FOLKLORE MEMBER
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
  3. Prestige
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Have you ever wanted to learn a language, but find that language apps do not inspire? Are you not sure where to start outside a class which you can't really afford? Well, have I got news for you. I would like to start a book club where we can read alternate language books, so that we may learn the language that they are in. We can also watch movies and such in these languages (subtitles on in the native language as well so that we can learn how the words are pronounced.)

It is best to start with children's books as they generally have simple language that allows you to be broken in. I have started with "Les Malheurs Des Sophie" for French and am wondering if anyone would like to join me in this so that we can help each other learn the language.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: PavellumPendulum
Hell YES! I've always loved languages and I've always loved teaching languages! I'm fluent in French, so I can help with learning French, but I'd be more than happy to explore other languages in a group setting so I can learn as well :)

Reactions: Moose
Awesome glad to have you on board

Also, am I correct that the title roughly translates to "the misbehavings of Sophie"?

Les Malheurs de Sophie means more or less 'The Misfortunes of Sophie', or even 'The Unhappiness of Sophie'. Malheur comes from mal (bad) + heureux (happiness).

Dang, thank you for the assistance with that. It took me 45 minutes to read the dedication page. Lol

• Bucket of Rainbows
No worries! Language learning is hard! I've been working on learning Spanish on my own and it's been a difficult ride, hahaha.

I took a year of Spanish in high school. Not much of it stuck, I could use a refresher course. Probably gonna go for Spanish next myself, but my current writing project requires french

That's valid! I took a few years of Spanish in university but I've forgotten a lot of it so I'm self-studying now to get back to where I was before. I'd also really like to pick up studying ASL again, but I always had a hard time taking notes in my ASL class so I barely remember anything.

My grandparents are deaf, so I remembered the important parts, "Want" "cookie" "coffee"

• Haha
You could also join a language learning study group on discord. Cave of Linguists is the one I use to learn German and Korean. You get to talk to natives or those who are more advanced. They also have voice chats and events/contests to motivate you to study.
Converting the languages of video games helps as well. And there's plenty of free courses on youtube. I'm currently using youtube to learn German and Korean.

Ooh thank you for your assistance.