KOORI'S RP ABOUT WUXIA CAFE RIVALRY.

p.s. You're still missing your backstory and philosophy, Brightside.

I know. I've been kicked out of my house all day today cause my brother's an ass. (IE: long story, don't ask)

That's fine, just don't forget to put it in especially if you wanted other players to know something about your character.

--------------------------

UPDATE TIEMZ:

It's later in the morning now. Here is the level of activity in each location:

The Falcon & Pine tea house
Torsty as Tseon Returned after retrieving his fish, shocked at tea being spilt

Ocha as Ping-Lin First to confront Sho, informally challenging Sho to battle

Koori as Aiai Returned with Tseon, busily doing something in the prep room during the showdown

Zypher as Xifeng Ready to get into a fight, but acquiescing to Ping-Lin's orders

Tyler as Sho Li Totally barged into the tea house, made himself tea and berated for poor customer service

My Lovely bakery
Koori as Amira Happily making new pastries for the day after sending out Han Li to do delivery

Spammy as J(anet) Getting a blueberry danish for a customer

Ric as David Buying a blueberry danish from My Lovely.

Arach as Han Li Doing a wedding cake delivery on a hovercycle, may or may not get jumped by local bike gang

Dancing Horse café
Seiji as Gang Li Served coffee and dumplings to the first customer of the day

Vay as Mungfu Attempting a dine & dash

-------------------------

The Incoming Wuxia Battle Statuses:

- Mung Fu (Vay) didn't pay for his coffee and dumpling and Gang Li (Seiji) dislikes customers not paying.
Wuxia Battle Status: Medium

- David (Ric) has asked for a danish, J's (Spammy) happy employee facade is crumbling and it's only morning.
Wuxia Battle Status: Low

- Sho Li (Tyler) broke into the tea house and helped himself, he was caught red-handed in his minor felony crime by Ping-Lin (Ocha) who is now backed up by Xi Feng (Zypher), Master Tseon (Torsty) and Aiai (Koori)
Wuxia Battle Status: HIGH. BONES BE ROLLIN' UP IN THAT JOINT.

-----------------------

Upcoming Events:

Torsty has talked to me previously and is planning on having his character, Tseon, make a trip to mainland China. Since this is a free flow RP, the battles already brewing will play out first before Torsty has his character move offscreen. Those who may wish to accompany or interact more with Torsty must first consult him and then me.

For those staying in Hong Kong, the town-wide festival has started making preparations. It's a big, exciting time for both shops as this is one of the times of years to boost profit. There is a small parade during the festival and all shops are invited to create floats and participate in the parade march. Treat this topic as a looming event.

In amongst this will be the mountain run to the temple to place wishes for a prosperous new business year. This will occur before the town festival. This is the event to continue to flesh out your character, start business takeover conspiracies, start your would-be romances and get in as much wuxia action damage.

D: I'm kinda sad no one's asked about starting a romance with any other players (except Arach).

-----------------------------------

PLAYERS WHOSE TURN IT IS TO POST (GUILT TRIP)

Seiji
Ric
Tyler
Anyone who aren't the last two to post.

Ok, I just need to add my 'Fu'-losiphy, and I'll be done.

Sorry for the radio silence. I meant to get the ball rolling last week, then got a surprise ass-kicking. >_<

*Tries to find her old bio notes.*

I'm going to be making my next post Tuesday, anyone want to do anything in the tea house before Sho Li makes his next move, do it before then.

I believe Seiji, Vay, and I have come to a concensus. Lee will be making his appearance after the Seiji/Vay fight.

You commented on some lack of that wuxia feel.

Proposal:

Modest staffs of comic relief, stake-settting NPCs.

All sides need them. It's like a big genre convention that's missing.

You want that "feuding clans" feel? It won't come with just a few PCs.

It's a staple of wuxia and Asian martial arts stories in general. You've got your major characters(PCs) and the less important( or at least less powerful) people on both sides who end up getting victimised.

Who's going to pick a fight with the rival shop over something stupid, get beaten, then go whining to a superior without telling the whole story in hopes of getting revenge by proxy? Who's going to rush a single PC en masse and get trounced soundly? Who gets killed off for real by a demonstration of a pressure point so that we know just why one PC doesn't want to let the other PC poke her in the nose? Who gets intimidated into poisoning their masters? Who gives the evil foreigners inside information to use against the other clans? Who gushes and claps at the showmanship of the PCs when they finally battle each other? Who does the boring stuff? Who establishes that the PCs are anything special?

I mean, we've had some instances like Zypher's character and the old man, but I think it would serve the plot better if we had a lot of the hapless NPCs be less important employees of the different companies.

I mean, when we were discussing this, I imagined stock scenes of the genre like the two schools having a battle royale while two PCs close in on each other, flinging insults from opposite ends of the battlefield even as they fling aside employees of the rival shop.

Imagine Kung Fu Hustle with no Axe Gang or Pig Sty Alley Tenants. Imagine Fist of Legend if we had no one to contrast against Chen Zhen and Fujita. Imagine Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon without the widower, his daughter, and the nightwatchmen showing us why the average person is no match for the Jade Fox; without the restaurant goers showing us how much of a prodigy Jen/Jiao Long is and why she's so arrogant. Imagine Hero if Sky fought Nameless without the buildup of the other officers' attempts to arrest him or if we didn't have that scene of Broken Sword and Flying Snow going Dynasty Warriors on the royal guards (letting us know just why the king was so afraid of them despite being one of few people shown capable of standing a chance against them in single combat).

"Mooks" and vaguely-defined tiers of combat prowess are a key framing device of the genre. We need it.

--that and I want scenes where my manager imperiously lectures a group of employees about their duties and puts them through ott training sequences.

Proposal 2(less serious): The story goes that our underlings mostly killed each other, and so both shops need to rehire.

"Death in a comedy game, you say?"

It can be done. Rewatch Kung Fu Hustle. :P

I've got more examples that I mentioned yesterday in the c-box, but typing this is a rush job. BBL.

Tegan has inspired me without knowing it. Sheet goes up by Friday. I've got a full day.

Reactions: 1 person
Also, watch Enter the Dragon. It's another great example of this. Not to mention it's a great movie. Actually, Wuxia could be seen as being based off of Enter the Dragon. It's about a family owned Chinese restraunt in Italy that's being muscled by some corporate big-wig. The big-wig first tries to use goons to force them out of business, but then Bruce Lee arrives to get rid of the goons. Then the big-wig hires Chuck Norris to get rid of Bruce Lee, but Bruce comes out on top. Anyways, watch it. It is great! It's has all the things Coffee was talking about: Corporate bullying of mooks using mooks, small business owner so scared he turns on his friends, etc, etc. WATCH IT! (It's been on G4's Movies That Don't Suck recently)

... Actually I meant that a majority of the players including me didn't do their first few posts with enough wuxia flavor-- look at Seiji's first post. He opened up the coffee shop using palm strikes to open the shutters, roundhouses to clean off the dust from counters and such (well not literally, I'm feeling too lazy to look at his post and point out the exact details). That is what I meant by "wuxia action".

8B BUT YOUR SUGGESTIONS ARE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION. <3

You'd already explained about Seiji before, but unsolicited awesome is sort of my thing. :)

You can take me out of the Staff but you can't take the staff out of... Never mind.

[BG="#ce540a"]Name: Ma Yan-Mei
Wuxia Name: Heaven-Dancing Kettle

Employed at: One guess.

Martial Art School: "The Fist and Cupboard School," an eclectic style containing many subsystems, often informally called, "Dancing Horse Style" due to its most well known stance, the Dancing Horse. The founder, an avid practitioner, named the shop to honor the School.

"Practitioners of that style called Fist and Cupboard--which is also called Dancing Horse--are rarely humble people."--Some Ancient Dude Who Probably Got Served Royally By Dancing Horse Style

The "Dancing Horse" is the most basic and distinct posture of FaC style. It is a wide, forward-facing stance resembling a basic "horse stance" save for one detail--"The Gallop."

The Gallop's origins lie in a similar philosophy to those schools who seek to unify the advantages of generating internal power (neijia gong) through dynamic footwork with the advantages of generating internal power through a strong, steady stance.

For others, this means training in two separate styles, but for FaC practitioners, it means The Gallop.

FaC artists are known to spend the first six months of training mastering the Gallop, and it's said that those who take shortcuts pay for it later by being especially vulnerable to tripping.

FaC practitioners using the DH stance appear to merely hop from one leg to the other in imitation of riding a horse. But only a fool would miss the subtle nuance: practitioners must perfectly root their diantian to the ground through one foot for a single instant then switch to the other perfectly and repeat endlessly if needed. The result is supernatural stability hidden beneath something than an unversed opponent may misconstrue as foolish or even mocking.

Practicioners are known for their stance training set to a Huqin rendition of "Apache."

An exhibition of dangerously poor form by Western "McDojos" exploiting public ignorance of Dancing Horse Stylists for a quick dollar. :(
Do not be mislead. Done correctly, it is lethal!

Yan-Mei is also a practitioner of it's "Drunken" sub-system, "Irish Coffee Boxing" also known by its more nationalist-friendly if not exactly family-friendlier name of "Opium and Caffeine Boxing." This subsystem is said to mimic drifting between alternating states of intoxication and hyper-alertness seemingly at random.

Age: She claims to be 71, kept young by secrets taught to her by Mountain Fairies Immortals and antioxidants in Dancing Horse Coffee.

Appearance:
attachment.php

Yan-Mei trying to look respectable.

Biography: Coming from the line of the original founder, Yan-Mei is a co-manager through the hard work of days past and perhaps the teensiest bit of nepotism but mention the latter at your own peril. Yan-mei's disciplined mastery of her own internal energies (neijia gong) seems in contrast to her eccentric behavior and attitudes towards everything else. She's often content to leave the day-to-day duties of a manager to Zhao while she hatches oddball plans to deal with the competition. That said she can still be quite severe and hot-blooded when she feels like it.

Martial Art Philosophy: "When simply aiming to entertain or impress, which ever the flavor you choose, present it well--strong and distinct.

"Now that that's said, I remember, as a child, finding my way into Uncle Horse's cupboard. He would always insist that there was an order to things that must be followed, and while I understand now what he meant, I will never forget the magic of being surrounded all at once by so many kinds of flavors and aromas I never knew existed. I was overwhelmed. After sampling each one, I was bouncing off of the walls.

Oh? I was getting to that.

There's something about reviving that moment in others. The glimmer of impressed hope in the eyes of an ally or confusion incipient in the eyes of an opponent. Like a cupboard full of assorted flavors, overwhelming the senses, so is my kung fu. Paralyze the indecisive. And drive those bold enough to taste them all to exhaustion."

Short Version: "Give them flavor and lots of it! More flavor than their hearts can take! And most importantly, take joy in what you do. If one person needs be hurt, then let the one still standing be happy on their behalf."
[/BG]

... But also because you actually did use that quote as your sig. :B

yeah, I'm having trouble posting.

Largely because I can't figure out the right balance to make Sho Li a threat while still being beatable.

Keep on with that swag you had with all that, "Your tea and customer service suck!" something or other.

UPDATE TIIIIIME

Alright, this is less for the game than about the game. Considering the slapdash feel of my game and that Ocha has talked to me about pulling out I'm going to roll out another Interest Check.

THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE PLAYING:

Do you still want to keep playing in this game?

In it to win it
Tyler Crane

Did it and quit it
Ocha (pulled out for... a reason she gave but I totally forgot right now)

I'm still in it. Just waiting for the Seiji/Vay fight to finish to enter.

I NEED TO KICK ARSE! SCREW NAMES!

Yeah I'm here.

I was dragged away until just now.

I want to play this thing.

yeah, I'm having trouble posting.

Largely because I can't figure out the right balance to make Sho Li a threat while still being beatable.

Short Answer: In wuxia, other than beating up on background extras who are only "kind of skilled" the simplest way to do what your asking is to have your character inadvertently cause a lot of collateral damage and casually avoid or shrug off hazards while focusing single-mindedly on your opponent. Doing things like shattering wood and metal with missed strikes; casually dodging background hazards like traffic or falling debris without losing concentration on your opponent; following them without hesitation when they try to use terrain changes against you and adapting with improbable speed(fighting on an unbalanced surface is a perennial favorite for this).

Another one, almost opposite of the collateral damage method is to have your character demonstrate impractically extreme precision or multitasking ability. Something like catching falling objects and replacing them on stable surfaces in the middle of trying to parry and counter. Which then brings us to another favorite option of mine--the willful handicap. Things like fighting with one hand behind your back or only using your feet or juggling a signature trinket in the middle of fighting. All good ways of showing you're skilled and in contempt of your opponent. "But won't that make me seem unbeatable?" Well, the neat thing is that the character doesn't always have to have an easy time with it, even for the self-imposed challenges, but it can be a good way of giving the opposing character some credit if your character expects to be able to multitask or toy around with a gimmick or self-imposed handicap only to find that they've just met someone who doesn't let it come as easily.

Anyway, I hope that was helpful. :)

I'm definately still in!