Life under Her Majesty's Tyranny

Cadmar stands and though he did not look it from the thrown he was 5'10, almost bigger than her tallest guards. "I apologize for bring my hardships on your court." he says now a bit more worried but still not showing it. The king never stood and approached me before... what could this mean? He looked at the ground, a peasant was not aloud to look Royalty in they eye unless permitted to or in a rare situation that would require it, such as begging for mercy, or being a servant, sometimes even being a high ranking guard. She was so close to him that he could feel her breath on his bare chest. Though her breath was warm her eyes were cold. The combination of the two were balenced neither overpowering the other...

He felt something was wrong, whether it was the fact the princess had come so close or the guards were so on edge or even the poisonous tone, he didn't know. He concentrated on the floor, trying to keep his eyes from wondering to hers. It is said the eyes are the gate way to one's soul, and he was not about to look into a royal one... He was to afraid of what he might find.

Vince awoke. . . confused. What time was it? There were bright lights shining into his room which meant--he had slept in. That was bad, in his opinion. He couldn't just sleep while his older sister, by quite a few years, destroyed their kingdom. Vince had never been a very serious child. He was a prankster; he would likely have the position of the jester if not for the fact that he came from royal blood. Vince was still a teenager at sixteen years old. He was pretty sure that his father was still debating what princess he would be marrying in two years so that his sister would have even more rule over the world that they lived in.

Vince might not act like royalty but he had the looks. He was quite handsome and he dressed well; mostly because he didn't pick out his own clothes.

He got ready in a rush, hurrying down the stairs to make sure that his older sister hadn't killed anyone yet.

((I'm new here so please tell me if I did anything wrong.))

(( [MENTION=3613]Insanity[/MENTION] Welcome! =) Not at all, that was a great post!))

The princess, not as tall as he but tall enough to be imposing at 5'7", standing barely an inch from his frail frame, her breath cascading down onto his skin, bears another devilish grin. She reaches out and cups Cadmar's unshaven chin in the palm of her hand. She tilts his head upward. Enough so that their eyes meet. Enough so that her's can gobble his up. Enough for her icy soul to pour through her crystalline windows and into his.

"I'm sorry, Cadmar," she says, trying her best to sound sympathetic but only adding cold mockery to her sharp words, "I know you're a good, honest man... Father liked you dearly, and so do I, never forget that... but this month we really need those coins, I'm afraid."

She brings her free hand up to her chest, fanning her fingers across her bosom. She inhales sharply.

"Unless you can bring me your remaining debt by the end of the day..." she trails off, giddy at the horror she knows he's hiding, "... I'm afraid the law will not stand to have you duck out of another payment."

Varya can see the eyes of onlookers widen in terror. Never before had even they been witness to the crown rejecting an offer made by Cadmar. The feeling invigorates Varya, though, and with their eyes upon her she tilts her head up to meet his. For a moment they almost appear to be kissing... until she pulls her lips up to his ear and whispers so that only the two of them could hear her next threat.

"You do know what the punishment is... don't you?" she laughs.

"Yes my Lady." he said calmly but only so load that it came out as a whisper. His breath smelled of mint because he would take a couple of leaves from a mint leaf plant that grew on the side of the road. He had started to sweet a little and knew he would either be her subject for the rest of his years or... she would have him hung. He had no way of getting 12 gold coins, and even that amount was large, most peasants felt lucky to get 1 silver coin a day, what Cadmar did was remarkable, but not even he could make that much. He averaged about 2 gold coins a day and he didn't know what he was going to do.

He stood where he was, hid eyes locked into hers, his body week now and his posture lessened... slightly. He felt the world would be ending soon, he welcomed that idea. It would be better than leaving his two sisters to fend for themselves, they would have to work as house maids and hope to get an employer who would house, feed, and cloth them... that was rare and normally came with a royal, or a man who would dishonor them. He worried for the future of his family.

He wouldn't beg for mercy now however, he must at least try. He would get the coins, in time... perhaps with a bounty, or local jobs that need an extra hand. He would do whatever it takes! Nothing would stop him, he must do it for his family, they needed him.

He waited for her to dismiss him, he would not dare make a move with the queen literally breathing down his neck. If he made any such move one of the guards would surly kill him. For all they knew he could have been attacking the queen. He gulp as he waited trying to moisten his throat which was now dry. He felt his hand shaking ever so lightly that it would be unnoticed unless they were deliberately looking for it. He now stood in wait for the simple gesture or command that would signal him to leave.

Altenna, the beautiful court magician serving under her Lady Varya stood off to the side of the golden encrusted throne. She watched the whole situation play out clearly amused, her arms were crossed lightly and she leaned off onto one leg. This wasn't exactly the most proper stature for a lady of the court but it didn't mattered much to her.

In contrast of her unlady-like stature, Altenna wore a long blue coat with golden details that bordered the edges with elegant curls and waves. Her white hair was cut short and barely reached her shoulder but still showed off her femininity in a elegant way. She wore other expensive jewelry along with a silver circlet with its focal point being a sapphire and a similar necklace that laid on her slightly exposed breasts, both of them being gifts from her old friend, Princess Varya.

They went all the way back to when the both of them were taught the ways of a court Lady. Varya being the King's daughter and Altenna being the child of a noble, Altenna was always the wild-child who seemed quite like a tomboy but she managed to suppress it long enough for their mentor to accept it. But she found a friend in Vayra and was inseparable since.

However throughout the recent years, Altenna simply followed Vayra to all of her public appearance dates (which she thought was boring very much like the Vayra) as her loyal retainer.

But she especially didn't feel that today, her best-friend is now the Queen! The strongest lady in the land, maybe even strongest in all lands. Altenna felt honored that she served Vayra and she felt happy to be friends with her as well.

(Okie Dokie. Thats mine. Hope its fine that she's friends with Vayra, Yuurei!)

"I'll pay for him, then," Vince partially growled, his dark hair still somewhat ruffled from sleep as he stood just under the doorframe. Vince was--annoyed at his sister to say the least, "He's a good man and father wouldn't want anything bad to happen to him."

He wasn't sure of that would work, of course. His sister could easily deny him plus she controlled his allowance right then, but. . . He had small hopes that she wouldn't. Vince knew that he could at least keep the man from being hung, if nothing else.

Vince wasn't a hero; he tried to help in whatever ways he could, though. He wasn't quite sure if it would make a difference in the long run.

"Sorry," Joris muttered, looking backwards for just a second when he accidentally ran into the maid girl. He didn't have time to actually make sure she was all right, but just beyond her, he saw that the Queen had left her seat just as he slipped through.

But where? He had a couple seconds thought, but surely the knights knew the castle better than him, and there was no way he could blend in. Even the servants were better dressed than he was. They looked cleaned up and as though they belonged. Father would be so disappointed in him. Not only had he not gotten the help they needed, but he most like than not was just busy bringing shame to his family and village. He heard the clatter of the knights behind him and decided to make a random turn in a random hallway. Unfortunately, the decor seemed to become more elaborate rather than less. Joris had hoped he could find the kitchen or maybe the stables -- somewhere where there were plenty of people.

There was a door just slightly ajar down the hall. A glance backwards told him the knights hadn't yet turned the corner, but he honestly had no idea if he could make it that far without them noticing. Well, he certainly couldn't go on running forever. He sprinted for the door and slipped inside, hardly touching the door at all.

A startled gasp turned his head. Immediately, he pressed himself up against the wall as if it would make him invisible. There was a maid there making the bed. "You can't be in here!" she cried.

"Just, please, a second. I'll be out soon," he pleaded in a hushed voice. He hoped they would just pass by, but what if they had seen him dart inside. Joris slipped along the wall to an less elaborate door and slid inside to the miffed sound of the maid. He turned as soon as he closed the door to find that, well, he must have found some sort of closet, but it was much larger than any closet he had ever seen. Maybe it was a dressing room. There was gown after gown, each more elaborate than the last. Good Father, what had he gotten himself into?

Angela apologized again and begain to hurry off for the tarts. This time she managed to avoid knocking into the prince. She smiled and curtsied quickly, not wanting to delay any longer. He looked troubled, and she wished for a moment she could stay and talk with him. She knew deep in her heart that he should have inherited the kingdom, even though she would never speak a word of such treason aloud.

Vallerie jumps up and runs up to her brother. She gives him a tight hug and whispers in his ear so no one can hear. "Sis locked me in my room again." Hides behind Vince hoping for him to at least yell or talk to Varya.

Varya lets her smile grow just a little before she releases Cadmar's chin from her clutches. She pushes him away gently, floating backwards a few feet herself, an evil glint behind her eyes. She likes this, this feeling of dread and helplessness that she injects into people, this power she has finally grown into. The power to force people to respect her -- even if they didn't want to. It was respect her or die, in her world. And because of that, she knew that, in the end, she would get her money... her respect... and still foster that fear in people's hearts that would keep them from ever daring to betray her or her kingdom.

She finds Cadmar's eyes with her own and nods her head gingerly. A sign of dismissal. A sign that the clock has started ticking. A sign that he should be far from here already, working to get her the coins---

"I'll pay for him, then."

Varya's eyebrows twitch at the familiar tone. She spins around, her dress fanning out in a perfect circle around her ankles as she does, her icy gaze landing on her brother, his frame half-hidden in the dark threshold between the Eternal Hall and the rest of the palace. She glares at him. His good looks woe the maids nearest him and usher forth a short wave of swoons that makes her sick. She nearly sticks out her tongue at him before she remembers it's a stupid, childish maneuver -- and certainly one not to perform in the presence of her people. It maddens her still when she sees Vallerie leap from her spot on the throne and run into a hug with Vincent. She can see Vallerie's little lips move and the way Vincent's eyes narrow at her words. The thought fuels her malevolence.

She resorts to her words. Cold, sharp, and dangerous words.

"You spoil my fun, Vincent," she hisses. "I hope you plan to stand up to your actions... and where, pray tell, do you think you're getting the coins from? Because imperial funds are not yours to throw away to every beggar who comes crawling in for money
."

She sneers at him from across the hall. Then, with a wink in Altenna's direction, she turns back towards Cadmar.

"Well, Cadmar... it seems you might have a lucky donour. If my brother knows well enough to not take from my personal stores... I suggest you start praying he won't be so bold."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bronzor's men careen down hallway after hallway after Joris, the sound of their metal boots against the polished, flawless marble erupting into an orchestra of tinks, clinks, and thuds. They manage to chase Joris into a dead-end hallway... until the boy disappears on them. The leader of their party signals the group to stop as a maid emerges from one of the adjacent rooms, her face flustered and her arms crossed in annoyance.

"Beggin' yer pardon, ma'am," says the lead knight, dipping his head to her. "'Ave you seen a citizen 'round 'ere some'ere? Short, dir'y sorta fello'?"

The maid raises her head to the knight. A mental battle wages behind her hazelnut eyes -- the words of the boy still linger in her mind, and yet she knows if she fails to divulge anything she knows about the situation to the knight, it might mean her life.. a prison sentence... any number of horrible consequences for interrupting an official investigation. She bites her lip. Her hand balls into a fist against her arm.

"I haven't seen anyone, sir," she mutters, her head down. "If I do, I will call for you immediately, of course."

"Much appre'iated, ma'rm," responses the guard with a second bow. He signals to his troops, and without another word, the whole squadron stomp down a new hallway until they round the corner and are no more.

The maid rubs her arm. She bites her lip a second time. Blood dribbles down onto her chin.

"You'd best be out of here, young'un," she talks to the open door in a voice just above a whisper.

"I get thirty gold coins a month," Vince reminded her stiffly, bothered by what she had done to their younger sister. What if there had been a fire or she had gotten sick and she couldn't get out or find help because she was locked in? She was putting their little sister in danger and that was not okay, "I've only used ten so far--And they're mine to do whatever I wish to do with. So if you use those; I'll have eight left and his debt is paid off. Twelve coins, dear sister. Guess I just won't be able to buy you a birthday present. Too bad."

Vallerie grins liking where this is going.

Varya clicks her tongue against her teeth. Well, that was a bit of a bother. She wanted a birthday present. It was her coronation year, after all. But then again, she deserves the world and more, so she wouldn't particularly care if her lowly brother decided to spend his coins on useless peasants... if she didn't have a gift for her from him on her birthday, he would face the same consequences. Nothing changed. Everything was perfect. She sneers just a little more.

"Do as you wish," she insists, even giving him a little bow. To give him the impression his sacrifice might actually be honoured. As if she was that daft.

"It's your funeral," she mutters to herself behind the protection of the hair that spills over her shoulders.

"That's it! I can't take it anymore! Your sick! You think ruling this kingdom is some kind of game and you can do whatever you want! You hang people for fun, you torment them, and you lock your family members in their room! Well I'm tired of it! You don't deserve to rule!" Vallerie let out all the anger she had piled up all these years and took it out in front of the whole kingdom.

Vince hushed his little sister, pulling her protectively behind himself before speaking to his older one.

"Listen very carefully, Varya," Vince hissed, "So long as father is still alive you can't touch me. Besides; you need me. If you want more money, that is. You know, to pay for your perfect little lifestyle. If I marry you'll have a whole extra kingdom to destroy. Father has narrowed down the choices, haven't you heard? Three kingdoms with only one child; one daughter. No else for you to compete with."

That was probably the reason he was most angry at his sister. He was being used to gain her more land and money. He was bitter about it, and that was one of the reasons he was messing with her. He was selfish, yes, he probably wouldn't be risking anything by helping peasants if it didn't upset her so much.

Varya turns to her sister as Vallerie unleashes her rage to the dead silence that chokes the hall. She can feel the peasants' eyes on her, Vincent's eyes on her, Vallerie's eyes on her, the world's eyes on her. But it doesn't stop her -- in fact, she really could care less. Let them watch her. Let them watch as she crosses the hall in a few quick strides, up the stairs to the plateau upon which her lavish throne sits, over to her little sister, still clinging to the support of her older brother. She does not even look at Vincent -- she cares not for his opinion -- but instead bends down to Vallerie's level.

She reaches out and grasps her little sister's tiny hands. She nearly crushes them in her iron grip. A smile plays on her face.

"Now, now, Vallerie," she says, loud enough so that the whole of the hall might hear her, "what did Mother and Father teach you about telling lies?"

Varya
gives her little sister a light kiss on the forehead. Her eyes drift up to find Vincent's.

"What happens to little children who lie?"

Vallerie does the sweetest smile then it quickly fades. "I'm not lying and I'm not helping you gain their trust again! I'm your little sister and you can't control me anymore! Father already has a prince for me and I'll be out of your by next year! So shut up already and give up! I'm not a child anymore so stop treating me like one! I have 3 years until I'm a teenager and until I'm able to be engaged!" Stomps on her sister's foot and yanks her hands away. Runs back to her brother and hides behind her brother again.

"They usually become queens," Vince muttered under his breath in his own response to the question, his gaze breaking away from Varya and looking at Vallerie. It there was one thing he had to protect in this world it was his little sister. So far--she was mostly innocent. He would need her when she was older, if they ever needed to join together to defeat Varya. If he married, though the land would be his sister's, he would be living in a different castle. He would be able to plot against her, then.

"You're a little bundle of energy, aren't you?" Varya mutters as Vallerie drives her foot into her's. Pain cripples her foot for a few moments before she can pull herself back to her feet. "No matter... no one is going to want a 10-year-old bride anyway, so good luck getting that to work, darling."

She brushes a thin coat of dust from her dress and fans out the material with her hands. Varya catches Vincent's choice words and brings herself to grin again. Of course he would be jealous -- he, so unlike her, is the people's ideal ruler. Kind, generous, fair, just. The right and honourable qualities of a proper sovereign. But age betrays him -- his middle child status tore the crown from his hands before he was even born. That honour alone was Varya's.

She finds his gaze and matches it. She studies his eyes and the maze of emotion he keeps behind them. Hatred, envy, a lust for revenge. It's all there. As it should be.

Vincent...

Her eyes narrow at him.

"Well, then," she snips. "Are you going to pay for your friend or not?"

Cadmar did not know what to do, he was dismissed but at the same time they started talking about his payment... the young prince offered to pay it for him. To that he would be grateful, but right now he was lost. He could not speak out of term without being punished, he could not leave or he could be punished, but if they didn't want him to stay, he would be punished. He had never had this happen to him before. He glanced at one of the guards whom he was friends with and the guard shrugged. Not even the guards could help him this time... he was nervous and it showed. He held back the shaking but he was sweating now and his face was no longer emotionless. 'Let the god protect me now.'