Let the games begin (steampunk RP)

Elizabeth's usual blank expression was long out the window. The best word for she felt now was pissed.

Her mind was running, she still had her gun, her wing wouldn't work. Which meant she had two blasts left. She narrowed her eyes as oliver tied Her wound.

She took a strap from her boot using it to keep her wing folded against her back.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Courtney gave a swift nod, but she was more worried about him getting hurt by Elizabeth. She would definitely be in a bad mood after this battle. She wasn't good with pain, 'maybe I can distract her,' she thought watching Elizabeth and Oliver run together in the field.

"Hey Drey, you shouldn't talk to my sister after this match," she suggested not looking at but drinking her hot chocolate, which she had almost forgot about.

Last edited by a moderator:
A rapid flurry of punches and kicks left both Fandrim and Celia panting for breath. They went straight back at each other. Her first punch, he turned aside with his forearm, her next he grabbed and held. She barely saw the uppercut that took her in the stomach coming - simply gasping is it took the wind from her. The shorter firecaster was strong, and as he spun a kick into her head he infused it with fire. That was the last elemental hit he needed to knock her out of the round...though he did regret the thunk of his boot against her helmet. The blue robed mechanic fell to her knees, dazed, and then to her side in defeat or exhaustion. Fandrim didn't know which. With a few quick steps he made his way to the edge of the platform to look down on Oliver and Elizabeth - they looked like they were doing fine.

Turning, his eyes widened as a disc flew at his face. Celia was obviously pissed off about getting kicked in the head, even with a helmet on, and the stone projectile clanged against his helmet - knocking him off of the tower. The hit didn't count in matters of scoring, but Fandrim smashed into the ground with an unpleasant thud, and lay there with a groan. Through the pain, he laughed softly, turning his face to spit out some blood. "That bitch" he murmured "Just like old times". Fighting hard to stay conscious, he dragged himself up and brushed himself off. He knew what a concussion felt like, and the fuzzy faintness in his skull certainly matched it. Have I broken any ribs? He wondered, patting down his armoured sides. He'd need to make sure later.

The firecaster had hardly noticed that the mist had dissipated and turned towards the crowd. The sigil of the circled dragon still flew proudly and he raised his fist to show the roaring crowd that he wasn't badly hurt. That was simple luck - he'd seen people die from a fall like that. A chant of "Dragon" started in the stands to his left, and he turned and bowed his head before staggering around the tower looking for more targets. There had to be at least one more of the enemy left to fight - he was sure.

Elizabeth spotted Fandrim, she nudged Oliver pointing to him, she heard the fans cheer when he lifted his arm. She chuckled dryly, "Show off!" She yelled the way he went.

She spit out blood looking for Lena, she quickly removed her goggles letting them lay on her neck. She saw Lena now nodding to herself.

[spacer]"See you on the other side," Lena said to Oliver before she left to pursue the fire caster alone.[/spacer]
[spacer]As the steam lifted, tower bases and walls came into view for the first time since the match began. With her field of vision cleared, Lena glanced up at the scoreboard. There were still two active Storm Chasers somewhere in the arena.[/spacer]
[spacer]Ping![/spacer]
[spacer]One of the Storm Chaser bulbs popped and withered into darkness. Now only one player was left on the opposing team. Lena just had to find her.[/spacer]
[spacer]"What are you waiting for?" called out a shrill voice from the distance. "Come and get me!"[/spacer]
[spacer]Lena's eyes darted left and right, but found no sign of her opponent. She summoned a few stone disks, and waited.[/spacer]
[spacer] "Hurry up, earth witch! You can't hold those rocks forever. The clock's ticking!"[/spacer]
[spacer] Blood rose to Lena's cheeks. Her pulse pounded in her ears. If she didn't act fast, she could get penalized for holding. She might also get hit.[/spacer]
[spacer]Lena jumped back. A fireball sizzled past her, inches from her face. Reflexively, Lena loosed one of her disks. It whizzed into the distance with no impact.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Not even close!" cried the fire caster. "Why don't you… look up?"[/spacer]
[spacer]Lena looked up. Peering over the edge of a nearby tower was an enormous girl swathed in Storm Chaser blue. She carried flickering flames in her hands and a dark spark in her eyes. "Catch!" she said, and hurled a series of blue-cored fireballs.[/spacer]
[spacer]They shot by Lena too quickly. She barely had time to react, to not mention fire an attack of her own. She jumped and rolled, pushing herself just to avoid a hit. Sweat beaded along her forehead, dripped off her temples, and dampened the back of her shirt. Somewhere above, malicious cackling rang out over the din of the stadium.[/spacer]
[spacer]The acrid stench of charred hair filled Lena's nostrils. She quickly patted out the flame in her curls, and glared at her opponent.[/spacer]
[spacer]If only Lena could rally her team for support without drawing too much attention.[/spacer]
[spacer]"You look tired, witch!" yelled the Storm Chaser. "Need a break?"[/spacer]
[spacer]Without a word, Lena flung up her remaining two disks. They darted toward the fire caster. She screamed and flinched, but the disks veered away, soaring higher and higher until they were far above the center tower. Lena kicked and twirled. Upon landing, she clapped her hands together.[/spacer]
[spacer]Crack! The disks collided. Dust and pebbles flew into the air and rained down on the arena.[/spacer]
[spacer] "Pretty trick, earth girl," sneered the fire caster, "but it's not going to earn you any – AHH!"[/spacer]
[spacer]Just in time, thought Lena. Her team had arrived.[/spacer]

Lenas disks exploded in a earthy cloud of dirt and pebbles. Just as they had rehearsed. Oliver had made them all make secret calls for help. Oliver moved with out thinking. He didn't need to make a command to go to her aid. They all knew what was supposed to happen. Oliver holstered his carbine and retracted his shield. He sprinted across the arena, running at full tilt. The tactician monkey vaulted over the first barricade and dove over the second. He could hear the crowd yelling for him to hurry. He came around the corner to see the scene. The fire caster had Lena in a bad spot. Oliver chided himself for not coming to Lenas aid sooner. Luckily for him the flame thrower was too preoccupied with taunting Lena to notice him.

The technician ran around the other side of the tower and pulled out his grapple shot. He shot the top of the tower then hooked the grapple shot on a caribeaner (sp?) on his waist. Oliver flipped the switch and the tightly wound cord pulled him up the side of tower. Once he was close to the top he unhooked himself while stepping onto the ledge. Oliver let the momentum carry him into a forward roll. Coming out of the forward roll he shot the mouthy fire caster in the back. If it wasn't for how solid she was, he would have knocked her off the tower.

"Ooo look who it is? Lover boy here to rescue the skinny brat. Come here so I can add a burn to your pretty face!" Taunted the girl as she unleashed a flurry of fire.

Oliver deployed his shield and took the hits. The force of fire actually caused him to stumble back. The large woman laughed and pressed the attack. "What's the matter pretty boy? Am I to hot for you?"

Oliver rolled his eyes at her. She needed to be shut up. Oliver held his shield ahead of him and charged. The fire caster laughed and laid down the heavy fire. Olivers arm ached. He couldn't hold on much longer. He had to do something drastic. He removed the cryo canister from his gun and threw it at the annoying woman. In doing so he got hit square in the chest, and fell to his back coming to a sliding stop. The woman sneered and blasted the cryo canister. Just as Oliver was hoping. He knew the hefty woman wouldn't dodge it, she was much to stocky for that kind of movement. The Canister exploded in a icy mist, covering her and the ground around her in a sheet of ice. It didn't count as a hit, but it was what Oliver needed. A distraction. Oliver got back up and covered the remaining ten feet as fast as he could. The mist settled just in time for the girl to see Oliver flying at her feet first. The flying drop kick knocked the girl backwards, sending her careening over the edge of the 15 foot tower.

The fire caster was not done yet. She turned herself in the air and blasted the ground with fire to slow her fall. She hit the ground hard. It was a miracle she didn't brake her ankles. She screamed and summoned fire to her fists. Little did she know, she landed right in front of Fandrim. By the time she realized it, it was too late. Fandrim lit into her, literally.

Elizabeth hissed at the woman's insults, God was she annoying. "Yo, fandrim do you mind if I finish this annoyance?" She asked smirking as she held up her gun. "I've got to blasts left, but I can end this in one," she said to herself.

He dodged a blast of flame, his armoured cloak flapping heavily as he spun on one foot. Fandrim could hardly move fast enough to get out of the way - his own fire going wide. This was not good - this was not good at all. He couldn't focus, his vision was turning black and was full of spots "Elizabeth!" He yelled, giving her his answer as a huge blast of flame took him in the stomach, crashing him back against the tower scaffold.

It was all black; ears ringing, eyes closed, blood slipping from the corner of his mouth. That had hurt a lot more than anything else from today. The firecaster spat the blood from his mouth, the dark red staining the arena sand. "Kill the bitch" He coughed, licking at dry lips, before his head lolled back and he passed out.

"My pleasure!" She yelled blasting the girl, she smirked when she screamed in pain. She aimed for her side, she pulled the trigger. She turned away without a word walking over to fandrim, she may have been skinny,but she didn't lack strength. She lifted the shorter man, she held his weight on her strong shoulder.

She walked back to the others, she ignored her hurting wing. She bit her bottom lip and hissed in pain.

Oliver dropped down from the tower and hit the ground in a roll. He jogged over to Sierra and took Fandrim from her. Using the the fireman carry he hoisted up the deceptively heavy man and started to the stage exit. Oliver was mad that his team had gotten beat up as much as they did. That stupid broad had caused more trouble for them then he would have hoped for. Now that the adrenaline was leaving his system, he could feel the pain his punctured thigh and burned chest. But compared to some of his other team, he was doing okay. Oliver lead the team to the healers box. Here there were dedicated magic healers and EMS units. They would rush out into the arena on strictly needed basis. Had Oliver left Fandrim on the field, they would have gone to him. Oliver laid Fandrim down on one of the beds in the Healer Box and breathed a sigh of relief. Fandrim was was getting really heavy. The healers went to work tending to his wounds and bringing him back to consciousness. Elizabeth sat on a chair as EMS stitched up her injury. If Elizabeth had it her way, she probably wouldn't allow any of them to touch her but Oliver had made it clear a while ago that that wasn't an option. Oliver wouldn't let the healers tend to him until his team was taken care of. Once he was sure they were fine, he allowed them to bandage his leg, and use magic to heal his burn. He would be okay, though the sting in his thigh would probably last the whole day. Once the team was all healed up, they boarded the lift that would take them to the lounge. There they would entertain fans and freshen up. And should some of them decide to make a little extra cash, they could go into a 1v1 match. Oliver was visibly tense. He didn't like entertaining fans and businessmen. He did his best to let Lena take the lead on such formalities. But quite often he found himself in conversations he would rather not be having with people he'd rather not be by.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Drey led Courtney back up to the lounge. His boss gave him a glare for being late. Drey simply gestured at Courtney, who was pointing at various things and giggling. The manager rolled his eyes and continued making the cocktail that he was making. "Hey, Courtney, I gotta collect my money." Drey said as he went to the wager table. Several man were waiting for him with sour looks on their faces. They were not happy to loose money. They handed Drey what they owed save one guy. He had has arms crossed and a scowl so pronounced that Drey thought the mans face must have always looked like that.

"You little rat! You some how knew this was going to happen. You rigged the match!" Accused the disgruntled man.

"What? How would I even do that?" Asked Drey incredulously.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No one really talked as the lift pulled them up to the lounge. Really wasn't much to discuss. Oliver told team they they did well, but that really all that he said. Oliver didn't know what any of them were thinking as they ascended. Oliver couldn't stop thinking about what was to come. The doors opened and immediately there was a barrage of flashes from cameras. Oliver couldn't help but shield his eyes with his hand. Oliver walked over to the left and took a deep breath as reporters rushed in asking a bunch of questions. Oliver looked to his right, Elizabeth was gone. Likely going some where to blow off steam. Fandrim looked like he was wanting to go punch some one. Oliver knew that Fandrim wouldn't stay very long. Oliver then glanced to his left at Lena, who appeared to be more relaxed then he was. Maybe she was faking it? Oliver couldn't tell.

"Tell us Mr. Reese! Did you expect the Storm Chasers to put up such a fight?"

"Oliver, what were you thinking when Elizabeth was injured?"

"Lena, is that a new outfit?"

"Miss Lena, why won't you join your brothers team?"

"Fandrim, will you be taking place in the one on one matches today?"

" Mr. Fandrim sir, is it true that you are dating Amanda Tellingsworth?"

The questions were getting over whelming. Oliver had to restrain himself from glaring that the one who asked about Lenas outfit. Why did that matter? Why didn't they ask her questions about the game? And who was Amanda? Did Fandrim even know an Amanda Tellingsworth? Oliver did his best to just focus on the questions that were directed at him.

"The Chasers were about as tough as I thought they would be....uh...when Elizabeth was hurt....I thought that she was injured but could still fight."

"Why wont the Circle accept any sponsors?" asked a rather loud gentlemen with big glasses.

"Because we don't want any" Oliver responded

"Why don't you want any?" asked a lady in a red dress.

"We don't need a sponsor." Oliver said. He was doing his best to not panic. After what seemed like for ever the arena marshal, a man named Doug Armbrecht, shoo'd the reporters away. Oliver would have breathed easier if it wasn't for the flock of fans that rushed in once the reporters were pushed away. Several girls in "I heart Oliver" corsets came in at him. The were squeaking with delight. Oliver tensed and tried to look for a way out, but he could see none. One grabbed his arm and asked "Buy me drink Oli?" another held out a marker and asked "Sign my chest?" while she pushed out her chest towards Oliver. He heard the other one say something like "Oliver I am your biggest fan, like ever!" It took everything Oliver had to not show panic on his face. Though surely some it of showed through. Oliver looked over to Lena, making eye contact. He silently mouthed the words "Help me".

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Listen, to be cheap, just pay what you owe." said Drey growing irritated.

"I'll show you cheap!" said the man as he pushed Drey into another man, who caught and held Drey. Courtney stepped in between and yelled at the man. "Get away you little brat!" responded the rude man.

"HEY! DON'T YOU TALK TO HER LIKE THAT!" Drey yelled as he struggled against his captor.

"What are you gonna do Drey?" taunted the man.

Drey saw Elizabeth fast approaching. He knew stuff was about to get real.

Elizabeth had just fixed her wing, she noticed Drey getting in trouble. Courtney stepped in the guys way. She slammed the glass of tea she had been drinking down. She glided forward her eyes narrowed and her arms crossed.

"I advise you let go of my sister and her friend," she said in a dark tone. Her gun hung from her belt, it made her look even more frightening.

"And if I don't? You what hit me with your purse," he said laughing. Elizabeth moved faster then you would have thought was possible. She pulled his face closer to her by his collar.

"Listen here, if you want to live let them go," she growled, fire literally showed in her eyes."oh no the vampire is threatening me," he said smirking, 'big mistake,' she thought before bringing her knee into the guy's groin.

She heard him gasp for air, she let him fall backwards. She set her boot on his throat as she sat back in the chair.

The oothers let go of Courtney and Drey to ccharge at Elizabeth, who whipped out her gun. She flapped her wing gaining power for her gun. She blasted one gun in the chest, and one in knee. The last one she blasted in the pelvis before moving her foot from the guy.

She aimed her gun at him, "get me a glass of wine," she said glaring. The guy gulped and nodded before running off.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Courtney ran over to her sister hugging her, "shhh, it's okay," Elizabeth soothed stroking her sister's hair. Courtney cried holding onto her sister, "they won't hurt you again, I'll protect you," Elizabeth sounded so caring and kind as she hugged her sister.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Elizabeth glared at Drey, "and you I expected you to protect my sister, not get her into trouble!" She snapped gently setting her sister in the chair. She walked over to Drey, "She could have been seriously injured, what were you thinking!...you know what, I don't care!" She growled before sweaping her foot under his tripping him, she shoved his face into the floor. She sat back down, she went back to soothing her sister as if nothing happened.

(In case you guys want something to listen to while you read. This is what I was listening to when I wrote the below)

It was dark. Everything was dark. Fandrim couldn't see anything at all. The blackness had closed around him. Blood dribbled from his mouth - slow and gentle it left a crimson trail down his chin. He shook his head, trying to clear it, trying to bring some light back. "Where is the flow...the ether..." Murmured the firemage, his magical senses casting out around him; it wasn't there. He couldn't find it. The constant blanket of power that he had been tapped into since childhood was missing. His heart dropped like a stone into his stomach. The fire was gone. He began to cast around himself, arms out, fingers searching for some refuge to hold on to.

He couldn't find it. A light, brighter than anything else he'd ever seen, flared around and above him. A thousand faces stared down, and began to scream. The firemage clamped his palms over his ears like tight screws, dropping to his knees as the concussive sound buffeted at him, shaking him to his very soul. It was the hand on his shoulder that ceased it all - small, gentle fingers wrapping around the tense outcropping of muscle and bone. The contact spread calm through him and eventually, the screaming orchestra stopped. "Drin..." Whispered a soft voice. "Drin, son, open your eyes. Its all right now." Fandrim slowly lowered his hands to look up at who was speaking, the voice soft and womanly. He couldn't quite make out a face - a hood shrouding it in gentle shadow, but his eyes immediately picked out the family crest sewn to the collar of the figure's cloak. "Stand up son, its all okay" It hurt to stand, and the firemage didn't know why. When he was on his feet, the figure was even shorter than he was.

"My darling, darling boy, you shouldn't fear..." Softly, the figure raised her hands to his cheeks, long sleeves falling away to reveal smooth skin. When he saw the ring on her finger, Fandrim knew exactly who stood before him
"Mother?" He asked, his confusion obvious in his tone. "Mother...how? What...are you doing here?" The question was barely asked before a deluge of shame and horror spiralled from his tongue "Mother! I've lost...I've lost my Arcana! I can't provide for you any more-I can't help you and father, I can't make you proud - please,e please forgive me-" Before he could go on, he was pulled into a sharp hug.

"Never doubt yourself"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

He woke up. The face of a magical healer was staring down into his, soft green eyes concerned and focused. The pain in Fandrim's chest had faded, though the burn marks all over the steel of his breastplate wouldn't fade for quite some time. "Mr. Koss? How do you feel?" The medic asked, her hand prodding at his chest. When the firemage looked up at her he breathed out loudly through his nostrils - flame following breath. The connection to the ether was back, he could feel his body tingling with Mana - could feel the fire flowing again. It was in his blood, and in his heart. A sigh of relief broke from both his, and the EMS worker's throats, and he laughed at that.

"Am I good to get up?" The wounded fighter asked. He'd taken worse wounds in the past, but it was always good to check with the medics. A nod gave him his permission, and he pulled himself from the small stretcher cot they'd had to set up. Everything hurt - he could still taste blood in his mouth - and when Fandrim stood it wasn't with his usual strength and confidence. "The Dragon still lives" Grumbled the Firemage before he set off through the back of the medical tent.

When he reached the lift, he could see that the team were dinged up. Lena looked her usual cool self, Oliver had taken a shot to the thigh and Elizabeth had damaged her wing - it was all usual minor stuff. Fandrim was the worst, and he smirked at the rest of them, falsely squaring his shoulders, even though it hurt. He didn't want to belay the idea that he was the strong, indomitable tank of the group. They know my true heart, but after battle, it is best to reassure your comrades of your power. It was a lesson he'd learned when younger - if his father was still smiling and strong after a knockback, then the whole family would continue to have hope and fight on. He clapped Oliver on the shoulder, nodded to Elizabeth, and slumped against the Elevator rail beside Lena. A heavy sigh broke from his hurting chest.

"Good fight"

The barrage of questions broke from the crowd of reporters just as the light of their camera flashes smashed into the eyes of the Circle. The three who chose to stay and endure the mass of inquiries stood in a sea of inquisitive souls. Fandrim caught sight of a few wearing Dragon Head Armbands and waved to them - he'd always made sure his fans knew not to get in his face, but he would acknowledge them. He felt his leg almost give out, and acting as casually as possible supported himself using Lena's shoulder.

When he heard his name, Fandrim found a young reporter with slicked back ginger hair and a notepad prodding at his side, face adorned with a scraggly moustache that had barely filled in. This one obviously hadn't heard how angry he could get. "Fandrim, will you be taking part in the one on one matches today?". The firemage did an internal prodding of both his body and pride.
"Maybe in the evening" Was all he replied.
"Mr. Fandrim sir, is it true that you are dating Amanda Tellingsworth?" Another, older reporter asked. The modern, stylish haircut and Chicago Teller press badge revealed her as a tabloid writer.
"No, I don't believe I am Miss! But if Ms. Tellingsworth would make herself known to me I might find the time to meet with her" He chuckled. A few of the reporters chuckled with him. Every match, at least one person asked him if he was dating someone or the other - just as they fixated on Olivers combat strategy, and how he felt about injuries, or Lena's outfits (He could see why. He'd caught himself looking before and after battles in the past) or her family. Pointless drivel most of the time.

"Fandrim! How does it feel to be bested by an old Rival in Celia Le'cosse?"
The firemage felt his eye twitch slightly, turning to look at the reporter who'd asked an inane question. "Perhaps I should put you in my armour, shoot you in the head with a disc gun and then slam a firebolt into your chest? Then you would know how it feels to be me at the moment...though a reedy stick like you - " And the boy was tall and thin " - would probably break far easier than I". A flush of anger or embarrassment shot across the tall reporter's pale face and he fell back.

He could see Oliver getting overwhelmed. Security never managed to keep out the stranger demographic of his fandom. Growing impatient, and wanting a drink with his teammates, Fandrim decided to take action "Friends, friends!" He called, voice ringing out above the questioning storm "Let us have our rest! We've fought a hard fight and deserve that at least, do we not?" He accented this with a glance at a pair of security guards off in the corner. He knew that the respectful fans would leave immediately. He moved over towards Oliver, nearly hobbling, and pushed him into Lena - placing himself between him and his ravenous female admirers. "Ladies, ladies, step back just a little! You wouldn't want your pretty boy to fall and hurt his poor face now would you? We're all very tired"

For him, at least, that last part was true. He saw a few of the women shrink back at the thought of harming their object of idolization. Like the sea parting for Moses (Who Fandrim was convinced had been a skilful mage) the reporters and fans parted to reveal a path to the team's private lounge booth.

"Shall we? I need a drink" He grumbled, determinedly setting off towards the sanctuary, waving to a bartender - the man had grown accustomed to Fandrim's usual and would bring it across.

[spacer]Was it though? thought Lena. Had it been a good game? For her teammates, perhaps. Granted, they were looking worse for wear, but with hardly any help from her they had won the match and earned valuable player points besides. Each hit they scored increased their individual value to sponsors and recruiters. Burgeoning athletes were often told to disregard these numbers because of their inaccurate portrayal of a player's skills. Deep down, though, Lena cared. Compared to her bruised and battered teammates, her small scratches and welts were nothing. Lena looked practically untouched, as if she hadn't played at all. Had she been absent from the game, would her team have performed as well? Lena couldn't definitively say no. Something nagged her, prodded her brain until she grew weary from doubt: did she truly belong in the arena?[/spacer]
[spacer]There was no use in wondering. The Circle had won. The team would advance. And as the elevator doors opened to an undulating mass of reporters and fans, Lena had more immediate things to worry about.[/spacer]
[spacer]Flashbulbs popped, cameras smoked, and a dozen or so mechanical microphones extended toward each team member. In the sea of faces before her, Lena caught a glimpse of the unmistakable Rowley grin, but a sudden weight on her shoulder pulled her thoughts away.[/spacer]
[spacer]Lena found Fandrim leaning against her. Concern flashed across her eyes. He shouldn't have left the Healer Box so soon.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Oliver –" Lena started, but her words were lost in the commotion of queries and chatter. Oliver was preoccupied with his admirers. Lena wasn't sure where Elizabeth had gone, but somewhere above the noise she thought she heard shouting. The weight on her shoulder lifted suddenly, but before Lena could speak to Fandrim, a reporter begged her attention.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Miss Rowley," he said, "a reliable source tells me you had a meeting with your father right before your match. Are you finally considering your brothers' team?"[/spacer]
[spacer]There was that grin again, pearly white and smug, just beyond the interviewer. Not three feet away flashed a second identical grin, and then somewhere a little farther to the right was a third. Leo, Michael, and Robbie Rowley had deigned to descend from their private airship and mingle with the common folk. But they came in disguise. They wore tinted spectacles and ill-fitting suits, and their hair was uncharacteristically slicked back.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Of course," muttered Lena.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Sorry? What was that?" asked the reporter.[/spacer]
[spacer]"I already have a team," said Lena. She watched her brothers' grins flicker. Why had they come?[/spacer]
[spacer]"But wouldn't you rather fight alongside family?" asked another reporter.[/spacer]
[spacer]"You don't know my family," Lena replied. A chorus of awkward laughter rang out from the nearby press. By the time Lena looked for her brothers again, they had gone. She caught Oliver's eye instead and read his lips.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Help me," he mouthed.[/spacer]
[spacer]"How?" Lena mouthed back. She raised her thick eyebrows and shrugged.[/spacer]
[spacer]In response, Fandrim's booming voice rang through the crowd. He shielded Lena and Oliver, made a path, and led them to the team's private room.[/spacer]
[spacer]Once away from prying ears and recording devices, Lena turned to Fandrim.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Sit," she ordered. To Oliver she added, "He's not well."[/spacer]

With a scowl, Fandrim leant his head against Lena's shoulder for a moment - she was the perfect height for him to do that easily, then he collapsed into a low couch "For the love of the gods, they never shut up, do they? Especially not about that family of yours" The firemage looked up at the earth caster, then patted the seat beside him. "You're too fussy over me, Lena! I'm a mage too remember - I've probably broken more of my own bones than any of my opponents..." he paused for a second "But, I suppose everyone needs a break sometimes...especially pretty boy with all his pretty girls!" With a laugh, he gestured towards Oliver. "I may not be well, but I'm tough...help me get this off, will you?" He began to attack the buckles of his armoured chestplate, his fingers clumsy and slow - he was still bleary from the concussion, and the leather was hard to work with after being badly burned and battered.

Thinking about it, yes - Lena was important to the team. He knew that the rest of them all had much higher combat ratings, but they were offensive players - Fandrim especially. He hardly ever deployed his shield, much to the chagrin of the more caring aspects of the group. Without their faithful earthcaster, there were many matches where they would've lost, and many arguments that would've torn the team apart. He supposed that her strength outside of combat was more valuable than that on the inside - she cared. If she was just another fighter then the circle would lack a fundamental part of itself. It'd be more of an oval, with certain personalities trying to tear it apart to gain greater strength for themselves.

Oliver was more then relieved for Fandrim intervention. He hated those types of fans. He could only imagine how they had even managed to get into the lounge. He leaned close to Fandrim as they walked into the lounge and said "I owe you one."

"He's not well."

Oliver looked at Fadnrim again.. Oliver realized that he was didn't look good at all. Knowing Fandrim, he was probably worse then he looked. The tactician snickered at Fandrims joke about the girls. Fandrim knew that Oliver hated that type of attention from people. Oliver went to the cooler that they had in their private lounge. He grabbed a glass bottle of water and brought it over to Fandrim. He handed it to Fandrim and pulled up a chair to face him. "When I was little, my dad thought it would be a neat idea to have a family pet. I was so excited until my dad came home with a potbelly pig. Not a dog, not a cat, not even a stupid fish but a little pig. I couldn't get that stupid hunk of ham to do anything. He would get into the pantry and eat our food. You couldn't walk him anywhere because he would pull away and squeal like rabid demon spawn from hell when you tried to pull him back. That pig was the stubbornest creature I had ever met, that is until I met you Fandrim." Oliver said with a smile. The first time he had smiled all day. Thinking of his dad and that dumb pig made him happy and the realization that his friend Fandrim out shone a pig when it came to being pig headed was something he couldn't help but find amusing. "For real though Drim, how are you holding up? Do you need a healer or just time?" Oliver started to help undo the buckles for Fandrim, but in truth he had never been adept undoing buckles in armor. It always took him twice as long as the others to undo his gear. Lena would end up doing most if not all of unbuckling.

Oliver looked over to Lena who was nearby. Olivers unusual keen sense of people told him something was off with her. He had no way of knowing what it was. Not one for social cues Oliver questioned her on it. "Lena, is everything ok? You seem....off." Oliver said plainly.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Drey hit the ground hard. Brightness flashed in his eyes and his head throbbed. "Ugh...women." Was the only thing he thought as he laid there. He went to his knees and rubbed his hurt face as he looked at one of the gamblers body guards, who had some type of blaster tucked behind his coat. Drey only saw it because the man bent down to pick up his boss. Security was rushing in. Elizabeth had fired her gun. They were going to arrest her if Drey didn't do something. His body still in pain he rose to his feet.

"Who fired a weapon?" Yelled a security officer, shock baton in hand.

"He did!" Drey said grimacing from the pain in his face. Drey stepped forward and pulled up the gamblers guards jacket revealing a hidden blaster. "He shot me in the face! Then that winged girl came and beat down that one to try and help me!" Drey lied. Drey was a good liar when he needed to be. The security officers grabbed the men and took there concealed weapons.

The barely conscious man who had almost hurt Courtney yelled out "He's lying!"

But it was too late. The security men took cuffed them and brought them out of the lounge. Drey was in a lot of pain. He needed to go somewhere and sit it out. With out turning to Elizabeth and Courtney he said "Enjoy the lounge ladies". The barista walked off like nothing had happened. Once he was out of view in the break room he sat down and grimaced out loud. He wasn't tough like his friend Oliver. And surely didn't have grit like the indomitable Fandrim. Drey sat there for a few more minutes alone. He heard his boss call out an order for him to get back to work. So he stood up, and walked out into the bar and started to work.

Elizabeth walked in with the others, Courtney clung to her leg. She leaned against a chair her sister sitting in the chair. She looked so relaxed, "Oliver, you should make sure lover boy knows not to gamble on if we win or not," she said a smirk tugging at the corners of her lips.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Courtney gave a small smile to her sister's team. Her wings coilled around herself. She was still shocked after what happened.

[spacer]The leather couch was cool and smooth to the touch. Lena sat next to Fandrim, but at a respectable distance. He was a sweet boy, and a passionate one at that, but was perhaps in his slight delirium becoming a little too familiar. She had never noticed before, but couldn't be sure if he had always been so physical with her. Upon his request, she helped undo his armor, and was grateful for Oliver's help for it made the gesture far less intimate.[/spacer]
[spacer]"No," she told Fandrim, "They never do shut up..."[/spacer]
[spacer]Especially about my family, she thought. Still unsettled by her brothers' appearance in the lounge, Lena tried concentrating on the buckles around Fandrim's side. She pushed the leather tail under the buckle, pulled out the metal tongue, and slid the ends apart… Pushed the leather tail under the buckle, pulled out the metal tongue, and slide the ends apart…[/spacer]
[spacer]Once his armor was removed, Lena stood, stretched, and peeled off her own jacket. A cool gust of air chilled the sweat on her back and raised gooseflesh on her arms. She could do with a hot bath or some fresh air.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Lena, is everything okay? You seem… off."[/spacer]
[spacer]It looked like Oliver wasn't about to let her have either. Lena turned but quickly broke eye contact, unsure of how to answer his question. Instead, she poured herself a glass of water and drank slowly. She'd hidden and revealed her distress about her family on more than one occasion. Tonight, Lena chose the former. No one needed to hear more about her father's schemes or her brothers' games. Her personal misgivings, though, were deeply private.[/spacer]
[spacer]"I –" she began, but stopped at the sight of the double doors swinging open.[/spacer]
[spacer]"Oliver, you should make sure lover boy knows not to gamble on if we win or not," Elizabeth said as she sauntered into the room, Courtney trailing in her wake.[/spacer]
[spacer]Lena breathed a sigh of relief. For now, it seemed, she was off the hook.[/spacer]

"I'm guessing Drey got into trouble with some gamblers? Tch, if it's not gamblers it's brokers, if it's not brokers it's street thugs. I'll go talk to him in a minute."

Oliver looked back at Lena and quietly sighed. He had not forgotten about her. But since she was not offering an answer, he decided to let it rest. When ever she wanted to talk, she knew where he was. Oliver took of his gear and put it in the storage chest that was provided for them. He rolled his shoulders and his neck. He turned his back to the girls as he took of his undershirt. It's not like the girls had never seen him shirtless before, but modesty was a value taught to him by his mother. So he quickly threw on his fresh white collared shirt and threw on his long vest over top. He took out his comb and ran it through his hair a few times. Oliver wasn't much for fashion, but he always did try and look presentable. Oliver then turned to his team.

"Hey, I'm gonna go talk with Drey., but in ten minutes or so I was going to hit Mid-Town for awhile. My sister has dance class today so I won't be picking her up till four. So, If any of you want to come I'll meet you back in here." Oliver said as he walked out the doors.

~*****~ ~*****~ ~*****~ ~*****~
As he walked into the lounge, some people called out his name. Oliver waved and acknowledged them. He sat at the bar and nodded to Drey who was with a customer at the moment. Oliver noted the mark on the right side of his friends face. "Fool." Oliver said to himself.

"Whose a fool?" asked someone next to him. Oliver turned to see a black haired blue eyed girl sitting next to him.

"No one." Oliver said looking forward and not at the girl.

"Nice move with the cryo canister. A little unorthodox don't you think?" asked the girl.

Oliver looked at the girl again, this time with puzzlement. "Yeah, a little bit I guess." Oliver said slowly. Most girls that talked with him would have said something like 'It was sooo amazing the way you threw that cold thingy'. But she actually called it by the correct name.

"What would you have done if it didn't explode? I guess your old Mecha 2 model shield could have held up for a while, but it wouldn't have saved you. You took a risk." said the girl.

"Are you a player in the games?" Oliver asked with a suspicious look.

"No." she replied.

"So, you're just a fan then." Oliver stated

"You could say that, I guess." the girl said plainly.

Oliver stared her in confusion.

"What? Something on my face?"

"No, there's nothing on your face."

"Then why are you staring at me like that?"

"Fan girls don't know tech gear." Oliver said narrowing his eyes. Oliver was sure she was lying.

"Do you think all females who watch the games adorn them selves in scanties and oogle at you?" The woman asked pointedly.

"I didn-" Oliver stopped, words caught in his mouth. Oliver looked down for a moment then back at the woman next to him. "My apologies. I was out of line."

"Hahahaha, are you always so serious? It's fine, I'm sure most of your 'fan girls' don't know the difference between a slinger and door knob."

"Ha, no. No they don't"

"Well, thanks for talk Mr. Reese. I must be off." said the woman as she left the bar.

"Wait, what's your name?" Oliver asked. She turned around, smiled, and walked out of the lounge. Oliver learned something right then. Not all women were the same. Sure he knew girls like Elizabeth and Lena were different. But non-player women had all seemed pretty much the same to him. Until now.

"Hey there big man! Who was that cute dame?" Drey asked as he slid cold brewed coffee to Oliver.

"I don't know. She didn't say." Oliver answered.

"Ahh, a woman of mystery. Just your type Oli!" Drey teased.

"I don't have a 'type' Drey. And speaking of women, what's this I hear about you gambling? Did you get hit?" Oliver asked with annoyance in his tone.

"It's not betting when you know your best friend is going to win. It's called easy money. And yes, I got hit by the floor. I tripped" Drey lied, though he wasn't trying very hard.

"You're lying." Oliver said dryly.

"Ehh only partially. I left out the part where Elizabeth slammed my face downward, then the ground hit me." laughed Drey.

"I warned you."

"Yes, yes you did." admitted Drey.

"You're a fool Drey."

"Yes, yes I am." A few seconds of silence went by between them.

"Thanks for the coffee." thanked Oliver

"No problem." said Drey through his big smile.

Oliver got up and left. Drey had to keep working, and Oliver did not want Drey to get in more trouble. Oliver started to head back to the lounge, casually stopping by a few tables and talking with some of the arena officials.

Reactions: NinjaCat07 and Mika
Elizabeth was smirking now, she couldn't hold back how easy it had been to take out those guys. "You guys totally missed it, these guys didn't know who they were dealing with. The underestimated me and they went down hard," she said just before a soft knock came.

She frowned before getting up, she smiled inwardly as she saw the guy from earlier with her wine. She took the red drink before dissming him, she came back holding the glass. She sipped the drink, it relaxed her further.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Courtney got up walking over to where her and Elizabeth's stuff was. She grabbed her cat stuffed animal, she walked back over to the seat. She cuddled the white cat with red eyes, she squeezed it lightly sighing quietly.

Fandrim was trying to distract Lena with an unusual amount of familiarity and physical contact. After being shaken from his earlier nightmare, and his body aching all over, had put him in a worse condition than he'd been in a long time - he'd even swallowed back down some blood that'd dribbled into his mouth. He really, really didn't want the Earthcaster to see exactly how broken and weak he was. The medic had told him he'd broken a rib, so even as she helped pull of his armour he had to grit his teeth and bear the pain.

When Oliver left, he grunted, focusing on Elizabeth for a minute "Did Drey finally grab somewhere he wasn't and you broke his mouth?" It would be just like the little barrista to try something stupid like that.

"As for you" He murmured, turning to Lena, loud enough so that only she could hear "You were about to say something to our illustrious leader before he left. Don't think I can't ready you just as well as he can...what's wrong, little one?" He barely noticed as the bartender stepped into the booth, handing him a double measure of scotch. He slammed it back almost immediately, the liquid leaving a burning sensation tearing down his oesophagus and sending a shiver down his spine. "You can talk to me - it was my chest they crushed, not my ears or head"

Reactions: NinjaCat07
"If he did I would have broken more than just his jaw," she said her happy appearance dying suddenly, turning into a dark one. She grabbed her tools from a table. She spread her wing, she started adjusting it so it wouldn't brake easier.

She also kept an eye on Courtney as she worked, her ice blue eyes where still shinning though.