Lethal Reword 5: True Mirage

The guard known as Ockham nods, "Yes - we'll be happy to include you. Having only seven standing members of the militia... well..." He turns away for a moment, scratching his head. Renard picked up the slack, nodding, "It'll be tough. I think having you there - both as an adventurer and a powerful ally of nature - will improve our chances of surviving the night... might do some help for morale, too."

Rancher smiles quietly with a nod, not looking to anyone in particular - still very blind.

Salyssa tugged on Rancher's sleeve, before whispering in his ear. Rancher nods, "Ah... yeah, that's a pretty good idea." He looks over at the group that still remained, "There is a place you can stay while you are here. One of the militia - a bachelor - left his house when he fell in the same attack that slew my father and blinded me. You are free to stay there - and free to tell your friends you can stay there when they return from their meeting... it will definitely be a mess, but having a base of operations might do you some good."

"Your hositally... hispit... hos-pit-all-it-y," Cobalt stutters, before sounding out the word slowly with a look of determination, "Is... refreshing. I believe I will be joining my companions in that place... if only to clean it up, likely... Are we excused?" He inquires.

Rancher nods, "Yes - you may do as you like, as long as it is not counterproductive to our survival."

"You're wise for adding that part in there, I think." Cobalt jokes, before turning, slithering through the corridor. He takes a moment to look at the others gathered... it is a very blank look... before smiling and continuing his slow slither away.

(As a Note: I'm going to try to stall the action, maybe get some more character interaction going in an effort to wait for the dice roller - or to locate a new one that can be proof'd.)

This shit is bananas.

Have a mentioned that yet? Pretty sure I did.

I'm sitting at the front of a carriage given to me by fuckin' Hermes, the Messenger of the Greek Gods, as we move through a goddamn medieval town. This shit can't be real, yet here I am, in a fuckin' village being attacked by fuckin' goblins.

On the bright side, we haven't encountered any giant rats yet.

Christ, that'd just make things too cliche.

I'm half-tempted to go with the others, but I'll be damned if I'm losing this flashy carriage to some thieving bastard when I've only just got it. So I sit tight at the front of the carriage, looking around at the village with a bemused look.
"So, uhh, this place got a name?" I ask one of the locals.

"Oh! Right. You're from off-continent, right?" A young local stated, smiling softly. She was dressed completely in white, with a finely-groomed topknot. A symbol to Thoth glistened on her chest, woven into the left side of her white shirt in a deep red color. "This is Rancher Hold," the woman continued, motioning throughout the area, "Named for the founding noble Rancher family... we thrive mostly on the surrounding farms, trading with the wandering halfling caravan that makes it's route along here for things we can't easily get."

The woman scratches her cheek a bit, sighing up at the Manor itself. "Or we would be, if it weren't for the goblins. I've used up all the magic Thoth has graced me with today blessing the crossbow bolts of our defenders. I should probably be doing something, but... seeing you lot come in was so... interesting to me, I had to check it out." She smiled, somewhat embarrassed. "You travel with a colorful lot of characters. Makes me wonder how you all could ever meet... I mean, you've even got a Treant with you, and they hardly ever leave their fey forests... or the bearded men. I thought for sure I'd never get to see representatives of the North... from what I had heard, they occupy themselves with beating the snot out of each other and feasting..."

She blinks for a moment. "Ahh... Verbose today, aren't I? Sorry if I was rambling. My name's Rain... after the weather. I'm an initiate of Thoth, under the Church of the Sacred Duty."

I stop myself smiling at her name, immediately thinking of the character Michelle Rodriguez played in that Resident Evil movie.

I don't think I can really do film chat with these guys, though.

They might think I'm a nutter.
"Well, nice to meet you Rain. I'm Daveth," I reply, reaching down from the caravan to shake her hand. Very British, I know, but hey, even in a weird fantasy world in a village under attack by goblins, manners maketh man, and all. "And yeah, we're an odd bunch, I'll definitely give you that. We got the tree fella and then the big snake-man thing." I scratch my head for a moment, chuckling at it all. "We kinda just got... thrown together, I suppose. It's a long story."

I still don't know if we're supposed to reveal the Gods dragged us away from our world to this one, so I'm keeping that on the down-low.

Wouldn't want to piss my new friends off having just met them.

"So, uh... What now?" Ordo asked of his two female companions, taking the initiative to start walking, leading them outside and to the front of the manor as they talked. He could see the carriage they had come into town on, out of the corner of his eye.

"Really not much to do, aside from... Uh... Well, talkin', I guess. So what do you do? I mean, like..." He crossed his arms and raised a hand to his chin, tapping it. "Not like, "Oh, I work at a Starbucks!" but like, what... Do you do, here? I mean, I got all sorts of stuff swimming in my head, things to do I didn't know were possible. I mean, yeah, before I could swing a sword and know where and how to stick it, but now...? Well, check this out."

Taking a few steps back, Ordo drew his katana in a swift, practiced step, and in the same movement, the sword was suddenly lit ablaze. Ordo held the sword in front of him in a two-handed grip, half-battle stance, half-keeping the bloody thing away from him!

"It's... not hot, but... Uh... Don't touch it, all the same."

"Huh. Is that the sword, or you?" Adra walked around him, carefully looking at what he'd done.
"I'd need to meditate before I could show you my more crazy abilities, but I have some martial arts skills. The more crazy abilities include..fire breathing, wings, teleportation..tentacles, but I only think I'd use that if I got lonely.."

"That's all me, baby!" He said with a grin, and nearly dropped his sword when she mentioned something about using tentacles when lonely. He started working on a returning quip, but decided against it. Maybe some other time.

Gaining a bit more confidence in handling his fiery brand, he swung the sword in a few practice swings around himself before, with a small measure of concentration, extinguishing the blade. It was cool to the touch.

"Yeah, I got a few more wild ones too... I can, check this, turn invisible. And I know some... really incredible sword techniques; hell, combat techniques." He puffed his chest as he sheathed his katana. "Those goblins are going to shit themselves when they're forced to deal with us."

Cobalt, having finally slithered his way to the house in question, opened it... and recoiled immediately. "Good gods of Olympus, are they trying to kill us!?" He exclaimed, holding an arm to his nose. With a sigh and a shake of his head, he slithered in. "...I'd better get to work..." It was then that the large snake-man began to do just that - clean. The others were all off in town, occupying themselves in other ways, anyway... might as well come home to a clean house...

Rain extends her own dainty, soft hand, offering a curtsy of greeting to the 'shake'. "Pleasure to meet you, Daveth... part of me wants to refer to you as 'Sir' Daveth, but you aren't dressed as a knight. Habitual, I suppose." She shrugs, looking about for a moment... then she stops, tilting her head upward and closing her eyes.

"Ah. I see." She states, seemingly to no one in particular. With a smile at Daveth, she waves to him to follow her. "I just got a Sending - you've been given a place of residence nearby, along with your party. You can place your cart there. I've been told that the rest of your party will be checking out the village - you might as well, too."

Sanar watched Ordo's display, hanging back but it seemed the others were waiting for her turn to speak so she stepped forward. "I knew how to use a sword before I came here, and remember I had a crossbow, but this.." she indicated her bow, is new to me though if I have it I must know how to use it, right? Also..." She draw her longsword and held it in one hand and focused on the blade and nothing else linking to another plane. Negative energies cracked to life around her sword in a black cloud and remained for a short time as she swung her sword in front of her before fading before she sheathed her blade.

"No, I'm definitely not a knight..." I begin, but then stop and blink once as Rain pulls some sorta stoner face and mutters to herself. She explains this as a 'sending' though, so I guess it's normal.

If you can call anything in this world 'normal'.

Still no giant rats, however. This is a good thing.

Nodding to Rain, I move the cart off so it trundles along beside her, still talking as we go. "So magic's kinda a part of everyday life for you guys here at Rancher Hold, huh? What with the whole blessing of crossbow bolts and communicating at a distance with it."

Adra watched the displays, her eyes still hidden behind the glasses.
"..Huh. Well, now that the purpose of this meeting is over, let's go back. Rancher should have organized some housing for us by now. I need to go claim a bed before we run out and I have to sleep on the floor." She started heading back to the main room, walking quickly.