Let's Ride Into the Sunset Together (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hector St. James
Hector only shrugged.

"To get what's in there mostly. You won't believe what people ship through simple mail to not pay extra charges for a more safer guarded service," he explained to Alex. "Money, bank notes, checks, jewelry, death wills, food...anythin' that can fit under the ten pound weight for simple shippin'. Desperate people do desperate things..."

He leaned up and stared out the window at the rolling black clouds that were suddenly approaching. Hector walked over to the window and cracked it open, feeling that stormy, heavy air that always accompanied freak storms. With with a low grunt, he closed the shutters before closing and locking the window.

"Could be that too. Better than bandits," Hector chuckled softly with a sigh of relief. It was more likely the mail was hold up in another town to wait for the storm to pass. "Was startin' to think I would need to go out and find the mail with the sheriff. Well, with that, guess the post office can officially close early."

What an unexpected storm. Usually Hector was good at predicting the weather since he spent many years on the road delivering mail to different towns. But this one came so suddenly. No early signs or anything. Thick, black clouds seemed to suddenly appear, heading to Hopesville with a powerful boom of thunder following. Hector flinched at the crashing boom, but soon let out an embarrassed laugh to cover it up to Alex.

"Better settle in quick. It's comin' way too fast. You're free to shelter here if you like, Alex. Think I have a few bottles for us to pass the time," Hector opened the half door to walk out into the lobby to close the shutters on the other windows of the post office. He flipped the "Open" sign to "Close", making sure to check outside just in case others were looking for a quick place to shelter at.

@neobendium

"Oh my, poor Daisy. I'll send someone around back and have her checked on, at least get her under some cover so she's not stuck in all of this rain." She moved past Silas and grabbed the key for the room Matthias had chosen and reached across the bar to hand it to him. "It's not a hard room to find, but it you like I can show you where it is." she gave him a pleasant smile before moving from behind the bar.

She gave the room a quick once over, checking to make sure her girls were all sufficiently busy, all the customers who wanted drinks had them and that everyone seemed to be in good spirits despite the weather. She was a little sad that she didn't have more rooms open so that some of the more drunk customers didn't have to walk home in the rain. She didn't like to stay open much later than 10, but if the storm continued she might have to. She didn't want anyone getting washed away in the storm. She turned to glance over her shoulder at her bartender and spoke. "I'm going to show Matthias to his room and then head to my office. There is one more room available, but try to save it for someone who really needs it. Maybe try to convince Conrad to stay. If the storm doesn't lighten up by closing, keep the doors open a bit longer. If it doesn't look like things are lightening up, come get me, I'll probably still be awake."

She gave him an appreciative smile before motioning for Matthias to follow her. She knew Silas could handle the bar on his own, and she trusted him. She lead Matthias up the stairs, down a hallway, and around a corner. When she reached the room she stepped to the side so that he could slide the key into the door and unlock the room. When he stepped inside, she stepped into the doorway and looked around quickly, making sure everything was in order. The room had a small, but comfortable bed on a metal frame on one side, a chest of drawers against the wall that held the door and on the opposite side of the room was a tube. Everything seemed clean so she stepped back into the hall and smiled.

"If you need anything, anything at all, I'm just next door, and my office is across the hall." her smile turned flirtatious, she just couldn't help herself. "Sleep well Matthias, sweet dreams." she bent at the waist and reached forward, closing the door before she turned and went into her office.

Thomas stopped the coach in front of the inn to let the passengers get off and under the shelter the saloon offered then handed their luggage down to them "Go on in and ask for a room if you don't have anyone to pick you up, storm's gonna stop everything for a bit." He told them then took the coach up to deliver the mail, late as it was getting there. He saw Hector just starting to come out after shutting the blinds and called out to him. "Hey, Hector, got held up by bandits out there, but they didn't take the mail, thankfully. Here ya go, I gotta stop by the sheriff's office before I can head home." He said as he jumped down to get the mail from under the seat. to hand the bag over to him. "They took my guns and most of the horses, had a female leader too. Odd bunch but they were determined to take what we had."

Alex grinned at the postmaster, glad for this chance to know the man better. "Gladly. But you must allow me to pay you back with a drink at the bar later," he replied. Alex did enjoy the bar anyway, and having a friend would make it much better. And the the mail coach arrived. Alex smiled in relief and leaned over the railing of the porch, listening with concern.

"Oh? Was anyone hurt?" He asked, eager for news.

Bandits with a female leader? At least it'd be easy to narrow down if it came to a choice between two gangs, right? It certainly sounded unusual.

@Starrnico @Pray4me

Silas Hy'l
Interactions: No one/Anyone

The newcomer left to apparently drop his stuff off. The rain hit us and i could feel the storm brewing because my head had started aching. I let out a sigh, "Storm sure is coming" i mumbled to myself as i looked around the bar. My eyes set on Conrad who seemed a bit saddened by the rain, i leave the counter and walk up to him. "Hey Conrad, say... what if you'd stay for the night, you don't need to go out there into the storm then, i think i can give you a small discount" i said. Conrad seemed to be a bit hesitant about the deal at the moment. "Say, i'll come back to ya later to see if you've chosen in that point already, i'll keep the keys reserved for now" i said before taking a round around the saloon, gathering up empty pints before heading back behind the bar to clean those pints up.

Since the rain started, the atmosphere had turned much calmer and quieter as people had started to ponder if they'd leave now or try to wait out the rain. I honestly would leave now instead of waiting for the storm to hit the town. But the round table for example was full of idiots who just didn't understand that it was better to leave now and get soaking wet than trying to wait out the storm that would last forever. Bell wasn't going to be happy about the fact that we we're going to be open much late for sure.

"Oh it's no trouble, I can just go get her myse--" Matthias began to say before Lilly grabbed the key to his room and practically waved him out of his seat, requesting he come along with her. He weakly pointed towards the door with the key she had given him, but Matthias let out a weak sigh and shook his head, knowing he wouldn't be able to say anything that would make her allow him to tend to his horse. Looking through a nearby window, Matthias saw that Daisy was perched just underneath the roof of the bar, so she was staying dry, but he knew that Lily would make sure the mare was perfectly alright. Giving his horse a small smile, Matthias stood up from the bar and followed Lilabell up the stairs.

Crossing into the bedroom after it was unlocked, Matthias took a moment to look around while the woman behind him spoke, explaining that she was just down the hall if he needed her. Before Matthias could even say 'there's still a bit of light out', Lilabell was wishing him a good night and closing the door behind him. Pouting a little bit as he realized he couldn't really leave the room without causing Lilabell to race after him demanding to know what was wrong, Matthias took a seat on the edge of the bed and began to think. He set his hat down on the side table close to the bed and ran a hand through his hair.

Unfortunately for the young man, what came next, he was entirely unprepared for. His head had been aimed at the ground when the room filled with a white flash of light, but Matthias managed to notice the aftermath with no problem.

CRA-BOOOOM!

Startled by the tremendous sound of thunder that echoed a bit too close for his liking, Matthias jumped in his seat and fell off the bed, landing on the wooden floor with a thud. Groaning a bit, he pushed himself up and brushed himself off, looking out at the rain as it pounded against the window. "Storm's gettin' rough... Don't like the looks of it." he muttered, a concerned expression quickly spreading across his face. He knew that this much rain wasn't going to bode well for the dusty little town, especially since the last time it stormed like this, there was a terrible mudslide that nearly destroyed the town. It made him wonder how his farm was holding up...

Well, he thought, If my crops were thirsty today, at least they've got plenty to drink right now.

Hector St. James

"You got it amigo! As soon as the storm passes we'll head to the bar. Get a few rounds of drinks and check out the new menu they have," Hector nodded happily.

He blinked, taken back by the sight of the mail coach arriving just in time of the storm. Rushing outside, Hector checked on the delivery as Alex talked to the driver. Turned out his suspicions were true, the mail coach was hit by thieves led by a female.That was a bit of a shock, but not too surprising. It was about time women turned against the law after all the hardships the nation has been having. The thought of a female leader of a band of thieves intrigued Hector, almost making him consider finding the woman more out of curiosity than to help make an arrest.

"Ah!" Hector ducked at the sound of a booming thunder that shook the entire town. "After I get the delivery, hurry and get your stagecoach and horses safe in the barn behind the post office. Come shelter here. This looks like a bad one."

Hector quickly grabbed anything in the mail coach and tossed them lightly into the post office. Even with the threat of a major storm heading his way, Hector still remembered his obligation to treat every letter package with as much care as possible. With that done, he waved Alex to come inside.

"Or you can help the driver with his property. I'll keep this unlocked until you return if you do," Hector nodded, closing the door to quickly carry all the deliveries upstairs and secured in the safes.

@neobendium
@Starrnico

Reactions: noodle
"Gotta get back to my girl" Thomas said and flinched at that lightning strike so close followed by the loud thunder. "And quick" He added as he climbed back up in the seat to take the wagon and horses to their stalls. He hurried in his duties, but took care to get them settled so he could go. Alicia had to be worried sick about him by now and with the storm approaching like this.

Once the horses were settled and he could go, Thomas looked to Hector and Alex again, tipping his hat then heading home. This was one reason he was glad to live in town instead of out in the countryside.

Twila had arrived earlier that day and had spent a bit of the morning exploring and trying to get a feel for town and the people. She was dressed in her traveling gown, but even that was a bit more finery than most of the local people wore. She had spent a bit of time this day fretting over that fact. The last thing she wanted to do was to alienate people unnecessarily. She was doing this to get out from under the auspices of her father's wealth and she was highly annoyed at herself for not realizing her clothing would be a problem.

She made her way to the mayor's office and waited for him to arrive. He had given her a time and as was her normal inclination, she had arrived ten minutes early. She sat with her back very straight and her gloved hands folded in her lap. Her dark curls had begun to escape the pins she had used to attempt to hold it in place but for the most part it still looked proper. Glancing out the window, she saw people going about their day and she smiled. It was a pleasant place, it seemed. She had heard many things about this town, but she chose to judge her new home based on her experiences not those of others.

She tapped her booted foot on the floor and enjoyed watching the people outside the window. She hoped there was a small house near the school, but she did not care in any event. She was excited about getting started and helping the children of Hopesville blossom and grow into all they could become.

Alex had followed Thomas into the stables, helping with what he could and tipping his hat in return as the man left. He then ascended the steps to the post office and entered, looking upstairs and hesitantly putting his foot on the first step. "Need any help?" He called up to Hector.

The blacksmith hated feeling useless, and he especially hated others working in front of him without him being able to help. His fingers drummed against the wall slightly as he waited for a response, glancing out the window and watching as lightning split against the dark sky and hearing thunder crash through the clouds like a herd of stampeding horses.

@Starrnico @Pray4me

Reactions: PoetLore
Twila was sitting patiently when she heard the loud KABOOM. It gave her enough of a scare to have her hands gripping the arms of the chair faster than she ever remembered moving. she didn't see raindrops yet , odd. She stood and moved closer to the window and saw the black clouds moving closer. "That is going to be a nasty one..." she said aloud though no one else was in the room with her. She bit her lip wondering what she should do. She had no idea where she was supposed to live, if there were even arrangements made for her boarding at all even. Glancing up at the clock she noticed that there were still a few minutes before her scheduled meeting with the mayor. She had begun pacing without being aware of the fact as her mind ticked through her limited options. She did not really relish the notion of trying to travel anywhere once that storm arrived, but she also had no desire to miss this appointment either. Her hands were tightly fisted at her sides, also unconsciously, as she pondered her dilemma.

"A note..." she said aloud as the notion hit her. She went to her small traveling bag and withdrew a journal and her ink. She slid her hand down the outside pocket of the other bag and retrieved her quill pen. Moving to the desk she sat daintily and though her boots were tapping in an agitated manner her penmanship was perfect. She folded the paper and slipped into the matching envelope and flipped it over to add the mayor's name to the front. Leaving it there in the middle of the desk she stood and replaced the items back into her two small traveling bags and made her way for the door.

Leaving turned into quite the spectacle since she had to put one bag down to open the door and then place that bag outside and close the door before picking it up again but she managed without too much fuss. She made her way to the Inn she'd seen as quickly as she could and upon entering was disheartened to see it was a tavern. She let out a slow breath and hoped she could at least find refuge from the coming storm here. She looked around hoping to find a kind face or even someone who might look like they could help her.

Lilabell sighed softly as she left Matthias' room and headed towards her own office. She was usually such a smooth, confident talker, but around certain people...she glanced over her shoulder at the door she had just closed and shook her head. Wasn't worth it to dwell on the problem she supposed. Just as she opened the door to her office, one of her errand boys ran past her and she reached out and grabbed him by his suspenders. "What have I told you about running through the halls up here?" she scolded him gently, making sure not to raise her voice too loudly. The boy hunched his shoulders slightly and scuffed his shoe against the floor.

" 'm sorry Miss Belle ma'am. I just wanted to get my work done quick" she smiled softly and ruffled the boy's hair before straightening it out again.

"It's alright. I appreciate that you want to get your work done quickly, but I can't have you running around up here, especially when we have guests. It wouldn't do to have you running into one of them and knocking them down." the boy nodded and turned to leave but she hooked her fingers in his suspenders again and stopped him. "Hold on just a moment. Mr. Altresian's horse is out front. She's probably okay for now but we don't know how long or strong the storm is going to get. Please take her around and put her in the stables." she paused for a moment then nodded. "In fact, if there are any other horses out front, go ahead and take them into the stables as well, as many that will fit. Let Silas know you're doing it so that he can tell the owners in the bar area. Once you're done with that, go ahead and duck into the kitchen and grab some of the stew to warm you back up. Once all of that is done come see me."

The boy nodded and ran off to do as she had told him. Lily smiled softly and walked into her room, sitting at her desk and looking at the half-finished ledger. She shook her head and closed it, her eyes falling to a letter that had been hidden underneath it. She reached out and broke the wax seal of the envelope and slid the letter out and started reading.

Hector St. James

As soon as Hector heard the single foot on the first step, he shot a habit forming glare from the very top. Quickly, his face relaxed, remembering the situation they were in.

"Sorry about that amigo. A reflex since those not allowed are up here...but this might be an emergency. If your hands are clean, you can come up here and sort all the letters of those that belong to this town and the outskirts. You should already know everyone here. If not, there's a big book on a table up here with every name. All you have to do is separate the letters, put them in another bag, the toss it in the safe. I got the more important documents."

Hector waved Alex up and pointed to a bag just beside him. The upstairs was a busy mess with different safes around along with walls filled with slots and cubby holes for organization. Encasing that was an accordion style bar system that was neatly shelved in the walls and were pulled when needing to lock the entire upstairs.

Placing the most important in one of the smaller safes, Hector then focused on the larger items. They were of average weight for being shipped, but some felt unusually heavy for standard shipping like metal horseshoes. With a heave, he let out a sigh just in time of another crack of lightning and a boom of thunder.

"Once these are done the first of the storm should be here. The horses in the back are secured...everything is tied down...I'm betting things over at your shop must be safe...'ey, you ever thought of getting a second job Alex? The post office can use any help it can get, even part time."

@neobendium

Status
Not open for further replies.