Landships [OCC & Signups] (1/5 Landships)

H

HS1342

Original poster
Hello.
Since this is my first commisoned RP here on Iwaku (and the fact that I haven't even introduced myself properly), I've decided to give you a short intoduction of myself.

As you've probably noticed, my username is HS1342. But please, just call me HS.
I'm a GM that migrated from the Cataclysm DDA forum. I know well that it was a forum dedicated to a roguelike game, but the forum also has a small portion dedicated to unrelated roleplaying.
I started my roleplay "career" there, and began several RP's.
Then after some time, the roleplay started to dry out in the forum. That's when I made the decision to migrate here, since other members already had, and I didn't mind going with the flow.

So I hope that I can get to make some decent RP's here, that you players enjoy, and I take pleasure in writing.
I also hope that I'm doing things right. I've read the rules and such, but the forum where I started out didn't have that many rules, so I might be doing things wrong already.

Thanks for reading, now to my first RP. Fresh from my pile of Ideas.

Landships

*Click
"Eh, hello... My name is Armando Rhodes, and today is... eh...
Well, the year I think is 2152. That's a hundred years past the end of civilization!
For this occation, I've decided to record everything I know about... well, things..."

*Cough*
"As my father told me once, the world was different a hundred years ago. There was water covering the entire planet, not just at some underground locations. Eh... The water wasn't that good to drink though, as it just made you thirstier. BUT... you could easily fix that...
There was also many people back then... More than a million! There were large buildings on the surface where you could live, eat and pretty much do everything!
Then the sun started to get larger. Not that much larger, but it got larger... I can't remember if it was because the sun itself got bigger, or it just got closer... But anyway, that's when things got hot on earth.
Water started to turn into steam, things stared to burn, and everything pretty much changed forever.
There was a bunch of bunkers across the world which were deep enough to be a lot cooler than the surface. I don't know if they were built before or after the world started to change, but it became some of the only points decently habitable to us humans.
Eh... well, the heat got a little less intense in the last bunch of years, and many people left the bunkers. I think they wanted to live on the surface again? But things were so dry and hot, that many couldn't treverse the long and empty deserts. So people started to build these Landships using some of the old hulks laying on the surface. Dad told me that those hulks were once something called "boats" which were vehicles meant to travel on water!
Right, so many left the bunkers and built Landships using some of the old servos they had in the bunkers. Now there's a bunch of surface settlements all belonging to different factions. They're always fighting...
OH, and then there's the legend of the oasis! Where there's unlimited water, and lush vegetation! Many have embarked on a quest to find the oasis.
I hope they find it, and share it all... but they'll probably find the oasis and keep it for themselves...
Well, I think that'll do for an anniversary. I miss you dad!"

*Click
*Click
"I see them sir, on that hill!"
"TARGET THEM, AND FIRE OUR MAIN GUNS!"
*BA-DOM-BA-DOM
"Most rounds ricocheted on their hull! No damage!"
"They're turning around! THEY'RE GOING TO GIVE US A BROADSIDE!"
"GIVE THEM EVERYTHING WE HAVE, AND TRY TO EVADE THE VOLLEY!"
*BA-DOM-BA-DOM
*wrrrRRR-PRRRRRRRR

"INEFFECTIVE!"
"INCOMING!"
*Static. The file ends

Plot Summary:
In the year of 2052, the sun started to grow at a rapid rate, engulfing all the planets in the system in a massive heat wave. Scientists were baffled by the event, and couldn't find a a single reason of why this would happen. In a year, the sea level had gone down severely, and heavy rain covered the globe. There was turmoil as all the countries in the world fell, leaving their citizens to fend for themselves.
People sought shelter from the now unforgiving earth, below the surface. Several military bunkers were filled to the brink with fugitives, but not everyone could find room in such a lifesaving place. Humanity was nearly destroyed as all the oceans, all the forests, everything turned to desert.

In the year of 2124, the first humans emerged from an isolated bunker in Europe, only to find the world they once ruled turned to dry sand, and merciless heat. They found it hard to travel around and explore the "new world" with all the hot sand and heat. They took the hull of a now-stranded fishing boat, and mounted some of the old servos that had been stored in the bunkers, successfully creating a walking platform with the help of the also stored solar panels.
Many more bunkers would do the same within the next 20 years.

Now in the year of 2152, some sparse settlements have been established across the globe, using heavy drills to find water in the deeper layers of the earth, or simpy collecting water during the globe-wide seasonal storms.
Many factions seek dominance on the earth, and battles are a common sight between settlements.
There's also the legend of the Oasis, an unlimited source of water, supported by lush vegetation. A true luxuary in these times.

Landships cover the earth, all with their own objectives. Some prey on the lesser ships, and some explore the uncharted remains of the once-great civilizations.

And now YOU enter the picture.

Main Mechanics:
-Combat mechanics will mainly be for Ship to Ship combat, but combat can also take place on ground, or even whilst boarding other ships.
-Combat rolls will be done using a 10-faced dice, where 10-4 means success, and 3-0 means failure. Points will be added or removed by skills and disadvantages/advantages.
-PvP is permitted, and is even beneficial
-Ships will all be custom, and they'll all use the following grid:
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====

CC        
        HAA # R&C      
  > > HMG # # # HAA    
> > HMG # CQ MESS S-BAY HMG < <

|   |   |   |  
There's an explanation on what each symbol/word means in the legend.
-The ship will be handled realisticly. If someone blasts you CC up, you're most likely dead.
-I'll update/process or whatever you may call it, when I'm present.
-Know that most mechanics (such as randomized loot, terrain) will not be mentioned here. But they do exist.

Ready to build your ship, and head out?:
FOR ME TO GET A CHANCE TO START THINGS UP, I'LL ONLY ACCEPT 3 LANDSHIPS AT THE BEGINNING. I'm sorry for that.
ALSO, I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT FINDING A SIMPLE SOLUTION TO THE SHIP-CONSTRUCTION.

First you'll need to build your ship:

Code:
[xtable=skin1|border:1|border-color:#ffffff|bcolor:#00838f|bcenter|450x300]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{td}====={/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}█{/td}
{td}█{/td}
{td}█{/td}
{td}█{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}█{/td}
{td}█{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}|{/td}
{td}|{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
This blob of text up there is the BB code of the standard schematic. I tried to copy and paste the whole thing, but I failed.
So you'll have to copy the text above, go into BB code mode (you know, next to the fullscreen button in the post editor) and paste it in. Then you can go back to rich text, and you're good to go on writing in the components!

A space in the component label means that it requires more than one square. Example: > > HMG. That requires 3 squares.
And the >/< should always point at the main gun.

==That's the line above the schematic. Don't touch it, please.
=Hull. Unchangeable as it contains the batteries, munitions, servos and engines of the ship. You can only get more hull by finding one in the world.
|=Servo leg [Free]. Must be mounted under the hull, and there must atleast be 2 on the schematic.
#=Empty area [25 scrap]. An empty area on the ship wich serves no purpose.
CC=Command center [Free]. Where the captain and his crew can control the ship. THIS IS A BRIDGE IF YOU PUT IT FACING OUTWARDS. OTHERWISE, the ship will rely on radar and coms for the captain to know of the surroundings.. Required
CQ=Crew quarters [Free]. Where the crew lives and rests. Required
R&C=Radar and communications [50 scrap]. Enables long-range communications and radar.
S-BAY=Sickbay [100 scrap]. Where the crew and players can heal.
MESS=Mess hall [100 scrap]. Having a mess hall to feed the crew can greatly improve morale.
HELI=Helipad [100 scrap]. Having a helipad enables you to carry a helicopter. A Helicopter can either be used to scout, or attack. You'll have to get a helicopter somewhere first though...
A I R S T R I P=Airstrip [800 Scrap]. Used to launch airplanes. You'll need a place to store them either on the side, above, or below the airstrip.
HANG=Hangar [200 scrap]. Used to store 1 airplane.
LAA=Light Anti-Air [75 scrap]. Can target aerial targets, and also ground targets with less effectiveness.
AA=Anti-Air [175 scrap]. Same as LAA, but heavier, and more advanced.
HAA=Heavy Anti-Air [300 scrap]. Same as the other AA's, but heavier.
LMG=Light Main Gun [75 scrap]. The main guns can only attack ground targets. But they do that with efficiency.
> MG=Main gun [200 scrap]. Same as the LMG, but heavier
> > HMG=Heavy main gun [400 scrap]. Same as the others, but heavier.

In the beginning you'll be granted 200 scrap. Use it wisely.
On the schematic, the ship points LEFT (<--- FORWARD).

Next you'll need a character. Use the following sheet:

Name:
Appearance:
How did your journey start: [Left the safety of your (generic) settlement/Just emerged from a undiscovered bunker/Other?]
How gained your landship: [Captured it through violence/Built it/Found it]
Your crew consists of: [All friends since childhood/Strangers that joined you in hope of a better life/Other?]
What is you ship named:

All characters get the basic equipment, consisting of a revolver, pocket knife and clothes of your choice. No armor.

And that... should cover most of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== ===== =====

R&C        
      LAA CQ CC LAA      

| |        
Name: Rhodri Kraakman
Appearance: Is a normal height, at 5'11, and is very skinny, he has hazel brown eyes, and keeps his brown hair short to combat the extreme heat. Wears a simple, white t-shirt, denim shorts, hiking flip flops, and an old pair of sunglasses, along with a leather holster for his revolver.
[If captain:] Left a settlement, in search for anything even close to the rumoured oasis
[If captain:] How gained your landship: It had a small crew, so he was able to obtain it through badass espionage
[If captain:]Your crew consists of: A small group of prisoners he rescued from the previous crew.
[If captain:]What is you ship named: "The Cykro" is spaypainted on both sides of the ship, probably from the ex-crew.

P.S. Everyone has permission to join my landship, but I shall limit the total starting crew to 3 members.

Total crew: 1/3

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, I've started the real thread. Link should be up there.

Tips:
-You can get a detailed status report from your Engineer. Ask him about it.
-You can get a map with your persumed location from your first officer.

I'll just join Rhodris' crew of dudes; you can introduce me by having me lost in the desert or some shite. I'm not too picky in the matter.

Name: Duncan Miller
Appearance: A man standing at 5' 10', he has orange hair from what you can tell under the covers that protect his skin.
How did your journey start: Raider assholes attacked the last landship I was aboard and thought they killed everyone. They aren't very perceptive since he was able to sneak away afterwards.
How gained your landship: N/A
Your crew consists of: N/A
What is you ship named: Whatever the hell Rhodri named the damn ship.

With the lack of players, I'm going to guess that this RP wasn't that intersting at all. Maybe too complex aswell.
Going to put that information to good use.

But please, I won't close this RP down. I'll keep things going until the end. Might just simplify things.

Sowwy HS, I can't exactly do such posts on my schedule, and our timezones are so horribly synced that I didn't think me joining would work. Which sucks cause you're one of my favorite GMs from the old site :bawling: