Learning to Love (Tinder and Saren)

Asked him not to? Cisa frowned as he shifted to look her in the eyes. She hadn’t heard Telasorin say anything about breaking any promises. Unless Sephanir had been referring to the Water Wizard touching his books. She’d feared touching them herself and she hadn’t been dripping wet. Considering how highly Sephanir prized his lumps of paper, it wouldn’t have surprised her.

However his following question did. Suddenly, the moment she had fear crashed into her from out of the darkness. Her eyes grew wide, her heart resuming its wild pace. “What?” He knew and he believed his own trustworthiness had been the cause of her silence. Well, wasn’t it? She took a step forward in a vain attempt to compensate for her reeling mind. “No, that’s not what I—” Her voice grew higher, her panic obvious. “I mean, it just—I hoped it wouldn’t—Gods, what am I saying?” She raked her fingers through her hair, pacing to the side. “I never meant to tell anyone, it just came up so suddenly when Telasorin…” Her mind went back to the empty room where she’d stood behind Telasorin holding a leather bound book. With only Telasorin. “Wait…” She turned slowly on her heel until she faced him again. “How did you know about that?”

The piece drifted into place in her mind as her panic gave way to the first sparks of anger. She didn’t know how he could have done it, but that told her little. He had magic. He could do whatever he pleased with it. Her eyes narrowed. “Were you eavesdropping on our conversation?”

• Love
Reactions: Saren
Sephanir was silent as she went from panic to fright to… contemplation. She didn’t really know what to think of his question, but it seemed that her mind was slow to comprehend just what he’d said. He didn’t interrupt her train of thought, and as she turned to glare at him, the Dark Wizard didn’t waver. He shifted so he was facing her completely, just as she asked if he had been listening.

“I was,” he stated, as if the answer was natural. Of course he had been; it was his home, his hallways they were walking through. He had done the same to Cromdali when she had been here, but he had given her a wider berth than he had Telasorin. It came down to trust, considering Telasorin’s streak with the ladies. Sephanir had no doubt that Cisa would come under the same flirty behavior, which was why he had expressed his concerns to the Water Wizard beforehand. Telasorin had hardly followed that, but without even trying, he’d discovered something about Cisa that she had kept hidden from Sephanir.

And it hurt. He was jealous, and he knew it. It burned him in a way his own lightning couldn’t, a burning that seared him on the inside, not outside. She hadn’t trusted him, but she had told Telasorin, a man she hardly knew. Perhaps that was Sephanir’s own fault. He hadn’t made a point to try and know her as much as he could, and she had given him the same distance.

Instead of an apology, he only said, “This is my home, and I will do what I please. I wanted to be sure that Telasorin did not damage anything. He’s known to be reckless with his magic, unlike myself.” There was barely any inflection in his tone, but there seemed to be a tiny hint of pained anger. If he’d known, he could have helped her, but she had granted that knowledge to someone else. If he hadn’t been listening, he would have never known.

• Love
Reactions: Tinder
Cisa stared at Sephanir completely stunned. He’d answered her without an ounce of shame as though his blatant disregard for personal privacy was to be expected. All things considered, perhaps it should have been. She gritted her teeth to keep her heating temper from spilling out. Even in all the years she’d lived beneath the same roof as Sofia, the town busybody, Cisa had at least been allowed the basic courtesy of a private conversation. The occasion rarely came up, but the fact still stood. She’d never had to fear someone might be listening behind a door, or however the Dark Wizard had managed it. What else has he been listening to? She could think of a number of conversations she’d had with Cromdali that she’d never wish repeated. What about the times she’d been alone cleaning? He could have overheard any number of her conversations with herself…none of which contained anything worth mentioning. I must be the dullest person to spy on—No focus! The principle held. Those were her thoughts to share with who she pleased when she pleased to, regardless of what the Dark Wizard thought.

And then the truth came out. He’d been worried about Telasorin destroying something, just as Cisa had predicted. Sephanir was nothing if not predictable. Her glare grew heated and she could no longer keep herself silent. “That’s your excuse?” Her voice took on an edge sharpened by her growing rage. “You accuse me of not trusting you, yet you didn’t trust me to handle Telasorin? I know how much you care for your bloody books. I wouldn’t have let him damage any of them.”

She turned away from him, blowing a stray lock of hair out of her eyes in frustration. She’d yet to win his trust after all of this time. And he wondered why she’d feared telling him about her inability to read. Just one more reason for him to see her as next to useless. No magic, no personal skills, and no brains; the packaged deal. Gods, I really do belong in a smithy. But she refused to let him see that weakness. Instead she turned back, hands clenched at her sides. “And even if you were paralyzed with fear for your precious papers, that’s no excuse for listening in on us. It’s common bloody curtesy. Or are wizards above all that?”

• Love
Perhaps there should have been irritation written on his face as it was on hers. Perhaps there should have been some semblance of emotion twisting his expression, but there wasn’t. He didn’t show what he felt on the inside because there was no point. Cisa believed him to be a contradicting man, placing trust in one person but not another, but he had lied. While it was true that Telasorin had once been reckless and used his magic for his own gain, his master, Nawania, had shown him the more productive side of being a Wizard. Now, Telasorin was a much more respectable man, even if he degraded himself by chasing after women. Still, Sephanir didn’t trust him alone with Cisa, but he was not going to admit that to her.

“I… do trust you to handle yourself like the respectable servant that you’ve been for me for some time,” he started. He wasn’t trying to placate or compliment her. It was just a simple fact. “Telasorin can be… wild at times. I asked him to come here, but I would not hesitate to remove him had he damaged anything, whether or not you could… handle him.” His head turned down, the yellow-gold glare looking at the ground rather than at Cisa. There was nothing he could say to diffuse the situation. She believed him to be rude simply because he didn’t like Telasorin, but the Water Wizard wasn’t a bad man, not in his heart. He couldn’t bring himself to tell Cisa the real reason, and the only thing he knew to do was turn away from her.

“You may go, if you wish. Perhaps it was wrong of you to come back up here and leave our guest by himself. Give him a room close to yours, lest he get lost and wander my halls.” It was much as a dismissal as it was a silent plea to let the topic go. He didn’t want to talk about it, simply because he had no reason to give her unless he wanted to tell the truth.

• Love
Respectable servant. Cisa heard no more of his explanation. Her expression grew harden and colder. Though he’d intended to give her a compliment, the label burned. That’s what you are, isn’t it? She looked away as Sephanir did, unsure how to respond to her sudden pain. You’re a servant good for nothing more than keeping up his appearances. She’d hoped…but it didn’t matter. She gripped her pant leg, squeezing the fabric until it left an impression on her palm. He tolerated her presence so long as she was useful. She ought to be grateful he even bothered speaking with her.

But why only a servant? Her rage surged again, burying her confusion. She needed a fight; to yell and salvage some of her pride. She wasn’t stupid, damn it. She could think just as well as anyone with the ability to read or do magic. She wouldn’t let him look down on her. I don’t need your learning or your approval.

Only he gave her no chance to rebuke him. He dismissed her with a cool command to see to Telasorin. She could have screamed. How could any normal man be so bloody calm all the time? Tell me why you Wizards are so much better than me, she dared—begged him silently. Let me prove you wrong. But she could do nothing without revealing her own thoughts and wounded feelings. And she’d given him enough for one day. She turned and stalked toward the door, leaving without a word. Every time, she thought, I think he’s started to make any sense, he does this. It would have been easier to predict the flight path of a hummingbird. But what choice did she have, she was trapped with him for eleven years. A mere servant to the great Dark Wizard incapable of fault. What makes the Wizards any better than us normal people? They lived a little longer, could do things no other humans could. But they had flaws. Their word was not law. Sephanir had no right to act this way; no right to treat her this way.

Cisa crossed through the portal into the kitchen, rage blazing in her eyes. She stormed over to the table without acknowledging Telasorin. “Gods damn that man and his bloody magic,” she growled as she dropped down into a chair, grabbing her spoon and stabbing it into the broth. She took a large bite to give herself the satisfaction of destroying something. Anything to keep from hitting the wall. Or Telasorin.

• Love
Sephanir remained turned from his door for a few minutes after Cisa had left. She had been good at hiding her emotions up until this point, and her anger had seemed to heat the room as easily as a fire might have. He had called her a servant, but she had proven she was much more than that. She had repaired his sword, learned the hallways of his home by heart, had crafted him far better meals than he'd ever had, and treated his guests as if they were her friends. He lived like a hermit, but because of Cisa, he'd invited not one, but two of his fellow Wizards into his home. Both had helped him, and neither one had asked for anything in exchange. In fact, Telasorin had not made any attempts to ask for payment of any kind, even though Sephanir knew the Water Wizard could be a little greedy at times.

He sighed, but the sound was lost to the sudden, overwhelming silence. He had been rude to Telasorin, but worse still, he had dismissed Cisa like she was nothing. In the few times they had truly spoken to one another, Cisa had mentioned that she worked hard for her father. Sephanir was making her do the same, except that Cisa had feelings for her father and might have been happy to help him work. She had no such feeling toward Sephanir and she didn't have to do the things he wanted. Perhaps she only did that because she was still scared of him.

Sephanir looked down at the ground, away from his map, his sapphire, and every other magical thing in his vicinity. He closed his eyes, the darkness behind his eyelids comforting in a way little else was. With Cisa around, he had the hall torches lit for her convenience. Now that she was currently gone, he could dim everything down. For once, he didn't quite mind the light. It reminded him that there was indeed another person in his house, one that was here to stay as long as he dictated it so. One that was now upset at him for being unable to tell the truth.

-

Telasorin wasn't expecting the portal to ripple so quickly, but as Cisa came barreling out with the anger of a thousand gods, he sat up straight and watched her. He was completely silent as she swiped her spoon from the table and stabbed it into her stew like it was a knife. She was grumbling, and it couldn't be about anyone else other than Sephanir. That man had a way of unnerving everyone he met.

The Water Wizard waited until she had swallowed at least two mouthfuls of hot stew before he spoke up. "Let me guess, he probably insulted me and you," he started. He tapped his chin, stew swirling in a whirlpool around his bowl. "I don't see how he could insult you... as far as anyone's concerned, you haven't done anything wrong."

He reached over, touching the side of her bowl and watching bubbles rise to the top of her stew. Steam curled away from the surface, but not so much that he had overheated the food. "There, should be a little warmer for you now," he added with a smile."

• Love
The food helped to cool Cisa’s temper some as did Telasorin’s level reply, though the truth behind his words kept her annoyance simmering in the back of her mind. His magical demonstration did not help her mood. She appreciated the gesture, but she was very tired of Wizards and their magic in that moment. She suppressed an annoyed retort that threatened to escape from her to keep from sounding ungrateful. The Water Wizard didn’t deserve her bitterness for something Sephanir had done. He’d been kind to her all day and equally insulted by his peer; he deserved her respect. Well that and she didn’t want to give Sephanir the satisfaction of hearing her yell at Telasorin after their spat.

Instead she ate some more stew, expressing her frustration with on concentrated sigh. “He’s been an insufferable child is all,” she grumbled, swallowing a moment later. “He was listening in on our conversation somehow. Probably by magic. It’s always bloody magic.” She cut herself off with another spoonful of stew. “He claimed he was justified because you’d broken some kind of promise you made, even though not a single page from his bloody books were touched. He seemed to think that neither of us were worth putting a little faith into.” She exhaled loudly, stirring the stew around with her spoon. “I’ve never seen anyone so concerned over paper in my entire life. It’s a wonder he gets anything done.”

She returned to her food, using the repetitious motion of chewing to calm herself. The word ‘servant’ clung to her mind like a burn, painful but unchanging even as she attempted to banish it with an icy thought. She chided herself for her foolishness after all the time she’d spent in this castle working as a servant. The title shouldn’t be a badge of shame, yet it felt like one after Sephanir had said it. Her label had created an instant distance between them, one which widened with every curse that crossed her mind. Some sliver of dignity remained within her.

• Love
Telasorin was surprised at Sephanir’s actions; he’d never known the man to be so worried over simple conversations. Perhaps he’d been worried that Telasorin would tell Cisa the real reason they’d argued before her arrival, but the Water Wizard was no dishonest man. Something seemed off about him, but maybe it was the isolation finally cracking at the Dark Wizard. He’d spent years alone, hardly interacting with the other Wizards. He had to be doing something else other than writing to occupy his time, but according to Cisa, it didn’t seem that way.

“Well, this castle is all that he has,” Telasorin quipped as she chewed, “but that doesn’t give him any right to treat you that way.” He swirled the spoon around the stew, watching her stare into her own bowl like it held all the answers. It seemed like something had put Sephanir on edge, and whether or not it was his visit was something Telasorin could not have said. After all, Sephanir had asked him to come, and if he was bothered by Telasorin’s presence, then that was his own fault.

“I wouldn’t give any thought to whatever he might have said. He doesn’t understand the things he says sometimes. For how smart he is, he can be quite daft more often than not,” Telasorin said, finally taking a few more bites of the stew. It really was good, but Cisa’s shift in mood had almost soured the broth on his tongue. It wasn’t her fault, but he found himself needing something else to talk about. Focusing on Sephanir too much almost made his thoughts as dark as the Wizard himself.

“Where did you learn to cook?” he asked, taking another quick bite. “You might even be as good as Cromdali, but she knows how to bake the best bread.”

• Love
Cisa watched Telasorin as he replied, amazed by how calm he could be. He had been insulted just as much as she had, yet he appeared mostly unfazed. And I thought I was a patient person. She poked at a piece of meat floating in her stew. There was always someone more skilled than she was evidently. She set the spoon down and leaned forward against her hand as her anger drained away, leaving her with little appetite.

Telasorin’s second comment managed to draw a short laugh from her. “I’m glad someone else thinks so.” The humor helped to bury the remaining resentment and hurt that continued to fester in her chest. It rekindled the sense of comradery she had begun to feel with Telasorin since his accidently discovery of her illiteracy. His easy-going way of talking made it easy for her to open up to him, even more so than it had been with Cromdali. She’d always had an easier time connecting with men. A byproduct of her upbringing, she supposed. Sephanir was the exception.

She chuckled when Telasorin asked about her cooking experience, waving off his exaggerated compliment. “Please, I know it’s not that good. Cromdali helped with the cooking when she was here. We haven’t eaten that good since.” His question, however, returned to another topic she preferred to avoid. She picked up her spoon again and poked at the food, using the distraction to avoid his eyes. “I learned at home,” she replied casually. “I was expected to help out around the house.” She scooped up a spoonful of stew and examined it. “It has gotten better since I first arrived. Having better ingredients helps and I’ve had time to experiment with different food combinations.” She put her spoon back into the bowl and stirred the stew idly. “I’d only ever heard stories about foods like these before coming here. I never thought I’d be able to see them in my lifetime let alone eat them. I suppose that’s part of what’s encouraged me to try and improve my skills.” That and a certain someone who she had been feeding.

She took a bite of stew again, unwilling to think about Sephanir now that the conversation had moved on. She selected a carrot from the stew and used her spoon to gesture at Telasorin. “What about you? Do you do much of your own cooking or are there others who do that for you?” She smirked as she raised her spoon to her mouth. “You seemed willing enough to act as my taste tester.”

• Love
Telasorin smiled as Cisa seemed to loosen up again. Her bout with Sephanir had wound her tight, but he did that to anyone he spoke with. There was no reason that Cisa had to suffer through it, even if she was stuck here for an extended period of time. Telasorin knew he couldn’t stay forever – Sephanir would have his head if he tried – so the Water Wizard would do what he could for her. “Well, Cromdali certainly puts her heart into everything she does.” His voice held a tinge of warmth that hadn’t been present before, as if he was proud of Cromdali. It was clear in that small moment that the Water Wizard held some level of affection for the Earth Wizard. But it passed quickly as Cisa transitioned into her story. He ate while she spoke, but she wasn’t looking at him. In fact, she wasn’t looking at anything other than her bowl. He might have spoken on it had she not kept going. She spoke about her home life, something that Sephanir probably didn’t even know about. The Dark Wizard had never been good about helping people open up.

“You’ve done fine, I think. No matter if you think you’re not as good as Cromdali, there’s always something special about a meal prepared from home.” This wasn’t exactly Cisa’s home, but she’d worked hard to make the place look livable and lively. “You’re trying your best, and that’s what matters. Me, on the other hand….” He trailed off, twisting his finger in a wide circle over his bowl. He watched the water in the stew respond to his power and swirl into a whirlpool.

“Nawania makes me cook, but I’m only good at heating the water,” he said with a grin. “I’m all for trying delicious food, so whenever Cromdali comes by, she and Nawania always cook up something really good. Lucky for me, Cromdali loves the ocean, so she comes by often. It’s a shame I missed her coming here. We might have been able to take you out of this musty old place for a little while.”

• Love
The way Telasorin spoke of cooking and of Cromdali managed to soften the smile on Cisa’s face. Though she’d always considered herself above the petty need for praise, hearing a kind word was a nice change of pace. Sephanir never had a bad thing to say about her work, but he never had a good thing to say either. They spoke of magic during their meals, usually whatever topic he felt like going into. Most of them distant ideas Cisa could only pretend to understand. Cooking and sharing a meal with loved ones Cisa understood. It remaindered her of the conversations she’d have in the forge with the people who stopped in to pick up their orders. That normalcy almost felt like it had happened in another life, one she’d dreamed up in the midst of cleaning one of the endless hallways. Gods I’ve been in this place for far too long.

Cisa glanced down at his bowl when he swirled the water within it. She stopped herself from asking if his teacher had ever taught him not to play with his food as he seemed rather fond of doing. If there was one universal truth among Wizards, it was that they had to use their magic whenever possible. No amount of ribbing from her would change their very natures, even if it was a touch ridiculous to watch a grown man constantly swirling the stew in his bowl.

For the time being, she contented herself with finishing her own stew. She shook her head when Telasorin spoke of helping her “escape” from the castle for a time. “It’s not so bad in here once you’ve grown accustomed to it. I went out with Cromdali once or twice when she was here. I suppose I could wander the grounds if I wanted to. Sephanir never said anything about remaining inside the castle. I’ve just been busy.” She shrugged despite the many times she’d told herself in the past month that she needed to get out more. Telasorin didn’t need to concern himself with that. “Thank you for your concern all the same. It’s very sweet of you.”

She picked up her dishes and made her way over to the washing bucket she’d set up beneath the pipes. “Are you going to want any more stew?” She asked over her shoulder. “There’s a few bites left in the pot.” Gods knew she wasn’t taking it upstairs.

• Love
Telasorin had gladly taken the last of the stew, knowing he wasn't going to get something like this for a while. Cisa cooked with care, and Nawania cooked with herself in mind. While he loved his Master Water Wizard and thought of her as another mother, she liked to make food with stuff he hated. At least when Cromdali came by, he could enjoy himself.

For now, he was content to help Cisa with the dishes, heating the water faster than the stove could and scouring the bowls as best he could. Though the dishes were old, they sparkled by the time he and Cisa were finished. She had done a fine job cleaning them without him until this point, but he hoped his help made her feel better about the entire situation. Leaving her here with Sephanir wasn't ideal, but getting involved in the Dark Wizard's business was definitely not something he wanted to do. Cisa was tough anyway; she'd survive, even if she didn't like it.

The rest of the day passed without more issues, as Sephanir seemed happy to keep himself away from everyone else. Cisa showed him one of the rooms she had cleaned, and as usual, she'd done a marvelous job. There were still dust bunnies stuck in the rugs, but Cisa couldn't be expected to perform miracles. For how dirty this place had been, she had done everything within her power to make it lively again. Of course, he complimented her endlessly about it until she blushed, because he thought the color of her cheeks and the smile on her face suited her better than a frown. If Sephanir was going to make life hell for Cisa, the least Telasorin could do was try to lighten the mood until he left.

-

That time came all too soon as the Water Wizard found himself standing near the entrance of Sephanir's home. The Dark Wizard himself had decided to grace Telasorin with his presence, but there was still some tension in the air. Cisa was there too, but there was little he could say to ease the situation. It seemed like it was going to be awkward until Sephanir opened his mouth.

"Thank you... Telasorin," he said, like he was speaking the Water Wizard's name for the first time. "I trust that your work will hold for some time."

"Always does, Seph," answered Telasorin with a grin, one that Sephanir did not return. He looked over to Cisa, and that grin softened into a more sincere smile.

"Thanks for keeping me company. I'll have to come back soon so you can see more of the outside," he said in a mock whisper, uncaring if Sephanir really heard him or not.

• Love
Cisa enjoyed the remainder of the evening despite the dark thoughts swirling in her head. Telasorin was largely to thank for that. He stepped in to help clean the dishes without her asking and used his magic to speed up the work. It was good to see a Wizard use their magic for a practical purpose unlike other individuals who insisted on using it to be lazy and treacherous. Her continued amiable chatted kept her from dwelling on her anger for long as she returned to their earlier conversations about Telasorin’s home and travels. Imagining a far off place gave her mind something positive to focus on, not to mention Telasorin had some skill as a storyteller brought each new animal or place to life. Despite their hours of conversation about its wonders, Telasorin had assured her more remained for her to hear about. Such a complicated and foreign place sounded too good to be real but she enjoyed the tales all the same.

She could have listened to the Water Wizard’s stories all night, but sleep beckoned to them both. She led Telasorin to one of the cleaner rooms not far from her own. The space, while not spectacular by any means, was comfortable with enough candles to keep it provide a dim glow. He went on and on about how good everything looked. Cisa had no choice but to smile as she brushed him off. He was a flatterer to say the least. She doubted she’d heard a longer string of compliments in her life. By the time she returned to her own rooms, she felt better though still nursing her own wounds. A small part of her part of her insisted her continued anger was overreacting, but glowing embers prevented her from agreeing. She had put up with many things since becoming Sephanir’s servant, arguably too many, but she refused to allow him to invade her privacy. She would sooner spend the remaining eleven years in complete silence.

-

They met together the following morning at the door to bid Telasorin farewell. Cisa avoided looking at Sephanir, her rigid stance and physical distance from the Dark Wizard an obvious clue to her mood. He spoke first to Telasorin, managing something resembling gratitude. Just about the least he could do in Cisa’s opinion after his outrageous behavior the day before.

When Telasorin turned to her, however, she allowed a small smile back onto her face. “I’d like that,” she replied, “It was good to meet you, Telasorin. I hope you have a good trip back to the sea. You’ll have to tell me more about it next time.” She reached out and took his hand in a firm handshake, a habit she’d picked up from working in her father’s smithy. Good grasp with eye contact ensures respect.

She stepped back, taking note of Sephanir from the corner of her eye. Her good humor vanished in an instant. “I’d best be off then. Farewell,” she said, purposefully addressing only Telasorin. She started down the hall at a brisk pace before either man could say anything else.

She knew her actions were childish, the sort of thing she’d seen Joanne do when she threw a fit but she didn’t care. She didn’t trust herself to speak to Sephanir now nor did she wish to. The oaf could go back to hours of solitude for all she cared. She had enough wings of the castle to occupy her days. If she ever finished finding the castle below the grim maybe she could work on some of the repairs she’d made note of. Or she could make some improvements to liven up the place. Busy work was what she needed. Something to keep her hands moving. For now she intended to get started on a new hallway until time came for lunch preparations.

• Love
Sephanir didn't speak, but he felt as though he should have. Watching Telasorin and Cisa interact with one another as if they were friends raised in him a spark of jealousy once more. It was unwarranted, but it hurt, and he fought back a visible wince. They shook hands, and Sephanir was grateful that his hands were clamped around his biceps rather than at his sides. Something was coming over him, and it was only made worse as Telasorin departed and Cisa whipped on her heel and left. The Dark Wizard didn't try to stop either of them, and so he was left standing in front of the castle doors, glancing between the opposite directions. As much as he had... disliked Telasorin's actions, the man had been serving as a buffer between himself and Cisa after their argument yesterday. Now that he was gone, there would be nothing but painful silence between them.

Sephanir had always appreciated and preferred silence over many things, but this time, standing helplessly in the hallway, looking after Cisa's quick departure, he realized he didn't want it.

With a sigh, the Dark Wizard gathered up his overflowing thoughts, a flicker of shadow slicing the wall open and taking him to his room. Even in there, with the dim candles flickering and the quiet scratch of his quill, he found himself wanting something else. There was a palpable tension in the air, and Cisa didn't even have to be there for him to feel it. Nothing was going to solve this other than a desperate apology, and Sephanir didn't think he could muster the energy to face Cisa and her wrath in that moment.

This isn't about how you feel, he chastised himself. In the end, it was about his mistake and how he was going to rectify it, regardless of his own emotions. He and Cisa could not exist in the same space without coming to some sort of truce, and that would only happen if he approached her first.

Still, he had to contemplate his words. A simple apology would not be enough, and neither would an explanation. He had to offer more than that, but what?

As the hours trickled past him, he sat on his chair, thinking about how he could possibly dispel the anger between them. He finally settled on something that didn't sound so pathetic, but as he went to his portal and see where Cisa was, he stopped himself. He couldn't spy on her, not when he was preparing to apologize for doing just that. He chewed on his lower lip before he stepped through the portal, the one leading to the kitchen. Cisa wasn't there, but she would eventually have to show up in order to prepare food, even if it wasn't for him.

Sephanir sat down at the table, hands folded on the table as he just... stayed there. No secret glances at Cisa's location, no portals popping open to greet her, no shadows hovering over the candle wicks. He simply sat and waited, allowing her the freedom of movement without fear of being watched.

The day crawled by at an odd pace. Hours rushed past yet Cisa felt painful aware of each. She managed to focus some on her work, attempting to lose herself in the familiar motions. The new hall marked the completion of half this wing of the castle. Not substantial progress but an occasion to mark if only for her sanity.

She kept an eye on the shadows throughout her toils, wondering if Sephanir watched her now. He’d said nothing to her this morning. The silence might have been his usual aloofness, anger to match her own, or maybe something like remorse. Considering his attitude during their previous encounter, the middle option seemed the most likely. He saw nothing wrong with his actions. She attacked a particularly dusty corner with her broom. Well he could keep thinking that way if spying pleased him so. A mere servant working alone would give him nothing to watch.

Sometime later in the afternoon, her stomach began to growl. Between her troubled thoughts and attempts to focus on her work, she’d nearly forgotten she had a meal to make. A frown crossed her lips. Sephanir would need food as well. She tossed her broom into a corner where she’d piled yet another group of books, ignoring them when they crashed to the ground. Speaking to Sephanir was not something she wanted to do. Her stomach gave another growl. She rubbed the back of her neck and then started for the kitchens. Perhaps she could leave the food at his door. That meant he had food and she didn’t need to see his face.

She entered the kitchen while pulling her hair up into a half-formed bun only to find everything darker than usual. Why would—she caught some movement in in the corner of her. She jumped back a pace and hissed under her breath, “Gods be good!”

A second later she recognized Sephanir in the dimmer light. She released a pent up breath as her gaze sharped into a glare. Since when did he hide in the kitchens? Bloody bastard couldn’t content himself to sit in his rooms and watch her. It seemed he intended to start personally invading her space.

She turned back to her task without a word, going over to the counter to select a number of potatoes from a basket. He could sit wherever he pleased. She had better things to do than worry about him.

• Love
Sephanir was, if nothing else, patient. He sat for a good half hour before he finally heard the door creak open. It was a strange noise, given that he hardly used his own doors anymore. Portals were much more convenient, and his hands were often full of books or quills or anything else a wizard could need if he lived alone. Magic was easier, allowing him to bypass walls and doors with no trouble at all.

But Cisa wasn't like him. He had seen how uncomfortable she had been when he had first sparked his magic to let her pass through her own room to many other places. She had most likely been scared of his shadow when he had lit the fire in his basement so she could repair his sword. He had seen her grow comfortable with Cromdali because the Earth Wizard hadn't used her magic. The girl had simply been there and made friends with Cisa, like it came second nature to her. The damn fox had even grown to like Cisa. Meanwhile, he had broken her trust and spied on her when he knew she wasn't watching. He had never watched her sleep or dress herself, because despite his tendencies, he did have some level of decency. Still, he had gone too far, and it had taken Cisa's cold wrath for him to realize such a thing.

He sighed, drumming his fingers on the table, a few wavy strands of dark hair floating around his cheeks. He watched his own hand bounce on the wood, nicking the old table with his nails. He'd have to ask Cromdali to come back at some point and strengthen the various pieces of furniture. She, like Telasorin, was good at repairing all kinds of things... even something like a friendship.

The door opened fully and Cisa walked in to find Sephanir sitting there at the table silently. Or rather, he believed she saw him, because he moved to stand, she leaped back, swearing as if she'd seen a ghost. Sephanir paused, waiting for her to realize that it wasn't a malevolent intruder... just the spying one.

She whipped around, choosing not to face him, and he glanced down at the table once more. It was now or never, because she could choose to leave at any time, and he wasn't sure he would stop her. He stood up from the table, coming to stand on the other side of the potato bucket. Whatever she was planning to make, she'd have to peel the potatoes at some point. He reached down, grabbing a large potato and feeling for firmness. Satisfied that it wasn't rotting, he turned to the basin where he could pump a little bit of water onto the vegetable, rinsing off the vestiges of dirt from its travels. He had a small collection of kitchen knives, and he chose one, sliding the blade along the potato skin, watching it peel away slowly.

The Dark Wizard stood there in silence, peeling the potato, the tension palpable to cut with the knife in his hand. Finally, before Cisa could think about leaving or peeling potatoes elsewhere, he spoke. "I came to apologize." He lowered the potato onto the wooden counter before him, yellow-gold eyes searching the knife.

"I did not see that I was wrong before, but... I was. My habit was never meant to be malicious or frighten you, but that's no excuse for it." His thumb rubbed along the knife handle idly. "I am sorry. I can understand if you don't wish to speak to me, but I thought it best to tell you in person... walking here instead of using one of my shortcuts. They're closed, if you were uncomfortable with them. I have... have not been the most gracious of hosts, but I do not want to make this worse for you."

• Love
Cisa gathered a few potatoes and a bundle of carrots, running a few pumps of water over the lot before returning to the counter. A simple vegetable stew would do for today. She had little enough motivation to cook for herself let alone the Wizard. Now that she thought about it, food would explain his presence. Maybe he came to ensure she kept up her duties. She sliced into the skin of the first potato, the practiced motions sharper than usual. What else was she if not a servant? Someone to do the unwanted work and clean a whole castle rarely walked through or seen. No need to respect someone so lowly or consider what she might thinking of wondering how many eyes watched from the shadows surrounding her.

She breathed out through her nose, pacing herself. A bloody thumb wouldn’t help the situation.

The slosh of water caught her ear. She glanced sidelong at the basin only to see the Wizard walking over with a potato. She watched wide-eyed as he took out a knife and began to peel it. Physically peel it. Her hands stopped peeling the vegetable she held, unsure how to react to Sephanir’s sudden gesture. In all her time here, she’d seen Sephanir use his magic for nearly everything he did. Only his books received any physical exertion. She tore her eyes from him and resumed her work. It had to be a trick, some tactic to get back into her good graces. He needed to try harder than that.

Then he did. Her head turned when she heard him say ‘apologize,’ unable to believe her own ears. She listened in silence, an unreadable mixture of emotions on her face. Words failed her. The Dark Wizard—Sephanir—was apologizing for his actions and making an effort to reach out. He used no magic to get here. He had noticed her own unease around it. That thought brought some color to her cheeks as her eyes slide back to the counter.

She didn’t reply to him immediately, only stared down at the potato remaining in her hands. In seconds the burning anger she’d fed since their clash yesterday died in her chest. Nothing rushed to replace it leaving confusion in its wake. What was there to say? She squeezed the potato.

“I…I won’t say what you did was okay,” she began, avoiding looking at Sephanir. “I stand by what I said yesterday. I don’t appreciate being spied on.” Her voice faded into another pause. “But thank you for coming to apologize. It means a lot that you would go through all the trouble.” Fighting had seemed so important mere minutes ago, but now she longed to put it behind them. Anger could keep a person going, but the burn left only bitterness behind it. She didn’t want that in her life.

She turned entirely and looked directly at Sephanir’s face, folding her arms. “I will accept your apology if you swear to respect my space in the future. I understand needing or wanting to check in from time to time, but if you must then do something to alert me so that I know you’re…present. Like, I don’t know, flicker the light or say something to me.” A small smile worked its way onto her face. “Then we can have a conversation rather than you guessing what I’m up.”

• Love
Silence hung between them like a heavy weight on a fraying string. His apology was out there now, and whether or not she would accept it was entirely in her hands. He couldn't control her actions, even though he had spied on them frequently. It was almost painful to think about now that he had realized the impact of what he'd done. It had never mattered to him; his own previous master had done the same to him. There had never been anything wrong with monitoring those who were in his home. Now that Cisa was permanently here, he couldn't do that anymore. She wasn't like his old master, Malkore. She was just a human, one who had never known the constant surveillance and monitoring of progress.

"I know," he answered in the brief pause that she allowed him. He should have known, but he hadn't been raised like other children his age. He had been sequestered away, quietly trained under the tutelage of another man who had been trained the same way. The line of previous Dark Wizards had always included a startling amount of loneliness. Sephanir had been no different, and if he had an apprentice, he could have imagined training them the same way.

But not now; he had seen the error of his ways. He couldn't do this to anyone else, even his own apprentice. It wouldn't be likely that he would find a candidate for training for many years, but he couldn't ever forget this moment. It was the first time someone had challenged the way he operated, and he was taking it to heart.

"I will try," he said, and there was a strong sincerity in his voice. "Many of the candles and torches are no longer shadowed, so you should be able to see much better. I feel as though I was impeding your ability to work properly, but the light shouldn't be an issue anymore." He had gone back to peeling the potato, and now that it was free of skin, he placed it to the side and picked up another.

"I can cut something else, unless you planned on this dinner being a full potato stew," he added with just the hint of a smile.

• Love
Cisa raised an eyebrow, her own smile growing. “Was that a joke? I didn’t think you knew how to be anything other than serious.” She chuckled before reaching forward and taking a pair of onions out of a basket sitting nearby. She examined them before rolling one in front of him. “Let’s see how you do with this after you’ve finish your potato,” she said, giving him a teasing grin.

With that settled, she returned to her own work, newfound energy speeding up her hands as she cut into the potatoes she’s already peeled. She hadn’t expected Sephanir to be the one to come forward with an apology, nor to make so many changes to his own habits in response to her complaints. The extra lights would make scrubbing the rooms so much easier. Her eyes had adapted to the dimmer light within the castle, but she remained human. Her eyes remained limited in the darkness. She had learned to work by feeling but that method was far from foolproof. She diced the potatoes into little cubes. She ought to have confronted him months ago. Now if only he would agree to get rid of the blasted snake, then she’d almost say she liked living in the mansion.

She snuck a peek at Sephanir as he worked, some warmth surging through her. To think this was the same Wizard she had thrown herself in front of months ago to save Joanne. The very one she thought wouldn’t hesitate to kill her on the spot. Now he stood beside her peeling and chopping vegetables like any normal person might. He still looked intimidating in those dark robes, but for her much of the fear had worn off. Almost enough to make her want to find more opportunities to interact with the Wizard. He had some charm, in his own unique way.

The carrots came next as she removed the peels with smooth strokes of her knife. Come to think of it, he had made an offer the other day before she stormed off on him. He’d said he could teach her to read. At the time she’d barely registered it, far too embarrassed and angry. Not to mention the comment that followed which still...

She pushed that thought away. No need to sour the mood again. Time enough to pursue that thought later. If Sephanir had meant his words, he might actually be willing to teach her. It sounded like some kind of ridiculous dream, free learning from the most powerful being she knew.

“Did you mean what you say?” she blurted out, her hands stopping their work when she realized how her over eagerness. “Yesterday, I mean, when you said you could teach me. Did you mean that? You would be willing?”

• Love
Now the silence between them was comfortable and almost warm. Warmth was not a feeling he was particularly familiar — or comfortable — with, but he was learning. He was slow to learn, but he would get there with time. Malkore had never helped him learn such things like managing relationships and talking to other people. He, and the many other Dark Wizards preceding him, were often though to be destined for loneliness. It was something Sephanir had accepted a long time ago, but if he had really been serious, he would have chased off or killed Cisa and her sister months ago.

Killing wasn't something the Wizards often engaged in. There was never any reason to. They were there to keep the peace and supply the world with the elements, their sun and moon, and the flow of time itself. They weren't evil; they simply were. There was nothing good or bad about them. Magic did as it pleased, and until it disappeared, they would bend to its call.

He'd gotten lost in his chopping again, and the knife, though mostly dull, still came close to his skin one too many times. He blinked, returning to the present just as Cisa asked him a question.

"Did you mean what you say?"

He noticed she had stopped, so he did as well, wiping his hands on a nearby rag and watching the fire lick at the almost boiling pot of water. As she continued, he looked her over, noticing the pitch in her tone, the hopeful look in her gaze, and the way she turned toward him.

"I... yes, of course I did," he answered, turning his lips up slightly. "It wasn't a decision made in haste, I assure you. I just... well, I think if you're going to spend time here, you should learn, and I like to think that it... might teach me a little patience. It won't be easy, but I've seen how quickly you learn. I'm sure you would pick it up in no time."

He finally drew a breath in. It was more than they had said to one another since the outburst, but after he exhaled, there was a bit of a lighter aura around him. "I do want you to feel comfortable here. I know I am not the most gracious host, and if learning to read will help you, then... it is my duty to do so."

• Love