Literal Or Jokester?

A

Alexa Ray

Original poster
This really peaked my curiosity because my brother and I have completely different ways of handling situations, discussions, and really, because I'm the literal person and he's a jokester, we have many miscommunications. I'm curious, whether it be a family member, a friend, or even a coworker, what is it like for daily communication with that person a complete opposite of you or the same? Are you the literal person or a complete jokester? What are ways you solve problems and situations without making the other person be offended/rude about what you say?

Jokester.

Comedy in general takes more skill with timing and delivery than drama. As such, the Jokester perhaps can manipulate the emotional battlefield of a conversation a touch easier than the Literalist.

I'm in between. If I know a person well enough to know they can take jokes, i'll be a jokester with them. I'll be quite normal around a person I just met or don't know very well because idk how their humor will be. When a situation comes where joking is not acceptable then I follow it. I know how to separate the jokes from the seriousness.

A solution would be to get to know the person well and see if they can take jokes. If not then don't joke around with them like that.

I'm a little bit of both, really. It depends on the situation, the person, and how I feel about it in general.

Reactions: LunaValentine
A solution would be to get to know the person well and see if they can take jokes. If not then don't joke around with them like that.
Do you have any solutions to suggest for siblings? My brother is younger than me and he often jokes about every little thing, careless about whatever the situation is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an older brother that's so serious looking and speaking that when he makes jokes.....it just sounds mean......it's caused quite the rift between us before.

Do you have any solutions to suggest for siblings? My brother is younger than me and he often jokes about every little thing, careless about whatever the situation is.

I mean it really depends to be honest. If your brother is just a little kid then it's expected since kids can't comprehend or don't understand what's going on or the serioussness so you have to teach them. If he's a little older than that as in a teen or something, then you can talk to him about why it's wrong to joke about that and explain to him exactly what he's joking about.

I remmember I was the same way and my brothers would tell me not to laugh because it was bad. Lets say it was a deadly disease or something, they would say something like "That's not funny. People actually die from that." I would know not to joke and it would actually make me curious and want to know more about it.

I mean it really depends to be honest. If your brother is just a little kid then it's expected since kids can't comprehend or don't understand what's going on or the serioussness so you have to teach them. If he's a little older than that as in a teen or something, then you can talk to him about why it's wrong to joke about that and explain to him exactly what he's joking about.

Okay, thank you! :)

Reactions: GhostJoker