Love....with a Price [Red/Redblood]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesse was thankful for Richard's useful insight into the world of the wealthy and privileged. It was something beyond the myths perpetuated by the peons in the Wasserman farm. Rich life wasn't all fun and games and like the life of the poor, it had its risks of being fooled out of your money as well. Jesse had a lot to learn, but at least his friendship with Richard was that one pillar of hope he could lean on to navigate such uncertain waters. Jesse gives off an entertained smirk and inched his head down, then speaking "I really crave a family to care for, Richard. Call me old fashioned for my age...heh, but I am being serious here." He nods "If I find a woman that I fancy, I intend to make her my wife when I could." He said with such certainty.

Because he grew up nearly alone, he had always craved that feeling only a family could bring. Jesse had hopes to have children to teach. Little children to comfort when they were scared, to teach how to ride horses, to protect. And a woman who shared his views of making sure everyone was happy and cared for. Including peons. His main worry was if a rich woman of his stature would share this with him.

Richard laughed. "Old fashioned? You sound like every rich man I've ever met. The reason may vary, but every single one of them gets married far too early and forget to have fun, but if that's what you want, who am I to stop you. There's actually going to be quite the gathering tonight. If you have time, I can get you in. It would be good for you to officially claim your family name in public. Just the sight of a Wasserman will leave quite an impression with people. Maybe you can find a woman you fancy there, and if not they might eventually introduce you to new people until you find someone interesting."

A gathering? This would be the first time Jesse would be able to attend a gather of the biggest socialites around. In fact, the thought of it intrigued it, despite being a completely new and unfamiliar situation to him. If he was to survive this new life, he must play by their rules. That means to attend the gathering. Jesse gives a curt nod as he pats his lap a little, thinking over the idea. "Hrmm..actually, I would appreciate it if you can get me into that." he says. He might not know much about social gatherings, but they weren't hard were they? All he needed to do is repeat his name, shake hands, and laugh at unfunny jokes. Good enough. When Richard mentions the possibility of meeting a good woman there, Jesse smiles a little. "You will have to help me be presentable for everyone, especially the women." he jokes.

"You are looking at the most charming playboy in the country. Once I'm done with you, people will think we're brothers. Me being the tad bit more good looking one of course." Richard smirked playfully. "The first part of making you presentable is your clothes, from there I can explain some unspoken rules of high society. Some of it you might recognize from what you've seen people do around your ma... father, but others are easily missed or you might not have been in the right places to have been able to notice them. Don't worry too much, if you miss a cue you can always make up for it with a compliment, but try remembering as much as possible."

Considering how little time they had, Richard decided to let Jesse borrow some of his clothes instead of going down into town to buy new ones. The more high class clothes were mainly made on request either way and would take weeks to get done, so Richard's clothes were the best they could get in that situation. The blond man's body was a bit taller and bigger than the other man's so his current clothes wouldn't be a good match, but he did have some older clothes that probably would be a good fit, and right he was. It was good his family had a habit of forgetting to get rid of old unused things, otherwise they would have been in trouble.

"Here, try this one. It's quite a few years old, but it still looks brand new. Only used twice. If it fits, the servants can make sure it gets cleaned by tonight." Richard took out a quite good looking set of clothes, black pants, brown waistcoat, a white long armed shirt to have under the waistcoat and a necktie once again in black. A butler was in the room with them, ready to help the man if he needed help with anything, be it tying the neck tie or buttoning the waistcoat.

While Jesse was made to try a few clothes, Richard explained a few of the etiquette rules he had to remember as they could differ greatly between servant a noble. Even the task of bowing ones head had rules to it. It was quite ridiculous, but that was how it was.

Jesse gives off a tilt of his head and a smirk, seemingly entertained by Richard's personality and his claim to be the better looking one out of the two. Though Jesse wasn't too bad looking either. Black hair accompanied with deep navy blue eyes, chiseled face, and great upper body physique due to working in the farm his entire life. To any rich girl, he was that fantasy poor man they always wanted. The manly stereotype who camped in the woods, cut wood, and went horseback riding. Jesse knew all those things were fetishes rather than things women of this social class really enjoyed, therefore he resolved to at least hide that part of him until someone came along that could accept him and his past for what it is and how crude it can be.

With every intention of learning, Jesse paid much attention to Richard's advice, nodding quietly every time he spoke. This was a fascinating set of rules. But was Richard sure he could make Jesse into a gentleman by tonight? He had his little doubts but decided to take a leap of faith anyway. Jesse tried on the clothes and looked in the mirror, seemingly satisfied with how the old suit suited his broad shoulders. "This will do." Jesse says with a smile. While he was taking off the clothing for the servants to give it a final wash before tonight, Jesse asked. "Who will be in this gathering? Anyone my father would have known? I think I must uphold those friendships for the sake of the farm and company."

"If I knew I would tell you. My father was probably more versed in your father's business partners than I am, so if you don't know how to bring people back from the dead, I'm afraid there's no helping you there." Richard paused for a moment, seemingly remembering something.

"Though now that I think about it, your father did own a lot of paintings from the same man my father bought paintings from. I recognized the signature when we played around in the corridors. Some rich famous painter named Christopher Clifford. I haven't heard much from him for a few years now, he has apparently become too sick to work. His daughter were in the news recently though, apparently she was engaged to the mayor's son. That didn't last long, it was broken off yesterday. I doubt Clifford himself will show up at the party because of his current condition, but if you get friendly with his daughter, he might feel like telling you about your fathers other business partners. Painters get famous because people tell their closest friends and partners about them, Clifford will definitely have gone through every person your father has ever worked with."

Was his suggestion manipulative? Yes. But then again, it was hard to make it in this world without being a bit manipulative, and it wasn't like he was suggesting Jesse to try and woo the girl off her feet. All he had to do was to give her a good first impression and get on friendly terms with her so that she would feel comfortable inviting him into her house and introduce her father to him.

"A painter, hm?" The interest in Jesse's eyes grow considerably as the memories of those paintings from his childhood came back like a wave hitting upon the beach. Such imagination and manipulation of what reality was in those paintings were things that Jesse enjoyed the most. Though he wasn't well versed in the arts. His attention hangs at Richard's suggestion about befriending Christopher's daughter, to which he tilts his head once he mentions that she broke an engagement with someone a day prior. "Now I'm not one to take advantage of someone's broken engagement..." Jesse says with uncertainty, but doesn't seem too closed to the idea at all. "Though you do have a point. If I want to know more about my father's business partners, Mr. Clifford is my closest bet-- Uhm, his daughter, rather. I'll speak to her. You just have to point out who she is."

Richard chuckled. "I doubt you'll miss her even without my help. A broken engagement will be the talk of the town for a week forward. Those two will have all eyes on them all night long. Heed my advice, pretend you haven't heard about the engagement being broken and then act as if you believe it was his fault if she tells you about it." He advised his friend. "Not knowing about it will make her feel like not everyone are keeping track of every step she takes, and if she opens up enough to tell you about it, she'll not be interested in hearing any blaming words, no matter how small. Everyone wants to hear that it's the other person's fault."

The blond man was quite a social person. He was also a good observer of people. It gave him a good knowledge of what to do when interacting with people, at least when it came to people in general. He had never really met this woman, so maybe she wouldn't react as he thought she would, but few people went from the norm, so he wasn't too worried about it.

They used the rest of the day to prepare Jesse for the evening, while taking an occasional and of course mandatory tea break. Eventually the evening came and they arrived at the gathering. They were far from the first ones there, but still only half of those one would expect to see had arrived. "How are you feeling? Nervous?" Richard wouldn't expect anything less for Jesse's first meeting with the high society outside of his own father.

"Why do I have to go?" Charlotte muttered as the carriage started to get closer to the mansion. "It will be weird being around everyone so soon after that article yesterday. They even wrote another one today. Everyone will be too busy talking about me to even want to talk to me." She complained. The article this morning had put forth a few theories to what might have happened. One theory had spoken about him having had a love affair with another woman. Lucky they hadn't gone that route for her. One of the theories on her had been that she had planned to kill him once they got married just so she could get his fortune all to herself. The theory had continued stating that he had found out but had decided not to put it out there because he felt sorry for her. Neither him nor Charlotte had spoken to any reporter so far, but who knew what would happen. Maybe she'd see an official statement from him soon.

"The fact that you are the talk of the town is the very reason I'm taking you, Charlotte." her mother said while fanning herself despite the cold chill of the night. She had a beautiful scarlet gown on with a tilted red hat adorned with feathers and a Shaw. To anyone who wasn't familiar with this woman, they would think she is a single bachlorette by her looks and class alone. She continues speaking, then patting her daughter's head. "You will set the fact straight. Don't you want that?" She said with a manipulative smile. "Just tell them he was unreasonable and that you could do so much better."

----
Tonight was the night.

Jesse spent the entire afternoon prepping for his first social outing. And this one had him slightly nervous despite Richard's encouraging advice and insight upon the life of a socialite. Sporting a black coat, tan dress pants, and a red shirt covered with a tan vest, Jesse flipped on his tall hat to his head and looked out the carriage. The venue was a bit far from the summer home Jesse had inherited, to which he traveled back to so that he could eat and get dressed. Jesse gave out a nervous sigh, then felt the carriage stop. "I can do this...I'll have a good time and complete my duty, too..." he reassures himself like a mantra. Upon the opening of his carriage door by a servant, he stepped out slowly and stood up straight. Various people barely walking to the front door of the party home slowed down or even stopped to stare at Jesse and whisper. He looked like Hanz Wasserman. He had that robust figure and chiseled face. Jesse looked assertive and nonchalant all the same, which was some of the best advice he had gotten all day to use. The servant announces Jesse's presence.

"Presenting the arrival of Jesse V. Wasserman."

"Do better than the mayor's son?" Charlotte questioned her mother. Sure, she thought she was already doing better, but her mother would probably not agree that her daughter's choice was the best she could ever get. Everyone would think she was too full of herself if she said what her mother wanted her to say... Though that was probably good. Who wanted a girl who never was satisfied? Maybe she could use it in her advantage.

"If you think that's the best I can do, I guess I'll just have to try it." Charlotte then said, as if she couldn't come up with a better solution anyways and just went with whatever she was told. When was the last time she had actually agreed with her mother? Too long ago for her to remember.

---

Under normal circumstances, Richard would have been gone from the party two minutes after it started, most likely with a naive girl who wanted some fun before their parent, brother, fiance or husband noticed their absence. Marriage without love and strict parenting usually made women want to experiment a bit more, and Richard was the one who enjoyed entertaining their needs as well as his own. This time though, he needed to keep an eye on another experiment so that wouldn't explode. With all the eyes pointed at Mr. Wasserman, Richard was certain the attention would be tough on the poor former servant boy.

"Richard, long time no seen. I've missed you so much. Do you want to take a walk outside for a few minutes?" Some random woman asked, almost sounding innocent, but her intentions shone through. He had probably been with her before, but at this point he didn't even care to remember their names.

"I'm sorry, but I can't leave my date alone tonight. He'll suffocate if I'm not at his side at all times." Richard winked at the girl before looking towards Jesse whom suddenly was surrounded by men and women whom tried to figure out what was going on with this sudden appearance.

"Is he truly a Wasserman? That old man didn't have any children, did he?" The woman asked, holding a firm grip on Richard's arm. Richard just chuckled and finally took his arm back.

"Who knows. Either way, this makes things more interesting, right? Something needed to happen to stir this dead town up." He said while walking towards Jesse. "Hey hey hey, maybe you should try to not talk into each others mouths. Mr. Wasserman won't hear a word you're saying that way. I'll still my comrade back for a moment now, if you excuse us." And with those words, he dragged Jesse out of the crowd and kept walking until they were in a relatively empty spot.

"I hope I didn't destroy your fun, but you looked a bit squished in there. You oka.." A voice interrupted him. A servant announced the arrival of Charlotte and her mother. The light blue dress the girl was wearing, lightly brushed the ground as she walked forward. She had refused any silly feather decorated hats or other items that were in fashion now, but her hair was put up in a bun that was held in place with a silver ornament and a wavy lock of hair fell down from it and onto her chest. "Aaw, are you sure you want her, because I'm getting quite tempted here." Richard grinned.

As soon as he was announced, it was like an open hunting season. Swarms of socialites of various families went to Jesse with their questions, and like his father's burial before, the questions were the same: Are you really his son? He couldn't say "unfortunately I am" due to that sort of downtalk being taboo for his time, though with every answer he had to give, his face grew more sour. Not many knew Jesse, but those who had a close relationship with him knew that Jesse had a short fuse behind that awkward yet honorable demenor. Perhaps that's probably the only personality trait he's ever inherited from his father. Jesse could feel his eye twitch a little with the repetitive questions, nearly about to sound off on the curious people, asking them why they'd care to know, but then Richard pulled him out of the fray upon the first signs of Jesse reaching his boiling point. Jesse sighs and holds the bridge of his nose with irritation. "That wasn't fun at all...I felt like punching at least three of them..." he says, already sounding physically tired.

Charlotte's mother, Andrea, walked closer to the entrance of the party with the expectation of at least a couple of people inquiring what happened to her daughter's engagement to the mayor's son. Though to her surprise, absolutely nobody dared to approach them. Instead, she saw most of Noonvale's gossipy bunch just following a young man like flies on a pie. Andrea rose a brow almost skeptically until she heard someone mutter "Oh my lord, Hanz Wasserman had a son....!"

Andrea's blood ran cold. She stuck her piercing green gaze at this son of Hanz and observed him from afar, nearly slowing down in order to take in his features. It was almost..uncanny. This young man had the same gaze as Hanz but with a different feeling to them. He was tall like Hanz, but bulkier. Andrea stopped as she reached Jesse, who blinks and turns around once Richard points out who arrived. It felt like Jesse's world stopped for a moment as his eyes caught onto his supposed "Target" that Richard suggested. "..Nah.." Jesse whispers, but then gives Richard an irritated look. "Now hold it there, Richard." he whispers after Richard's comments. Jesse can't help but stare at Charlotte a little longer. "Have some dignity."

Andrea spoke, though she felt something was off about Jesse. "My, my my my..." Andrea smirks. "I thought I've seen it all in Noonvale, but apparently Hanz had you pretty well hidden from the gossip of this town, hasn't he?" Andrea puts out her hand gracefully. "I'm Andrea Fuentes of Clifford, wife of Christopher Clifford..."

There is a brief second that Andrea takes the time to think. She then looks at Charlotte and smiles. "And this is my beautiful princess, Charlotte Clifford."

Jesse, not really thinking straight, just shakes Andrea's hand mindlessly and then looks at Charlotte. Normally a rich man would kiss the woman's hand, but that odd custom completely flies over his thoughts as his more...peon-like mindset kicked in. Though when he spoke, his voice was assertive and sure of himself. "Charlotte...a nice name. Very fitting unlike my name." he chuckles a little, then puts out his hand. "I'm Jesse Valen Wasserman."

"Dignity? I can get that when I'm old and don't have any fun bones left in my body." Richard joked. Either way, there was no way he would go for Charlotte Clifford. It was clear just from the news that she wasn't an easy catch and Richard preferred those who just came to him on their own. Chasing girls was only fun for so long. Of course the young man made sure to seem presentable as the two ladies approached them. He didn't leave of course. Jesse was already fumbling with his manners, he would never survive if Richard left now.

Charlotte had been quite surprised when nobody payed attention to her nor the mayor's son. Though the son of the mayor did give her a few glances while trying to hide his annoyance. He was probably waiting for an apology. Tough luck, he wouldn't get one in public. That would prove to everyone that it was her fault, and that did not seem to be in her mother's best interest, and Charlotte didn't wish to apologize in the slightest.

Now they were facing a man whom claimed to be the son of one of her father's best customers. Charlotte had never met the man himself so she could not tell if he looked like him or not. He wasn't that graceful though and seemed to forget quite easily how to behave at these sorts of gatherings. If only she could be that carefree, but if she did such things in front of her mother there would be hell to pay later.

"Pleasure." She says shortly as she took his hand, trying to figure out if her mother had some motives with this sudden introduction. Maybe she was overthinking it. She was probably just as curious as everyone else and wished to know what kind of man he was. Simple as that. "I don't think I can agree with you though. Jesse's a quite unique name, and you seem to be quite an unique person. I would say it fits you perfectly." She smiled. He was indeed quite unique considering his surroundings and the name wasn't used that much in their social class.

Not forgetting his etiquette so easily now that Richard was within reach, Jesse kissed Charlotte's hand softly and then pulled away, clearly calmed by how she didn't react to his fail from earlier. He can feel the stares of the people on him, but more importantly the stare coming from Andrea's intense green eyes. Could she and Charlotte be related, though? They both seemed different. Their expressions were different and even the look in their eyes weren't the same. Jesse stood up straight, keeping his eyes on Charlotte as he observed her with fascination, though he was then pulled back to reality by Andrea. It seemed (unknown to the oblivious Jesse) that Andrea was picking up on Jesse's change of mood once Charlotte arrived. She gives a wry smile. "I know you must be thinking by the way you're looking at my princess...that she is the talk of the town due to her broken engagement. But let me assure you that she did the right thing." Jesse tilts his head slightly in confusion. "Right thing? Oh no, no...I wasn't thinking about that-- I...I.."

Andrea cuts in. "Heheh. Don't be coy. No shame in admitting. But my daughter left that good for nothing for someone better. Someone of our better class. Someone powerful, well off in life, successful."

Jesse frowns a little when Andrea mentions those qualities as if Charlotte has already found that someone. As if Jesse weren't those things. He feels slightly disappointed but is quiet about it. "Sounds like she found that very man, then." Jesse says. Andrea nods. "I'm afraid not. Not everyone is qualified to...handle my daughter."

"Mrs. Clifford! Ah! Glad you came! Come here and look at what we got you!" said some guests, pulling Andrea's attention away from the conversation. Andrea gives a mysterious look at Jesse, almost as if she were wordlessly saying "We'll talk again soon" and excused herself. "Ah, excuse me for a moment...have fun, Mr. Wasserman." Andrea winks, then leans close to Jesse to whisper in his ear. "Your etiquette can use some work..."

Jesse narrowed his eyes for a moment and held his chin with his fingers in thought. He then looks up at Charlotte and gulps a little. "Is your dear mother always like this..?" He asks. "She painted you in such an unfavorable light. I'm sorry." he says sincerely.

Charlotte wished she could just die. What was her mother thinking? It was just embarrassing at this point. Did she really have to mention the engagement when everyone seemed to have forgotten about it? On top of that, she called her hard to handle. Wasn't she hoping to marry her daughter away? This didn't seem like the smartest move. Though on the other hand, she doubted her mother would wish to marry her away to someone whom forgot his manners so easily. Oh well, as long as she didn't try to pair them up, why even complain about it.

Once Andrea finally left, Charlotte breathed out. "Mother's quite... Intense sometimes. Today more than ever. I apologize, she said far too many unnecessary things." Charlotte apologized, even though she had missed the most unnecessary of them all about his etiquette. "She should have been more considerate. I'm certain you've already dealt with quite a lot of unnecessary questions and rumors tonight and seeing as they won't stop for a few weeks at least, it definitely wasn't the time to act like that." Contrary to what one would believe after the recent news, Charlotte definitely didn't have anything against being nice or polite towards a man, it was just the ones her mother told her to marry she refused to accept.

Richard had slowly started to back into the crowd, smiling as he left Jesse alone with the girl. Was there some ulterior motives in it? Maybe. The way Jesse had acted around her, he guessed something was stirring within that family obsessed man. Could as well give them some space to figure it out.

"You're quite different from the others here... It's a good different of course. We just don't see many of your rank so... rough in the edges I suppose one could say. Did you perhaps grow up in the country side? I've heard some people send their children there to be raised by others and they sometimes pick up on the mannerism from the people living close by. Oh, I'm sorry, now I'm the one asking annoying questions. You don't have to answer if it's a sensitive subject." Wow, it was harder than she had thought to actually not ask questions when you were curious. Maybe she understood those rich idiots a bit more than she wanted to.

"I know exactly what you mean with the unnecessary attention and questions.." Jesse said with a notable, tired sigh. He looks around to see whether or not anyone was watching so that he can at least slack a little. Well, his instincts were telling him to slack, but he knew that in front of a pretty girl like Charlotte, he had to act big and powerful. Nobody would want an angry and whinny little boy. He crosses his arms and nods. "Nobody seems to catch on that I dislike speaking about my father."

The party around them was rather crowded ever since word went out that Charlotte Clifford was to be there. People who weren't friends with Andrea had to be left guessing as to why Charlotte broke her engagement with the mayor's son. So once a gathering of this nature were to present itself, it was a golden opportunity for nosy citizens of Noonvale to gather and investigate what truly went on. Jesse's presence was a sort of bonus to them. He was such an enigmatic young man at best. His history shrouded in complete mystery. He was a man of few words and seemed very solid as a man-- so to say that he didn't mind holding his ground or speaking to strangers to strike a deal. Though Jesse had all the power now, in front of Charlotte....he felt...

Not enough for her.

Jesse gives off a brief look of anxiety as Charlotte mentions-- or rather asks, if he was raised in the farmlands. Was it that obvious? She might laugh at him since farm people were often looked down upon. He thought that a woman like her would never mingle with a peon. Even if he was formerly that. Jesse decides to distort the truth. "Yes, my father left me to be raised in our farmlands just outside of Noonvale. This mountainside makes me a little uncomfortable, therefore that is the reason why I'm forgetting basic etiquette tonight, heheheh.." He says with a forced laugh while keeping an eye on Charlotte. It was best he explained every fault he had to deter her from rejecting him. They needed to at least be friends, right? For some reason Jesse couldn't bear imagining himself never seeing Charlotte again. He needed to learn more about her.

So that was the reason after all. "It must have been nice, growing up out on the country side. Not as many nosy people I'd imagine." Charlotte smiled at him. From what she had heard, it sounded like a wonderful way of being brought up. Just a child, a few servants, a house or a mansion, and further down a little village where no one truly knows who you are, just that you are a child living near by. No one's really rich, but probably not poor either. Just every day people who doesn't care about the rules of the higher class.

"Mother would never let me go to the country side, I think it might have to do with her hate for everyone bellow the rank of mayor or ridiculously rich. Not many of those out there. The furthest I ever get is the forest in the outskirt of Noonvale, and mother would kill me if she knew I had ventured out that far on my own." She was definitely chattier than usual, considering what kind of party she were attending. But it didn't feel that bad to talk about such things with this man. He seemed rather nice, her mother definitely wouldn't wish for her to marry him considering his etiquette flaws, and she doubted he would care if she dropped the act society craved her to always put on. It was quite refreshing to be able to just talk with someone other than her secret boyfriend like this.

Charlotte noticed a group of people consisting of a few men she didn't know and a few women, two of whom she did know, all of them staring at the two, looking as if they intended to walk over there to solve a great mystery, or two. "Mr Wasserman, would you mind accompanying me outside for a few minutes? I'm afraid people will eat us very soon if we stay here." The evening darkness and the size of the garden would hide them well from anyone trying to find them. Quite frankly, she just wanted a break from everyone there and from what she had heard, he needed one as well.

Jesse smiles fondly once the topic of the farmlands came up. Though riddled with the poor, it was a place of rich spirituality and peace. Humans weren't ever meant to commingle within an industrial environment, but to roam free within the tall grass and rest under the apple trees. Jesse nods and backs up Charlotte's claim of the farmlands being a better place to live indeed. "I wouldn't say anything about no nosy people living in the countryside. There's a whole different breed of nosy and gossip in those parts. " Jesse chuckles. "Though if it's any consolation, the gossip is usually never about trivial things such as money or status. More-so along the lines of one's character, rather."

As he spoke, he too could sense the stares of people intensifying. It seemed like some people were starting to get bold and walk towards Jesse. He tenses up ever so slightly, but he is quickly ripped from that and placed into an awkward situation. Go outside? With her? Jesse almost felt a pressure in his chest like a horse was sitting on it. He blinked and nodded "Whatever you wish." he says curtly, then giving Richard a glance at a distance as if wordlessly saying "I didn't expect this!"

Once they were outside, Jesse turned his back at the doors and windows containing the guests and placed himself in front of Charlotte as to hide her from any gossipy eyes. Like a true gentleman-- at least that much was similar between the rich folk and the peons: being a gentleman. Jesse cocks his head inquisitively at Charlotte soon after. "You're not comfortable here at this party, are you?" He blinks with those icy blue eyes of his, noting her uncomfortable expression and softly asking. "Tell me, what's the matter?..."

When Richard's eyes met Jesse's, he understood that something good must have happened. He grinned and motioned 'good luck prince charming' with his mouth. It seemed to go well for his friend, which meant he just had to distract a few people so they didn't follow them and then he would be free to go mingle with the girls until Jesse came back inside.

Once outside, Charlotte finally felt as if she could breathe again. The evening air, even though it was slightly cold, was nice and refreshing. The question came as quite a surprise. Even if one noticed the discomfort of a person, it was rare that they mentioned it more than with a 'are you alright', to which the reply always was 'I'm fine' even if it was a lie. After that, no one really questioned it.

"A better question probably is what isn't wrong. Father is horribly sick and our savings are disappearing rapidly. Soon there will be no more paintings to sell as he can't make new ones and mother is trying to pressure me into marriage because of it." Charlotte took a deep breath. It was quite nice getting that off her chest. The only thing she didn't mention was that she actually was in love with someone else. That was something that couldn't be spread around. If it were to come out that she was in love with a poor man... Not that she distrusted Mr. Wasserman, but it was often unintentional slip ups that made rumors going.

"I just... Wish she could see that money shouldn't be the reason for marriage. If we loose all our money, we'll just have to make it some other way. It's ridiculous how she tries to control my whole life. If she is so interested in money, she can just divorce father and run off with someone else. Why involve me?"

The fact that she openly told Jesse about her money problems showed him a sense of growing trust between them. He really felt tempted to give her a consolation hug and tell her it's alright, that fortune may soon smile upon her. But of course, one can never be too trusting with strangers, right? However, this begged the question. Was she really a stranger now? Charlotte was showing her true colors to Jesse. Opening up her heart to him. It seemed like she was frustrated with the high socialite life she had. Frankly, he didn't expect her to be so distraught.

Although they were both outside, a large window or two covering the main party room could give someone interested enough a good view of the two from afar. After speaking with those pesky gossipers, Andrea inched closer to one window while holding a wine cup and sipped it pensively. She noted Jesse's expressions, his gestures, his postures. The way he leaned close to Charlotte but far enough as to not make her uncomfortable. The way he paid attention to her. Andrea's lips slowly curved upwards into a smirk. A dark smirk. "...How curious.." she whispered.

Jesse frowned once Charlotte was done expressing her feelings for her mother. "I'm really sorry to hear that and about everything...I really am." He tilted his head and bit his lip for a moment in thought, going over his options. Suddenly, he hears footsteps coming his way. Andrea was gracefully walking towards him with a smile. For some reason, Jesse tensed as he half shielded Charlotte from her own mother protectively, but then backed off once Andrea ran her hand over his shoulder while balancing her wine cup. "Oh-ho, I see you're having a good time in this party, yes?"

"Yes." Jesse plainly answers, glancing over at Charlotte. Andrea asks with curiosity but more importantly, for info. "It looked like my daughter was upset? Oh..." Andrea sighs and pats her cheek. "Oh my...has she told you...of our miserable living situation? That we do not have a cent to spend anymore? Oh how embarrassing....I am so sorry, Mr. Wasserman...pardon me.."

"--You don't have to be sorry about anything!" Jesse cuts in firmly. Andrea raises a brow at his response. Jesse nods "A bad living situation is nothing to be ashamed of...!"

This man seemed so kind in a genuine way. It was quite refreshing. "Don't be. We should ha.." Charlotte stopped herself as she also heard the footsteps. When you speak of the devil, she of course have to appear. Charlotte looked down into the ground, not wishing for her mother to know of the things she had told him, but somehow she had already figured it out.

Surprised, she looked up at her mother again. What kind of game was she playing? "Mother, please. Our living situation is not that bad. I was just upset over... The rumors going around. That's all. Me and Mr. Wasserman were just giving each other advice on how to handle them since we're both going through the same thing right now." She explained, trying to sound as convincing as possible. Why did she have to come out now? Was she trying to push this nice man away because he couldn't conform properly to their society? Or did she have something else in mind. Either way, it was worrying that she seemed to take interest in this newcomer.

"Jesse, there you are." A voice could be heard and Richard walked towards them. "Mrs. Clifford. We haven't really spoken since me and my father came to pick up a few of your husbands paintings four years ago. You still look remarkably young for your age." He smiled and bowed politely. His sentence could certainly be taken for a compliment, but if one thought about it, as he did, one would realize he had just called her old in a very polite way. "Mr. Wasserman here is a childhood friend of mine and my new business partner. I believe you mentioned a few days ago that you were interested in purchasing some new Clifford paintings. Isn't that right Jesse?" He nudged his friend. "I bet he hasn't asked you yet, he has been too afraid to bring it up because he knows Mr. Clifford doesn't paint anymore, so I guess I'll just have to ask for him. You don't happen to have a few left that we could come and take a look at during the week? It would mean a lot to him. His father was a big collector of Mr. Clifford's work, and now it's a way for my dear friend to feel close to his deceased father."

They could either take the long route through the daughter, or take a slightly faster route through the mother. Richard had seen an opportunity and decided to take it. Hopefully she would buy the story Richard made up on the spot. Luckily he knew that Jesse's father had bought their paintings, so that would go towards the story's favor and realism.

Status
Not open for further replies.