Life Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan smiled. "It's true the idea is perfect. If we both put in we should be able to loosen everyone's tongues within a few hours." He reached into his pack to grab a pile of gold coins. "I hope that this will do for the drinks, the room, and a stable for my mare, sable."

The woman nodded, and took the money with a smile. "This will do for now. I'll be sure to let you know if I need more."

Blackwood flushed when the other man mentioned the sore. "I..well..thank you. I believe I left mine behind. I didn't expect to hurt myself in this manner. I have some potions that are stronger for more serious wounds, but it would be a waste for something like this." He grabbed the offending mail while he continued to babble. "Yes, though. Yes, thank you."

Dov payed for the rooms he rented, and a share of the drinks. After offering Logan to help with his little skin problem, he didn't hide his surprise at the man's reaction. "I get it, you're grateful." he thought as he heard the man babbling. He chuckled then, hoping that wouldn't offend the man. But for a moment, he thought the man looked kind of cute with his cheeks flushed and speaking nervously like a young maid. To think that he could see a grown up man, bigger than him, sweaty and with a rash on his skin, was amusing.

'Come with me then. Freckles has my stuff.' He invited Logan to follow, and went back to the goat's room. Freckles had succeeded in getting inside, and was sleeping on the bed peacefully. Dov took his stuff from the adapted saddle, and then went to his own room. He sat with his bags on the bed, and started looking for the salves he had prepared.

'Do you need help taking your garments off or can you do it on your own?' he asked as he rummaged through his belongings. After all, it'd do no good to apply something on Logan's skin if the chainmail was still going to be in place, hurting it.

Logan followed the other man to his mount's room in the inn. He was surprised that freckles seemed so at ease indoors. In his experience with animals they tended to get shifty when cooped up. Freckles even looked charming perched up on the bed. It sunk in at that moment that the goat managed to use a key. He knew some adult humans who had trouble holding a key with that much dexterity.

At the question about his clothing Logan stiffened. 'Its normal for a knight to offer,' he mentally reminded himself, 'armor can be difficult to get off on your own.' Aloud he said, "I can manage. I specifically only wore chainmail because I didn't expect assistance. My page had to be left behind to do his duty at the castle." He watched the other man searching. Dov was a strange knight to be sure. "Plate-mail is too difficult to move in, and riding long distances would be very uncomfortable."

He lifted the heavy shirt over his head, and gave a sigh of relief when the pressure was removed from his nape. In order to get at the irritated skin better, he also removed the cotton padding and shift. This left his chest bare, the slightly chill air caused goosepimples to rise. He brushed a hand trough his thick hair, as he stood awkwardly waiting for the salve.

'Yea, that's why I only wear fabric and leather. I'm used to riding long distances, and my luck makes it so it isn't a rare scenario for me to fall into a river. Plus my mount isn't always a horse, and not all animals are that strong. Wearing a heavy armour would be the end of me.' Dov spoke while he handled his bags. He tried for the pockets with the most immediate access, only to discover he had ran out of the salves he kept in handy there. He had more, but they weren't as accessible.

He started taking the stuff from his bags. First clothes, set aside so he'd have something clean to wear later, some dry food, then what looked like a book, lots of jars with different herbs, dusts and roots, a smaller bag with some extra money, thread and needle, miscellaneous stuff needed for camping, and when he reached the bottom -and what he was looking for- he was surprised to see a grey cat coming out of the bag. 'Wha-- weren't you at home? How did you end up in there?' He said out loud, and then shook his head. He'd ask for explanations later.

With a salve in hand, he walked up to Logan, and put some on his fingers. 'Don't worry, this won't sting.' He muttered before putting the salve on Logan's neck. It was an alleviating, fresh sensation. 'That'll make it heal faster and leave no traces. If the rash is still bothering you later I can put some more, don't be shy to ask.' He hoped the man didn't notice his eyes wandering a bit. Logan seemed strong, and definitely was bigger than him. He had confidence in his skills, but still didn't want to get into a fist fight with this man, at all.

After that, he went to grab a jar and clothes from his bed. 'Also, your skin seems a bit dry. I have something for that too if you want it.' That usually was a woman's worries, but Dov didn't care if that seemed too feminine. He liked his skin nice and soft, and his animals didn't like it if he had harsh hand skin. 'Now kindly leave my room, I want to go take a bath.' He said with a smile, holding his key in a hand.

Blackwood waited patiently as the salve was applied. The touch was almost cool against his skin. It felt nice in comparison to the warm burning that had been ailing him for the last few hours. "I'm not too concerned about traces." While most of his body was free of impurities, his body already had several scars. His hands were covered with several large scars, but his largest was still hidden. On his leg just below his knee was a lash mark from a whip. All of the old wounds were from earlier in his fighting career. It was before he got more careful he liked to tell himself, but he suspected that it was before his brother was martyred. "I will ask if I need it."

Logan looked down at his body. 'Dry?' he thought, it had never occurred to him to notice it. He logged that information away to consider later. "Of course. I think I shall do the same." He walked out and started the search for the room to match his key. Once he found it he went inside and washed up, careful not to disrupt the salve in case it needed to sit against the skin. He didn't take his time, despite wanting dearly to do so. He scrubbed his skin until it was raw and pink.

Once he was finished he dressed quickly into a dark green tunic and soft brown pants. He rushed back out to the tavern. He rounded up a few men to spread the word that drinks were on the king's knights. Then he took a seat at the bar, and proceeded to get started without the villagers. He liked to drink and it helped that the mead here was spiced just how he liked.

Almost two hours passed by before Dov showed up at the bar. The man was almost unrecognisable. Looking carefully, without the dirt of the road his skin seemed to be a shade lighter. His hair, before a tangled mess, was now neatly combed and braided. His mostly brown clothes were of good enough quality to go to a party, but so humble he'd just fade in the background. He smelled the air, and let out a happy sigh when the aroma of dinner being made reached his nostrils.

He looked around, surprised to see more people in the place. Maybe the inn keeper had spread the word around of the knights inviting everyone for a couple of rounds? He located Logan sitting at the bar, and him being the only one here he knew -only for a couple of minutes, but at least he knew him-, he walked towards him.

He attempted to surprise Blackwood, popping up from behind, patting his back. 'Started drinking without me? Bad, bad attitude.'

Logan was a nervous person, especially when it came to people touching him. As soon as the pat hit his hand flung to the sword at his hip. He tried to stand and face his "attacker", but he had drank three mugs of mead. Instead of springing to his feet as he would sober, he tipped off of his barstool and tumbled to the ground.

From a kneeling position on the ground he adressed Dov, "I only drank a little." He stood back up slowly. His coordination once he oriented himself seemed to be only slightly dulled.

He wiped the invisible dust off his tunic, then let his eyes travel upward to take in his companion in his new state. "You...I mean...look..uh...different." He wasn't sure what would be the appropriate compliment to pay the man. He licked his lips and let out a slow breath.

'Are you sure it was only a little?' Dov thought, but refrained from saying so once he saw Logan was mostly alright, and the fall was just a small incident.

He repressed a smile when Logan referred like that to his appearance. 'Different? As in clean and groomed enough to pass for a normal person?' He said, acting like he was offended by the man's doubtful comment. He chuckled mere seconds after. 'Yes, thanks for noticing. I really let myself go in the road, but here it's better to look as a normal person to be treated well in a city.'

Dov took a seat next to Logan, asked for a drink, and ordered dinner. He'd still have to wait a bit for that, but at least now he had something to warm his belly. 'I hope you're not so drunk that you can't pay attention to what people say to us. I'm glad people is gathering here already.' He said before taking a sip. It was the strongest spirituous drink they had, but he was really good at handling alcohol.

Logan was worried for a moment when the other knight faked offense, but the chuckle completely disarmed him. He found himself smiling back before he could help himself. Dov did look different, but he also seemed more relaxed. Blackwood wondered if they could get along in the future or if this was a moment that would not be repeated.

"I'll be fine. I can hold my drink well when it comes to conversation." He turned back to the mug and swirled the drink within. "I'm just no good If surprised." With a thoughtful look he muttered, "maybe your right. I should probably stop." He had been enjoying his senses and emotions being dulled, but this was buisness. He had to represent his order and his king. That didn't mean he had to like it.

'I hope you're good at holding a conversation too. I don't like talking to a lot of people.' Dov said with a sigh. He turned a bit to steal another glance at the tavern. There still weren't a lot of people. Hopefully because the knights had offered drinks and not food. He looked down when he felt a familiar tap on his lap. His grey cat had been wandering around, and jumped to his lap. He prevented the cat from jumping up to the bar, since maybe the inn keeper wouldn't be okay with that.

They purred for a little while, before Dov turned to Logan. He called for his attention with a little tap on his arm, and whispered to him. 'She -the cat- says she eavesdropped on these people's conversation. They're wary of us, because they've been asking for help for a long time, and now the Kingdom suddenly sends two knights to help. They're afraid of what the kingdom. will ask from them, as they're already giving most of the extra-production they have. They also fear two people won't be enough to fend off the bandits, so we'll probably put them to fight. Another one even said whoever sent us expects us to die, so they can accuse these people of killing us, wipe out the town, and use this place to they best convenience.'

He took a sip, after talking for what he considered to be too much. 'Gossipers get so creative sometimes...'

Logan looked at the cat. He had never been this close to these small animals people kept as pets. "Can I pet her?" He asked cautiously holding out a hand for her to sniff as he had done with horses. He tried not to think too much about the strange behavior of the beastmaster. He supposed that it was probably normal behaviour for the man.

"People are strange for sure." He idelly commented, fingers reaching closer to her fur. "I will speak then."

He stood up and shouted, "Hey!" Once he had the majority of their attention he continued, "Please tell us about these bandits while you enjoy your drinks and dinner. We have come here to help, regardless of what you have heard. Please let us help you as best we can."

A man stood up and toasted his glass, "I'll tell you what I know. They always come at dawn. They tell us the day before in a letter on an arrow."

"What direction does the arrow come from? and what does it hit?" Logan asked.

The man laughed. "Oh they don't shoot it. They send it into town tied to child." There was an outcry of anger and grief. "The poor things are traumatized by the experience."

Dov didn't answer when the knight asked if he could pet the cat. He looked down at the creature, and let her speak for herself. The cat didn't let Logan pet her, but didn't run away either. She just leaned the other way, evading his fingers. 'Hmm, maybe later.' He told Logan.

The beast tamer turned around to face the people, but didn't speak to them. He raised an eyebrow when the man described their peculiar method for sending messages. Wasn't that too much for mere bandits? They usually did awful crimes when stealing from a town, yes, but to continue to come again and again, and kidnap their children?

'Ask them if it's a different child each time. And if the children know anything about where the bandits camp or live.' He whispered loud enough for Logan to hear. Letting the man speak, he observed the people, looking for anything or anyone suspicious. There was always the possibility of the bandits having someone working for them among these people.

Logan nodded, then opened his mouth. Before he could speak however the people were shouting. The many voices at once bled together, until one grew louder than the rest. "How do you plan to help us? These men are truly evil!"

Logan Held up a hand, and most of the sounds silenced. "Is it a different child each time? Do they return unschathed?"

"Yes, a different babe. Always one old enough to wander on their own. They are returned to us as they were before, save for their hair." Called a female voice from the group. Logan noticed then that children were weaving around the legs of the village adults.

"Their hair?" Blackwood repeated, his eyebrows knitting as he thought.

"They cut it." A woman with blonde hair and brown eyes walked forward. She pushed a tiny girl out from behind her dirty yellow dress. The child was in a matching dress and had matching fawn eyes as her mother, but unlike her mother's flowing golden locks this child's hair was only a millimeter in length. "It's like they shear them." The woman continued.

'Poor girl.' Dov thought, giving the girl a sorry look. It must be horrible for a little girl to lose her hair, specially by force. He moved his leg in a nervous tick, getting impatient. He didn't like dealing with people. You could get information on a regular person just asking them about themselves, and they'll tell you everything. People love talking about themselves. But to get them talking about a particular event, you have to ask bit by bit and drive them back to your point of interest, because people always seem more interested in whatever revolves around them.

'Stop talking about the things you see or how your child made it back home. Give us the information that's really useful, dammit.' He thought with disdain. Seriously, animals were easier to interrogate.

'Ask them how do they attack. Are they a large group and they come raid the town? They send a handful of men and these fearful people just stand in line and give them what they have? Do things just go missing in the night, and they know the bandits had their way?' Dov whispered to Logan. He wanted to ask lots of more questions to send them in the right direction, but he felt like he'd just eventually yell at the people. He grabbed his drink and drank half of it in one go.

"What are their numbers?" Logan asked after nodding to Dov. His eyes were intense, completely sobered by the important discussion.

"Too many to count!" Shouted a voice from the crowd in a hysterical tone. Villagers made sounds of agreement.

Another voice joined the din, "they came from all sides, carrying torches and shouting!"

"A leader," started an old man who pushed his way to the front with a knotted cane, "in fine clothing like yours," He pointed to Blackwood with the bottom of the cane, "comes to us and demands strange items and much of our food and then leaves."

"They need three whole men to carry all the bounty they take." A woman added, tone high pitched. Her hands worried the cloth of her lilac dress.

'Another one, please.' Dov turned to whisper to the innkeeper, as he had just swallowed down his whole drink. Now that the villagers were raising his voices, he was starting to get more nervous. He saw his cat rushing away. She didn't like people either.

'What strange items?' he tried to ask Logan, but it came out loud enough to seem like he had asked the villagers. He blushed, feeling shy, and looked away, not wanting to make contact with any of the people. 'Ask them to describe the man. Does he wear any symbol of any kind?' he whispered now to Blackwood.

"They took some cheese!" A mans voice shouted. "He asked me for horse milk." Came another voice. "A rolled beeswax candle." "A tent."

"What does the man look like?" Logan posed the question once the list of unrelated items ceased.

"A demon." "So tall!" "Handsome!"

"That's not really helpful..." Blackwood muttered under his breath. He cleared his throat, "what does he wear? Any banners or symbols?"

The woman whose child had been taken before spoke up again, "he dresses like a warrior, in leathers and chainmail. He wears no sigil or banner."

'And here I thought they really asked for something weird...' Dov thought, with a twitch on his eye. The inn keeper came back with his drink. He payed for it, and half of it was gone in one go.

'Their leader seems well equipped... Is everything stolen, or are we facing a case of corruption?' he whispered to Logan. It wouldn't be the first time the guards that were supposed to protect people took advantage from them instead.

'Ask them whatever you want. I'll go interrogate their animals later. Humans are too troublesome.' he added, almost as if he didn't consider himself human as well. He finished his drink, and immediately after he ordered one more.

Reactions: vassaloftales
"Do you think their amour is stolen? Do you recognize them?" Logan tried to ask calmly.

"No! If course we don't know them!" Said the old man, who thumped his cane against the wooden floor. "They wear clothing that fits them better than the ragged cloth that I wear! Mine was made for me!" He chewed his tongue. He looked as if he wanted to spit, even pushing his lips out to do so. Then with a look from the proprietor he swallowed. "No one will hear me out on this, but I tell you, they are rich men. Sent by the king they were! They want to drive us from our homes!"

"Why would the king do such a thing?" The innkeeper asked, sighing. "Forgive him." She said to the knights, "he is old."

Logan shook his head. He felt like he wasn't asking the right questions. He hoped more would come from the animals that Dov was going to question. He turned and offered his empty mug to get refilled.

Taking a deep gulp, he offered one final remark to the people. "We will think on this information and firm a strategy. Thank you all for your time." With that many of the townsfolk dispearsed, either going home or taking a seat. He sighed and had a few more sips, slower this time. He enjoyed the spiced honey flavor that tingled on his tongue.

Dov waited until Logan was comfortably settled next to him, and hardly anybody was paying attention to them anymore. 'I don't know. That man seemed like he was missing a couple of ducks in his line, but them being rich men seems plausible to me. If the king decided to kick them out in a whim, we wouldn't have been sent here though. I think.'

He turned around to face the bar, and this time he took his time to drink, the same as Logan. 'I hope their animals are more cooperative. And that they've payed enough attention to their humans' lives in order to know something.'

Dov glanced at the drink Logan was sipping from. It looked different from his, and the knight really seemed to be enjoying it. 'What's that? Is it tasty?' He asked, leaning a bit towards him.

Status
Not open for further replies.