Kingdom of Graves [Idea & Erode]

• HP: 4/11
    AC: 18
    Channel Divinity: 0/1
    1st Level Spells: 4/4
    2nd Level Spells: 1/2
    "Just make sure you kill em," Sulain called out as the winged woman eagerly ran off into battle again. Her blades seemed to have been sharpened after her brush with death, slicing one apart before heavily damaging the other. That was good. Infirus ensured that more did not join in on the sternward fray, the princeling was doing a remarkable job not dying, and the winged one herself was slowly but certainly reducing the numbers of the undead still shambling aboard. 5 more to go. They would have to rethink their plans aboard the continent if this amount of undead alone was already enough to drive them to the brink, but it was fine. So long as they weren't dead, they wouldn't become undead.

She calculated the distances, drew herself back a bit further, and pulled back her crossbow. The ship continued to sway. The waves continued to froth. Her knees bent, adjusting her posture on this uneven battlefield. Her shoulders stilled, even as pain continued to throb from the injuries that refused to be congealed. Sulain narrowed her eyes, held her breath, imagined her target as the face of the parasite, and pulled the trigger.

The bolt flew straight into its left eye socket and out the back of its head.

Four more to go.

Sulain shoots PC11, dealing 10 Piercing damage. PC11 dies.
    Sulain has moved to J13NE.

• HP: 8/27
    AC: 17
    Ki: 0/3
    "No gratitude towards me holding them off while you were out?" Atano grinned, his hand snapping out to redirect one rusted blade into another. He stepped back, assessing the situation once more...just in time to see Hope receive another array of grisly injuries. It made sense, of course. Potions weren't so potent that they'd instantly recuperate all wounds incurred in combat, but it was still a stark reminder of the fragility of his allies. None but himself could reorganize the internal workings of their bodies to accommodate for their wounds. They couldn't reshape their broken bones and they couldn't reroute their damaged blood vessels. But he too, couldn't count himself as an individual capable of slaying a horde of zombies while evading all harm in the process.

So once again, he gambled.

Swaying to the left, then to the right, Atano dodged two swings of the scimitar as he slipped away from the two zombies currently targeting him. With swiftness and flexibility possible only when gifted with an ever-shifting body, the monk spun into range of one that still clashed blades with Hope, his hands shifting into tiger claws as he ripped into its spine. It retaliated, chopping at him with a backhand swing, but Atano had already backflipped away, dodging a third blow, before stepping in, hands up and ready to take all its attention away.

But his eyes were on Hope. Bleeding, miserably fatigued, knocking-on-death's-door Hope.

"See you later," Atano winked.

Atano triggers Opportunity Attacks from PC4, 5, and 12.
    Atano deals 15 Slashing damage (two hits) to PC12.
    Atano has moved to J9NW.

• -Interacting With: @ERode (Atano)
    -Mentions: N/A
    -May Also Want to Read: N/A

Pirate Corpse 4: Moves to H9 SW
    Pirate Corpse 5: Moves to I9 NE
    Pirate Corpses 4 and 5 Attack Hope, Miss.
    Hope: Attacks Pirate Corpse 12, Misses
    Hope: Attacks Pirate Corpse 12, Deals 7 Damage

Hope

Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Armor Class: 16
    Hit Points: 1 / 21 | Hit Dice: 2d10+1d8 / 2d10+1d8
    Initiative: +4 | Speed: 30 Ft / 30 Ft (Flying)
    Passive Perception: -2 | SpellCasting Ability: N/A
    Spellsave DC: N/A | Spell Attack Bonus: N/A
    Blood Maledict Uses Left: 1/1

Atano seemed to have his complaints about my gratitude, but right now…

"I do decl-" I dodged an incoming blade. "I do declara-" I ducked and attempted to stab another undead in sequence, but failed once more "do declareth tha-"

A crossbow bolt zoomed right past me, knocking off a couple of feathers from my wings before it went right through one of the undead I was trading blows with. They weren't letting me get even a word in edgewise! Furrowing my eyebrows I spun in place, pushing aside another weapon then cutting into another undead and slicing through it's already quite damaged sides, leaving the corpse open to pour out some of its remaining inner contents, or the remains of it. With my remaining strength, I used the blade to push the undead's body to stumble slightly backwards and give me a moment of a breather among my panting.

"We shalt... speaketh... of these matters... at a later time..." I declared, exasperated. I nearly found myself slipping in my own blood on the wooden boards of the ship. My arms were trembling. I'd fallen once today. I would do everything in my power to ensure it didn't happen a second time.

Suddenly, I felt a warm light embracing me. I looked down, seeing what could be described as a layer of semi-transparent grey light around my body, contorting slightly above my skin and attire.

Skills
    Saving Throws:
    Strength: 0
    Dexterity: +6
    Constitution: 0
    Intelligence: +6
    Wisdom: -2
    Charisma: -2

Skills:
    Acrobatics: +6
    Animal Handling: -2
    Arcana: +4
    Athletics: 0
    Deception: -2
    History: +4
    Insight: -2
    Intimidation: -2
    Investigation: +8
    Medicine: -2
    Nature: +4
    Perception: -2
    Performance: -2
    Persuasion: 0
    Religion: +4
    Sleight of Hand: +6
    Stealth: +8
    Survival: 0
    Spells
    1st Level
    *Detect Magic (Ritual Only) (Pseudo-Celestial)
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Studded Leather (45 GP)
    *Short-Sword x2 (20 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    5 GP
    1 SP
    6 CP

Carrying:
    *Dagger x2 (4 GP)
    *Spear (1 GP)
    *Thieve's Tools (25 GP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Rations x10 (5 GP)
    *Bedroll (1 GP)
    *Candle x5 (5 CP)
    *Torch x5 (5 CP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Tinderbox (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:
    *Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 90 feet of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

*Nimble Flight: Thanks to your wings, you have a flying speed equal to your walking speed. When you fall, you can use your reaction to make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 10) to stop falling and fly in place until the start of your next turn.

*Magic Sight: Your keen senses can focus to see the presence of magic. You gain the ability to cast the Detect Magic spell, but only as a ritual. Your spellcasting ability for this spell is your choice of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. You can also cast this spell normally with any spell slots you have.

*Hunter's Bane: Beginning at 1st level, you have survived the Hunter's Bane, a dangerous, long-guarded ritual that alters your life's blood, forever binding you to the darkness and honing your senses against it. You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track fey, fiends, or undead, as well as on Intelligence ability checks to recall information about them.

The Hunter's Bane also empowers your body to control and shape hemocraft magic, using your own blood and life essence to fuel your abilities. Some of your features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Hemocraft save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier.

*Two Weapon Fighting: When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

*Thieve's Cant: During your rogue training you learned thieves' cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. Only another creature that knows thieves' cant understands such messages. It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly.

In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves' guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.

*Semblance of Legend: For one reason or another, your behavior, magic, skills or simply your appearance resemble those of a commonly known figure or species that holds deep significance for people. Depending on what you look like, you may be more likely to receive trust, shelter or your lead could be taken more readily, at a first impression, or perhaps you inspire fear or reverence instead. While this first impression may hold significant sway, remember that your behavior and capabilities afterwards may shift that impression. (In this case, she resembles an angel)

Extra Actions:
    *Sneak Attack Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.

*Blood Curse of Exposure: When a creature you can see within 30 feet is hit with an attack or spell, you can use your reaction to temporarily weaken their resilience against it. Until the end of the turn, the target loses their resistance to the damage types of the triggering attack or spell.

Amplify. The target instead loses invulnerability to the damage types of the triggering attack or spell, having resistance to them until the end of the turn. (hile invoking a blood curse, but before it affects the target, you can choose to amplify the curse by losing a number of hit points equal to one roll of your hemocraft die, as shown in the Hemocraft Die column of the Blood Hunter table.)

*Crimson Rite: At 2nd level, you learn to invoke a rite of hemocraft within your weapon at the cost of your own vitality. Choose one rite from the Primal Rites list below to learn.

As a bonus action, you activate a crimson rite on a single weapon with the elemental energy of a known rite of your choice that lasts until you finish a short or long rest, or if you aren't holding the weapon at the end of your turn. When you activate a rite, you lose a number of hit points equal to one roll of your hemocraft die, as shown in the Hemocraft Die column of the Blood Hunter table.

While active, attacks from this weapon deal an additional 1d4 damage of the chosen rite's type. This damage is magical, and increases as you gain levels as a blood hunter, as shown in the Hemocraft Die column of the Blood Hunter table. A weapon can only hold a single active rite at a time.

You learn an additional Primal Rite of your choice at 7th level, and choose an Esoteric Rite to learn at 14th level. (Chosen: Rite of the Flame)
  • -Interacting With: N/A

Infirus: Drops Shield
    Infirus: Attacks Pirate Corpse 1, Deals 8 Damage (Pirate Corpse 1 Dies)
    Infirus: Moves to I12 NW
    Infirus: Casts Shield of Faith on Hope

Infirus Silversap

Hit Points: 17/17 | Hit Dice: 2d10+1d6 / 2d10+1d6
    Initiative: -1 | Speed: 30ft
    Passive Perception: 11 | Spellcasting Ability: Cha/Wiz
    Spellsave DC: 14 / 14 | Spell Attack Bonus: +6 / +6
    Healing Hands Uses Left: 1/1
    Radiant Consumption Uses Left: 1/1
    Divine Senses Uses Left: 5/5
    Lay On Hands Hitpoints Left: 10/10
    Arcane Recovery Uses Left: 1/1

1st Level Spell Slots: 1/3

Time after time, steel hit rusted steel, be it swords or sword and shield. At last an opportunity presented itself with a push from my shield momentarily causing the creature to stumble back. It was a gamble, but I allowed the shield to fly off my hand with the momentum, then used that hand to help me lift my sword above the undead's head. It had been previously distracted by the motion of the shield, and as such it was too late to notice the longsword about to cleave vertically right through it's skull and onto the spine and ribcage (or what was left of it), breaking off the head from the torso in one swift and heavy motion.

"It is done, but what of the others?" I turned around as fast as I could, pushing the remains of the corpse away from my sword with my boot. Hearing the gooey fleshy bits slither off was honestly a disgusting thing. The other side of the battlefield was quite worrisome, however. Despite Sulain's aid, Hope was once again injured and on the brink of death. Sulain was under attack as the undead had dispersed from Atano, who still seemed to be doing fairly well for himself, and fortunately most of the undead had perished it would appear. If we were to have any hope (or credibility) as we fought on the fallen kingdom, then we couldn't loose one of our own already, there was no time to pick up the shield.

I ran as I could muster, positioning myself near Sulain to potentially protect her if it came down to it. Runic markings began to appear in my gauntlet as a bubble of grey light enveloped it.

"Försil, avert the gaze of the abyss from us, build the shield we shall carry to protect all!" As I finished, the bubble in my hands dispersed into a flash of bright light, and I saw as a faint aura appeared around Hope's skin.

Skills
    Saving Throws:
    Strength: +2
    Dexterity: -1
    Intelligence: +4
    Wisdom: +3
    Charisma: +4

Skills:
    Acrobatics: -1
    Animal Handling: +1
    Athletics: +4
    Deception:
    Insight: +3
    Intimidation: +6
    Investigation: +4
    Medicine: +1
    Perception: +1
    Performance: +4
    Persuasion: +4
    Sleight of Hand: -1
    Stealth: -1
    Survival: +1
    Spells
    Cantrip
    *Light (Aasimar)
    *Toll the Dead (Wizard)
    *Prestidigitation (Wizard)
    *Mage Hand (Wizard)

First Level
    *Find Familiar (Ritual) (Wizard) [Prepared]
    *Comprehend Languages (Ritual) (Wizard) [Prepared]
    *Healing Elixir (Wizard) [Prepared]
    *Silent Image (Wizard) [Prepared]
    *Puppet (Wizard) [Prepared]
    *Compelled Duel (Paladin)
    *Bless (Paladin)
    *Command (Paladin)
    *Shield of Faith (Paladin)
    *Protection From Evil and Good (Paladin)
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Long-Sword (15 GP)
    *Cursed Plate Armor (Reflavored Ring Mail) (30 GP)
    *Shield (10 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    7 GP
    4 SP
    2 CP

Carrying:
    *Spear x2 (2 GP)
    *Spellbook (50 GP)
    *Amulet (5 GP)
    *Crystal (10 GP)
    *Mess Kit (2 SP)
    *Robes (1 GP)
    *Hammer (1 GP)
    *Candle x10 (1 SP)
    *Rations x21 (10 GP | 5 SP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Chalk x4 (4 CP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Healer's Kit (5 GP)
    *Common Clothes (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:
    *Darkvision: Blessed with a radiant soul, your vision can easily cut through darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

*Celestial Radiance: You have resistance to necrotic damage and radiant damage.

*Military Rank: You have a military rank from your career as a soldier. Soldiers loyal to your former military organization still recognize your authority and influence, and they defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You can invoke your rank to exert influence over other soldiers and requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. You can also usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where your rank is recognized.

Extra Actions:
    *Healing Hands: As an action, you can touch a creature and cause it to regain a number of hit points equal to your level. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

*Radiant Consumption: Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing a searing light to radiate from you, pour out of your eyes and mouth, and threaten to char you.
    Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet, and at the end of each of your turns, you and each creature within 10 feet of you take radiant damage equal to half your level (rounded up). In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.
    Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

*Divine Sense: The presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the Hallow spell.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

*Lay on Hands: Your blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level x 5.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

This feature has no effect on undead and constructs.

*Interception: When a creature you can see hits a target, other than you, within 5 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 1d10 + your proficiency bonus (to a minimum of 0 damage). You must be wielding a shield or a simple or martial weapon to use this reaction.

*Divine Smite: Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend, to a maximum of 6d8.

*Arcane Recovery: You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

For example, if you're a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.

GM Post

• Around the front of the ship, the mists were growing deeper at a much faster pace than before. Already the utmost front of the ship was hard to see, the sun was beginning to be covered, casting shadows interspersed with small gaps of sunlight.

"The defense is now fully in your hands!" Warned Martell, before stepping even closer to the captain. "Stay close to me."

Martell closed his eyes, back to back with the captain who seemed rather apprehensive about the entire situation, dreading what might happen now. Martell raised his arms midway, and opened his palms upwards, chanting the rites. Strings of grey light began to gather around him, seemingly pulled out of the ether and dragged by some invisible force to his feet. A glowing circle began to form around his and the captain's feet, and a transparent field, noted only by the glowing runic symbols on it, began to raise from the circle up to his knees...

Meawhile in the deck of the ship, an almost-dead undead struck at Atano again, seeing the monk as the greatest threat while its ex-pirate companions were dealing with Hope. Its rusted blade seemed to almost accompany the mists enveloping the ship if seen from a profile, but once again he managed to evade the blow.

Positions (each square has four positions of dimensions 5 by 5 [the square itself has is 10 by 10], NW (Northwest) NE (Northeast) SW (Southwest) and SE (Southeast), each position can have 1 creature)
-Pirate Corpse 1: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 2: In the water
-Pirate Corpse 3: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 4: H9 SW
-Pirate Corpse 5: I9 NE
-Pirate Corpse 6: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 7: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 8: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 9: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 10: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 11: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 12: I9 SW
-Martell: H15 SE
-Captain: H15 NE
-Sulain: J13 NE
-Atano: J9 NW
-Hope: I9 NW
-Infirus: I12 NW

Actions
Pirate Corpse 12 Attacks Atano, Misses

Last edited:

The ringing of steel, the cracking of bone, and the footsteps beside her. Infirus was done. Sulain spared a glance in his direction and spotted the mist that was building up at the bow of the ship as well. They were running out of time. "Best to join the kids and clean up," she said, pulling back the crossbow's string and slotting in another bolt. "I've survived worse than just some cut-up shoulders."

She drew in a breath, held it, and pulled the trigger. Within the breadth of a blink, a bolt shattered the skull of another undead pirate, splattering their rotten brain against the deck. Two more to go. White fog escaped the cleric's mouth as she exhaled, feeling her body cool down with the change in environment, both physical and spiritual.
    Sulain shoots PC12, dealing 9 Piercing damage. PC12 dies.

• HP: 8/27
    Atano twisted his head to the side, right as the gore from within the zombie's head burst out. That pale lady was really getting into her groove, wasn't she? Had thought her as another of those psychotic melee fighter, but it seemed that her aim with more skillful weapons wasn't too shabby either. Hope, on the other hand?

The bloodloss was getting to her. It was by force of will and a dash of miracle that she hadn't slipped and been stabbed to death again. Even at a distance, he could hear her breathing become erratic. But the paladin in the corner had moved out of his corner, and there were only two hostiles left. Some way or the other, this group had made it. Killed everything on board while keeping everyone's guts intact. "Just a little longer, darling," Atano sang, his feet sliding against the blood-slicked deck as he engaged with the remaining undead. "Let's finish strong here!"

Closing the distance, the monk spun out with his foot, leaving a groove in the ground as he sliced the legs off the pirate with a low kick before twisting his body outwards and delivering a body blow that promptly exploded the poor creation. Their bones detached, tumbling away onto the deck, while the viscera...

"Ick. Shouldn't have done that."

...practically coated one side of his outfit.
    Atano deals 5 Slashing, 13 Bludgeoning to PC5. PC5 dies.
    Atano has moved to H10SE.

-Mentions: @ERode

Hope: Attacks Pirate Corpse 4, Deals 6 Damage
    Hope: Attacks Pirate Corpse 4, Deals 8 Damage

Hope

Proficiency Bonus: +2 | Armor Class: 16 (+2)
    Hit Points: 6 / 21 | Hit Dice: 2d10+1d8 / 2d10+1d8

The two undead I was combating found themselves destroyed by Atano and Sulain in the blink of an eye right as I readied my next swing. I stared for a moment, trying to register the fact that two of those foes had just been removed, almost feeling an impulse to swing at the air, but I knew there was still one behind. I quickly turned around and practically threw my sword away with how hard I thrusted it against the undead's chest, who only managed to push it a little down with its attempt at deflecting my strike.

"Rrrgah!" I pushed the sword in the undead's abdomen down, pulling it down but mostly myself to the side with a slide flap of one of my wings. I spun and spotted on the undead's side, finishing by lopping off the creature's arm with a downward slash. With heavy breaths, I took the chance to step a bit back and ready my stance while the thing recomposed itself.

Skills
    Saving Throws:

Skills:
    Spells
    1st Level
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Studded Leather (45 GP)
    *Short-Sword x2 (20 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    5 GP
    1 SP
    6 CP

Carrying:
    *Dagger x2 (4 GP)
    *Spear (1 GP)
    *Thieve's Tools (25 GP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Rations x10 (5 GP)
    *Bedroll (1 GP)
    *Candle x5 (5 CP)
    *Torch x5 (5 CP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Tinderbox (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:
    *Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 90 feet of you as if it were bright light and in darkness as if it were dim light.

*Nimble Flight: Thanks to your wings, you have a flying speed equal to your walking speed. When you fall, you can use your reaction to make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 10) to stop falling and fly in place until the start of your next turn.

*Magic Sight: Your keen senses can focus to see the presence of magic. You gain the ability to cast the Detect Magic spell, but only as a ritual. Your spellcasting ability for this spell is your choice of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma. You can also cast this spell normally with any spell slots you have.

*Hunter's Bane: Beginning at 1st level, you have survived the Hunter's Bane, a dangerous, long-guarded ritual that alters your life's blood, forever binding you to the darkness and honing your senses against it. You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track fey, fiends, or undead, as well as on Intelligence ability checks to recall information about them.

The Hunter's Bane also empowers your body to control and shape hemocraft magic, using your own blood and life essence to fuel your abilities. Some of your features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

*Two Weapon Fighting: When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

*Thieve's Cant: During your rogue training you learned thieves' cant, a secret mix of dialect, jargon, and code that allows you to hide messages in seemingly normal conversation. Only another creature that knows thieves' cant understands such messages. It takes four times longer to convey such a message than it does to speak the same idea plainly.

In addition, you understand a set of secret signs and symbols used to convey short, simple messages, such as whether an area is dangerous or the territory of a thieves' guild, whether loot is nearby, or whether the people in an area are easy marks or will provide a safe house for thieves on the run.

*Semblance of Legend: For one reason or another, your behavior, magic, skills or simply your appearance resemble those of a commonly known figure or species that holds deep significance for people. Depending on what you look like, you may be more likely to receive trust, shelter or your lead could be taken more readily, at a first impression, or perhaps you inspire fear or reverence instead. While this first impression may hold significant sway, remember that your behavior and capabilities afterwards may shift that impression. (In this case, she resembles an angel)

Extra Actions:
    *Sneak Attack Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe's distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this class, as shown in the Sneak Attack column of the Rogue table.

*Blood Curse of Exposure: When a creature you can see within 30 feet is hit with an attack or spell, you can use your reaction to temporarily weaken their resilience against it. Until the end of the turn, the target loses their resistance to the damage types of the triggering attack or spell.

Amplify. The target instead loses invulnerability to the damage types of the triggering attack or spell, having resistance to them until the end of the turn. (hile invoking a blood curse, but before it affects the target, you can choose to amplify the curse by losing a number of hit points equal to one roll of your hemocraft die, as shown in the Hemocraft Die column of the Blood Hunter table.)

*Crimson Rite: At 2nd level, you learn to invoke a rite of hemocraft within your weapon at the cost of your own vitality. Choose one rite from the Primal Rites list below to learn.

As a bonus action, you activate a crimson rite on a single weapon with the elemental energy of a known rite of your choice that lasts until you finish a short or long rest, or if you aren't holding the weapon at the end of your turn. When you activate a rite, you lose a number of hit points equal to one roll of your hemocraft die, as shown in the Hemocraft Die column of the Blood Hunter table.

While active, attacks from this weapon deal an additional 1d4 damage of the chosen rite's type. This damage is magical, and increases as you gain levels as a blood hunter, as shown in the Hemocraft Die column of the Blood Hunter table. A weapon can only hold a single active rite at a time.

You learn an additional Primal Rite of your choice at 7th level, and choose an Esoteric Rite to learn at 14th level. (Chosen: Rite of the Flame)
  • -Interacting With: @ERode (Sulain)

Infirus: Moves to I9 NE
    Infirus: Uses 5 Points from Lay on Hands on Hope

Infirus Silversap

Healing Hands Uses Left: 1/1
    Lay On Hands Hitpoints Left: 5/10

I nodded at Sulain's words.

"Understood. I'll go ahead then." This left me with two possible paths, however: From where I was, I could reach the undead and attempt to strike at it with my blade… but the wavering of the ship had proven to be a difficulty in such endeavors, and even though I provided Hope some additional protection it wasn't without any gaps. "I ought not to forsake the people that needed my protection simply to chase the enemy!"

Not again.

This left me with a single path: To go to Hope's side and be another shield for her. To restore some of her body. The usual runes began glowing in my gauntlet, expanding their light as I approached the angel-like figure.

"Försil, restore this tired body." I prayed as I placed a glowing gauntlet onto the girl's back. Within some of her greatest wounds, she would begin to feel a warmth, emanated by a viscous semi-liquid spreading within those wounds, filling them up to the surface. As the liquid cooled down to her body's temperature, it would begin to resemble her body, at first some metallic version of it but gradually becoming more organic until it matched her actual missing flesh, skin, and even feathers.

Skills
    Saving Throws:

Skills:
    Deception:
    Spells
    Cantrip
    *Light (Aasimar)
    *Toll the Dead (Wizard)
    *Mage Hand (Wizard)

First Level
    *Bless (Paladin)
    *Command (Paladin)
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Long-Sword (15 GP)
    *Shield (10 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    7 GP
    4 SP
    2 CP

Carrying:
    *Spear x2 (2 GP)
    *Spellbook (50 GP)
    *Amulet (5 GP)
    *Crystal (10 GP)
    *Mess Kit (2 SP)
    *Robes (1 GP)
    *Hammer (1 GP)
    *Candle x10 (1 SP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Chalk x4 (4 CP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Healer's Kit (5 GP)
    *Common Clothes (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:
    *Darkvision: Blessed with a radiant soul, your vision can easily cut through darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

*Military Rank: You have a military rank from your career as a soldier. Soldiers loyal to your former military organization still recognize your authority and influence, and they defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You can invoke your rank to exert influence over other soldiers and requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. You can also usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where your rank is recognized.

Extra Actions:
    *Healing Hands: As an action, you can touch a creature and cause it to regain a number of hit points equal to your level. Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

*Radiant Consumption: Starting at 3rd level, you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing a searing light to radiate from you, pour out of your eyes and mouth, and threaten to char you.
    Your transformation lasts for 1 minute or until you end it as a bonus action. During it, you shed bright light in a 10-foot radius and dim light for an additional 10 feet, and at the end of each of your turns, you and each creature within 10 feet of you take radiant damage equal to half your level (rounded up). In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.

*Divine Sense: The presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the Hallow spell.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

*Lay on Hands: Your blessed touch can heal wounds. You have a pool of healing power that replenishes when you take a long rest. With that pool, you can restore a total number of hit points equal to your paladin level x 5.

As an action, you can touch a creature and draw power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in your pool.

Alternatively, you can expend 5 hit points from your pool of healing to cure the target of one disease or neutralize one poison affecting it. You can cure multiple diseases and neutralize multiple poisons with a single use of Lay on Hands, expending hit points separately for each one.

*Interception: When a creature you can see hits a target, other than you, within 5 feet of you with an attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage the target takes by 1d10 + your proficiency bonus (to a minimum of 0 damage). You must be wielding a shield or a simple or martial weapon to use this reaction.

*Divine Smite: Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend, to a maximum of 6d8.

*Arcane Recovery: You have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.

For example, if you're a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.

GM Post

• The undead screeched at the loss of its arm as it fully regained its balance, and fully committed in an attack against Hope, leaping in her direction, sword pointed directly down. The trajectory was obvious so Hope opted to dodge, only for the undead to shift its body into a position impossible for a living breathing creature and attempted to cut down the angel to the side. She barely managed to evade it, his blade narrowly scraping into the magical protection granted my Infirus.

The impending end of the struggle against the former pirates was accompanied by mists surrounding them. By now they'd entirely surrounded the boat, the only sign of the path behind them being a few spots of blue skies, and even those two would quickly be consumed by grey smoke. The shield of grey light with the runic symbols continued to rise and encase both Martell and the captain, and as it grew they began showing up. At first they appeared to be no more than quick puffs of smoke, disappearing as quickly as they appeared. Then vague shapes drew lines in the mists. Soon, one would see fingers entering Martell's protection, being incinerated in an instant by radiant magic. Screeches followed, and at last the apparitions began showing their forms.

Their forms were spectral, and being see-through they blended into the mists even more than one would have thought otherwise. Whenever they flew through the air they would spin and fly around things, or cross right through them in fluent motions reminiscent of some strange, macabre current, by which they let themselves be dragged between flickering in and out of any visible state. Those were more solid, less distorted forms were humanoids of various races, genders and ages, though they all had in common features that appeared to be elongated and malleable, and clothes that were seemingly soaked and tattered. Smoke rose from every extremity, finger and hair alike, which were particularly extended even relative to the rest of the body.

latest

Positions (each square has four positions of dimensions 5 by 5 [the square itself has is 10 by 10], NW (Northwest) NE (Northeast) SW (Southwest) and SE (Southeast), each position can have 1 creature)
-Pirate Corpse 4: H9 SW
-Pirate Corpse 5: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 12: Dead
-Drowned Spirit 1: I7 NE
-Drowned Spirit 2: K10 NE
-Drowned Spirit 3: J14 NE
-Drowned Spirit 4: F9 SW
-Drowned Spirit 5: H14 SE
-Sulain: J13 NE
-Atano: J9 NW
-Hope: I9 NW
-Infirus: I9 NE

Actions
-Pirate Corpse 4 Attacks Hope, Misses

The fog had rolled in, and even her stubbornly-beating heart knew what was coming. Infirus had gone off to assist the others. Good. There was a stairwell close by there, though a spirit had coagulated before it as well. They should be able to make it out fine, if the man had any of the same ghost-warding capabilities that Martell was demonstrating. Which meant there was only herself left. What were the options here?

The winged woman proved herself to be foolhardy, and the princeling proved himself to be suicidal. Would either of them really stop, so long as there was one more undead shambling aboard? Sulain breathed in deep, but coughed at the ghostly chill that seeped into her lungs. The bolt went wide, striking the mast. No time left to reload and try again. Her eyes turned towards the spirits that had emerged nearby her, towards the bastion of light that Martell had cast. Hopefully the radiance would distract them for a bit longer. Hopefully her shield arm would be able to hold back the spirits if they did come for her.

Always about hope. Never about skill. More than a decade had passed, and her foundations were still not set to stone.

Sparing no glance towards the three at the back of the deck, Sulain ran for the staircase leading down into the ship, trying to be as quiet as possible.
    Sulain shoots PC4, but misses.
    Sulain has moved to G13NW.

• HP: 0/27
    The fog came in, and Atano's strikes came out. Even with one arm, the remaining zombie was putting up a good fight, managing to deflect one hand even as the other tore out its rotting guts. Hope was still up, having through miracle alone kept herself from bleeding any more. The paladin arrived as well now, his holy magics restoring some of her complexion. Enough that maybe a leaf wouldn't knock her over? But not enough for her to survive the onslaught of the supernatural.

So he considered his options again. The paladin could heal, and looked to be the healthiest of them all. Only a single monster was left on board that physical attacks alone could vanquish. The ship certainly wouldn't be able to do this trip again any time soon, so whoever survives is going to be whoever he'll be working with on that cursed continent. If that was the case, then Atano decided to gamble again.

"Over here!" A shout to grab the pirate's attention, and then a quick dash to its side. If he could distract it, Hope could break away at the same time and get to the stairs. The paladin could finish off the creature and then they could all power through the ghost! And there was not a single thought in Atano's mind that he could fail.

His leg, however, begged to differ.

Makeshift alterations lasted only for so long, and the stress he placed upon his pierced leg finally caused catastrophic failure as the bone broke and twisted. Partway through his movement, Atano stumbled, his hands reaching for the blood-slicked deck to brace his fall, when it should have reached up to catch the blade of the zombie instead. Salt-crusted steel drove into his back, ripping into his lung.

His mind blackened.
    Atano punches PC4 twice, missing the first attack and dealing 7 Piercing on the second.
    Atano receives 8 damage from PC4's opportunity attack and is knocked out.
    Atano is downed at H10SW.

• Love
Reactions: Idea
GM Post

• These undead would not make escape so easy. Just as Sulain attempted to make her escape for the ship's interior, she was intercepted by one of the ghostly hands that stretched out in her direction. The drowning figure moaned with agony as it practically dragged itself through the air, body dissipating and reforming continuously. It passed right in front of Sulain, who managed to avoid it in the end, only to feel a pressure in her back and chest when another of the spirits passed through her body with an ambush from behind.If only for the moments in which the ghost was there, her body felt weak, tired and breaking like an old woman's, and black blisters upon her skin would reveal some lasting -if minor- damage.

The remaining spirits remained on more of an impasse, that is until light glowed through the very boards of the ship's floor, causing puffs of smoke to appear in random places and the spirits to screech, then go on the offensive. Two spirits near Infirius and Hope, some of their vitality being dragged out into the spirit's "claws". Another spirit yet, previously before the last remaining of the pirate reanimated corpses, dissipated around that zombie in what appeared to be a cloud of smoke, and reformed in front of it, leaving the other undead utterly unharmed. The spirits then attempted to attack Hope once more, who simply evaded it with a flap of her wings and some swift movements.

The first spirit that attacked Hope turned to her, scowled in her direction with a moan, then it's body quickly disappeared from sight.

Actions
-Drowned Spirit 1: Moves to I10 NW
-Hope: Fails saving throw, takes 1 damage
-Drowned Spirit 1: Uses Faint Etherealness
-Drowned Spirit 2: Uses dash
-Drowned Spirit 2: Moves to H9 SE
-Infirus: Fails save, takes 3 damae
-Drowned Spirit 3: Uses dash
-Drowned Spirit 3: Moves to F13 SW
-Sulain: Succeeds Save
-Drowned Spirit 4: Uses dash
-Drowned Spirit 4: Moves to I9 SW
-Hope: Succeeds Save
-Drowned Spirit 5: Uses dash
-Drowned Spirit 5: Moves to G12 NE
-Sulain Fails Save, takes 3 Damage

Hope: Attacks Pirate Corpse 4, Deals 9 Damage (Pirate Corpse 4 Dies)
    Hope: Moves to I12 NW

Hope

Hit Points: 5 / 21 | Hit Dice: 2d10+1d8 / 2d10+1d8

Once I'd gotten out of the spirit's way, I charged growling at the remaining undead. The creature tried to deflect my blow sure, but I spun in place while going around it, and suddenly extended one of my arms to slice it's head off. This worked, thrusting away an amulet and causing the corpse to fall limp on the ground, shattered into pieces of bone and gore from the impact.

Now with the last of the physical undead fallen, I had planned to set my swords ablaze and burn away the enemy, however after feeling it even briefly touch me I realized that with my injuries I could not afford to draw out my own blood, and then come closer to beings that hurt me so just by coming into contact with me. Glancing around me I saw Atano on the ground, Sulain escaping but herself being assailed by some of the spirits, and Infirus next to me, looking at the noble boy on the ground.

"Go, paladin Infirus, fulfill thine mission. To prolong our presence here, to touch foulness such as this, would be foolish. Let us retreat."

He nodded, and I nodded back, moving away with my wings as fast as I could.

Skills
    Saving Throws:

Skills:
    Spells
    1st Level
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Studded Leather (45 GP)
    *Short-Sword x2 (20 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    5 GP
    1 SP
    6 CP

Carrying:
    *Dagger x2 (4 GP)
    *Spear (1 GP)
    *Thieve's Tools (25 GP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Rations x10 (5 GP)
    *Bedroll (1 GP)
    *Candle x5 (5 CP)
    *Torch x5 (5 CP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Tinderbox (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:

Extra Actions:

Infirus: Moves to H9 NE
    Infirus: Uses Healing Hands on Atano (Restores 3 HP)

Infirus Silversap

Healing Hands Uses Left: 0/1

The light glowing beneath us was reflected in my white armor, except for a few shifting darkened spots. I stopped to look down to it.

"The light is coming from within. This means that-" I was cut off by the sound of Atano falling, and my pupils grew as they witnessed his chest being pierced. I attempted to move on reflex, visibly not paying enough attention to the spirit that went right through me, I felt as though the precious light I'd known all my life was being dragged away if only in miniscule amount… was this how it felt to have your soul pulled away? I looked at my gauntlet, then gripped my fist. There were more important things to focus on, Atano was dying.

Hope avenged the boy by destroying the corpse, and after we agreed on her plan, I did not hesitate to charge straight through one of the remaining ghosts to get to Atano as fast as I could muster. My gauntlet glew, magic being pulled not from the outside this time but from the inside of me, as my own body emitted healing light as I pressed my hand onto Atano's wounds.

After that, I stood up and offered the monk a hand.

"Can you move? Can you get up? I can try to carry you if you require. We must get inside the ship as soon as possible."

After all, the glowing floor could mean one thing:

The ritual was complete.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"All of you, are you all ok?" Shouted Kaleh as he rushed out of the boat warmmer in one hand and shield in the other.

Skills
    Saving Throws:

Skills:
    Deception:
    Spells
    Cantrip
    *Light (Aasimar)
    *Toll the Dead (Wizard)
    *Mage Hand (Wizard)

First Level
    *Bless (Paladin)
    *Command (Paladin)
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Long-Sword (15 GP)
    *Shield (10 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    7 GP
    4 SP
    2 CP

Carrying:
    *Spear x2 (2 GP)
    *Spellbook (50 GP)
    *Amulet (5 GP)
    *Crystal (10 GP)
    *Mess Kit (2 SP)
    *Robes (1 GP)
    *Hammer (1 GP)
    *Candle x10 (1 SP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Chalk x4 (4 CP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Healer's Kit (5 GP)
    *Common Clothes (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:

Extra Actions:

-Pirate Corpse 4: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 5: Dead
-Pirate Corpse 12: Dead
-Drowned Spirit 1: (Unknown)
-Drowned Spirit 2: H9 SE
-Drowned Spirit 3: F13 SW
-Drowned Spirit 4: I9 SW
-Drowned Spirit 5: G12 NE
-Kaleh: G14 NW
-Sulain: G13 NW
-Atano: H10 SW
-Hope: I12 NW
-Infirus: H9 NE

• HP: 1/11
    Black blisters surged over her body, but whatever disgust Sulain felt was muted by the fact that she couldn't see it anyways. Her body was fully-clothed, after all. Whatever horrors awaited her view once she removed her armor would have to wait until after she was safe. But she was so tired. Her own lost blood, her own weakening body rebelled against her desires, telling her that it was fine to die. Die and delay this parasite's rebirth for another generation. Die and finally be free of all this struggling.

"Fuck off."

Biting into her tongue, the pale-faced woman used pain to chase away fatigue and flashed a bloody grin at the drowned spirits, before launching herself off the staircase. Gravity did the rest, as Sulain practically barreled into the ship's hallowed interior, barely missing Kaleh who had just opened the door. Sulain sprung up immediately afterwards, drawing her axe and hoisting her shield, just in case anything else terrible happened. But the ritual had been complete. Nothing of deathly nature could slip in. This entire fight was then, in some ways, a triumph.

Ignoring the fact that three of the four on board had brushed with death, of course.
    Sulain Disengages and books it.

• HP: 3/27
    Whatever ruminations or dark dreams Atano had as he lapsed into unconsciousness was split open quite suddenly by the holy light that surged out of Infirus, bringing him coughing back up, his heart jackhammering against his ribs. The monk breathed in deep as his five senses stretched out to tell him exactly what had transpired. Only a few seconds had passed. The spirits were still on board. He was literally lying beside the undead that downed him. His back and his leg still hurt. He was breathing out of one lung, but the other could be remolded with a quick nap.

The ritual was complete. Time to get gone.

"I'm good," Atano chirped lightly. He sprung up to his feet, masking his wince of pain from the still-broken leg with a chuckle. "Shame I didn't wake up on the lap of the angel, but many gratitudes regardless, paladin. Now take care of yourself and let's not put little Kal's work to waste, yes?"

Wouldn't be much of a funny joke if he ended up keeling over again, that was for certain, and when surrounded by things that were literally, totally, utterly, undeniably dead, Atano certainly didn't feel as if kicking them was going to do any good. Adopting serpentine movements that favored his undamaged leg, the Changeling rushed for the staircase closer to him.
    Atano disengages and runs for I7.

Drowned Spirits 3 and 5 Move Through Hope, Hope succeeds both dexterity saves
    Hopes goes to the ship's interior

Hope

Hit Points: 5 / 21 | Hit Dice: 2d10+1d8 / 2d10+1d8

I flew right past Kaleh as well, evading the spirits again by going up and down and spinning with my wings. I slid past the door's threshold, managing to stop just barely before hitting the wall. Next to me was that woman with the axe, the one who had aided me returning to my feet earlier.

"I thank thee for thine assistance before." I declared with a nod. "We ought to maketh haste to this ship's interior. Kaleh is surely capable of dealing with those souls, whilst we headeth to safety."

Having said this, I began walking down the stairs, whether following, leading or accompanying Sultain. When we got there the door was open, while on the other end of the room the door was closed, probably because Kaleh had walked out of this one while going back up. The people inside the large room where all coddled against the various crates, makeshift fences (partially enveloped in cloths to avoid having the spikes on them hurt any of the people sitting next to them), unfolded tents, weapons, religious tokens and several other items which should prove useful upon disembarking onto a hostile land. The whole room was covered side to side, top to bottom in an aura of semi-transparent golden light, reaching up to the door's threshold. I placed a hand in it, which went right through without harm, so I stepped the rest of the way inside and gestured at Sultain to do the same.

As I entered, heads once more turned to me. Some of them had a dreading gaze, others appeared to be filled with hope or relief. A balding man with a thick white mustache, and wearing a fur vest stood up.

"Oh! Is the fight above concluded? We've heard some terrible noise. It was difficult to remain quiet and not disturb the paladin's ritual." He explained.

"We art fine. The battle shall soon meet its end. Thou shalt know safety."

The sight of relief was now far more widespread among the group.

"Thank the gods." Said the man, before sitting down to continue polishing a spike.

"Shall we take a seat ourselves?" I gestured vaguely towards the room. There wasn't a lot of room and wherever we sat we would end up in between or even on top of people, but in my eyes at least, it was better than simply remaining standing.

Skills
    Saving Throws:

Skills:
    Spells
    1st Level
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Studded Leather (45 GP)
    *Short-Sword x2 (20 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    5 GP
    1 SP
    6 CP

Carrying:
    *Dagger x2 (4 GP)
    *Spear (1 GP)
    *Thieve's Tools (25 GP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Rations x10 (5 GP)
    *Bedroll (1 GP)
    *Candle x5 (5 CP)
    *Torch x5 (5 CP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Tinderbox (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:

Extra Actions:

-Mentions: @ERode (Atano)

Drowned Spirits 2 and 4 each pass through Infirus twice, Infirus succeeds saving throw twice, takes 1 damage from each of the other instances.
    Infirus: Goes to H11 NE, then escapes the deck of the ship

Infirus Silversap

Hit Points: 15/17 | Hit Dice: 2d10+1d6 / 2d10+1d6

"Kaleh!" I shouted back upon the sight of my fellow greylight order paladin emerging from within the ship, once more confirming my assumption that the ritual was now complete. Just as they should, the rest began to move into the ship's interior, even the injured Atano. However, he was seemingly not as swift in his escape inside as the rest of them. I had restored him to life, but at this rate who knew if he would make it.

The ghosts once more came towards me, and once more I wasn't able to evade them. I endured one of their touches, sending it screeching with my body's innate holy power, but the other one was able to syphon some life out of me, which in turn gave me an idea.

Shield on my arm, I ran towards the center of the ship rather than my own escape, making sure to swing around my blade as wildly as I could. If Atano had shown this kind of bravery, it would bring shame upon us paladins if I could not do the same in far less adverse conditions.

"Come here you vile spirits!" I yelled. "Come and face Infirus Silversap!"

It seemed to go according to plan. The spirits did in fact go back my way, once more passing through my body with similar results to the previous time, right now to a small drain on my vitality. I kept swinging my blade about with brusque movements, all the while keeping an eye on Atano and waiting for him to go to the ship's interior before I myself could go without having to be concerned with the possibility of him becoming the ghost's next target.

Skills
    Saving Throws:

Skills:
    Deception:
    Spells
    Cantrip
    *Light (Aasimar)
    *Toll the Dead (Wizard)
    *Mage Hand (Wizard)

First Level
    *Bless (Paladin)
    *Command (Paladin)
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Long-Sword (15 GP)
    *Shield (10 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    7 GP
    4 SP
    2 CP

Carrying:
    *Spear x2 (2 GP)
    *Spellbook (50 GP)
    *Amulet (5 GP)
    *Crystal (10 GP)
    *Mess Kit (2 SP)
    *Robes (1 GP)
    *Hammer (1 GP)
    *Candle x10 (1 SP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Chalk x4 (4 CP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Healer's Kit (5 GP)
    *Common Clothes (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:

Extra Actions:

GM Post

• "What do you think you're doing Infirus?" Protested the other paladin, who was attempting to evade the spirits while coming to his comrade's assistance. "Do not act so foolishly. Go inside!"

The spirits soon reached him as well, however, draining a significant portion of vitality upon that simple touch. He was able to avoid it any further however, at least as far as it took everyone to gather in the ship's interior. Right before he went inside, Kaleh gave Martell one last confident look and nod.

->Combat over, everyone gets a short rest.<-

A few hours passed. Kaleh had to remake the ritual a few times to refresh the duration of the effects, but since they were already under the protection of one there was no period in which they were unprotected. By the time the ritual's duration ended for the last time, and everyone climbed back to the deck for some fresh air and ensure everything was ready and on course, the mists were already some ways away from the ship, nothing but moving vapors in the distance that reminded them of the ghostly grip they just escaped.

They were almost at the shore. Any that went to the front of the ship would already be able to spot the undead wandering the sands, going mindlessly back and forth. There was one who had once been a soldier judging by the armor with the fainted coloring of a crest, though the armor itself was partially removed even where it hadn't been bitten. There was one with the remains of a straw hat, ragged clothes and a broken fishing rod jammed right through it's chest. There was one that was much smaller than many of the others, dragging around a ripped stuffed bunny across the beach, perhaps still lingering to some strong desire or emotion left within it. There were also several seeming body parts lying all across the beach, some even appearing to be "planted" on the sand.

Kaleh turned to everyone there:

"Friends, allies, coworkers, whatever you may see us as- We are nearly at the shore. Soon we will begin our conquest of this small fraction of the once-kingdom. I would very much like to tell you that if you had any second thoughts you could simply stay on board… however, we are the vanguard. Every person, every little piece of wood, food and string, they all may prove essential in the days to come. If you had second thoughts, you should have jumped overboard before we ever made our way into the mists. Now, if you want to live, there is no path but forward, no path but to work together and survive another day. As soon as we arrive on shore, the combatants will follow me and Martell onto the beach and dispatch all the undead in the immediate area. After that, the construction unit will advance and set up the camp and perimeter initial forticiations. We will then proceed to kill all the buried undead. They should be weakened, the undead appear to be more active at night, and so the rest bury themselves into the ground. We will not give them a chance to rise yet again."

Actions
-Drowned Spirits 3 and 5 pass through Kaleh, deal 3 and 4 damage.
-Kaleh goes to the interior of the ship

Last edited:

• HP: 10/11
    "Just doing my job," Sulain responded, arcing a brow at the archaic language of the winged warrior. "Imagine the morale loss if a divine messenger fell before we even reached the shore." She could certainly imagine it, and let out a dark little chuckle as she descended into the room alongside Hope, silently brushing past the poor blokes along for the ride before practically collapsing against a barrel of stockfish. With a countenance designed to warn people away from making conversation, Sulain pulled the chainmail off her body with a hiss, before peeling off portions of her bloodied tunic as well. It was a grisly sight, but nothing that she hadn't dealt with in the past. The parasite slipped into her eyes, drawing vespers of arcane art over her vision, of how easily she'd mend with a touch of divine benediction. Annoying little bugger. She pulled off her tunic entirely, revealing a tapestry of scar tissue against an emaciated frame. All skin and bones and wiry muscle, strong as any other but so much more frail. Wetting her tunic with some water, Sulain dabbed her wounds clean, then bandaged them up carefully. It wasn't the sort of injury that'd heal after just a night's rest, but it wasn't the sort of injury that she'd be rendered absolutely bedridden by.

Really, it was just great enough that none of her bones were broken.

Pulling a fresh tunic over herself, the pale-skinned woman adjusted her seating posture, ignored whatever looks she got from the others on board, and began to work on repairing her chainmail, one link at a time. The ship continued on rocking on, the ghostly wails muted through the wooden walls. Her body hurt all over and her task was a tedious one, but still. This was about as peaceful as it was going to ever get. So she chose to enjoy it.
    ~~~
    And in just a few hours, that peaceful time ended.

Chewing on some dried fish and leaning against the railing of the ship, Sulain surveyed the undead upon the beach with narrowed eyes. What miserable business to come across. Her chainmail was linked up properly again though, and her battle axe had a new edge to it as well. Her shield was polished, and her crossbow...remained essentially the same; not much to maintain on that one. But still, that's a lot in terms of numbers. Even if some of the undead were armed with little more than a ragged doll missing most of its stuffing, the numbers alone were worrisome, and having two extra paladins along for the ride.

"Kaleh," Sulain drawled. "That sounds wonderfully heroic and all, advancing upon the beach and diving right into the bloody, dusty fray, but honestly, why not just shoot them down from the safety of the ship? Clear out as many as we can without risking our bodies, and then advance to secure the area afterwards."
    Sulain has her short rest, recovering 9 HP.

• HP: 22/27
    Ki: 3/3
    "Cause ammunition's a resource as well," Atano chimed in, already bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet to limber up for the upcoming engagement. He had spent the last few hours simply socializing with the others within the hold, lifting up spirits where he could about all the heroics that had occured above the deck, from Hope's legendary sword skills which saw her beheading a trio of zombies in a single flying somersault, to Infirus's shieldwork in deflecting a barrage of blows, to Atano's own mystical martial arts, capable of sending a giant zombie monster flying with a single strike. Oh, and there was that pale woman as well, who shot things. The few hours spared had given him time too to rearrange his innards as well, and to undergo the more complicated task of knitting together his broken bones.

An unpleasant task, made pleasant by the distraction of conversation.

"Though to explain more thoroughly," the Changeling continued, "is it not a matter of immediacy? Surely you've notice that between ol' Kal, Martell, and Infirus, they are all men of steel and shield, while Hope's certainly a lady of blades as well. As for myself, multi-talented as I am, I've only brought darts to the table, which aren't exactly known for their range. As such, while it'd certainly be amusing to watch you work away at your crossbow, it may be long into the night before you've cleared out the beach. And of all the resources at our disposal, I do believe time is the most important one."
    Atano has his short rest, recovering Ki and 19 HP.

GM Post

• Kaleth listened to Sulain's objection, shooting glances at Martell should the older paladin have anything to add or respond. He didn't interrupt Atano's response either, in fact he nodded along with some of what he said and even went so far as to raise a hand when the monk was finished, indicating he intended to speak now.

"Indeed, as he said, time and resources are the primary reasons why we ought to advance on the beach. There are three main causes for it being as such." He raised three fingers and lowered one with each point he went over. "First, as I went over before the undead are more active during the night. Even the very beaches you see here may not appear to have a lot of undead, but we have no means of knowing how many may be buried in the ground in wait, nor do we know their capabilities. The existence of undead able to use magic is already known, and even if there are no such powerful foes here we cannot discount the possibility that some are armed with ranged weaponry at least, or even that some might be capable of swimming as the ones you fought were. Second, while we made sure to bring a hefty amount of supplies they are not endless. Make no mistake, since our intention is to recover the territory we have to ensure this endeavor is sustainable. Fortunately, our scouts have already managed to confirm some places we could find food at, even if we'll have to ration heavily with just those. Nonetheless, the sooner we can begin collecting those additional resources the better. Third, everyone on this ship signed up to be the vanguard. The other ships are coming behind us, and they will be expecting a camp to be set up by the time they arrive. Nothing fancy is necessary for now, but some degree of established fortifications and places to sleep is. We already have everything prepared to be set up- we just need to get to where we assemble the pieces."

Kaleh then clapped a single time, and turned around without giving time for any further objections.

"Now, let us begin. Hope, if you could please scout the area. From what we can see there are no foes who can reach you in the sky in the immediate vicinity, so it should prove safe. Atano and Sulain, you will accompany myself and Martell as we go down to deal with those first undead we can see. Infirus will stand at the forefront of the remaining and guard them as they make their way into land, just in case of an ambush. Everyone else… you already know your jobs." Kaleh then walked towards the edge of the stairs leading to the front of the ship and looked up. "Captain! Bring us ashore!"

What followed was organized, but at the same time frantic. The undead turned their heads, gradually one by one focusing on the large wooden vessel that was turning sideways onto the sandy coast. Some of them approached, others seemed content to watch from afar as the disembark commenced. Hope flew above them, watching for any stray undead or other inconveniences, while Atano, Sulain, Martell and Kaleh advanced first and in tandem, beginning to clear the path of undead with their weapons. Sometimes the things wouldn't stand down even if they were seemingly destroyed, then one of them would finish the job or Hope would swoop in to do it herself. By the time Infirus left the vessel, shield in one hand and sword in the other, with his daughter Boo walking down right behind him and hiding her face against his armor, there was effectively nothing for him to deal with other than his own worries. Even the undead with no more than a single limb sticking out of the sand, if they weren't taken care of by Sulain or Atano, didn't seem to react much to being smacked by something the passengers had brought, or trampled underfoot by another.

It was around late afternoon when they reached the place where the camp would be assembled. They were the ruins of a village, probably the same one that was the source of the undead. The paladins, Atano, Sulain and the present soldiers took care of searching every nook and cranny of the deserted village for any undead in the houses, and disposed of any found. Meanwhile, spiked fences were placed around the ruins and decorated with arcane objects and religious symbols. Tents began to be set up, armament and positions distributed, places for the distribution of food and water, and the small village temple was quickly discovered and both Martell and Kaleh began preparing a number of things within, including bringing in a small chest containing a number of spell scrolls. Holes were dug around the fences, flint and wood readied.

By the time things were mostly ready in this improvised camp, it was already deep into dawn. Everyone was given some additional time to rest, before a soldier was sent to Atano, Hope, Infirus and Sulain, calling them to the temple as the paladins wished to speak with them.

Hope

Hit Points: 18 / 21 | Hit Dice: 1d8 / 2d10+1d8

I had taken care to fold my wings as I sat down, concentrating mainly on the recovery of my body. Some sitting idly by noticed a figure of wounds across my body, and the rips in my armor, much against what Atano was seemingly proclaiming. Though my most grievous wounds had been repaired by the healing magics and miracles of the decrepit woman and Infirus, one of the paladins of the order, much of the damage remained, and my wings were still stained with blood.

"I hath suffered some injuries in the battle above. That boy jests of my feats, and humbles his own beneath the facts. Thou needst not be concerned: I shalt taketh this time to recover, and return to my duty when we reacheth the shore." I had declared to them.

Intriguingly, hesitance is a more complex beast than some give it credit for. It take more than a singular shape, be developed along more than a singular angle. Some of the people who approached me hesitated to inquire what they had on their minds, though they managed to speak up first and offer to repair my armor while I concentrated on recovering. Others took longer but eventually managed to say what they were really thinking:

"How could those things inflict such wounds on you? At this rate, it's almost as if… almost as if even the common undead could kill you too. Can you really bring back the empire?"

"I shall. Such is my duty."

From that point forward, I simply focused on myself. On that sensation I had when I first emerged, and when the healing magic was applied on me. That sensation of coming together, of being ripped from my surroundings and into myself, becoming myself. Filling up this body of mine… There was a faint aura around me, a certain glow that emanated as my body seemed to reconstruct itself, albeit very slowly....

...When I came to, we were being called onto the deck once more. The ritual had been dispelled by this point, or perhaps the magic had simply faded out. I climbed up, witnessed the discussion that took place and remained silent, nodding along only when Kaleh called out to me with my instructions. As requested I would soon be in the air observing until the initial camp was set up.

After I returned from my flight, I went to get myself a refreshment of some kind. I took a while strolling through the camp, until one of the soldiers approached me and gave me a salute.

"The templars wish to see you at the temple Hope! It's the largest building up the hill!" The soldier pointed towards it.

Skills
    Saving Throws:

Skills:
    Spells
    1st Level
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Studded Leather (45 GP)
    *Short-Sword x2 (20 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    5 GP
    1 SP
    6 CP

Carrying:
    *Dagger x2 (4 GP)
    *Spear (1 GP)
    *Thieve's Tools (25 GP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Rations x10 (5 GP)
    *Bedroll (1 GP)
    *Candle x5 (5 CP)
    *Torch x5 (5 CP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Tinderbox (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:

Extra Actions:

Infirus Silversap

Hit Points: 15/17 | Hit Dice: 2d10+1d6 / 2d10+1d6

Our battle continued for a while more before I dashed into the ship's interior. I was soon kneeling, spending most of our time within the ritual spell in prayer and flickering through the pages of a certain small tome I possessed. After a while, I informed the rest that I was going outside to confirm the status of the fog and Martell, as well as the captain's and returned declaring we'd be out of danger soon. I rested a bit then, taking care to polish my blade while being unable to do the same for my shield, and not bothering to do it with my armor. Once I was (mostly) certain we had exited the fog, I took my leave and returned to a small room, staying with Boo until it was time for us to return to the deck of the ship. Once there, I went to grab my shield, which was now lying next to the edge of the ship, only stopped from falling off outright by that short wall. I began working on some improvised mending of my shield, and a little bit of polishing, while the discussion regarding the merits of shooting the undead from afar or going straight to them ourselves was going on.

Boo herself was holding on to my leg, hiding her face behind it the whole time. I gave her a pat on the head as the discussion ended, part reassurance, part as a half-apology for how unkept her hair looked, being on the sea for so long for the first time. Later, after the frontline had cleared the immediately visible undead, I instructed:

"Boo, stay close behind me." I smiled at her, though it was likely not very visible from behind my helmet. Or at all. I then turned to the rest of the present crew and passengers. "Everyone, if you are not necessary to man the ship, follow a bit behind me. Those necessary to man the ship, come as soon as you are able to."

I then readied my shield, raised my sword, and began descending...

….

The temple wasn't anything made to impress: It was simple, small and rustic, just the type you'd expect from a village on the edges of the old kingdom. Little sunlight passed through the dust-covered windows, most of the illumination coming from cracks or holes in them, or the candles myself and my fellow Greylight paladins had begun to lit. Mush grew on the side of the carefully placed stonework, and fungi on the base of the statue of a goddess holding large fish on top of her arms with rolled back sleeves. The things probably feasted on the dried blood once belonging to one of the walking corpses we had likely dealt with outside.

We and a few soldiers had knocked down what remained of the broken door, and taken out the benches that had been too drained by rot to remain safe and usable. In replacement of the door with used some sheets to make for curtains, then we began placing symbols of Försil. Though it may disgrace the goddess worshipped in this region, it was doubtful she was offering any protection any longer, if ever she truly did. On the other hand, through the coming ceremonies my fellow paladins would work on a ward to keep the people within safe from some of the more dangerous undead.

Finally, a table was set up, with a map from the scouts drawn by the scouts being placed upon it. I was allowed to take my leave to bring Boo somewhere she could rest for a while longer, perhaps spend a bit of time with her before I was needed again. Taking the girl by the hand, I brought her along to search for an empty tent we could borrow for a bit (since it'd be troublesome to have to unfold our own so soon).

"Alright Boo. You're going to stay here, you hear me? It's like in the boat, I'll be back to pick you up right away, alright? They are probably going to call me for something soon. Ah, don't worry! It's not something for a pretty little one like you to be worried about, I'm sure. We'll get to hang out soon, I promise. Soon.... How about you take care of that hair I always do such a bad job with? Maybe I'll have a surprise when I come- "

I didn't get to finish what I was saying, seeing the shadow of the soldier who arrived, likely to request my presence back at that rustic old temple they were readying themselves in.

b65dad564ffb4ea1b698d932d34c514c.jpeg

Skills
    Saving Throws:

Skills:
    Deception:
    Spells
    Cantrip
    *Light (Aasimar)
    *Toll the Dead (Wizard)
    *Mage Hand (Wizard)

First Level
    *Bless (Paladin)
    *Command (Paladin)
    Items
    Equipped:
    *Long-Sword (15 GP)
    *Shield (10 GP)
    *Sack x4 (4 CP)

Currency:
    0 PP
    7 GP
    4 SP
    2 CP

Carrying:
    *Spear x2 (2 GP)
    *Spellbook (50 GP)
    *Amulet (5 GP)
    *Crystal (10 GP)
    *Mess Kit (2 SP)
    *Robes (1 GP)
    *Hammer (1 GP)
    *Candle x10 (1 SP)
    *Rope-Hemp (1 GP)
    *Shovel (2 GP)
    *Chalk x4 (4 CP)
    *Waterskin (2 SP)
    *Healer's Kit (5 GP)
    *Common Clothes (5 SP)
    Abilities
    Passives:

Extra Actions: