Status
Not open for further replies.
That answer from Rosa was not much of one, but Heather didn't press the issue. She understood memory issues after all, and nodded once to show that she had heard. She was less certain how to react to the assumption that she had worked with Pei for far longer than she really had. "Two hundred thirty-four standard days is not an inconsequential amount of time. Consider that most of it has been spent in close proximity, on this ship. You will find it quite easy to become acquainted with one another in a relatively short time." With that stated she gave a nod, and pulled her legs in, to allow Rosa to pass back down the ladder. "I have nothing to ask at the moment. But should the need arise, please feel free to come to me in the future."

After hurtling through twisted space for long enough, an insistent tone rang out through the corridors of the Feline Purrsuasion. Some hour and a half after they had first leapt away from the exploding space station of the Xantos system, they were nearing their destination.

Pei awoke from her chair-bound nap with half a donut sitting on her chest, which she quickly stuffed into her mouth before hopping up. "Hmmggrph!" she attempted to exclaim, then swallowed, then tried again. "Everyone! Assemble in the cargo bay!" Her voice could be heard over the team's earpieces but then... it could also just be heard bouncing around the metal walls of the ship. Every sound had a habit of echoing, either distinctly or muffled. "We're about there!"

There was an obvious air of excitement in the group's vertically-challenged captain, who had picked one of the capacitor banks to stand upon to address her motley crew. "We're coming up on the swankiest joint this side of the galaxy! Er, well, I guess the Blackflame Comet is a bit more exotic, but this place is neat too! Plus, it's where we get paid! I hope..."

She trailed off while looking down at the six technological boxes they'd managed to secure. "Eheh, it'll be fine! Calli's pretty chill, everything will work out, we'll still make some money."

Of course Heather had to step in and crush that dream, with a gentle reminder. "With this delivery you will still owe her approximately six point four three Credits. And this is not taking into account repairs from the escape, which I estimate will add two to three Credits to the sum."

The dose of optimism-ruining reality elicited several responses from Pei, who looked angry at first of having her hopes deshed, then miffed that mathematics were being weaponized and deployed against her. And then just dismisive, waving her hand with a superior smile. "Well then it's a good thing she's fine with us having a tab, huh? Plus, it means we've got a great reason for taking on another job! Win-win!" she blurted out, hopping down onto the floor and giving her new coworkers a thoughtful gaze. "Ah, I should add... she's a bit, weeeiiird... Just try to be respectful, and don't cause any trouble! She may seem nutty but she runs a tight ship- station, whatever. And her security is top-notch, so please don't try anything here. She will zap you..." She gave Tick a meaningful glance.

On the more helpful side, the attention to their other resident robutt made Heather speak up to chime in. "Perhaps Miss Calligenia could offer maintenance assistance in regards to repairing the damage done to Four Nine Six Si- to Tick?"

Pei now gave Tick a far more inquisitive, less reproachful look at that idea. "Oh hey I bet she could, what with all those bots she keeps around, right? She's gotta have a way to manufacture, or at least maintain them!" While she spoke the ship lurched slightly, and through the bubbled windows of the cockpits above, the surrounding environment shifted from scintillating blues and blacks to a more standard black of open space. On the holotable next to the tarp-covered tank, the sight before them shimmered into view.

ZV8ROJ7.jpg

Not as technical as the layout to the previous space station they'd visited (and subsequently destroyed), this one was simply an image from the Feline Purrsuasion's sensor modules, transmitted to the projector to give them a view of what they were approaching. And the sight was breathtaking. As opposed to the blistered rock and rusted metal protrusions of Epsilon Gorthrak 7, the station before them had been exquisitely crafted to resemble a grand floating cathedral-city in the skies. Enormous scaffolding systems for repairing and construction capital ships extended like grand halls, complete with turreted towers. They met in the center in what looked like a huge metropolis of tightly-packed buildings, so densely populated with skyscrapers it was as if some great force had picked up the capital of a Core World and simply lifted it into space. There were already ships being repaired and worked on, some coming and going, of all different styles and origins and sizes.

"Well, we haven't been shot down yet, that's a good sign!" Pei chimed.

"I have arranged docking permission and initiated landing protocol."

"Gewd, gewd~"

Rosa spent some of her time organizing her things in her locker, before she crawled into a bunk and tried to get some rest. It had been a busy day, and they had a little time before the ship dropped in on its next destination. Pei's announcement ringing in her ear caused her to jump awake and bang her head on the bottom of the bunk above her. Grumbling and rubbing her head, Rosa carefully slid out of the bunk and stretched, before making her way to the cargo bay.

She whistled appreciatively at the station on display. "Whoever built this place has a grand sense of style, that's for damn sure." She didn't intend to be on bad behavior as it was. no reason to go looking for trouble anywhere, until it was part of a job. Looking for a decent meal that didn't come from a tube and a better weapon or two, sure. But not so much looking for food.

"Think there'd be time for a little shopping," she wondered out loud. "I'm sure it'll be on a budget, but I might be needing a bit more than a needler and clothes, as far as protection goes." She didn't really relish a complete repeat of last time, and she'd already seen some of the heavier ordinance lying around the cargo bay. Or it was all a ruse and she desired dresses, not heavy weapons and armor.

Like a dog who can sense that there's a bath and a trip to the vet coming, Tick became very apprehensive towards the word "maintenance". Yes, some of his systems were friend, yes there was a large hole in his torso, and yes, his friend/foe detection software consistently marked everyone as [HOSTILE], but he was till operating with at least 65% capability. Maybe 75 on a good day. That's a whole 65 to 75 percent more than... than 0!

"[I do not need mai-]"

The ship lurched as the landing gear connected with the station's hangar floor and Tick shut off mid-stride. He crumpled to the ground in a mess of metal limbs and ammo pouches. It sounded like someone had thrown a sack of car parts out a window and let them tumble down some steps. Hopefully Pei doesn't mind a bit of scuffing on the Purrsiasion's floor. Tick lay there for a few moments and for a while, it was starting to look like he was dead.

He finally flickered back on and his systems fed him a very important message.

POWER CELL AT 0%
AUXILIARY POWER AT 99%
REPLACE POWER CELL

Beside all the things that were buggy about Tick, the one that actually manages to knock him down is simply running out of juice. He'd been on this cell for about... ten, fifteen years? The VM-04 power cell had finally kicked the bucket. Sadly, the VM-04 power cell is an old type. They can hold a lot of energy, but they're notorious for springing small radioactive leaks. They weren't impossible to find, and with the not-so-recent outlawing and purge of ABP units, there were a few them lying around with full or partial charge.

"[I require a new VM-04 power cell.]"

Tick tried to stand. A new message came up.

ERROR 2378236-b: INSUFFICIENT POWER FOR MOTOR SYSTEMS
AUXILIARY POWER RESERVED FOR CRITICAL SYSTEMS ONLY
AUXILIARY POWER AT 98%

Tick was a big robot turtle on its back.

"[I cannot move.]"

He lay there, looking kind of sad. Or as sad as a robot can look. His trigger finger could still squeeze though. The trigger finger was considered a critical system. Because of course it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.