel that bad. The man's life force took several seconds to completely absorb, but the shocking and weakening effect of it kept him still. Fortunately, the now metal serpent had the others tied up and proccupied pretty well. When the man's life was gone, he merely crumpled to the floor in his armor.

He was tempted to help blue eyes, but she seemed far enough from them now that she should be relatively safe. The snake was struggling to hold them down now, and finishing them quickly would be best. Draining the Orion's life felt a lot like draining heat or light, and it was surprisingly easy. He wasn't sure if that was good. It helped a lot now though. He began to drain the life of an Orion from the far side of the room while he approached another from behind. The tip of the dagger stuck out from the could that was him as it plunged into an Orion's back. The other Orion was continuing to fight back with weakening vigor. A few more seconds and he crumpled as well. This new life force felt rather reinvigorating. After this he would be able to heal both blue eyes and the metal man.

He was beginning to gain attention though. It didn't feel like it mattered though. The remaining Orions were weak and burnt, and their numbers were dropping quickly. He might be able to build quite a reservoir of life force if the others didn't kill them. He really just wanted enough to heal the others, but some extra for emergencies wouldn't be bad. It felt good fighting back against the Orions too. It wasn't that he was against fighting, he just hated the idea of bringing more souls to suffer in this miserable world.
==>
Meanwhile, Hanselt and Bellerophon alike struggled with the continued onslaught. As Hanselt's strength waned, so too did the strength of his construct, an impassibility reduced to a mere obstruction. As the Acerbi's breath labored and his the fibers of his muscle strained, the steel serpent withered, allowing the Hunters to resume their fevered chase.

As the Orion neared, Hanselt's ad hoc weapon - the spear - would begin to fail. Three years under the tutelage of House Lemke's quartermaster was not near enough to make Hanselt a seasoned warrior, but even he knew the shortcomings of the polearm when the enemy's push became unsurmountable. Knight after Knight pushed forward, and at last Hanselt felt that the point of his spear found no purchase, weakened blows rendered moot by armor.

He had been lucky to have kept them mostly at bay, but his defense was to be broken. Where his spear had glanced off to middling purpose, it had now gone astray, parried to the side by the latest Orion Knight - his renewed energies augmented by a seasoned mind for the interplay of weaponry. The latest of the Orion Vanguard was blessed with sword and nimble feet alike, and danced his way inside Hanselt's zone of vulnerability.

The upward slash that graced his torso was thankfully subdued, although Hanselt would not feel particularly thankful. The Acerbi felt as if both soul and body were rended, portions of fat and muscle torn asunder - a blow that would have cleaved him in twain instead torturously carved flesh like soft nothingness. He screamed as his hands went limp - spear failing to the floor - and Bellerophon 'spasmed' upon the ground before launching upwards at the assailant.

Its form became flux as Hanselt struggled to cling to consciousness, until it became simply mass. A boulder of silver that tackled the Knight, fueled by the rage of its master.

A man possessed by unfathomable pain , Hanselt shrieked in rage and a shower of blood as he reached for his spear. He raised the pole-arm above his head - foolishly, perhaps, in a cleaving motion.

Bellerophon leapt once more, wrapping its mass around the tip of the spear, forming a hammer of wrath.

Hanselt brought it down upon the Knight's skull with a sickening crunch, before succumbing to pained slumber.
==>
'Auhh... this... this pain... this is just a lesson. This is the world teaching me how strong the Orion truly are,' Astana gripped her quarterstaff from off the ground weakly, 'I'm lucky to have such powerful people helping me...' as her thoughts finished, she watched in horror as the feminine man was dealt a blow that made a blood-curdling scream of pain erupt from his throat.

"N-NO...!" Astana shrieked as one more Orion descended upon the passed out man, seemingly to finish him off with a curved, razor-sharp blade. Acting quickly, Astana sent out some of her final 'bloblets' of water, forming them into a wave that rumbled across the ground. Snapping a hand back after a brief delay, the small wave turned direction again, carrying the passed out man away from the Orion's reach and towards Astana. Charging forth to secure the kill, the Orion's sprint bought him in front Astana in a matter of seconds.

As the wave released the injured man, Astana reformed it into an 'orb' that infiltrated the man's helmet. Only, this was no standard water. The deep green 'mold' within the surrounding wood suddenly seemed to fade into a colourless grey, as if their colour had been plundered. The deep green pigments combined with this orb Astana had created to create a thick blob of deep green 'dye' or 'paint' that completely blinded the Orion. Not able to breathe, see, or hear, he still swung randomly downwards with all his might. The blade went for the passed out man's neck, but as she toppled herself forwards, it instead sliced deeply into Astana's shoulder. An arm went limp and numb.

When the man tried to pull it out of her shoulder, Astana held it in there with a bare hand, the blade cutting her palm upon, causing a scream that was forged from both determination and agony. The deep green 'paint' continued to slosh inside the man's helmet, and his body trembled as it began to run out of breath. His body weakening as he began to drown, Astana snapped up to her feet and cast the paint away before the fluid actually killed the man. The Orion was so confused and weakened that she could swiftly tear away his helmet with her hand, kick her grounded staff up into the grip of her one working arm, and slam it into the bridge of his nose for a swift, clean knockout. As the Orion sailed towards the ground, he hurled a knife before passing out which embedded itself in the woman's lower leg, bringing her to a knee. Whilst noise remained upstairs, the basement became relatively silent. A long pause of heavy breathing through clenched teeth came, before Astana weakly spoke, a hand over the passed out man to check his pulse. He was still with them.

"Guh... a... are there any left? I need time. Time to h... heal... 'Lothario'..." Astana croaked, not knowing that another healing ability was with them, waving a cut-open hand and placing a line of glowering water that looked nothing like any of the previous forms she used over the area the young man was struck. Muttering unknown under her breath, the water seemed to hum with a lone tone, and swirled gently across the man's stomach like the purest river. The man, even in his passed out state, would feel a sensation of great relief as the water seemed to 'suck the pain' from his wound.

"This... this is a different form of water I've been bestowed with. ...It seems to heal slowly, but gives great relief..." Astana's glimmering eyes glanced up from the unconscious man, looking towards the light user, "with this, we should fix our wounds however we can before heading upstairs... I... I think they've only stopped coming down here, because the battle up there is much more ferocious... I can hear the flames... oh, Gods..."

Compared to her appearance from when she began the battle, she was a mess. The blue of her dress was hidden in a mixture of mud, dirt, and green smears from her body's collision against rotted wood. Her smooth skin was barely noticeable from the drying blood caking around her mouth and nose; her charcoal hair lay ragged at one side of her head. Yet despite all of the pain and injuries that seemed to tug at her body, she refused to let go of conciousness. Her work wasn't done here.
==>
A few of the Orions seemed to have regained some vigor. Moura was working on draining another one's life when he noticed some that had been tied up by the metal man to go after him now. No doubt, they charged out of frustration from being bound. It was actually feeling easy as Moura got into a groove of disabling them with a dagger and further sealing their movements with the shock of having their life drained. There was one more that wasn't interested in raging after the metal man. He had certainly drawn a lot of aggro. As soft as he may have looked, he was quite capable. Moura finished draining him and had one more Orion that was interested in killing him.

He was rather lively as well, despite his crash and burn. Using the brief shock the man would feel from being drained, Moura plunged his dagger into his chest before the Orion could recover. The man's life was ended rather quickly by the dagger and didn't provide much for the Ascerbi. Having so much life felt odd, but he hadn't been in a fight to the death before today. There was no point in wasting.

The man crumpled in a red pool, while a blood-curdling shreik rang out. Blood sprayed out of the corner of Moura's vision as he turned to see the metal man get cleaved through his gut. Moura felt cold for an instance. He could only hope the man hadn't been killed. By the fact that he was able to bash the Orion's skull inward, he should still be alive, but the fact he lied unconscious in his own puddle of blood was very real. Another knight was already preparing to finish off the Ascerbi. There was no way he could reach him in time. He was surely about to witness another execution, when the passed out Ascerbi suddenly shot across the floor of the room. He lied in front of blue eyes now. It must have been her work.

There was another Orion waiting to finish the job if his counterpart failed the execution. After the first went running the second followed him, ready to finish off both blue eyes and metal man if his counterpart failed. Moura didn't wait to give him that chance. He darted after the two and again his dagger shot out from the dark essence and plunged into the back of the Orion. He pulled the dagger out and shoved it in again, repeating this only three times before he pulled the dagger out and threw the man to the ground. He looked up to see the other man flailing before his helmet was thrown off and he was knocked back on top of his companion. It seemed so sureal watching the flying man pull out a dagger himself and throw it into blue eyes' leg. It happened so fast he couldn't do anything.

Blue eyes still miraculously stayed conscious. No doubt out of the feeling that she needed to heal metal man. She was a miracle. "There are none left." While releasing their fogs, Moura instantly jumped behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders. Before she succumbed to her pain and exhaustion, Moura poured the excess life force he had stolen into her. After feeling she wouldn't pass out, he used one hand to gently remove the blade that was lodged in her shoulder. He threw it away once it was removed and was careful not to push life force into her too quickly. He wasn't sure how the body reacted to receiving life force to quickly. He then reached around her and slowly removed the dagger from her leg. He set it down next to the one he already made his own. It looked like she was doing well for the metal man, but she was right, her healing was slow. Her healing looked cleaner though. "Your healing is very good, but it is slow. Use it on yourself as well to ensure the cuts heal well and don't leave terrible scars. When I've used this on plants they came away with bad scars where they healed. Bodies aren't meant to heal quickly. My name is Moura by the way. We'll help upstairs when we're healed, but you two need to take better care of yourselves." He thought about the reason why he came out unscathed, and that was only because these two distracted most of them while he stabbed them in the back. He felt a little cowardly at letting her take brunts of damage while he just snuck around.
==>
As 'Moura' relieved her of the blades stuck within in her, she let out a gasp of pained relief. The light felt soothing, calmed her mind, and hit her with the rush of energy she needed; it was a good thing Astana didn't know the true 'source' of that healing energy, or she might've not felt so energised. As Astana seemed to partially spring back to life, her water healing around Hanselt intensified a little. She bowed her head towards Moura, still looking very much worse for wear, but a lot better thanks to her wounds being tended by him.

"Moura... I can't thank you enough. I did not realize the powers of light could be used to heal wounds... I thought I was the only one with such a gift. It's a reassurance knowing others have such an ability. With it, I'm sure we can help pursue 'peace'. I have several ideas on how we can attempt to make amends with men, and 'healing'... this could be our best chance... i-if you are interested, of course..." Astana smiled, oblivious to the fact that the healing had been sucked out from dying men. More water bloblets lifted from the ground, 'spitting' out the filth inside them, before hovering and settling atop Astana's wounds, flowing to heal herself properly along with Hanselt, though the light had been a big help.

Astana looked around herself slowly as the basement fell silent. Bodies of Orion - some breathing, some burnt, some unmoving - littered the basement.
'...Did we really do all of this?' Astana thought idly to herself, tears welling up a little in her eyes suddenly. She shook them away, 'No... stay calm, stay calm. You didn't kill anyone. The others did so to protect themselves, and to protect you. There was no other option. You are still clean.'

And so, the two conscious members of the basement party worked to treat the wounds of Hanselt, and the wounds they themselves had attained over the course of the fight. 'Cowards', 'fools', even if they were those things, there wasn't one who could argue against the following fact: they'd put up a damn good fight.

• Love
Reactions: Nav and Joan
His stumble tore the snarl right out of his throat, and his arms, spread out to catch him should he fall, pinwheeled until he caught his balance. How humiliating.

Through the portal, he caught a glimpse of the knights closing in. Then his vision swam and his view changed, reconciling the heavily armored backs before him and the charging knights on the other side of the portal. Ah. So that's what this was. An elaborate trick, a flanking effort. The elf wanted them to fight. If he could not convince them with words, then preventing their escape was a clever method.

So be it.

Akjari let the warmth in his chest expand to a raging inferno, hot even for him, its fingers creeping along his every nerve and scalding his bones. The sparks jumped from his fingers and reached hungrily for the knights, as if responding to his hatred. Or his fear. It was a mixture of emotions, now, and the flames were eating them up. As if commanded by his very thoughts, the fire surged outward from his fingertips and coated the knights in scorching heat that blackened the ornate armor of their backs.

That got their attention. Two of the closest knights spun about like clumsy dancers out of their element, swords waving. Akjari tugged the fire back and redirected it toward their helmets. But this was a tavern, a moist one, and thus his fire was not as hot as it ought to be. He scowled when he realized and poured all of his focus into those little flames.

One knight continued, seemingly impervious to his pathetic fire. Light pink burns were prominent under his helmet, but they didn't stop him. The man advanced on Akjari. The acerbus stepped back, then again, spitting fire, until his back hit the wall. Dammit.

The heavy sword descended, and Akjari ducked-- but the tip of the blade left a good gouge in his left shoulder. It just barely clipped his hair. He jerked, heaved from the pain, and half-sidestepped half-stumbled around to the knight's right side, where he shoved both hands into the seems of the plating and let lose a spurt of sparks and fire. Smoke billowed out of the collar of the armor and the man behind the helmet screamed.

His shoulder throbbed now. His left arm felt weak. The second knight, too wide to get past his companion before, advanced now. Akjari swallowed thickly, and raised his hands once more.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nav and Sav
COLLAB POST
Selia Mallory & Yolanda Veren

@Kimberlyn @Joan

>>Selia swore loudly when the pounding of footsteps and the voices of the Orion Knights reached her ears. She got to her feet quickly, watching as several of the idiots from before decided to take them head on. She shook her head, expecting to find them all dead later. She moved towards the woman who had seemed to recognize Tel'Naire, gripping her arm suddenly. "Are you planning on committing suicide, or do you want to help me bash some Orion skulls?"

She didn't care what the woman decided; Selia would be going through that portal. She had a feeling the woman knew how to hold her own, and working together was their best bet to making it out of this mess with hearts still beating. Judging from the sounds overhead, there had to be at least a full battalion. That meant at least fifty heavily armed, specially trained humans whose only goal in life was to slaughter Acerbii. Spurred on by both fear and shots of adrenaline, she jumped into the elf's wormhole, not waiting to see if the woman would follow.

>>As Tel'Naire's eyes met hers, Yolanda felt a chill run up her spine. Yet again, there were completely unexplained feelings running through her being, but before she could process them at all, he spoke the dreaded words.

"I sense Orions."

Are you...Shit!
The sounds coming from upstairs left no room for doubt, and she shot out of her chair and grabbed the staff she had set down moments before. As she stood, she took in the Acerbii who were preparing to stand and fight instead of making use of the portal, as well as the ones jumping or falling through the portal. Normally, she would have had a hard time choosing who to help, but the trust she had in the elf directed her to follow him, and she was just turning toward the portal when somebody grabbed her arm.

She twisted around and met the eyes of the blind woman. "Are you planning on committing suicide, or do you want to help me bash some Orion skulls?" The question burned in her ears as the woman released her and moved toward the portal at a rapid pace. Without a word, Yolanda followed her through.

Moments later, she found herself back upstairs and watching the two fire Acerbii fight the Orion. She took a step forward to help the one closest to her, the one who wasn't overdressed, but her way was blocked by another Orion on his way to the stairs. The stairs...There were the other Acerbii down there, right? She couldn't let him reach them, even if they were fool enough to try and fight the Orion head-on.

And so, she reached into one of her pouches and pulled out a handful of seeds and soil that she promptly flung at the back of the knight's neck. Some of it slid off, but the rest lodged itself in the gap between his armor and his torso. As the knight turned to face her, she took a deep breath and tugged on the seeds with her mind, causing them to grow at a rapidly accelerated pace. The seeds rapidly grew into thick, thorny rose vines, entangling the knight and the one next to him before they could move more than a couple more steps.

Unfortunately, while the first knight was effectively disabled by the thorns digging into his body, the soil was drained before the vines could do more than trap the second knight temporarily, and he was already pulling his arm loose. Not only that, her little trick had drawn the attention of the other nearby knights, and they were turning to attack her. With a sinking feeling in her chest, she dug her hand into another pouch and tightened her grip on her staff in preparation for the inevitable rush.

>>Selia felt like the air had been sucked out of her for the second that she was in the portal. When she came out of it, the disorientation of not being able to sense anything--even for a short period--kept her off balance for a moment. She shuddered, tightening her stance quickly and gauging the fight around her. One of the fire Acerbii had effectively injured or killed many of the Orions, but it wasn't enough. She smiled when she felt the presence of the woman next to her, and it was then that she joined the fray. She outstretched her arms, calling to the earth below them. The floor shook beneath them, knocking over bottles and chairs before pillars of rock shot out of the ground. Most of her targets had been smart enough to move at the last second, but a few others were not so lucky. They found themselves pinned to the ceiling, incapacitated. By the painful yells, a few had their bones crushed by the force.

The sudden attack had left her weaker than she had been before, and the Orions took advantage of that. They rushed her, leaving her only able to dodge and fling a few rocks towards their heads. One caught a clean blow to her back, sending her flying into a table. The wood snapped in half under her weight, splinters cutting through cloth and skin. She swore, rolling her body to the side as a sword attempted to cleave her in half. They had the element of surprise but only for a moment, and now she was forced on the defensive.

>>Yolanda's eyes widened when the blind woman made her move, and for a moment, she was quite taken aback. So, she's another earth Acerbus? That's actually quite helpful. The Orions that had been rushing her had mostly been taken care of by the rock, so she directed her attention to the ones rushing the other woman. She pulled her hand out of the pouch and flung another handful of seeds and soil onto the ground behind the Orions before tugging on the seeds once again.

These plants were thick, thorny blackberry bushes that she usually used for food, though they worked for combat as well. The bushes wrapped themselves around the legs and lower torso of the Orions that had been attacking the other woman, effectively stopping them in their tracks. However, the soil hadn't had quite enough nutrients to grow the berries as far as she wanted to, and she was left with slightly blurred vision and dizziness.

An Orion chose that moment to punch her in the back, and she hit the ground hard. She rolled onto her back and saw him standing over her with a sword in one hand. There was no way she could move away in time, and she swore as she raised the staff in an attempt to defend herself.

>>Selia sighed in relief when the Orions stopped their pursuit in favor of the other woman, but it didn't last long. She jumped to her feet, dodging blows and taking several well-aimed shots at their heads. One shot in particular managed to send the Orion's helmet flying, leaving the man exposed to her next barrage of attack. The metallic scent of blood filled her nostrils as she put him down like the dog he was. She smirked in triumph, turning to the rest. It was barely in time that she noticed the woman about to be cut down by a sword. She tackled the knight head-on, sending them both sprawling. She was glad then for the dagger at her hip, as it made for an easy cut to the jugular. Wiping blood from her face, she jumped back in time to miss a hatchet to her skull.

"If you can trap 'em," Selia called to the woman, "I'll send them back to Hell." It was only by working together that they would get out of this alive, as more Orions seemed to be streaming towards them. The others were in fights of their own, elements shot out in desperation. They had a chance, she realized, as their enemy's numbers were slowly dwindling. Perhaps they wouldn't all die today.

>>The other woman knocked the Orion off of Yolanda with a full-bodied tackle, leaving her both surprised and grateful. She quickly got to her feet while the other woman dispatched the Orion.

"If you can trap em', I'll send them back to Hell."

"That I can!" Once again, her hand dove into a pouch, and her eyes darted back and forth as she searched for the best place to throw the seeds. She quickly settled on a group of Orions moving in their direction, took aim, and threw. The seeds grew even as she threw them, revealing themselves to be seeds of bean plants. The vines were of a particularly thick variety, and as they fell in the midst of the Orions, she manipulated them to actively seek out the hands and feet of the Orions.

"That a clear enough shot for you?" she called to the other woman.

>>Selia grinned when she sensed the last few Orions being stopped in their tracks. Perfect. She got to her feet, swinging her arm forward in a quick jabbing motion. Small pillars of rock shot out of the ground like before, but at an angle. Each one managed to hit a pressure point, usually their pulsing necks, with enough force to break bone. Strangled cries filled the room, and it was then that she toppled the large pillars from before, raining tons of rock on top of their enemies. It crushed those last few bastards within seconds, leaving them to die painfully if they had managed to live through all of that.

She sighed, the adrenaline slowly wearing off and the pain in her side becoming more furious. Sucking in a breath, she straightened, moving somewhat awkwardly over to the woman who had helped her. Without her, Selia would probably be a corpse. Strength in numbers had certainly proven itself today. Placing a hand on the woman's shoulder, she smiled--something of a rarity. "That was badass. I'm Selia."

After proper introductions, she made her way back towards the basement, wondering if the fools who hadn't taken the portal were even still alive. She supposed at least one of them had to have made it, but it was unlikely any of them had gone unscathed. Vaguely, she wondered where the elf had been during the fight. If he had joined them or simply sat back and let them do all the dirty work.

>>Yolanda allowed herself a slight smile once the other woman had dealt with the Orions. It was brutal, certainly, but it was no less than the bastards deserved. Besides, she was relieved that they had taken on the Orions and actually come out relatively uninjured.

As the adrenaline bled away, she became aware that the area between her shoulders was throbbing with pain, no doubt from when the Orion had knocked her over. She was generally aching all over as well, and she let out a small sigh as she turned toward the basement stairs. I always forget how painful fighting can be. Oh well.

She felt the hand on her shoulder and turned to face the other woman, returning her smile. "Same to you. I'm Yolanda." She noted the woman's slight limp, and her smile faded. "You might want to let the pacifist woman take a look at you if she survived the fight downstairs."

She followed Selia toward the basement fairly rapidly. Her mind was focused on learning who had survived downstairs, if any of them had, that is. They're Acerbii, aren't they? Besides, the fire wielders and Selia and I hopefully thinned the crowd out enough for them. Still, I'll be relieved once I see them alive and the Orions dead. Her concern for her fellow Acerbii overrode any curiosity she may have had about Tel'Naire's whereabouts, for now.

Her head spun, within a single step Clarice travelled from the dark and damp basement back into the pub floor. She cursed the elf. With this power, Tel'Naire could have pulled them all out, but instead the cur had chosen the bloodiest alternative. Patrons had made their selves scarce, in a hurry, judging by lying chairs and broken bottles. In their place there were soldiers and acerbii; cinders interlocked flesh to the agonising backdrop of screams. Clarice pulled her hood over her head. Fire or steel, she possessed neither. She knew not how to fight.

Clarice couldn't make herself small or scarce enough. She ducked under the tables, knowing there was nothing but prayers keeping her safe now. If there was no knights waiting for her at the other side of the door, there would be men who – as a certain brick house of an acerbus referred to them earlier - had crawled out of holes, not manors. In the midst of a blaze of fire and vines, Clarice caught eye of that acerbus; spitting fire at two steadily approaching knights. His flames did not ward the two men and if they reached him, not even the man's size would stand between him and their swords. She feared the worst. Perhaps not for the man, but for herself, should the other acerbii fall.

Scrambling from under the furniture, Clarice' mind raced. Her hands reached for the hard liquor still on the table and with her fingers tangled around the bottle's neck, she scampered to the man's aid. The first knight he'd traded blows with, the acerbus came out on top, but the second – Clarice hauled back the bottle and smashed it against the side of the knight's head! His helmet took the brunt of the blow, but the glass shattered and the liquor splashed all over; igniting the fire acerbus' small flame. The recoil of her swing cost Clarice her balance, tumbling back onto the alcohol-stained floor. Wide-eyed, she could not help but witness the man she had helped set ablaze roar and rage. She cut her hands on the shards of glass, trying to scramble out of the burning knight's path. Her bloody hand grasped onto the fire acerbus' wrist. "Can ye fight?" Clarice panted with heavy sailor's accent, as she locked eyes on the man's gaping wound. "No near the last o' 'em."

• Love
Reactions: Nav
[bg=#000000]
rp5.png

Tel'Naire waited not for the others to follow and instead stepped immediately into his portal. Spat out on the otherside, he hastily moved to pull back his cloak. Where once was silver hair, was black hair, where once was elven ears, was rounded ears, where once was age, was youth. The elf, who was surprisingly, an elf no more, hummed contentedly as he looked on at the Orions spilling into the city of Sorvan. They ripped apart the Golden Scribe, though the Acerbus seemed to be doing plenty of damage on their own, he noted. His eyes narrowed as he watched. If anyone had followed him, he seemed blissfully unaware of their presence—though with his elf-like qualities removed, it would have been hard to recognize him at first.

"What a shame," he cooed softly to himself, "I hate to see a perfectly good city burn but… I suppose I must do what I must do." The man, hwo had once disguised himself as an elf, clicked his left hand and the heavens opened. "To think, I very nearly had them tricked. Well…" he was interrupted by a soft crackle and he opened his left palm. In it, was a small stone—an ancient rune.

"My king," Tel'Naire answered as the stone began to vibrate against his skin.

"Do you bring news?" the stone seemed to transmit a voice.

"I have, your majesty. I believe we have found a suitable group for your needs."

"Most excellent, I expect you to bring them to me, Master Tel'Naire. Good work, but your job is far from over, do I make myself clear?"

"Your majesty…" Tel'Naire closed his fist around the stone, clenching it tight until it became as motionless and quiet as a stone ought to.

Descending from his watch point in the hillside above the city, Tel'Naire began to descend towards the village. The heavens cracked and screamed as thunder began to spire down. Clouds gathered from nowhere, growing from thin air over previously clear skies. Fires began to start from where they had not been before, eating away at the city walls and beginning to consume the village inch by inch. The air became heavy with the smell of burnt flesh and smoke that hung in a haze. The city was being eaten alive by fire that crept from the outer walls inward. Petrified by the sights and sounds of their village falling around them, and roaring waves of fire crashing towards them, the civilians began to flee in multitude. Children screamed, women cried, men shouted. The fire was taking over everything and from his perch, Tel'Naire watched, his fingers coiled and dancing, controlling the flames with such a stagnant ease.

The Orion Knights pressed on; not even their own death scared them enough to cause them to shy away from their mission.

OBJECTIVES:
OH HEY YOU DUN GOT TRICKED, SON.

Well done on the fights, Ya'll are bad-ass but now you have a new problem like… oh, the whole city is on fire. Currently, you all are pinned between ravaging fire and Orion Knights. You've thinned their numbers and some of you may (waters and fires) be able to manipulate the flames, but there is a lot going on. You may extinquish a flame only to find another grows in its place.

Maybe you want to escape… like… I don't know… through those ancient Elven ruins below the city? You know, just a hint.

Oh hey, maybe you all should elect a leader, too? Maybe. If you want.

Or you can dig in your heels at Sorvan and try not die. If you find yourself close enough to Tel'Naire, you may wish to try and capture him and restrain him. He clearly has interesting information.

Next GM post: ~April 1st.

I'm gone from the 21st-29th, so if you have questions… tough luck, figure it out. 8D

[/CENTER][/bg]

Dispelling her water around the unconscious man's body, Astana gave a quiet sigh, looking up to Moura. Their combined efforts had sealed the deep cut across the length of his chest well, but he hadn't regained consciousness just yet, and it had certainly left a scar. The droplets of pure water slithering their way back into the canteens around Astana's belt, her eyes trailed back down to the user of Bellerophon briefly.
"...This is all we can do for him for now. He's certainly still breathing, and there are no signs that any of his organs are working incorrectly. I suppose it was just shock from pain that caused him to pass out, thank fate..."

The Acerbi's words trailed off into a silent nothingness as her ears twitched at the sound of footsteps coming down the collapsed stairwell, into the three's basement. Narrowing her eyes and carefully getting to her feet, Astana's hand hovered over her quarterstaff, water sloshing inside their containers around her waist.
'More of them...? No... the footsteps aren't armoured. It's either a civilian, or another one of ours,' the thoughts stopped Astana from drawing her weapon, and she observed as two women had decided to make their way down in to the basement. It was the one that Astana suspected had lost her eyesight, along with the rather quiet women who had adorned a hood.

The basement littered with fallen Orion, the dark-skinned woman slowly got back up to her feet, and began to slowly approach the duo. A once shimmering-blue dress was in tatters from the marks of blades around her shoulder, and the impact of a bludgeoning weapon around her stomach. Skin that was once smooth was caked with dirt and dried blood that had leaked from her nose and mouth, and a wide patch around her cheek was puffy and bruised. Despite being healed by Moura, a cut-induced scar lay deep in her hand, and less so in her shoulder and leg. A figure of blood, mud, and soiled blue, two pristine sapphires of eyes remained lit in Astana's injured husk. Silently, she came closer and closer, a look in her eye that was almost cold.

"...You're injured," she finally whispered. Wordlessly, she lifted a hand, and a flow of pure water - unless they objected to it - began to flow over the wounds of the two women. Just like how it had with the young man, the crystal-clear water seemed to hum and shine slightly, rippling; flowing; as a pair of crystalline blue eyes stared intently at the water. It repaired the damage slowly, but it provided a soothing comfort that seemed to 'massage' the skin with its flow, and dull pain into some sort of calming feeling instead.

After a while, Astana drew the water back into her flasks, giving a wordless nod before she began to speak again, a soft tone that was being polluted into a rasping tone due to the acrid smoke above.
"That aught to keep you going..." she murmured, managing a smile. Looking down at the floor, it seemed like there was something else she wanted to say - particularly to the woman who'd called her a 'coward' in particular - but she held it in. Her head trailing back up, Astana didn't even consider her own dirtied and rough state as she looked up into the collapsed stairwell leading up to the next floor, swarmed with the bodies of Orion both unconscious and ripped into the claws of death alike.

"Is there anybody else up there in need of treatment? With the building in flames, we can't stay in here for long, but we should be okay for a while as long as we're outside," Astana said, completely oblivious of the raging fire outside the tavern that had began to consume the city. "...There was one person I was looking for in particular. ...That... that young girl. Without her - along with the assistance of all of you, of course - we would be dead. But she did something to this stairway... that gave us an advantage beyond anything we could've asked for."

"I understand now that my decision to stay down here truly was foolish, and could've cost me my life," Astana continued, "In the end, I don't know what the true reason for me staying down here was. Was it to avoid the indescribable suffering those Fire Acerbi undoubtedly caused...? Was it because I thought it could offer some sort of tactical advantage? Or was it..." Astana's words suddenly cut off as she eyed the blind woman of the two. Her voice suddenly took a slow, more serious, and somewhat bitter tone. "...to prove something?"

• Love
Reactions: Nav and Joan
collab with @Jakers and @Danger

Clarice did not hear the sky crackle, but the flash of lightning flared up the entire floor. She rubbed the blur from her eyes, her heart still pounding as if it was digging it's escape. The controlled bursts or acerbus flames were usurped by frenzied gluttons; setting their teeth into any scrap of wood the Scribe had to offer. Suffocating fumes seized the building, tearing up her eyes. Screams no longer came only from within the elven pub; the other side of the windows was too being dined on by flames. Fear gripped Clarice, but midst the inferno she could not even hear it leaving her mouth.

The girl did not wait for the answer of the fire acerbus. She clawed her way onto her feet by the nearest table, leaving her bloodied handprints behind. Outside. Her instincts cried. Covering her mouth, pulling her hood tighter over her head, Clarice ran through the falling flames from the pub's collapsing ceiling. The smokes tightened their chokehold. Embers licked at her cloth, though the air was too thin for them to settle. Clarice skipped the doorknob; throwing her full weight against the wood. Come on, come on. Her thoughts begged, not daring to put her hands on a metal handle. Again, she tossed her shoulder onto the wood, but came down with far more weight than she had expected. A hand with skin that felt hard as leather grabbed her wrist and pulled her arm in a lock. Even through the thick fumes, she could feel her captor gasp for air in her neck. His heartbeat knocking anxiously against her back. She was confined between the door and the heft of an orion knight!

From the corner of her eye, Clarice could see he had stripped of his armour and blade, but the knight's free hand reached for his belt, taking from it a rondel dagger with a leather grip. The details blurred with the smoke and tears; but the sentence felt clear as day. This ruin-in-the-making of a lowlife pub was where she'd come to die.

~

Sandal-clad feet hurrying the best they could up the collapsed stairs and rubble, a wall of heat caused the body of the lost artist to droop, and her mind to slowly wither away into a realm of unfathomable disbelief. The situation upstairs had been even worse than Astana had envisioned.

Infernos. Melted, black-yellow flesh. Spilled crimson; spilled intestines. All of which completely deformed the once bustling establishment known as 'The Golden Scribe' into a place of nothing but death and anguish. Black colours and crimson spikes swirled inside the eyes of the Water Acerbi as she fought back the urge to expel the liters of bile building up in her throat, or the urge to huddle up in a ball and pray to 'wake up'. But for the sake of the others; for the sake that her 'abilities' could save lives, she had to stay awake within this dream. She had to stay awake, because she'd spotted 'her', threatened with the 'blade'.

She felt like she couldn't muster any energy to bring out her 'water' in this heat… the surrounding flames were too much; her body felt starved of all energy. But if that was the case… why was she moving with such speed? Why were her teeth clenched in the way they were: like an animal's, sapphire eyes reflecting hints of murderous orange. She felt like a woman possessed by something in the moment of seeing this 'girl' about to die.

And so, with an intent she'd never felt brew in her stomach before, Astana pounced.

Her body flung by a small wave she'd somehow mustered the strength to create underneath her feet, she landed on the back of the Orion Knight, gripping him as tightly as she could with her legs, constricting the 'demon' by the neck as tightly as she could with her quarterstaff. She pulled, pulled, pulled, as hard as her arms would allow, and when the Orion still looked like he had the strength to plunge the dagger into innocent young flesh, Astana sunk her teeth into the neck of the man with a growl that brought tears to her eyes. She'd never heard that come out of her mouth before. The voice felt like someone else's.

"R-Run…" Astana's muffled voice managed to say, teeth soaked with blood and flesh. The Orion was starting to lose consciousness, but at the same time, possessed the strength to eventually shake her off.

~

The knight's grip weakened, his weapon wavered from Clarice' throat. She recognised a whimper of a voice, but the orion knight was still too strong for her to run. Clarice tried to plunge her elbow into the man's stomach, but pushed against the door she could not find enough strength. The knight's struggle was not over, again his hand and the dagger within it inched closer to her throat. She had to escape, now. Clarice pressed the tips of her fingers against the door in front of her. The wood near the joints splintered, the weight of three people tore it from it's place. Clarice crashed onto the pavement, soon followed by the weight of the knight tumbling off of her.

The dagger had fallen from the knight's hands. Clarice scrambled on all fours, grasping for the blade. Her fingers clasped around the weary leather grip, Clarice prayed the weapon would give her strength - but when she turned around to face the knight she saw the dark-skinned woman, holding the knight in a choke with her staff pressed against his throat.

The knight wasn't moving, but Clarice wasn't about to double-check. "Get up." She urged the woman, beckoning her to follow. They hadn't escaped their sentence just yet, as - had there been more time, Clarice would have been in awe of the coordination that bewitched the roaring heavens and raging fires. "We'll live if we can make it to the sewers. Hurry."

Without even waiting for a response, Clarice darted ahead. The stench of burnt flesh made her stomach coil, the town's panic echoed in the back of her skull. She tried to retrace her steps, running down the same streets to find the well she had crawled out of. Clarice threw a quick look over her shoulder, before she grabbed hold of the grating between their escape and herself. Clarice pulled with all her strength, silently begging the sewers themselves weren't already swarming with knights and frightful townsfolk…

~

Releasing her staff from its iron grip around the unmoving Orion's throat, Astana's eyes widened, her arm wiping her bloodied mouth; her breaths going to a crescendo of anxiety as she realized what she'd done. In the madness of the flames, the screaming, the falling pieces of burning material, she didn't have time to check if she'd truly murdered a man. She could've sworn she heard and saw his breathing, but that could've been her mind believing what it wanted to believe.

No… no. It was fine. She'd lost her temper for a good cause. That animalistic instinct hadn't been true evil. That 'colour' she'd envisioned in her mind wasn't as terrifying as possible when she'd clutched that beast of a man.

Scrambling back up to her feet and clumsily throwing the quarterstaff back over her shoulder, burnt particles and fragments of debris stuck to Astana's skin as she tried her best to answer the call of the young girl. As her mind came to, however, she was reminded of the blood and flesh in her mouth, and the stench of death of the destroyed town. Not being able to hold it in, the Water Acerbii placed a hand over her mouth, her body reeling over as she retched an acidic bile that felt like daggers in her throat.
"I'm… *cough*... I'm…" she wiped her mouth, limping over to the girl. She tried to find something else to say, but couldn't. It was all too much to take in.

Looking to the side, the woman noticed something to the side. A young boy, who couldn't have been older than ten, was howling for help, trapped against a wall, confined within a prison of flaming wooden debris. Despite the urgency of the situation, Astana swore she would take the time to do one right thing. Surrounding her hands in a sleeve of water with what little she had left, she reached across to the pieces of flaming wood, the pain still unbelievable, but made bearable with the water surrounding her hands. Holding a piece up that made a gap for the child to run out of, water evaporated and boiled against the heat of the flaming debris.
"Get… out… g-gooo…!" Astana roared, and without a word, the child scurried out. Shaking her blistered hands and trying to ignore the searing pain that was being soothed, Astana headed back to the young girl.

"These people…" Astana murmured through near unbearable pain, watching as the child hurried off with a cry for a mother, "Is there… is there no way we can…" but she cut off, knowing the answer to that question. Walking back to the sewer grate, Astana peered inside. She'd only heard things about the sewers; she was fortunate enough not to have been in such a place, but inside there was paradise compared to the terrible things that were going on up here. Without hesitance, the lost artist prepared to fellow.

~

Clarice grabbed the woman's wrist, "Dodgast, 'urry!" She pulled the woman down the urban pockmark. Clarice could feel the woman's burns on her arms, the thought alone made her teeth clench. After her fellow acerbus, Clarice hastily pulled back the gratin.

Now that Clarice finally got a good look at her, the woman was bruised and battered far beyond what was left of her make-up could hide. "Ye- You fought, didn't you?" Clarice asked, reigning back her sailor's tongue. She didn't know anything about the woman's abilities, past her suggested skill in healing, but from what she saw it had come to blows. "You've got the devil's luck, not many live to tell the tale." Clarice bemoaned, her eyes drawn by the fiery gleam on the sewer walls. "If we make it out of here."

She searched her memory for the way out of Sorvan City, but midst the terror and haste Clarice her head felt in a daze. She followed her gut, taking the woman's hand – more gently this time, leading her into the darkness. "My name is Clarice," She introduced herself briefly, "Thank you, for saving me."

~

There was something wrong. The smell of smoke and burning flesh was in the air, but he had only just arrived seconds ago. After having received his note, Axel had to come check out the Golden Scribe. The Shadow Acerbus was confident enough in his own abilities to escape, his teleportation and the little knowledge of his particular element all adding to his confidence. However, the screams of terror and the crackle of fire was the last thing he had expected.

Walking briskly through the sewers, he noted the cooldown on his teleport. Perhaps it would be safer to send his shadow on ahead, but there was limited light in the sewers and likely spots he couldn't pass. He was vulnerable when apart with his shadow, and with his own limited knowledge of what was happening outside of the sewers, Axel wasn't about to risk it.

And it would mean spending more time in the stink. The shadow Acerbus had expected the sewers to smell bad, but not this bad. And others of his own kind lived in it? He supposed that if they had no other choice, then it was the best one.

Only a minute now. The darkness was refreshing, the lack of a heat/light source making it cool. However, heat definitely seemed to be nearby. Were things on fire? From the little info he had gathered so far, it would have to have been something large in order to create the level of screams he could hear from the sewers. How long had he been here again? At least three minutes.

Surely he was nearing the entrance by now. Or something akin to an entrance. It was as if the sounds and smells were getting louder and stronger. Axel's steps slowed, hearing voices up ahead. He could sense shadows up ahead, which meant light. Cautiously, he moved closer, unsure of what to find.

Two women had just entered the sewer. With the light from the many fires up ahead, he could see that they were battered and bloody. One had dark skin, with piercing blue eyes and strange markings. The Shadow Acerbus couldn't quite see the other. Who were they? What were they escaping from? If they were, that was. Cautiously, Axel stepped forward a little, enough that the light from the fires was enough to see him by. He didn't know if it was a good idea, but his gut feeling told him that they were safe. That, and the fact that they seemed far too exhausted to cause him any harm.
~

The stench was nothing. In fact, compared to what was up the ladder, it was heavenly. Being able to breathe without inhaling lungful after lungful of smoke felt like a peaceful respite above all else, and even if it made her gag, Astana savored it. Even if it meant she had to gingerly wade in this putrid mess and ruin the gifted clothes she held dear, it didn't matter. She wanted to be as far away from up there as possible. It was just too horrid to think about.

Her body wrenching as it gave a few coughs to fully remove some of the bile from earlier, she did her best to attune her eyes to the dark environment, being sure to keep a hold of the young girl's guiding hand. Without it, she'd be lost in a place like this, especially in her condition. She was fresh out of 'pure' water, and certainly wouldn't be able to find any in a sewer. For now, there was no choice but to ignore all the pain and grime.

Looking down at the girl as she spoke, it was in this brief moment of respite Astana had a chance to fully examine the girl. Even here, in the darkness, the tall woman could envision wisps of silvery-yellow light circling the girl; dancing around her. As she watched these colours swirl to try and soothe her mind, she forged a response.
"...I did foolishly attempt to fight, for a reason I'm still unsure of. But… despite the odds, 'luck' was not the reason for our survival… that reason..." the tall woman gently gave the hand of 'Clarice' a squeeze, looking down on her with a strained smile, "...Was you."

She was about to give thanks and her name in return, until she was the second of the two to notice the figure standing ahead of them, revealed by dim lights. Astana couldn't make out a face, as it was hidden by a dark hood. Even though she could only make out a little of the man's face, contrary to Clarice at her side, this figure seemed to have some sort of deep, dark presence, even within the light. She tilted her head to one side, slowly, as she instinctively moved her body in front of Clarice's. The way this man was standing there, watching them, made her uneasy. She didn't want to be forced into yet another battle.

"...Stranger, you cannot go up there," Astana spoke up in a voice that was tense and shaky, keeping a hand near her quarterstaff as she shielded Clarice's body with her own. After some silence, she spoke up, this time quieter and filled with more emotion, "W-we're not looking for trouble… this town and its people have seen enough suffering today…"

~
Axel straightened up a little, his hands resting on the daggers inside his cloak. While he likely didn't need them, it was better to be safe than sorry. He kept his hood on, however his eyes narrowed beneath it. He took a step back, as the girls were not the only ones who didn't want trouble. He had no reaction as the dark skinned woman took a protective stance over the other, though he wondered the relationship between the two.

"Neither am I. So long as you do not attack me, I will not attack you. What has become of Sorvan City? And, if I may inquire, the Golden Scribe?" His voice was low and flat; nothing to indicate how he was feeling. The only changes were the pitch as he asked questions, and they were kept to a minimum. He had been held up by things, as the Shadow Acerbus had been meaning to arrive earlier. But despite being able to teleport, he was late. And perhaps that was for the best, considering the commotion outside of the sewers.

Thinking, Axel relaxed his stance ever so slightly. Perhaps he was making them nervous, as he had just appeared almost out of nowhere. They likely hadn't expected to see anyone in the sewers. Just then, a loud crash sounded outside. It was as if something had fallen, likely a house to the flames. The Acerbus tensed, gripping harder on his daggers, prepared to open up a red line in their throats. The shadows here were flickering; the flames dancing outside as they consumed all there was to consume.

The brief surge of adrenaline faded away, and he once again relaxed his stance. "Perhaps there is a better place to discuss things. I will not harm you or your friend, however I will not hesitate to slit your throats should I think you are a danger to me." Axel didn't mean it as a threat, simply the cold truth. He had no time to sugarcoat anything. And he knew he was more than capable of teleporting behind them with a dagger to their throats. Taking a few steps backwards, he kept his eyes on them. He couldn't see any projectile weapons, however they could have throwing knives tucked away. He wasn't about to turn his back on them any time soon, unless they managed to earn a little trust. "My name is Axel. Yours?"

~

His questions, his eyes searching their possessions. Everything about Axel was suspicious, but the second he threatened them, Clarice' mind was made up. "We know nothing." Clarice leered at the man's pale, hooded figure. With all that had passed, she had no intention of being at anyone else's knifepoint that day. Once more she took the dark-skinned woman's arm, hoping to herself her gut wouldn't fail her as Clarice hinted at the woman she intended to pass by Axel in as wide a circle as the sewer passage allowed.

"Don't follow us."

~

Swallowing nervously, being told her throat would be slit upon being considered 'dangerous' didn't sit well with Astana, either. Did either of them truly look malicious? A heavily injured muck and blood-splattered wreck of a woman, being guided in a foreign land by a young girl.
"W-what you could consider a 'danger' concerns me… no throats will be slit today, 'Axel'. Maintain your distance… we just seek escape… as should you."

Letting herself be pulled by Clarice, Astana caught on to the fact she wanted to be as far away from this man as possible. She agreed, although… no matter how suspicious an individual may be, they didn't deserve to see what was up there. Because of that, she left some parting words.
"...Can you not hear the screams? The roaring flames? What do you think has become of Sorvan City?" Astana closed her eyes sadly, shaking her head, "Wherever you were thinking of going, turn back. This place is no longer fit for anybody… now is not the time for an 'introduction', just run. They were here. Put your mind to nothing, aside from run."

With that, the woman kept close to Clarice as she was hurriedly led through the sewer, her spare arm gripping her quarterstaff as she kept an eye on the young girl's back, an azure eye wary like a mother's. She prayed fate wouldn't test her mettle in combat once more, by making this 'mysterious stranger' a malicious individual. Hopefully he was but another face caught in the confusion of everything, and nothing more.

>>Selia was glad to find that everyone seemed unharmed. Although she'd had her qualms with a few of them, she hardly wished death upon them. Besides, she knew now that they could all survive a bout with Orions. That was worth some degree of respect, despite conflicting perceptions. She chewed her lip, wondering where that Tel'Naire fellow had run off to. He had been the first to jump through his own portal, but she had not seen him when she had come out the other side. It was...unnerving, to say the least, and every fiber in her being screamed that the danger was hardly over. Shifting her feet, she froze when she felt the icy touch of water against the wound in her side. It quickly dissolved into a soothing sensation, however, and she couldn't help but sigh in relief. She looked at the Astana, using much more than sight to understand the woman's bitterness towards her especially.

Biting her own remarks before they could be free, she simply nodded her thanks, grateful for the relief. Healing was certainly a wondrous ability, no doubt about that. And, to an extent, Selia could now understand the woman's sentiments. Healers rarely ever wanted to fight. It was against their preposterous moral code or something like that. Despite herself, she scoffed when Astana seemed to be pointedly aiming her bitterness towards her. "I will not apologize for what I said before. In this life or the next, there's no use in trying to prove yourself to anyone. Just keep yourself alive, right? That's all that anyone truly cares about in the end." Selia reeled herself back in quickly, chiding herself for allowing her own trauma to leak into her words. It didn't matter, not anymore. Whoever she was before this hell, she didn't care. She could feel her bones shattering like a phantom crawling beneath her skin, but she shoved the memory back away. They were useless thoughts.

"Thank you...for the treatment. Despite myself, I can see now that there are hardly cowards among you. Though I suppose we'll never truly understand the other's position." She left it at that, moving her shoulder in circles to loosen the stiffening muscles. It had been quite a while since she had used her powers to such extent, and it had taken a great deal of her stamina to do so. As usual, she found herself breathing more heavily than one would expect, a symptom of her weaker constitution.

>>Yolanda breathed a faint sigh of relief to see that everybody seemed to have survived. They were definitely worse off than before, especially the younger-looking man who appeared to be unconscious, but they had lived, and that was enough for her. She noticed the blue-eyed woman's cold demeanor as she approached them, and she couldn't help but groan internally. She respected the woman's morals and her desire to stick to them, she truly did, but being angry at others for not adhering to her own moral code was where Yolanda felt she was pushing it. Not everybody sees the world the way you do, woman, she thought to herself crossly. Still, the healing for her and Selia was definitely welcome.

She listened to the conversation between Selia and the blue-eyed woman with half an ear, as something else had caught her attention. The remarkable coolness of the woman's water had called her attention to something else. The growing warmth of the room, the sweat drop that had just rolled down her forehead, the hot, tight sense of unease in her stomach and throat, the smell creeping in...

That can't all be the fire users, can it?

"Selia?" She spoke aloud, then stopped, startled by the sound of her own voice. It was hoarse, weak, quivering slightly, with a sort of...withered quality to it. It was only upon hearing the sound of her own voice that the real danger became apparent.

"We have to go. Now." Her voice was urgent, even in its current state. "Someone's started a fire, a big one, and I don't--" A cough interrupted her, one with the roughness of somebody who hadn't had water in over a day. She grabbed a waterskin from her belt and took a sip before continuing. "I don't think the others caused it, not something this big."

>>Selia looked in Yolanda's direction, suddenly aware of the rising heat and suffocating air. Now she knew why she was breathing so heavily, even moreso than she would have expected. She'd thought the smell of smoke had been from the fire Acerbii, but now she could tell that it was something much worse. Sucking in a breath, she mounted the stairs quickly, not even thinking about the possibility of the sewers. She had an inkling this new challenge had something to do with their new "friend" Tel'Naire. And damnit, she was going to find out why.

"C'mon, we need to find that damned elf. I have a few questions for him." She broke out into a run then, covering her mouth as she stepped into the acrid air of the ruined tavern. She couldn't see the smoke, but she could feel the newfound burn in her lungs and stinging sensation in her eyes. She squeezed them shut, sensing that Yolanda was right on her heels. Intense heat surrounded her, but the flames were luckily away from the exit. When Selia finally stepped into the night air, it was absolute chaos. The townspeople were screaming, running about with crying children in tow. There was no sense of order, no one to help those who were already burning to death. She blocked it all out, focusing on her true goal.

Coughing horribly, Selia pushed on, swearing as she realized that she had no sense of the fire's direction. She fell back, reaching for Yolanda's arm. "I can barely tell where the fire is, damnit. I'm going to need your help a bit." She hated admitting her weakness, but all she could rely on was the unbearable heat of the flaming city. It already had her in a vice, sweat dripping down her face. She'd likely burn herself before she realized she was far too close.

>>"Elf?" Yolanda looked at Selia turning to leave for a moment before it dawned on her. Her eyes widened, and she called after the blind woman. "Wait, you don't mean-" She stopped as Selia kept going without answering her, pondered for a moment, and then ran after her. As she ran, she dug a piece of thick, dampened cloth out of a belt pouch and tied it firmly over her mouth and nose, using a piece of cord attached to the bottom to secure the bottom half in place by tying it to her cloak. It helped allieviate the effects of the smoke somewhat, but by the time they made it out of the tavern, her breathing was already on the point of wheezing. Her eyes blinked rapidly, trying to keep from drying out to no avail.

Then Selia was grabbing her arm and speaking to her, and she nodded rapidly. "Right." She grabbed on to the blind woman's hand as tightly as she could and began searching the city with her gaze for Tel'Naire while searching through her memories for possible places he could be. Despite the importance this city held in her history, her memories had faded due to years away from the city, and she turned to speak to Selia.

"If you really think he caused this, then where do you think he would have to be to light the whole city on fire?" The bitterness was evident in her voice as she spoke, even though it was accompanied by wheezing. She didn't want to believe Selia, damn it, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of other possibilities at the moment.

>>Selia swore as she realized they had not a blasted idea where they were going. She felt around her, hoping to sense his presence somewhere nearby. After several long moments (the chaotic screaming and running was certainly of no help), she stopped, turning slightly as she looked in the general direction of their elven "friend." She pointed, coughing so much that it became impossible to speak. She couldn't quite place it, but something felt different about the elf. His gait had lightened, although it was familiar enough to be recognized. She started towards him, the earth cracking beneath her feet as rage welled up. Whatever his intentions were, she could tell that he was controlling the fire.

Just as she started to get closer, however, more Orion Knights bared down on the two Earth Acerbii, cutting them off from their target. She hissed, taking advantage of the open ground to split rock and boulder. She sent a barrage of rocks towards their enemies, hoping to overwhelm them with the sheer force of it all. It worked, to some extent, but she'd only managed to incapacitate a few of the bastards. "Fuck," she hissed as she was forced on the defensive. They were surrounded, the Orions coming at them relentlessly. "Let's try this again, shall we?" She had to yell over the roar of the flames and the screams of the people. All the while, her focus was split as she made sure to keep Tel'Naire's location in mind. It was clear that this fight would not be so easy for the two women.

>>Yolanda watched anxiously as Selia worked to locate Tel'Naire. It seemed to quite literally take an agonizing amount of time as the heat of the fire began to find its way through her clothes to dry her skin, and when Selia finally pointed in a general direction, she immediately set out that way, leading the blind woman as best she could. At this point, her focus had narrowed down to exactly two things: finding Tel'Naire and keeping the pair of them alive in the inferno raging around them.

So, when the Orion Knights showed up, her heart felt like it was sinking into the pit of her stomach. Selia noticed them long before she did and called her attention to them by throwing rocks at them. She cursed under her breath and shoved her hand into another pouch, her hand closing around several thornbush seeds.

Selia's words reached her ears, and she responded by tossing the seeds she was holding into the air before dispersing them with her abilities. She was acutely aware of each one as they floated to rest among the circle of Orion around them. The placement was perfect, but as she began to pull on them to make them grow, she became acutely aware of the drain the fire was having on her powers. She was being unable to supply the seeds with the energy and nutrients they needed, and while they were growing, it was at nearly half the pace she had been making them grow before. If somebody didn't act fast, the Orions would have more than enough time to wriggle free. What the seeds needed was help, and she thought she knew how to give it to them.

"Hit them now or wrap earth around the seeds! I need the minerals to help them grow!" She yelled to Selia, pulling her staff from her back in case this didn't work. She would go down fighting, or she wouldn't go down at all. It was as simple as that.

>>Gritting her teeth, Selia realized just how weak they both were with the fire blazing around them. Swearing profusely, she aided Yolanda as best she could, reducing the earth beneath the Orions to rubble finer than sand. It trapped them enough to give her time to send pillars shooting for the vital points in their armor. Again, her efforts barely seemed to help, as only a few were taken down with her strike. The others adapted quickly, using sword and pure strength to pull themselves out of the trap. Their anger was hot like the fire, and she wheezed as she tried pulling back.

She dodged blow after blow then, sent into a frenzy as she counterattacked without rhyme or reason. Rocks went flying, sailing towards their heads but rarely having enough speed to have any effect. She was so distracted that she didn't even notice the Orion Knight sneaking behind her until the last second. Selia only had to time to move slightly before the sword could pierce her straight through the heart. It instead found her shoulder, slicing through skin and muscle like butter. Crying out in pain, she faltered then, taking a swift kick to the back that sent her sprawling into her own sand pit. Coughing miserably from the smoke and dust, Selia barely managed to roll to the side to avoid being cleaved by yet another sword.

She was losing her grip now, and Selia suddenly wished she'd just left Tel'Naire alone. Now she was going to die at the hands of these monsters, and they would leave her body to burn in the horrible flames.

>>The sand was most definitely not what Yolanda had had in mind, but it did stall the Orions enough to allow her to choke a few of them with her vines, so she was grateful nonetheless. However, the Orion's were coming at them again, and she found herself relying less on strategy and more on blindly flinging seeds among her enemies and blocking blows one-handed using her quarterstaff. She nearly had the arm strength to pull that off, but it wasn't enough. It wasn't anywhere near enough.

She had just flung another group of seeds among the Orions and was watching them grow into bean vines when an Orion Knight swung at her with the full force of a two-handed sword strike. She brought the staff up to defend herself, but the sheer force of the impact knocked her back. She landed on her back in the middle of one of the sand pits and barely managed to roll out of the way in time to avoid another sword strike from cleaving her in two. As it was, the sword sliced through the side of her garments and cut her side. An agonized scream tore itself free from her lips as the full heat of the fire hit her skin. Her skin began to burn agonizingly, and she barely managed to keep herself rolling until she was out of the way of the Orion that had been attacking her. As she rolled, she spotted Selia doing the same thing, and one thought crossed her mind.

There's no way this ends well for us. We're both crippled, and the other Acerbii are nowhere near enough to help us. Hell, they were probably smart enough to find a way out.

Though, there is somebody else near...

Suddenly, she had an idea. It was a long shot, but it was the only chance they had of living.

And so, she diverted all of her energy to the seeds and plants nearby, took as deep a breath as she could, and began to pull on them. She moved them rapidly closer, surrounding her and Selia. She even rooted them in the sand for good measure. Once they were in position, she poured her being into the plants, feeding them with her own strength. They began to shoot up, creating a temporary wall that would hold just long enough for what she had in mind. Once she had it at a good height and thickness, just so that it would take the Orions a few moments to cut through, she stopped. She had just enough strength left to scream six desperate, angry words before she collapsed into an exhausted heap.

"TEL'NAIRE, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!?"

• Love
Reactions: Jakers and Joan
Status
Not open for further replies.