Last Chance House (Shadez & Bored)

Roland flinched when Dez called him Roro, detesting the nickname entirely. Nicknames were things for people who had fun or actually had friends in which that level of casualness was okay. He was not a Roro and the glare on his face said as much. Though happy or sad emotions never hit his face quite on the mark, angry ones definitely did. In fact they seemed to only be enhanced by his natural resting bitch face. "Dez." Was all he said though in response to the idiot as he messed around.

He appreciated having Cal sitting next to him, her presence like an anchor in the sea that was her brother. As the movie started and the time wore on Roland started to take notice of Cal's constant looking at the clock and door. It wasn't until they had started their second movie that Ivy walked in from the sliding glass door of the backyard. A sure sign that she had not only not been in the study, but that she had been out way past curfew.

"Ah shit." Ivy said as she stared down at the three of them. Her clothes were a little torn in places, hair a mess, and the faint smell of burnt hair seemed to cover her though hers seemed fine. She very quickly pushed some of her short hair in front of her left eye and began heading into the kitchen for some frozen peas. "Would you believe how carried away I got at the book store?" Her eye was throbbing from the punch she had received a few hours ago, having not actually gotten to the book store. The boys had ganged up on her, that was for sure, but they were definitely worse for the wear.

The only down side was that Dez's money had been burned up in the fight. Though it wasn't in her nature, she felt bad about that the most.

Last edited:
Cal had began to doze off on her side of the couch as time wore on. It wasn't until she heard the door open that she woke, dazed for a moment as she noticed Ivy slip in. Sitting up, she yawned, stretching, a few joints popping in the process.
"I saved you some leftovers. They're in the microwave. Can I get you anything?" she asked, ignoring the fact that Ivy was late. With any of the other kids, Cal would have been furious, but she liked to give Ivy some freedom in hopes that it might earn a little mutual trust.

Dez scoffed as Ivy closed the door, waving his hand in front of his nose.
"I thought you were going to get a book. What happened?" he asked, standing up. It was then he caught a glimpse of her eye, her hair doing little to hide the bruising that'd formed. Without thinking to stood up and rushed over, taking her hand and pushing her hair out of her face to get a good look.
"What. Happened." There was no playfulness in his voice this time, his gaze hard. He glanced back at the others briefly, shooting them a serious look, before returning his gaze to her.

Cal stood up so abruptly she nearly toppled back onto the couch, lightheaded. A moment later, she was at their side, keeping just a safe enough distance not to touch or forcer her will on Ivy. She'd only do it if she had to, but preferred not to in most situations.

"No thanks, mom." Ivy told Cal as she walked away from them, her one good eyes scanning the kitchen. Cal had always irritated Ivy, what with her desire to keep her powers under control. Ivy didn't like that mindset, control was for losers. As she'd shown those boys.

When Dez took hold of Ivy's hand she instinctively tried to burn him, not wanting his concern or pity. "I fell. Geez. What is this? An interrogation?" When Cal came close as well she took a few steps back, setting the ground beneath her melting in anger. "Back up, folks, or I blow this place up." She couldn't actually cause on explosion, but the chances of them knowing that seemed slim. Her hand came up to her eye and she wondered if it really looked that bad.

Roland sighed, paused the movie, and slowly got up from the couch. He walked around Ivy, put up a barrier around her, and opened the freeze drawer in the kitchen. Shifting around for a moment Roland pulled out a bag of frozen chicken, tossing it to her as he continued walking out of the kitchen and back to the couch. He sat down, pressed play, and chuckled softly at a joke being told. The soft chuckle was the only sign that he was at all upset about the events happening.

"Did. You. Just. Shield. Me." Ivy erupted into a small pillar of flames, contained within the barrier, and started pounding on all sides. Since the barrier appeared like a thin film she almost looked like a manic mime. "Gaah! Let me out of her. Now! I will kill you!"

• Haha
Reactions: ShadezAblaze
Cal frowned, hurt, but unsurprised. Slowly making her way out of the kitchen, she headed for her room upstairs, muttering a soft goodnight before she shut the door behind her. Collapsing onto her bed, she didn't so much as bother to cover herself properly, too exhausted for even that much.
All the kids were home. That was all that mattered.

Dez crossed his arms, obviously displeased with this situation as well, his expression hard. Under different circumstances, he would have made faces and taunted the girl from the other side of the barrier, but there was still the concern of her eye.
Glancing back at Roland, he hastily left the room. Several minutes passed before anything happened, Dez taking the time to be subtle and not distract himself. Slowly he opened a hole above the barrier— not long enough to fit a person, but just enough to plop Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at Ivy's feet and close it again. Dez didn't return after that, knowing Roland would handle the situation accordingly, instead retiring for the night as well.

(Hahahaha~ Roland. Handle Ivy.)

Roland spent the rest of the movie not paying any mind to Ivy at all. It wasn't until he turned the tv off to go to sleep that he let the girl out of the barrier. She had managed to work herself into a pretty big tantrum, impressive for her age, and passed out. He noticed briefly that a book was beside her and wondered how it hadn't gotten burned in her fiery rage. The girl's soft spot for books would never cease to mildly amaze him.

When Ivy woke up the next morning she was on the couch, unsure of who had placed her there. She sat up, frantically searched for the Harry Potter book, and then sighed in relief when it was in her hands. Before anyone else could see her, and the smoky mess she was in, she headed for one of the bathroom.

Ivy took a quick shower, turing the water hot when it went cold, and then wrapped a towel around her body. As she was walking back to her shared room with Cal she placed the book in front of Dez's room. She wouldn't say sorry for burning his hand or for how she acted. But she would give him his property back. It was still a shame that she'd never know the end of pirate book, but she would just start on a new one later today.

Dez yawned, scratching the back of his head as he stretched in his doorway, accidentally kicking something as he did so. Peering down at the object, he frowned, picked up the book, and with an annoyed grumble headed towards the study, looking for Ivy.

Cal woke the next day and headed downstairs, finishing up the last of the dishes from the night before, and preparing breakfast for the kids.

Prepping coffee, she stifled a yawn, teetering drowsily along as she fantasized about what it would be like to be normal. Lost in thought, she sat down at the table and took a sip of her coffee, frowning at its bitterness.
"Roroooooo… I want sugar…" she whined into her mug, chuckling at the nickname that'd formed.

Roland turned a surprised gaze at Cal when she called him by her brother's stupid nickname idea and found his cheeks feeling warm. Never having blushed before he figured he was sick and coming down with a fever. But he also had to admit that it wasn't entirely unpleasant to have her say the nickname either. "Here." Turning away from Cal's face he pulled a sugar packet from his pocket and slid it across the counter towards her. "I stole them from your work." He was not in the least ashamed to admit this. He needed sugar in his life, he wasn't even sure how people drank coffee for how bitter it was.

Ivy was lounging in the study, a new erotic novel in her hands, and in a giant t-shirt. Since no one ever really bothered to come into this room, unless looking for her, she didn't bother with pants today. Her legs were once more up in the air, feet resting against the wall of the nook, and giggled as the man in the book said something naughty to the lady. "With a mouth like that I'd let you f--" She stopped herself when she heard the door open.

Cal's brows rose, a small laugh escaping her as she adjusted her coffee.
"Smart," she said, taking another sip and sighing happily.
"Mornings are for coffee and contemplation~" she chanted, finishing it off and grabbing a nearby piece of fruit.
"I don't need to be to work for another few hours. What're your plans for today?" she asked, humming to herself absentmindedly. "I thought I might go to the park and sketch for a bit," she added, thinking of the flowers and bees. Stretching out in the sun could be so therapeutic, perfect in preparation for the upcoming hellish experience that was her job.

~x~

Dez threw open the study door for dramatic effect, the door banging loudly in the process. Bare chested and brazen, he held up the book with an annoyed look.
"Oi… you don't return gifts. Only on—" his voice trailed off, staring pointedly at her bare legs, eyes narrowed as his brain made sense of what he'd just heard. There was a long pause and then a mischievous grin spread across his features.
"Whatcha readin', Ivyyyyy~?" he asked, voice low as he took a step towards the girl, eyes on the book.

Roland shook his head at Cal's coffee addiction, wondering if the statistics were true and hoping for her sake they weren't. "Let's go." Was all he said, momentarily heading up to his room to put some shoes on before coming back down. He stood patiently beside the door, eyes on Cal whenever she was around.

He honestly didn't care what they did, or what she did, as long as he was around to make sure she didn't get hurt. And after seeing Ivy last night he could only imagine who had been pissed off and what retribution might be sought.

~X~

Ivy tore her gaze from her book, with the intent to maim, and was stunned to find a shirtless Dez. It wasn't that she liked him that way, or really thought about any of the guys in this house sexually. But the combination of her raunchy book and his just happening to be shirtless left her reeling, quite literally. Ivy accidentally pushed her feet off the wall in an attempt to hide her bare legs, and tumbled off the cushion of the reading nook. She did a perfect 180, landing right on her ass and her book was sent scritting across the floor. It was almost comical how it ended up at Dez's feet.

"Don't look at it." She whispered, as if the book was spider.

Cal laughed, slipping upstairs to change and brush her teeth, pulling on a pair of sneakers and meeting Roland at the door. Pausing, she chuckled, her head leaning to gaze up at him, lips parting, but words caught in her throat. Hesitating, she looked away, shyly.

"You… aren't just coming with me because I want you to…are you?" she asked softly, taking a step towards the door, her eyes finding his own again.

~x~

Dez bit back laughter, taking his time picking up the book, letting his hand linger on it for a long moment before picking it up to inspect. The cover said it all, a half naked woman draped over the cover, 'erotica' in bold. He could barely contain himself, his body charged with childish glee. Generally, he didn't enjoy causing this much suffering, but he felt it was too late to turn back now. Taking her spot in the nook, he read a passage allowed, overdramatizing the romance, but he paused as the content became more raunchy, his face growing a shade redder. The more he read, the more his tone began to change and soon thereafter he no longer read allowed, instead his eyes glued to the page. It took more effort to tear his attention away from the book than he would have liked to acknowledge, but after a moment, he closed it, and silently handed it back to Ivy.

"Pretty good…" he admitted, blush starting to spread from his cheeks to his ears, and down his neck, especially now that he was far more aware that they were both half-clothed. He attempted to clear his throat, giving her a moment to compose herself.

"You wanted me to go?" Roland asked, giving the barest head tilt as he watched Cal. He hadn't even considered her opinion on the matter and suddenly he felt bad, though it didn't show on his face. "No." Was his response after a few moments and then he held the door open for Cal, closing it behind them once they were outside.

As they began walking to the park he made sure to keep a healthy distance between them, not wanting a repeat of last night. He knew that they both had issues with touching, but it was too soon from that incident for him to settle down about it. But on the outside he looked perfectly normal. Well perfectly normal for Roland.

~X~

Ivy sat listening attentively to Dez as he read allowed, not embarrassed in the slightest. At least not for herself. The poor guy didn't know what he was getting himself into, but she was hooked either way. When he stopped talking completely she moved up onto the nook, barely enough room for the two of them, and read over his shoulder. "Oh man..." She couldn't help her commentary about what was happening, often forgetting other people while reading.

It wasn't until he handed her the book that she even remembered he was in the room with her. Or that she wasn't wearing pants and sitting right beside him. "Hm..." She shifted uncomfortably and then nodded as if coming to a decision. "We should kiss." She said and before he could argue she continued talking. "I doubt you've ever been kissed before, being stuck in this place, and it's the only way this will become less awkward. Think of it as practice."

Cal only shrugged, walking ahead.
"As long as that's what you want," she said, absently, her eyes wondering as they walked. She liked to look at things. Take in the colors, the shadows, the people, sounds, and smells. Taking a deep breath of fresh air, felt invigorated, glancing back to look at Roland. He was further back than usual, she noted. Slowing her pace a bit, she turned to look ahead, her hand gripping her other wrist for comfort. Something about having something to hold made her feel better, though her body was still a little tense from yesterday. Reaching the park, she took a seat on one of the available swings, lost in thought. Lips pursed, she began a mellow swing, closing her eyes, the motion disorienting as she swung to and fro. After a good few minutes, she jumped off, landing with a thud. Taking a moment to reorient herself, she spotted a patch of grass in the sun and plopped herself down, stretching out comfortably to sketch. She was desperately trying not to pay Roland much mind. She wasn't entirely sure why he came, but giving him some space felt like a good idea, and quite honestly, try as she might to ignore it and pretend everything was okay, she still felt embarrassed and ashamed of herself. He hadn't even touched her, and yet she'd still revealed how scared she truly was.
'I…want to be able to be touched like that…' she thought, recalling his hands on her waist.
'I want to be tou— ow," she complained, someone bumping into her as they sought to retrieve a frisbee.
"Oh! I'm so sor…ry…" the man started, but within moments, he was leaning towards her, nearly climbing into her lap, his hand reaching for her cheek. Cal gasped, moving as far away from the man as she could, putting up her sketchbook as a barrier.
"S-s-stop," she shook. The man froze, waiting for her next command, his hand just an inch from her face. Taking a breath, she looked him in the eyes, and hesitated.
"G-go get your frisbee. You never saw me. We've…never met…" and just like that, the man was getting up to go, forgetting all about her. Cal set down her sketchbook, visibly shaken.

'Even simple pleasures are a luxury I can't afford…' she thought.

~x~

Dez felt his body stir, his nerves abuzz, heart thumping in his ears. His jaw went slack as he considered this, trying now not to stare at Ivy's exposed legs. He'd never thought of her in this way, not that they knew each other that well to begin with.
'Where is the harm?' he thought, unable to come up with any reason at all.
Looking at her, his lips perked at the corners as he leaned in, mere inches from her now, his knee lightly brushing her own.
"You've read more than I have… so..show me how it's done," he said, closing his eyes, unsure of whether she'd actually go through with it or not.

Roland kept a close eye on Cal, at least when he thought she wasn't looking at him, and made sure to scan the area around her. When they got to the park he was definitely beginning to feel like a bodyguard, which to him was alright since he liked to protect people. But following that thought was another, one in which he looked Cal up and down, but then shook his head ever so slightly. Flustered, that was what he was and since his expressions were so difficult to read he knew it was coming off as angry. But better angry than to let Cal know that he might want more than friendship.

It was a stupid thought, one he would have occasionally and then get out of his head just as quickly. Cal didn't like to be touched and neither did he. Even when he did touch people it was always with the thinnest of barriers around him. Some of the people at the house had asked if it was tiring, using his ability for so long but it had honestly become like second nature to him. Wake up, shield up, go to sleep, shield down. He knew he didn't have some unlimited power source, but thin shields were nothing to him now and this was his main source of practice.

During this train of thought he heard Cal shout in distress and almost hit himself. How could he had dropped his watch on her so easily? He was never really one for trailing off into thought. After the man got off of Cal he put a thin barrier around her body as well, just in case her ability didn't work in her agitated state and he tried again. When the man was finally gone he moved closer to her and crouched down. "Are you alright?" He asked, no change to his inflection or face but he was still concerned.

~X~

Ivy hesitated for one breath and then she acted. Without much thought she swung one leg over Dez's lap to effectively straddle him and placed her hands on either cheek gently. When her lips touched his she wondered for the briefest of moments if she might set the study on fire. It had happened once before while she was reading a particularly good book, but thankfully the damage was mostly to the nook. It had been replaced after that and the higher ups had insisted she learn some semblance of control before allowing her back in with the books. She had understood, of course, putting the lives of paperback novels before the lives of actual people.

But she wasn't afraid to hurt Dez. Not that she was a sadist, but he was pretty annoying and asking to be singed. As she kissed him, unsure on whether to use tongue or not like in her books, she pressed closer and found delight in his bare chest. So this is what it was talking about, she thought as she finally pulled away. His lips had been soft and the kiss a little sloppy due to first time, but she pulled back grinning wickedly at him. "How was that?"

Cal stared up at Roland, eyes glassy. It took her a moment to regain her composure. Closing her sketchbook abruptly, she moved to stand up, avoiding his gaze briefly as she composed herself.

"No, I'm not," she blurted, instantly scowling at her own honesty, her frustration eating away at her. She wanted to say she was fine and reassure him that she could handle herself, but doubt sat heavily in the pit of her stomach like a rock, making it difficult to breathe. She felt like she was stuck in a tornado, things happening all around her, but she wasn't completely coherent enough to make sense of them.

"I… don't know what to do…" she admitted, hands moving instinctively to each arm in a tight embrace. It made her feel smaller, yet more secure somehow.

"I just want--" she stopped, biting her lips in an attempt to stop herself and correct herself. Covering her face in her hands, she bent over, letting out a growl of annoyance, unable to verbalize her thoughts. If she did, there was still a possibility that someone could be impacted by her words directly, even if that wasn't her intent. The man from earlier had been a prime example. Lucky for them both, she was able to rectify the situation before things got too out of hand.

~x~

Dez hadn't expected Ivy to act and was pleasantly surprised as she straddled him. He audibly gasped, the heat of her hands soothing, yet unexpected. He could feel it spreading from his cheeks down his neck, fanning across his shoulder and chest. The most noticeable effect, however, was how lightheaded he began to feel, sweat starting to bead on his brow. Breath hitched, his hands found her chin, the other securing the small of her back as he kissed back. He knew instinctively he'd fumbled a bit as she pulled away, a look of longing lingering on his features as he stared at her, his lips still parted and raw from the heat.

Regaining his composure, he coughed awkwardly, leaning back into a more natural position, noting how her hand was still resting against his chest.

"P-pretty good… I didn't honestly think you would kiss me…" he admitted sheepishly, slowly letting his hand drop from her waist. He wasn't sure if that was the respectful thing to do or if it came off as him trying to rush her, but he meant well. Forcing himself back to reality, he pulled his gaze away from her own, sitting up more at attention as he noticed the singed nook. His hand found her waist again, trying to keep her steady from his sudden movement, but his eyes gravitated to her own once again, concerned.

"I um… don't want to rush you, but… the um…books," he struggled, trying to muster up enough sense to form a coherent sentence.

'Come on brain! Something smart. Fucking anything.'

Roland watched Cal and found himself unable to truly help her. His first instinct was entirely against his nature and involved pulling her into a tight embrace. But he knew that that action would hurt both of them even more than it would soothe any wounds she was feeling. Even if he could keep up a shield, he couldn't promise that it would stay up if he let himself get flustered. And Cal made him weak in that respect.

He shoved his hands into his pockets, feeling them clench in frustration as he watched her grow smaller and smaller. Hadn't he been the same way not so long ago? In need of someone, anyone, to reach out a help. He knew that Cal had a hard time with her ability. That no one in the house could truly practice with her without having some sort of issue happen. And he knew that he too couldn't help her train. Not with his aversion to being touched.

"What do you want?" He asked, his eyes scanning her body and then looking around her for any threats. "We can go sit down on a bench?" He suggested, wanting -no needing- her to be alright. But once more, to the outside perspective he looked like the worst friend in the world. A man standing beside a girl who was clearly in pain and looking completely uninterested in helping.

~X~

The only thing that really seemed to bother Ivy was the look Dez gave her right after they parted. She had been unphased by the kiss, well not entirely but she was too stuck in her own little world to notice the race of her pulse, and so to see him affected was a little alarming. When he seemed to be calming down and looked at her hand, she yanked it to her own chest, curling her fingers into each other.

"I'm no chicken." She remarked to Dez before she too looked around at the nook. It was then that something seemed to click in place for her. "I didn't burn the whole room down." Her tone made it sound like she was a little disappointed and she jumped when his hand rested on her waist again, eyes pinning him with a confused look. Then he mentioned the books and she was on her feet, pushing away from him and glancing around.

After seeing that there were no flames, and not feeling them like she normally did, she relaxed once more. "The books are fine." Once more she turned that penetrating grey gaze onto Dez as her arms crossed in front of her chest. "Well...I guess I'm sorry?" Ivy shrugged her apology. "I just expected more...fireworks?" It was clear from her tone that she didn't blame him exactly but as if she were confirming some sort of scientific question she had developed.

"I can't answer that," Cal whimpered, expression pained as she glanced up at Roland. Taking a few deep breaths, she tried to calm her nerves, nodding at his suggestion. Looking for the nearest bench, she took a seat, her hands tangled in each other directly in her lap, body tense as she made herself as small as possible, legs squished tightly together, curling lightly under the bench and out of the way, spine straight, shoulders bent, and hands folded. Being in such a tense position, however, had her lightly shaking in her seat, struggling to focus as tears began to well up in her eyes. A few strays rolled down her cheek. Wiping at them furiously, she glared at her hands, willing them not to shake.
"Sorry…" she sniffled after a long moment, starting to calm now that the tears she'd been trying to hold in had escaped.
"I just… I hate not being able to touch people without worrying about how it'll affect them. Even just thinking something can have disastrous results," she bellowed, sounding tired.
"S-sorry for ru-ru-ruining your d-day too," she hiccuped, tears starting to erupt from her more aggressively, her voice raising to a squeak.
"I p-put us b-bo-both at risk," she sobbed.

~x~

Dez raised a brow at Ivy's first remark, nodding slowly in response, confused as to why she seemed disappointed that the room wasn't up in flames seeing as he knew she spent most of her free time here. Her gaze is what got him, his stomach lurching uncomfortably as she spoke.
He frowned, but only shrugged.
"That was my first. It was bound to be bad. I'll just have to practice more," he said, chuckling as he stood up.
"It's not like it meant anything anyways," he said, taking his leave. Hell would freeze over before he'd let her see how her words had hurt him. He wasn't even sure he'd remember later anyways. Making his way back to his room, he shut the door and groaned internally, his head tapping lightly on the back of his door, as he tried to calm his racing heart.
'I could do with a cold shower…' he thought, bitterly.

Roland followed Cal to the bench, but didn't take a seat himself. It would be easier to react to a threat if he was standing, easier to block her if another person came strolling by. He wished desperately for the power of shields that made them invisible, but that wasn't an option. He could keep people away, but he could never stop them from seeing what was truly happening. And when Cal began to cry, so slowly that it was clear she was trying to hold herself back, he felt his heart ache again.

But at her words Roland stirred, taking the smallest of steps towards where she sat on the bench. "You want to touch people?" He asked, voice sounding harsh but really he was curious. Of course, he thought wanting to hit himself, of course she wants to touch people. He knew he could never give her that. Give her the touch of a real person. Not with his shields which he constantly kept up, both outside and inside himself. "Do you...want to start training?"

Roland knew what he was offering, knew that he was going to be opening himself up to something he didn't want to experience, but he also knew that Cal wouldn't hurt him. She could handle his fear, at least he hoped she could. "You didn't ruin my day," He began to say as he crouched down in front of her so he could see her tear stained face better. "But you will if you don't become happy again." It sounded like he was threatening her, but he meant it sincerely.

~X~

"That was your first kiss?" Ivy asked Dez before he fully left the study. It hadn't been her first, and she hoped it wouldn't be her last. She had such a bad attitude, or so she was constantly told, that it seemed highly likely that no man would ever be interested in her. She had expected more passion in that kiss, more fire (literally) to consume the moment. Was that too much to expect, she wondered as she watched Dez grow more and more uncomfortable at her words and actions. "I'm sorry." The words were soft spoken and she was almost sure he hadn't heard her.

As Dez left the study Ivy poked her head out the door, watching him go with pursed lips. "It wasn't bad." She called after him, fingers tightening around the door frame as she resisted the urge to go after him. She wasn't some lovestruck doe and she certainly couldn't see herself feeling that way for Dez. He was too full of himself that she doubted there was much room for her, let alone anyone else. "And...And if you want to practice I'm here." The last words were a little high pitched, from embarrassment, and she said them quickly before ducking back into the study and slamming the door shut. It wouldn't be until later that night when she left the study that she would notice the burnt in hand prints where she had been holding the door frame.

Cal bit her lip, looking away from Roland, embarrassed over her tears.
"I would…" she hesitated, still not fully capable of reading his moods. Her impression was that he was angry, but as he moved closer, she figured that couldn't be the case. He wouldn't make efforts to be near her if it were.

Upon his mentioning of training, her ears perked up, turning rather abruptly to look at him. His expression was almost bored as he said it, but she knew better. He wouldn't ask unless he meant it. Roland had a tendency to not waste time on antics, something she respected about him. Her immediate instinct was to accept, but she felt herself waver for a moment, eyes moving up to his own, fluttering from his eyes to her feet, to his hands, to his lips, to her feet, and back to his eyes again as she thought it over. Wiping at her eyes again, she made a point to try and not smear her makeup any further than she already had, noting the blotchy streaks of black on the back of her hands. Just as she was about to make a decision, Roland moved closer, voice harsh.

Raising a hand to her mouth, she let his words sink in and started to giggle. She wasn't laughing at him, but more at how aggressive he seemed, despite what he'd actually said, his tone and actual words seemingly contradictory. Offering a smile, she nodded shyly.
"Is it really okay?" she asked, relaxing a little. She wanted to give him the opportunity to change his mind at any point.

~x~

Dez thought about Ivy's words as he stood there, sighing to himself as he tried to calm his racing pulse. He shivered once, still able to feel her against his skin— the curve of her chin, rock of hips against his waist, her lips on his…
Dez cursed loudly, his body responding before he could catch himself. Grabbing a towel, he threw open his door, marching angrily to the shower, shoving the door closed with his foot and tossing his pajamas aside. He all but jumped into the jet of cold water, body tingling from the chill.
'She's… willing to practice… even though there weren't 'fireworks,' he thought, agitated and confused by this. At that exact moment, he thought kissing a cactus sounded more inviting. Focussing on that thought, he let out another long sigh.

'It's going to be a long fucking day….' he thought to himself, groin aching. Little did he know the day would get monumentally worse when he discovered his guitar had been split in two by a portal he'd produced during their encounter.

"It's perfectly alright." Roland said, finally taking a step back from Cal. He found himself looking anywhere but actually at her and didn't understand why. It was a foolish way to feel around his friend and he became a bit cross with himself, though this inner battle didn't reflect on his face. "We can't today, since you have work, but tomorrow should be fine? I know that training studio is looking a bit unused."

He had never really seen many people in there and even the instructor was hard to find from time to time. Not their fault since they were always busy, but it did make it difficult to practice when there was no one around to help train you. "Would early morning before the heat hits be better or later at night when it cools down again?" It wasn't full on raging summer, but Roland had never been a fan of practicing in the middle of the day. He technically practiced twenty-four seven, but it was different with a partner. Defense was easy to do by himself, but offensive shields proved to be tricky without feedback.

"Let's head back now." He said and without really waiting for Cal he began to slowly make his way back to the house. He didn't know for a fact that she was following, but he wanted to give her the time she needed to gather herself. Her make up was only slightly ruined, but girls tended to care more about those things than Roland ever did. As he walked he wondered if there was anyone else in Last Chance House that really had a handle on their ability. Would there ever come a time when they would need to actually use their abilities to save people? It seemed so silly to think that they had the potential to be super heros, just for being graced with the genetics of an Ace, but it had happened before.

Cal shivered and sighed, her tears starting to subside, though the thoughts of her recent encounter were still fresh in the back of her mind.
Considering the times, her brow wrinkled. Mornings made the most sense, despite her disinterest in being up early, but then evenings offered more privacy.
Despite her better judgement, Cal blurted out "evenings… please…"
Not wanting to second guess the decision, she let it go, trailing a ways behind Roland towards the house, her steps feeling clunky and awkward as she walked. She still wasn't quite okay from the day, but in an hour's time, it wouldn't matter, she'd be washing dishes and serving food. She'd make a point to thank Roland later, she thought. She wanted to give him time to change his mind. She wouldn't blame him for it. Her abilities had brought her, and now him, nothing but grief so far.