Let's Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would post real quick since I sent in a CS! Haha!

I don't have a lot of influences but when I think of Rock I usually think of Alternative Rock like... Lincoln Park and Fallout Boy. Anyways, that's my late response to that conversation!

As a music person, single tear.... single tear...

Check out The Heavy, and The White Stripes. There's great music out there and you don't even need to go to something super obscure to find it.

Aww yiss, can never go wrong with The White Stripes. Jack White is a genius, no doubt. I used to LOVE Fallout Boy though! They were one of my favourites when I was at school, but I haven't listened to them for years...

Might have to have a nostalgia playback later on. :')

Again, I've been on a Punk bender.... All of the Punk... Except Pop-Punk.... Fuck that shit... In the rear... with Irish Punk.

Nothing wrong with liking popular bands, I like Fallout Boy too. Growing up I wasn't exposed to a whole lot of different music, it wasn't until I was in college that I started getting into 70's and 80's rock music and there is so much music out there that I haven't discovered yet. I'll take any recommendations. I've heard a few songs by some Swedish bands that I really liked but I didn't know their names.

OH, another thing to be thinking about: What should we name the band? I thought it would be fun if we could come up with one all together so you all can start tossing some suggestions out there. Most of the people who submitted characters are pretty much guaranteed a spot (except for @Zadok shadows who needs to edit his CS some before I can consider his character, and he hasn't PMed me back about it yet) so yeah feel free to collaborate on that.

(the truth is I suck at naming things so I need help)​

I know, I suck. I just wasn't into a lot of music when I was younger, especially rock. I was SUPPPERR religious and anything with a hard beat or swearing was like, out. It wasn't until a few years ago I really started to listen to bands that swore and anything else. (Not so religious anymore).

My friends once came up with a lot of cool names for bands... I wonder what they were... I suck at naming things too.

My sister and I always joked about becoming a musical duo because she plays guitar and I play violin, but we both suck, so we'd call ourselves "Bad Strings" because that's a super badass name but also we suck.

And then if, one day by some miracle, we became really good and famous and people would ask us "So how did you choose a name for yourselves?" We'd just be like, "Because way back in the beginning we sucked."

And if we never got good it wouldn't matter because at least we'd be true to our name.

Well, I think we should wait until we all see the characters and start to figure out what type of music it will be, as that is a big decider in the type of name you'll give it.

And I didn't say that there is anything wrong with liking popular music... Just that there are some examples of popular bands that are totally outclassed by slightly less heard of groups, and that is unfortunate.

Reactions: Clirkus
There are plenty of band names that could apply to absolutely any kind of music, so I don't see how it would hurt to start brainstorming. That being said, I'm going to join the rapidly growing club of people who suck at naming.

I'll just be that one guy who sits at the back and boos all of the suggestions.

Seriously though I never thought it would be such a tricky thing!

Reactions: Clirkus
The Black Tie Event was one name my friends came up with.... They had a bunch at one point and they are all into rock and alternative music, but it's midnight and rude to text them at this point!

Hah, that'd definitely be interesting to say the least. We'd probably have to sort it out beforehand still, before it devolved into

"So nobody can think of a name?"

"Ooh, what about [I can't think of a name]!!"

"Nah, that name sucks. Anybody else?"

[rinse and repeat for two pages until a band member ends up thrown out a window]

Hmm, actually... That would be quite fun!

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: VerbalAbuse
Hah, that'd definitely be interesting to say the least. We'd probably have to sort it out beforehand still, before it devolved into

"So nobody can think of a name?"

"Ooh, what about [I can't think of a name]!!"

"Nah, that name sucks. Anybody else?"

[rinse and repeat for two pages until a band member ends up thrown out a window]

Hmm, actually... That would be quite fun!
Maybe not that long, but I think we should at least include it, even if we decide on the name before hand.

I agree a lot of names can be fitting no matter the style of music. I mean Arctic Monkeys, Sex Pistols, Kiss, none of those really imply a specific genre. @Alice Falling Black Tie Event sounds really cool imo, it's a good example.

@Potatocat @Krimp Once all the characters are decided that's a good idea. We could even schedule a livechat RP session with all the characters and have them fight it out figure out a name they all agree on.

But I mean brainstorming is still a good idea.

A livechat would be cool! We'd just have to figure out a time when everyone is actually free. Which I've found out can be a lot harder than it sounds. Gotdamn timezones... I can see it now, Battle Royale: The Naming of the Band.

I was about to recommend The Bad Seeds, and then I thought 'Hold on, that's way too cool of a name for you to have come up with, you must have heard it somewhere.' So I googled it, then whacked myself over the head.

It was a valiant effort, I'm sure.

If all else fails we can just do a group convo or a thread.

Well, if I know far enough in advanced, I can do pretty much anytime that it doesn't conflict with another one of my things...

Since characters are announced Friday we could try either Friday night or Saturday. I'm at central time, not sure about the rest of you.

US/Canada Mountain Time.... Because Colorado... But wait, with the weather we've been happening recently I think my whole state may have been moved to where Seattle is... XD

Status
Not open for further replies.