Let the games begin (steampunk RP)

[spacer]Elizabeth was fighting outside the arena? Lena frowned. Not even an hour had passed since they'd ended their last match! Had she been fighting in the lounge? Had someone seen her? For someone who cared so much about her position in the games, she didn't seem to mind putting everything at risk when the impulse struck. Lena hoped she hadn't done anything illegal. The press knew how to ruin a player's career, and they could do so with far less ammunition.[/spacer]
[spacer]But Elizabeth's affairs were her own. She was an adult. Who was Lena to say how she should behave? So Lena bit her tongue and turned away, but not before catching a glimpse of Courtney, who seemed more tacit than usual. That poor girl, thought Lena. She's going to grow up thinking violence and aggression are the answers to her problems.[/spacer]
[spacer]Lena took a step toward Courtney, unsure of what to say but certain that she wanted to say something. Before she had the chance, Fandrim began to speak to her.[/spacer]
[spacer]"As for you," he said, "you were about to say something to our illustrious leader before he left. Don't think I can't read you just as well as he can… What's wrong, little one? You can talk to me – it was my chest they crushed, not my ears or head."[/spacer]
[spacer]"I…" Lena began. She tucked a few stray curls behind her ear. "I just thought some fresh air might be nice." She flicked her eyes in Elizabeth's direction before continuing. "Really, Drim, I'm fine. My problems are not the sort you can fix."[/spacer]
[spacer]With a shrug, Lena turned away once again. She went to the closet, retrieved a small towel, and wet it at the sink. She pressed the cool cloth against her face and around her neck, but it wasn't enough.[/spacer]
[spacer]"I need a shower," she announced, to no one in particular. "I'll catch up in the city."[/spacer]

`~.~` `~.~` `~.~`

[spacer]Under a hot stream of pressurized water, Lena slowly relaxed her muscles. The citrus bath soaps refreshed her senses and energized her. She inhaled deeply and rested her head against the tile wall as water ran down her face and steam engulfed her body.[/spacer]
[spacer]While drying off, and just as Lena had begun to perk up, a sudden question flashed through her mind, one she had asked herself many times before: What am I doing with my life? She stared at herself in the mirror, horrified. For the first time, her answer was simply,[/spacer]
[spacer]"I don't know."[/spacer]

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Courtney gripped her stuff cat tighter, she murmured something quietly. She gently kissed the cat's head.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elizabeth sat down with her sister, she pulled the red eyed girl into a hug. She gently stroked her hair, She began singing.

"Little child, be not afraid
The rain pounds harsh against the glass
Like an unwanted stranger
there is no danger
I am here tonight

Little child, be not afraid
Though thunder explodes and lighting flash illuminates your tear stained face
I am here tonight
And someday you Will know
That nature is so
And the same rain that draws you near me falls on rivers and land, forests and sand
Makes the beautiful world that you see
In the morning,"

She cuddled Courtney as she fell asleep, she closed her eyes and rocked lightly.

(Here is the song-http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mlmhMS_luX8)

Oliver finished talking with the officials and headed back to the lounge. He noticed Elizabeth having a tender moment with her sister on the couch. Sarina and he weren't like that. Sarina was a bit more independent. She would give Oliver a hug and kiss on the cheek when he would pick her up from school, but that was it. When Olivers parents passed, Sarina had stepped up as best she could. Oliver made sure to always tell her how well she was doing. Oliver shrugged off the thought of his parents and gathered up his things. He looked for Lena, but she seemed to be gone. He heard the water running in the shower room and walked to the door. Oliver knocked on the door and said "Lena, It's me Oliver." After a few seconds of silence he figured it was safe to go in. Ever the gentlemen, Oliver kept his head and eyes down, just in case.

"I am heading out now. I'm heading to New Millennium Park in Mid-Town. There's some nice stores down there I want to check out. Meet you there?" Oliver said over the sound of the rushing water.

"Yeah, sure thing Oliver." Lena replied.

Oliver walked back to the others and told them the same thing. "I'll be at the park guys. See you around."

The lounge was in a high spirits. The Rowley boys were up against the Green Bay Grunts. Oliver looked threw the viewing window and saw the match. The Rowleys were winning. They had the grunts cornered. The brothers were casting and shooting at the grunts in the flashiest way possible. Flipping in the air unnecessarily and practically posing with every shot. The grunts were all ex-military, but they looked more like cornered rats. They weren't putting up much of a fight. "Perhaps they were injured early on in the match?" Oliver thought. Oliver wasn't worried about the Rowleys. He was confident that Circle could take them. They were all flair and no technique.

Oliver descended to the lower levels of the arena and headed out the exit. The city was loud and seemed chaotic. Oliver always found the city relaxing. He was typically most at peace when his environment was intense. He could filter the mayhem and respond with calculated actions. Oliver walked to the sky-tram and boarded it. He sat down and looked out the window. The Arena was in High-Town. It was one of the few places that rich people and low income people mingled. He saw people walking on the sky walks going about their daily routines. Air ships floated in and out of docks dropping off and picking up people and cargo. The cart jostled as it came into the drop stop. Oliver stepped off the tram and walked along the sky walk. In the city, Oliver could just blend in. Most people wouldn't notice him as Oliver of the Circle. He kept his head down and eyes forward.

The smells of the city were as diverse as its people. He smelt the typical city smog. There was also all the food he could smell. Restaurants and food carts were everywhere in the city. Oliver walked by a doughnut shop and had to resist the urge to go buy some. He didn't have the money to just splurge it on fatty foods whenever he wanted. A sound from across the street grabbed his attention. Some free runners were climbing up the side of the building. Oliver used to run with a group like that in high school. Rail hoppers, the common name for that sort of group, got their name because they would move through the city by jumping from platform to platform. They would drop down, climb up, jump across, and use grapple shots to ascend up. It wasn't strictly legal. Free running in a park was typically okay for people to do, but not in the city. People had gotten injured and some even died while rail hopping. Oliver stopped because his mom had heard what he was doing and balled her eyes out. She hated the thought that her son might die by being reckless.

Oliver continued his walk thinking about the next game. He thought of ways he could better utilize his team's strengths. It wasn't long before he arrived at the park. He went to the typical meeting place, the bench by the Blue Bean. Oliver sat down and waited for someone to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elizabeth gently set Courtney down on the chair, she brushed a few of her bangs away before walking out she grabbed one of her expensive coats. She pulled it on pulling her hair out of it as she walked out.

"Hey Drey, I need you to watch Courtney, she's sleeping in one of the chairs in the lounge right know," she said before leaving the building.

She walked slightly, she didn't quite look like any of the other girls, but she could pretend to be like them. She had brought a jacket to hide her wing, she always got strange looks because of her almost white skin.

All eyes turned to the doors as Abdul Jaleer walked into the lounge. The muscled Iranian unsettled most people. His bald tattooed head was his most noticeable feature. The air caster walked up to the sign ups for one on one duels. It was time for Abdul to make some money. The man at the sign up booth was a small but well dressed man. He sported a large curly mustache. The small man wasn't paying attention. He was looking down on a fancy pocket watch that he had in his hand. Abdul waited for a a few moments, but the tiny man didn't seem to notice. Abdul set his large hands on the booth with loud thump. The man shrieked and dropped his pocket watch.

"Sorry, sir how may I a-a-assist you?" studdered the man

"You can s-s-sign me up for the one on one match" mocked the bald man.

The small man narrowed his eyes and assumed pouting stance. "Well sir, do you have any money to put down?" Said the small gentlemen.

"Yes. Five hundred. Now sign me up. My name is Abdul Jaleer." And with that Abdul went to his typical prep room and went through his pre fight routine. Abdul had trained in Muy Thai most of his life. His strikes were fast and strong. He was quick on his feet, but also as solid as a wall.

Reactions: NinjaCat07
Elizabeth returned minutes later, she walked over to Courtney, she gently stroked her sister's hair smiling. She walked over to the shower.

[spacer]The revelation shifted its presence ever so gradually into Lena's consciousness, and exposed itself in such minute increments that when it was fully realized in the forefront of Lena's mind, it pitched her into a state of vacant sentience. Without noticing, she had drifted through the stadium's maze of hallways, into the vibrant streets of Chicago's wealthiest tier, and onto the first tram headed for Mid-Town.[/spacer]
[spacer]Lena swayed to the motion of the carriage, and slowly came out of her stupor. First, she heard the rattle of the tram, the whir as it glided over the tracks. Then, the crinkle of a newspaper, the incomprehensible murmur of a couple's conversation, someone's muffled cough. When Lena looked up, a gray-haired woman was smiling at her.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Is that a Ridley dress you're wearing?" asked the woman. Her keen eyes sparkled.[/spacer]
[spacer]Lena blinked and looked down. "It is," she said, somewhat surprised herself. She wore an olive frock, embellished only with a collar of delicate lace and a slight puff at the shoulder – her Mid-Town attire.[/spacer]
[spacer]"It's beautiful," said the woman. "I'd wear Ridleys every day if I could afford them. Your husband must be doing well for himself."[/spacer]
[spacer]"I'm not married," Lena replied, almost too quickly.[/spacer]
[spacer] "No?" the woman straightened her back and leaned forward at the news. Her innocent spark was gone. She narrowed her eyes; a knowing smile tugged at the corners of her thin lips. "But there is someone, isn't there?"[/spacer]
[spacer] "I beg your pardon?" Lena frowned.[/spacer]
[spacer]The woman lowered her voice, whispered conspiratorially, "No one wears a Ridley if they're not trying to impress someone."[/spacer]
[spacer]"Perspective is a matter of privilege," Lena muttered. What sort of life had given this woman the impression that Ridley was an elevated brand?[/spacer]
[spacer]"What was that?"[/spacer]
[spacer]"Nothing," said Lena, "I'm not trying to impress anyone." The woman eyed her suspiciously but let the conversation dissolve. They were complete strangers, after all.[/spacer]

`~.~` `~.~` `~.~`

[spacer]Though buried half a mile under Chicago's bustling High-Town, Mid-Town's New Millennium Park still enjoyed a generous amount of direct sunlight and un-recycled air. The shadow of a sky tram or airbus passed overhead occasionally, blocking out the sun. Some likened the shadows to clouds, but Lena disliked the comparison. Clouds were silent, delicate, and ethereal. The skyways hummed, buzzed, clanked, and ticked in constant dissonance. And the layer of metropolis above was solid – it did not dim the light as the clouds did, it extinguished it.[/spacer]
[spacer]A low-altitude zeppelin lazily floated by. "We're now flying over New Millennium Park, one of Chicago's must-see locations," announced the airship's guide. Lena walked in the dirigible's shadow, looking up at the bright-faced tourists looking down at her. There was nothing she wouldn't give to see New Millennium Park for the first time as these people were, to wonder at how this verdant oasis could thrive beneath so many tons of steel and glass. Truly, Lena was still awed, but walked along the curving pathways at a faster clip than she did upon her first visit. Oliver was waiting – no need to smell every rose.[/spacer]
[spacer]As Lena rounded the final bend, and the park's iconic Blue Bean sculpture came into view, so did the handsome face of Oliver Reese. It often startled Lena to see him out of armor. In glimpses, before and after training or matches, she hardly noticed. He was her teammate, preparing for and unwinding from work. But here in the middle of the city, out in public, dressed in ordinary clothes… The sight was surreal.[/spacer]
[spacer]"I hardly recognized you," she said as she sat next to him, and smoothed out her skirt. She looked at him with her head slightly cocked to the side. "Mid-Town looks different on you." It made Lena wonder if Mid-Town looked different on her.[/spacer]
[spacer]Then, after a pause, she said, "So, when the others arrive, where are we going?"[/spacer]

Elizabeth came out, she was dressed in a long sleeve shirt, leggings, and her boots. "Courtney get dressed," she said tossing her some clothes. She watched as the girl scrambled to the bathroom. Courtney was wearing almost the same as her, but without the heeled boots just regular boots

They walked down the hallways Elizabeth leading the way, when they stepped onto the street Courtney quickly grabbed Elizabeth's hand like she knew she should. They walked together down the street, it wasn't uncommon for the Edwards sisters to walk down the street together, it's only the wired when Elizabeth is alone.

They entered the park joining Lena and Oliver, Courtney smiled brightly at everyone.

"I hardly recognized you."

The familiar voice of his friend shook him from his thoughts. For a brief moment he tried to remember what he was thinking about. Was he even thinking of anything or did he just totally space out? His thoughts changed when he looked at Lena. In fact, for the first time, Oliver really looked at her. He had seen her before, but this time he actually saw her for who she was. He saw not the earth caster, not the daughter of the rich and lofty Mr. Rowley, and not his team mate. He saw Lena. Her olive skin was clear and healthy. Her dark curly hair was thick and full. She was physically fit and well dressed, though Oliver had certainly seen fancier things on her. But this simple dress looked better on her then the fancy dresses. Often times women were out shone by what they wore. You look at what they wear and not the peroson. In this dress, it was Lena who out shone the dress. Her calm and collected demeanor gave off the appearance that she had everything under control. She seemed like a strong self sufficient women. Though Oliver knew better then that.

"Mid-Town looks different on you."

Oliver looked down at himself. He wore his typical black breaches and black boots. Oliver had never been one for shoes. Not dependable enough for him. He wore a flat white collared shirt. It wasn't puffy or noticeable. Olivers typical grey vest was buttoned up over his shirt, and only looked a little worn. The tails of his high collared grey coat went down to his knees, and the front ended at his waist. Oliver didn't typically deviate from that style. He was a simple guy when it came to clothes. Oliver was not sure if he looked different, he certainly didn't feel different. Although, he did feel relaxed. At the moment the pressures of life seemed to be afar off.

"So, when the others arrive, where are we going?"

"Um.....we will go....uh.." Oliver was having a hard time talking to Lena. He was still a bit overwhelmed by the sight of her. A twinge of frustration crept up inside him. He had never felt so awkward around Lena before, why were things different now? "A friend of my father owns a small traveling independent tech shop not far from here. I haven't seen him since mom and dad passed." Oliver said, unintentionally leaving the conversation on a sour note. After a brief pause, which felt like a minute, he resumed talking. "Anyways, he's like an uncle to me. So I'd like to see him. Haha, you will like him Lena. He's rather...eccentric." Oliver said with a smile. The man was an odd ball for sure. Oliver found himself not wanting to talk about crazy Richard, that was his fathers friends name. He wanted to talk about Lena. "So, I think Mid-town suits you well Lena. In High-Town, people have to put on a show. Always look better or different then what you really are. You can't show yourself to people, you have to show them who they want to see. In Ground-Town, a lot of people are out to get more then they have. It's hard to trust people down there. But here.....I don't know, we can just be who we are." Oliver had not meant to say so much. It just sort of poured out. Oliver wasn't finished though. He felt he had one more thing to say to her. "Lena you are a beautiful woman and you don't need to ever put on a show for me. You're safe to be you." Oliver could see that he had caught Lena off guard with that statement. It was not Olivers attempt to gain favor with the caster women, but rather to let her know that she could be transparent with him. Oliver had no hidden motives. He wasn't trying to get something from her. Selfishness was not a trait of Oliver Reese. A few moments of silence passed between them. Oliver could see Lena processing what he had said. When it seemed she might respond, she stopped and fixed her eyes on something in front of them. Oliver followed her gaze and saw the Edward sisters approaching.

More frustration welled up inside him, though he did not show it. His face was blank. He wasn't upset at Elizabeth and Courtney. He was upset at the timing of their arrival. Of course they had no way of knowing that they were having a serious moment. Oliver glanced back at Lena, he saw the same strong look he had seen minutes ago. The sisters wouldn't pick up on anything. Oliver was glad that Lena had as much control as he did. He did not want anyone to assume anything about them.

"Hello ladies." Oliver said to the sisters who had just arrived.

Elizabeth nodded to Oliver as she sat down, Courtney sitting with her. She had her wing hidden unlike her sister who always had her wings in view.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Courtney looked at her sister frowning, she shrugged it off. She smiled again, she flexed her wings.