Koori Challenge 2: I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going

K

Kooriryu

Original poster
tumblr_mlom06vwIA1s2xab7o1_500.gif

A dawn is blooming. Where is it blooming? Where are you? How did you get here? And what is that?

HARDMODE: No sci-fi.

EDIT: oop, do like Dawn. Write a scenario of any kind that pops up into your head from seeing this .gif.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo, what am I supposed to do? :3

I don't know what you want us to do with this but... I wrote a scene that answers some of your questions and incorporates the title.

One of the first things we were taught while growing up was to stay away from the river in Spring. It wasn't so much of a worry on our mother's minds that we would come home covered in filth because of the muddy banks as it was their constant fear that one of us idiot kids would demand maybe just a little too much from Lady Luck and fall through the thinning ice.

In the Spring, the river water was enough to cause hypothermia, never mind crawling back out into the last gusts of blistering wind left over from the Winter. But God help you if it was your misfortune to get caught up by the current because the chances of living were far slimmer than the chances were that we'd even find you in the first place.

In just my sixteen years, we've lost nine people and only one of the four recovered actually survived.

So why was it that we just couldn't listen to our parents? Instead, Baker, Cody, Tim, and I had decided it would be "totally sweet" if we went down to the river and played a daring game of chance.

"So what are the rules?" Tim inquired, words slightly off-kilter because of the cigarette tucked between chapped lips. A bit of an introvert, I hardly enjoyed these stupid games nor did I like having to leave the warmth of my house, but intentive I forever was, no matter my surroundings, and I often spent my social time listening and watching rather than speaking. As it was, a puff of smoke had billowed out from Tim's mouth and lazily it scaled the morning air. I watched for a moment until grey eyes flitted my way and I quickly glanced down at my feet.

"Pretty simple, actually. Let's see who can walk the furthest out onto the ice without it breaking." My gaze shifted again to give the speaker my attention, this time to Baker. And to be clear, Baker is his last name but he's never been too fond of 'Ashley'. As always, Baker had his hands tucked into the pockets of his plaid jacket and his shoulders were lifted up toward his ears in a clear shrugging sort of display of discomfort in the cold while, with head turned, he gazed out to the middle of the river where the ice had already broken apart. Now there was open water, milky, frothy from the current beating against stubborn ice and as I took a moment to watch this spectacle, a little ball of anxiety hardened in my gut and I caught the faint scent of a nearby farm.

By the time Cody spoke up, my fingertips were tingling, nerves electrically charged with concern for my safety and that of my friends. "Well then let's do this. I'll go first since yer a bunch of pussies." A flash of startling red hair streaked past the left side of my field of vision and I tugged my gaze away from the eerie witch's brew to see Cody full out running along the ice. After a few seconds he took one last step and came to a stop. Not an abrupt stop though. No, he slid for a few more feet like a car drifting around a corner and he made sure to strike a 'cool' pose while he did it.

Laughter filled the open air and Tim muttered, "He's crazy. He's fuckin' crazy," beside me. But one by one we all took turns inching toward the center of the river, toward the cauldron until there was but maybe twenty feet of ice left. We were too close now and not just because the ice felt and looked a hell of a lot thinner there than it had at the bank. There was just something about that roiling water that...beckoned. It sparked curiosity.

How would it feel, aside from the obvious answer? Would I be able to see through it? If so, what would I see? The four of us must have been thinking the same thing because we were all standing very still, staring at the water.

Something moved under the surface. An irregular shadow shifted and I clearly heard three other sharp intakes of air.

Bloop~

Two frosty prongs slowly rose from the water and snow crunched in surround sound as four teenage boys took a wary step backwards. "Hey. Go check it out," Cody hissed at me and his eyes were wide with..fear? Wasn't Cody supposed to be the tough one?

"Why me?!" I growled. Okay, maybe it came out more as a whine than anything, but I was already upset that they'd dragged me out there and now I was being forced to go poke the creepy river beast. With an outstretched arm and a dramatic pointing of an index finger, I said, "Those look like friggin' tentacles and I've seen enough Hentai to know where this is going. No thank you."

A barrage of nervous giggles interrupted the song the river had been singing all week and in its wake was a very awkward silence. "One of us has to do it..." Baker said. After all, it could have been another victim of Mother Nature and the river was just kind enough to spit this one out right at our feet like a cat leaving a dead bird on the back porch.

An irritated sigh out of my nose caused a cloud of mist and I imagined that at that moment I looked like a mighty dragon snorting at a measly little knight. "Fine." My legs were already numb from the cold but with the added fear, I'm sure I was even waddling just like a dragon.

One step.

Two steps.

Closer I drew until I could hear the ice protesting underfoot, sounding like a creaky door in the most haunted of abandoned buildings. I didn't dare go any further and it was a good thing that I was close enough now to get a better look at what had gotten itself caught on the jutted edge of the ice.

Horns. Those were horns and a empty eye socket glared up at me as if I was rudely peeking in through the living room window. What was it? A skull. Horns and an elongated nose like a demon. Oh my god, it was a demon! Holy shit, I was going to die! This thing was going to eat me alive, kicking and screaming, and snorting dragony smoke wasn't going to help me at all!

No wait.

Calm down.

On closer inspection, not without having to lean forward a little and possibly subject myself to a good old fashioned face-mauling, I determined that the bizarre object was indeed...a cow skull.

Relief washed through me. I was really glad it wasn't a tentacle space monster, n-not that I'd been expecting it to be one, or some weird skull demon potentially played by Nic Cage. As I slowly made my way back to safer footing, I once again caught a wif of a farm and wondered if some stupid cow had escaped and drowned in the river at some point. I kind of felt bad for the cow. Sure, it was just a dumb beast but to die like that...

Needless to say, I wasn't going back to the river any time soon.

Last edited: