Legend of Zelda: Hylia's Request [Horned Statue Quest]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking that later in the RP, if more and more people get added I will allow people of the same major races to play. For now though, I'd prefer a cast of unique characters. Obviously I'm aware that two characters of the same races arent going to be similar--or atleast, they shouldn't.

I'm really looking for incredibly unique characters for this RP. So go WILD.
It's really interesting to see the juxtaposition between who they were before the story hit them, and how their personality from their experiences affect how they travel through this adventure.

If I werent busy from my real life situation, I would've put up a character sheet post today. I'll get to it either tomorrow or the day after.

Accepted Races
Rito, Goron, Gerudo, Zora, Hylian, Korok, Kokiris, Deku Scrubs, Skull Children

Concepts I think are cool (Some Inspiration for the CS's)
--> A Rito P.O.W that uses mechanical wings to aid his flight after having them damaged by the Calamity's Guardians.
--> A Male Gerudo banished from his town due to the legend of Ganondorf, evil incarnate, once having been a male Gerudo
--> A poor Gerudo 'hostess' that leaves town on an adventure for wealth.
--> A Korok given the special ability during the quest become a Kokiri, a child-race of legend, to embark on Hylia's quest.

My next updates will be
--> Writing Expectation (Sense-bound description and Combat/Weapons & Armor)
--> Character Sheets
--> RP Planning
--> Creating an OOC/IC Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Solar

Original poster

882508-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-nintendo-switch-screenshot.jpg

"Go Bring Peace to Hyrule"

Hyrule is on the precipice of being freed at last. The Spirits of the Champions have been freed, and although our Hylian hero doesn't quite remember who he is, he makes a step closer to realizing his full potential once more in the face of the Great Calamity....

The Era of the Horned Statue
Long, long ago when The Goddess Hylia still roamed the lands of Hyrule, word went around that a powerful entity living deep within the realms of Hyrule dealing in power, long life, and wealth in exchange for favors and contracts.

This didn't sit well wit Hylia, and so she used her powers to seal this entity away in a horned statue in an attempt to mend it's ways over the passing eternities. Ages have passed and with the rise and fall of an Ancient Hatred, Hylia's seal has grown weaker and weaker with time. The rise of the Great Calamity has broken the ancient seals placed on The Horned Statue--giving rise to unheard of ancient evils that once roamed the land since the early days of creation.

With the Hero of the Wild slaying the leader of the evil Yiga Clan, Horned Statue Feratus is now in business selling powerful capabilities to the allies of Calamity Ganon and is growing size and threat--a threat that Link cannot face while also holding back the Calamity.

One day you are woken in the night by an ancient dream--a fire covers the land of Hyrule as the Calamity is aided by the power of Horned Monster Feratus, guiding the Yiga Clan to destroy the Chosen Hero once and for all--forever plunging Hyrule into darkness. Yet balls of light come forth from the corners of Hyrule--from each of the major civilizations that govern the land. The Gerudo, Zora, Goron, Hylians, Korko, Deku, Rito from all over the land light up and come together at the face of a Goddess Statue with one phrase whispered deep into their subconscious.

"Find me, and I will guide you"
This is Hylias request--that each race gather its strongest heroes to go on an epic quest to stop the Yiga Clan and re-seal Feratus before it gets out of hand.

Here's an interactive map of the BOTW version of Hyrule
Breath of the Wild Interactive Map

You can easily see what any of the highlights look like by going online. It'll save us all the writing since we are all using the same source material (the game). There's one thing to note, however. Since Hyrule in this RP is busy rebuilding itself from the ruins, there will be Sheikah-based steam technology--boats, primitive airships and what not. Some key areas will be either rebuilt or in the process of doing so--somewhere along that spectrum.

There is rumor that the technology labs around Hyrule are collaborating with putting together a large railroad that may help people cross the vast landscape even faster than on horse!

Places Rebuilt
Rauru's Settlement
Romani Ranch & Plains
Military Training Camp
Tabantha Village

Places Under Construction

Places of Interest (Remains the Same)
Hateno Village
Kakariko Village
Tarrey Town
Forgotten Temple
Spring of Wisdom
Spring of Power
Spring of Courage
Arbiters Grounds
Goron City
Zora Domain
Bridge of Hylia
Rito Village
Gerudo Town/Desert
Yiga Clan Hideout
Korok Forest
Temple of Time

latest

Creation
Before Time, Three Goddesses created Hyrule from the chaos that it once was. Din, the Goddess of Power, with her flaming arms, cultivated the land and created the Red Earth. Nayru, the Goddess of Wisdom, poured her wisdom unto the earth and gave the spirit of law to the world. Farore, Goddess of courage, with her rich soul, produced all life forms that would uphold the laws of Nayru.

The Goddesses left behind a symbol of their divine power--a triangle made of three smaller triangles called the Triforce--in a parallel dimension of The Sacred Realm. As a relic of omnipotent and omniscient power, the Triforce can only be mastered in whole by one who possesses equal measures of Power, Courage, and Wisdom. Should someone get hold of the Triforce without this balance, the Relic would be shattered and the world thrown into darkness. The person would only be left with the element of the Triforce that they most possess.

The Skyward Era

With time, a powerful demon Demise, in his greed, desired to seize the Triforce for his own gain. The land of Hyrule was overrun by demons, forcing the earthly goddess Hylia to join the tribes of Hyrule in war against the demon king and his armies to protect the Ancient Relic.

Demise was sealed within The Temple of Hylia, which would become The Sealed Grounds. As a contingency to Demise's ultimate release from his seal, the Goddess Sword was placed under careful eye in Skyloft, set to awaken to the Chosen Hero at the time that Demise's seal would be near deterioration.

In order to continuously reincarnate alongside Demise's cycle of return, Hylia gave up her divinity to be reborn as a Hylian herself. Her name was Zelda.

The Hero of Time

Hylians populated the land with the destruction of Demise, descending from their Skyloft to build up what would become Hylian civilization. With the promise of Demise's curse--one that would lock Hylia's spirit, Demise's hatred and the fate of a Chosen Hero to be in an eternal battle, The Ancient Sages had converted the Sealed Grounds into The Temple of Time.

Here, the Master Sword would act as the key to the Sacred Realm which acted as the new hiding place for the Triforce. The Master Sword, sword of evil's bane, was locked behind The Door of Time, only capable of opening once three Spiritual Stones were presented alongside the Ocarina of Time's 'Song of Time'. The stones were protected by the major races of Hyrule. The Sages watched over the people. The Royalty, protected by the Sheikah Tribe--servants of Hylia--lives prosperously. Hyrule was at peace.

With the passage of time, The Triforce was shattered and Hyrule was thrown into darkness by Demise's reincarnated hatred--Gerudo thief Ganondorf. With the Triforce of Power in his hands, Ganondorf was capable of keeping the Ancient Sages in deep sleep while he reigned over the land of Hyrule. But a chosen hero would rise to repel this dark entity--The Hero of Time, wielding the Master Sword and banish evil once again alongside The Seven Ancient Sages to return the Triforce to its completed state. Ganondorf was sealed once again.

The Era of Twilight

With news of the mythical Sacred Realm and the omnipotent Triforce came a state of civil war as people sought to gain access to the realm and power within. A group of dark magicians, called Interlopers, crafted a powerful weapon--The Fused Shadow--in an attempt to seize control of the Triforce for themselves.

The threat and power of the Fused Shadow became so large that the Gold Goddesses instructed the Light Spirits, guardians of the provinces of Hyrule, to banish the Interlopers to a land of perpetual twilight. This became the Twilight Realm, and these Hylians evolved into the Twili race. Their Fused Shadow had been shattered into four pieces, each protected by a Light Spirit.

The Mirror of Twilight was the only portal to and from Hyrule and the embers of Twilight.

The Great Flood

Ages after the Era of Twilight, the seal on the Sacred Realm was weakened and Ganon had returned from the Hero of Time's seal to return once again. The people prayed to the Golden Goddesses without answer, hoping that The Hero of Time would return to save them once again. There was no answer, and Ganon once again ruled over Hyrule.

The people had no choice but to appeal to The Goddesses. In response, the Goddesses flooded Hyrule to stop Ganon's reign. The surviving populations cultivated the highest lands of Hyrule, which now was The Great Sea.

The remaining parts of flooded Hyrule castle were destroyed with the power of the Triforce and Ganondorf had sunken with it, allowing peace to return the seas and a new Hyrule to be created from the new land. This becomes the Hyrule we know today--the Hyrule decimated by Calamity Ganon for 100 years.

maxresdefault.jpg

Calamity Ganon

Throughout the ages of Hyrule a re-incarnated form of ancient hatred has always been fought back and sealed away by a Chosen Hero and a Wise Princess. Hyrule was a prosperous nation with developing technology that allowed them to cultivate the land and protect themselves from even the harshest foes.

It would only seem logical to use this great technology to prepare against the inevitable return of Ganon's cursed rage. Thus, the Hylians built The Divine Beasts--mechanical wonders piloted by highly skilled 'Champions' that would work alongside the Chosen Hero to fight back the Calamity.

They also built the Guardians, autonomous robots capable of great firing power. Together with the Princess' ancient light and The Hero's sacred sword, the Calamity was bound to be sealed away.

But the Hero failed. Calamity Ganon returned quickly before anyone was truly prepared. Surging from underneath Hyrule Castle, Ganon quickly corrupted The Guardians and slayed the pilots of the Divine Beasts. This caused the total destruction of the civilization of Hyrule as the war against Calamity laid the land bare and in ruin.

The Hero was slain in an attempt to save the world. In a last minute effort to salvage what remains of Hyrule, Princess Zelda hid the Master Sword deep within the ancient forests and used her light to temporarily keep Ganon at bay within Hyrule Castle for the next coming age. Link would remain in The Shrine of Resurrection before awakening to return to his new fate as The Chosen Hero---if he can remember what happened 100 years ago.

Since then, the Sheikah had retreated to their simpler ways, leaving the technology they have developed behind as the Hylians shunned them for becoming a threat to the land. Enter the Yiga Clan--a sect of the Sheikah that turned their backs on their roots to swear allegiance to Ganon. Their goal? Destroy anyone who opposes the rule of the Calamity--including the resurrect Hylian Champion who inevitable destroys their leader.

The Rules
Writing Expectation

This RP is primarily character and plot designed. While combat and action/adventure elements alongside a LOT of different types of themes are sprinkled in, it's important to remember this isn't a guns-blazing-tank-character RP.

This RP works the best when your characters have a sympathizing back story than can be intricate woven into the land of Hyrule. There's no need to play it safe, since this isn't Nintendo's Hyrule--get as 'real' as you'd like to be.

Of course, before your character is allowed to enter the RP it will be filtered through me so that I can give suggestions that (if you choose to use them) allow them to be either:

1) More fleshed out for the RP universe
2) Easily capable of being woven into the plot.

Showing vs Telling, and being Visually Expressive
Try to remember that showing the reader is more powerful and less boring than telling the reader.
If you don't know what this means, check this out before you decide to join.

LESSON - The Art of Showing Versus Telling

I encourage you to be visually and artistically expressive within your RP posts.
Breath of the Wild is a very visually expressive, romantic portrayal of nature, with individual blades of grass folding over in the wind as they reflect the dewy sunlight. It's important to write in this visual style and add an element of magical realism and romantic gesture.

It's the difference between riding through a desert at night on horseback.
And plowing through the sand while golden specks of dust wisp into the moonlight.
Or...whatever. You get it right?

Oh. Feel free to add media like pictures or music if that so helps you. I know it does for me.

Info-Dumping & Word Economy
This is just my opinion. But I've experienced this quite a bit on text-driven RP's.
I personally dislike reading very long paragraphs that are over-detailing, over-telling and use personal character details as a crutch for their descriptive parts.

Simply put. I emphasize that this RP should be an exercise in showing, not telling. Ten paragraphs should not describe one general scene or motif. If you're character is training in a dojo room, its the difference between:

Sarah was in her gym room training. She was sweating and panting while she made her way for her water bottle, having just trained for hours on end without stopping.
"I've got to train more.." she said. "But I don't think my body can go on.."
+ Insert back story about how her mother died in the hands of the Yiga clan
+Insert her childhood and her entire life story for the next 10 paragraphs

and

The back of Sarah through was dry while she panted through her mouth. The humidity made the air hard to breathe in through her nostrils, a heavy scent of worn faux-rubber mats and lysol spray made it harder to feel at rest. Her head pounding in sync with her heart, and the back of her tongue caked with thirst.

She limped on her right ankle, forgoing her water bottle going towards the rack of rusted metal weights. Her hands smelt like blood--and she could taste it somehow between the salty sweat making its way past her lips.

I think you can see which is more proffered for this RP.
Try to write with all 7 senses.
Taste, Touch, Sight, Scent, Hearing, Kinetic, Organic.

Kinetic simply means, your body in relation to the outside world.
Like the room spinning in a hazed blur when you spin around.

Organic simply means, your bodily sensations.
Like a headache that reaches behind your eyes and the left part of your head.
Sensative to light, everything has a yellow-y hue..and your heart feels squeezed as it skips every other pulse.

Character Development (CS)
Name (First/Last)*
Race
Weight
Appearance: (Pictures/Description)
Gear/Equipment*

Personality/Temperament
Character Story

Writing Sample: Anything you'd like, with the RP guidelines in mind.

*If Any

At least for the beginning of the RP, your character will either have no equipment at all, or if they do (due to their character), there will need to be a logical explanation for all of their gear.

Gear can and will be able to be broken in this RP.
You typically start out with gear only found in the regions your character has been to or came from.
I'm pretty lenient with this. It's just a way of making sure we don't have any OP characters. You will get better gear and grow as the game progresses, which is why being powerful or at advantage at first isn't very important.

Feel free to manipulate and use ANY Legend of Zelda lore to fit your character any better.

My GM Style
I'll also be playing the 'character' of Hylia and certain key 'NPC'-like elements to better promote a sandbox-like atmosphere for the players.

Random events, weather conditions, the guidance of Hylia, appearance of any random enemies to mix it up. How will I decide? Don't worry. I've got a pretty good way to randomize the world for us. I think.

The Plot, The Beginning

Here's the Signup and OOC. Post your CS's Here
OPEN SIGNUPS - The Legend of Zelda: Hylia's Request

Reactions: Takumi
[WIP]
Let me know if you're interested!
I'll need about 4-5 players before we can start

LoZ is amazing; I've been waiting for a Zelda RP to crop up. However, I have to ask: what's knowledge requirement? IRL demands have meant I'm not current on the lore. My last Zelda to play was Twilight Princess.

Reactions: Solar
Dont worry. You dont need to know much of anything to enter this RP. The worldbuilding post wi catch you up (spoilers ofc) to the events of BOTW Hyrule. Including the map and what youll be experiencing.

Theres an optional feading sectipn called "lore" which describes the history of this RP in terms of Zelda game lore too.

Awesome.

Not gonna lie; I'm really excited at the prospect. I've already got a character in the works.

^_^ Welcome aboard. I'll be updating the thread today with more stuff to get us all started

Reactions: Red Thunder
Hiya, Im really interested in this but I think ill need some extra help. I'm up to date on the Zelda lore but only kinda familiar with this kind of RP (as in game RP like DnD which is what I think this is like? am I wrong?) Aside from that I really want to be apart of this if I can :)

@Maelily what race would your character be?

I was hoping Gerudo(cause I like red hair and BA warrior women) but if that's taken then id be cool as a Rito or Zora

Well, as it happens, I've written a Gerudo. But that doesn't necessarily axe the race for you. All depends on what solar decides to allow.

Last edited:
Im not picky :)

Feel free to message or post here your working character concepts and I can point you in the right direction.
I'll be a bit busy for today and tomorrow, so I'll be popping in and out before the big updates are finished and we begin.

Sidenote, I may be debating between a Korok/Kokiri or a Goron.

I think playing the Rito POW would be interesting, same with the male Gerudo and I already have a few ideas for him. Though I would prefer a female Rito if its ok.

I'm thinking if I can go with the male Gerudo Id have him named Doorito, He would have resorted to cross dressing in order to get in and get supply's as he traveled after being banished from his home village. He ends up having an existential crisis over it because hes really into fashion and dressing like a women but because he started doing it to survive and then liking it later hes conflicted over it (think Clinger from M*A*S*H*).

For the Rito I think Id name her Ripley (its a unesex name so if she cant be female its a easy change, plus if you know the aliens movies that's a good hint to her personality) she was originally an engineer before being captured. After she tried to escape (probably more then once ) he captures crippled her in order to prevent her from trying to fly off again. but being the stubborn bitch she is she sneakily built a pair of wings for herself as they had her working in captivity for them, puling an Iron Man on them basically, and GTFO's right out of there with her new bionic wings!

I think playing the Rito POW would be interesting, same with the male Gerudo and I already have a few ideas for him. Though I would prefer a female Rito if its ok.

I'm thinking if I can go with the male Gerudo Id have him named Doorito, He would have resorted to cross dressing in order to get in and get supply's as he traveled after being banished from his home village. He ends up having an existential crisis over it because hes really into fashion and dressing like a women but because he started doing it to survive and then liking it later hes conflicted over it (think Clinger from M*A*S*H*).

For the Rito I think Id name her Ripley (its a unesex name so if she cant be female its a easy change, plus if you know the aliens movies that's a good hint to her personality) she was originally an engineer before being captured. After she tried to escape (probably more then once ) he captures crippled her in order to prevent her from trying to fly off again. but being the stubborn bitch she is she sneakily built a pair of wings for herself as they had her working in captivity for them, puling an Iron Man on them basically, and GTFO's right out of there with her new bionic wings!

@Maelily
Sadly @Red Thunder beat you to the punch on a Gerudo concept. I think we'll have to hold out on the male Gerudo concept for now, since I wouldn't want a male Gerudo to over saturate the interactions related to Gerudo culture.

The Rito idea is cool. It just needs development. I originally thought of the wing devices to be sort of mechanical braces made of light sheikah alloys of some sort. They still look mechanical and clunky but allow flight. That was my idea, atleast. I'd say less bionic, more mechanical-aid. Like a wheelchair..but for..flying Ritos.

You'd have to explain why she was captured, who captured her, why, when etc etc.

The biggest note to keep in mind is this RP is mostly character personality driven, so unique characters with backstories that aren't typical.

Playing with the idea of 'a Rito afraid of flying' or 'a Rito that can't fly' is a great concept for this, since it plays with opposing aspects. It gives deeper meaning and personality behind a character. My only critique is that building a character on the archetype of Ellen Ripley is a little tough to do for this RP, since (IMO) the Ripley/Guns-blazing archetype isn't a very sympathetic character for this medium of RP. I mean, it doesnt mean she can't be an engineering/warrior type. It just means you'd have to develop the character to be more than that too.

As much as this interests me and I want to join, I have a bit on my plate as is and with starting college next month there's no telling how the year will look. I wish you all luck though and hope y'all have fun. ^-^

Cool idea though.

I'd be down for this. LoZ is my favorite franchise of anything!

I haven't beaten BotW yet, but I'm planning on finishing it sometime this week.

I have no clue what my character would be like though. I'd have to think about it for a bit.

Can't wait for you to get back to me! =P

Thank you all for the interest!
Happy to have you on board!
@Grim. Take your time. ^_^
@Takumi I know how that can be. If anything you can jump in at any time once it's started. Or if you like, you can start now, play out a reason for you to go on hiatus and wait for your return, if any. Either way. Thanks for the interest.

I've got about 3 hours on my hands...perhaps I'll update this thread now and get us all going!

Please ignore the formatting of the spoilers.
For some reason they duplicate themselves without my saying so.
Pretty annoying.

Anyways, rules and CS info are all up. I'll be doing an OOC soon, which is where we can talk characters and plot. (Will be re-pasting the main post there too)

• Thank You
Oooh, I'm interested in this! I also have not beaten BotW but I have played the majority of it! Kind of want to play a zora or a Hylian, but I'd also be down with doing something else!

(also hi Grim!)

Status
Not open for further replies.