Living In Dark Times.

"Are you ok?" he asked as he led her to the bed. "I was doubtful." He looked into her eyes. "I know this must be a lot to swallow. Hell I'm still wondering if this some weird dream or not. But if this is a dream. I-I'm not sure if I wanna wake up." He looked around nervously. He was trying to explain everything but not only to her but also to himself. "When I first saw you. There was something about you that made me wanna change. I didn't realize it at first but now I know what it is." He sighed real heavily. "I know I don't even know you and we're races but I love you." At first he wasn't sure if he did but when he said it he felt right and he knew it was true.

Nervously, Olira sat on the edge of the bed as Jacob explained his thoughts. She listened silently, nodding occasionally. As he said his last three words, tears came to her eyes, and she brushed at them impatiently. "No one has ever said those words to me." She whispers softly, her voice catching. Locking her gaze with his, she says, "I believed that I could never love anyone. But then, you and your soldiers arrived in the town, and changed the lives of everyone here. And I've found the ability to share your feelings. Jacob...I love you, too." Her last words lower to a whisper, and she looks down, not knowing if they were the right words, but knowing in her heart that they were.

A huge relief swept through him as she finished her last sentence. He smiled and leaned in to kiss her. But the unthinkable happened. Three armed soldiers stormed in. They didn't say nothing they just started swinging their weapons trying to kill Jacob and Olira. He pushed Olira off the bed while sword came crashing down into the spot she was at. Jacob punched him in the gut causing to kneel over. He then took his sword and hit him real hard in the back of the head, knocking him unconscious. Jacob barely had time to parry the next blow that was aimed at his chest. The man thrusted his sword again. Jacob grabbed the man's wrist and pulled him closer and head butted him also knocking him unconscious. The third soldier was right Jacob about to give a life ending thrust into Jacob's back.

As Jacob pushed her out of the way, Olira squeezed her eyes shut, not noticing she was safe until she was already on the ground. In horror, she watched Jacob fight the two men, screaming as the last remaining man was about to kill Jacob. Standing up, not knowing what she was doing, she moved in front of his back, preparing to defend him with her own life. Determination sparkled in her eyes, but he was secretly afraid. Shaking the fear away, she stared at the weapon, accepting her fate.

He heard the sound of metal penetrating through flesh at first he thought it was him. But he turned and saw a sword sticking out of her stomach. Fear and anger coursed through his body. He was in a world of darkness. He screamed as he swung his sword at a horizontal arc cutting the third soldier's head off. He didn't want to kill any of his former soldiers but seeing his loved one that was all forgotten. He caught her in his arms and cradled her there. The sword in her felled out as the soldier's body fell to the floor. Tears flooded his eyes he screamed in anger. "Why?" He laid her down on the bed and began checking and bandaging the wound. It would be a close call as far as he could tell the sword missed her organs. But only time would tell. More soldiers would be coming he had to get her out of her. He picked her up and carried her in his arms to the stable outside.

"Because, Jacob, I love you." Olira said, her voice barely above a whisper. The pain was unbearable, and it took all she had to keep from crying out. She let him worry over her, while she squeezed her eyes shut and gritted her teeth in pain. Reaching up, she brushed away a tear that had escaped from Jacob's eyes. As he picked her up, she winced in pain, but still didn't cry out. She allowed him to carry her to the stablre,the cool night air drying her tears.