Love is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selene gave a nod when he told her that she needed to say goodnight to the king. Of course, she should thought to do that. Why didn't she think of that? She gave her condolences for leaving early to the king with a curtsy and followed Kith down the corridors. This was really bring her down. She didn't expect him to exactly love her, but she had hoped that he would at least being willing to work with her. But from the sounds of it, she was going to get nothing from him. Even though he said it wasn't her fault, she felt like it was. She need to rest. Maybe write a letter. When they passed the courtyard, she thought that a walk through there once the party had calmed down might help. She didn't look up at Kith. He didn't seem like he wanted to have anything to do with her. So much for being hopeful.

When the two came to her room, she glanced up at him as he spoke, telling her about the plan for tomorrow. "Thank you. I shall see you then." she said, giving a small fake smile to him before heading into her room and closing the door behind her. She let out a sigh. This was bad. What was she going to do? Writing a letter might help her gather her thoughts. She didn't bring any of her own, so she asked one of the handmaids of the castle to get her ink, paper, an envelope, and a dish. The handmaid did what she was told and returned with all of the things she asked for. Selene quickly changed into some more comfortable sleepwear and sat down to write her letter.....

Dear Mother,

Please continue to watch over me and the twins as well as the kingdom. I hope you are doing well and that father isn't with you. If he is, please tell him to find a way to send word home. I met the man I am to marry today. He is an elf and is very hansom. Sadly, he does not really wish to marry me. It's for political gain and nothing more. It's kind of sad really. I always wanted to get married but I was hoping for someone that at least was willing. I really want to try to make it work but will it be worth it? Maybe, the next few days will change his mind? You said always make light of the situation, but what do you when there is only darkness?

Hope that your guidance will help me through.

Love your daughter,
Selene

She folded up her letter and placed it neatly in the envelope and prompt lit it on fire and placed it in the dish. This was something that a lot of people did in her kingdom. Many believed that the spirits of the past were the ones that gave them power. Selene would often write to her mother in times like these, looking for guidance. She blew out her candle she was writing by and went to bed....

Last edited by a moderator:
Kith was at least trying to be nice. He was just also very selfish. He didn't see why he should give himself to a marriage he didn't want. He wasn't going to hinder Selene, and he'd work with her in most capacities, but in the end he was going to do what he wanted to do. At least, thats what he thought.

Once he had deposited Selene at her room and said goodnight, he went off in search of one of his many lovers. He decided on Gwyin that nigh, one of the cook's helpers. She was soft and supple and knew how to make him feel better without him having to do much at all. He passed by the kitchens, asking for a a pastry. She knew to come to him if he asked for the cheese pastry, and that was what he asked for that night. Leaving the kitchens with the pastry, he nibbled on it as he went back to his own room. He left the door unlocked, taking off his boots and then throwing himself onto the bed. Putting his hands behind his head, he waited.

It wasn't long until Gwyin came to him. All she had to do was make up some excuse or another, and then sneak up to his room. She knew enough to lock the door behind her, and she also knew that once they were through she'd be paid more than enough to make up for the work she had skipped out on just to keep her quiet. It was good for both of them, and Gwyin was so willing to ease him.

Gwyin left his room in the early hours of the morning, sneaking back to her own place as Kith slept. He woke up in a timely manner the next morning, putting on clothes of silver and light green this time rather than blue. Really they only ever wore their countries colors when it was important to do so, and Kith had an extensive wardrobe with many, many colors. He liked to be flashy, and soon enough he was downstairs and at the breakfast table with his siblings. His hair was upbraided and worn lose today. That was how he liked to keep it most of the time anyway.

Selene work up the next morning feeling a bit heavy. She wasn't really sure if she wanted to try to get this thing to work. But she had too. What kind of queen gives up right away? She got up and got dressed slowly. Today she wore a very casual outfit in the colors of her kingdom. A long lavender skirt and a white ruffled, off the shoulder shirt with a black corset binding her bust and waist in. There were no jewels or crowns on her today. When she wore them, she often feared they would break. Instead her hair was down and pulled to the side in a small wavy ponytail. Since they were going to be out and about today, she figured that it would be okay to be a little less formal. Hopefully, the Karnals didn't mind it. After last night, she wasn't feeling very much like a princess so she wasn't going to change into something more formal unless she was asked too.

When she was ready, the handmaids lead her to breakfast. On her way, she worked herself up to get ready to face the family. 'Just smile and be nice. Don't let this get to you. You can do thing. Mother is watching.' she said to herself, taking in deep breaths and letting them out slowly. They arrived at breakfast shortly and she put on the big smile she could muster.

"Good morning, everyone! Sorry again for turning in early last night. All that traveling tired me out more then I realized." she said, giving a small curtsy in greeting....

Kendrick was at the head of the table with his wife. They both greeted her, followed by Kith and his sister. The two younger boys weren't at breakfast. Cervi usually went without completely, because he didn't like to get up early. Breakfast foe them was a come and go sort of thing. They found no sense in waiting around for others or a specific time even. Whenever you came, you could eat, and then leave whenever you wanted too. No one would be offended.

This was why Kendrick was nearly done with his food, and Tari had barely started on her's.

"I hope you slept well." Kith offered with a small smile. He certainly had, once he got around to actually sleeping. "Was your sleeping quarters to your satisfaction?" They had other rooms, and she need only say so yo switch to another.

"It was. Thank you. The handmaids took good care of me and I slept very well." she said, taking a seat at the table next to Kith. It was strange that everyone wasn't at the table. Granted, there was only three of them now, so if they didn't all show up around the same time, it didn't take long for all of them to get there. This made her worry a bit about Kith and how he would take to the Asayndra customs. Hopefully, he will be fine with it. "I hope you all slept well as well." she said.

(Sorry it's short, I am having a hard time thinking of what to say)

((Oh, its alright))

Kith nodded in satisfaction, as did Kendrick. There were few ways those boys were similar, but that action had been one of them. "So, after breakfast I can show you about the castle if you'd like." Kith offered. They had talked about it last night, after all, and Kith was quite happy to do so. It might be more awkward, with just the two of them together and without the cover of the court, but Kith would be happy to do so just the same. "Unless you had something else in mind?" They by no means had to do everything he said when he suggested it, and hopefully Serene knew that. Kith was very far from a controlling person. If Serene wanted to skip off and go do something on her own, Kith wouldn't mind it. For the most part, Kith was an independent person anyway. It was true that he loved to be social, and parties were something he enjoyed immensely, but when those things weren't happening and he wasn't feeling in the mood for a lover, Kith did very well at entertaining himself.

"I love a tour of the castle. I really have nothing I need to do expect get souvenirs for Estelle and Ashwind, but that can wait until the end of my visit. Until then I am all yours." she said with a smile. She wasn't sure what she would do by herself. She wanted to get to know the family but she really didn't know how to approach the subject. But she was hoping to spend some time alone with Kith. Maybe if she let him control time they spend together, she could learn more about how to get him to be more accepting of this marriage. She can play any role if it meant that this was going to work. Selene took a few drinks from her cup and picked at some fruit. Again, she was trying to show that she didn't eat a lot. She was still a little hungry from last night so maybe she may ask a handmaiden to sneak some food into her bedroom tonight. Selene wondered how bad it would be to do that. News of misbehaving royals move quickly in her castle. She wonder if it was the same for his.....

Kith smiled and nodded. Hearing the names Estelle and Ashwind reminded him that Selene had family back home, too. He ate as much as he wanted, not shy about it, but his eyes were mostly on his future wife rather than the food he was eating. "Estelle and Ashwind are your younger siblings, right?" He asked. He knew very little about her family or where she came from, but he did seem to recall that much. "They're twins, I think? How old are they?" He just went straight to the source with those types of things. If he wanted to know something he'd simply ask.

"What sorts of things are they interested in?" Tari spoke up from across the table. "There are many things here to bring back that a child might like..." Tari had mother fever, even with as young as she was. She did not have a husband yet, and she wouldn't even have sex out of wedlock. Most of the Karnal siblings were too proper for that, but Kith had money on Cervi that he'd end up similar to himself rather than his other siblings. Kith looked at Tari and then nodded, looking back at Selene again. Hopefully they weren't overburdening her with questions.

Finally, something she could talk about. She could talk about her siblings for days. She did practically raise them. Their mother died only a few weeks after they were born and their father was often too busy to take care of them. So, Selene was the one they spent most of their time with. They were almost like her own kids and she was extremely proud of them "Yes, they are twins. They are about to turn fourteen. Estelle is obsessed with flowers these days. She took up helping the gardener with the flower beds and they are growing better then ever. I was thinking some sort of hair pin or accessory that had a flower look to it. And then Ashwind loves the sea and boats. We don't lived near the sea, but we do have a lake and sometimes he likes to build little boats and sail them on there. He has gotten really good at it. I was hoping to bring him something like ship model or something." She could feel herself get over excited about talking about her siblings. She hoped it wasn't too weird that she was. They were her life after all.

Tari asked a question to Kendrick in elvish, and Kendrick responded back before looking at Selene again. "Sorry, the human numbers were confusing." He explained the sudden switch to elvish. Kith smiled a little.

"Not so much the numbers as the age. The concept of 14 years is easy to understand, but not so much what that means for a human. How developed, and such." He filled Selene in further. "At any rate, it will be easy to find anything nautical related here. We are very good at ship building. Finding a model, or blueprints, or anything else I think you'll find to be quite easy." He encouraged this. As for Estelle's flowers, he wasn't sure about that. They probably had accessories or something of that nature with flowers on them, but clearly Kith had never had the need to look for something like that.

"Twins are considered very lucky here." Kendrick added. "Its good fortune, that your family had twins." There was a murmur of agreement around the table from Kendrick's addition. Because of the longevity of an elvish life, nature had also decided to make it very hard for elves to bare children, so any duplicates were always considered a highest honor and a great blessing. There had only ever been one triplet set as far as the history books were concerned, and that was years and years ago now.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to come off confusing. I just assume.....I'm sorry." she said, her cheeks burning a little. She should have thought about that. She knew that elves lived longer but she completely didn't think that development happened differently. Was she going to have to worry about that with Kith's children? Oh, god, she was going to have to have his children. This thought caused her face to burn more, but she tried to eliminate it from her mind by talking about her siblings more.

"Well, I am very lucky to have them. They are the only family I have now and they have been so sweet and caring. And strong for such a young age. They really have started to grown to be young adults. Granted, they have a way to go before I think they will be ready to be adults but, they are getting there." she said, taking another drink.

Kith didn't think she had anything to be embarrassed about. Kendrick waved his hand a little to try and ease Selene's embarrassment too. "It's nothing to be sorry over." He responded. "Cultural differences, thats all." Nothing to get flustered over. Kith nodded as Selene went on about the twins. It appeared that this was a good topic to talk about with her. She enjoyed her siblings, and that was good. Family was important to the Karnals in general, and even Kith couldn't deny it.

Finishing his breakfast, Kith sat back some to wait for Selene, not sure if she was finished yet. "I look forward to meeting them." Kith said. Maybe he should bring them something too, but he didn't want to upstage Selene. Perhaps he'd talk with her about it later. "We can go whenever you're done, but don't rush. Theres no hurry." Kith had nothing to do besides show her around today, so there was no rush.

Selene finished her drink and continued to pick her fruit. She didn't want to keep him waiting, but she did want to eat so she wasn't starving all day. She trying to eat quickly but not too quick as to seem like she was trying to. Being a princess was hard. It was so simple for Estelle and Ashwind. Nothing was expected of them. They were young and had no responsibilities. She had to be gentle and polite. She would give anything to just to dig into this food and be on her way. But what would they think? They were all the living embodiment of grace. They would reject her for sure.

Once she was finished, she wiped her mouth and turned to Kith. "I am all yours." she said with a smile.

Kith smiled and got up. Kendrick did too, but that was just because he was finished around the same time. His wife stayed behind to talk to Tari. Kith took Selene's hand then, leading her out of the breakfast area to walk about the castle. "So..." Kith said, not really sure where to start. "What do you think the most important parts of the place you live are?" He knew some of the things he wanted to show her, but he wanted to make sure that he showed her the things she was interested in too. Was her and her country super religious? Would she want to see the worship trees? He already knew he'd show her the stables, but maybe she had no desire to see the library, or something else. He wasn't sure, and figure he'd just ask so that they both enjoyed it better.

Selene thought about it. "Hmmmm...well, I would love to see all of it eventually. But if I had to pick....." she said, starting to count off on her fingers, "The library, stables, the courtyard. It looked really nice yesterday, and if it doesn't seem too strange.....where you bury your dead? I know it's weird but it's actually a tradition in my kingdom that you greet the ancestors of the place when you visit somewhere." The dead were important to her people. When a person pasted, it was thought that they rejoined the earth as spirits. And these spirits were the ones that granted the power of magic to them. When someone pasted, families would set them up in shrines on their property where they would pray for protection and guidance. Out of respect, when you visited, you were to visit their shrine and thank them for let you in their home.

Now that last request was interesting. His eyebrows raised as he walked with her. The dead? Why would she want to visit that? Maybe she had a dark side to her. An interesting side to her. He licked his lips. "Well, we can cover all of those things, and then some." He agreed. "Eventually, we'll see it all." he added with a smile. He took her to the courtyard first, since it was closest. The library would be next, but he went through the grasses with her first. "Do you want to see the garden too, or just this bit?" It looked different in the sunlight. Less peaceful, but a lot more cheery.

The courtyard was wonderful. It reminded her of the courtyard at home. She would play with her siblings there. Fake sword fights and daring rescues. Ashwind would be the night, Estelle was the princess and Selene was the dragon. Being decent at light magic, illusions were no problem. She loved those days. These days it was pirates and navy. It was cute and she was sure that Ashwind would make a fine captain if he choose too.

"I would love to see the garden. Estelle would never forgive me if I skipped over it." she said with a smile.

Kith nodded. Right. Estelle. He took her towards the gardens then, smiling at her a little. Most of their flowers were different than the ones she came from. "Does she like particular kinds of flowers?" He asked. Their garden wasn't quite a garden just so much as a place where flowers grew however they wanted, and the trees were pure and untouched for thousands of years. He went to the garden sometimes, but more for the trees rather than the flowers. Even the high elves liked the trees, just not so much as the wood elves did. He brushed his fingers across the bark, sighing softly. It was quiet. And nice. There wasn't anyone else with them here.

Selene leaned down to smell the flower. They smelled fantastic. And so many she had never seen before. She looked up a little at Kith when he asked about what flowers Estelle liked. "I think that she like smaller flowers. One of her favorite things to do is to take small flowers and make them into crowns or accents in her hair. That's why I thought I would bring back something like a hair accessory that look like a flower. That she had something a little more sturdier to put in her hair." She went back to smelling the flowers. They were alone now with no one around. Maybe she should ask her question? She didn't want to ruin their whole day but it was bugging her.....

"Do you mind if I ask a personal question? I don't want to really intrude or anything. I mean, if we are getting married, we will share almost everything, but I would understand you wanting to keep some things from me..." she asked, not really looking up at him.

Kith nodded as Selene explained about the flowers. He looked down at them and then back up at Selene as she straightened. He was happy to remain quiet while she enjoyed the garden, but it wasn't long before Selene spoke again. He tilted his head from one side to the other, wondering what on earth she was so curious about. It sounded serious. It occurred to him that she might want to address the rumors. Had they traveled so far? Interesting.

"Well, you can always ask anything you'd like, personal or not." He told her. "At least, you can if its just us." He shrugged. "I'm not making any promises to answer though." He cautioned. Let her speak her mind. He'd rather she did anyway. She was right. They were getting married, and he'd rather have things out in the open, where they could either address them or not. "Leaving things in the dark never bides well, does it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.