Knights of Dolgrith

T

Tyler of Fiore

Original poster
I once worked on an RP on a NS regional forum that didn't gain enough interest to go anywhere so I just wrote the story and here is part of it...
Knights of Dolgrith: The First Crusade

Part One: The Great Awakening

The smell of horses and blood pierces the air. the sounds of fire,and arrows echo through the cool night air. Mystical whooshing as the spellcasters conjure both attack and defense spells. Your mind tells you to turn and run... but you are no coward.... you trained for this.... It is duty to your race that pushes you forward... towards the sounds of certain death.... as you get closer to the front lines your heart races you prepare to attack. You are so close now you can see them.... It's a chaotic mess..... massive battalions of all three empires meeting on this field to do battle. Their orders? Kill anything that isn't like you.... hundreds of bodies lay piled in the center of the field... Human... Elf... and Dwarve alike. All dead for the sake of their race. But it must be this way... how could you live with ..... them? The Men of mud whom crawled up from the soil to bring their barbarism to the world.... Dwarves... rock creatures who above all valued only wealth... and the elves... the proud race of magical beings their love of nature only rivaled by their love for themselves. No...only one race can have this land.... You find yourself face to face with the enemy when the battlefield goes deathly quiet.. A loud boom followed by screaming.. Mt. Grith looms overhead in the distance. All present on the battlefield are entranced by the mountain... It ruptures in a great fireball sending a shockwave knocking most off their feet.. An eruption?.... NO!.. there are hundreds of creatures rising from the fireball then descending onto the battlefield. As they come more clearly into view chaos breaks out on the battlefield.... for an army of 300+ Dragons are heading right for the battlefield with extreme prejudice to all races. an elf a Human and a Dwarf all Stand together on the battlefield.... two dragons swoop in to block them in..... They must stand together and fight... or die.....

The three stand a moment looking at each other, searching for something they can trust in the strange individuals standing across from them. The elf was the first to react turning his bow on one of the dragon foes, his arrow sends out a scorching blue ice bolt that impales one of the dragons wings causing it to crash to the ground. The Dwarf then hurls his axe in the direction of the other dragon which had rushed to the defense of it's comrade. The dragon mostly dodged the axe but it still caught it on the heel cutting a vital tendon. The combined assault was a surprise to the two beasts and now the odds were more even. The human drew his sword and charged the Dragon that had received the axe wound while the elf distracted it with Ice

arrows. The Dwarf ran to retrieve his axe. The human crawled up the spine of the dragon as it rolled onto it back he struggled to maintain balance but made it to the dragon's belly slashing into it. A fatal wound... the other dragon is quick to run from the group while barking out a loud cry.... a distress signal... the three now turned back to face each other realizing they were once again foes.

The Dragons lifeless body lay twitching on the ground you turn to the others waiting for someone to make a move. A deep voice booms behind them, "Are you gonna stand there trying to kill each other or are you gonna get out of here?" An elder elf is standing looking at the dead dragon rather impressed. "You all make quite the team." Three more Dragons come into view making a quick approach. The old elf turns. "You all got lucky with this one... it won't happen again. If you have any hope of surviving you'll need to work together. There is a stream that runs along the south of the field follow the stream to the west and it'll take you to my cottage. Try and make sure you aren't followed. Once you are inside my home you will be safe... it is enchanted ... not sure if that works on Dragons as it's been thousands of years since one has been seen but it's the best chance you have I'll stay here and fend these off. The group looks at the old elf rather doubtful but they head off as instructed. This man was no ordinary elf for sure... As the group heads away they look back over their shoulders to see the elf summon a colossal ball of ice and hurl it at an oncoming dragon.... Perhaps they would see the elf wizard again after all...

Part 2: Keni

The group walks along the path silently. The cool night breeze brings the cold scent of dead leaves and burning fires. Winter was near in Dolgrith. The elf was the first to speak, "I am called Ervald." The human and the Dwarf look at the elf rather offended that he had broken the silence. The Dwarf then bellows up, "I am Takr Ulnik commander of the Dwarven fifth regimen and second in line to the Dwarven throne." The human chuckles. "Ah Dwarven royalty.. has there ever been a better oxymoron?" The Dwarf drew his axe but the human anticipated the violence and kicked the Dwarves feet out from under him. The human placed his sword at the throat of Takr, "I am Jin son of none, and the best damn sword in the realm." He pulled his sword away from Takr and extended his hand to help the him up. Takr grumbled and refused the offer pulling himself on his feet. "Try that again and you'll

find yourself without a head." Jin laughed and the three continued walking in silence.

They found the small cottage hidden in a grove of trees. As Ervald reached out to touch the door handle they heard it unlock. An enchantment no doubt sensing their friendly intentions. Inside the cottage is a mess of scrolls and books strewn about. The three made their way to the dining area and found themselves sitting at a round table facing each other. "Now we wait." Said Ervald picking up a scroll from the table.

It read:

From the Desk of his Majesty King Meric of the Elves,

To Keni, Grand Wizard of the north:

If what you say is accurate it spells certain doom for the realm. Your service in the crusade of the lost temple of Light has earned you the trust of the Elven Empire. We must act swiftly before the Dwarves lead us all to our doom. My troops are at your disposal. We will push an offensive towards Mt. Grith to try and stop the Dwarves. A push that far North is sure to attract the attention of the humans who a hungry for a big fight. We must stop this tragedy before it happens.

Jin found himself reading a book he found on the ground:

Old tattered book, Page 84

.... Unto the land raged a fire of ten thousand beasts of the mountain. The Lord Kings were slain along with their armies as a roaring flame purged the land. The last temple of the Sages stood before the massive onslaught. In the Temple of Light the Onari unlocked the secrets to taming the beasts of fire and took the first steps to stopping this armageddon. Into the Sacred mountain the heart of the army of flame one brave Onari knight, Ilshar, ventured. He used the sacred gem of Onica to seal the evil deep within the mountain sacrificing his own life force to do so. The Onari were now left with the remaining beast of flame. A new age of "Dragons" dawned upon the land as the tamed beasts lent their magic to the Onari the race began to change in many ways..........

They found themselves no longer alone. The elder elf man stood beside them now peering at the pages Jin was reading. "There are many answers you will find in books but there are some things you can't. I have traveled a great many places to acquire knowledge of power that has led me to live a long life even compared to my elven brethren. I witnessed the last of the Onari... A small cult cut off from the rest of society. They had separated long ago shortly after the Dragon war concluded. They refused to have anything to do with the "New Onari" and the "Demon powers" we possess. We eventually stopped calling ourselves Onari and became elves though I'm not sure exactly when. It was very fitting as we truly were not what we had once been. Eventually the last Onari headed into the mountains and were never heard from until the dwarves appeared. Though they would deny any relation to elves it is most probable. The lands of Dolgrith were abandoned due to the evil locked within the Mt Grith. A group of elves renounced their culture of Magic and nature and headed out into the unexplored northwest region were Humans would come to take shape over the next several hundred years. Now you see? The magic of Dragons tore the race of Onari into 3 different races that now have been called back to the land of Dolgrith by what?..... By destiny.... The Dragons purge of flame will return and the 3 races will be brought back together to defeat them again. Only

together is this possible. The sacrifice of one man saved the realm last time... but we have no "Sacred Gem of Onica" so we must go to the Temple of light and search the ancient texts for an answer.... My name is Keni and I am The Grand Wizard of The North."

Part 3: Into the Forest

Time was of the essence. The three warriors had not gotten much sleep the previous night. The sheer power of the information Keni had given them left their minds whirring all night. They had been there to see with their own eyes the re emergence of the Dragons, and had seen the text that seemed to fit Keni's story. Although there was plenty of reason for doubt the three knew that they were now embroiled in the grandest quest of the era. To turn away from it would be an insult to their race's bravery. Working with the other races however was something that hadn't been done to this point and it was hard to accept that all 3 races were in fact kin to one another. Nevertheless. In one brief night everything they had thought they knew about the world had been turned upside down. All three of them came to peace with their lot and decided they should pursue this quest if for nothing more than to learn more about the Dragon foes they'd inevitably have to face. As they prepared for their journey to the temple of light a raven brought some news. Keni sipped his morning brew and read the scroll aloud.

From the desk of His Majesty King Meric of the Elves.

To Keni, The Grand Wizard

The Dragon armies have pushed all armies away from Mt. Grith. Dwarven armies have retreated back to Elno to begin preparing for a Dragon siege. The Dwarven ranks were decimated by the Dragon onslaught. Little defense remains for Elno and we believe it will fall within the week if the Dwarves do not gain a massive amount of reinforcements. Emperor Ulnik has called in the clans to join the fight but it may take weeks for an agreement is made on how many troops each clan will send and what they will be compensated. If Elno falls we lose our grip on the northern eastern quadrant. It will make resolving this matter much more difficult and prolonged. I am requesting your presence at a special council meeting in Ellesmera.

Keni set the scroll aside and stood reaching for his cloak. As is jumped into his hand he sighed, "It's a 5 day walk to Ellesmera. I had hoped we could head straight for the temple but it seems doing so may trap us behind enemy lines. We can cut though the lost forest to shave off a day. Normally it wouldn't be worth the risk but at a time like this, one more day could make all the difference.

The sun had begun to set by the time they reached the edge of the Lost Forest. "I expect as I am among warriors that you have all marched through the night before yes?" Keni looked over his shoulder at the three warriors. Takr stopped abruptly and threw his axe in a stump. "I am not setting one toe in that forest. We Dwarves are not as eager to die as the elves who wander into the forest." The group now took a real look at the forest before them. It went on for miles, going around it to the north would be the safest path but it would add nearly an entire day to their journey. To go south was much further. They'd have to walk straight through the forest, if they started now they could probably make it out by daylight. The Dwarf

also presented a valid point. Even most elves wouldn't dare venture into the forest at night. It had intense powerful magic that coursed through it and caused visions and delusions. Many went into the forest that never returned and doing so at night made it all the more likely they'd get lost. "So be it master Ulnik." Keni motioned for Jin and Ervald and they followed. Takr paced back and forth as the group walked off towards the Lost forest before finally yanking his axe from the stump and trudging along behind them, "You are all completely insane, but let it not be said that the courage of the Dwarf is inferior." Jin chuckled and clasped Takr on the back when he caught up, "Good thing you decided to come, you provide a vulnerable target so the elves and I can escape." Takr's face turned red as Keni and Ervald chuckled.

They made it into the woods and headed west for many miles, the forest was mystic indeed. Keni seemed to have a large knowledge of the forest as he made his own path and instructed the three to follow his steps exactly. Several hours had passed when they came to a clearing in the forest. A shallow creek ran through the clearing and they stopped to fill their water skins. There was an odd humming in the air, it was unnoticed at first but soon it grew louder and louder. The humming became melodic singing. A beautiful female voice rang through the trees and called to the group. Instinctively they were drawn to the sound even Keni helpless to it's effects. The singing led them down the creek where they discovered a woman sitting beside an old stump.This was no ordinary woman, she had golden hair that seemed to glow and eyes of grey. Within her sharp gaze she held wisdom and knowledge far beyond the world that they knew. It was evident just by her aura that she was not of this world. Keni fell to his knees, "Jekhalia..." the woman put her hand up to motion for silence. She stood and looked over the group rather inquisitively. "Grand Wizard.... we meet again... you have changed much since our last encounter." Keni nodded, "10,000 years ago m'lady" The others shot Keni a look of pure astonishment. "Most mortals don't even get the privilege of one noble quest in their lives.. and here I find you at the helm of a second.... but you know as well as I that this quest will not be yours... but your companions." She smiled and turned to address Jin, "Jin... Bastard of the Lin clan.... loved by none but feared by all." Jin felt his stomach tighten.. Who was this woman.... "Ervald.. heir to the Elven lands of Cooth, you renounced you titles and chose a warriors life because you couldn't win the love of a married woman." Ervald looked at the ground in shame. "And you... Takr Ulnik, second son of Kuris Ulnik, always second to your brother Hirus, except in the battlefield. Yet no matter how many battles you win your brother will still take the throne and serve as your lord."

"you... BITCH" Takr grabs his axe but finds his hand burned as the woman causes the blade to heat. "What you were before is of no significance, for now I will make you what you must become as I once did Keni." She threw back her arms and a great white light enveloped the group, "My name is Jekhalia... Sage of Light... and you... are the pawns of destiny... I lend you my power now to defend the realm from the return of Borak, Sage of Flame. If you should complete this task I shall extend upon you long life and great secrets." The light faded and the three warriors were laid on the ground before the Sage unconscious. She now turned to face Keni, "Grand Wizard... you have served your duty well, you have lived on for nearly 11,000 years... your time has come to join me in the realm of Light my friend. Keni looked back upon Ervald, Jin, and Takr. "What of them m'lady? How can they do this without me?" She smiled and placed her hand on Keni's cheek, "This is not your fight my child. You have served the realm once already... I have provided them with that which they need... just as you did it is time for them to find their own way." Keni nodded "One last thing." He placed his staff on the ground beside Ervald "You are the Grand Wizard now...." Keni sighed and turned to face the sage, "I am ready." In a flash of light they were gone and the forest lay quiet as the three warriors were now alone.

PART IV: Ellesmera

Upon awakening the three warriors discovered Keni was absent, "So the old man and the glowing lady disappeared and all the answers along with them." Takr was obviously irritated by this sudden turn of events. "I can't explain it but I do feel somewhat different." Jin said trying to rub the fog from his brain. Ervald noticed Keni's staff, "Hey look at this.." Ervald reached out and touched the staff and his mind was flooded with visions. They went by quickly almost to quick to track.... a dragon... a temple..... the 7 sages.... Ervald snapped out of it having seen hundreds of things. "You ok?" Jin sat next to Ervald now and placed a hand on Ervalds shoulder. "I think so." Ervald hopped to his feet and attached the staff to his belt. "We better get moving." The three gathered their things and headed back into the forest.. unsure of what lie ahead.

Many hours passed and it seemed as though they were getting nowhere, faint whispers surrounded them... voices of the forest they are called. The elves say if you listen close enough they are whispers of the past present and future and contain great wisdom. Something kept them out of harm's way. Somehow walking through the forest now felt safer. If there was something out there it seemed to be avoiding them now. Finally the three emerged from the forest and were closer to the Elven city of Ellesmera. "Has anyone thought about the fact that Humans and Dwarves don't just walk into an Elven City?" Takr grumbled. Ervald was quick to answer "I know the King personally, we are Kin. I was also Commander of the Kings Armies in Ellesmera once upon a time so I won't have any problems getting us in." Takr seemed satisfied.

As the convoy approached the gates of Ellesmera Jin and Takr couldn't help but marvel at the beauty even from the outside of the city. Three Stone pillars of heavy enchantment stood as the gate of the city. The enchantment would only let pass those who were supposed to be in the city. If you were uninvited you'd have to gain special permission. "Since we have Keni's staff I think we should be good to pass through the main gate." Ervald nodded toward the opening between the left and center pillars. The three proceeded forward towards the pillar. Many passing elves stopped and sneered in the direction of the human and dwarf. A gasp of awe ran through the crowd as the group passed through the enchanted threshold without resistance. Upon entering the city the group was

immediately stopped by a squad of Ellesmerian guard. The leader sat mounted atop a white horse and stood at the very front of the squad. "What business have you?" He barked. "We have been summoned by King Meric." Ervald spoke with ease as if speaking to a subordinate. The lead elf hopped down from his mount his long white locks bouncing as he impacted the ground. Ervald held out the scroll summoning Keni and the white haired elf took it. After browsing it he shoved it back to Ervald, "This scroll summons Keni, Grand Wizard of the north. I met Keni once, you are no Grand Wizard. You are assassins, you killed him and took this scroll and now you want the king!" Ervald grabbed Keni's staff and placed it at the throat of the elf causing his soldiers to scramble from their mounts

drawing their weapons. "Stop!" The lead elf instructed them putting his hand up. Ervald began to chuckle, "You know as well as I do that the enchantment protecting this city would not let us through if we had ill intent towards our king or if we had obtained this scroll unlawfully. We are here because this is where we are meant to be, and I grow tired of you unnecessary display of authority Captain Levesque." A look of recognition came to the Captains face and he chuckled. "Commander Winson, I thought you looked familiar... forgive me as it has been close to a century." Ervald returned the staff to its place on his back, "You know just as well as I that I no longer hold the rank of commander." Levesque laughed placing his arm around Ervald, "After the success of your armies in the Nordisk revolt, you will always have the rank of commander to officers of this army, your strategies made it into the grand library! You must explain though sir... why the half breeds?" Ervald looked back towards Jin and Takr whom were eyeballing him impatiently. "Our realm is at great risk captain, I do not yet know fully what role myself and the two men with me play, but I have elected to pursue this quest due to the potent magic that surrounds them. At first it was Keni that I found intriguing but he disappeared after an encounter with a sage... after that encounter I have sensed an incredible amount of magic surrounding those to and even my own magical energy seems to have increased tenfold. If the sages are appearing after thousands of years it can only mean that a large threat to the realm is present, I presume you've heard stories of what took place just south of Elno?" Levesque nodded... "Dragons.... I trust you commander but I do not trust your companions, I will escort you to the king." Ervald nodded turning back toward Jin and Takr. "Fair enough Captain."

They had arrived in the Kings camp. After having to retell the story and show the scrolls several times they were ushered into a tent to await the king. After about 45 minutes two knights and a sorcerer entered the room. The sorcerer mumbled an enchantment as his eyes darted from to each of the three men. He then turned back towards the entrance and nodded. A bulky man in armor entered the room. He had a obvious look of nobility to him. He was rugged, a tired man whom had spent many years serving his people. Grey streaks had began to appear in his hair as he was at least 600 years of age. The equivalent of mid fifties to a human. His eyes were grey and attested to the fact the man had seen centuries of events both horrific and glorifying. There was no doubt that they

now stood in the presence of the man they had come so far to meet. Ervald bowed deeply, "Your majesty." Meric nodded and Ervald stood up straight. The King seemed to study Ervald for a moment then a smile came to his face as he laughed and embraced Ervald, "It is good to see you alive and breathing. I'd heard your request to be moved to the front lines had been approved some time back and then the slaughter of the armies near Elno, I truly believed you dead cousin." The King released him and now addressed the group, "There have been very few times in my life that I have stood in the presence of both a human and a dwarf, and unfortunately in those circumstances I was judging them for war crimes. I am King Meric of the elves and I now extend to you the hospitality of my court.

I have been updated on your story and it saddens me deeply to learn of Keni's passing. He surely would've been a great asset to us in dealing with the task ahead. The dragons are preparing to take Elno, we had hoped that Keni would aid us in repelling their attack but with his departure I truly realize how little time we have. I will lead the armies north to aid in the defense of the Dwarven City. However I will be sending you three with Captain Levesque and his team to go to the temple of light. There you must uncover the secrets of the Dragons and summon the Sage of Light once again. I believe that when you encountered the light sage she bestowed upon each of you great power. I can sense it radiating from all of you now. When you go to the temple and summon her she will give

you answers as to the purpose of your quest and how to complete it. Of course this is just based off of my knowledge of Keni's quest so long ago. Until you depart anything we can provide you with we are more than happy to. I have much to do to prepare for the march, I regret that I cannot stay longer." Ervald bowed and King Meric turned and departed.

V. The Encounter

Jin shivered in the cool morning air as the group of eight trudged through the countryside. It would've been a four day ride to the temple if they hadn't elected to ride all night on the first night. They did have to stop to rest the horses occasionally but they had made good time. Captain Levesque rode at the point of the convoy, his four subordinates rode in a square formation and Jin, Takr, and Ervald rode in the center. Takr had protested briefly about needing protection but just as his protests to getting on a horse, he eventually fell silent minus a grumble here and there. Kira, one of the elven guards, had taken much pleasure in teasing Takr about being a Dwarf. He didn't seem to get too enraged at it as she was very beautiful. A heavenly sculpted face with the signature elvish pointy ears partially hid behind long black raven hair. Her grey eyes penetrated your very mind. Most elven women held such beauty but Kira was truly a gem even among elves. Bor was the second in command to Levesque, he was a young elf barely a century. What he lacked in age he made up for in pure intelligence. Just by listening to Bor speak about the nature of magic and strategies of battle made it clear he was destined for high service to the Elven Empire. Sima was the final companion. Sima was a model soldier, he had served the Empire for most of his 400 year life and always followed orders. His lack of magical ability had kept him as a low ranking soldier but he never spoke ill of his position and seemed perfectly content.

As the sun climbed higher into the sky the chill was replaced with dull warmth and the horses picked up the pace. The Second day dragged by as sleep creeped into their minds. As the sun began to set Levesque announced that he'd start looking for a campsite. Not long after he ordered the group to halt and they brought their horses to a screeching halt. Levesque looked concerned, "There's a camp being set up about a mile ahead see the smoke?" He pointed to an obscure plume on the horizon. Jin directed his horse up next to Levesque, "They're human, probably a retreating party. I'll go up and scout them." "I'll go with you" Offered Ervald. "Humans are not as hospitable as elves, one sight of you will be an arrow through both of our asses." Jin laughed. Ervald nodded in agreement and Jin road of towards the smoke.

---

As Jin walked up the path towards the camp he found it far smaller than what he'd pictured. Upon entering the camp Jin laid eyes on the mangled soldiers. Jin knew what the orders had been, no retreat under any circumstances. There was no doubt in his mind that many of his comrades had not retreated in the face of the Dragons. "Fools..." he muttered to himself. A hand grabbed Jin from behind. Jin quickly threw back his elbow into the abdomen of the attacker and turned to face him drawing his sword. He turned to face a bulky man who was scrambling for breath. "Why you!!.." He grumbled reaching for his weapon. Jin began laughing hysterically. "Draw that sword and know you'll be slaughtered by the bane of Ratcliffe!" The man drew his sword grinning. "You'd best hope you are!" he charged forth with hectic fury but he was doomed from the start, Jin easily parried the strongarmy blow and caught the assaulters wrist with his own blade removing his hand. The attacker screamed in pain and fell to the ground. Several other soldiers had gathered now and all drew their swords. "Enough!" A loud voice came from behind the men. A gruff old man in armor emerged and the mean all sheathed their weapons and stood at attention. "You sir, are presumed dead." The man said addressing Jin with his eyes pointed down. "Not yet... I acquired the help of the most unlikely of creatures in escaping." Jin now waved a hand towards the command tent, "Let us speak more privately Commander."

---

The sun had disappeared completely before Jin returned. He'd brought four more companions with him. "They wish to help our cause, what remains of the Maa Kulta armies are retreating back to defend Norsin. These five were assigned to my command after I spoke to their commanding officer about our situation." Jin explained. "And they just let you take five men?" Levesque asked suspiciously. "3/4 of Maa Kultas armies were wiped out by the Dragons. Upon the appearance of Dragons Dwarves and elves were immediately ordered into a retreat. We were ordered to not retreat under any circumstances the camp I just encountered retreats illegally and would be facing death penalties upon their return." Jin sighed. "Even you?" Ervald asked. Jin nodded grimly. "Well we best get some sleep we still have a long way to go." Levesque said stretching. Murmurs of agreement came from the others and soon they rested.

Last edited by a moderator: