Lawyer Arrested for Defending Client

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Seiji Savage, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Video:

Read the Full Story HERE.

In a nut shell: a public defender was arrested in the court house while her client was being questioned in regards to another investigation. Intervening on his behalf, she was told to step aside or she would be "arrested for resisting arrest".

Guess what happened next?

From the article:

“I was arrested for what we do as public defenders every day,” Tillotson said of the encounter, which was captured in a video that the public defender’s office posted on YouTube. “I asked questions. I talked to my client and explained to him his rights. At that point, I was told I was interfering and taken into custody.”

A lawyer, a public defender no-less, was arrested for being a nuisance. It makes you wonder, if someone like that can be arrested on a whim, in the hall of justice, what does that mean for the rest of us?​
  2. Maybe she should've stepped back and been quiet for a moment?

I doubt anything came of it to be sure. No judge is going to see that report and go "Yeah, let's charge her."
  3. Why should she have, though?

The man was her client and she had every right to step in to tell him his rights. Part of those rights were, "You don't have to stand here and have your picture taken."

And no, the police do not have the right to tell you to back up to a wall and take your picture. Unless you're being formally detained and taken to a police station, unless you are being charged with anything-- no, they can't make you stand still for a picture.

She knew that, she told him that, and she ended up pissing off a cop who told her he was going to arrest her for resisting arrest.

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha.

And then it happened. Of course it happened. What's going to stop him?
  4. Of course it's the cop's fault for this happening. That's an easy lawsuit if there ever was.

Just another case of asshole cop though.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. To bad it only takes a few hundred police out of the near seven-hundred thousand serving to make such a bad name for police officers.
    • Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thank Thank x 1
  6. Wow, she handled that insanely well.
    Must come with the territory of working in Law for a living.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Well, yeah. But it's the loudest that attracts attention. It goes for basically every group ever. "One bad apple spoils the bunch" or some shit like that.

But with all the stuff going on with the police, I'm not surprised. There seem to be a lot of abuse of power as of late.
  8. I'll be completely honest, I groan and my eyes roll whenever I hear someone go "Cops gone bad!".
    It's getting so popular in the news now, and most people I see sharing such things are taking the position of "You see? Cops are assholes!".

Which is really infuriating because with a lot the people claiming such, it seems to be a case of they just don't like being told what to do.
    I mean think of it, every time someone get's arrested it's a cop who has to make the arrest.
    No one get's arrested because they want to be (Thriller movies and homeless people finding shelter aside).
    Police have a messy job dealing with a lot of humanities bad eggs, and constantly being shit on by the bad egg's and their families for upholding the law.
    • Like Like x 4
  9. This wasn't an issue until the mid 1990's when the police fatality rate began to take a noticeable downturn. Beforehand police fatality rates vs. justified homicides was pretty much a 1:1 ratio. However corruption considered, that may be disputed. 2014 was something like four-hundred justified homicides, though a number of the cases are still under heavy speculation and investigation while the officer fatality rate is down to something like one-hundred and forty. Though all things considered the civilian population outnumbers the nationwide police force (sworn officers) is something like 42000:1. In no way does this justify the abuse of power however, but our various news and media outlets are to blame just as heavily as officers who abuse their power by spinning stories, but once again that's up to speculation.

If anything however this is actually a good thing these cases are being brought to light and corrupt individuals who would soil the badge are slowly being weeded out or exposed for what they really are. I'm not to sure about it, but hasn't China been doing some major crackdown on corruption on both the police and civil servant level for the past few years? Seems to be resonating in the United States as well. Though I'm totally in the dark as to what happens with these same situations in other countries.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Not much, really. That guy was a jackass. Odds are good he's going to get fucked over because of this. She might end up suing over it (and probably winning), and his superiors are gonna be pissed about the bad press. He also probably just torpedoed whatever investigation he was doing in relation to the pictures, because he unlawfully detained the suspect and that'll be grounds for all kinds of charges of foul play and so on. Dude was an idiot.

That doesn't really mean much for the rest of us because the odds of any random cop being an idiot and doing stupid shit is the same as the odds of any random person in a position of power being and ass and abusing it. This changes nothing, because it just highlights one instance of stupidity running amok, and there are plenty of those happening all the time every day if you care to look.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Well he's just completely shafted his own case, the twat.

In the age of mobile phones with built-in HD cameras, as well as this big old thing called THE INTERNET to share performances like this, you can't really get away with pulling these stunts.
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.