Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Enigs

Original poster
Hello I am Enigs and I have a particular character stuck in my head and need help exorcising him. While that wasn't the best opening line perhaps you have to admit it was to the point. I have some prior rp experience though it was several years back and I have decent experience with the English language. I will admit to a fairly frequent flaw of creating run-on sentences but I try to control it. I will try to post a paragraph or two at least every couple of days to a maximum of twice a day, although that is not likely to happen often. Information about the character will be listed beneath the expectations I have of you, none of which I expect to be exempt from myself, and anything not specifically stated is open to modification. While I have a few themes and ideas I wish to play with I am fairly relaxed about the setting or world as I mostly want to see how he would fare in whatever situation he ends up in.

Expectations of you and therefore also what you can expect from me.
  • I expect that you can maintain tolerable English spelling and grammar. I am personally more particular about word choice than grammar structure so long as you are comprehensible, and no one is perfect but please don't butcher the poor language it is already dying.
  • I ask that you post at a minimum of once per week. I would prefer once a day or so but not everyone has that sort of time. If you must be away for longer than a week that is acceptable but I would like forewarning.
  • I ask that you avoid creating a romantic relationship with my character, and that you do not engage in explicit activities "on screen". A romantic relationship is already an integral part of his backstory and he is not open to further offers. Also I dislike smut on sites that are not specifically created for such. The internet has enough of such content already there are other places to go to relax in that manner. If you wish to have your character have a relationship with an NPC that is fine but please keep all written content roughly within PG-13 guidelines.
  • Please don't message me about posting unless it has been greater than 48 hours with no response. I will make sure notifications are on for whatever medium we RP through and will likely check it roughly once a day. I dislike finding my mailbox full of messages and I likely wont notice them until I would have noticed the new post anyways.
  • The characters in question will be adults. This is only reasonable considering the story anyways but even if it were not I have no great interest in portraying teenage or younger characters for any length of time.
  • No Godmodding. It simply isn't fun. While it is ok to have some degree of power, after all it is more enjoyable to play as knights fighting dragons than school children squashing bugs(in most cases at least) everyone is human and has flaws and imperfections. My characters for example largely is a trickster with minor techniques to escape or stun an opponent in battle. To be truly powerful he requires ample time to prepare,and as such will likely only rarely get such time.
That ended up being more than I anticipated but hopefully it should cover the major points. I do not wish to scare away potential friends but if these particular issues were to have to be addressed mid RP it would likely end up being a waste of everyone's time anyways. A quick note on the magic system introduced ahead. I do have examples a basic laws for it to adhere to but this post is going to be long enough without that padding it further.

The character in question
In the village there was a son born to the ruling family. He was a Torres and as a member of that family his birthright was the art of runecasting. He was a relatively quick study and was shortly producing many beneficial items for the people of the village and even branching out into creating new forms once he entered his teenage years. One day as he was delivering some Everlights he saw a woman of the village near his age and he was nigh instantly smitten with her. She developed a fondness for him as well and their relationship blossomed for several years until it was widely known that they were destined to wed.

On their fourth year as a couple nearing their anniversary Wilson completed a project kept in secret as a proposal gift to his love. Wilson had a good head for runecasting and numbers but was terrible at remembering most other things, and it was a running joke he had already determined the day he would ask Janice to marry him, but had simply forgot to ask. To counter this weakness in himself Wilson developed a new rune that should allow him to remember everything concerning Janice by consuming older memories and using them as a catalyst to remind him of the now devoured memories. Replacing a void of memories with a spotty and cyclic pattern was not perfect but it was better than what he currently had.

Late one summer evening he asked Janice to accompany him to a secluded spot outside the village and there he explained the rune to her and, with her permission, painted the rune on her exposed back. For the time they spent there it seemed to have worked perfectly and they walked back hand in hand and happy as only those consumed by love can be. When they returned to the village they realized there was a problem as the villagers jeered at Wilson for spending another evening alone out in the forests. No one seemed capable of seeing Janice or even remembering her existence.They tried all throughout a sleepless night to get a single person to acknowledge her presence without any success.

Wilson returned to the main house and searched through the archives for some hint for what could have gone wrong or how to fix it. While the family viewed it as strange Wilson demanded a second bed and double portions to all his meals, they disregarded it in light of the fact he had become the most dedicated runecaster they had seen for years if not decades. While Wilson was originally sure there must be something in the old records that could help him, as no human idea is truly novel, after combing the archives several times and spending years devoted to the task he could find nothing.

Janice learned some of the art of runecasting spending her time as she did with Wilson and they discussed several methods to end this curse. Unfortunately the only method that had any degree of certainty to its success was for Wilson to commit suicide, and in this particular case it was not entirely certain even that would solve the ongoing problem let alone return the memories to their rightful owners. The possibility of being entirely alone in a world unable to acknowledge her was too terrible for Janice to contemplate and they ultimately decided on another plan.

Using the skills and knowledge acquired in these years studying Wilson sought to revive in himself his families old heritage of warriors, instead of the scholars and inventors they were thought of today. Re-crafting some of the old runes into his own battlestave Wilson gather supplies and prepared to leave the village forever. There had always been rumors that his family was not the only ones to be blessed with runecasting. If the answers he sought were not in his own archives he must search for those held by others.

Final Notes
It seems this entire thing is destined to run longer than I had thought. I kept several things about him specifically vague to allow for changing to fit in most any world he found himself in, and this is not the entirety of the information I have built for him but this is the essentials. I would like to build the world with whomever I RP with. I imagined his town as a secluded mountain town or something similar. Leaving Wilson to either be a clueless country-boy to a world weary traveler depending on where in his tale we decide to RP. Please leave a post in this forum if you are interested. possibly with an ideas you have as to the setting. I have some ideas for possible settings if you do not but I am not especially concerned as the point is to see how he deals with the unexpected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.