Legends of Hylia: Conclusion of Perpetuity

Leek, The Kurious Keaton

Now, while he had mot to much to do before the archery competition, it didn't mean he should sit around and twiddle his thumbs. He must see to it that he knows his enemy, focus his sights upon certain others and observe their skills... For that, he would need to have his turn after the others... That however was not up to him, so he would have to watch and learn... Hmm? Whats that place? It looked like it had a target on the storefront...

Could it be...? His thoughts were intrupted by two people coming out of the place. "Hahhahaha! Man you blew it!" A snotty looking man patted his grumbling friend on the shoulder. "Shaddup! Like you coulda done better! Bastard rigs the game anyways." This got a snort from the snotty man. "Yyeeeeea right, your just shit with a bow!" This perked Leek up. "Whatever! Just hurry up and lets go." The two wandered into the crowd, leaving Leek before the storefront... Or rather game house? Playroom? Whatever you called it, this was the perfect place to train! Even if it was rigged he could get used to the bow real easy here!

Ah... But the sign says five rupees to play... He sighed, once again back at square one... In his dejection, he kicked a small patch of grass... Causing a blue rupee to fall out from the bushel...

The godesses will!

Truly this mask was gonna turn his luck around!

Making off like a grassy bandit he shuffled into the place, ready to beat this thing and prove his greatness to the masses! He will come away with the prize no matter the cost!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That rotten bastard!!! Goddess damn him and his cheating damn targets! "Better luck next time!" He says, never will there be a next time with that arse! Screw that man and his cheating machine he should have put an arrow through his bald head!

Screw him and screw his- in his rage he kicked a nearby pot, recieving adequate pain in the foot as the pot broke into pieces...

Only to find another blue ruppee in the mess!

Pursing his lips in temptation, he scooped up thw ruppee and rushed inside once more.

This time he'd get it right!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He stared down at the prize in his hands... A stuffed Cuccoo... It was soft... sure... But... Was that pain worth it? He had managed to win enough free tries to get better but... He spent the only money he had found today to... Get this cuccoo... With it's button eyes and wobbly red... Thing on top of it's head. Still, it was about as big as it's living counterpart so...

Maybe he could trade it?

Did he really want to go on ANOTHER trading quest again?

At least he showed that bastard whats what.

Leek sighed as he walked around, not particularly watching where he was going, outside of avoiding people. He finally broke away from the crowds in front of a barrel, which with a quick jump he clambered atop of and used as a seat.

Only now noticing the two giant women nearby. He stared, he did, they were in fact the firat gerudo he has ever seen, they were possatively ginormous. Making him look like a kid with how tall they were. And their hair was so red! Did they dye it? He had to dye his blonde from his normal white to blend in so...

The bigger one has lots of flowers, how odd to see a giant with flowers... Or... were their people often with flowers...? They rivaled a goron in height... But definitly not width...

He seemed the smirk and laughed abit, before he realized he was looking their way when he did... He quickly looked away, hoping they didn't notice...

The last thing he needed today was to piss off two giantesses.

@Rouge Rogue (interacted)

Roscoe found himself in quite a perdictament. It was dreadful, quite terrible really, the worst thing that he ever had to deal with in his entire life: Waiting. He had all of this pent up excitement with no way to unleash such tremendous energy! Instead he was stuck back at the stall with his brother and father. After being scolded by his dear brother Cyril he was forced to stay by the stand till the noon announcement. What could be a worse fate than this? He had agreed to join his family on this trip to the celebration because he had thought he would be participating in it. Not stuck here at the shop! This was what they did back at home. If his family wished to sell their little trinkets then they should have just stayed back in Skye Village. They could sell trinkets all day but this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

"Stop it." His brother scolded him. "With that look on your face, you look as though you're in a dungeon."

Roscoe, who had his elbows on the table of their stall and had his head resting on his wings, now lifted it to retort back to Cyril, "But I am! I left the shop for a reason, Cyril. I don't want to be stuck here selling wooden figurines and tools! I want to be out there!" He waved towards the crowds of people.

"Little brother, you need to do your part to contribute to the family business," Cyril responded calmly even if there was a bit of a stern tone in his voice. "Besides, you have been on many travels. Surely you can spend one day helping out?"

"This one day is on the most important day in history!" Roscoe stood from his seat and planted both his wings on the stall's table, causing a few figurines to knock over. "It's a celebration! Which means we should be celebrating! There's so much to do out there, yet I'm stuck here." He slumped back down in his chair with his head in his wings once more.

"Careful!" Cyril began to right up the figurines once more. "Look, we won't be here all day, ok? There will still be plenty of time to see things later in the day. Besides, don't you want to be near the Square when they start calling out names for the Royal Archery Competition? Knowing you, you'll get yourself lost and lose track of time."

"We'll miss all the good stuff by then. And I would not miss it." Roscoe grumbled but even he did not believe his own words. There were so many exciting things that he wondered if he really would miss his name being called. The thought of that tragedy helped to lighten his mood a bit about being stuck here at his family's stall.

"Don't worry about your brother so much, Cyril." Their father joined their conversation, holding a figurine in his wing as he sanded it down to smooth out the wood. "Go and have fun, Roscoe. Your brother and I will be able to manage the stand just fine. Just be sure to come by and check in now and again, eh?"

Both Roscoe's and Cyril's head turned towards their father but said different things in unison, "What?" "Really?"

Their father motioned with his head. "Go on Roscoe. Like you said, 'This is the most important day in history.'" He winked.

Roscoe was on his feet in no time. "Thanks Father!" And he was off.

Cyril's feathers began to fluff up as he crossed his wings over his chest. "Father, I don't like to disagree with you but was that really ok? He's part of the family too and he doesn't seem to realize how important this business is! He hasn't contributed at all since he left the village, would it really kill him to stay put?"

"Yes, it would." His father spoke with seriousness even as he lifted the figurine and peered at it with a careful eye for any blemishes. "You know as well as I do that he doesn't belong in our shop or even the village for that matter. Us Rito... We're all wanderers. It's in our blood. Some of us can quell our wandering spirit with distractions like wood carving," he set the figurine down with the others on the table, "but some of us can't ignore what's in our blood. That's Roscoe. His destiny isn't tied with our woodshop, Cyril. You know that."

Cyril's feathers fluffed up even more and he looked ready to argue, but then they began to flatten as he took a deep breath and calmed himself. "Well, it still wouldn't hurt to help out a little, though it sometimes seems like he only makes us do more work than help out with the mess that he is. When he goes back on his journey I doubt I'll miss him."

His father smiled as he picked up some of the figurines that Roscoe had dropped and Cyril moved to help him. "Do you really mean that?"

Cyril placed the figurines back in their places as his eyes followed the retreating form of his brother as he disappeared through the crowd, the earlier frustration replaced with a warmth in his eyes. "No."

vmvenxya8is21.png

Market Square

Dexton shifted stretching his aching for muscles as best he could. It felt like he'd been on them for days, though it couldn't have been more than a few hours. There was so much pomp and ceremony to trudge through. He watched the crowd carefully as he made his way down from the dais to the ground. Smiles graced the faces of nearly all, each with their own unique twist on the emotion, as if the Goddesses had taken the foundational emotion of joy and adapted it to each race, and to each person within it. Praise them, he prayed silently.

Eager to engage with the celebrants, Dex straightened his breastplate and took a step forward. He stopped, casting a glance backward. There. His captain stood near to Crestus, the Master of Ceremonies, speaking privately to each other. Dex's gaze lingered on the Master a touch longer than was perhaps necessary, face tightening briefly. It had been- four years? Five? The circumstances of his appointment were hazy to his mind. No matter; likely his more relevant duties had pushed the information away. Nearby, young Gus sat on the edge of the platform, bedecked in ill-fitting regalia and chatting happily with a few children his own age. Hovering nearby, his nanny Impa watched with trepidation. She looked hardly the appropriate guardian, save for her hard expression: short, not a little rotund, and somewhat advanced in years, she was the image of a nursery nanny who had been required to remain in the position long past what she desired, and Dex doubted her effectiveness. Perhaps he would remain close by.

Yet his vicarious wanderlust struck him. Too many people from too many foreign lands were present, and news was best from the mouth of a witness, as the ancient Sage of Time had once written. Face lifting in amicable greeting, he approached the first foreigner he saw. The portly Zora, Lake Zora, Dex mused, if the coloration was any indication, seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself. Moreover, he looked as though he could tell a tale or two.

"Greetings, and well met!" He offered his hand to Mau to clasp in greeting, and there was joy in his voice. "I am Dexton, Lieutenant of the Hyrulian Royal Army! Welcome to our Capitol! I hope you find it to your liking?"

His face smiled broadly.

@KatSea

∆∆∆​

For all Impa's careful observation, there is, perhaps, nothing so wily and and clever as a young boy seeking to avoid an overbearing guardian. The nanny had chided the Princess Zelda on numerous occasions, trying to impress upon her the apparent spirit of mischief that possessed her son. He needed careful guidance, Impa said. Judicious teachers who enforced strict discipline. The child must learn his place, his responsibility. In future years, young Gustavus would have to lead the kingdom, and without a strong foundation in his early years- But every concern was dismissed, his curious nature excused as him taking after his father's own adventurous passion. Impa only ever gave a scowl at that, her opinion of the princess' husband plain. Yet the princess would have her own way.

Gus was now having his. He'd made use of a momentary distraction, fleeing from the podium even as Impa was shooing away the advances of Old Tamrin. He stripped the finery of royalty away as he ran: first the cap, which fell into the mud, exposing a wild chestnut mane, and then the gold yellow vest, tossed into the air to drift into an erstwhile pot. Now wearing naught but a pair of brown britches and tunic the shade of the deep forest, Gus sped his way down the cobblestone streets, seeking adventure. His eyes were wide as plates, veritably drinking in the sights as quickly as he could. Not that he partook in any activity: there was too much to see, and he knew that the longer he lingered in any one spot, the quicker his excursion would be interrupted.

Near the archery flight, he nearly stumbled and fell. As it was, only a quick grab at a pole close at hand saved him. Before him was a keaton, clear and obvious and right in front of him. Impa had told him stories about them, about how they were lucky beasts who granted wishes. How was it not already caught? Surely he was visible to all, and not just to his young eyes? Gus dove behind a stranger, trying to avoid drawing the keaton's attention and yet drawing several gasps of shock as he did so. He hesitated, as he tried to stay hidden, wondering if his prey had seen him yet. Finally, the anticipation became irresistible. Screaming in excitement as only a child can, Gus sprang forward and tackled the leg of his target, eyes closed tight as he prepared for the beast to react.

"I've got you!" he yelled. "You hafta gimme a wish now!"

@Orikanyo @DracoGale4 @Rouge Rogue

∆∆∆​

"Shadow take the boy."

Thomas Lyncrest glowered deeply. Edward, his eldest, sat dutifully by his side. Though of a less prodigious house, the Lyncrests did at least have enough notoriety to be given a decent seat during public events, and the archery tournament was no exception. The table had been laid some minutes ago, and all save Adam were present and ready to eat. And the family patriarch found himself facing a quandary: disregard his son and initiate the meal, or force those who had been considerate with their punctuality to wait even longer than they already had. In either case, it showed him a man unable to control his own family. A poor patriarch. The thought cut to the quick.

At last, face flushing, he stood and raised his cup.

"It is perhaps a minor thing to have our Catherine back with us, compared to a centennial celebration, but it is no minor thing to me. May the Goddesses give you joy, my dear." He took a drink, and the others at the table followed suit. "And of course, we can't forget William! A fourth so- Erm, very glad you're with us, as well!"

Adam's absence was itself a kind of presence, and beneath the smiles and blessings muttered to the visiting family was an awkwardness no one could quite overcome. The toast made, all day back down and began to feast. All save Thomas. His face now hard, he waved at an attendant that stood nearby, the Lyncrest sigil stitched onto his vest and a sword strapped to his waist.

"Find the boy, and bring him at any cost," came the hushed order, and the attendant hurried off to fulfill it.

@kookyboy9 @Kjbivins

∆∆∆​

Pelwith checked the flowers again. He'd secured them carefully in his pack, having placed that against the gate walls for when his shift was finished. The dressing down he'd gotten from Rymlost had absolutely been worth it; it was a beautiful bouquet. He'd not lied when he had referenced a certain lady of his, and the thought of her expression of joy at the gift filled his own heart. Satisfied, he turned his attention back to his duty.

The stream of travelers had dwindled somewhat, most who intended to come having already arrived at their destination for the festivities. A few still yet approached: a Goron with a simple cart of goods here, a needlessly elaborate Deku procession there, a group of robed and hooded figures bearing religious iconography referencing the Great Goddess Hylia herself, and even a Hylian leading a beautiful red horse. Each, he greeted as had become his custom and habit: Welcome to Hyrule City. Enjoy your stay.

Behind him, the clocktower tolled his gentle chime: three bells, each of a medium tone. 15 minutes to noon. Absentmindedly, he wished his relief could be a bit early; he desperately wanted to see the archery contest.

∆∆∆​

@Elle Joyner @Verran I left Leia and Aedris to continue their conversation. But feel free to insert them in the goings-on, if you want! Or pretty well whatever! Next GM post will open the tournament; I'm planning on trying to get that out in two weeks, around July 7th.

Reactions: Kjbivins
Aedris allowed Leia’s words flow over him as he stared bemusedly around for the child. The superstitious part of him wanted to swear it was the same one who started this whole affair. Mostly due to the fact that the lass had disappeared just as soon and quickly into the swirling colors of the crowd just as quickly. Still, this time, it was only one flower…unless, of course, he had given one of the original out and it was now being replaced. Or am I simply overthinking the matter.

While entertaining these thoughts, he did not give them full heed as the young man loved it when Leia got excited. A whirlwind of bubbling energy that was, as sure as a sunburst, able to brighten one’s day. Not that his day was in particular need of enlightening, but it was wondrous all the same. Letting her words wash over them, a gentle smile mingle into his bemused expression.

“Yes, let’s go watch the contest. And, that is indeed the Rito who gave us the feather. Surely you’ve seen a Gerudo or two before? It’s not like there aren’t at least a few who live in the city. I have no way of telling who’s best and, no, no skill in it all. At least, none that I know of. Never shot. Do you know much about archery? But I do agree, a wrestling match would suit both of us better. Not that there are hordes of people who would willingly take me on in a match. Think I’d place high if they had a tourney? Heh, well, I doubt I’d participate and just watch. Bit beyond this frail body,” he chuckled. Still, he’d have to figure out to deal with his body better if he were to set out into the wild.

Returning to the topic of flowers, laughing, “I swear, Leia, I had nothing to do with all these flowers. I wish I knew who did because it’s getting ridiculous.”

Seeing a flower upon the cobble and, without really thinking about it and feeling it would be a shame to see it crushed, scooped it up before thinking, great Hylia. Now I’m gathering flowers.

However, Leia had brought the point up, Aedris could see no reason to stall any longer. Despite the fact that he would have enjoyed watching the game and partaking in most of the festival before then. A shame, but, what could he do? “Leia, listen,” he began, not really caring who overheard for who would be creepy enough bother to listen to a random pair’s conversation in the middle of the hubbub of the entire festival, “I can make berries grow. …I mean, not just grow. Anyone with half-a-green thumb can make them grow. I mean, grow unnaturally. Out of season. Day to day, sometimes! Not really well yet. Just one or two at the moment. But magic, Leia, magic! If I train proper, then I have my ticket out. Of the city, that is. Not sure what else, but if I can grow enough to feed myself, I won’t need to rely on begging to survive! I only really confirmed it recently, but it explains so much, so much about this and that of things.”

A true smile was blossoming across his face. Eager, though nervous, to share his gift.

@Elle Joyner

b51e4f1eae8552aebb82d5e992d9a716.jpg

Leia
TAGS || Collab with @Verran

FESTIVAL
"W...wait. You've been… You've grown… You've been doing magic… you've been--?" There were few things in life that could render Leia seechless, but hearing Aedris's words, for a solid few seconds, the entirety of the city seemed to fold away and she fell into silence, her hands clapping over her mouth in horror.

With a rush of pink in her cheeks, she shook her head vehemently, and lowering her hands from her mouth, dragged them through her hair, "How long, Aedris? How long?"

Aedris blinked a few times. Of all the possible reactions, he did not expect that. Confusion welling back up into him, the young man spoke tentatively, “well, I’ve only been doing it on purpose recently. I mean, I didn’t know I could do it and had to make sure. It’s why I waited till now to tell.”

Reaching to steady Leia, “hey, tell me what’s wrong? Why would me doing magic be cause for concern? I mean, the stories of heroes have them in it, so it can’t be too bad, right?”

"Oh… oh Aedris." Reaching up, Leia gingerly clasped his hand, "Magic… magic is complicated. You cannot just…" Breathing in, she exhaled a sigh, "There are consequences. I've read about them… It does things to you, when you use it. Horrible, terrible things. You… I had wondered why you…"

Looking up at him, she frowned softly, "This is why my draughts haven't been healing you…"

It began as a chuckle. Her words sank in bit by bit. Magic had consequences. Of course it did. Nothing in his life was going to be free on consequence it seemed. His way out was no more than a quicker way to the grave, it seemed. And the worst part, oh yes, the worst part, was that he couldn’t stop. Not that he had the foolish desire to run whatever the magic was doing him right down into an early grave, but that, if his suspicion was correct, magic had been working in him, through him, and out of him for ages. Berry bushes that suddenly bore fruit on random days. Sometimes one day after another. Other strange occurrences that, if one applied magic as a variable, made immense sense. Somehow knowing to cook without any prior skill. Finding shelter place after place with nigh on ease. Flowers that, even now as his chuckle broke into laughter, tears welling into his eyes, found their way into his hands. That he didn’t want to destroy.

“Leia, oh Leia, I don’t think I can stop. I...I’ve been doing magic for years, I think. Without realizing it. Making plants grow. Getting food on the hungry days from the land. I don’t know how...I…”

Steeling herself, her other hand swiped out and gingerly, gently brushed the flowers from his hand before gripping it tightly, “No. I don’t… I don’t accept that. I won’t. There is always a solution and we will find it. I… I’ll just… The library. I’ll figure it out. We’ll figure this out. But things are going to change, Aedris. Because this will kill you, if you don’t stop. After this festival, you’re coming back with me. Don’t argue. Don’t even think about it. Because I will not hear it. I don’t care what concerns you’ve got or otherwise. You cannot survive this on the street. And I won’t lose you.”

The flowers fell. All but two fluffing down upon the ground. The flowers fell to the ground and rotted immediately upon the cobble slabs of stone. Aedris didn’t notice. He was too busy trying to cope with a deadly diagnosis and, finally, agreeing that he would go with Leia and leave the streets. Yet, still, a calling to the green power that seemed intent to both bloom as a determined daisy through rock and spread and crumble its own foundation as fungus gradually broke down the foundation it grew upon. Nor did he notice the two, the original two, strangely almost powered, seemed to almost cling to him. Slip, in the chaotic brushing of the rest of the flowers, up his raggedly sleeve. One would imagine that Aedris couldn’t help but notice such leafy infiltrations, but, given what he is, he did indeed fail to notice. After all, they had been a gift. It would be rude to dispose of them.

With a slow, uneasy breath, Leia moved a little closer and wrapped Aedris in a brief hug, before stepping back, clearing her throat, “...Now…” Swallowing hard, she shook her head clear of the myriad thoughts racing through it, “We’re at a festival. Let us enjoy it, yes? Please?”

Working to focus, Aedris mastered himself. Stopping the tears, but feeling drained. Sapped of energy. Mustering a smile, he flashed it at Leia. Drawing up upon a source of positivity that seem to be more stubborn than dandelions in the yard. Often overlooked, but pushing him to stand again and again. “Yah, let’s do that. We’ll figure it out, somehow. So, sure, we’ll enjoy the festival. What do you want to look at first?”

"I suppose it's archery…" She answered, though the earlier excitement has dissipated from her tone, and as she turned in that direction, she did not release his hand for another several seconds.

“Sounds good!” he chimed, but didn’t miss her loss in excitement, giving her hand a squeeze before it slipped away. Missing it a moment later, but determined to find a way to enjoy the festival no matter what.

Last edited:
naaad.png

ŋ ą ɖ ı ʝ ą ɧ
mentions: @Orikanyo (leek), @Red Thunder (gustavus)

Nadi had just finished her third bowl of meat stew when she caught someone staring.

Their corner of the Market Square had gradually thinned out of people. Many had gone to sign up for the archery competition, more yet had given way to those that did. Some stood gathered around the platform at the heart of the square, stealing curious glances at the people who'd arrived there few moments prior. Most, however, had been lured away by the plethora of stalls on the opposite side of the square. Nadi related with them the most.

Regardless of where the crowd had gone, their absence made spotting the source of the stare easy enough. Nadi's sharp gaze was quick to fall upon short, fox-faced creature seated atop a barrel a little distance away. She saw not its eyes nor mouth move - but she knew it was staring, and she heard it laugh.

The young Gerudo leaned closer to her companion, jabbing her with an elbow.

"We are watched," Nadi whispered, unable to avert her eyes. Her words carried urgency, dotted with the slightest hint of wonder. She had seen people of many a race today. She had yet to see one with the face of a fox. "By a strange creature."

Though she seemed unenthused to do so, Raeja looked up from her book. She needed but a few insightful words to dispel Nadi's alarm - and her curiosity. "It is but a mask, young blade. A voe lies underneath."

Nadi's brows furrowed in disappointment and disapproval alike. She wiped her lips clean with her arm, then discarded the empty stew bowl. "He's small," she noted, waving a hand in a dismissive gesture. "Is he a boy?"

Raeja looked him over out of tired obligation, then returned to her book. "He is grown," she stated in a tone that quelled any attempts at doubt. "But unlucky."

There was a pause. A moment of silence for the boy's unfavourable genes, perhaps, until--

"... Did he laugh at us?" It was more an accusation than a question. Nadi plucked out the stick she'd stabbed into a potted plant earlier, the anger she'd been unable to unleash on the scribe pooling into her glare. Her tone was drenched in venom, and she wished the stick had been, too. In place of poison, it was marred by soil.

The corners of Raeja's mouth turned upwards.
"Maybe at you."

Nadi did not catch the jest in her voice. As Raeja finished reading her current chapter, Nadi pushed herself away from the fence she leaned against. Her legs were long, her steps longer yet. She had reached the boy atop the barrel before Raeja could so much as turn a page.

"It seems you have been told a joke." Nadi spoke the foreign tongue well enough, but her words did not weave together into a fluid flow the way a native's would. Each word was sharp and purposeful; a stab, quick and effective.

She held her stick as if it was meant for stabbing as well. It jutted out from under her crossed arms like a poorly concealed dagger. But the daggers she glared down at the masked boy were the sharpest of all.

"My mood is foul," she warned, eyes narrow; a silent implication that the state of her mood was in part thanks to him. "Share your joke, little man, so I may laugh along."

Before the boy had a chance to reply, something dashed into Nadi's peripheral vision. She reacted as her blood dictated - with a quick turn and a lowered stance, skewer held at ready. Her eyes sought for a place to ram it into; a throat, a heart, a major artery left unprotected.

What she found instead was another young boy, harmless as they came. He threw himself at the masked youth, demanding a wish. Nadi lowered her makeshift weapon, confusion diluting her anger. Why might he be owed a wish? Was this a foreign custom she was unaware of? It must've been so.

"No," Nadi growled, reaching a hand to try and grip the masked boy's shoulder and yank him closer. All the while, she stared at the other boy as if he was her greatest rival, come to steal what was rightfully hers. "I saw him first. It is I who should get a wish."

Somewhere far behind her, Raeja looked on in bafflement.

Last edited:
Adam + Abokk collab

Previously on Legends of Hylia:

Abokk held out one of his black and blue feathery wings as if it were a Hylian hand. "The name's Abokk. I don't have as much as some of the other merchants, but I'll give you a deal if you need any creatures for potions."

Adam smiles, holding out his hand… before abruptly stopping. Was he supposed to shake the wing? He didn’t think that’d feel terribly good for the Rito, although he supposed it could be what he was supposed to do? As he paused, however, he also noticed that he had forgotten to put his glove back on his hand! Fortunately, the scars seemed to be mostly covered up, but it’d certainly be awkward if his sleeve happened to slip!

“I saw that scar...mine are bigger,” Abokk immediately realized how terrifying that made him seem. He had never spoken to a hylian before and he was still shaken by the fight and the bug girl. He grabbed the boys hand and shook it while trying to think of a way to salvage to the conversation.

“Like I said, I appreciated the help. Traveling by foot is pretty dangerous and you don’t always have people willing to help you out. That’s not the first time I’ve tangled with thieves, but it was the first time I had to fight a goron.”

Adam flinched as the Rito mentioned his scars, then recovered as his hand was taken. “I’m Adam Lyncrest. And I’ve certainly encountered some of that. The scars are from exactly that sort of tale.” Come think of it, this was the first time Adam had ever gotten into a fight with a goron. They didn’t really tend to be that aggressive, did they?

“Perhaps it would be best to leave the alley, though? The thugs might have left for now, but I don’t feel that it would be wise to tempt fate by remaining here beyond immediate need.”

Abokk started walking away as soon as he could. The whole time the Hylian was talking, he had been looking around making sure no thug was coming back to finish the job. Yet as they left Abokk started thinking about Adam Lyncrest. Parts of his story seemed...odd.

“Are you a noble, Adam?” Abokk asked. The Hylian’s manner of speech seemed too formal and his last name sounded upper class (having a last name at all seemed to mean your family had wealth and power among Hylians).

Adam followed along behind the Rito. He definitely seemed more perceptive than Adam had originally assumed. He hesitated a moment, before responding. “Kind of, but kind of not? My father is a minor noble, but I’m the third son. So, I’m kind of a noble in that my family is, but kind of not in that there’s no way I’m going to be getting a title out of it.” Not short of his elder brothers both kicking the bucket. His father might be nobility, but he wasn’t major enough nobility to give his scholarly third son a title. Hence why he was studying magic. He should be able to find at least some form of employment out of it, and he enjoyed it at the same time.

Hylian bloodlines and titles were strange. The rito people had chiefs, but the system wasn’t as ridged as this Hylian child made it out to be. Ritos were trained from a young age to work and carve out their own path in fly regardless of you their parents were (though it did help in some cases). Still, the third son of a noble father was still nobility to Abokk’s eyes, and the boy didn’t seem like knighthood or priest material. “Forgive me if I’m asking a touchy subject but how does the third son of a nobleman get scars?”

Abokk of all people would understand if the question was too much. He was prepared for Adam to stay quiet on the matter and that would be fine. He just hoped Adam didn’t ask about his own scars.

Despite Abokk’s concerns, the question didn’t bother Adam at all. People knowing about the scars was embarrassing, but the story about how he got them had made its rounds when he had been absent from his classes. “The short version of it was that my family got jumped by a group of vagabonds, and I ended up drawing too much magic trying to get us out of the situation. That doesn’t tend to be very good for you.” Actually, that was a bit embarrassing to admit, after all. He normally left that part out since it would clue people on. He looked down at his feet, hoping that it’d hide the flaming blush spreading across his face.

“Why are you acting all embarrassed for? A lot of people can’t do magic, and your lucking you didn’t melt your arms off trying to do it at a young age.” Abokk was starting to like Adam. He wasn’t a strong Hylian by any means but from his actions and stories, Abokk could gather that he was a brave and honest Hylian. “You tried to keep your family safe. A lot of other people would have run away or try to hide, even if it was their own family and friends being beaten and robbed. You may have done more to save your family than you might think.”

Abokk’s question just embarrassed the boy that much more. Adam continued to hide his face, the blush growing ever more prominent with each word. “T-thank you. I’m actually really proud of my magic. I spent a lot of time slowly building it up before I cast a real spell.” He deliberately ignored the bit about saving his family. Addressing it would’ve just embarrassed him that much more. The conversation was also getting a bit too close to him for comfort. Perhaps there was something he could use to turn it back to Abokk? “You mentioned travelling on foot. Do you travel a lot?”

“I walk,” Abokk said bluntly. “Never really got into the mail delivery thing but I didn’t really feel like living in a nest either. Sometimes I collect things along the way, sometimes I rest or a while and make a little money, but I haven’t really felt like settling down anywhere yet. Guess us ritos just love spreading our feathers. Ha ha ha...yeah that sounded funnier in my head.”

Come to think of it, most Rito who traveled for a living were with the mail delivery service, weren’t they? Still, it sounded like he lived a pretty interesting life. Not one Adam would choose, but the idea certainly had its own appeals. He paused for a moment, taking the joke seriously, before he realized that it was meant to be in jest, and let out a short chuckle. “Have you been anywhere particularly interesting, then? I’ve read about a lot of places I wish I could see for myself, but I’ve never really traveled much of anywhere.”

I did travel to the Lost Woods one time. Didn’t get far in it though. I thought I could keep myself safe if I left a trail of string behind me so I wouldn’t lose my way, but someone must have cut it and I was stuck there for a couple of days. Wasn’t all that bad though, I didn’t have to worry about robbers and I saw a lot of little critters running around there. Someday I hope I can go back and really get into the heart of those woods. They say a small race of forest children live there. No rito can fly to the woods because the fog and trees blind their vision so if I were to walk in there I might be the first rito to ever make it the heart of the woods and back.”

The lost woods? Adam had read about them somewhere. But where? Ah. It was the misty wood that had some sort of magical property that caused people to become lost. The Rito had been able to make his way out of there? That was certainly impressive. Perhaps he’d be able to get more details out of him another time? He didn’t think that many people had gotten the chance to speak to someone who had found their way out. “That definitely beats anywhere I’ve been before! Who do you think would’ve cut the string, though? Any other traveler would’ve wanted to follow it out, wouldn’t they?”

“Probably just a deer or boar walked through the string. Next time I’ll just need to get something stronger. Maybe I should leave a trail of brightly colored pebbles behind me next time?” Abokk hadn’t realized how much he had been talking to Adam. This was the first conversation he had actually enjoyed in a long time.

Incidentally, Adam was enjoying the conversation as well. It was refreshing to talk to someone who hadn’t known who he was at first glance, if only for a short while. He did, however, doubt that the idea of brightly-colored pebbles would work that well. “Pebbles could be a bad idea. If the forest utilizes spiritual magic, it could be that the forest simply confuses you by severing your bearings from you. As opposed to shadow magic, which would simply confuse you. Perhaps using a good rope?” He was starting to get engaged in the problem. Probably not a good sign if the pair wanted to continue with casual chit-chat.

“If your willing to admit there’s spirit magic in those woods than what’s stopping it from just cutting the rope?” Abokk then thought about spirit magic. He didn’t know much about magic to begin with, let alone what spirit magic was. All he knew about it was that Gerudos supposedly had a history with it. “Do you know anything about spirit magic?” He asked Adam.

Adam was loathe to admit it, but… “Not a lot. My personal specialties lie in other places, but in general, I think it mostly concerns paraphysical phenomenon of connection. I don’t think you can sever a physical connection using spirit magic, although you could probably prevent someone from realizing something exists with it. So you’d have to tie the rope around your waist so that it reminds you it exists, at some point?” Adam really didn’t know much about spirit magic. All of the rest of the magical elements he’d read about during his studies had had metaphysical effects, but spirit magic seemed much more… wishy-feely to him. It had seemed incredibly useful, but also incredibly difficult to comprehend.

“Sounds like we could both stand to learn a little more about it. Why don’t we head to the archery contest?” Abokk asked wondering if Adam was expecting him to suggest an archery field was more educational than a library.

Adam froze stock still at the mention of the archery contest. “I, uh. Would kind of prefer not to. I may or may not have avoided a family gathering today. And I know they’ll be somewhere in the near proximity of the archery competition. Were you thinking about competing?”

“No, but I know Gerudo are supposedly good archers on horseback so I imagine a lot will be at the competition either competing in it or just to watch. Either way, it might be a good spot to have a friendly chat with one. Plus an old...friend of mine is competing there. I call him a friend but we haven’t really spoken to each other for a long time. This just gives me a good excuse to attend the tournament.” Deep down Abokk was hoping for a way to change Adam’s mind. He hadn’t put much thought into returning to the Lost Woods until Adam started talking about spirit magic and Abokk was afraid he would lose interest in talking about it to a Gerudo without Adam’s second opinion.

Fortunately for Abokk, his mention of the Gerudo was already posing far too much temptation to the young man. He’d heard of their prowess with weaponry, but he’d never been able to actually see it for himself. This would be quite the chance. He thought about it for a moment. “Hmm. Perhaps we could stop by a mask vendor on the way there? I don’t think anyone would recognize me if I covered my face, and a mask would fit the festivities far better than covering my face with a cloak or the like.”

Abokk sighed with relief at this. Perhaps he would actually enjoy this festival after all. The two went back to the market place and Abokk took the rupees he had earned earlier. When they went to the mask shop Abokk greeted the owner (who never opened his eyes, much to his discomfort) and asked “What do you have for 15 rupees?”

After purchasing a mask, the pair walks towards the crowd for the archery competition, as Adam dons the mask. He pulls some rupees out of his wallet, offering them to Abokk. “Let me pay you back for the mask. I didn’t want to say anything in front of the shopkeeper in case he tried anything, but I should’ve gotten it myself.”

Abokk didn’t refuse the offer. He was tempted to ask for some more money but stopped himself from taking advantage of Adam’s fair nature. Heading over to the competition Abokk noticed a number of ritos among the competition. There was Gall, who awkwardly waved to Abokk when he noticed him, and a rito with bright red markings who seemed like all his feathers were about to fall off him from excitement. The Red rito just could not stop staring at everything around him.

“See anyone interesting here? Anyone familiar?” Abokk asked Adam.

As the pair stepped into the space of the competition, Adam was quite busy taking in all of the new and exciting sights. He’d never been in the middle of a festival before. However, Abokk’s question jolted him back to reality, and he began to look around for anyone he actually recognized. He saw a few acquaintances here and there, but nobody he was really well-acquainted with. His family was likely somewhere in the wings, but he didn’t spot any of them in his short glance. “Not at the moment. A few acquaintances, but nobody outside of passing conversation.”

“Then we should find us a nice seat before they’re all taken. Keep your eyes peeled for any Gerudo too.”

Perhaps there was a part of Roscoe that felt bad for leaving his brother and father to do all the work they would normally do back at home. Maybe he should have stayed after all and helped out a little longer, at least until noon, but he knew his brother would try to get him to stay with the shop the whole day if he had it his way. Besides, both his brother and father enjoyed the work they did so it was not really a chore for them whereas it was torture for Roscoe. He loved woodcarving but it was the standing around and selling that made him feel like he was a prisoner to his own family's stall. In his mind, it was no different than putting a shackle to his ankle and chaining him to the stall so that he was forbidden to ever leave till everything in the shop was sold. The only thing he liked from selling his wood carvings was seeing how people admired his and his family's work and present them as gifts to others. But it wasn't enough.

It was a real challenge to keep himself near the square. Three times already Roscoe caught himself before his taloned feet carried him away from the square to explore unseen discoveries that demanded his attention but his passion for archery managed to keep him glued to the square so that he would not miss his name being called. Besides, there were still plenty of interesting things around the square to keep him distracted till the noon bell rang for the start of the competition. There were other stalls with very fascinating and interesting items the vendors were selling that Roscoe took to admiring. He had his own pouch of rupees for him from his travels as the Whistling Traveler that he saved up but even though he was easily entertained and admired almost anything, he was also very practical and knew when not to purchase things that held no use for him. After all, he had to travel light so it wouldn't do for him to carry all sorts of knit knacks that wouldn't fit into his sack. He wished he had the Hero's pouch. He had heard many stories and rumors about how the Hero was somehow able to carry so many items with him in a simple small pouch. From weapons to the smallest fairy in a jar.

Of course, they were only rumors though.

He was just admiring a scale that the vendor 'swears' was from a dragon when he heard some sort of commotion going on behind him in the middle of the square. He turned his head to see-wait had he seen that man before? Yes! He had! It was the man in the fox mask that he passed when signing up for the archery competition! But this time he had a little boy attached to his leg who was shouting something about a 'wish.' Roscoe was not familiar with Hylian customs or their creatures, but obviously this boy believed the man to be a real creature that could grant him his wish. He thought that was adorable. He would hate to see the boy's dreams crushed if the man were to take off his mask and inform him that he was not really a fox or whatever this boy believed him to be.

The situation seemed to be escalating, however, when spotted the Gerudo female who he had believed had been conversing with the fox man. Now it seemed like she was claiming the fox man for herself. Uh oh. This wasn't good. Would she really try to take a wish from an innocent child? Was she playing along or did she really believe that this fox man would really grant wishes? Maybe he could get a wish...

Roscoe shook his head. No, that wouldn't due. They couldn't all fight over the fox man. Plus the poor fellow! Caught between a very tall woman and a small child, both demanding a wish from him, a wish that he may not even be able to grant. Tensions may rise if something wasn't done soon with these two fighting over a poor innocent bystander who's only fault was dawning on the wrong mask at the wrong place at the wrong time. He had to do something to get the fox man out of that situation while also not ruining the Gerudo's or the boy's day.

He glanced at the sky. It would be noon soon... He hoped he won't miss his name being called and he would actually like to watch the whole competition, but... This was more important. He put down the 'dragon scale' much to the vendor's disappointment and took out his flute, making his way over to the trio as he twirled the flute with his feathered fingers. If there was one thing that Archery, music, and wood crafting all had in common it was performance.

He moved the mouthpiece of the flute to his beak and played a little musical tune as his taloned feet carried him around the trio in a fluent dance. "Why yes indeed! By catching this creature you've both proven great speed!" His tone was light and musical, his body fluently moving right between the Gerudo woman and the fox man expertly to keep her from gripping the man, but in no way did he make any movement to take him away from her to initiate an attack. "Because of your quick reflexes like a fluent fish, each of you is granted one single wish." He knelt down to be eye level with the young boy. "But be warned for this creature has its own set of rules; wishes are a beautiful thing but not your personal tools."

He placed a wing on the boy's shoulder to try to coax him in releasing the man's leg and urge him on his feet while he played another musical tone on his flute with his other wing, then released the boy to dance around the fox man before wrapping a feathered arm around the fox man's shoulder, urging him off his little barrel as they faced both the Gerudo and the little boy. "Your wishes must be reasonable and true. What are your desires oh Desert Warrior and Brave Youth?"

He hoped that he managed to get the fox man to safety from the Gerudo's and boy's clutches while also appealing to both of their desire for a wish and felt no need to try to capture the fox man again. This would only work partially, however, depending on what the Gerudo and the boy wished for. He hoped it was something that he would be able to fake or improvise on. He also hoped that the fox man would play along, at least for now. Sure they could just take his mask off and explain that this had all been a mistake but that would break the little boy's heart. This was a festival after all! A day of wonder and excitement! He didn't want that taken away from this little boy. As for the Gerudo, why didn't she deserve a wish too? If kids could imagine and dream, surely adults could as well? If he could help to make their days a little brighter then he was all for it! It was now up to the fox man whether he wanted to continue the charade or wreck everyone's dreams.

Leek

-Like a fox caught by the tail-
In under a minute, things went from bad, to worse, to inexplicably confusing.

Why did he have to make himself laugh?

Why did he have to choose a damn keaton mask?

Why was a gigantic cuccoo saving his life and limb?

Think quickly Leek, search inside yourself and find the way to escape this terrible situation that has yous tuck between the wonder of a child and a woman who could probably snap off your head with a single arm. His eyes looked towards the other crimson haired giant behind the one who was now steps away from wringing the "wish" from his neck and splattering it across the building behind him like a kid's brave attempt at art.

...But the birdman... Yes... he was his ticket, his ally, his savior! Or perhaps leader to further damnation, bugger it, if he was gonna die, best make a joke of it.

With ease he slipped from the boy's grasp, standing tall atop of the barrel he had sat upon. "A wish? Oh yes a wish, how wonderful it would be to have it fufilled, everyone has one, two, or to many to count. But not all wishes are granted, for that one should be thankful." he was above the others now, guess this is how it felt to be tall?

Tall... yes.. thats how it all started... His thoughts betraying him, now the woman came looking for what he had laughed about.. when it was barely a joke at all.

...Wait.. she ASKED for the joke...

A smile creeped up behind the mask, but the red eyes shined with mischevious nature coming forth. "But wishes shouldn't be fought over, we do not know who saw me first! As such, we shall have a game hmm~! The first to catch me once more wins the wish. Feathered man, will you aid our young lad?" he motioned a hand towards the two, but swiped it away without leaving them to answer.

"Good! Wonderful! And you my strong friend shall have a fitting opponent against you... But to be fair, i shall grant the first thing you asked of me..." he seemed to lean close to the dangerous woman. "it was a meer thought... that if I had your height, i would be able to reach atop of buildings... And smash my head upon a door frame!" With the last part, he suddenly moved back and leapt towards the wall, planting both hands upon the second floor window, and all but climbing up the very wall to the roof!

"To be fair i shall not leave this square! Once out of sight, I shall return to the ground~! Catch me before I return hence! Good luck wishhunters! if you don't catch me before the archery competition I shall have a wish from each of you!"

And with that, the fox faced man dashed from sight... Though the sound of a disturbed and unhappy feline and a dog barking definitely showed he was still nearby.

"..No sense not having some fun till the competition starts.. Might get lunch from this too, Nothing like food gained from triumph!" he chuckled, leaping from his point and disappearing from the rooftops.

@DracoGale4 @Rouge Rogue @Red Thunder

Fluffy made mental preparations in his head. He figured this festival lasted a lot longer than just the day, and he figured if he could, he should bring his children to see the beauty and splendor of it all. He had included the idea into his message, although made it clear that he intended to come back as per the schedule that was intended. Any additional gold he had on him he intended to purchase little additional trinkets and flowers for the wedding. He realized his basket had gotten loose from his grip from when he had written his letter, although he was able to retrieve it with a graceless fumble. He was brief in his apologies for bouncing against several of the Rito folk as they moved passed him, seemingly excited for their venture of archery. Fluffy was more than tempted to join in such a venue, remembering his years of training when it came to hand to hand and long distant combat, but it had been forever and a day since he had picked up a bow. He wasn't sure if they quite had one for his size, either...

No matter. That was not the competition for him, and rather desired for a wrestling match or a drinking contest. He could best any challenger when it came to those activities and wished to come home to his wife, claiming that there was some use for his portly nature and his love for ale. A Zora could dream, that much was for sure, no use getting hung up on the lack thereof.

Fluffy was easily taken from his thoughts of grandeur and large ale mugs when he noted the Hylian guard peering over his form. There was an immediate blanket of respect that rested over Fluffy's mind at the man, regarding him only with admiration as he approached. He was a bright, cheery man, coated in the familiar armor of Hyrule. He seemed to be more than intrigued by Fluffy's presence, and for a moment he wondered if this man, Dexton, recognized a fellow solider. Whatever his reasoning, Fluffy was more than happy to greet the man, clasping his hand in his and giving it a firm handshake. He was hoping that shockwaves wouldn't send the man asunder, but still kept a naive, cheery demeanor stretched across his cheeks.

"Well met, dear Dexton!" He greeted, eagerly reaching behind the man to pull him into an embrace, clapping his hand heartily against his back before releasing him. He scanned the man up and down, attempting to get any indication of what sort of solider, man, Hylian, he was.There seemed to be a genuine kindness with this greeting, and his warmth only grew and grew within his chest. "I am Mau of the Lake Zora, previous commander to the Zoran Guard. I find the hospitality of this great city to be beyond belief and I am so happy to be acquainted with you on this fine day." He blanked for a moment. Right. Right. Flower picking. Something old, something blue... His eyes focused back to Dexton. "I imagine this festival is treating you well yes? I know in my day the sort of wonders can come from sort of thing...As well as the youngsters who run about."

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Red Thunder
As Abokk scanned the crowd he noticed a tall person wearing Gerudo style clothes. He could tell from the golden patterns and designs the curled around his robes like snakes. He had seen in before on Gerudo clothes, buildings, and art. Abokk tapped Adam's shoulder and pointed to the tall figure wearing the Gerudo robes. "I can't tell who they are from here, but they have a thing for Gerudo art style. Maybe they know something about their history and magic?"

Abokk had almost forgotten about how obsessive he could be once he got focused on something. It didn't matter if it was tracking down an elusive fish or learning about some new type of magic. He felt like a dragon that had been slumbering for years only to suddenly wake up starving and ready to roam the new world. He pulled Adam to the tall person who he now figured was at least a man, but his facial features were hidden.

"Excuse me sir, but my friend and I have recently been doing some research into Gerudo culture, and if you've got some free time we were wondering if you would happen to know anything about spirit magic."

It was a bit of a hunch, but Abokk had heard stories about the ancient Sage of Spirit,, being a Gerudo. That was a far as Abokk knew. He hoped this stranger could fill in a few missing gaps.

Last edited:
vmvenxya8is21.png
Market Square​

Ah! Another purchase! The request perhaps a bit more- mundane than the one from before that more readily came to mind. Nevertheless, business, it seemed, was good. The salesman watched Adam and his Rito friend join the crowd, narrow eyes keen and unblinking, the wide smile still spreading his face. How strange, though! Was the Rito the Hyrulian's servant? The rupees had come from the former, and yet the latter had placed the mask over his own face. Interesting!

"Something is happening," he said to no one. "Something neither foretold nor expected, I think, save by the Ladies themselves. But if they know, they've not told me."

The small stall was suddenly filled with a child's laughter, if in fact hushed and close. Yet the joy it carried was intercut by a cold ruthlessness, as if pleased in some unknown and malicious way about the news. The salesman's smile dropped imperceptibly.

"No no, you read too much into it. Do not get it twisted. And be silent."

The laughter died as quickly as it had begun. The salesman remained as he had been, leaning against the stall's counter, crowd watching and apparently enjoying watching the festivities. Yet the smile did not return to its previous brilliance, and he shivered slightly in the noon air.

∆∆∆​

He shouldn't have removed his royal stuff! Gus grumbled to himself, staring angrily at this tall, ruddy woman who was trying to steal what he'd rightfully claimed. Who did she think she was? Didn't she know that Keaton are bound to give the heart's desire to the first child that caught them? We, he had! And no amount of screaming by this fire-headed weirdo was going to change that!

But! The Bard. Bird? Bird Bard? He piped very well, certainly, and Gus found himself enraptured by his notes. Bards knew Things, probably. They sang lots of songs, after all, and those songs talked about all kinds of Things. So if this one said that maybe the wishes could be shared, it was likely true.

Gus released Leek's leg.

The bird-man played a beautiful tune, one which found purchase in the boy's own legs. In short order, they were bouncing to a vague approximation of the flute's rhythm, sending him dancing to and fro with Roscoe himself. Nadijah, and indeed, even the erstwhile Leek, had been utterly if momentarily forgotten.

The moment was brief. A wish! Gus recalled his wish! He'd have to say it really fast, before the tall lady could say hers, so the Keaton would grant it first.

"Oh! I wanna adventure! Just like Dad!" He had stopped his prancing about to throw his arms into the air with youthful exuberance before spreading them as wide as he could toward the vast plains to the city's south. And still outstretched, he ran to Leek and grabbed his leg again, this time to plead his case. "I wanna go places! And explore caves and old ruins! And fight mob'ins! And maybe ride a lynel!"

Yet the Keaton leapt away! Pulled right from his grasp, springing up the wall to the roof above! There were rules; of course there were rules! They had to catch him, he said, and Gus got to have help! Even as Leek vanished from their sight, the prince took Roscoe's hand in as firm grasp as he could manage. Tugging as hard as he could, he sprinted off, trying to drag the much larger man behind him as he pursued his prey.

@DracoGale4 @Orikanyo @Rouge Rogue

∆∆∆​

Dexton returned Mau's strong grasp, and indeed his unexpected embrace, with a returned clap on the Zora's back. It was a distinctly familiar greeting, one usually reserved for brothers-in-arms. Fortunately, Dex was not made to wonder long as to the sense of familiarity he received from his new acquaintance.

"Commander! I say, sir!" Right fist on his left breast, he gave a short bow before lifting his head with a broad grin. "You do us a service indeed, by gracing our festival with your presence! It brings me joy that you should feel thus welcomed.

"As to myself, I confess: I may be shirking my own duties somewhat in favor of viewing the festival up close. Though perhaps, I shall say that I am conducting a patrol and establishing liaison with a notable man of Lake Hylia!"

His chest rumbled with the suppressed chuckle. Fellow soldier, indeed, and the small twist of uncertainty that takes hold of anyone introducing themselves to strangers had all but faded. Mau was for all intents a long lost cousin, and Dex felt appropriately at ease.

"Aye; well indeed. Much of that joy is, as you say, experienced vicariously through the children's eyes. There is something genuine and honest about it, like a perfect arrow loosed from perfect bow.

"And speaking of!" He wrapped an arm around the Zora's generous shoulders before guiding him along the path. "The noon bell is nearly at hand. I intend to view the archery contest. Will you join me? As we walk, we might share war stories, such as they are in these peaceful times."

As if in response, the strong voice of a royal caller echoed over the general rumble of the crowd.

"Five minutes! Archers, to the front of the flight! Five minutes!"

@KatSea

∆∆∆

Adam and Abokk found themselves having to strain their necks to look their new acquaintance in the face. Taller even than the Gerudo warriors visiting from the desert, his head was hidden in the shadow of an overhanging eave. The ambient light did somewhat illuminate it: his skin was darkly tanned and somewhat gnarled, with a protruding nose that very nearly caught the edge of the sunlight, framed by disregarded fiery red hair that didn't quite reach his shoulders. His eyes, however, seemed to catch the generous sunlight. They were hard and unreadable, but the shone a brilliant gold. He wore a tunic of desert tan, with simply embroidery of turquoise and orange lines are right angles that was most common in Gerudo fashion. His feet were bound in thick leather riding boots, worn from years of hard labor. At his side was a quiver of long arrows. A dark brown cloak covered his broad shoulders, framing the man in something of a box shape.

He stood quietly, stringing his bow, and only glanced up once spoken to. Quietly, contemplatively, he observed them. Finally, he turned his eyes back to his bow.

"I know nothing of Gerudo culture," he said, taking a test pull of his bow, itself a huge specimen of the weapon. The reply was candid, if as dry as the Sand Sea itself, and it issued from his throat in a similarly gritty manner. "I am besides no mage. I cannot answer your question."

@Kjbivins @kookyboy9

∆∆∆​

Joy and excitement filled the air. The atmosphere was thick with it. No matter where one turned, people were having simply having fun. Eyes young and old cast about, lingering on beautiful baubles shining brilliantly in the noon sun, or drinking in newly baked white loaves of warm bread, or judging their own capability against the difficulty of a particular game or challenge.

Impa's eyes were so tired. She had only turned them aside a moment, she was certain, to chase off that insufferable Tamrin. Now, the anger and impatience that she had directed at the old man was replaced with fearful desperation. Not for herself: mistakes were a part of existence, as none were perfect save the Goddesses alone, and any punishment she had earned, she'd take without argument. She pushed through a gathered crowd about a juggler, moving aside each individually as she searched. No, but he was just a boy. Only a very young boy. Goddesses alone knew where he might have run off to. For he must have run off. It was the only answer. She wouldn't, she couldn't, even consider any other reason behind his disappearance.

Her eyes grew wet, and her knees threatened to buckle. She stopped pushing through the crowd. What more could she do? The boy was lost within this crowd, alone and unsupervised, with any number of awful things happening to him. She clasped her hands, pressing them against her chest. Slowly, tears began to leave trails of salt on her cheeks, and she took a step backwards, as if trying to flee from the nightmare.

Impa collided with Leia, and with a cry, she fell to the cobblestone. The floodgates were loosed by the redirection of willpower, and she remained on the ground, weeping into her hands, apparently caring little what anyone else thought.

@Elle Joyner @Verran

∆∆∆​

The general din of the square was very suddenly drowned out by the overwhelming clang of the clocktower bell. Twelve times, it rang, each subsequent bell quick on the heels of its retreating predecessor. There was authority in the chime of the clocktower, a kind of central point by which all others affixed themselves. Between each hour, and indeed for those twelve hours at a time, time was a thing of mutability. It was changeable, malleable, shaped by those who wished to do so into deed and pledge, leisure and play, violence and peace. Against the noon chime, all events were compared. And only the greatest and most important proclamations were made at that time.

The twelfth bell issued forth, rolling across the Market Square, and as its echo quieted, Crestus, Master of Ceremonies, lifted his hands. As before, he stood on the dias that last before the great fountain, overlooking the wide archery flight. Each archer's box was occupied, with some few waiting in the wings to see whether a space would remain unclaimed by those who had registered first. And such a wide variety of archers there were: shimmering Zora, fluttering Rito, confident Gerudo, stoic Deku, professional Hyrulians, and even a bemused Goron. Each stood at the line, bow at the ready, and arrow notched. At Crestus' raised hands, each bowman had raised their weapon and aimed downrange to the straw targets some fifty yards away, drawing back. An eager smile filled his face.

"Let the Centennial Celebration Archery Competition begin!"

He dropped his hands, and the air was filled with the harp-like notes of loosed bow strings.

∆∆∆​

At last, the archery competition is underway! I did provide a five minute window within the confines of the post, so if you feel like you want to include some quick action before getting involved or particularly watching the competition, feel free! If your character addresses an NPC, in that intervening time let me know, and I'll hammer out a reply for them. I know not everyone's looking to shoot, so I'll be prepared for that, RL allowing.

As to the competition itself. If your character is shooting, when you post, include details about them setting up to aim, etc. Whatever you feel is necessary! Post your reply, then go back to edit. You should see the option to roll dice. Set it to roll a single 20 sided die, then save your edit. If I'm thinking right, it should display your result. On the other hand, if there's a way to do a dice roll without having to edit your reply in post, feel free to do that, too!

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to send them my way.

Reactions: Orikanyo
It was an off-putting point int the festival. Aedris felt that he was more pulling Leia around the market square, rather than fully enjoying it together. Certainly, he was quite possibly be dying in an irrevocable fashion. But, well, what else was new. Eventually, one just got used to it. Probably not the best thing, but, until he could find some way of forging forward, there was little use in letting it crush him. Not yet. Not now. So he did his very best to buoy up Leia’s spirits. Pointing out the little oddities. Exclaiming over neat odds and ends. All the while waiting for the archery tournament to begin. Sadly, nothing stuck out to him to spend his new, sudden windfall of money. Except maybe a flower or two, but he dutifully ignored them. Now was not the time for more magic interruptions. Although, he could almost swear that they were not ignoring him, as strange as it was to think that. As if they were there, in the edge of his vision, waiting for the chance to find their way into his hand. Impossible notions as they were, but the stuck to the back of his mind as vines cling to ancient ruins for heroes to climb in all those old stories. Then the woman bumped into Leia.

Reacting with reflexes born from a life on the streets, Aedris steadied Leia before she could fall and cause a series of collisions that would leave the whole street prone upon the ground. Realizing that said person had not intentionally bumped into her and had, in fact, bounced right off and down to the ground. Immediately, the young man knelt down asking, “ma’am, er madam! What’s wrong? I…um, here.”

Gently, the hylian raised the crying matron to her feet. “Not to worry for I, that is to say, we, will be more than willing to help you if able. So, madam, please tell us what’s wrong.”

@Elle Joyner @Red Thunder

• Sweet

Things were escalating quickly, even faster for Roscoe to keep up with but it seemed like the man in the strange fox-like mask was catching on to his little game and he was pleased that he decided to play along. However, the masked man did something that Roscoe didn't expect. He took off! Perhaps he got a little too excited for Roscoe's little game? Maybe he was thinking more clearly than Roscoe had been for he had been trying to appease both child and the firey-head woman, whereas the masked man had realized that he couldn't possibly grant both their wishes which may be utterly ridiculous and impossible.

The boy's wish, however, melted Roscoe's heart. All he wished for was an adventure like his father. Roscoe could understand the young one's desires for he, too, had such desires at his age. To see the world, climb mountains and explore caves, perhaps not ride Lynels and fight moblins but just to get the thrill and taste for adventure! Yes, indeed, he understood all too well. He wanted to grant the boy's wish but how? He couldn't just simply whisk him away to join him on his travels. That would be kidnapping! His parents would be furious and Roscoe had no doubt that he would be hunted down. Speaking of which...where were the boy's parents?

There was no time to ponder the question for the young lad was already grabbing his wing, dragging him after the masked man so that he could have his wish. Just as they were going after the 'magical creature,' however, Roscoe heard the warning call:

"Five minutes! Archers, to the front of the flight! Five minutes!"

Roscoe almost skidded to a stop so that he could turn back. The contest! He had nearly forgotten! Oh he thought he had plenty of time but now it seemed like he was running on a very tight schedule. Would he make it in time? Could they catch the masked Keaton and grant the boy's wish before time was up? No, wait, that wouldn't do either... Even if they managed to do all of that before the time was up, this boy was still very much without his parents and Roscoe couldn't just leave him alone. His parents must be so worried about him right now, searching the whole crowd frantically for their lost child. Was Roscoe possibly only taking him further away from his parents?

All these thoughts flashed through his mind within a split second and he made a quick decision. He ran with the boy to go after the masked man. He would help the boy get his wish then, afterward, he would try to help him find his parents. He may not make it to the archery contest in time...but this was more important. A lost child shouldn't be wandering alone or a stranger may mislead him! Then he would never find his parents. It was only good luck that Roscoe happened upon him so that the boy didn't end up with some weirdo. He just hoped that no one would mistake him of kidnapping the boy instead.

"Come on little adventurer!" He called out gleefully, picking Gus up and hauled him up onto his back so that he could give him a piggy-back ride. Though Roscoe wasn't overly strong, Gus was still fairly a small child. "After that Keaton we go!"

With his light feet, he took off at a run after the Keaton, going towards the roof the 'creature' had climbed up to. With the child on his back, it would be more difficult to get up there but Roscoe didn't let that stop him. He told the lad to 'hang on' before he leaped up onto a barrel with a flap of his wings. With his wings and nimble legs, he was able to leap from barrel to a stack of barrels than onto a tarp acting as a shaded roof, providing an extra bounce that managed to get him onto the roof. From this vantage point, he looked around the square to hopefully spot the Keaton. Then, seeing a quick flash of yellow, he leaped off the roof and glided to the ground, putting a few extra wing flaps to keep from crashing since he was descending rather quickly with the added weight. Once he landed lightly on his feet he started off at a run once more towards where he had seen the flash of yellow.

@Red Thunder @Orikanyo

• Nice Execution!
What's this? A triple collab for a missing child?!

Her misery laced irritation was steadily making ripples of the incidental stone cast in an otherwise seamless pond that was her usual mood. As Aedris steadied her, and just as she was about to rather vehemently inquire as to whether or not she was invisible, her eyes found the woman that had rammed into her. Leia bit down on the words, teeth pinching her cheek, before they could fall out of her mouth. Taking in the tears leaving tracks down the woman's cheeks, she breathed in and rubbed the back of her neck.

"Yes, please… Stand and say what's wrong?"

"I-"

Hardly a word could be heard through the sobs, or indeed through her cupped hands. The old woman's hair hung loosely about her face in thin strands, and when she raised her head, brushing away the tresses, both Leia and Aedris got a good view of the veritable river of salt water running channels through deep wrinkles. Light streaks of mascara pulled at the outside corners of her eyes, which were red. She shook her head.

"The- I've- The Prince. He's run off, and- and-" Her voice failed, and her tears regained their onslaught.

Aedris’s first, stupid thought was, which prince?

Which could, perhaps, be forgiven considering all that had happened today so far, but his mind immediately chained together a string of assumptions that rough came out to be, The Prince?! The prince who is the prince of Hyrule. The prince who is the son of Princess Zelda. The prince who is apparently scampering about the safe-not-safe streets of our city without chaperone and could easily be scooped up by nefarious ne’er do wells for the sake of demanding ransom from the royal family if not worse! That Prince?!

He felt a little faint himself. Now, it must be understood that Aedris had little love for the royal family. No real hate, but little love that stemmed from his deep mistrust of all authority figures. However, he was far from one to hold anything resembling a personal grudge and a missing child was reason enough to drop everything and begin a search. Won’t want to make it too loud though, he considered, while most of these folks are no doubt fine and fair, it’s as the saying goes: it only takes one rotten apple to give everyone a stomachache.

Feeling it was best to be reassuring, Aedris continued, “don’t worry madam, we’ll find him. But, uh, could you tell us what he looks like?”

It was a mark of Aedris’s lack of education and connection to culture that he had absolutely no clue as to what the young prince looked like. He knew what Princess Zelda looked like because, well, who but small children didn’t? Still, the young man couldn’t recall ever seeing a painting of the boy and he doubted that the lad would sport some fancy and poofy crown to make it obvious.

“I’m Aedris, by the way, and this is my friend…” trailing off to let Leia step in.

"Leialine Itash… I run the Athenaeum in the Eastern edge of the city." Giving something of a formal tip of her head, Leia straightened again before continuing, a firm sense of focus to her words that might have bordered on indifference, had she not at the same tine reached out a hand to give the woman a reassuring squeeze of the shoulder, "How long has he been missing, and where did you last see him?"

"Impa," the old woman replied, voice still wavering as she tried to catch her breath and introduce herself. She coughed. "He- I just saw him at the Fountain, before that wretched Tamrin began his fool flirting. M-maybe he- oh! It has only been a few moments, I think! Maybe five minutes? He can't have run that far!"

As yet, Impa remained on her knees, still gathering herself. Slowly, her bearing returned to her, and a small fire began kindling in her eyes.

"That boy will catch it, once I catch him," she muttered, "and then it will be the Princess' turn.

"Ah, but his appearance. The child is about my shoulder height, so perhaps 4'5"? His mane is a straw yellow, and he was wearing that tunic of his. I think it was the Hero's green." Her brow furrowed in thought. "Gustavus was wearing royal colors on a vest and cap, but that boy had probably discarded them." The nanny spirit had returned to her in all its fury, and her face grew hard. "Fool boy."

Aedris nigh on flinched as the fire returned to Impa’s spirit. He knew that fury quite well having been on the receiving end of it many a time in his youth. A woman’s scorn was one to behold, but it was merely the tempering of a blade that would become a Mother’s admonishment at a disobedient child. Pitying what would befall the lad if, no when, they found him Aedris set eyes scanning. Five minutes was a strange time. Both incredibly short yet infinitely long. Any lad who was active could have easily made his way a solid distance into the twisting alleys in that time. However, while Aedris didn’t know the lad, he did know children. A number of them wandered the streets, raised by themselves, their peers, single parents, or orphanages. Nigh on all of them would have been entranced by the delights of the festival. Meaning that he doubted that the prince would have left the market square. In fact, he was likely to have been entranced by something and hanging around it. And finding what was entrancing the child and then just checking for him within the area was probably going to be easier than attempting to examine every child they could see in the swarm of people.

What pulls children the most… he thought, games, plays, masks, legends. The lad was wearing a Hero’s green tunic. Which means…

“Leia,” the naturally pale young man said as his head spun on a swivel, “look for anything mystical connecting to heroic legends. People dressed up as fairies, keatons, skull kids, that sort of thing.”

Leia held a particular fondness for children… most days. They were rambunctious and pressed on one's patience, but their curiosity and willingness to explore reminded Leia all too well of herself at that age. Unfortunately, presently, that precocious nature was less so endearing as it was endangering, and it was all Leia could do, just to hope the boy was somewhere safe.

At Aedris’s exclamation, Leia nodded firmly, “Good thinking… And it might not be a bad place to start with any trusted guards or merchants the boy is familiar or friendly with. He might’ve wandered off if he’s seen someone he knows. Perhaps we should start in the market?”

Grunting with the exertion, or maybe in hot frustration, Impa pushed herself to standing. Any attempts at assistance were slapped away aggressively.

"He fawns over that Lieutenant Dexton," she grumbled. "And yet he doesn't keep his eyes open for it. I will go ask him, and then remind him of his ineptitude."

Still cursing under her breath and straightening her dress with short tugs, she stalked away into the crowd.

Aedris made the mental note to, after finding the prince, simply leave him in the madam’s care and then make himself scarce. No way Aedris wanted to be anywhere in the vicinity of whatever lecture would befall the boy.

“Yes, the market’s the best,” he agreed with Leia, “I’d be surprised if he left the festival square willingly. Let’s meet up at the central fountain every ten-fifteen minutes or so. Sound good?”

Nodding, Leia studied Aedris for a brief moment, before reaching a hand out to give his forearm a squeeze, “I really am sorry, Aedris. Today was meant to be a lot more… enjoyable.” Releasing him with a sigh, she started off in the direction where earlier, her own booth had been set up.

@Elle Joyner @Red Thunder

• Nice Execution!
"Oh my bad, we don't know much about it ourselves so we're just asking around. Sorry for bothering you," Abokk said the mountain of a man. Rito's were normally taller than Hylains/Gerudos but this guy was something else. He hoped they hadn't offended him too badly, not just because it was in bad taste, but because he was afraid this man could be stronger than your average goron.

"Well, Adam I guess we should try asking someone else. See anyone interesting? Anyone, you know?"

Leek

it didn't take long to disappear, given his average opponent in a "game" like this was his master, these folks didn't really have a fair chance of finding him... Though he didn't quite know JUST how close the archery matches were, at the sound of the call, he figured it was best he scurried along towards it, he did list it as the end of the chase.. But you can never be so certain with these strange folks.

The abrrel he was in had it's opening facing a wall, he more or less put it in this position to have a full cover from anybody looking into the place, plus if anybody was curious, they'd only see the closed bottom facing the alley. However, with some quick handiwork against the wall he spun the opening towards the alley, wiggling his leg, then other, then the rest of his body out into the open. he reaffixed the mask on his face and began bounding towards the archery contest grounds.

He would not let his newly found skills go to waste!!!

Adam Lyncrest

Date:

Interactions: @Kjbivins

Adam opened his mouth to respond to the Gerudo man, but Abokk beat him to the punch, saying pretty much the same thing he'd intended to. Fortunately, he was wearing a mask, so they wouldn't know. At the sorry, Adam also chimes in. "My apologies for the interruption. Perhaps I could wish you luck in the upcoming competition?"

To Abokk's next question, Adam glanced around the crowd, searching for any interesting faces. Mages were quite difficult to pick out by sight alone. Him being an obvious example of the fact. Who would expect someone short enough to appear still a boy to be a mage? However, his glance did remind him of something rather important. His family was likely to be in the seating area for the archery tournament. He'd have to be rather careful not to attract their attention. He'd promised to attend the celebration with them, but he hadn't mentioned which portion. That should be enough to get him out of too much trouble... right? Regardless, the competition was about to start. "Perhaps we should find a seat for the competition instead? There should be time aplenty to find people to ask after. And I'm sure there'll be Gerudo participants. Perhaps we could try to catch one of them after and see if they know anything?"

Reactions: Kjbivins
The young Rito had no idea who was underneath the mysterious Keaton mask but whoever it was was certianly adapt at losing his pursuers. He had some hope at finding the 'magical creature' since he had promised to stay in the Square but there were so many people crowded in this limited space that it was nearly impossible to spot him. Just from watching the man jump onto a roof, Roscoe could tell he was very nimble and quick. Someone like that would certainly remain hidden if he did not wish to be found but he hoped that the man would go easy on them for a child who only wished to have an adventure like his father. It was such an innocent and sweet wish that he saw no reason for the pretend Keaton to at least attempt to grant it.

He had no idea what had happened to the Gerudo woman, if she was also trying to locate the Keaton or if she went straight to the Archery competition though he did not see her anywhere. Well, the less competition the better, he suppose. He couldn't imagine trying to compete with someone like that in the capture of the mythical creature. Try as they might, however, they could not find the man again. There were a few times Roscoe believed he had spotted the masked man only to realize he was mistaken when he would come face to face with a bewildered stranger who was most likely wondering why a Rito was charging at them with a child on his back. Roscoe was determined not to fail the little boy but the more that time passed the less hope he felt and the more panicked he became. Yet all the while he tried to keep things excited for the boy, behaving like they were playing a game(which they pretty much were), always referring to the boy as a 'Young Adventurer' or 'Little Warrior.'

Then he heard it. The resonating sound of the bell that seemed to drown all other noise. The crowd around him had thinned considerably since everyone had moved to where the archery contest was being held and Roscoe's head was turned towards it in dismay.

"Let the Centennial Celebration Archery Competition begin!"

Roscoe shut his eyes as though the words were almost too much to bear as they echoed across the Square. He knew. He knew that he would not make it in time but it was still hard to take in. It seemed like he would not be shaking his hero's hand after all. He had been looking forward to testing out his archery skills against other worthy competitors but now it seemed like that would not be the case. Yet even worse than this...he had failed the little boy. He had been unable to find the masked Keaton in time and so the little boy would not get his 'wish.'

Roscoe didn't let his somber face stay for long. It quickly melted away as he put on a broad smile and he opened his eyes. He could not let the little boy see how sad he was and he did not want to make the boy any sadder as well, his eyes darting around as he tried to come up with some plan. "Well my Little Adventure..." Then his eyes lit up as he came up with an idea.

He carefully put the boy down from his back and turned to face him, knelt down in front of him so that they were eye to eye. "You have passed! The Keaton is a sly and tricky creature, as you may know, but you have proven your resilience!"

Roscoe took a quick look around, spotted a stand with wooden toys and so quickly dashed over to it, grabbing a wooden toy sword and dropping a handful of coins onto the counter with a very baffled custodian as they tried to catch all the clattering coins before Roscoe was standing before the boy once more as though he had never left. The toy sword poised before him.

"Kneel oh great warrior." He waited till the boy knelt before continuing. "For showing such bravery, persistence, trust, and great heart," he then placed the flat end of the sword on each of the boy's shoulders in a ceremonial gesture, "I now bestow you a true Adventurer. You show great promise and the skills necessary to go out into the world one day and have an adventure just like your father when the time is right. Stand."

Once the boy stood it was now Roscoe's turn to kneel down onto one knee before him, his head bowed as he presented the sword to the boy as it laid flat across his feathered hands. "Take this as a symbol of this promise and of your first step into your dream. Wield it proudly and never forget this day when you have beaten the Keaton's own game, for you never gave up even when the odds were stacked against you. For no one could truly grant your wish but yourself, and you have shown that resolve today. Never forget that."

Roscoe then lifted his head and smiled warmly at the boy. "Your father would be proud."

@Red Thunder

• Nice Execution!
vmvenxya8is21.png

Market Square

∆∆∆​

The final noon bell echoed through the city, and Roscoe had felt a noticeable shift of weight on his shoulders. During the brief five minutes that the Rito had kept him entertained, Gus had cast his gaze about enthusiastically, pointing and shouting when he thought he might spy his target, then, when it would become evident that he was wrong, he'd then about and point in some other direction. Ever patient, Roscoe indulged him, despite the utter disappearance of the Keaton quarry. Yet, time waits for neither adult nor child, running swiftly on its course, for all are bound within its banks, and none save a chosen few might shift it.

The Prince's downcast demeanor had shifted immediately, however, as Roscoe congratulated him. During the knighting ceremony, an expression of elation spread across his face; it practically shown with his joy.

"My father," he whispered, taking the sword granted him by his Rito guide and guardian. Carefully, as if holding an item of immense value and heritage, he held his weapon aloft, sword-point to the sky. He retained the pose for a moment only, yet to any one familiar with the ancient myths and legends who might see him, young Gustavus would bear a shocking, and indeed frightening, resemblance to the Hero of Time.

Like a flash, he brought the sword down before him with a yell.

"Hah! Take that, you Moblin!"

For several moments, he spun about, slashing and stabbing at imaginary enemies before finally coming to a stop. The visual impression never quite went away, not until he stopped, panting. He looked up at Roscoe and grinned.

"We should go tell Dad that we're going on an adventure! He'll be really happy! And maybe he'll want to come with us!" 'Sheathing' his sword into his belt, the boy spun on his heel and took off at a run, his exhaustion apparently forgotten. Naught but a few steps away, he skidded to a halt and turned back. "Er, I forgot! I'm Gus. Well, Sir Gus, now, I guess! Anyways, you're coming, right? On the Adventure? I can't go without my partner!"

A hooded and robed figure bearing Hylian religious iconography turned the corner and stepped toward them.

∆∆∆
This could be it. If I find him, maybe Master Lyncrest will finally give me that raise.[/I]

Normally, Quelin might have complained. This was messenger's work, not an attendant's. Bedecked in his best breeches, a shimmering violet with gold filagree, and pristine white blouse, and his regal golden vest, the Hylian prided himself in representing the Lyncrest family well. Indeed, he'd served Thomas Lyncrest for some twelve years, and if Thomas himself didn't always treat him well, at least Quelin was always respected by his peers. More than a few attempted to gain his attention with raised hands or calls. Nothing got to him, however; he was on a mission.

And he was pressed for time. If he knew Thomas ("And none better," he mused wryly), the patriarch wanted his son with him at the noon bell. And it was all too close to that. Time had been stolen from him, precious minutes, by the careless and distracted crowds. Few bodies moved on request, and Quelin was loath to actually dirty himself by shoving through. Not that he considered himself prissy or foppish, but, well- family representation mattered. It wouldn't do for someone to see the family butler sprinting through the street like some common filth, covered in filth himself… He shuddered somewhat at the thought.

A large man strode past him, the cloak he wore making him seem even more intimidating than his size already made him, apparently bound for the archery flights. Quelin paid him no mind. He had as yet seen neither head nor hair of his quarry, and his stomach was tightening rapidly. His mind cast about, considering what the boy may have done, or where he might have gone. Perhaps- no. Surely, Adam wouldn't have returned to the tournament, to sit elsewhere, apart from this family? That'd infuriate his father worse! Damned boy. Shifting his path, Quelin hurried off toward the gathering audience.

And what a crowd! If he had assumed the entertainment had attracted people's interest, he didn't consider that it'd have gathered this much interest. The assigned seating was all occupied by those who had earned them by virtue of their position or who had paid the honestly steep price for them, leaving standing room down the length of the flight itself. Some of the more creative audience had conspired to sit among tree branches or on balconies or eaves, but most were constrained to their feet only. Quelin found himself finally having to push and shove to get through and check for Adam, and more than a few audience members scowled in response, though the few monk-looking figures in hooded robes and Hylia iconography never budged. Quelin checked heads and shirts, seeking something familiar, but the crowd was immoveable.

At last, he saw that tell tale mop of black hair sticking out from behind a mask. Adam looked to be standing with an odd-looking Rito, and they shared the occasional comment, though what it was they said exactly was covered by the general noise of the gathering, as well as the musical twangs of the bows being loosed. Quelin, with a good deal of insistence that people in his way move, managed to grab the boy's shoulder.

*Adam!" he shouted over the din. "Your father is very worried! You must come join the family at once!"

Then the screaming started.

∆∆∆​

The laughter had started again. The salesman frowned, trying to ignore it. What could that fiend do, anyway? It was trapped, embodying a mask, and it wasn't going anywhere. Indeed, said mask was locked tightly within a chest of thick oak planks, hidden beneath stacks of boxes and blankets. And other masks. Too many masks.

There hadn't been enough sales. The salesman cast a curious eye around, desperately looking for the roving eye. Yet most had wandered off, drawn by the promise of excitement of skillful archers. There were still shoppers, to be sure, but the crowd was significantly thinner. Perhaps they would return after the competition? In his experience, it wasn't likely; the morning hours were the best time for selling, leaving the afternoon to be full of stuffed bellies and lethargic drifters. Perhaps it would be better to cut losses, pack up, and-

A young Hylian woman raced by, oddly familiar. The salesman looked ahead, trying to anticipate her path. Ah! She was headed to a booth. They were neighbors, of sorts. There was- hm. Ah, of course. She needed something, something he could provide her. A mask? Hm. Yes. The salesman nodded, understanding. She needed a mask.

"Miss! Miss!" he called, a wide smile pulling at his face. "You look like you are looking for something! Perhaps I can help you find it."

From below the booth front counter, he retrieved a disk-shape wrapped in a tattered, gray cloth. Carefully, he placed it on the counter and gestured to it.

"Yours. For free. You'll need it. But...keep it hidden."

The salesman's grin broadened even more, as if threatening to split his face, and with a silent chuckle, he dropped the booth's cover, shutting him away. On the counter still lay the wrapped disk. Beneath the cloth, should it be moved, lay a white mask that ended in one point on the bottom and three points on the top. On its face was crudely painted a blood red eye with a large, red tear drop falling from its center. It was the symbol of the long ostracized Sheikah clan. To Leia's eye, long used to esoteric information, would recognize it immediately. As to its use, if it had any, that was anyone's guess.

Suddenly, back toward the archery flight, came the sounds of combat.

∆∆∆​

Aedris nearly collided with the passing crowd. It was thicker, the direction he'd gone, though it was still generally in motion as each member gravitated toward the archery tournament. Those he had passed had given him little thought and less attention; a waif of the streets, save that he was tugging at a purse or pocket, he was not worth the concern. He passed Goron and Zora, Rito and Gerudo, Hylian and Hyrulian. As if he needed the reminder, Leia did indeed seem the special friend; despite his obvious concern and frantic movement, no one paid him any mind.

Nor was there any sign of the Prince. Already small and slight, the boy's unpredictable goals made finding him less detective work and more simple luck. He was the smallest of needles, amidst a courtyard of hay. Yet, under benches, over booths, up vines, down ladders, there was no sign of him.

Eyes roving, Aedris only narrowly avoided impact with someone wearing religious garb and iconography related to the Goddess Hylia. Lightning fast, a gloved hand snatched the boy by his lapel. Fingers closed on cloth in cold disinterest, and the hooded head turned toward him. As fast as the grab was, the shift of attention was almost leisurely. There was nothing to see beneath the hood, though that was likely a trick of the deep contrast between noon light and the deep shadow within.

"What. Is. The. Hurry."

It was as if the sentence had a knife taken to it, with each word chopped cleanly from its neighbors. As if they fell from a jaw clenched and locked. From its looming position above Aedris, the hooded head lowered down to stop half a foot from his own. The hint of a stench followed, apparently wafting out from the darkness on the individual's breath, except there was neither sound nor movement of breath. The effect was alarming but inescapable, short of Aedris slipping free of his shirt. The individual held him there for several seconds, doing nothing, save emanating that odor, which was rapidly becoming obvious was the odor of rot.

"Hm. I. Thought. But. No." The vise-like grasp loosened, and suddenly Aedris fell free. The hooded head raised once more, speaking quietly as if to itself. "Too. Old."

The individual and its three companions drifted away, as if carried by the general movement of the masses, leaving Aedris alone. And the people continued to ignore him, save to yell at him to shift off the path.

From the direction of the archery flight, laughter turned to wails.

∆∆∆​

The first round was beautifully done. Every archer shot cleanly and well, with even the less experienced finding purchase on their respective target. About each archer's booth, the people cheered, slapped the wooden walls in solidarity, and clapped their hands. There had been whispers in the days leading up to the Centennial Celebration that some races might prove more adept at the sport than others, leading to injured pride and bad blood. Yet those fears were proved baseless, and the tournament was looking to be a close competition all the way to the very final shot.

King Gustavus leaned over the arm of his throne where it had been set upon the dias, speaking to his daughter Zelda. He looked remarkably interested in the goings-on, eyebrows raised in inquiry, and he gestured on occasion to the archers. He fell silent, and Zelda responded, indicating first one end of the field and then the other before mimicking the draw of a bowstring. Gustavus grunted, nodding, before sitting back to rest his bearded chin in a pensive hand. Behind the princesses' seat, Link stood at loose attention. He was after all not royalty, and though Gustavus had insisted on numerous occasions that Link sit with them, the Captain never could bring himself to. But his martial bearing was softened by the small smile at hearing his wife explain the finer points of archery to her father.

The Master of Ceremonies bowed low to the King as attendants cleared the targets of arrows.

"Your Majesty," Crestus cooed. "Perhaps you might command the second round?"

Gustavus did not immediately reply, appearing instead to think it over. His brow furrowed, but he nodded. As he stood, Crestus stood aside, gesturing at the heralds. Their trumpets blared, and the crowd quieted to a murmur.

"I thank you, people of Hylia, for attending this, the Centennial Celebration!" King Gustavus opened his arms broadly, as if he would take every person present in a huge hug. "Just as this celebration is the more successful for each one of your presence, so, too, is the Land of Hylia the greater a land for the cooperation of our peoples! We have experienced a full century of peace! Goddesses allow that we should have yet another after it, that our children might know prosperity as our parents and grandparents never knew before us!

"And now," he spoke, raising one hand above his head, "Let the second flight begin!"

His hand dropped, and once more the musical twang of bowstrings filled the air. It was quickly drowned out by the cheers and applause of the crowd. But the joy changed to terror in a moment, and first one and then another scream rent the atmosphere. Knives flashed from beneath robes, fire lanced from rapidly incinerating gloves, and small bolts of ice like needles buried themselves in wood and skin. Religiously decorate hoods and robes weaved back and forth through the crowd, blades slashing and magic impacting apparently at random. The tang of blood filled each breath as it escaped from dying lungs, and few were able to mount anything of a defense.

Dexton leapt to his feet as his mind registered the first developments of the violence. His hand smashed against Mau's chest, drawing the Zora's attention. The Lieutenant had found them actual seats near the royal dias, and the spectacle up to that point had been, well, spectacular. But the furtive movements of the robed figures, Dex had become rigid, and as they moved to act, so too did he. Without waiting for Mau to acknowledge his notification, he rushed forward, himself slashing with his own blade. Slash. Thrust. Chop. Only sometimes blocked, never parried, and he never left a foe standing. Yet, as Dex shifted to meet the next enemy, he felt the bile rise in his throat.

His sword was bloodless. And the foes that he had dropped were beginning to lift themselves off the ground.

∆∆∆​

Plot! Finally! So, battle is a-foot, and there is danger all about. For those of you in an archer's booth, feel free to take what arrows remain from the tournament (say, 8 left a piece), and engage the threat. Or, of course, feel free to use other weapons! And everyone can feel free to write hooded figures for enemies! Just bear in mind the detail I included: no blood, and after a moment, they pick themselves up again.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks!