- Roleplay Invitations
- Group Roleplays, One on One Roleplays
- Posting Speed
- One Post a Day, A Few Posts a Week, One Post a Week
- Writing Levels
- Adept, Advanced, Prestige, Adaptable
- Genders You Prefer Playing
- Primarily Prefer Male
- Playing Style- Passive or Aggressive
- Ideally, my partner and I would work together to advance the plot equally.
- Favorite Genres
- Post-apocalyptic, dystopian, medieval politics, supernatural, historical, crime, fandom, splashes of romance
It’s September of 1950. In the Muggle world, vacant bomb sites and prefabs stand testament to recent destruction. Orwell’s 1984 is gaining popularity, the welfare state is rising, and resources are scarce. War is still so fresh that the very idea of another one seems inconceivable.
Wizarding Britain is of a similar mindset. Though talk of Grindelwald’s defeat has finally died, though the front page of the Prophet is dominated by a sex scandal, nobody has forgotten. Life is lived with an awareness of its transience. Modernity is in vogue. Muggle Rights activists have gained a foothold in government, and extremism is silenced. But hatred is not so easily vanquished, especially when integral to identity; it has merely been relegated to closed doors and fervent whispers. Pureblood society values tradition, and it is slow to change.
At Hogwarts, a new school year is dawning. The elderly Armando Dippet occupies the Headmaster’s office. The papers have finally stopped pestering Albus Dumbledore for an account of his famous duel. Life goes on as usual for the students, most of whom are more concerned with dating and exams than political context. But whispers of a new and striking addition to the staff dominate the current discussion.
Tom Riddle graduated five years earlier in a blaze of glory and a shower of academic awards, only to vanish from Britain after his teaching application was rejected. When he reappeared last June, features gaunt and eyes much too old for twenty-three, Dippet was desperate; the DADA professor had walked out a week earlier, leaving the position vacant for the fifth time in as many years. Riddle was hired on the spot, despite Dumbledore’s vehement opposition.
Most vaguely recall a dark-haired, well-mannered schoolboy. Some suspect his reasons for teaching are less than altruistic. A select few, who now refer to him by a different name, know this for a fact.
Though Dippet could not know it, his hiring decision will forever alter the course of history.
In sum: This is a Harry Potter AU, in which a young Tom Riddle/Voldemort returns to recruit at Hogwarts under pretense of a teaching post. Wizarding politics, romance, and buckets of drama are sure to crop up as loyalties are questioned and limits are tested. May contain themes of violence, language, and racist wizards.
Both students and staff (with the exceptions of Riddle, Dumbledore, and Dippet) are up for grabs. OCs are welcome, as are CCs from Riddle’s timeline. CCs born before 1960 are also acceptable with altered timelines. For example, you could play a sixteen-year-old Narcissa, provided you build a logical backstory and relationships to existing characters, and that nobody has claimed either of her parents. Our timeline must be logical, but it need not match up precisely with canon.
in-character (coming soon!)
- Be familiar with Harry Potter lore, and willing to research any gaps in your knowledge. Though this is an alternate timeline universe, the setting remains the same, and is key to creating a believable story.
- Be capable of evocative, multi-paragraph replies which drive the plot forwards. Quality over quantity. Shorter posts are perfectly acceptable for dialogue/action.
- Post once per character, per week. If you repeatedly miss this deadline you will be asked to leave, as it isn’t fair to fellow RPers. Exceptions may be granted under extenuating circumstances.
- Be committed. If you're not sure that this RP is for you, ask. If you don't have the time, please save us both the hassle of applying and then dropping.
- You are encouraged to write extensive 1x1 interactions via Google Docs or Discord, then edit into a single post before posting in the IC thread. This helps to maintain a good pace to the plot, and gives you the option to write shorter back-and-forth dialogue.
- While the focus of this RP is on plot and character development, sexual content is permitted between consenting writers, provided it adheres to site rules and is wrapped in NSFW spoiler tags. PMs are another option.
- Your character must be 16+. Both students and staff (with the exceptions of Riddle and Dippet) are up for grabs. OCs are welcome, as are CCs from Riddle’s timeline. CCs born before 1960 are also acceptable with altered timelines. For example, you could play a sixteen-year-old Snape, provided you create a logical backstory and relationships to existing characters. Obviously, if someone already claimed his school-age parent, he’d be off the table.
- Doubling is permitted. Additional characters may be granted based on proven posting abilities.
- Characters must share a relationship/history with at least two other characters, established prior to the beginning of our story (see ‘apply’ tab for details).
- No Mary Stus/Gary Sus. By that token, if you want to play the veela-werewolf-animagus-metamorphmagus twin sister of Lucius Malfoy, you’re going to have to justify that decision, and you’re going to need one hell of a persuasive argument.
Blackstag, Wilhelm - Care of Magical Creatures
Dippet, Armando - Headmaster
Dumbledore, Albus - Transfigurations
Riddle, Tom - DADA
Slughorn, Horace - Potions
Dubhuir, Saoirse - Slytherin
~Character bios should be posted in this thread. You’ll get a message from me either approving your character, requesting an edit, or politely declining your application. If we haven't written together previously, please provide a linked sample. Currently, we have room for 5 RPers.~
This is your chance to get creative, and to persuade me that you and your character will be a good fit. Both CCs and OCs require a bio, though it needn't be long. I’m looking for three-dimensional characters: people with strengths and weaknesses, motivations and fears, beliefs and doubts. You may write out their backstory, or allow it to come out organically over the course of our roleplay. You may expand the character sheet if you find it helps to get a feel for the role.
Both students and staff (with the exceptions of Riddle, Dippet, and Dumbledore) are up for grabs. OCs are welcome, as are CCs from Riddle’s timeline. CCs born before 1960 are also acceptable with altered timelines. For example, you could play a sixteen-year-old Narcissa, provided you build a logical backstory and relationships to existing characters, and that nobody has claimed either of her parents. Our timeline must be logical, but it need not match up precisely with canon.
Year (5-7th, if student) or Job (if staff; see 'the cast' tab):
Appearance (art or image fc):
Motivation/s (what drives their actions? May change throughout the story):
*Characters must share a relationship/history with at least two other characters, established prior to the beginning of our story. They could be relatives, or exes, or maybe they’re near-strangers who share a secret; whatever you like. Please keep in mind that Hogwarts is not that big, and so all of our characters should at least be acquainted. Once your application has been approved, you are encouraged to chat with other group members through PM or Discord to establish relationships, and to edit bios accordingly.