Listen To My Elevator Pitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

☆Luna☆

So, I forgot about an assignment I was supposed to do over the long weekend, and I need at least 5 people to give me feedback. Rather than running out late at night asking strangers, I figured Iwaku could help me out with my homework. Here is what I need you to do...

First, I need you to tell me what sort of product a "SomniVac" might be based strictly on the name.

Next, listen to my elevator pitch. (An elevator pitch is a brief statement designed to rapidly hook a potential investor on a product) Tell me if I clearly communicated what I have, what it does, and why you should care.

SomniVac makes quiet vacuums for homeowners. They are so quiet, you can use them while your child sleeps.

Lastly, please ask me whatever question first pops up in your mind after listening to the elevator pitch.

And thanks in advance for helping me with my homework!

First, I need you to tell me what sort of product a "SomniVac" might be based strictly on the name.
I thought it might be something like a CPAP machine, since 'somni' usually has something to do with sleep.

Next, listen to my elevator pitch. (An elevator pitch is a brief statement designed to rapidly hook a potential investor on a product) Tell me if I clearly communicated what I have, what it does, and why you should care.
I feel that you've clearly communicated all of these things.

Lastly, please ask me whatever question first pops up in your mind after listening to the elevator pitch.
Who wants to vacuum while their kids sleep? I'm not a parent so I guess I don't know if that's a common thing (I guess if they're napping you could want to get some chores done?)

• Thank You
Reactions: ☆Luna☆
-I'm not familiar with the word 'Somni" but Vac made me think it was some sort of vacuum.

Next, listen to my elevator pitch. Tell me if I clearly communicated what I have, what it does, and why you should care.
-
Your pitch is very clear and gets the message across.

-
How does it work?

• Thank You
I also thought it was some type of cpap machine.

You were very clear and addressed everything you should have.

How well does the vacuum work?

• Thank You
SomniVac? Is it some sort of dream-catcher or nocturnal asphyxiation device? A machine to extract the need for sleep from people so they can go without?

Ah! Super quiet vacuum, that's interesting. The pitch is very clear and to the point.

I'd love to hear more about the engineering behind SomniVac, most vacuums emphasize power over quietness...

So, combining these with the one I got over Skype, I've gotten enough feedback. From this, I can tell that my pitch itself seems to be catching people's attention, the root "Somni" which I hoped would sound quiet and peaceful was a more recognisable root than I gave it credit for. Honestly, it surprised me how many people even knew what a c-pap device was. I'll have to brainstorm something else that sounds both soothing and snappy.

Now, I might as well answer your questions.

Who wants to vacuum while their kids sleep? I'm not a parent so I guess I don't know if that's a common thing (I guess if they're napping you could want to get some chores done?)
Not everyone, and I don't think it is the point either. That line was put there mostly to quickly demonstrate how quiet the vacuum was without missing a beat. I figured the best way to attract someone's attention was the idea of vacuuming as someone sleeps. It sounds absurd, but just tame enough to be believable.

How does it work?

I'm not sure yet. It doesn't exist yet. I think you'll be interested in seeing how I answer the next question however.

How well does the vacuum work?

Although I'm not sure how it will compare to normal vacuums, this vacuum is basically trying to solve the fundamental reason why quiet vacuums have failed in the past. You see, most quiet vacuums have failed in the past because of a lack of commercial viability. Generally speaking, they are heavy and expensive, and people don't feel like they are as powerful. After all, we don't have much in the way of confirmation that the vacuum is indeed sucking forcefully. In fact, many vacuums are actually artificially made louder just to satisfy the consumer. This is why the SomniVac will be a smart vacuum, actively displaying how much it is sucking up through visuals displayed near the grip. It is basically a smart vacuum.

I'd love to hear more about the engineering behind SomniVac, most vacuums emphasize power over quietness...

Yeah, I would too. This is just a concept to make such a vacuum seem commercially viable so that I can get the initial buy-in.

Reactions: Shiri
An all purpose device for cleaning through the power of suction.

This awkward wording is the first I thought of but it amused me enough to leave it up.

SomniVac makes quiet vacuums for homeowners. They are so quiet, you can use them while your child sleeps.
Good: You do a good job of addressing a need with this, rather than just promoting a product. Which is a long lost marketing 101.

Do take note though, that this example resonates better with a certain demographic, ie parents, than it would with a a drunk college student wanting to clean some afterparty shit up before collapsing at 4AM.

Area for improvement: Double information. You can say "SomniVac vacuums are so quiet, you can use them while your child sleeps." Without leaving out any information, because both your sentences say essentially the same. Unless homeowner refers to a certain wealth standard in order to buy it, but when you combine that with parent, guess which identity will overrule the other. The elevator pitch is always concise and focuses on one core message and makes that one thing come out as strongly as it possibly can.

If there are multiple selling points, it's probably best to make multiple elevator pitches and use the one best fit for the situation or audience.

I personally have no need for a silent vacuum, so there is no insta-pop question. If I were however, it'd probably be either "Does it work as advertised?" or "How does it work?"

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Something related to Vaccums? I have no idea how to identify Somni (without Google, which for this might be cheating), so all I can go by is Vac.

It's a silent vaccum, so that parts been communicated fine. It does raise some questions and concerns though, but that's probably more relevant below.
Is this quietness a trade-off for something? Higher cost? Less Sucking power? Can't store much dust? Does it clog easy?

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.