2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Modern Fantasy, but I will try anything
This roleplay is set in an alternate reality in which there are people called Aces. Aces are genetically superior humans who are born with certain abilities. These abilities range from being able to read someone's thoughts to having the ability to actually control another person's mind entirely. This is not the only amazing thing being an Ace gives a person. They heal faster than normal, sometimes sealing up deep cuts in over a night, and they don't get sick from regular illnesses. While you have probably never seen an Ace with cancer it isn't entirely uncommon for them to get it, but the chances are slim.

Aces are not a normal thing in this world and make up a small part of the population, but that could also just be because those that can hide do hide. When Aces started showing up the world went into a panic and many laws were put into place to keep these special humans from taking over the world, not that many of them wanted to. It has been some time since then and now that the panic has died down those laws have been rewritten. More laws have been put into place to protect Aces and a sort of peace treaty has been unspoked between Aces and regular human beings.

There are some bad Aces, those that think that because they have these powers that they are superior to those that do not. This has led to some Aces becoming "super villains" of sorts that go around terrorizing the public. They usually work alone and are not much of a threat, but there are some who have started to get organized in their strikes. Because of bad Aces there have been groups, or even individuals, to rise to the occasion to become "super heroes". These good Aces have put it upon themselves to make sure that the bad Aces stay in line and that people without an Ace are protected. But this doesn't stop regular people from thinking that the world would be better off without Aces in general.

Last Chance House is a program started by a larger organization known as The Tandem Group. There are a smattering of houses around the world, normally only one per state, and they collect all the Aces in the area. Once over the age of eighteen Aces are allowed to leave the house and go on to do whatever they want to do, with the help of Tandem, but most just stay for the rest of their lives. All of their needs are taken care of in the house, they are not forced to go to school (but homeschool is enforced), they don't need to get a job, and they are free to train their abilities as they see fit. The point of Last Chance House is to give Aces who feel no place in the world somewhere to belong.

Something to keep in mind when an Ace is interacting with the world outside the house is that the public still despises them. While it is relatively easy to hide the fact that one is an Ace until they use their powers, once it is discovered people tend to react with disgust and hatred. It is rare that a non-Ace will treat an Ace with the respect that a human being deserves. This is why Last Chance House is so important to Aces everywhere. It gives them the chance to ignore the world that hates them and live in a safe environment that actually cares about their general wellbeing.

We will be focusing on just one Last Chance House in this roleplay, but future roleplays might jump to another house. The Aces in this home are: Cal, Dez, Ivy, and Roland. Sometimes there will be random children in the house because of overflow in a neighboring state, but they don't usually stay long. While I will not be going out of my way to say where exactly this house is, it is safe to assume that the area is even more hostile due to the lack of Aces willing to stay. Charles is the one in charge of this house and he rarely hangs around for more than a few days before going off to do important adult stuff. He works for Tandem and thus has a lot of things to do for them.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ShadezAblaze
3634b64ed4eddef11e07c249c355adee.jpg
(I do not own this image or the rights to it)

Name: Desmon (Dez) Severn
Appearance: Tall / lanky build; Hazel eyes; Dark brown hair
Personality: competitive, extroverted
Power: Portals
Quirk: Foot tapping/finger drumming/gum chewing/humming
*mental note - electricity - sparks

Name: Callé (Cal) Severn
Appearance: Curvy / average height; Blue eyes, Dark Brown hair
Personality: inquisitive; introverted
Power: Hypnosis
Quirk: Lip/cheek biting/humming
*mental note - touch - eyesight - commanding presence

~Villain~

tumblr_ohos8hGuNE1raq7zdo4_r1_640.png

(I do not own this image or the rights to it)

Name: Rowan (Ro) Cyrilla
Appearance: Light blue hair, green eyes
Personality: Rowan has an air of kindness and care, but hidden behind it is a jaded young woman tired of living under public scrutiny. What she's most passionate about is providing a place for Aces alike, even at the sacrifice of equality-- especially, at the sacrifice of equality among people who could never possibly be 'equal.'
Power: Ability Energy - Rowan is able to focus on energy, similar to an aura, and draw from it for transfer. This means she can suppress or strengthen an Ace's ability for a short duration of time or transfer energy over a longer period. Holding onto unharnessed energy is dangerous, however, and can hurt her if held too long.
*Mental note - wisps of energy
Motivation: Rowan is familiar with the feeling of solitude and isolation, having grown up hidden away from society by her non-Ace parents once her abilities started to show. Although this didn't stunt her social development once released, it did make her bitter towards sheltered environments and passionate about providing safe places for other Aces as someone who was not only disrespected, but hidden away for their differences.
(I may change this later)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: BoredAsUsual
Name: Roland Valgier
Appearance:
Roland.jpg
Personality: Stoic, doesn't really like to talk, laughs at stupid jokes but otherwise has no expression. He doesn't have a lot of friends, but becomes fiercely protective of those he does claim as friends.
Power: Barriers
*like an aura - centered around a point

Name: Ivy Winters
Appearance:Ivy.jpg
Personality: Hot headed, likes being in control, sharp tongue, and doesn't like being told what to do.
Power: Fire
*can do hot or ghostly flames - out of control easily

~Villain~

Name: Ven Canicus
Appearance:
00ad9aa40f24dbed1f92f1400c456531.jpg
Personality: Bossy, sarcastic, likes reading and hates being disturbed while doing so. Enjoys teasing people.
Power: A weird mix of invisibility and phasing that I will call Ghost
*can become invisible in a way, but less not being able to see him and more like he's literally not there anymore
Motivation: Was promised to be put through college and then given a very good job/Was bullied in high school for being an Ace so he hates non-Acers

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ShadezAblaze
Dez swiveled on his barstool, leering at his sister as she refilled his previously empty glass, bubbles rising to the surface. She smirked, hands brushing his lightly against his. He rolled his eyes. His skin did not prickle or tingle. He felt nothing but the condensation of his cup and the absence of her hand as she moved to briefly serve someone else at the bar.
"I can't believe you got the job over me. Who could deny this face?" he complained, pouting at her pathetically.
Cal's eyes scanned the bar idly, avoiding the accusation in her brother's eyes and the impatient tapping of his knuckles of the wood of the counter. He could be such a child.
"Can't imagine why," she said flatly, scooping ice-cream into another glass and sliding it down to another waiting patron.
He sighed, noticing her slight impatience. Biting his lip, his sneakers tapped lightly against the underside of the counter as he leaned against his elbow glumly. At times like this, he wanted to playfully tug on her hair or pinch her- goad her into a fit of anger like he used to as kids, but now wasn't the best time. He could still sense her own reluctance to take the job, stepping cautiously, repeating orders two, sometimes three times to ensure they were correct, and the vibrant flush of her cheeks as she scurried to keep pace.
"I mean...seriously..." he grumbled, chuckling to himself as he caught a twinge of irritation in the sway of her hips.
"I would have been--"
"Don't you have practice?" she interrupted, hand on hip, a silver tray balanced in the other, both now distinctly gloved. She sighed, turning to continue serving.
"Right..." he said, frowning. He knew he'd gone to far when she refused to pay him even a passing glance as he gathered himself to leave.
"See you at home, Callé!" he called with a wave, picking up his guitar, only to be hit with a rag as he left.

Roland was sitting in the kitchen of Last Chance House, a name he really liked to tell people whenever they actually asked about him. The fridge was stocked full of all the healthy things growing young adults could need and the pantry just lead into even more healthy garbage that had Roland on edge. "I just want a damn diet coke!" He seethed and slammed the fridge door shut, rattling it a bit in place. It was the most anger he had shown in quite some time and it sent one of the younger kids running off. He was suffering from a serious lack of sugar in this place and they wouldn't even allow the fake stuff anymore. Not since one of the kids starting showing signs of being hyperactive with their powers and whoever was in charge of this place decided to make sure that didn't happen again. Roland turned an uninterested glare on the surviving person in the kitchen. "I'm leaving. Tell someone."

~X~

Ivy threw her legs up into the air, catching them on the wall of the reading nook she had situated herself in. She turned another page of the erotic novel she was reading this week and giggled at what she found. "Oh yes...You should definitely kiss him." She told the young lady within the pages, knowing full well that she couldn't actually be heard. Do it, do it, do it. Ivy was practically vibrating as she pressed the book even closer to her face, wishing she herself could see the damn pirate.

Dez sighed heavily, mentally preparing himself for the onslaught as he ascended the front steps. The kids had a tendency to ask him for help with homework, help preparing meals, grabbing things off the top shelves, and with chores- anything really that allowed them a few minutes one-on-one with him. Between them all, it could be a bit tiring.
"Deeeeez~" a few called, as if on cue. He chuckled, setting his guitar down in preparation for the kids that quickly came slamming into him. Rubbing foreheads and lifting them up, he chuckled. Try as he might to disregard their attention, he couldn't help but welcome them.
'It is nice to be wanted,' he thought to himself.
"Are you going to play anything today?" one asked, linking their arms around his forearm. He lifted them lightly off the ground, muscles flexing as two more joined them.
"I have some time to spare. Why not?" he said, reaching for his guitar again.
"Nooooo. Play the uke," one whined. He smirked.
"Fine, but I get to pick the song this time."
A few minutes later he returned with his ukulele, the instrument light and welcoming in his hands as he hummed a tune.
((I'm Yours - Jason Mraz))

~x~

Cal hummed to the music playing over the speakers as she brought out an order, sliding two burgers to a couple in one of the back booths, resisting the urge to cough, one, or both of them, reeking of cigarettes. It was then she felt it- his eyes. She could feel his hungry gaze. Shuffling uncomfortably, she refilled their water and turned to leave, but his hand stopped her, grazing her shoulder.
"Hey, could I get some ketchu-," he froze, electricity sliding up his arm. He looked like he'd just been struck, a dumb expression lingering on his face as she kept moving.
"Right away."
Seconds passed before he recovered and sat down, eying the girl reluctantly.
Tense, Cal returned to the counter, thankful for the dishes that awaited her attention, sending another server to deliver the ketchup to the back booth.
The other server gave her an annoyed look, but followed it with "okay, but I'm keeping the tip."
She nodded, the weight of the day resting heavily on her shoulders, feet aching and hands burning as she scrubbed.

Ivy was just getting to the juiciest part of her book when the strumming of music invaded her thoughts. She tried very hard to ignore it, but it was a little difficult to imagine oneself in the era of fantastical pirates and pretty dresses when I'm Yours by Jason Mraz was playing so close by. As if on cue the corners of her book started to smoke as she squeezed her eyes tight in annoyance. When after a minute it didn't stop she leapt to her feet, pounded out into the hallway, and yelled, "Could you do that somewhere else? Somewhere super far away?" The smell of smoke wafted out behind her and she gave a small squeak as she looked back to find her book a pile of ash on the ground where she had been reading. "Now I'll never know the ending..." She whispered.

~X~

"Her name is Calle, but she goes by Cal." Roland told one of the servers at the place he had hoped was the one Cal worked at, but couldn't be sure of the name. "Yeah. Can you point me to her section? And tell her that a customer has a complaint." He could tell by the worried expression on the server's face that they thought he was quite serious, but he didn't care. He just had that kind of appearance.
He turned away from the person and walked to one of the open booths in the section Cal was working. If he couldn't get some sugar in this joint he just might explode.

Dez looked up, his playing muted by Ivy's outburst, shock clear in his eyes, but as smoke began to billow from the open door, he found himself desperately trying to hold back laughter, coughing awkwardly into the crook of his elbow to suppress it.
After a minute of struggle, he managed to calm himself, putting a hand up to signal his surrender, moving slowly so as not to anger her further.
"Run along," he said to the others, motioning with his chin and coy smile.
"Author and title." It wasn't a question, but more a request.

~x~

Cal dropped a glass, it slipping from her fingers and shattering within the sink. The server who had relayed that there was a complaint sighed heavily, giving her a tired look.
"The sooner you go, the sooner it'll be over," they advised, shooing her out of the kitchen.
Her hands were raw and mouth felt dry as she struggled to pull her gloves back on, body stiff with tension.
Making her way to the table, she hesitated.
"Roland? What couldn't wait until I got home?" she asked, letting out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding moments before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivy leveled Dez with a glare. Of course it was him playing the damn music. The guy just didn't know when to be quiet, in her mind at least. With flames dancing in her eyes and she watched him try and fail to hold back laughter. It wasn't anything new, everybody laughed at her "tantrums" until the smoke clogged their airways. Then it just left her to laugh. What cooled her flames however was Dez's question. "I-i..." Her cheeks flamed this time and she floundered for the title of a normal book. One that didn't contain explicit scenes. She'd never live it down. "Harry Potter." She finally choked out.

~X~

Roland turned a bored gaze towards Cal, though most might just assume he had no expression at all. "They got rid of the sodas in the house. And the candy." It was very faint and only his close friends would be able to tell the slight shift in tone, but Roland was whining. "I just want..." His shoulders heaved up and then down in defeat. "A milkshake. And a piece of pie. With an ice cream sundae on the side. Extra whip cream." Roland looked Cal up and down after a moment. "You look like shit."

Dez glanced back towards the study and back at Ivy again, lips lifting at the corners.
"Hold on," he said, climbing the stairs to his loft. It took him a few minutes to locate it, but the book had been buried under sheet music and an estranged sweater. Flipping through the pages, he returned downstairs fanning himself with the novel in hand.
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," he said, triumphantly. It'd been fluke that he'd had it since he didn't really find much joy in reading. He found it difficult to sit still when doing so and thus preferred audiobooks when it suited his interests.
"Enjoy the note," he said, winking at her before heading back to his room.
'Such a bad liar,' he thought to himself, tucking his wallet back into his back pocket. Hopefully he'd left enough to cover the damages. He wasn't quite sure where he was going to play in the future, however.

~x~

"Always the gentleman," Cal growled, taking the order back to the kitchen, returning moments later with her apron in hand. Resting her head in her hands, she snatched Roland's cherry and popped it in her mouth.
"I was touched…" she said in a hushed tone, sharing a look of concern. She knew it was unlikely the customer would even remember, but she could still feel his mind in the back of her own. She could still see her legs as she walked and feel his longing. Nauseated, she shook her head.
"If you can afford to eat all of this," she said, motioning to the food she'd brought, "why don't you just buy a pack of sodas and hide them under the bed or something?" she asked.

Ivy hesitantly took the book from Dez, giving him a wary glance before staring at the book's cover. As if I'd be on the first book, she thought bitterly, no one here believes in my genius. A blush creeped up on her cheeks at his wink, but she knew better than to let him get to her. It was just an after effect of the book she had been reading with its' oh so explicit content. Her eyes followed him as he left the study and she soundly slammed the door behind him, tearing through the book for this note he mentioned. When she saw the money it took all her will power not to set it on fire.

"Idiot." She hissed, but whether it was aimed at herself or Dez remained a mystery as she pocketed the cash. Ivy looked at her watch, finding the time to be getting pretty late but wanting to hit the book store either way. They had a curfew here at Last Chance House and a loose rule about not leaving without a buddy. The older kids did it enough that it didn't really matter, but she had been told multiple times to never leave on her own. Something about needing someone to make sure no messes happened.

But that had never really stopped her anyway, she thought as she once more exited the study and made her way to the room she shared with Cal. The house wasn't big enough to let them all have their own rooms and for some reason they had had a small rush of children lately. It would be a few weeks before the little ones were transferred to a different home, but until then Ivy and the others had to share nicely. She had taken to sleeping in the study, but all of her clothes were still in the room. She tugged on a pair of sneakers and very quietly left out the backdoor of the house.

~X~

"I don't really want to know about your personal life." Roland shot back to Cal, but they both knew that he was just kidding. "Which idiot? Want me to deal with 'em?" He never really quite understood how her powers worked, but he did know that they made her feel uncomfortable at times. Roland made a mental note to pay closer attention the next time he had Cal explain how she did her thing to do again, but that mental note was quickly forgotten as he stared at the bounty before him.

"Oh I'm not paying for this." He said and if one were to look closely enough they would be able to tell that the expression on his face was as close to a smile as he would ever get, the tiniest tug at the corner of his lips. He allowed Cal to eat the cherry on his sundae, having never been a fan of them unless in a Roy Roger's, and got to work sampling a bit at a time.

Strangers would say that he devoured the feast before him, but his friend's would be able to tell that he was being quite meticulous. Every bite he savored and at the end of it he finally remembered that Cal was sitting with him. He turned his face away from the melted ice cream and once hot but now cold fudge bits. "The house has a tab for this place. I'm making one of the people in charge pay for this at the end of the month and if they have a problem with it I'll blame your brother." His vibrant gold eyes twinkled only just slightly as they regarded Cal, but he knew that she would be able to tell that he was kidding. Mostly.

Dez heard a door slam somewhere downstairs, chuckling to himself lightly.
'With how that girl reads, it's not likely she was on the first book,' he thought, entertained by Ivy's anger.

Groaning, he mentally prepared himself for practice. Laying on his bed, he stared blankly at the ceiling, arms at his sides, fingers spread against the blanket. Allowing his mind to go blank was the biggest challenge, thoughts distracting him easily. Suppressing a yawn, he shook his head slightly, staring at the same spot. In time, his view of the ceiling began to fizzle and separate, ripping a hole where it had once been solid. Dez ground his teeth, tension extending to his legs, knees, and toes.

'Breathe,' he reminded himself, inhaling sharply. The hole was about the size of a basketball now, and he could very clearly see the stray sock he'd abandoned under his bed. His hands began to shake with effort, breathing labored as his concentration remained transfixed on the sock. As the hole expanded, the sock fell, landing at his feet. Exhaling, the hole immediately closed. Letting his head hit his pillow, he flexed his fingers, allowing the tension to ease away. He didn't know why it required such concentration to use his ability, but he found it quite tiring.

~x~

Cal felt the corners of her lips tug, a small smile revealing itself in response to Roland's attitude, wondering vaguely why more people didn't find him funny.

"I can handle myself… it just surprised me is all," she said, playing idly with the shakers, this time stealing a sip of his milkshake.

Cal quirked a brow at this, a grin spreading across her face at the thought.
"Anyone who knows him would believe it," she laughed, considering the prospect. Dez was short on cash as it was, looking for a job like she had been. To both their surprise, they'd gotten calls back almost immediately. Little did they know they'd be competing for the same server position. Cal understood his frustration, but she'd wished he'd found it in himself to be proud of her. She was doing it for both of them after all.

Stacking some of the empty dishes, Cal quickly fished into her pockets for some of her tips, laying a few crumpled bills onto the table.

"Park or movie?" she asked. She had an affinity for the swings at their local park, especially around dusk when you could watch the moon rise and stars begin to show, but this was also the optimal time to snatch the living room at the house as most of the kiddies should be off to bed soon.

"Keep your money." Roland growled, shoving the bills back at Cal. "The house will pay and they won't complain. You know how they are." Since the majority of them weren't really allowed out and about most days it made sense for their benefactors to take care of them. Cal was lucky that she was able to come out and get a job, it showed a certain respect towards her. Roland was also allowed out whenever he wanted, save for the curfew, but there was no way in hell he would get a job. Every place he applied to always said the same thing, 'poor customer service'.

If only they could actually see him smile. That would really give them a reason to run.

"Movie." Now that he had had his fix he was ready to get back home. He didn't like leaving the house often, especially during the odd time that there were kids there. "I don't know who is watching the house tonight." Cal would understand his worry, even if it didn't show in his face. With the ability to make shields seemed to come the need to protect with those shields.

When he was young he used to only want to protect himself, but now he had a lot of people he wanted to protect. When he thought Cal wasn't looking he watched her movements. She seemed to be fine, if a little tired. A movie in would do her some good as well. He would even let her fall asleep on his shoulder if she wanted. "Let's go."

Cal rolled her eyes, making a point to leave the bills behind one of the glasses and out of Roland's view. She knew the bill would be covered, but couldn't speak for the tip. She didn't have to live on them now, but she could only imagine what it was like for those that didn't have a choice in the matter.

The girl's face fell for a moment, considering the prospects. The kids were likely headed to bed now, but that didn't mean they were safe. She sighed warily, mind wandering. Dez was likely home, at least, so she knew they'd be okay, but that didn't mean much. A few of them were masterfully troublesome, their abilities still developing and thus a danger to themselves just as much as others. This also meant a lot of them were prone to senseless risks to break curfew. A movie in was probably best.

Cal skipped ahead a few paces, balancing on the curb to delay the walk a bit, hoping she might at least catch a glimpse of the moon before they made it home. Her limbs ached with each passing step, but the air was cool and soothed her skin. It felt so nice even, that she ventured to remove her gloves once more, stretching her fingers and massaging them as she walked.

"Since horror and crime are too graphic for little eyes, should we watch a fantasy film? A comedy? Or a classic?" she asked, listing off ideas, glancing back over her shoulder, and teetering for a moment as she tried to remain balanced.

Roland kept looking at Cal's face as she considered the movie option and he could only assume that she was worried about the same thing as she was. He knew for a fact that one person in particular tended to need more help than others. Ivy was nineteen years old and still hadn't mastered her abilities. She had been at the house for longer than him and they barely spoke a word, because whenever they did it ended up in flames, literally. No one really knew why, especially Roland, why the girl was so angry all the time. The only moments of peace were when she was reading those disgusting books of hers. Since he had already been gone a few hours he could only imagine what she might have done to the place.

Roland noticed Cal keeping looking up at the moon and smirked ever so slightly. "If you want, we can sit outside after the movie." He didn't really mind what they did as long as he was around his friends. When he saw Cal start to wobble he reacted on instinct, reaching out and placing both hands firmly on her waist. He didn't look like it, but Roland spent a good chunk of his day working out. He wasn't going to be a bodybuilder any time soon, but he could handle himself in a fight. He had learned long ago that shields could only do so much. "Steady." He said gruffly and moved to stand behind her. "You know I'll watch whatever you want."

Cal grinned at Roland's suggestion, but was quickly caught off guard as he caught her, her arms raising for the sky, body tense.

Alarmed, she looked back at him, not feeling any direct contact, her expression panicked as she searched his face. Taking a step back, she steadied herself again, looking ahead so he wouldn't see the fear in her eyes. The gloves she usually wore quickly followed, leaving no skin exposed. She hated having to cover herself all the time. It pained her to do so, especially when it was so nice out, but even the risk of accidental exposure could disarm. It was too easy for her to take a hold of someone's mind or inadvertently take control. People were left dazed at best, like the man at the bar.

"Sorry, uh-… maybe tonight isn't the best night… I… can't risk getting close to people," she mumbled, crossing her arms.

She clenched her jaw, exasperated. All she'd ever wanted was to suppress her ability. Cure it. Anything. It felt more like a curse than a gift, but there was some solace- Dez wasn't affected. Neither one of them fully understood why.

Roland stumbled, the only true sign that he was bothered by Cal's reaction, and then his expression closed off. It didn't matter now how close she was to him or if felt like he could let his own inner shields down around her, he was a blank slate. "You know I use shields when I touch you." Was all he said as he moved back in step beside and a little ahead of her.

For the rest of the walk he remained quiet, even if Cal did try for conversation he knew he wouldn't reply. It wasn't all her fault, it was just how he was from time to time. There was still a frightened child somewhere deep inside him who would flinch at sudden movements, would shatter at the mere sight of a trusted friend pulling away. Though on the outside he looked fine, borderline blank and glassy eyed, on the inside a storm was raging.

When they entered Last Chance House he relaxed just a bit, some of the tension leaking from his body and only noticeable when it was gone. He nodded at the living room, suggesting without words the Cal get the movie started, and went to poke his head into a few rooms.

Cal didn't look in Roland's direction, her senses flooded with shame as she reminded herself repeatedly why it was she couldn't get too close. She could hurt him. It was that simple, but it didn't hurt any less to have to be on guard all the time, especially with the people she cared about.

Walking up the steps, Cal took to the living room, prepping a comedy that she deemed appropriate, and left the remote for someone to handle out on the coffee table. The kitchen was her real destination. Just as she'd suspected- dishes were piled and spilling out of the sink, the garbage hadn't been taken out, nor had the counters even been wiped down or cleared properly. This happened a lot lately, the extra kids creating more of a mess than they were used to containing. Lucky for Cal, she needed a distraction. Grabbing the first few dishes, she removed her gloves, rolled up her sleeves, and started scrubbing away, doing her best to contain the tears that were starting to surface. Between work and Roland, she felt increasingly unfulfilled for the day, the feeling of inadequacy heavy on her mind.

Dez poked his head in the kitchen as he heard the two arrive, but frowned when he found his sister doing dishes.
"Don't you ever fucking rest?"
"L-language! There are kids present," she grumbled, sniffling lightly.
He took a step closer, but hesitated. As if reading his mind, she turned to glare at him over her shoulder.
"Don't you dare."
A grin broke out on Dez's face as he lunged for her, grabbing her around the waist and pulling her into a tight hug.
Cal squealed like a caged animal, covering her face in her hands to shield her tears from sight.

"W-w-whyyyyyyyy?" she groaned, pounding her fist lightly against his chest.

Dez pulled her in for a proper hug, one hand resting on her back, the other on the back of her head as he kissed the top of it lightly.
"Because I give the best hugs and you hate them," he chuckled.

"You're fucking gross and I hate you," she growled in a low voice, turning back to the dishes. Dez grabbed the garbage and left her to it, keeping an eye out for Ivy. He suspected she'd taken off again, but wasn't so sure, and silently hoped she'd be home on time before things got too out of hand.

((Oh Ivy ain't gonna' be back for a while.))

Once Roland was certain that the kids were in their beds he signed and went back to the living room. He found Cal in the kitchen and was going to join her, maybe say sorry but probably not, when he also saw Dez. Not really wanting to be thoroughly annoyed just yet today Roland turned on his heel and went to the couch. He took a seat, sinking into the leather which had been scratched and worn down with age and children playing on it, and momentarily closed his eyes. The only one he hadn't seen was Ivy, but she liked to hide in the study from time to time. Hide and seek wasn't a game he played well so he left that up to other people.

"Are you idiots ready?" He asked, voice gruff and little too harsh. He saw that Cal had picked out a comedy and felt a twinge of guilt, because of course she knew that they were his favorite. "And Cal, no more dishes. Leave them for Ivy."

Dez gasped dramatically.

"Roro~! You're hoooooome~!" he called, excitedly, dragging Cal out of the kitchen with him. She grabbed the doorway, trying to claw her way back in.

"There's only a few left," she complained, giving Dez a pouty look. His grin only widened, letting her arm fall. Surprised, the girl glanced down, and back up at her brother blankly, surprised he'd given up so easily.

He lunged for her again, this time hoisting her up on his shoulder. Cal kicked and screamed. Dez, entertained by her attempts, flung her onto the couch next to Roland, plopping himself down on the floor at her feet. She gave the back of his head a hearty smack. He rubbed the sore spot, sticking his tongue out at her.

"And here I thought giving you my spot next to Roro would be appreciated. Why don't YOU take the floor then?" he taunted.

Cal let out one of the longest sighs, sinking into the couch as her mind wandered. Her body felt heavy and sore. Glancing over at Roland, she tried to smile faintly, shying to her own side of the couch so he'd have more room. Occasionally, she'd glance at the clock and then the door, chewing lightly on her bottom lip as the time passed.
'Where is she?'