Log Horizon: A Different Story

Yuna, orange
Yuna watched as Ran looked through his menu from the top of the tree monster. She noticed from above that he had some skills that did not apply to the summoner class. She wondered why for a few seconds before she realized, it was his race. The Fox Tail race is one of the less common races in the game due to the fact that when leveling up, they have a possibility of losing a class skill for another class's. Yuna was thinking about choosing this race due to the fact that they had tails and ears they could hide when wanted. "Ahh. I forgot your race was the Fox Tail race. Where are your tails? I want to see them." Yuna energetically spoke from above. She made it sound like she wanted to observe them. In truth, she just wanted to poke at the tails.

Yuna was resting calmly on the top of the tree monster she finally warmed up to when the terra cotta army was saddened. "Wow! They are cool. I wish my class was able to summon servants." Yuna complained as she rolled onto her back. As she was trying to relax, she felt the monster starting to rumble. As a result, she jumped from the top of the monster and onto the ground near Ran. "Let me know next time this tree monster starts to change." Yuna said as her familiarity with the tree summon slowly disappeared.

When Yuna and Ran arrived at the place that the new type spawns, it was empty. "Somebody beat the monster before us." Yuna spoke with a disappointed tone. She was secretly hoping to be the first to defeat the new monster. "Guess I shouldn't have wasted time kicking you off a tree," Yuna said to Ran. "Oh well! Guess we can plan while it respawns."

Yuna walked into the forest, not to far away from the respawn point, so they can plan without raising aggro. "Do you have anything in mind on how to beat this monster?"

Ran, #008B8B
"My tails? They're hidden of course!" He was already embarrassed enough with his character, to have fox ears and tails showing would have been too much for him to handle. He had always had them hidden though, choosing the race for its rather high base mana pool than its cosmetic appeal.

Arriving at the supposed location, Ran was dejected to find out it was barren. "Gaah! I wanted to fight it first!" He started to stomp the ground in annoyance, like a child throwing a tantrum. "Guess we'll have to wait until it respawns." As they walked away from the respawn zone to avoid aggro, Ran had the summoned soldiers keep watch to let them know when it was time to strike.

"Hmm..." He placed a hand under his chin. "I'm not too sure. We don't even know what it looks like besides the fact that it might resemble water." He was saving his last four summons to be something that would be good against it, but he would need to see it first. "I was planing on having my summons attack the monster so we could observe it's movements and attack patterns. This way we can learn as much a we can in one fight."

Yuna, orange
"That sounds good. I'll just stick to the shadows until the time to strike. If I don't kill it after my strike, then I need your summons to help me escape." Yuna replied. Yuna's build is based off having a high DPS, and her fighting tactics rely on that too. Usually, she kills them when she shows herself. If she comes out of the shadows and doesn't manage to kill them, then she would need help to go back.

Yuna heard Ran's soldiers reacting not too far from them. This meant the monster respawned. "Guess it's time to put it into action." Yuna said before running into more of the forest. While running, Yuna looked at the monster. It looked like a big flan made out of water. "I could go for a flan right now," Yuna thought. It didn't help that the game they were in didn't include tasty food. When Yuna arrived at an ideal postion, she climbed the trees and watched the summoner do his thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran, #008B8B
Ran followed behind to his soldiers as they approached the monster. Being a summoner class leaves him with little health to do any actual fighting, but that wasn't where the class's strength was. This definitely looks like a water monster, a tasty one at that. An idea formed in his head and he began to summon his final three monster for now.

"Summon Servants: Salamander!" Four fires had burst around Ran as four fire elementals appeared from the flames. He had reached his cap for summonable monsters, to make any more his older ones would have to get defeated. "Alright, lets start the operation!" He yelled as he began to mentally control his summons.

The Ent stood back as the seven terra cotta soldiers began to engage the Flan. Four of them took turns drawing its aggro as the other three pelted the beast with arrows. Ran had the Salamanders take a ranged approached as they shot fire at the Flan's base, slowly causing it to shrink.

The monster wasn't just standing there taking the punishment, however. It shot eight water like tentacles from all sides and began to break the terra cotta soldier like the pieces of hardened earth they are. The Ent moved over to Ran and began to block any tentacles aimed for him. The summoner was busy casting small summon only healing spells while he re-summoned the soldiers that fell in battle. He took notice of the little damage being done to it, it had to be resistant to fire, which he figured, but also to conventional weaponry. He communicated this to Yuna via telecommunication through chat. "I don't think normal sword strikes will do much, so make sure to hit that thing twice as hard!"

Yuna, orange
"I don't think normal sword strikes will do much, so make sure to hit that thing twice as hard!" Yuna heard from the other side of the line. It didn't help that the monster halved the damage done by a blade.She groaned, and opened up her skills list. Yuna scrolled down her skills list to find anything that didn't just attack with a sword. Most of the assassin class skills were based around blades unless you had a ranged weapon which Yuna doesn't. Just like with the appearance changing potion, she sold all the ranged weapons she ever got immediately.

While Yuna was scrolling, she stumbled across some attacks that had a poison side effect. Yuna looked at it wondering if to mention it to Ran. Yuna didn't know if poison would work on water monsters. Even so, it was one of the things that could help end the battle quicker, and with the less damage done. "Ran, do you have any summons that can test poison on the monster? I have one or two skills here that aren't just blade attacks."

Ran, #008B8B
"Ran, do you have any summons that can test poison on the monster? I have one or two skills here that aren't just blade attacks."

Ran began to frantically check through his summons to find something. He didn't actually remember what half of the creatures were since they never played a big role in soloing or raids. But he did know a bit about animals, and knew this summon had a good chance of being what he wanted. As one of his soldiers broke due to the monster tentacles, Ran prepared a different spell.

"Summon Swarm: Cobras!" From under his sleeve poured multiple cobras. While there were many, they all shared the same health pool and counted as one monster. the snakes started to bite the monster, causing poison damage. It was a relatively low level summon, but Ran did notice they were doing full damage. Looking at his lowering mana pool, he spoke in a worried tone, "It's not too strong, but the poison is going through okay, so hurry!"

Yuna, orange
Yuna watched as Ran summoned Cobras. It was gross that they came from under his sleeve which cause Yuna to gag a little, but at least the snakes was able to confirm that the giant flan was weak to poison. "It's not too strong, but the poison is going through okay, so hurry!" Ran said which was Yuna's cue to start attacking.

Yuna dashed from the little area she was hidden at, and unsheathed her swords. "Venom Strike" Yuna said was she started with her first attack. "Death Stinger" She said with her second attack. After the second one, she was about to use Poison Fog, but stopped mid-way due to the fact that she remembered that it damages allies as well as enemies. That was not worth it for this battle. She managed to take out half his HP, and the poison was slowly draining him. The poison wasn't fast enough so they couldn't wait out his death.

Due to the abrupt stop, the tentacle almost landed on her, but she was able to move with speed thanks to her tracker class. She looked back at her skills, but they were all still cooling down. "Ran, I'm going to let my skills cooldown. You think you can draw his aggro while I hide for a little bit." Yuna said through telecommunication while he ran to a different spot. She could've used one of her skills to help her escape, but she was saving it for an emergency.

Ran, #008B8B
"Sure thing, just you watch!" He stopped summoning more creatures as he began to chug a mana potion, his next step of his plan was going to be a doozy. As his terra cotta summons started to get destroyed along with his snake swarm, he began to prepare yet a even new spell.

"Summon Servant: Golem!"

He repeated this spell four additional times as faceless beings made of steel arose from the ground. With this his mana pool had about only one-fourth of its remaining mana available. These summons were a great staple soloing summoning, a summonable tank. The pages on his book began to flip as he began to cast another spell.

"Guardian Fist!" Three of the golems created a wall with their hands to protect Yuna from any damage. The other golems ran and grappled the flan from all sides to prevent movement. His salamanders from far away continued to slowly but surely evaporate the creature with repeated blasts. "There, that should be enough to at least get you away!" He yelled while auto attacking with his grimoire by shooting small skulls.

Yuna, orange
Yuna continued moving behind the hands while using her tracker subclass to keep her steps quiet. She managed to get back into the forest while only taking a few points of damage. "Good work, Ran" Yuna said while her left hand was held at her ear.

"I'll be able to finish him off with the next strike, for sure, so continue to hold him off." Yuna took her other available hand and opened her skills list to look at the cooldowns. She sighed due to the fact that the timers seemed like it was taking forever to tick down. "It'll take a while. Good luck out there!"

Ran, #008B8B
Ran took a glance at his mana pool. "Well for your sake and mine, we better hope that your next strike will finish it off." Looking back at the monster, it was about time for him to start the final step of his plan. Ran held onto his mana and stopped casting spells, causing his golems to slowly die one after another. I should have enough mana for about three of those summons. Going by the monster size now, it might be enough now. The Flan monster was shrinking, and by now it was at about a little more than one-half of its original size.

"Alright, it's now or never!" Ran personally ran towards the monster, getting in range for his next spells. His remaining two golems were already preoccupied with tentacles however, and the Flan shot another one out and shot towards Ran. Hitting him in the stomach, it brought him into the air as the tentacle coiled around him. It took Ran closer and closer to the Flan to eat him, but it also brought him right into the range he needed to be in.

"Summon Follower: Ent!" He chanted three times. Much like the first summoning, they began to spout from the ground. This time however, he aimed for them to sprout from under the monster. As the trees grew, they flung the Flan into the air. As it flew, it rippled in the air and allowed the monsters blindspot, the under belly, to be an easy target. As it reached it's highest point, it began to tip sideways, leaving its underside to face right at Yuna.

Yuna, orange
Venom Strike was now cooled down and was ready to use. Death Stinger had more than a few seconds until it was ready to use again. Yuna wasn't able to do anything for now, which sort of made her a bit restless. She still managed not to do anything reckless as she watched over Ran, and the battle.​

As soon as the tentacle wrapped around Ran, Yuna was ready to start moving. She restrained herself after moving a few centimeters while Death Stinger was still cooling. "Hurry up." She complained to herself as her impatience increased. She wanted to help Ran. From her point of view, Ran was quietly freaking out because he was afraid of heights rather than actually trying to summon one of his summons. Yuna quickly check back at her timer to see when she can help Ran.

Death Stinger was finally ready. Yuna looked back at where Ran and the flan was to see it in the air. "Opportunity!" Yuna cried out as she leaped into the air with a smile, and used Venom Strike. While she was still in the air, she used Death Stinger as well. Yuna landed back on the ground where she was before, and the flan fell back to the ground, taking fall damage. Yuna looked behind her to see it still have 23 HP left. Yuna used the move Sweeper in order to get rid of it once and for all.

A rewards screen opened in front of Yuna. She obtained 13,000 gold and a sniper rifle with a poison status effected added to it. "Aww. I got a rifle. I need to sell this. What did you get?" Yuna asked Ran, while she turned around to look at him.​

Ran, #008B8B
From about the moment the Flan was launched into the air, Ran's mind was blank. Launching the monster was part of the plan, but being with it during its airtime? That was something he didn't think of. While whiting out, he was sure he could hear a woman's voice shouting things.

By the time Ran came to, he found himself laying on the ground staring at the sky. He heard Yuna talking about loot. "Ah... let me check." He tried to focus his eyes on the rewards screen in front of him. "I got... a dagger, I think." It definitely looked like one, but he wasn't so sure. Beyond that he had obtained 13,000 gold as well, that and some new reasons on why he hates heights.

Yuna, orange
"I got... a dagger, I think." Ran answered. Yuna sighed. They did all that work for stuff they were just going to see anyways. Maybe she could use that money just to buy a new pair of long swords. "So we just got useless stuff. Guess we have to sell it." Yuna said before she opened her map. To the east was Shibuya and Akihabara was west. Akihabara was still a lot closer than Shibuya, and it might best to replenish her stock before she tries to head to Shibuya.

Yuna closed her map, and looked at Ran. "I'm going to Akihabara now. Do you still want to accompany me?" Yuna asked. Ran has now fulfilled her wish. She doesn't need to stay with him anymore, but she wouldn't mind if he became her little tag along.

Ran, #008B8B
"Well I wouldn't say useless, money is money after all." Back to his senses one hundred percent, Ran looked back on the items he got. It would have been a lot better if they would have gotten some flan as a drop. Then again there is no taste to anything in this world, so maybe it was blessing in disguise.

"I'm going to Akihabara now. Do you still want to accompany me?" Yuna asked. Ran had no real reason to follow her, but also no reason not to follow her. He also didn't really want to have other people find out he was stuck in a child's body, so there were actually more reasons to stay than not. "Sure, I'll follow you. If you get in another fight, who else is going to distract them while you hide?" He joked. Ran picked himself off the ground, unaware that he dropped appearance cloaking spell. His black fox ears began to twitch and his eight tails swayed with the light cool breeze. Feeling the new sensations but unaware of what they are, he only asked. "Is it me or is it colder than it just was?"

Yuna, orange
"Sure, I'll follow you. If you get in another fight, who else is going to distract them while you hide?" Ran said. He followed her through her first battle, and now he is going to keep being by her side for as long as her wants. Sounds like a partner in a team to Yuna. "Cool! We're a team then." Yuna spoke. She watched Ran stand up. His black ears, and eight matching fox tails appeared. The tails were swaying in the breeze. "Is it me or is it colder than it just was?" Yuna started smiling like a dumb clown. She was going to perform a few tests on Ran to settle her curiousity she had about tails.

Yuna dashed behind Ran, and then started poking all eight of his tails. "They are real!" She yelled while watching the tails react. Her faced had a surprised look. Maybe she was expecting it to just be an image since this was a game after all. Yuna then went on to his ears and pulled them so they hurt for a few seconds. After seeing Ran's reaction, she started petting them down. "It's so hard to believe that you are older than me. Your fox tails just make you look more child-like and more adorable than before," Yuna spoke as she continued petting them down.

Ran, #008B8B
When Yuna smiled as wide as she did, Ran knew something was wrong. Wait a minute. When she dashed behind him, he became even more worried. Don't tell me- When she began to poke and touch at his tails, he figured it out. The spell had cancelled out sometime while he was whiting out!

"H-Hey! What are you- ow! Stop that!" She began to pull on his new found ears. Ran moved his hands over them in an attempt to hide them. "It's so hard to believe that you are older than me. Your fox tails just make you look more child-like and more adorable than before," He grabbed onto a few of his tails as she began to pet him. Hiding his now red face, he made a small opening between his tails so he could speak. "Hey, remember that I am older than you, child-like or not!" The petting didn't stop. "Jeez! Let's just go to Akihabara already!"

Yuna, orange
"Jeez! Let's just go to Akihabara already!" Ran spoke. Yuna was still petting him. Ran was soft as the Husky puppy she had back at home. "Just a few more seconds." Yuna said as she continued to pet him. After a few seconds of forcibly petting him, Yuna finally stopped. Strangely, she felt a bit happier after bullying him. Maybe because she found a new button to push or because she was reminded of her puppy.

"Alrighty, to Akihabara!" Yuna shouted. Yuna's happiness started to morph into uncomfortableness. She felt like someone or something was looking at her. Yuna looked behind her to see the giant flan respawn again. She wasn't going to fight the thing again for another lame rifle. "Good luck with that!" Yuna yelled to Ran as she started teleporting through the tree branches. Periodically looking behind her for the giant flan.

Halfway to Akihabara, Yuna stopped her hasty escape to catch her breath. She was pretty sure that the flan was done trying to chase them with it's disturbing tentacles, and it's large body. 'I feel like I'm forgetting something' Yuna thought. After a while of thought, Yuna realized that they short fox child man wasn't near her. She forgot about him while she was trying her best not to end up fighting the flan again.

Yuna cupped her hands around her mouth, and took a deep breath in. "Ran! Ran! Raaaaaaaaaaan!" Yuna yelled while walking around the general area she began in.

Ran, #008B8B
Ran let himself be petted, as embarrassing as it was. As they were about to leave however, Yuna yelled out to him before teleporting away. "Huh, what did you say-" He turned around and saw the monster again. "Shoot, it respawned already?" It should have been obvious, typically during the beginning of expansions the monster spawn rate was made really low to ensure more people can do the quest per day. He could get mad at Yuna for leaving him later, first he had to escape himself!

Ran began to ran as he started casting a spell. "Summon Servant: Riding Horse!" He got onto the horse as he began to make his retreat. The flan however, had already aggro'd onto him and shot out a tentacle to grab him. Pulling him off his horse like it was a claw machine game, Ran was now abandoned by both horse and Yuna. This could be used to his advantage however, as he had a spell for situations just like this. Allowing his health to lower so the horse can get farther away, he waited for it to reach right before the end of its range.

"Creature Swap!" Ran was engulfed in a blinding white light for about a second. Next thing he knew, he was flying in the middle of the air, about a foot or two from the ground. The horse was probably mid-jump when he cast his spell. "Waaah!" He hit the ground face first as he began to tumble along the ground. Eventually, he was stopped by a tree hollow. While this stopped his tumbling, he now found himself stuck inside of it, with only his lower half sticking out.

"Is there anyone around? Someone? Anyone? I could use a hand!" Ran yelled, hoping for someone to hear him.

Yuna, orange
"Raaaaaaaan! Raaaaaaaan!" Yuna continued to call out. This was one of those moments where she wished Ran was a bit taller and bigger so he was easy to find. 'Grrr' Yuna heard from behind her. It was 2 low level wolves with 200 HP each. Yuna looked at them with a strange look. "You aren't Ran." She obviously started before slashing through them with her swords using the Sweeper skill, which is usually used for getting rid of left over enemies or left over HP.

After getting rid of the enemies, Yuna continued to search for Ran. "Raaaaaa-" Yuna was cut off because she ended up tripping over something. Yuna looked behind her to see what tripped her, and it was a bunch of black tails poking out. She picked herself off the ground and dusted off her shorts before crouching down to poke at the tails. After seeing a reaction from the tails, Yuna realized it was Ran.

Yuna smirked a little before getting up from her crouching position. "Alrighty, Ran. Don't move too much. We don't want those ears to be chopped off, do we?" Yuna said while unsheathing one of her swords. She then cut the tree in half horizontally close to Ran's head purposely, just to freak him out. "Timber!" She yelled while it fell to the side. Afterwards, she cut off half of the hole Ran was stuck in so he could easily roll out. "Want to give thanks?" Yuna asked when Ran finally got himself out.

Ran, #008B8B
"Ow!" Ran yelled after Yuna tripped over his tails. He was a little curious in how she was going to get him out, maybe by pulling hard? Of course not, and Ran yelled some more as she cut down the tree down from very close to his head. "Want to give thanks?" Yuna asked.

"Give thanks? For leaving me to that flan? For almost cutting my head off right now?" He whined. Ran's tail hairs stood at end with his anger, his fox ears showed similar signs. "Couldn't you have like carried me out of there?" It was embarrassing to admit she probably could, but it was an option. "I mean, this wouldn't have happened in the first place if you didn't leave me alone like that." After his little tantrum, he calmed down a little, showing in his tails returning back to normal. "Still, you did help me out right now, so..." His fox ears folded down. "Thanks."