Lovely Made

Shen climbed into the passenger seat; he turned up a corner of his mouth and tilted his head to think. "I'm not really familiar with places yet, but I do feel like some waffles...?" He noticed Kia checking her phone. She must've been really busy. He must be keeping her from a good bit of work this morning.

Kia pulled out of the driveway "Johns it is". Kia was a pretty good driver considering the little bit of rode rage she had at times."How did you sleep last night" Kia asked.

Shen shrugged. "Pretty well, actually. My research has been going well and I only have to wait for the data from the laboratory in Sweden to support my findings. How about you? You seem pretty busy."

"Yeah i am like always but im a pretty good at doing multiple things..like now where hanging out and im working" This was Kia's fist time showing someone a good time. She even had a big proposal for him but that would come later on. "So what are you researching"

Shen smiled. They had more in common than he first thought. "Well, my research mostly involves particle physics and it requires the cooperation of several laboratories with synchronized equipment. Some, however, require a bit more clearance to impart their data to the other scientists. Trying to track neutrinos to Russia is easy; trying to get them to tell us within a month is a nightmare!" He chuckled, then spoke more seriously. "Sometimes, I wish I could just take a break and stay in one place, you know? Especially in a place where I meet such pleasant people." He smiled at Kia.

Kia looked at Shen "was that even English you were just speaking" Kia smirked. "So what do you do for fun when your not researching"

Shen didn't really expect her to understand. Not a lot of people had his level of expertise. He pondered her question as he took in the sights from his window. "A whole bunch of things. But mostly I play the violin or program my computer to do random things. Sometimes I find a lovely lady with a pleasant smile to talk to." He glanced at her at that, hoping it didn't sound like he did it often. He really only talked to his students.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kia thought Shen was being sweet but she didn't want to have another moment like last night. She thought this would be a good time to mention it. If she didn't now doing the activities of the day she wouldn't have a chance. "Do you remember last night when I had told you about...you know....the whole love thing". Kia finally arrived to the place and parking the car. She then looked at Shen "forget what ever I told you ok". Kia got out the car. She hated she had to handle Shen that way but it had to happen she just didn't want to come off as vulnerable. "Well we're here... Johns a cafe for the best waffles in town" . Johns was very swanky for a cafe. He only used top ingredients in his food. That was the explanation for the prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shen was puzzled when Kia mentioned that part of their conversation last night. Does that mean she's not interested? He decided to shrug it off for now and deal with consequences later. He got down from the car and fell in step with Kia. "This looks really fancy! There's nothing lacking about taste, that's for sure! Shall we?"

Kia checked her phone "Yeah lets go". Kia walked inside and got a table by a window. It was nice outside and a cup of coffee sounded good. The people in the cafe were nice sight to see. Laughing and having a good time.

Shen took a seat across from Kia. A waiter with a white napkin folded over his forearm handed them two intentionally rustic-looking menus, which he looked over. There was a whole section dedicated to pancakes and waffles, which were set beside a description of the food as well as their prices. Well, I guess the ambiance has to cost something... "What would you recommend, Kia?"

"I really dont know about the waffles and pancakes but the coffee is good" Kia laughed "I heard the trailmix was good". Kia opened her menu. Kia couldnt remeber the last time she actually sat down and ate a balanced breakfast. Everything looked good "Umm i think i'll have a..ummmm.mmmm..Kitchen sink pancake"

Shen checked the menu again. After a minute of contemplation which he spent in what he hoped wasn't an awkward silence, he decided to order. He motioned to another waiter who passed by. He was tall and fit and had a pleasant face. On his name tag was written "Ken". When he saw Shen motion for him, he turned on his heel with practiced grace and said with a bright smile unbecoming of the typical snobby maitre d', "May I take your order, sir? Madam?"

Shen turned to him. "Yes, uhh- Ken. We'll have two coffees, a chocolate chip waffle with a side of vanilla and strawberry gelato for me, and a kitchen sink pancake for my company."

~~~~~ ((<<this means change in POV I guess))

Kelvin took down the young man's order. This customer was young, practically adolescent, with a smooth face, a smug mouth, and eyes that could read your mind. His companion, however, was a lot more interesting. She had a lovely face and the aura of a woman who knew what she was doing.

"Right, so that's two of the house brew, a chocolate chip waffle with vanilla and strawberry gelato on the side, and a kitchen sink pancake. Will there be anything else?" He addressed this to the lady with a friendly grin and a tilt of his head. From the corner of his eye he distinctly saw the young man's eyes narrow.

Kia smiled "No thank you...Ken...how about you Shen? Anything else" Kia knew what The waiter was doing and she didnt have time and Shen looked like he knew too. Ken was handsome and a bad boy way kind of like a mordern James Den to Kia.

Shen appreciated Kia's swift dismissal of Ken's approach. "I'm quite alright, thanks." He turned to Ken a knowing look. "That'll be all."

~~~~~

Kelvin mentally shrugged off the brush off. He nodded with a smile. "I'll serve the coffee right away. Please wait for ten minutes while your food is freshly made with John's finest ingredients." The last line was a formality all servers said after an order. One of John's little peculiarities. He put up with it because everything else about working here was pretty cool. He turned to the window and rung up their orders.

~~~~~

Shen picked up the small napkin on his plate and spread it out on his lap. "Seems like a wonderful place. The service could use some more training though..."

Kia laughed. Seeing Shen like that made her laugh "He was cute you know" Kia looked at Shen teasing him.Kia thought Shen was cute too. She had been hit on a lot to the point now that it just made her laugh. She could tell shen didnt like it very much

Shen could tell she was enjoying herself. Whether it was from Ken's attentions or from his own displays of defensiveness, he couldn't tell. Whichever it is, it wasn't the optimal situation. "Oh, he definitely seemed friendly." He gave her a look that said a little too friendly, if you ask me... And hoped to end it at that.
By now the tall, strapping waiter was back with a silver tray with two steaming cups on it.

~~~~~

Kelvin placed the first cup in front of the girl. "Your coffee, miss." Then he placed Shen's with a flourish and put on his sweetest, cheeriest grin. "And yours, my good sir!" He didn't know whether the boy's raised eyebrow was exactly the reaction he was looking for, but his aloof, almost amused "Thank you." definitely wasn't.

"Your pancakes and waffles will be in order shortly." He then turned to serve a table with three new customers in suits, once again wearing a warm half-smile.

Kia took her cup and a spoon. She added sugar and creme "I think he likes you" She smirked. This was fun and she could tell Shen neededbto just relax a little. Kia blew her coffee

Shen plopped four sugar cubes in to the cup in front of him. He laughed. "Well, I guess he just couldn't resist my charms." He took the little teaspoon and played with the reflection on the curved metal. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see Ken's back, swaying animatedly as he chatted up the three suits. "How did you hear about this place anyway?"

~~~~~

Kelvin took down the new set of orders on his little notepad. "Two lava cakes for you two and a banana split for this gentleman. One iced latte, an iced tea, and a double espresso. Will that be all?"
"Yes, I think it will," said the bespectacled suit who seemed to be running it all. He exuded an aura of leadership and stability. "Thank you."

He just rang up the order when one of the chefs rang the bell to signal a ready order. "Table four!"
Ken made sure he was the first to reach the counter and place the dishes on his silver tray. "Thanks, Pete. I got this."

Kia took out her phone and scrolled through the texts "well i was in the hospital for like a week one time and everyone knows that the food they give you has no flavor at all..so the day i got out i was craving a lot of diffrent stuff. So i came to closes place at the time and it was here. I ordered breakfast, lunch, and dinner" Kia laughed