Life is Strange

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Superpiggeh, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, I guess I couldn't resist.

To give a quick summary... Source: Wikipedia

So, has anyone else tried this game yet? It's amusing this came out at around the same time as Game of Thrones Episode 2 (the one by TellTale), so there's like two interactive story games... But nevertheless, I am personally feel more invested in Life is Strange, more so than the latter by TellTale, largely due to how easy it was to relate to it. Granted, I didn't go through the US education system but it isn't hard to draw comparisons, given the fact I'm still in the education system here.

That, and the music feels really appropriate considering the nature of the settings and the people within. I'm also rather intrigued by the rewind mechanic within the game, which adds what I feel is a rather unique layer of gameplay to the formula laid down by TellTale - which I must admit, I find rather tired, having played the two seasons of The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and now Game of Thrones (I missed/avoided Tales from the Borderlands).

Also, the idea of the Butterfly Effect and Chaos Theory being involved makes me look forward to seeing how the consequences of Max's progression through the plot and her act of rewinding time to 'fix' certain mistakes would come into play. I guess if you have played the first episode, you have a rough idea of what will likely happen.. Though that remains open to speculation at the moment.

But yes, I digress: who else has played this, and what are your thoughts on it!

2. I watched the first episode played by SwingPoynt, and being a fan of TTG (I adored The Wolf Among Us and I love all things Tolkien and G.R.R. Martin) I really liked Max's ability and how you can rewind and change your choices but only up to a certain point. There's slightly more normality to Life Is Strange for me (the dramas of high school), which I don't dislike but it was a nice sort of different. It's not full of shocking twists as seen in TTG's works, but I guess the makers of LIS are just warming up like TTG was with The Walking Dead.

The characters in LIS are definitely likeable, but for me there's not as much bonding with the characters. I don't love them the way I love Lee and Bigby and the GoT characters, but then again I haven't played LIS personally. What I did like about LIS though, was that there was a whole lot more to explore and interact with in the students' dorms, and you could wander around a bit whereas in TWAU and TWD I think the storyline was more discreet and moved on quite quickly.

3. I loved it. Some of the dialogue is a bit painful, though, considering the nature of the characters. The whole "hipster" thing is already being over done within the first episode. It's also a little slow to start, but by the end you're wanting more. Lots to explore, and lots of decisions to make that- at least, the game says- will effect later game play, even if in small ways. So each play through would be different. There are lots of characters that will effect Max in her progress and they all seem to be equally important in the game's eye. I know I'm interested in how the story will play out, for the most part, although I suppose games like this are a bit more story than gameplay based.

4. Above comments pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. Save for one thing.

It's basically the same concept as the game "Remember Me" to an extent which is also another Square-Enix title. Just seemed a little re-hashed.

5. I believe it's the same developer, Square just being the publisher. I can't remember the studio's name, but Remember Me was their first project as a studio. That's damn impressive.

6. It made me weirdly emotional and I still don't understand why, it's not like I could empathise with much of it. Strange.

I enjoyed it, I'm already hoping for a happy ending.

7. I am willing to try out the game. I got one question:

Is it similar to Telltale's games (The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc.)?

8. I feel you. I feel you bruh'. I am can already imagine how it'll end, all of them cliche, all of them bittersweet, but yeah, I agree with you on hoping for a happy ending.

Well, not exactly, per se. It's similar at least with respect to the narrative-driven game-play. In that vein, it's similar to TellTale's games, if that's all you're asking, then it'll be worth it. With just one episode, I'd say it's hard to judge the entire series, but it did get me very much invested and also very keen on the subsequent episode... So... Good sign? The same feeling as with TellTale's The Walking Dead Season 2, where after the first episode, I'm waiting rather impatiently for the next episode. Same thing now, with Life is Strange.

If you're keen on more details, I think with Life is Strange, it departs in terms of gameplay. I played it on the PC, so I am using the mouse, and I liked how they made selecting your actions (to talk, to take specific actions, etc.) very intuitive. It's definitely a lot more fluid than TellTale's, even their latest Game of Thrones cannot compare in terms of the smoothness of the controls in my opinion. Like I mentioned in the first post as well, I really dig the music. I think it really fit the setting, and the game made significantly better use of it than any of TellTale's games... (Where honestly, I can't recall a moment where music in that game caught my attention)

And the artistic direction. Very apt considering the settings. Sigh. I'm looking forward to it even more now. Tsk. In brief, this game was a series of really spot-on decisions (music, art direction, etc.). If I must critique, I'd say the lip synching is the most horrible I've seen so far. I read the subtitles a lot though, so it's not a huge problem... Then again when I look at their lips, I just get turned away from it so that kinda works against them.

I've also read that some have critiqued the language in the game... Not sure what that critique's about though, but it has something to do with them not really reflecting the way teenagers speak, supposedly. I ain't from the US, so I don't know what they meant. It worked for me alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.