Library Wars (Hoggy RP)

DayDreamer

Badger Supreme
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
5ecc0eddaff681104ee3e422a6e5c34b.jpg
Caleb did not have a particular interest in the Library, unless it involved searching for answers in topics he was interested in, like brooms or quidditch tactics. However, it was desperation that had led the Gryffindor to the desk of the old librarian that afternoon. He had skipped study hall once again, but really this was news to no one at this point. Caleb has not been spotted in study hall yet and he was known for skipping sessions the last couple of years as well. "Come on Madam Pince! There has got to be more information than your standard DADA books!" He protested, shaking the book he already had found in the air. If looks could kill, Madam Pince would have incinerated him on the spot for raising his voice in her library and waving her books haphazardly in the air like he did. "Certainly, but that is all you are allowed to read without restrictions. A troublemaker like you does not need to know more about such a vile spell!" She hissed at him with distaste. Whether that distaste had to do with him breaking library rules or because of the spell in question, Caleb could not tell. And he didn't want to in all honesty.

A low growl of annoyance and anger reverberated in his throat as he was about to argue some more with the stubborn librarian. He had already read the books he could find without breaking in the restricted section. That's how he had learned to counter Fiendfyre, but the books did not delve on the nature or effects of the spell in detail. He needed the details. The Healers at St. Mungo had told him that the pain would have gone away by the time he would have to take the Hogwarts Express, yet the pain persisted. Sometimes a faint throb followed by brief stings when he would ride a broomstick, sometimes searing hot. The dreams were supposed to go away when he came to terms with the event. But how was he supposed to come to terms with something that created such a complicated mess in his life and kept him in pain even months after the wound had healed into what was now a large patch of red scar tissue covering half his face? "But I have read these already! I need more in-depth knowledge. What, are you scared I will burn the place down?" It was a rhetorical, exasperated question, since Madam Pince knew that he only ever came to the library whenever he was truly interested and he usually was quite exemplary in his library conduct, with the exception of forgetting to return a book on time every now and then.

Pince's silent stare was a slap across his face. He could feel his anger beginning to boil under the surface. He clenched his fists. "Who do I need to ask about permission to go into the Restricted Section?" He asked through gritted teeth. He really did not want to ask the professors about it, since he would rather avoid questions and judgement, but desperate times called for desperate measures. His attempts at opening up to his friends had been more or less successful, but in order to progress into Professor Hildegard's next step at putting past this whole summer event, he needed the scar to become just that. A patch of red, marred tissue that did not hurt but was there to remind him how close he had come to being crispy bacon for a sentient fire wolf.

------------
OOC: Leaving this open for Addy to intervene.

Adelaide Rosier
With amusement Adelaide had watched the exchange unfold itself at the librarian's desk, the old lady ever as undaunted and unmoving as she had been in her student time. Had the lady looked as exasperated and annoyed with her when she tried to sneak in? Adelaide found that she was unable to recall her expression, other than a deep heaved sigh that escaped the madam right now as she faced Caleb.

"I believe a note of mine should suffice, not?" the female had swept in, back tall and straight as she approached the odd pair at the desk. From Adelaide's own readings she had figured that Caleb wasn't the studious type. Only triggered to do his work when he deemed appropriate and of interest and in line with his own interest. A childish notion, Adelaide found, for who could ever only be so limited in their own interest? Alas, it was the student she faced today and a student entrusted to her.

"What could inspire such passion in a student?" Adelaide questioned, pretending to be unaware of the earlier conversation other than the fact that she had caught on to the last sentence before sending madam Pince a curtsy.

"It has been such a long while," she greeted the librarian, who huffed in answer that it hadn't been nearly long enough.

"The collection hasn't nearly expanded enough for you to be entertained," the librarian told her almost accusingly to which Adelaide could only answer with a slight smile, humoured at the fact that a school library could entertain her at all nowadays.

"I brought my own," was her simple counter before turning to Caleb, eyes curious in that inquisitive manner she always carried, but also with a hidden purpose. After all, it was no coincidence that she had walked into this particular student.

"Now, what is it that you wish to know not meant for a teacher's ears?"

Text colour: #B4AAB6

• Haha
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
Before he could say or do something he would regret, Caleb was intercepted by one of the teachers offering him the very thing he needed. Professor Rosier had walked over, exchanging a rather interesting greeting with the librarian. Caleb had hoped that he could have talked to Professor Hildergard about a note, instead of the new DADA professor. Despite the fact Professor Rosier would have been the authority on the subject, Caleb did not know her well enough. He did not trust her as much as he did the Potions Master. Not that he had the best relationship with Professor Hildegard either, but recently the man had proved most helpful.

"Now, what is it that you wish to know not meant for a teacher's ears?" Professor Rosier zeroed in on him and Caleb's jaw tightened as he seemed to briefly debate himself on whether to answer truthfully to her or to just dismiss the subject and try another time. But she was a former Auror so hiding or lying, would have been most inefficient and troublesome. He would like to keep troubles to a minimum for now. "Fiendfyre, professor. I want to know more about how it works and what its effects are." He replied, his jaw clenching once more as he prepared himself for a dismissal of the spell being too dangerous for a student or perhaps she would take it as confirmation he had been the one to cast Fiendfyre that summer day. The spell had gotten out of control that day, that much everyone had confirmed, but that is one of the reasons some suspected Caleb had something to do with it. An inexperienced student was a likely cause for the spell to backfire and his attempt to know more about it now, could have been interpreted as an attempt to get better at it in the future.

He knew how this looked, but he took the plunge regardless. Hogwarts was supposed to be a safe space for all students was it not? Professor Rosier had not been appointed by the Ministry like Dolores Umbridge had all those years ago.

Adelaide Rosier
A moment of silence, the look of suspicion on Caleb's face when regarding her, the new professor. Adelaide took it all in patience, wondering how long it would take before she would represent an authority of trust, and be an example of good faith, as well as a figure that students believed they could turn to.

Unconsciously she leaned forward, mimicking the way Hildegard would always bow forward to her in interest when she went off on a tangent as a student.

"Fiendfyre," Adelaide repeated, feigning surprise as she nodded, as if considering the request deeply.

"Miss– professor Rosier, I must remind you that—" Madam Pince started to interrupt as Adelaide raised a hand, as if already aware of what the librarian had to say before she smiled.

"Care to follow me, mr. O'Neill?" Adelaide offers, her arm sweeping to the side as she takes a step into the direction of the library exit. "I may have something of interest."

It was convenient, really. Caleb's case had been infamous, throwing the entire ministry around. Everyone wanted to know what had happened and how and above all why. Looking at the boy and having read his files Adelaide couldn't say that it was a bad kid, just a badly informed one. And with eyes everywhere, and a task on her plate that she was to look after him as well, Adelaide felt that there was only one appropriate reaction to all.

Teach to prevent. Teach to control, and teach she would.

"Now follow after. It is quite an offer, you know?" she teasingly throws over her shoulder.

• Sweet
Caleb tried his best to suppress a wince when Professor Rosier repeated the name of that bloody spell and Madam Pince decided to protest on his request to her. He was surprised and grateful when Professor Rosier seemed to dismiss the Librarian and even entertain his request. He hesitated for a moment when she suggested he followed her out of the library, not sure what would they be doing when the material he was looking for was probably hidden somewhere in the Restricted section. 'I have brought my own.' Professor Rosier had quipped at the Librarian.

"Now follow after. It is quite an offer, you know?" She teased and Caleb was quick to follow, falling at a respectable distance next to her. For all his initial caution, he seemed to relax, if only a little bit. She exuded the same aura as Professor Hildegard. There was no way out of this situation, but the intent behind it did not seem to be a troublesome one. He remained quiet on the way to wherever Professor Rosier was taking him, his right hand idly messing with his enchanted notebook that poked out his pants back pocket.

Adelaide Rosier
Adelaide had a way to force the stairs to line up when she passed them. Courtesy of being a professor, accompanied with the fact that Adelaide had to battle said stairs for seven years straight herself. After a while one tended to figure things out when it was a daily frequent. With that it was a quick way down to the DADA class, designed to be as high and as empty as possible to allow Adelaide to run whatever simulation she needed without having to take the students out into the field.

The offside of it was that the steps of her feet sounded hollow echoing through the classroom and that it seemed unused for those who didn't know any better. It was fortunate that DADA was one of those mandatory classes, to which every student had some memory of, both in the good and in the bad sense.

"Madam Pince is discomforted with the idea that you may trigger another accident," Adelaide spoke as she crossed her own classroom, going for the office in the back as she entered the smaller room, a sea of papers and books meeting them at that very instant that build up as high as her walls and covered her desk into disappearance. Yet, despite the mess, the auror knew exactly where to go as she simply wagged a finger, a few books sorting themselves as manuscripts flew into her hand.

It could be said that Adelaide was even oblivious to the mess as she paged through the things she had gathered, a nod of approval before she extended it over to Caleb.

"I disagree," she followed before pointing at a few more corners in her office where she summoned more pages from, "I think that you should be educated, now that you have proven yourself capable of being accident prone. Whether that will dissuade you, or encourage you is your decision to make. If it is responsible will be my call."

With that a chair and an empty spot at her desk appeared to which Adelaide gestured for Caleb to sit at before she sat herself down.

"The papers I provide you with are to remain within my office. Should you have any questions, I'm sitting across from you. If you wish to see a demonstration, ask a question."

With that Adelaide flashed Caleb a smile before she opened a file herself, thumbing down through her own work and research in her overly filled office.

• Love
Ah! The DADA room. This made sense and Caleb looked curiously as they made their way to Professor Rosier's office. He had yet to see her version of the place, which had been a good thing. He hadn't gotten into trouble with her yet and the reason behind his first visit seemed to be an educational one instead of a lecturing one. Upon the opening of the door, Caleb was greeted with what seemed to be absolute chaos, but the way Professor Rosier had walked in and immediately pulled up several pages, indicated otherwise. This was organized chaos, creative chaos. She seemed to work much like he did when he was at his workshop space in the Room of Requirement.

"Madam Pince is discomforted with the idea that you may trigger another accident," Caleb's fist clenched and he rolled his eyes, but stayed quiet. No matter how many times he had explained his side of the story, nobody seemed to believe him. Not even his own father. He had grown tired of smashing his head against the walls the adults seemed to build around him. "Wouldn't believe me if I had Verisaterum in my system..." He muttered, mostly to himself.

"I think that you should be educated, now that you have proven yourself capable of being accident prone. Whether that will dissuade you, or encourage you is your decision to make. If it is responsible will be my call." This surprised him. It seemed Professor Rosier was the second adult willing to, at the very least, give him the benefit of the doubt. "The papers I provide you with are to remain within my office. Should you have any questions, I'm sitting across from you. If you wish to see a demonstration, ask a question."

"If I never see the bloody spell again, it will be too soon." He nodded as he took the parchments and his seat, wincing at the idea of a demonstration. "Would it be alright if I take some notes, professor?" He asked as he pulled his enchanted notebook from his back pocket and lightly tapped it in the air. His eyes were already scanning the text, looking for the possible effects from injured survivors of the spell.

Adelaide Rosier
There were two things Adelaide made out of Caleb's attitude and statement. One; it wasn't a mistake of boyhood that had led to the accident. Two; he had been pulled around like a child instead of heard out like a victim. And if anything was infuriating it was not being heard and treated like a child rather than a person. Adelaide knew that.

"No, you will have to learn to memorise," came her response, a teasing smile following after as Adelaide balanced her chin on her hands, "which, I understand, should be something you are good at?" she jested, remembering very well the complaints of the professors about the lack of notes that Caleb tended to take in class, or the lack of penning down any type of homework.

"If there is anything you want to discuss I'm all ears, however," Adelaide added, her eyes wandering over that viscous scar that was left by the fire before focussing on the entire person once more.

She wasn't going to push for the story, nor give the boy any boards to spring from. It wasn't part of Adelaide's strategy here right now as she watched the papers she had handed in Caleb's hand shift, noting which parts he lingered on longer and which parts he skipped. No, Adelaide fully intended for the Gryffindor to come forward himself, as much as she hoped that she could maintain the role of a teacher rather than an auror.

• Sweet
"No, you will have to learn to memorise," Caleb rolled his eyes at the tease, briefly taking his eyes off the papers to see a teasing professor leaning her chin on her hands, much like how his peers would do whenever they were enjoying something too much. They were not that far apart and it made him relax a tiny bit more as he went back to scanning the papers, the gears in his brain clearly working as he replied with a brief "Will do" at the mention of asking questions.

The next 15mins were spend in silence as Caleb read through the manuscripts, noting where accounts from survivors were referenced and what the debate was between the similarities of Fiendfyre and Protego Diabolica were. It wasn't until the debate on the burning capabilities of both fire spells and the difference in color that Caleb paused for a second, digesting the information. He had never heard of Protego Diabolica before and the similarities of the spells made him wonder if he had been treated for the wrong spell instead.

He swiftly tore a page from his notebook and jotted down two columns. One with Fiendfyre and one with P.D similarities and differences. "Professor, is it possible for Protego Diabolica to be in other colors than black and is it possible to be terminated with the same charm as Fiendfyre?" He questioned as soon as his notes were finished. He looked up from his paper expectantly.

Adelaide Rosier
A visual learner, Adelaide judged, storing the note away somewhere in the back of her mind as she listened to the scratching of the quill go over the note, her own eyes going over the texts she was porusing before the silence was broken once more.

"Grindewald's use was reported to be a burning bright blue," Adelaide started, but that's what the reports had said. The difficulties with these 'evil' spells was that one had to have a strong intent of wanting to discriminate, to exclude and above all, to harm. It wasn't something the average person could perform, and much less was expected that an auror could perform these spells as they were expected to be 'free' of such blemishes.

Adelaide knew that the reality was different, however, aware that the theory was only so ideal as to boost their own appearances and position. There simply was a lack of report on the matter amongst them, or reports that she could reach, at least, and Adelaide had never found the need to devolve herself to that baseline in which she had to resort to them.

"As for Fiendfyre," Adelaide mused, "as both dark spells they do come with their similarities. Much like we already know from previous dark spells, the intent is what feeds it, like a fire that will continue to consume everything in its way until there is nothing left to burn anymore," Adelaide continued, tapping her fingers on the table as she pushed herself up.

"How about a simulation?" Adelaide's offer rang clear, her legs already carrying her back towards the empty grand hall she had designed as the classroom. "I understand from your previous reaction that you aren't eager on witnessing another Fiendfyre, and the chances of me being able to produce a Protego Diabolica or a Fiendfyre is rather slim as well, I'm not ashamed to admit that," the professor admitted as she waved around with a file in hands, "but I can run a simulation on old records of either spell, extracted directly from the memory of witnesses."

• OMG
So there were reports of a difference in colour even within the same spell. Granted there haven't been a wizard as powerful as Grindewald within their current generations, as far as Caleb knew. The intent is what feeds it. Burn until there is nothing left... If that was the case, was it possible that the pain would never go away? He winced at the thought, his hand flying over his burned temple to rub the pain away. He didn't know if it was in his imagination or not, but he felt a sudden stabbing pain. It was intense enough to register but not enough to be sure if it was real or just a reflex.

"How about a simulation?" The question broke off what had been slowly developing as a tick move. Caleb paused for thought as Professor Rosier explained herself further. Had it been a real life spell, Caleb would've had refused on the spot. However a simulation couldn't hurt, right? It would have been nothing more than a memory, a hologram like the muggles were working on turning from novelty to mainstream. Nothing could go wrong with an image.

"I suppose a simulation might help." He confirmed and got up to follow Professor Rosier to the hall. He was rather curious on how such a simulation could even work. He knew of Pensieves, magical artefacts which allowed one to relive memories as if going back to the past, but somehow he doubted the room was such an artefact. Why did Professor Rosier even had those memories at hand? Shouldn't those be classified or something?

Once out in the open, Caleb positioned himself behind the DADA professor, as he would have done in any DADA lecture, out of pure habit. However his hand was unconsciously clutching his wand, as he waited for the simulation to start.

Adelaide Rosier
The flash of pain crossing Caleb's face didn't escape Adelaide who took a mental note of it, her mind whirring as she vaguely recalled something about phantom pains left behind by dark spells. Reports of the Crucio curse leaving an ache within the mind of the affected victims who reported the tug and the urge of something, or someone, beckoning them to do something against their own will. Too vague to go off on and none with anything too dire, or believed by the court after it did turn dire.

With a wave of her hand Adelaide closed the doors and windows of the room, turning the room dark before she summoned a sphere in hands that seemed to contain the night sky, the glittering lights flashing like stars around them and dancing and twinkling before she placed it in the centre of the room, shifted through the files in her hands as she picked out one, rolling it up and inserting it into the sphere where it disappeared.

A flash of light followed, and then the pair found themselves in the middle of the fields, grass surrounding them and a house not too far away, two young men stood in the same plane as they stood without taking note of the two intruders.

"This was a rather mild case. Two fresh graduates believing they have the world at their feet and experimenting with the spells they could never try before," Adelaide briefed the student on the background of the case before allowing the case to speak for itself.

One of the men rose his hand, a wand in it before opening his mouth, the terrible and damning spell escaping him as the fiery head of a dragon was unleashed, twirling in the same direction as the wand pointed like a torch, its screech one of pain and the colour a faint red, but more of a flickering yellow, lacking the power to unleash its full nightmarish proportions, but enough to burn the grass surrounding them, the fire consuming all around as the friend tried to shield himself fruitlessly.

"Unfortunately, even if the fiendfyre wasn't strong, the friend didn't survive," Adelaide sighed as she lifted her hand, closing her fingers into a fist as to pause the memory in which they found themselves before walking towards the sphere in the centre again.

"Rewind, or watch another memory?" the teacher offered, wondering if this may have been too meek of a case to start off with. It held interesting details, but students were so impatient, loving their bombardier and all. Adelaide could never be sure, not even when she was a teen herself.

• Love
Caleb watched in fascination as the mysterious sphere was brought forth and the starlit sky presented itself to them in the most unexpected way. He stared at the object with wonder as he tried to figure out its nature. Then with a flash of light, He found himself into a meadow, created by the memory of the two young men in front of them.

Suddenly, Caleb felt anxious again and his scar throbbed faintly in the back of his mind, like the heartbeat of anticipation. He watched as the pale dragon spewed fire and screeches of pain ringed in his ears. "Unfortunately, even if the fiendfyre wasn't strong, the friend didn't survive," The words of Professor Rosier echoed in his mind as he stared intently at the fiery dragon frozen in place.

There was another question the professor had asked, part of his brain tried to reason, to pull his eyes from the magnetic power of the dragon as it stood in place, ready to consume the field if only they would give it the slightest of signs of weakness. But the more Caleb stared at the image, the brighter the fire became and the dragon grew and shifted until it took the form of a wolf. And it moved!

Caleb took a hasty step back as he pulled his wand out, his knuckles white against the warm brown wood. While shaky himself, he rose the wand confidently at the beast as it snarled at him and he shot a spell at it. The same spell that had saved his life and that of the little girl. The same imperfect spell that had been both his salvation and his doom.

Adelaide Rosier
She had clenched her fist to kill the projection, only to find that she needed a shield not even a second later for the spell that roared at her, her body falling to the side as the protection spell took the brunt of the attack as she rolled over the floor back onto her feet once more, a quick splash of water sent into Caleb's direction to both drench him and snap him out of whatever daze it was.

"Perhaps something smaller, before I have to bind you," Adelaide spoke coolly, dusting herself off when she got off the floor. "What was that spell you used there?" the professor questioned, as she summoned a chair from her office to walk over and seat the student. The reports had been clear, and now that she had witnessed it for herself Adelaide could go into depth.

"I don't suppose the previous DADA professor taught you that," came her dry remark as she smoothed out her dress, "more water? I have glasses to contain the liquid," she continued, acting as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened while she had the projector stored away and its vaults of memories.

• Nice Execution!
The flaming wolf had launched at him and he braced for impact just as he had finished his spell. "Perhaps something smaller, before I have to bind you," The words of Professor Rosier came clear as day to him and his eyes widened as he felt cool instead of searing hot. His scar throbbed but he found himself back in the DADA classroom. He struggled to get his bearings back as he realised that he had thrown the counter spell for Fiendfyre directly at his professor. "What was that spell you used there?" She questioned as she seemed completely unbothered by the whole situation.

"You.... You said you wouldn't.... The dragon changed into a bloody wolf!" He responded as he was guided to take a seat, still trying to process just what had happened. He had a sneaking suspicion of what it might have been and the thought terrified him. He had heard talks of PTSD before, muggles seemed to place great importance on it. "I don't suppose the previous DADA professor taught you that," Professor Rosier continued coolly as she offered him some water, this time in a glass instead of directly at his face. His hair and top were soaked, but it wasn't too bad. The cool sensation of the water did wonders to counter the throbbing of his scar. She kept speaking, challenging his mind to focus on the present instead of the images of the past that threatened to spill out. Deep Breaths, Felix had told him.

And so he did, as he eased himself on the chair, forcing his hand to let go of his wand. To tuck it away in its sheath once more. Another deep breath later and he managed to focus his gaze at Professor Rosier. "No, I studied myself to learn the counter to Fiendfyre since last year. I was told my version of the spell was incomplete, but did the trick to save us." He responded to her question and sighed. "I'm sorry, Professor. I don't know why I did that." A lie. He knew bloody well why. He had panicked. He had been confused enough to think the memory was attacking him in the form the real spell had attacked him over the summer. He was scared and damaged. It felt like he couldn't go back to how it was. And his scar was feeding off of those things. Those feelings.

Last edited:
Adelaide Rosier
If Adelaide had detected any lie she didn't show it, turning on her heel as she crossed the empty room, the palm of her hand resting against one side of the wall that thus turned smooth, the bricks and its lines disappearing and replacing itself for the familiar black surface of a blackboard. With the tap of her wand she thus summoned a chalk sketch out, the ferocious face of the beast summoned earlier spurning forth.

"So, what do you make for the dragon wolf creature you saw earlier?" she questioned, her eyes fixated on the white lines that made up the frame and the details seen earlier, just without the heat and the licking flames.

"Earlier we discussed that Grindewald's use of the Fiendfyre was reported to be a bright blue, and there have been other reports of other colours. Voldemort, for example, was rumoured to be green," she continued to explain, the notes on the chalkboard continuing to draw itself to life. If there was any note of sympathy in Adelaide's voice, it couldn't be detected, her voice steady as ever, even when mentioning the name the world had feared so much not that long ago, "feel free to add in," she told the male casually before a sketch of the young man himself appeared on board, the spell he had summoned earlier to defend himself sprawled out underneath.

"How did you think of the counter?" came the next question, not doubting the amount of self-study that went into it, but why the young man felt the need to learn to counter such a terrible spell went lost on her. Preparation? An earlier unreported encounter? Whatever the case, Adelaide had a lot to look into.

• Nice Execution!
The scene from the memory appeared again, this time in the form of chalk painting on the wall. Caleb found himself rest his gaze at the eyes of the fiery beast and he could have sworn he could see them smoulder dimly. The tacktack of the chalk echoed like the crackling of fire in his ears. He was only partially listening to Professor Rosier and he nodded his head when she repeated herself about the variations of the spell based on the wizards. He swallowed hard, closing his eyes and tilting his head upwards. He had to tear them away from the image before it came to life before him once more.

The sight of the ceiling beams was a welcomed one and he stayed like that for a moment. Just enough so the professor could ask him one more question. "I don't know why the spell changed." A partial truth, as he could only suspect the vision as what PTSD might be like. "I studied ahead, believe it or not. The counter to the spell is in one of the Library books. It wasn't hard to practise in my free time, but I never thought I would need to use it so soon. I didn't have enough time to perfect it." Carrow using the spell during DADA had given him reason to study ahead, but it had not been enough time between that incident and the moment he had to use the spell to save his arse so he could master it at short notice. Still, it had done the trick.

With another deep breath, he took his eyes off the ceiling and leveled his head once more, making sure he would not look at the board anymore.

Adelaide Rosier
Studied ahead was a phrase Adelaide would believe coming from someone like August, or Glesni, or perhaps even Raina, but not Caleb. Caleb was the type of student that was prompted to do something. Someone that had to be tickled into studying up a subject or a topic, rather than a flight of interest. Adelaide had known this much from the reports she had observed, a mild smile escaping her as she wondered which one of her students had made use of a fiendfyre before within his presence. She put her bets on Glesni, for now, for the Slytherin came across as someone bold and daring enough, with a dash of recklessness.

"Do you know how to summon a patronus?" the female continued loftily, wondering where the previous professor had left them at, and where they were now. The patronus, though a hard spell to master, was one of the spells Adelaide believed every witch and wizard had to know about, at least theoretically, even if unable to perform. It would lay a foundation for the rest, after all.

"I trust you have heard about it at least, the Golden Trio made it no secret, after all," she continued, this time drawing out her wand as she pointed it towards the centre of the class, her lips moving to summon the spell that had nearly gained a legendary status, before the silhouette of a buzzard sprang forth, soaring through the air before diving towards Caleb only to dissipate with another flap of the wing and a cry ringing in his ears.

"See?" he would hear, but Adelaide's lips hadn't moved, nor did the voice sound through the room for anyone else to hear.

6e07257c830a35fa0daf2e44318ee6b6.jpg
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

For some time after the end of the final class for the day, a sweet herbal scent still emitted from the Potions classroom. For all intents and purposes, having so many aromas intertwine at the same time should have - in no way - been a pleasant experience. Nevertheless, passing through the scented cloud felt like experiencing all of the mixes individually... at the same time. What started as a personal convenience quickly revealed itself to be appreciated olfactory altruism for everyone in the vicinity, given the sheer number of projects Hildegard tended to work on simultaneously.

In the middle of the classroom, professor Hildegard marched uniformly between long tables with several brewing cauldrons. Healing potion, Skele-Gro, some Wiggenweld, and Draught of Peace all bubbled in unison, stirred at the same time, as Virgilius passed them, adding a few final ingredients where they were required while his eyes remained fixated on the book in his hands. Amused, he chuckled once more at its content before closing it upon concluding the chapter. All of the cooking activity stopped at the flutter of book pages closing. Even though a routine at this point, professor Hildegard gave each individual cauldron another look, assessing the quality of the brew. With each nod of approval, an appointed glass dispenser was filled and ready to use.

After the task was completed, the classroom was returned to its previous, meticulous state. The final two visits were hardly a chore as one was a delivery of ten potion-filled containers, and the other would not be far off from a friendly chat. Professor Hildegard let out a relaxed sigh, undoing his complementary tie for that day and disapparating it in his hand: a sign that the official part of his work day had been completed.

"Thank Merlin, Virgilius. Not a moment too early!" Madam Pomfrey was a small, frail-looking woman whose personality and big heart tended to overpower and lull at once. When Professor Hildegard stepped into the Hospital Wing, she focused on him and the potions suspended in the air. Realizing the amount she had requested, the healer added sheepishly: "Oh dear. This seems like a lot of time spent. I apologize."

"Nonsense," he interrupted with a polite chuckle, gesturing for the dispensers to settle themselves gently onto the first available surface. "I've been planning to catch on some reading for a while." The mention of reading perplexed Pomfrey further as she struggled to make the connection. Virgil waved it off, smirking.

"It was no trouble at all."

Respectfully rejecting Madam's repeated offer for a cup of tea, Virgil resumed his stroll through Hogwarts' halls, adjusting a leather file under his arm. Naturally, it was a matter that should have been resolved right away; otherwise, he would not have disturbed professor Rosier's time off. It was praiseworthy for students to take as many extra classes as possible, and he was aware that anything DADA-related was miles ahead of brewing. Still, he couldn't help but feel at least a little bit challenged to address the fact that she was stealing his students for the activities that accidentally fell at the same time as his. If anything, he believed Adelaide was willing to negotiate.

Unlike the usual, the door to the DADA classroom was fully closed, raising a question. Behind it was an unmistakable sound of conversation between miss Rosier and a student.

"I didn't have enough time to perfect it," the male voice said, and it stopped Virgil in his tracks as he prepared to leave the premises. His curiosity was one misfortune he couldn't seem to uproot even though it was perfectly under control for the most part.

"Do you know how to summon a patronus?" Adelaide asked in an audible, academically superior manner. It pleased him to hear such confidence being a constant within her image. A slender finger tapped the file several times as Virgilius contemplated his actions. He had gone such a way to resolve the final task for the day. If he had returned now, he knew that it would all but haunt him. Perhaps a curiosity tipped the scales because a moment later, professor Hildegard grabbed the handle and entered the room with the least noise possible, not flinching even when the conjured buzzard almost rushed through him. He had a golden rule he projected to all his colleagues: walking into the lesson meant doing so without much interference.

Professor Hildegard made his way through the dim room behind the seated student he had immediately recognized upon entrance with a barely audible step. He approached Professor Rosier's desk without expressing an ounce of visual interest in what evidently was a private lesson for mister O'Neill. Far from being surprised by the amount of creative mess Adelaide had adorned almost the entirety of her table with, it still managed to give Virgil a good dose of subtle anxiety. Admittedly, knowing your way around so many unnecessary piles was a talent in its own right. Opting to patiently wait for his colleague to handle her own desk, he quietly observed the lesson. Nothing more than a part of a mess in the shadow.

Soon enough, he got a pretty good idea of what today's lesson for Caleb O'Neill was about.

Last edited:
The change in subject was sudden. "I've heard of it. Never tried before myself." He replied and looked at the Bird mesmerized as it soared overhead. He briefly wondered what his Patronus might be like, if he ever managed to achieve one himself. He was aware of the difficulty of the spell and he had briefly studied the mechanics behind it, but he had found them too vague, too.... philosophical for his liking and had moved on to other subjects.

Wonder turned to fear as the animal dived right at him. Brilliant blue, wispy light that his mind's eye threatened to turn into fire. Breathing grew hard for him once more and it took all his mental fortitude not to scream and roll to the side. "See?" A voice echoed in his mind, but he could not make out its origin. "What is wrong with you?" He whispered. His voice was stuck in his throat.

His mind was screaming and his scar was throbbing. Something was stirring inside him. He thought he was going crazy, but it felt as if he was on fire once more. As if the last embers of the damn spell were still burning like back when he had been rushed to the muggle hospital. The entrance of Professor Hildegard had gone unnoticed as Caleb once more rubbed and pressed his scarred side.