Knowledge Corrupts {private}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amun had not noticed the pendant yesterday, nor the chain it was connected to. "It's charmed. Not to be seen unless you look for it, and for another purpose - I imagine it's inhibiting your magic, making you feel human," the god said as he looked at the stone. He dared not to touch, in case it absorbed his abilities as well, or shocked him, or, well, both. Amun sat across from her at the small coffee table and looked out the window toward the skyline. This place was calming to him. He was lost in thought for a moment, staring at a bird struggling against the currents of air. It was a baby and it made Amun feel something he had not felt in along time, if ever. It was a feeling that had been brewing in his heart since he brought her home.

A sense of protection and carefulness. He wanted her to be safe, to be on his side, and to have a home. Amun had been chalking it up to him growing soft, but then, this helped him look like a benevolent god, and it satisfied some part of him that now would not shut up. "Marin, did you have any strange dreams?" Amun asked after some time. Sometimes it only took the touch of another supernatural being to make the mind stir, and if she was charmed, then that stirring would come in the form of a dream. If she had had one that was out of sorts, then he would have to start doing research, and try to identify what she was before, as the term was put "all Hell broke loose" and they were left defenseless. Amun, the great god of wind, would never be cause with his pants down..!

Unless he was drunk... and that was only one time!!

Marin's eyebrows drew together and she hummed in thought. She looked out over the skyline, too, still fondling the pendant between her fingers. Marin hadn't seen much of, well, anything. For all she knew, it was just a regular old rock hanging from a delicate chain. Yet, something wanted to believe that Amun was right. Trusting as she was, she'd believe most anything anyway. But the last few hours had just been, unbelievable, by human standards. She brought her attention back suddenly, when he asked her of her dreams.

She had to think about it, but then her eyebrows drew together again. She'd have completely forgotten about her dream had he not asked. But she nodded. "I did," she said. "I don't usually though," she was pretty sure. "There was a woman who looked like me, but I don't think it was me. She looked older, and different... somehow." Marin glanced up at Amun. She was sure that probably didn't make any sense. She was also pretty unsure about how relevant her dream was to, well, anything. To Marin, it was just a weird dream about her future self. The small girl shrugged. "She was worried about something, but I couldn't hear her and then someone was coming, I think, and she disappeared. It really wasn't scary or very abnormal, but there was a huge sense of dread and anxiety." Not to mention, she'd never dreamed of an older her before.

She was sure Amun wouldn't find the dream useful or strange in any way, and probably chalk it up to her current emotions. A conversation about him being caught with his pants down would be more interesting than anything Marin would have to say. But, "Why?" she'd always want to know.

And that was what he was looking for. Leaning back in his chair, Amun ran a hand through his hair. "Because magic works in a cascading flow or sorts. By meeting that demon yesterday, you were touched by magic, and that awakened something in you, which, probably, pulled me into your destiny. Now, you're dreaming of someone, possibly you, possibly a relation to you, that looks upset and scared. It's like rain falling down a slope, it starts slow, then builds up and eventually, you've got a small stream running there and it can be hard to control." Amun looked at her with a serious look, "Did the woman touch you? Did she mouth anything?" Amun needed as much information as he could get. If the woman was a real person, he needed to know if she left any clues in the dream to trace it back to her. Or, if it was just made to look like an older Marin, who was trying to hide their true image.

Marin pursed her lips in questioning thought about the cascade effect, but also because she really didn't have any useful information. "She said something, but I couldn't hear anything," and Marin either hadn't watched her lips, or couldn't remember doing so. Dreams ended up choppy like that. She thought more on what he'd asked. "She did try to reach for me, but then she was looking at something, like something bad was coming." Marin's frown faded and she sighed. She couldn't figure how a dream of her subconscious would tell him/them anything. Still yet, she wanted to know, "Why?" Really. What did it matter? "What is your interest in my dreams, my pendant, and in what I may or may not be, anyway?" Her generally quiet and chiming voice was laced with the smallest trace of irritation, though he may not even be able to detect it.

Amun smiled at the anger. It was good. No one was soft and pretty all the time. His little sister was proof of that. The god looked back toward the window and ignored her question. He moved on to something else, entirely. "So, I brought you down into my bedroom for a reason," he started, pausing to get up and walk over to the window. "This room is protected by a great many charms and curses. If you ever feel threatened or just need a moment alone, just come in here. Elijah and Joel can't come in here, only those who I allow to, can, and I understand coming from having nothing and no one to being surrounded by people. It's frustrating." Amun leaned on the window with one shoulder and looked back at her. "Don't be upset when I say this, Marin, but you're not going to leave my custody until I know you can protect yourself, so, we need train you to use a weapon, and to do a little hand to hand combat, too."

Amun did not like the idea of anyone not being able to defend themselves. He gave everyone amble opportunity to fight, but against him, they were going to lose no matter what. That thought made his stomach grumble. Amun physically shook his head at that and then looked back at her. "Thoughts?" was all he said after that, needing to not think about food.

She only sighed, and didn't pursue an answer when he looked away, obviously ignoring the questions. Marin watched him walk to the window, contemplating what reasons he might have for bringing her into the bedroom. When he continued, it only left Marin wondering how things could be charmed, cursed, or protected from those or with those things. She blinked around the room. No one else could come in here? Yet he was offering the space to her, and making to relate to how she might feel. It was quite nice of him really. But her eyebrows were coming together once again at the idea that he thought she needed to learn to use a weapon. Not only that, hand to hand combat wasn't exactly Marin's thing. She didn't want to hurt anyone, and the last thing she could ever imagine herself doing was physically hitting someone.

Elijah and Joel popped into her mind, and her cheeks reddened slightly as she cast her eyes to the floor. So maybe she was capable, if she thought she needed to be. She only looked up again when Amun was obviously looking for feedback. She didn't really agree, or want to learn to use weapons or to hit anyone properly. But, if he thought it was really necessary, maybe she would try. Marin only nodded ever so slightly. She wouldn't outright say it, but there were things she probably wouldn't even want to be in the same room as, much less touch. Like, guns for instance. Or, daggers. Swords, probably. Anything sharp really. Anything baton-like. Anything that required gun powders or other reactive substances. Marin frowned. It was probably a horrible idea. But either Amun would learn that, or Marin would learn to do something to defend herself.

Watching her face, it was amusing to watch her contemplate. Though, he knew she was counting something as she had moved her fingers every time another thought came to her. Watching her made him laugh. Amun walked back over to her and sat on the coffee table in front of her. Now, he was just going to be a little silly, "What kind of guy turns you on?" Amun honestly wanted to know. Being the kind of creature he was, he wanted to be the one in her fantasies, and he would do everything he could to make it that way, well, except a few things, which were unmanly and would not suit him.

She was still contemplating what a horrible idea it all was when he approached her. Marin watched him sit on the coffee table, blinking owlishly. Then he was asking what kind of guy 'turned her on'. For a moment, she wondered what he meant. He didn't think she was some sort of robot, after all this? Was that his theory? But the gleam in his eye and the fact that he hadn't just said 'person', made Marin realize what Amun had really been prodding for. A deep red crept into Marin's cheeks and she leaned slightly away. Probably her eyebrow was actually twitching this time.

People didn't hang around Marin. She'd never really known a single person. How would she even know what kind of best friend she wanted, much less what she'd like in a ...man. She averted her eyes quickly. She wasn't the type to think about things like those, at least she hadn't before. That was also partly just the Guardian in her though probably. Guardians were solitary creatures to start with. They didn't have relationships, partners, lovers, etc. Guardians were generally emotionless and indifferent, focusing only on their jobs. Babies were something made when necessary, at certain times, using a single Guardian surrogate. Of course, some Guardians would stray from the norm. Then they were killed.

Still, if Marin thought into any of the books she'd read, she still couldn't say what she might actually value in a man. Of course, trust and friendship and all that jazz. But that wasn't what he was asking, was it? Marin suddenly realized that she'd leaned as far away as she possibly could have. Pressing her back into the chair with lapis lazuli eyes searching for the exit. Her cheeks were a shade they may not have been before, and her heart rate had picked up again. "Are, we done here?" she asked in a voice barely over a whisper.

Status
Not open for further replies.