Love, by any other Whatsyourname (Pancakes + Trees)

HappyPancakes

Edgepeasant
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
6650e221172713.562fcb5193ffc.jpg

Name:
Sela (SEE-la) Songbird Francis

Birthday: May 10th, 1994
Major: American History

MG buzzed past the patrons of the strange guitarist that seemed to be here every Wednesday. And always in a tuxedo for some reason. Normally she would have at least stopped to give the guy a dollar, and ask him some annoying question, like just how hot he was in that thing, and when he was going to move on to a different campus. If the guy would have at least been a great singer, it wouldn’t be half bad. But this guy? It was the same Elvis tune, with the same voice that seemed to crack all the same. She figured that she’d give him a poke back once she get out of class.

In the meantime, at least she got a glimpse at him. “Why are U Ronning”, the sign at his feet read as it threatened to fall from resting on the guitar case. Plus it had the extra advantage of the guy’s face on it. She couldn’t not smile at that as she made her way. The sign was the most interesting thing about him: one time it’d said “I’d stop if I get a kiss”. That was a lie, but at least she got a good laugh out of it. Not so much this morning though, as she barely avoided people on her way to the nearest coffee shop.

She cursed herself as she saw the throng of people lazing around the place. She knew it was going to be crowded right now, and Monday of all days. She knew that, because it always was. You’d think that people move on to less crowded coffee places by now! But again, she was guilty of following the pack mentality this place attracted. Besides? Her favorite Barista was working today, and if there was any way she was going to get a lead on her, she had to get there and make sure she was seen.

She made her way into the line, pretending to pick out an order. Really, she would normally be picking out some name for herself. She already knew what she wanted – the names were always harder anyway. “Cordelia?” She asked herself as the line kept moving. “What am I, old?” she rolled her eyes before getting closer to the front of the line. “I could just go with Carrie again,” She figured, giving a friendly wave to the people behind the counter. Even if they didn’t know her name, they should’ve known her well enough. At least she thought she was here all the time.

Last edited:
RunBird-Classic-Oversize-Women-Rimless-Sunglasses-Fashion-Cute-Ladies-Blue-Gradient-Lens-Classic-Sun-Glasses-for.jpg_640x640.jpg

Name: George 'Georgie' Van Allen
Birthday: June 19th, 1993
Major: Dance

Drive Brew was a busy place.

That, generally, surprised George, because she couldn't imagine what people saw in a coffee shop with a weird pun as the name. They didn't have a drive threw, even; it was simply a small cafe. Maybe it was the 'homey' feeling it had, but that was always destroyed by the crowds. Other than that, the coffee was decent, but it wasn't anything that one would go out of their way for. But, the more people, the more money in her pocket, that's the way she saw it. She was guilty of going to another shop in her spare time. No one had to know that.

The point was, she didn't have any real obligation to her job. It was just work; the people were fine, the money was great, that was that. The only exciting part of working there was the cute girl.

She got plenty of people flirting with her and handing her numbers, granted, but most of them were guys who couldn't tell she was a lesbian, or that she was completely uninterested. There was one girl, though, that was very cute and had caught her eye. Shame she kept on giving fake names every fucking time she entered the shop.

"Hey, George, your girl is here." Kevin, her coworker, elbowed her lightly while waving to the girl in question "You gonna get her name today? Or her number? Or maybe get her--"

George mercilessly jabbed him back with her own elbow to cut him off, causing him to wince, but not looking up from preparing the order she was given. "You going to shut up anytime soon? Or do I accidentally have to spill scalding coffee on you?" She asked, keeping her tone flat, finally leveling him with a look before going to the counter to hand off the drink "Order for Savannah! Enjoy your coffee, ma'am. Next!"

The next person was, of course, Cute Girl. She could practically feel Kevin watching them, but smiled anyway, deciding to pointedly ignore him. "Good morning, welcome to Drive Brew. What can I get you?" She asked, keeping to the script.

Last edited:
MG was thinking of the perfect name as she started moving up in line. Sure enough, her favorite barista to torment was working the line. She thought it was a shame that she didn’t do anything with her hair today but it would have to do. Besides, she figured that she didn’t have to be the only one in the room with nice hair. This was especially true because the barista always seemed to have her hair put together. It was long, black, and almost always impeccably styled. It almost made her wonder if she was wrong about the barista liking girls or not. Nah, she had to be right – the way she’d blush and do awkward things when she got in line were definitely not heterosexually motivated.

Hell, it seemed like the most butch thing about the barista was her name, Georgie. MG figured that it was probably short for Georgina or even Georgiana when she actually took time to think about it. More exotic names seemed to suit the barista anyway, with her pretty black hair. MG started to get more impatient as the line seemed to be taking forever this morning. Or maybe, the fact that she knew she was going to be late to class if she didn’t get her coffee within the next fifteen minutes probably put things at a higher stake for her. MG tried to calm herself down, thinking of stupid topics until she thought about her name.

Her own name, her real name. It wasn’t common but she wouldn’t have pegged it for something exotic. It was Hebrew or something, and had a couple different meanings depending on the spelling. She liked it well enough, but it seemed to attract a bunch of nicknames for some reason. See, Cici, Ceelo, Seal to list a few. All stupid nicknames that on bad days, she would take with a grain of salt and good days she’d laugh along with. She wondered what life would have been like if she had her a name like her sister Eden. That didn’t seem to have any nicknames. Neither did the name in front of her, Savannah, as it was called out and the order was done.

Oh shit. It was her turn. “Hi, yeah, I’ll do an iced Caramel Mocha, with an extra shot of caffeine and extra syrup please.” “Yeah put it under uh….” MG said in a bit of a buzz before she realized something. Shit! She forgot about thinking about the name. She could have just used her own name, but this was far more fun. “Uh… Rock Lobster please.” She requested.

Rock Lobster. That was the weirdest one yet. The rest, in George's head, could've at least been someone else's name. A real person. Rock lobster, however, wasn't a real person, nor would anyone in their right mind name their child that, unless they were an extreme fan of the B-52s. But, if that was the name given, that's the name she had to use. She grabbed a cup, scribbling the name down, checking off all the boxes, and drawing a small lobster for good measure. She wasn't an art major, but she figured that the effort may be appreciated.

She handed it off to Kevin, who winked at her in a way he most likely thought was subtle, and hustled off to get the drink done. She rolled her eyes at him in an exasperated manner, before looking back at the girl in front of her, wondering what, exactly, compelled her to use such stupid names. Of course, she was a customer, so George wasn't able to ask out of need to be polite.

"Is that all, Ms. Lobster?" George asked, raising one eyebrow, making her thoughts known about the name even if she didn't say it directly. "Or can I get you something else?"

MG kept her lips tight in a smile as George got her name down. Seriously? Rock Lobster? Why that came to her head, she had no idea. God. Fredericka was the one that came right after she said that and that was the name she should have gone with. But MG knew that there was nothing she could do about it now, as she watched the Baristas work on her drinks. Rock Lobster. Like, that would have been one hell of a name really. The image of Rocky Balboa as a lobster came to her mind. A smile played on her lips – it seemed that it confused the shit out of George, and made the rest of the baristas laugh for some reason. At least they couldn’t say she was boring.

As she waited for her drink, her phone started buzzing. She was already more impatient from the coffee than normal, and maybe the distraction would be a welcome thing. Looking down, it was kind of a weird text from her friend Alexis. “How much do you love me?” The text read, followed with another speech bubble. “NVM – I can’t go anymore! My sister just went into labor and I gotta be there!” MG’s mood soured. She and Alexis had been looking forward to this all week, and now she had no one else to go with. She went through the list in her head, noting who she knew would be busy before she heard the name for her coffee.

MG smiled; at least the people here seemed cool, especially her Barista. Even with the humor, she was still disappointed about Alexis cancelling on her. And so far, the list of names all read busy or unavailable. She could have gone alone, but that wouldn’t have been too fun. She looked down at her cup and then back at Geroge, struck with an idea. “Actually yeah. Let me know when you get off work,” She said, grabbing the nearest pen and writing her number on a napkin, along with something that looked more like a stick spider than a lobster. “I’ll come by if I’m not in class.” She said, handing her the napkin.

“Thanks again for the coffee,” MG waved, making her way to her class.

(idk the amount of time that happens before archiving)

George was left, frazzled, holding a napkin in her hands while Kevin bustled by her confusion to help the next costumer. On one hand, this was good. This was a phone number from a cute girl. That was something she wanted, right? That was, generally, a good thing. However, on the other hand, it was very sudden, unasked for, and very clearly just a phone number, which meant that she wasn't any closer to having the customers real name. It was, to say the least, a little frustrating.

Of course, she ended up sending a text anyway, and saving the number under 'Mystery Girl Coffee Shop Edition'.

Sue her, she was curious about where this would go. She didn't expect a date or anything of the like- hell, she didn't know if this girl was gay, bi, or otherwise even -but the number was obviously given for a reason. Besides, if she didn't text at least once, she was sure Kevin would berate her for weeks on end, and she wasn't in the mental state to deal with that.

Text To: Mystery Girl Coffee Shop Edition
You know, generally people give their name with their number, Rock Lobster. I get off from work around 4:30

MG barely made it to her building when she heard her phone buzz again. She read it over in a blur, huffing and trying to catch her breath. Really, mochas shouldn’t have been the source of her energy but what choice did she honestly have here? From what she remembered reading, it turns out that yes, she really did forget to put an actual name. “Sorry! I guess I forgot about that” She quickly shot back before settling down in her classroom. It didn’t occur to her after seconds later, as she was sitting in her lecture and taking notes, that she didn’t actually fulfill solving the problem George pointed out in the first place.

MG wondered if it was too late even to say something now. She figured that she could just say it later or something. And maybe the gravitas of the situation was far too low for her, but why was it important right now? Carrie didn’t know Big’s name until the series ended, and they were the soulmates… ish. While she didn’t expect George to suddenly be her soulmate, she figured that it wasn’t that important. Besides, she gave hundreds of names – couldn’t she just choose from that? She literally referred to her as Rock Lobster anyway.

MG grinned as she started to write down an idea so absolutely stupid and manipulative, that it might have actually been fun. “Rock Lobster for now. It’ll change if ur free 2night” she offered when the professor’s back was turned. Oh, and there was one more thing she needed to warn her of. “Hope u like bubbles :)”

Well, that was certainly one way to bribe someone. George raised an eyebrow down at her phone, leaning against a back counter, re-reading the message. Bubbles, huh? She wasn't sure what they could possibly have to do with this, but it made her more curious, so she supposed that she would find out after she agreed. Because, of course, she would agree. She had nothing else to do with her time that night anyway; she had some choreography she could plan, but that wasn't even half as fun as sating her curiosity. Besides, she figured she could always leave early.

She typed out another messaged, allowing Kevin to push her into the back when he claimed she 'wasn't helping out' and therefore 'shouldn't get in the way'. She had just waved a dismissive hand at him in reply.

She wrote out a message that said 'Sounds like a date', but then erased it. That was too forward, she figured. She didn't even know if this was a date sort of thing. Instead, she sent "Depends on the bubbles. I guess we'll see, since I'm free. Rock Lobster for now, and I suppose you'll give me another fake one later, then?"

MG relaxed as she settled further in class. The lecture was losing its freshness – a perfect time to really get in the groove of what she really wanted to be doing: working on a paper and planning the perfect weekend, even if Alexis had her own plans now. Not that she could blame her – It wasn’t like she could control when someone else gives birth. Besides, she’d told her self she ought to start making some new friends. Might as well have some fun with the process, even if the idea she was going with was kind of dumb and if she’d seen any romantic comedy, doomed to fail.

MG kept busy tapping arrow keys to keep her laptop active. She did the reading with nothing short of a miracle, and knew that this was supposed to be review for the first half anyway. The only thing that was a saving grace now was the new messages on the phone from George. She cocked her brow, amused for multiple reasons: for someone who got tongue tied around her, George came off cocky, even a little rude with the suggestion at the end. MG smirked; if this was the way she was going to play it, maybe this had some more fun than she thought. “Ur words, not mine”, she sent with a smiley face.

MG looked over the text again. She knew that it would get old eventually, and that she’d have to tell George sooner or later. But for now? She technically didn’t ask her what her name was. The thought stayed with her as she hovered the mouse over the email confirming her invite to tonight. She went through the list of what she needed, when she remembered not telling George about the changes in clothes either. She considered not telling her based on the previous text, but hey, she was already torturing her enough? “Bring extra clothes,” She added before mulling over another way to flirt, eventually committing to it. “Lemme see what ur going to wear too,” she added with a winking emoji.

(Timeskip or keep flirting?)

(Timeskip maybe after this post?)

Alright, so maybe this was a date. Either that, or she was very bad at reading situations. George looked the text over, before taking a screenshot of the conversation and sending to her own groupchat, which was titled 'Dance Dance Revolutionists', with the caption 'is this flirting? or am I reading the situation wrong?'. The flurry of answers that followed consisted of 'wtf of course its flirting' and 'aren't you work' and 'why did you name her that in your contacts, George'. She didn't bother replying to them right away, instead switching back to her private conversation with the mystery girl. She at least had confirmation.

"At work at the moment, so I guess you'll just have to see what I'm bringing later. You shouldn't have a problem with a little mystery, right? :)" She sent, smiley face added for good measure, before pocketing her phone. She supposed that the mystery girl would send her more details, but for the moment, she was technically still on the clock, and she was sure that Kevin would be overwhelmed soon without her help. She straightened her apron, then made her way out of the back again to get back to work.

(Sure)

MG waited with the crowd, hoping she at least distanced herself enough to have George see her. The flirting between them had reached levels of fun, and it seemed that once she ignored it one time, she would ignore the name question again. She knew she’d have to eventually tell her, but it seemed like she had enough of a brain to recognize things like her phone number or her face. So MG told herself not to feel too bad as she looked down at her phone. She smiled looking at the picture of Alexis holding her new nephew. MG made a note to make sure to either thank or curse Alexis for her sudden departure depending on how this went.

MG then checked her phone once again, making sure that she gave George the right address, and nothing else as the area in front of the goers began to flood with suds. She hoped that her clues were enough information for George to dress for the occasion. To be fair, she didn’t want any warnings, but at least she was going to be nice about it. And if worse came, she had extra clothes in her car. In the meantime, she made sure her neon green shoes were tied double, even triple knotted for the occasion. Her white bikini top rested under a loose white tank, tied in the middle and swim trunks, her hair pulled back up as much as possible.

MG took in the site of other palooza goers taking their ‘before’ selfies and making sure they had their even waters sealed as tightly as possible – wouldn’t be any useful if soap got in there. Back on the field, the bounce castles, slip n’ slides and obstacle courses were starting to sud up, the dyes in each machine making a rainbow of suds rain down, and giant inflatable bubbles setting up among other things. Alexis, George, or even herself, MG knew that this was going to be the best Bubbapalooza ever.