Leionas: City Born of Dragon

• Thread starter HelloBeautifulChild
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lilica heard the voice through a fog in her brain. Who was it? Who cared? She lifted her head slowly, her violet eyes opening as if someone had pressed the slow motion button on her life. Her eyes felt swollen, but who cared? Who cared about anything? The boy in front of her had the end of the forest behind him, the light shining in more brightly from between the gaps in the trees. She looked at him and her first thought was quite simple. Green. Green like jade. Green stones began popping out of the air around her. They were very small this time, though, and nothing hurt. She had the vague feeling that even if it was supposed to it wouldn't have hurt. Her ability to feel hurt must have been permanently damaged. That must be it. The green-eyed monster. She could almost giggle, if she could feel anything at all. She locked eyes with the boy, her own dull and empty, and croaked, "So are you going to kill me now?" She asked as if they'd been talking for a long time already. "Go on, then." She blinked at him, as if in a dream. "That was part of the deal, right? Go on, kill me already." She blinked again, twice, then something seemed to overcome her. The green stones stopped coming, and she blacked out.

The young blonde lit up at the chance to discuss her work. "I'm an economic consultant," she explained with a broad smile. "I oversee finances and spending and revenue and basically things like managing money for businesses." Jamie felt the corners of his mouth quirk. Whatever Rose was feeling usually rubbed off on him eventually.

"She's the pride of the family," Jamie joked, as if Military Representative was something to scoff at, and Rose laughed in good nature without skipping a beat.

"What about you, Mary? What do you research?" his sister asked politely, tilting her head with a pleasant expression. There were not many features Jamie and Rose shared, but they both honed the same tactic when trying to appear nonthreatening. Both had soft eyes, and smiles made thin by size. Jamie let Mary and Rose have their conversation—he felt relaxed watching them get along and get to know each other. Perhaps it was his sister, she always brought out the best emotions in him, but perhaps it was just that they seemed to get long okay. Rose seemed to have an interest in her, anyway.

Ethan saw the girl look towards him, seeming very tired and dazed. Suddenly, all around her, small green gemstones popped out of nowhere. Ethan let out a small gasp, amazed and breathtaken. However, before he had a chance to say anything, she spoke.
"So are you going to kill me now?"
Ethan stepped back a step. "...What?" He managed, but she continued talking.
"Go on, then. That was part of the deal, right? Go on, kill me already."
Ethan stepped towards her. "No no no, I'm not here to kill you, I'm here to help, so please let me..." However, before he could finish his sentence the girl collapsed again. "Wait!" Ethan yelled, running towards her. Ethan knelt at her lifeless body. Oh deity, what am I supposed to do? He was atheist, so the "deity" part was in vain, yet the fact remained that Ethan was clueless in this situation. Ethan had at least some wits about him, so he checked her pulse, and let out a sigh of relief - she was still alive. There were many mysteries surrounding this girl, but they could wait. Ethan attempted to pick up her limp body, and after a few unsuccessful tries which would probably hurt her later, he managed to successfully pick her up. "Why are you so heavy?" Ethan muttered with a small chuckle. He decided to take the girl back to the cabin he had seen earlier, the one intact. He'd decide what to do from there.

Mary felt welcomed by Rose, and smiled warmly as she spoke. She found herself less worried about the length of her skirt or the bagginess of her sweater.

"I'm an economic consultant," she explained with a broad smile. "I oversee finances and spending and revenue and basically things like managing money for businesses."

An accountant? Mary would, in the future, be happy she didn't display her boredom at the topic. She wondered then which company she worked for, or if she worked as a contractor. Regardless, she had a job, and that was respectable. Someone in the class of Jamie didn't have to work, if they were a woman.

"She's the pride of the family,"
Mary smiled good-naturedly at Jamie's kid, noticing the two's relationship. It was cool to see siblings getting along, as her little brother was such a twerp at the moment, it was like a light at the end of the tunnel.
"What about you, Mary? What do you research?"
"Oh, dragons," Mary said. "But it's a government job so..." Sometimes she found that people got mad when they heard that answer, but she hoped that Rose would understand, heck, she had to, she was Jamie's brother! "It's really fascinating, actually, if I could I'd go on and on.." She trailed off, "But some stuff's going on... I'm sure you know?" Why hasn't he talked to me? Her eyes widened, Oh my- he think's I'm lesbian!

After a long time, Ethan finally reached the hill. It was even harder going up the hill, and he nearly dropped the girl a couple of times. Finally, he reached the top of the hill, gasping for breath and sweating ridiculously. Well, at least I've made it this far, Ethan thought. The hut is right there. Ethan opened the door to the intact hut, and stepped into the meager room. Ethan carefully put the girl down onto the small bed, and sat down on the bed where there was space. Ethan took a moment to catch his breath, and then looked around the hut. It was modest, with only the basic living necessities. Like me, except that I don't live outside the town.Ethan looked back at the girl, sleeping with a peaceful expression that was a little cute.

Just who is this girl?

Ethan took a moment to think about the events of the day. First I get some sort of... vision, that tells me to find this girl. What's up with that? Who the hell has that kind of power, to mess with my mind? It scared Ethan to think about, that someone could be reading every word popping into his mind. But even weirder is this girl. Random objects popping up all around her? What's up with that? That's no kind of magic I've ever seen. She was definitely not normal, but that made her all the more intriguing to Ethan. I'll wait until she wakes up, then I'll ask her everything, Ethan thought, determined to learn everything about this girl.

10:15A Sunday, August 12, 5082
James had enjoyed the sermon, his father was a good public speaker and tried hard to make speeches uplifting and positive. It was almost as if the mage was using his words as magic, but James knew that wasn't true. That burst of magic from the beginning of the sermon wasn't him. John just had talent, nothing else to it. It was admirable that he used his talent for the church, as many chose not to. Himself and Mary Adams were two examples of people raised in the church, but still choosing to make life elsewhere.

He looked over to Jamie and Mary then, seeing Jamie's sister Rose with them. Good, you weren't going to get far without that womans approval. It occurred to him then that getting in a relationship right before elections wasn't the best of ideas. Then again, with elections every year it was always right before elections. Besides, Mary was a respectable woman to date. Mage parents and a non-political government job? As long as she didn't get a promotion in the next week or so, there'd be no issues.

He couldn't look at Jamie forever, he had his own family to attend to. His wife was playing with all of the kids now, and heading towards him with his son, Samuel. His daughter, Jenny, was 7 years old and therefore 'had to' sit through the sermon. She was hyper, but something about her grandfather calmed her down. She was currently giggling and playing with her grandparents who were trying to talk to James' siblings. His older brother, John Jr, was in his mage uniform and avidly talking with John Sr, his father, about the sermon. John Jr, or Jr, was the most religious in the family. Not to say that they didn't all believe with all of their might, or act as a Wicciah family would, but Jr got the most excited about it. His younger brother, Michael, and his younger sister, Susan, were both talking to his mother, Heather. Michael, a tattoo artist with a sleeve on his right arm of 'tats' was wearing a pair of jeans and a button up white shirt- which for him was really cleaned up. When most people heard about the 28 year old tattoo shop owner, they assumed rebellion, but (while the man did have a mind of his own) Michael was just as devout as the others. He, like all of the other men in the family, was a spitting image of John Sr. HIs little sister, however, was an even more eerie copy of their mother. Even when Jr dressed like John Sr, he didn't look as close to the man as Susan did Heather. They wore the same clothes and had the same personality. They talked the same, and James was the only one (including his father) that could always tell their voices apart.

"Good morning," James said to Michael, Heather (his mother), and Susan. He sniggered internally, much like a 16 year old boy, when his wife got stuck talking to 'The Johns' as the two were called. They were a devout family, but sometimes the John's got a little carried away.

"You shouldn't mock Jen, you know," Michael said. "You're lucky you didn't get called."

James laughed, "You have a good point there." He looked over at his wife with a happy glace and back at Michael, "Is that a new one on your shoulder?"

Michael nodded, a big grin on his face, and pulled his shirt shoulder over. On the shoulder was a terribly drawn picture of a princess dragon, which did nothing but make James laugh, really, really loud.

"You let Jenny design your tattoo?!" He asked incredulously. "She's 7!"

"And a half!" Michael argued like a small child, "Besides, I've been telling her since she was a baby I'd let her design a tattoo, and when she cornered me last time she won."

"She's not even 4 food tall!" James said to his mammoth, about 6'7", brother.

"She's feirce, and anyway, I like it," Michael said.

"You know you're going to have to let every child in this family design you now?" James said, shaking his head in mock shame.

"Of course, I've already told Samuel," Michael said. "You just can't have Jen pop out any more kids, I've got Susan and Jr's kids too and limited skin!"

Let's get posting! :)

After a long time, Ethan finally reached the hill. It was even harder going up the hill, and he nearly dropped the girl a couple of times. Finally, he reached the top of the hill, gasping for breath and sweating ridiculously. Well, at least I've made it this far, Ethan thought. The hut is right there. Ethan opened the door to the intact hut, and stepped into the meager room. Ethan carefully put the girl down onto the small bed, and sat down on the bed where there was space. Ethan took a moment to catch his breath, and then looked around the hut. It was modest, with only the basic living necessities. Like me, except that I don't live outside the town.Ethan looked back at the girl, sleeping with a peaceful expression that was a little cute.

Just who is this girl?

Ethan took a moment to think about the events of the day. First I get some sort of... vision, that tells me to find this girl. What's up with that? Who the hell has that kind of power, to mess with my mind? It scared Ethan to think about, that someone could be reading every word popping into his mind. But even weirder is this girl. Random objects popping up all around her? What's up with that? That's no kind of magic I've ever seen. She was definitely not normal, but that made her all the more intriguing to Ethan. I'll wait until she wakes up, then I'll ask her everything, Ethan thought, determined to learn everything about this girl.
10:15A Sunday, August 12, 5082
Lilica awoke suddenly and sharply, as if pulling herself from a bog. She gasped, panic flooding her system, then opened her eyes and realized she was home. How had she gotten here? It was still so bright. Too late in the day for it to be time to get up, too early for her to have gotten back. Today was Sunday, right? Church... Oh no... The memories came flooding back and she sat up suddenly. Her muscles screamed in protest. That was just another strange thing to add onto all the strange things that had happened to her today. She hadn't had that level of muscle soreness in years. Her body was relatively used to hard exercise now. She looked around her room and noticed something there that shouldn't be. There was a boy! What was a boy doing in her room! He looked younger than her, but she wasn't a good gauge as she hadn't interacted with very many people in a while. "Who are you?" She croaked, groaning as she twisted her body slightly to look at him. Green. She remembered now. She thought she had imagined him, but that must not be the case. He hadn't been an angel of death come to send her soul to Hell. Pity. Now she had to worry about who he actually was. She was so thirsty, though. That first.

As these thoughts crossed her mind, things began, once again, popping out of the air around her. A shard of some white crystal, balls of lava rocks, a little fire appeared on her fingertips, a couple tiny pine seeds, jade stones, obsidian, a sprinkle of water. She noticed them in a sort of absent-minded way. She simply couldn't bring herself to care right now, with everything else to worry about. It wasn't usual, though. Things did not just arbitrarily appear. She had her phases, and they would go away, not this constant formation of random things. Maybe she was still dreaming. She hoped so. Then she could wake up and find this all over.

Reactions: HelloBeautifulChild
"It's really fascinating, actually, if I could I'd go on and on.."
Rose laughed in a light, friendly fashion. "I feel the same about economics, but I realize no one finds it quite as interesting as I do so I think I can empathize." Jamie's mouth dimpled in a half-smile, because it was no secret among the Williamsons that Rose was far more intelligent about money than the rest of them were. Jamie could remember a time he'd asked his sister to teach him things he would need to know about spending when he was running for Representative. He also remembered the many times he gave his thanks to Deity for his luck that his sister was so bright in every way he was not.

"But some stuff's going on... I'm sure you know?"
The question piqued both sibling's attention. Jamie thought it wouldn't be wise to ask—he was terribly personal about his work to most, just because it was a comfort to keep his affairs private—but Rose, interested in the conversation still and finding it prudent to keep it running, asked, "Know what?" She glanced at Jamie as if he might know, and he looked to Mary for an answer.

Had there been a breakthrough in dragon research? The Military Representative felt open-minded, but firm, about potential future dragons. He felt he should address the situation no differently than in the event of any other serious military action—with the people's lives in mind. Jamie has always felt it was the military's goal to assess a potential danger and keep it within their attention, but prioritized in different ranks. Things like trading were usually in the front of his mind, because those things happened far more frequently. But he'd always been willing to spend money on research, never out of paranoia, but because it didn't seem right to assume it could never happen again.

10:32A Sunday, August 12, 5082
"I feel the same about economics, but I realize no one finds it quite as interesting as I do so I think I can empathize."
Mary couldn't help but think that Rose had missed the point she was trying to make, as she couldn't go on and on because it was illegal. However, she was sure if she could, legally, go on and on they'd be in the same boat so she just shrugged it off. Had Jamie not told her about that? How constricted the research division, above all others, was? She was determined not to have her mind go to those thoughts though and made sure to pay attention to the conversation.

"Know what?"
Mary panicked, Rose could not be serious? No, she must just be joking. Mary looked at Jamie, a confused look on her face. Either Rose was testing her, to see if she would give out the information, or she was really obtuse. Not believing that the woman in front of her was conniving, Mary suddenly came to the conclusion that Rose had no idea how their government was run. Had it never occurred to her to wonder why you weren't allowed to do major research, much less access basic texts, without a permit or job with the government? It wasn't that they were hiding the information, it was more so that information was volatile, dangerous power.

"Well, I mean," Mary had no idea how to respond. What do you say to a woman in a situation like this? I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you, yeah, right. "It's just that as a researcher I am really restricted on what I can say to the general public. I'm sorry, I assumed you knew because of all of the stuff Jamie can't tell anyone, or anyone else in the elected circle really." The only people with restricted knowledge were researchers and those in the elected circle, which is why her position, and the Head Researcher Position were so prestigious. They were the only non-elected jobs that allowed access to the information.

Needing to change the topic, Mary decided to speak. "So, Jamie, why'd you call? My assistant was all weird and giggly and if I don't tell her I figured out why you called then she might just quit." She smiled, putting a lighter tone on her words.

Ethan started to doze off to sleep himself. He was fairly tired after carrying her all this way, and all the running to boot. However, just as he was about to lay down and fall asleep, he noticed the girl had sat up, seeming very tired and groggy.
"Who are you?" She croaked, groaning as she twisted her body slightly to look at him.
Ethan stared at her for a few seconds before realizing the situation, and quickly responded, "Ah, I'm Ethan. I found you in the forest, and you were unconscious, so I took you back here..."

Before Ethan could say another word, objects started to appear again. All sorts of things, all kinds of elements, just spontaneously appearing. Ethan's head was sprinkled with water, and he shivered a little. He was in awe of everything around him. Finally, Ethan said, "Are you the one making these objects? That's really cool! Is it magic? How are you doing it? What kind of magic is it?" Suddenly, all of the questions Ethan had spilled out of his mouth.

After realizing he was just bombarding her, Ethan stopped. "Er, sorry. I guess I should start off by asking who you are. Let's start over." Ethan cleared his throat, and then held out his hand for her to shake. "I'm Ethan, I carried you back to your hut from the forest. What's your name?"

Lillica's eyes widened as his questions brought her brain back to earth with a sharp yank. This wasn't a dream. This wasn't just some kind of bad joke. This was really happening. Fear began blossoming in her heart again as she looked around her to see things still popping out of the air. "I-I don't know! I don't know what it is." She looked at her palms, but they weren't glowing. So, why? "I don't know what I am..." That was too true. She looked at him. "You- you should stay away from me." A mixture of fear for his safety and fear of what he might tell others welled up in her, and suddenly a long needle of black stone sprouted from somewhere in front of her shoulder... "NO!" She clutched at it and missed, but to her intense relief, it stopped before hitting the boy. She let out a woof of breath as if someone had hit her in the stomach, and placed her hands gingerly on the bed. That had used to stop things from coming out of them, but it didn't work this time. There were tiny twin explosions as her skin touched the sheets, and she snatched her hands away, wringing them in front of her. She didn't dare touch anything again, or look at the boy again.

Taking a long, calming breath, she managed to stop herself from going off again, though random objects continued to plop their way out of the air and onto the sheets and floor. "I'm Lillica." She didn't look him in the eyes. If she could just pretend no one was there, perhaps her magic wouldn't target him again. "Thank you.. uhm.. Ethan."

Jamie gave a subtle nod to himself, confirming what he expected to happen. Rose seemed a little disappointed, although he didn't blame her for misunderstanding—the discussion had been light and conversational, up until this point. He couldn't help but remember his sister when she was just reaching her mid teens, reading all sorts of do-it-yourself books and soaking knowledge like a sponge. Jamie felt it was about time he stepped in anyway.

"It's been a while since I've told my family," Jamie began, trying to cover for his sister. "Somewhere along the line, I'm sure the habit of not asking me just became normal. Like not bringing up certain topics around someone in particular, but asking all the questions you want to others." He shrugged and turned to his sister, who looked apologetic.

Needing to change the topic, Mary decided to speak. "So, Jamie, why'd you call? My assistant was all weird and giggly and if I don't tell her I figured out why you called then she might just quit." She smiled, putting a lighter tone on her words.
At the mention of the call, a wash of nerves pooled around Jamie. It seemed to shower from the ceiling and pool around his ankles. He tried to remember how he'd planned to phrase his offer, and that helped steady him. Jamie looked back at Rose and gently touched her back with his arm. "Can you give us a moment?" he asked, hardly able to look her in the eye and looking just above, at her forehead.

"Yes, of course," she said, and try as Jamie might, he couldn't detect any of her thoughts by voice alone. She sounded as if it was natural for him to call a woman and speak privately with her. Perhaps she thought it was normal. Or perhaps, Jamie thought with instinctive hope, she didn't think anything at all about the situation. Sometimes, for all the ways he loved Rose, Jamie thought he still had unfair expectations for her.

Jamie gestured with his arm to Mary, politely trying to indicate that they leave Rose rather than the other way around. He walked evenly to a "safe" distance, forcing his hands not to wring his jacket by making them hang limp and forcing his voice to be steady by taking deep breaths. He stopped walking when he felt more confident and turned to face the researcher.

@MissChoco Wassup? I'm going to need you to post soon, thanks! :)

Mary could decide if she was guilty or mad. Guilty, because she had clearly killed the conversation with an unpleasant comment. Rose seemed alright, and she hoped not to insult her. Still, she was partially mad. Jamie should know the position she was in, and shouldn't have let the conversation turn that way. She knew it was an unfair anger, but it was tickling the edge of her emotion anyway.
"It's been a while since I've told my family," Jamie began, trying to cover for his sister. "Somewhere along the line, I'm sure the habit of not asking me just became normal. Like not bringing up certain topics around someone in particular, but asking all the questions you want to others." He shrugged and turned to his sister, who looked apologetic.
Mary knew it wasn't intentional then and dropped her anger, it wasn't fair to anyone involved and besides, she liked Jamie. That's why she moved on and asked the man why he had called her, making a small joke in the process. It was her way of lightening the mood and allowing for them to move on.
"Can you give us a moment?" he asked, hardly able to look her in the eye and looking just above, at her forehead.
Mary suddenly got very nervous, her heart pounding lightly. What couldn't he say in front of Rose? Yes, Suze could be right and he could be asking her out, but it could also be something else. He could be asking her to help with his campaign, he could want to talk about work, he could be doing about a hundred million things and not knowing was driving Mary off of the brink of insanity.
"Yes, of course," she said
Rose didn't give her a sad look or a happy one, just acting as if this was nothing. Two people talking to each other. About what? Mary supposed she wouldn't care so much if she wasn't so heart set on him asking her out. Stop being a little girl, she berated herself. You're both grown ups, I think you can handle this. She sure hoped she could.
Jamie gestured with his arm to Mary, politely trying to indicate that they leave Rose rather than the other way around. He walked evenly to a "safe" distance, forcing his hands not to wring his jacket by making them hang limp and forcing his voice to be steady by taking deep breaths. He stopped walking when he felt more confident and turned to face the researcher.
Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh, Mary hoped she wasn't blushing. She waited faux patiently, really wanting him to just speak to her, for him to talk.

I'm sorry this took wayyy too long, I've been habitually spending my time doing like three things and it's become detrimental. You have my word I will be logging on at least once a day. xD Even if it kills me. Infinite apologies to everyone who might have been waiting.

Jamie took a deep breath. He was thinking about control, the swell of nerves under his skin threatened to rupture. His focus was so ingrained in keeping everything at bay that he realized he wasn't even thinking about the actual act. He was so concerned that he had lost grasp of the present, thinking only of a potential future as if it were apocalyptic. He suddenly settled his attention on Mary—her face, her expression—and thought to himself about what he should be feeling. This wasn't a time for thinking about appearances, this was a moment he should be looking at for a greater, brighter future. This didn't fix his problems, but it was a little easier, looking through a different lens.

The Military Representative relaxed in ways a deep breath and mental barriers could not have done. He even, in a small and steady trickle, smiled just so. It was affectionate—for her or for their future. He knew her answer before he would ask, and that gave him confidence, but it didn't penetrate the spacious bubble around him that came with the calm.

"Mary, I hope you don't think me too forward." he started. His heart was sort of nervous but his voice was strong if instinctively quiet. "Would you like to get a coffee with me sometime?" He tilted his head as if curious. He studied her face very intently, fearlessly. "If you're free, we can go now," he continued, briefly glancing over at Rose. She wouldn't mind, he knew, and he would see her later that night. He looked back at Mary. "If not, some other time?"

Status
Not open for further replies.