Long Term Fantasy Epic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few questions, some on Nantenland and Nemor specifically, other a bit more general. Basically just things that occurred to me when I was thinking about what kind of character to create; things that might have an influence on their personality, attitudes towards others and backstory etc.

I'm sorry if these are a little overwhelming, but I tried to shorten it down a bit.

1. Do you have any information on the rulers of Nemor and Nantenland - things such as their personality, reputation, general standing in the kingdom etc? What kind of rulers are they - kind, ruthless, strong, weak etc? Do either of them have a reputation for anything in particular that a character from that realm might know them for? Are they aloof and distant or friendly, popular and well-loved by their people? Are there factions in either court who don't like their specific ruler or is the general consensus that they know what they're doing and most people are solidly loyal?

2. What is the current political feeling between the different kingdoms? Given the history between Nantenland and Galgaroth, for example, would there still be a little sense of hostility between people of one kingdom toward the other? Are the people of Nemor still of the mind to stay out of the business of the others or are they keen to help as an independent kingdom now that they are not pawns of someone else? How much bad blood, if any, remains post-war, given that it did end around 80 years ago?

3. Do the Forgotten Brigade still exist, how much of a problem are they and where are they most active? Are they a big problem for most of the kingdoms, or only a few? Would a character who has grown up in the court of either Nantenland or Nemor know about them, and what is the general attitude toward them (viewed as traitors, troublesome bandits, misguided zealots etc)? Are they hunted down ruthlessly or generally just left to do their thing and only attracting attention when they happen to get caught or if they cause too much trouble in a small period of time?

4. Are there any issues of social disparity or class or gender that might have an impact on a character? For example, the attitude toward women vs men or poor vs rich? Any specific stereotypes for people from each kingdom?

5. How much power and influence does the religion have (specifically in Nantenland and Nemor), not only over affairs of state/in court, but also over people in general (are they all highly religious or is debate and questioning allowed/encouraged)?

Sorry if these questions are too specific, but I love details, the more I have the easier it is to build a character. These are all things that occurred to me that might influence his or her personality and relations with the members of other kingdoms.
Don't apologize! Questions mean i haven't touched on specific things enough.

However you ask awesome questions, and some of which I didn't touch on because I was planning on revealing some things in the story. However I now realize that I should let you guys in on some things, because it's important to character building. haha...

1.) short answer- yes. But I'll provide deeper info.
  • Nanten/Nantenland- The Arafor camily heads this country, with the lord specifically names Malcolm Arafor. Nanten is a land of extremes. They have the nobility from the Arafor family- the middle class of their landowning bannermen- and lower class. The nobility is nice- but are typical, as well as the bannermen. This is not a perfect world where everyone loves everyone, but it's better than Galgaroth or the Crown City. They were previously at war with Galgaroth- and hold some hostility to them this day- however not openly. This is more just prejudice, rather than violence. So instead of an old hatred, it's more of a distrust these days. Lord Malcolm is a cool headed strategist, and he is mostly well- liked. As a leader he is decisive and cunning, a very strong leader- their family once being fit for kingship over the continent.

• Nemor- This is lead by the Barrast family. Specifically the lord Eugene Barrast. He is a well liked noble- honorable and generous. This is a bit of a friendly yet stand-offish land. They stick to their own, and prefer it this way, however will provide aide when necessary. However their financial standing- while being comfortable, can't afford to wildly help everyone around them. The Nobility is considered more middle-class compared to that of the bigger countries like Galgaroth or Nantenland. So the class disparity isn't as great here. The smallfolk/commoners are generally okay with the upper class, because the upper class here generally are not afraid to get their hands dirty.
3.) The Forgotten Brigade: These guys are dangerous. Though they are good at covering their tracks. They are considered all three of what you mentioned. Some bands are not paid attention to, others are tracked and killed on sight. Though most of the time, they are only dealt with on a case-by-case basis. They don't openly attack- but if they do- it's usually devastating. Some of these people were once highly trusted knights, and lost their lands in the war due to financial issues. Others are just the disenfranchised and angry peasants who think that robbing from the rich will teach someone something.

4.)I'll get into social disparity soon. But Gender disparity is also important! However there isn't much to say about this. I'd say gender disparity is similar to the way it is today, to open up opportunities for strong female characters. I'd say there is some prejudice, but there isn't a whole lot of bad blood or anger.

Social disparity is different in each country.
Galgaroth is very wealthy, which means their class disparity is wider. Since the war- lots of knights lost their land and power- which causes some unrest.
Ishtan is second to this, having no middle class. They are nobility and commoners only- seeing the lord sultan of ishtan monopolizes power. There is some unrest here at times, but crime is punished severely, and the sultan is generous to those he likes- so there's some inconsistency here.
Nantenland is third as far as money is concerned. Wealthy, but hold a better standing with their people. The commoners here hold more love of their lord, but still holds unrest due to similar standings of Galgaroth- the war putting lots of knights and bannermen out of land and money.
Liseria is very wealthy, but most of their wealth is embedded in the Ruvelian Church. The rich here are rich, and the poor are very poor- but at least they have religion to keep them happy and in line.
Kubana is moderately wealthy, with successful lord, and honorable bannermen. Like feudal japan, or warring china. Their poor are kept under an iron thumb, but provide good services to their land. They are kept too busy to have too much rebellion.
Nemor doesn't have much disparity to be honest. Probably the highest happiness rate. Doesn't mean everyone's perfect, because some people are always just jealous of what other people have.
Midgard is fairly unwealthy... But this is because they don't put a lot of faith into wealth. They prefer personal power and strength, and reward it thusly. The poor are very jealous of the wealthy here, and there are often tribal disputes. However, even when things are getting bloody- the clans all basically respect each other's relative strength.

Religion is something else entirely that i want to touch on.
Ruvelianism is the major religion. Like the christian type monotheism. Questioning religion isn't a huge thing, as most people believe in something, and the Ruvelian church is very powerful- they have a militarized group, even, and inquisitors... Think for yourselfers generally keep to themselves. Though some countries like Midgard, Ishtan, and Nemor are more open to accepting other religions. Midgard is more pagan-ish, Nemor is more based on paganism from nameless forgotten gods, and Ishtan is something like pre-islam arabic mythology. Despite this, Ruvelianism is still #1.

They are in control of a full country- Liseria. They hold a lot of power, and one of the highest advisors to the king is like a cardinal. I'd say it's similar in Nantenland and Galgoroth, but not Nemor. Nemor follows an old religion that not many people understand- even them. They mainly just pray to 'the gods', having forgotten most of the details. Nemor has their priests and priestesses of all types, but they don't hold much actual power in the decisions of state.

@Komasan I will keep you in mind if I don't get responses from people soon enough in the OOC i will be starting soon

Have no questions as of now, just seeing what everyone else asks. But yeah, I'm still in.

@Spectre - I was really impressed with the questions @Maniacal Magpie asked about Nantenland and Nemor, and was curious as to whether you had a similar depth of information for both Galgaroth and Midgard in regards to the first question about the ruling family, attitude of the people towards them, etc. Anything you could elaborate on with those two countries would be a big help. I'm bouncing between those two in terms of character origin and I'm hoping more info will help me decide which one to go with. But of course don't spill anything you wish to keep secret for now. ;)

• Thank You
Reactions: Spectre
@Spectre - I was really impressed with the questions @Maniacal Magpie asked about Nantenland and Nemor, and was curious as to whether you had a similar depth of information for both Galgaroth and Midgard in regards to the first question about the ruling family, attitude of the people towards them, etc. Anything you could elaborate on with those two countries would be a big help. I'm bouncing between those two in terms of character origin and I'm hoping more info will help me decide which one to go with. But of course don't spill anything you wish to keep secret for now. ;)
Ab So Lutely have information!

• Midgard- Run for the last several generations by the Vargen clan, currently lead by Kjaren Vargen. They have many loyal allied clans, and the country is sort of split in half. Half the clans follow the Vargen family, and the others are following with the O'Shannoc clan. There is some history of betrayal back around the fifty years war that lead to this, but there hasn't been open violence in a generation or more. They will work together in matters of the nation, but matters of the state, they are pretty divided. The Vargen clan hold a respectful reign, honor, tradition, and are hard working. The common folk usually serve the landowners here, and are sometimes even slaves kept for bargaining, or taken from raids. Mostly they are just small-folk tending the farms and fisheries. They have a very strong naval presence. Lord Kjaren is a red blooded one, but he is smart about it. He has a businessman's mind, and a berserker's body. He rewards loyalty, and honor, so those around him are usually pretty noble. --- It is worth noting again, that this is the country that is being the hardest hit by the hoardes of evil. They are pushed back nearly to the main castle on the island in the mountains...
  • Galgaroth- Think something akin to France and Germany. This is lead by one of the oldest families in the continent- the Galgaroth family. This is currently held by a younger lord- Alaster Galgaroth- of only about twenty years of age. He is young, but well meaning. He's smart, and capable - but inexperienced. His lord father was killed in a fire, and it is unsure if it was bandits, commoners, the encroaching monster hoarde, or the forgotten brigade. This is the richest seat in the kingdoms. There is some class disparity here as you'd imagine. Lots of knights and soldiers came back to nothing after the war, so there's some unrest. It is rumored the Forgotten Brigade was started here, but no one really knows. Galgaroth, despite what it may seem, is fairly generous in both providing aide and money to neighbors. Especially the Capial city.. The nobility here is very well off. Even a few of their bannermen are as well off as a few of the other lords around. The smallfolk and commoners are typical. Some are happy to even be working the fields, where others can be a bit jealous.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks a lot! That helped quite a bit, and I'll be working on my character sheet over the next couple days. I'll send the finished CS to you through PM for your approval before posting it in the OOC, since some of the history and details need your thumbs up. :)

Thanks a lot! That helped quite a bit, and I'll be working on my character sheet over the next couple days. I'll send the finished CS to you through PM for your approval before posting it in the OOC, since some of the history and details need your thumbs up. :)

Glad to have been of service. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.