Looking for someone to do a fantasy 1x1 with me. One plot inside. Free to tweak it together.

W

wachook

Original poster
Inspiration/Aesthetic:
Berserk, The Witcher, Final Fantasy, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, The Howler

It doesn't have to go all grim-dark but as we get further into the story, the mood will probably go down as well.

Basic Plot Outline:
Muse 1 (M1) is a member of a dying clan of monster hunters. In years long past, they were an essential part of society as warriors against incursions of the spirit realm. Now, with the spirit realm closed off to the mortal world, they struggle to find their standing in this new society. The discrimination they face, combined with their previous trauma from entering the spirit realm/their training, make it hard for them to live amongst regular citizens. However, M1 has gotten word that their (Muse 2; M2)grandchild/friend's descendant/sibling's grandchild/one of the few remaining monsters/a half-breed/etc is alive and well in the Midden. M1 sets off to find M2, unbeknownst that their very presence will soon be M2's demise… (or, if M2 is a monster, very well aware.)

Extra Details/Lore:
Spiritual beings and mortals cannot coexist together. Their very concepts are anathema to the other; their meeting causes illness, disease, and death. However, this was not a widespread phenomenon until the elder god Namong dreamt of the two realms. This act inadvertently made their worlds as one, resulting in Amon. Although the two species tried to live in harmony, war would eventually break out. Now the majority of spirits are confined to a land beyond the seas—the remains of the original spirit realm—while humans have populated numerous continents.

Monster hunters (or a cool name we can come up for their organization later), carry a mark on their bodies. It is comparable to a tattoo, if tattoos were carved into your skin. This open wound will never heal and the "blood-mark" draws all spiritual beings towards the bearer. It can be anywhere on their body where their spiritual energy is most concentrated. Hunters are not suffering from constant blood-loss, however, as the mark does not bleed conventionally. Instead, it leaks chakra—irresistible to any monster.

In the course of their training, hunters are made immortal—but not invincible. They are ageless beings but a sword or bullet will put them down just like any other mortal man. It is this quality of theirs that allowed them to enter the spirit realm in the first place, as all spiritual beings are timeless as well. To combat supernaturally strong monsters, they often down concoctions of their own making—massively boosting their abilities for a short period of time. These potions do not come freely; ingredients are hard to harvest (especially with the mass extinction of the supernatural) and prolonged usage of them lead to illness and even death.

However, as the spirits fade into legend, monster hunters are no longer needed in society. The big threats are gone. Baba Yaga is dead, the goblins are all but wiped out, maras no longer haunt people in their sleep... fae exist in the woodlands, perhaps, but they aren't big enough to pose any danger (though they can cause serious fevers.) The hunters are blamed for many troubling incidents... they are a bad omen, whose very presence will cause the return of humanity's ancient enemy. Perhaps not entirely based in falsehood—the small spirits who remain in the mortal realms, such as grass-weed fae, do tend to flock around the hunters. Cities shun them, towns ban them, and in some deep forests... they are killed for cult rituals. Still, when a village falls impotent to a spirit's presence, citizens begrudgingly pay for the monster to be slain.

The spirit realm has reverse engineered the blood-mark in secret. Though the human world does not know it yet, mortals near those with the blood-mark will soon be turned into ghouls—bloodsucking monsters who fear no sun, no God, no master. Those with the blood-mark itself will slowly become possessed by the spirits themselves. It is fortunate that the hunters' numbers have been thinned down greatly over the years, something the spirits did not anticipate as they do not have any insights into the human world. Their plan is to let the ghouls run havoc in the world—to cleanse it before their return.

The Midden is one of the many settlements in conquered spirit land. As the monsters left traces of their presence behind when they fled, these experimental villages are often full of death and disease. Citizens here are either poor, foolishly brave, involved in cultist behaviour, or academically interested in the spirit realm.

Steam is all the rage throughout the nation. With its power, humans have achieved flight via balloons and ships. They can sail the seas with no sails, ride carriages without horses, and even the bow has been replaced by the smoking multi-shot muskets of the Royal Army. Humanity is no longer in the Dark Age… though the skies are stained black with soot. The advent of steam did not come without its consequences. War is drumming up in the hearts of men and the nation is holding its breath in anticipation. With the easy travel of ships, airships, and automobiles, attacks are more devastating than ever. Cannons and guns have replaced the catapult and bow, airships drop bombs upon derelict castles, and ships fight over control of the various straits. Many forests have been cut down for both settlements and farms. Those who live in the wild are slowly being forced into the cities.

Rules/About Me:
I want someone who can post at least once per week. I can wait for two but after that, if I don't hear any response from you, I'll just drop it.
I don't require post lengths but I do want you to write something I can react to. Please do not just rephrase my post. Move the plot forward and don't be scared to take things your way. After all, a RP is 50/50. At the same time, if what you're planning is a huge plot point, please discuss it with me OOC first (I will too).
I think I have a basic world plotted out but if you want to worldbuild further, I'm good with that as well.

I'm fine with having a pre-plotted romance but in this scenario it won't really make sense. Therefore if there is any romance at all, it has to be somewhat realistic. Of course, sometimes there just is that "spark" where you fall in love in first sight but there's also those periods where you realize what a horrible mistake you made and that it was all just Vegas.
I RP in threads or PM but prefer threads. PMs look messy to me. I don't RP on Discord, mostly because I don't know how and I like to take a little time before I write.
I'd like something slowburn-ish, where we don't skip past the journey scenes. Something where we can just talk about rubbish slice-of-life things. At the same time, I don't want to spend 20 pages talking about what kind of tea your character likes. So, everything in moderation.

The setting is fantastical and not very science-y (airships?) but it doesn't mean our characters have to be the same way. I want characters that are more grounded in reality. No 1v900, no shrugging off bullets point blank. The only exception (is it an exception if they still can't 1v900?) to this is the monster hunter character but ONLY when they have prep-time. And while they may be strong, they aren't going to be uber god-like either.
I don't require character sheets or face claims or anything (if you want one though, I can make one.) If M2 does choose someone related to M1, we can discuss how over PMs. I am fine with playing either Muse.

I'm a Redstar so I'll only write explicit material (if it even comes up) with other Redstars.

PM if you're interested! I probably missed out on some things/you probably want to add some and talking it over will help. I'll probably take only one partner for this but it's not first come first serve.

Reactions: moffnat