Love is Elementary

Tiffani gave her a kind smile before she knocked on the door. "Miss Anna," she called through the door and bit the inside of her lip. "I don't mean to interrupt, but my name is Tiffani. You wanted to speak to me today, about temporarily replacing a woman who's out on maternity leave?" She waited a little nervously, though she had gained a bit of confidence from Jesse's faith in that it would work out.

Jesse was a nervous mess, trying to focus on the kids but knowing she wasn't doing a good job of it. Most of them had picked up on it. Even the volunteer had tried to tell her to calm down. She was just glad the young woman had stayed with her instead of returning to the other classroom. There was no reason for Anna not to give Tiffani a chance, especially since it was likely only for a few months right now. Her eyes went to the clock; only ten minutes had passed.

"Of course, come on in," Anna smiled, ushering her into her office. "Have a seat," she said, motioning towards one of the chairs in front of her desk.

"Thanks," Tiffani smiled, taking a seat in the rightmost chair.

"Jesse tells me you'd like to work with us," she said with a cheerful smile. "Why do you want to work with us?"

"My daughter has been going here for a couple years now. The care here has been superb and she's getting the education she needs at this age. But as to why I want to work here, I don't have a car, and it would be easiest to get my Melissa where she needs to be. She doesn't have a dad, and I've been using the child support money I get from her father for her to come here. All of that money goes to food and her care. My electricity will be shut off next week, as well as the water. And next month I'll be evicted if I can't get some of my rent covered. I don't mean to beg, but I am in desperate need of this job," she explained to Anna, tears filling her eyes. Anna handed her a tissue, and she dabbed her eyes and apologized for being so emotional.

Anna leaned forward in her chair, her elbows now on her desk. "I'm sure we'll be able to do something for you and Melissa," she said.

It was hard to focus on the children, Jesse was so nervous for Tiffani. It was a new thing for her, because she could usually use the children as a distraction from everything else. Once she glanced at the clock a second time, she felt a small hand on her arm. Looking down she smiled when she saw Melissa.

"I want to make something for mommy! Will you help me draw a picture?"

Jesse was confused for a moment, until she realized the young volunteer had decided to get out craft supplies and let the kids spend some time coloring and making things for a while. Maybe she hoped Jesse would finally get her head back on straight, and until then the kids could enjoy some drawing.

"Sure, I'll help you."

Tiffani walked out, thanking Anna wholeheartedly. "Thank you again so much-"

"Stop thanking me," Anna laughed. "I'm glad I can help you. You can start tomorrow morning when you bring Melissa in."

Tiffani smiled and thanked her once more before going to tell her daughter the good news, and thanking Jesse for getting her into Anna's office in the first place.