Koori's Announcement for the kids (Which is actually someone else's)

K

Kooriryu

Original poster
(via http://nagranowrimo.tumblr.com/post/102376146445/nagranowrimo-faitherinhicks-tweeting-a-little)

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo1_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo2_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo3_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo4_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo5_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo6_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo7_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo8_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo9_1280.png

tumblr_nevzlulnDo1rk9xhvo10_1280.png

And now for actual words from Koori.

Be passionate. Don't be scared if you just really, really dig drawing drawing mushrooms talking to each other on a sunny day next to a pomeranian barking at a cloud. Do it, draw it. Draw it often, draw it in different styles. Explore other people's styles, from Hikari Shimoda's work to James Jean's to Norman Rockwell's. Their voices will help you tune yours. Surround and drown yourself in everything that catches your eye, makes you happy. Because your art style, the thing that so many new and young artists try to develop first will sneak up on you, it won't be found by you.

The industry can be cold and warm. The industry has very specific goals and styles it wants and you need to be mindful of it and not beat yourself up if you don't fit that criteria, the industry is not interested in your tears. But the industry also knows very, very well where you are because everybody in the industry has been there. Reach out to them. They'll welcome you. (If they aren't battling a deadline.)

Be passionate, art doesn't grow without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fist-pumped reading this in my twitter feed the first time, and I fist-pumped reading again just now.

I'm pushing 30 and am only just now starting to work up the guts to do what I love. And though I have many, many fears about it, being too old isn't one of them. Faith Erin Hicks has been making comics since I was a spotty fifteen year old stalking her Demonology 101 updates on LJ. I suspect she wasn't much older than myself, and she is just now starting to really pick up momentum as an indie artist.

It takes time.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kooriryu