Library Wars (Hoggy RP)

Adelaide Rosier
"Noted," Adelaide had said in response, making indeed a mental note for herself to plan in the patronus lesson and practice somewhere in the curriculum. These students would need it, judging by the general mood of their little world of magic.

Somewhere in the background the calm click and presence of Hildegard entered, barely acknowledged by Adelaide as she focused on her patronus diving into the surface of Caleb's mind and slightly breezing past the scar. Adelaide felt that she could sense something else. An anger, a licking fire that kept on burning and roaring, almos an itch. A smouldering of something beneath the skin that felt sinister, yet very much etched into the very fragment of Caleb's soul.

It took everything within her not to show surprise, or the disruption as the effects of the patronus ebbed away, her expression levelled before folding her arms behind her back.

"How long has that been?" she questioned, not answering his last question, for there was little and too much to answer to that. Certain was, however, that there was something wrong with him, something that hadn't been reported and something outside of her knowledge.

"Professor Hildegard, since you're here, maybe you can take a look as well," Adelaide invited her colleague, not meaning to sound so distant or so cold, but unable to help herself as she crossed the room and stepped closer to the student, cool fingers reaching out for the scar with little hesitancy as she tried to trace for that flicker of darkness she had managed to dig up earlier.

Text colour: #B4AAB6

VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

1697838897464.jpeg"Of course," Virgil spoke up for the first time since he had entered the room as a response to Professor Rosier's request. At an even pace, his well-maintained shoes clicked across the floor toward the center of the room, where Professor Rosier prepared to get hands-on with the problem in her signature inquisitory fashion. Instead of occupying the boy's personal space, already invaded by another, Professor Hildegard stood a few steps back, arms resting across his chest. Only a gentle wave of hand and an intense, uninterrupted glare Cal's way gave away that he wasn't just standing there, idling.

The boy's troubled mind opened in front of him without too much effort required. The practical yet morally questionable benefit of an unsuspected target. And even though plenty could have been dug up, Virgil made a conscious decision to read only a small portion he was looking for. Fear and insecurity dominated the image, but persistent traces of foreign force disrupted the clarity of his legilimency, much like a restless creature would disturb the surface and murk the water it resided in. It fought to exist and prevail against Caleb's evident walls of mental self-preservation.

"Mh," Virgilius sighed as the image dispersed, nodding at his own silent contemplation. A couple of paces later, his attention turned toward the blackboard containing details regarding Adelaide's private lesson with Mister O'Neill. Shortly observing a list of names he had expected to see under examples, Professor Hildegard cleared his throat politely and raised the chalk against the board's surface, pausing to think briefly before adding a couple of names, his neat, classic cursive handwriting complimenting Professor Rosier's clean one.

"Vincent Crabbe. Reported red. Sergei Elin. Blue. Glesni Carrow. Red. O'Neill incident. Red," he concluded with a loud tap on the board.

"Allow me to say that I've taken the liberty to bring your case, Mister O'Neill, to an old friend of mine. Of course, all of it was discussed hypothetically. Rest assured that your name or any damning details weren't mentioned, even though I would trust Professor Elin with my own life. It was an interesting conversation," he added after a post-disclaimer pause.

"Now, I think adding these few other names up here gives us a better perspective," Virgil pointed in the general direction of the board, proceeding to pace around the room like he would during any regular class. "As with any other spell, the caster's mental and emotional state profoundly influences Fiendfyre curse. The fact that it's such a complex and damning spell to learn leads me to believe that Fiendfyre is like wild magic forced into submission without efforts to tame it. This would, in return, explain the almost sentient behavior of the spell that ultimately fights the caster to break free," he proceeded, waving at the chalk from a distance, instructing it to add the word 'sentient' to an already opened list of descriptors.

"Clearly, finding those that have lived to tell about their experience with the curse under similar conditions to O'Neill's is," he paused, observing Caleb's scar as he searched for the proper word. "Nigh impossible. Nevertheless, Professor Elin offered a theory that is a curious one." Being how so many Durmstrang students went through the hands of now Headmaster Sergei Elin through their excruciating journey of mastering combat magic, he seemed like the most plausible source of any new information. As it always was, the professor did not disappoint.

"I'd like to implore you to keep an open mind, mister O'Neill," Professor Hildegard added calmly, leaning forward against the worn-out wooden desk surface. "He has a theory that, in your case, the residual Fiendfyre energy acts codependent. Whereas a countercurse would typically extinguish it fully after it was no longer needed, a potential residue feeds off your rattled emotional state. Quite literally continuing to curse you," he concluded matter-of-factly. "In the worst-case scenario, if that theory holds any water, it contests you until it becomes an evident problem. In the best-case scenario, you simply learn to control it and live with it," he paused for it to settle in before waving it off. "Of course. It is only a theory. I would like to hear your opinion on the matter, Professor Rosier. If you will," Virgil offered, taking a seat behind the table.

5ecc0eddaff681104ee3e422a6e5c34b.jpg

"How Long has that been?" Professor Rosier's questioned confused him. "What? The pain? It has been there since day one. Never really left." He replied, clearly disoriented and distressed. His mind was screaming to him that this was a mistake. He should not have stirred the beast, but it was too late now. He would have to push through this. By the time he realized what Professor Rosier was doing, his back had pressed so much at the back of the chair that he would have toppled over if it was moved even an inch further. The cooling sensation against his scar made him freeze. He hated this. He really wanted to just run away and out the castle. He wanted to slap her hand away from his face.

But he remained frozen as another part of him was disturbed. More personal and more sacred. He may have not been much into the arts of the mind, but he knew that his mind was being invaded. This created a spike in his pain and he shut his eyes once more. Focusing on his breathing and retreating behind a single thought 'Breathe. You're alright.', Caleb waited for the moment to pass.

"At this point it doesn't matter who knows....." He responded to Professor Hildegard's comment about keeping his identity a secret in his discussions with Durmstrang's Headmaster. Besides, Ravena knew him and she was a teacher there. He was fairly sure his story had reached more than just your casual Daily Prophet reader. Professor Hildegard was now theorizing in front of the chalkboard, but Caleb was paying half-attention, busy composing himself and forcing the accursed feeling back to the depths of his consciousness. Out of sight and, one could hope, out of mind.

"In the worst-case scenario, if that theory holds any water, it contests you until it becomes an evident problem. In the best-case scenario, you simply learn to control it and live with it," Professor Hildegard concluded, eliciting a bitter laugh from Caleb who was now almost back in control. "Define evident...." He muttered mostly to himself as allowed the two Professors to discuss the matter further. He didn't wish to think that he would have to live the rest of his life like this. Cursed to burn under the surface and to lose touch with reality whenever something stressed him.

Once again, the thought of simply running away from this came to the front of his mind. For the first time, he dismissed it without a second thought. The two people in front of him where the only ones actively trying to help and with the actual prospect of fixing whatever was wrong with him. He didn't wish to discredit the attempts of his friends. They were doing wonders with easing him back to social life, but they could not help his symptoms. No, he was going to fight this like the bloody Gryffindor he was supposed to be. He had cowered, licking his wounds, long enough.

Adelaide Rosier
"Is that better?" Adelaide asked the student, an edge in her voice in which she tried to keep her distance neutrality but didn't quite manage to conceal her concern. Caleb was fidgeting, and somewhere in the back of her mind the professor remembered the personal notes on her student card about him, along with the Ministry report she had received. Troubled family, complicated relations, somewhere Adelaide recognised herself in him; like an angrier and lonelier version of herself.

Hildegard's matter of fact tone filled the room, his discussion with headmaster Eilin from Durmstrang revealed as Adelaide retreated from Caleb, producing her pot of medicinal balm out of her pocket to hand it to him. "It isn't much, but it has a cooling effect. A friend made it for me, I will ask him to adjust it for you," she offered, making a mental note to discuss with Marco the treatments of magical burns.

"Coincidentally I have been informed on the case by headmaster Pyre, our very own pyromaniac," Adelaide shared, slipping right back into her role, but with the giddiness she held as a student. "He theorised much the same, though in much simpler terms," she explained, turning towards Caleb who had been muttering to himself, evidently (ironically) not catching onto the meaning entirely, but that was what he was here for and what Adelaide set out for him to find out.

A short pause followed before Adelaide turned on her heels and clasped her hands together, her hand waving over the chalkboard and turning the scribbles on there into notes on paper that she neatly piled for Caleb. "I'm ending our class here. You can take these notes with you, but for the next time I hope you may bring a friend. One that you can trust. One that you don't mind sharing this class with," the professor announced, knowing full well that her homework assignment was one given by a hypocrite, given her own silence in her friendship with Caia, but that was what gave her the unique position to assign it to the male.

"Next week, same time, same classroom. If there is no friend with you I will not let you pass my door," Adelaide added in, glancing over to Hildegard to wordlessly convey her own hope that the man wouldn't help Caleb instead if she so refused.

Text colour: #B4AAB6

• Spicy
Reactions: Ritual Lobotomy
VIRGILIUS HILDEGARD

1698873717553.jpeg"Define evident...."

Virgil responded to the boy with a polite chuckle. Albeit not an envious situation, the boy's spirit gave him great hope that the issue was manageable.

"Well," Professor Hildegard cleared his throat, leaning against the desk, "If you don't work on it, the control you have over it will deteriorate," he responded briefly, assured that no further clarification was needed.

"Coincidentally I have been informed on the case by headmaster Pyre, our very own pyromaniac," Professor Rosier chimed in with a jest of her own. "He theorised much the same, though in much simpler terms." It provoked a meek smirk from the man as he couldn't help but imagine the Pyre-like way of discussing such an issue. "It seems we are looking into the same textbook, then," he concluded. "Ought to make the process somewhat easier to manage." Regardless, he was well aware of Adelaide's ethics throughout the years, and as she rushed to conclude the meeting, it brought forth the same sentiment. She wished to do things her way, and a simple glance in his direction commanded respect for that decision. Whether he had agreed with it or not was irrelevant.

Professor Hildegard contested the piercing blue eyes briefly, an id within him accepting the challenge moments before the conscious mind urged him to nod in agreement. While compelling, a battle of egos would have done the boy more bad than good. "It is your class, Professor Rosier. I have no intention of challenging your authority on the matter," he assured coolly. "If anything, I am curious about your strategy. I am confident Mister O'Neill will find a fitting candidate." Without a doubt, he could think of a few he had hoped Caleb O'Neill would consider.

• OMG
Reactions: Nemopedia