Learning to be free

He followed her into the forest, keeping up with her with ease. He paid attention to what she said about the tracks, and tried to memorize it. It was a long time since he had been out in the wilderness, and so, he was a bit distracted by all the sounds and smells.

She takes out her bow and draws it her arrow finding her prey " I can teach you this later" she releases the arrow felling the deer

"What kind of use will I have for firing a bow, Mistress?" He asked, as she fired at the deer.

She shrugs, " long distance attacks and please call me veil, I am not your mistress"

Z'greel hesitated a moment, before deciding not to ask any further. "Very well, Veil."

She goes and retrieves her prey a smile upon her face, yes. She hefty it, he had not seen her face as she did not often show it and she smiles at him, " let us go, you must be hungry?"

"No, no, I can go on with little food. I'm used to it..." He said, and meaning it, as feeding the slaves never seemed to be of high priority for the humans.

She blinks at him, "you will be eating three meals a day from now on Z'greel. You are not a slave anymore. You have been freed. Elves do not take slaves"

He stared at her for a few moments, without saying anything. "You mean... You mean I'm free? I..." He had no idea what to say. Ever since he was a child, he had been a slave, having no say in anything. And now, suddenly, someone comes telling him he is free. He struggles, trying to comprehend this information.

She smiles but of course he could not see and went back into camp, her companions cut and cook the food, he is handed a plate of food and veil sits next to him

"Thank you" He says, as he is handed some food. It had been a long time since he got so fresh food. He ate slowly to savor it. "So... Where are we going?" He asked as he ate.

She arches a brow and looks at him her eyes glowing beneath her hood, " to my home. Our home now. Do you have any family?" she looks at him curiously

He thinks for a moment. "I don't know. From what I can remember, my father was killed when they took our village, but my mother and all my siblings were taken. Some could still be alive. But you never know with the humans." Thinking about his family saddened him a bit, though he had been away from them so long he barely remembered them.

She nods listening and sets her hand on his leg and he can only see her dirt covered fingers through her fingerless gloves, from this he can see she has olive skin... under the dirt and dried blood. "I understand. I had a younger brother once. He was killed in a human raid when he was only 7 years old. I was 12." She saddens but moves on

"Well, I'm sorry for your loss." He went quiet again, eating. He was thinking of what a free man would do. What he would do.

She allows him his peace and finishes her own food before retiring to bed, even in her sleep she is cloaked, it's almost as if she was hiding, she didn't want anyone to see her

Seeing as the others had started going to bed, Z'greel went as well. He remembered what she'd said, that he would have to share a bed with her. He didn't mind, as on the few occasions he had actually had a bed to sleep in, he had had to share it. He laid down, curled his tail around his legs, and slowly fell asleep.

She sleeps soundly and wakes early, she sees he easily laid by her appearing to have quarrel with the sleeping arrangements. She looks at his sleeping face and thinks to herself that she hopes she will do right by him... She's never ha a charge before and she has always been somewhat of a social outcast

He sleeps for a rather long time, as it is one of the first times he hasn't been kicked awake. For once, he is sleeping in a bed, with no violence to get him out of it.

She gently rests her hand on his shoulder when it is time to wake, they are moving and if he wanted to come now was the time