Lore Love!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mu

it’s better then they’re a little bit of a loser.
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
MYTHICAL MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
So I've been scrolling through the WoW/Hearthstone wikia just reading up some random lore even though I've never even touched the game much less know what is going on in it. So many fantasy elements for me to gobble up.

And ofc dragons.

What's your favourite lore and why? Whether it be from a game or a book... yee, just talk about it!

Mutha fuckin' Wheel of Time series had it all for me. Every kingdom in the series has it's own unique and detailed history and culture, different social and political views, military styles, and architecture. Plus they threw in a couple of odd races to mix it up a bit. The writer (Robert Jordon) was also very good at systems of magic, I felt. Had a good eye for balance-based themes.

Oh, he was also good at HINTING TO A SHIT TON MORE THINGS BUT THEN NEVER REVEALING THOSE THINGS.

• Love
Reactions: Space Cowboy
Percy Jackson lore. Rick Riordan manages to put a unique spin on Greek (/Roman) Mythology, and blends it well with a more modern setting. The Wheel of Time series is also pretty dope.

Reactions: Mu
40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K! 40K!

IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE, THERE IS ONLY WAR!

Reactions: foodforpigs
I absolutely love Mass Effect's lore and it's one of those things where I will spend hours browsing the Wiki for information to build a roleplay. It makes for such a great universe to tell stories in, the species are all distinct and memorable, the characters are wonderful, and when you're playing the games the fact that all of the planets, even the minor ones, have detailed descriptions and sometimes a history that helps flesh out the sense that you are in a realized world. All of that and some super cool technologies and one of the greatest sci fi ships ever, it's so good.

For a similar reason, I really took to A Song of Ice and Fire. It's just the right amount of magic on top of a very brutal and otherwise realistic setting with really unpredictable twists and turns and it's the first time reading a book series that is so ruthless to it's characters and cements the feeling that no one is safe, which is so damn refreshing. I know a lot of people who know so much more of the lore than I do, but it's really compelling and even most of the minor houses have a story behind them. GRRM did an incredible job of world building.

He also made a culture of Cthulhu worshipping Vikings. That speaks to me on so many levels.

Last edited:
A Song of Ice and Fire probably tops the list for me. Other book series with neat lore include the Wheel of Time series, the Shannara series, and the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. There are also some games that have amazing lore that I get way into, specifically The Elder Scrolls, Warcraft, Fallout, and Dark Souls.

For most of those things I listed, I like the lore because it has just tons and tons of stuff that goes back a long time, plenty to show that the world was well thought out ahead of time. It's largely a thing that aids my immersion into the books/games because it makes it easier to get interested in what's going on and care about the world and the characters and so forth. Having tons of little tidbits about the past of the world makes it feel more like a real place, which is nice.

The major exception to the above explanation is Dark Souls. For those games I really like how you're presented with almost nothing to explain what's going on in the world and you just have to piece it together from tidbits in item descriptions and things the few talkative NPCs say. The mystery aspect of it is just a ton of fun and going through the inventory reading things is definitely done for the sake of interest in lore and not just to take a break from getting viciously anally violated by the game again.

>_> <_<

This is going to sound egotistical as fuck, and it probably is, but I adore the lore I've built up for Legend of Renalta over the years. I really do. I've spent more hours of my life toiling on and perfecting every aspect of the world I physically could. So many late nights, I can't even remember most of them anymore. So many times I got lost building a world to help me escape from the one I had lived in. I've spent the last couple of years trying to amend strange fantasy tropes that made no sense to me. To make them interesting again, where they've been done utterly to death. :ferret:

I took one look at elves and did not understand how they didn't just take over every world they existed in. Living for thousands of years with no perceivable downside? The biggest weakness being that they just need to fuck more than other races to produce offspring? They have magical connections to nature that make them borderline demigods? Seriously? No no, this needs fixing.

So I hit them with two major maladies that reshaped their society. That forced them to do most of the things they do to survive.
  1. Non-Functioning Immune System Youths: Their babies don't have immune systems. A common cold can wipe out an entire village of children before they even show any symptoms of the disease. Adults have immune systems, but can carry nasty maladies back with them and unintentionally infect children with it. While magic can cleanse and purify a person of diseases, you have to know they're there first. So, all it takes is one mistake, and the next day, everyone's children die.
  2. Limited Minds: The human brain has a limited capacity for memory, so why not elves? They may live to be 1500+ years old, but every 100-200 years, they start to forget old memories in order to make way for new memories. This makes it so while they can learn and master a couple of intense tasks, they can't master anything more without forgetting some of the details of something else, whilst also retaining their sanity.
Now, suddenly, it makes sense why they seclude themselves away, far away from the other races, and in deep forests that would be a pain in the ass to properly live in. It makes sense why they don't just take over the world with immortal 800 year old demigod armies. Now it makes sense why they would look at some of their own who spend time with the other races, and simply go "don't come back." Their entire race is a xenophobic early 1900's Japan put on steroids with a fantasy twist. It mirrors how the Native Americans reacted when white men came and 90% of them got wiped out by horrifying mega-diseases.

The elves now make sense, with harsh biological handicaps that keep them from becoming the gods they sometimes wish they were. It's bred resentment among them of the other races, who don't have these fears of mass genocide by accident. They stay away from everyone else and if people insist on trying to find them, they wind up riddled with arrows in hunting accidents. Their bodies don't even get moved, because god knows what diseases a filthy human is carrying on them--they get left to the carrion.

Outside of their own, secluded places within deep forests, other races simply label them "The Tragedy Race." Because one of the only commonly known facts about elves by outsiders is their children die if they interact with the other races. To add to the tragedy, it's not entirely uncommon for elves to leave their people, swearing to find a cure, some magic--anything that could solve their predicament. After a few hundred years of searching, they usually forget why they were out there. They have families, children, those children grow old and die around them. They become depressed, they decide to try and find their own people again, not knowing the consequences for doing so.

And they die. And get left to the carrion, like everyone else.

The elves have an actual identity in my universe beyond "disturbingly perfect." They're a visage of perfection, a broken mirror that reflects shattered memories and a broken destiny. Maybe they should have taken over the world, but they can't now. They simply can't.

Half-breeds. Another issue that makes little sense. Genetically speaking, half-breeds shouldn't be possible. Especially between, say, an orc and a dwarf. It shouldn't produce anything, it's clear the two races have drifted too far apart to ever properly have children. Yet, I wanted to keep half-breeds. So how do I fix that issue?

Well, ten thousand years ago in the world's history, there was an apocalypse event. Prior to that, there was an ancient empire known as the Imperium. What few records survived the apocalypse event, tell of basically only humans. There's no mention of elves, dwarves, or other stock fantasy races. The only reference to other species is of superpowered, supernatural creatures, capable of wiping out thousands of men single handed. Think like Dragons, or giant spiders with magical powers, et cetera. Mortals back then didn't have much of a capacity for magic. There was a Mage's Guild devoted to trying to resolve that. They did.

It resulted in the apocalypse. A detonation of magical energy with the equivalent power of a tsar bomb, which spread in every direction like a cancerous tumour. It wiped out the Imperium and killed most of the continent's population of humans, but it also severely weakened the supernatural entities, and all of a sudden, mortals could use magic.

At the same time, some few hundred years later, records suddenly appeared of other races.

Because of the dark ages imposed by the apocalyptic event, nobody gave it a second thought. Nobody that survived remembered what the Imperium was anymore, so they didn't remember the whole "humans only" bit.

Yet, some few within the universe who are ancient do actually realize that the similarities between the mortal races can't be passed off as natural. It also can't be passed off that only humans are capable of breeding with every other sapient mortal race with no problems and no need for magical assistance.

Now, suddenly, it makes a little more sense. Plus it adds a mystery. Maybe there were other races during the time of the Imperium, and the records speaking of them didn't survive. Maybe the magical event left a few more survivors than everyone originally thought there were, but not without a few mutations. No matter what the truth is, it's unsettling enough to be interesting. :ferret:

Aside from that? I adore the mythos of Babylon 5 (which Mass Effect stole a great deal from amusingly enough), Lord of the Rings (The Silmarillion!), X-COM (It's actually got an extraordinarily dark backstory throughout the original series), Warhammer 40K (A man who tries to wipe out religion becomes a religious icon, the irony), Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (it actually has a rather fascinating backstory, inspired by the likes of Kubrick), Hitman (fuck you square enix), Thief (So much lore in this game, oh my god, I fucking adore all of it :ferret:)...

This is going to sound egotistical as fuck, and it probably is, but I adore the lore I've built up for Legend of Renalta over the years.
I, personally, find nothing egotistical about loving a universe you've built up for years. If anything it's natural.

But for games I constantly find myself going back to Pillars of Eternity and Dragon Age which, naturally, falls into my love for Baldur's Gate i.e The Realms. Recently I've been getting into Magic and stumbled across this beauty of a monologue [spoili]"I've lived hundreds of your lifetimes," continued Bolas. "I've survived more apocalypses than you've had chest colds. I've experienced more of this cosmos than any being there has ever been. And you think you're going to stand in my way, matchstick? You think you're the one to finally take me down? I can tell you now, if Nicol Bolas is to fall, it won't be because of the likes of you."

"You're centuries too late to play the insolent, devil-may-care hero. It's been done far too many times, and by better beings than you. It's played out. You don't have a million-to-one chance, little walker. This isn't your once-in-a-lifetime shot at the hero's triumph. This is you, flyswatted."[/spoili]

Reactions: Dusk and Brovo
Percy Jackson lore. Rick Riordan manages to put a unique spin on Greek (/Roman) Mythology, and blends it well with a more modern setting. The Wheel of Time series is also pretty dope.
Oh yeah. I remember finding the first two books in my primary school library. Good stuff.

Mass Effect
ASoIF
Star Wars (but I don't know everything.)
Fallout
Elder Scrolls (I have achieved Chim.)

@Dervish "What is dead my never die!"
I do love me some Star Wars, but same boat. I find a lot of the lore way too much to process entirely, and I can't believe I forgot to mention Elder Scrolls, considering it's my bread and butter for role playing.

I also want to throw the Metro 2033 universe into my list of favorites because it's honestly refreshing to see an apocalyptic tale from a distinctly Russian perspective and how people are surviving decades after the nukes fell living in the metro behind massive sealed doors that are protecting them from radiation and the mutants that now rule the surface.

Star Wars is the biggest one for me.

But my second place contender would be Dark Souls.

Anything else: Mass Effect, Game of Thrones, Halo, Fallout etc. I have a more minor interest in. I'll join any thread and such about it, but it's not something that engages me enough to dig through wiki articles on it or anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dervish
Forgot about the halo series. I know far too much about that lore, but I fucking love it. Oh also star wars and mass effect are good.

I am shocked that none has said The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Mass Effect is my biggest one, while Dragon Age falls second.

And there's The Division, Star Wars, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, A Song of Ice and Fire, and Halo.

EDIT: If I am making an alteration World War II roleplay (which I might), I might be inspired by The Man in the High Castle. Plus, look at this epic map:

DLZtbSV.png

Last edited:
I am shocked that none has said The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.

Mass Effect is my biggest one, while Dragon Age falls second.

And there's The Division, Star Wars, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, A Song of Ice and Fire, and Halo.

EDIT: If I am making an alteration World War II roleplay (which I might), I might be inspired by The Man in the High Castle. Plus, look at this epic map:

DLZtbSV.png
I actually found out about this today while I was watching some people discussing the amazon train advertisement about the TV show. Sounds very interesting o-o.

Also that synopsis ending.

I actually found out about this today while I was watching some people discussing the amazon train advertisement about the TV show. Sounds very interesting o-o.

Also that synopsis ending.
I haven't watched the show yet, but I heard that it's good. It has four stars on IMDb; however, the show is only on Amazon. Which sucks. I would read the book first, just in case you think it isn't for you.

There's a second book, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. This one is very interesting because it's an novel within a novel book. Where the Allies won World War II, but it's super different than our version. I don't even know why there hasn't been a roleplay based or inspired by the book. I'd join it in a heartbeat.

And there needs to be a Mass Effect roleplay as well. I am currently playing the first game, level forty-two (or forty-one). Female and Paragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.