4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Romance (always a genre) fantasy sci-fi modern
@lovecore

The Blue Moon Pack was restless. The presence of a new wolf, a new alpha was very strong. The current alpha placed back and forth in his office, wondering what to do. This wolf threatened his position. He didn't like it one bit. He looked at the door to right of his office, the one that led to a bedroom.

Slowly, he approached, a shaking hand reaching out to grasp the knob firmly. He turned and pulled the door open and strode forward into the room. It looked like a murder had taken place. So much blood everywhere. Bandages thrown into a bucket on the floor as nurses sat to take a moment to breathe. The doctor tending to something in his bathroom, watering running as he did.

The alpha glanced at his wife. She wasn't his mate, no he had never had the luxury to meet her, but he had found a kinship with another wolf, enough to try to have a family with her. What a mistake it turned out to be. Her body was cold and lifeless now. Her pained screams had ceased long ago, her head tilted to the side, she almost appeared asleep. He brushed his fingers against her cheek gently. He would miss her.

His head snapped up as a piercing scream came from the bathroom. The doctor came out with a grim smile. "My alpha, I apologize I could not save her, but we did save your child. Would you like to see?" He offered.

Glancing down at the child in his arms, he saw quite a sight. The child was strong. Very strong. The sense of alpha radiating off of it was so thick you could cut it. The alpha's breathing caught in his throat in fear. If the child grew up knowing who it was, it would destroy him.

"No, take it away. I do not wish to see it ever again," he said.

The doctor's face fell, obvious disappointment forming. "I'm sorry sir, but this is your wife's child, the Luna's-" he tried to argue.

"I said: take. It. Away. I don't care what you do with it, but I do not wish to ever see it again," he said and turned. Yes, he knew the risk he was taking of sending his only heir away. It was almost unheard of that he was even able to reproduce with his wife, as wolves can't have children with anyone but their mate, but it seemed the Goddess had blessed him. Now he knew it was a curse.

"Of course sir, I will send it away," the doctor said and he took the crying child away, finally leaving the alpha in peace.

17 years later

Damon awoke that morning very slowly. The dream he had escaping him before he had time to think on it. Didn't matter much to him. It probably wasn't all that important anyways. He glanced around his room. It was in a state of disarray, typical for a boy his age.

He looked at the calendar on the wall and sighed. Today he was required to go to the pack house because it was a female's birthday. While he wasn't yet of age, he was close. Until he found his mate he would be required to go to these events. Unless he leaves. A high possibility for him.

"Damon!" His mother screeched from the other side of his door. "Get dressed or you will be late," she said.

"Yes, ma'am," he replied. He wasn't allowed to call her mother out loud, but she was the only one he had. The alpha had forced her and her husband to take him in. Why he wasn't sure.

He threw the blanket to the side, hearing it lightly smack the wall. He then swung his legs over the side of his bed and stood. He approached his closet and yawned, scratching the top of his head. He picked out a pair of Jean's, white socks, and a plain red tshirt. Then he went downstairs and found his old, worn out sneakers. They were his brother's old shoes and barely fit him.

"I need new shoes," he said simply as he threw them on.

"I told you, money is tight," his mother snapped.

His eyes flashed a bright green in her direction. "You weren't saying that when you bought Sam his new phone," he snapped back. He was grateful despite throwing his attitude back, but he couldn't stop it.

His mother cowered at his tone. "I will get you some shoes as soon as I can. But they wont be new," she said with a hint of defiance.

"Just make sure they fit, and no holes," he mumbled as he grabbed his keys.

"Be back tonight. Love you," he called as he exited the house. He then hurried to his beat up black 1997 Ford ranger. It wasn't much, but he had worked hard for it. As in he made a deal if he slaved away for the family for a year, it was his. They made true on their promise.

He started the truck, getting some resistance but eventually the engine began to purr like a kitten. He grinned to himself and pulled out of the driveway. He was headed to the pack house where all those young wolves would be today. The pack house was for the young wolves, and some families, to live together. Mostly made up of mates who were too young to move into their own place so they could be close while also escaping their parent's. There were still enough adults around to ruin the mood.

He reached the house within 20 minutes. He switched off his truck and leaned back, sighing softly. Did he really want to do this? No, he didn't. When he goes in, all eyes will be avoiding his out of fear. Not that he wanted attention, but he didn like that they were scared of him. Sighing again, he hopped out of his truck and made his way inside.

Reactions: mammon.
“You look beautiful, Rosemary,” The woman cooed with a soft smile, “You make us so proud to have you as a daughter. To think, seventeen already…” Her hands, which were cupping the girl’s face, moved to tuck her hair behind her ears with tears in her eyes. “We love you so much.”

The brunette’s face flushed a deep shade of pink, moving to hold her hand against her mother’s with a sheepish grin. “Mom, it’s not a big deal.” She laughed, moving to wipe her mother’s tears for her. Rosemary was never a big fan of the emotional aspect of birthdays for her mother. As much as she loved her, the young woman was tired of the mild heartache she experienced every birthday, every moment her mother would tear up at the thought of one of her little babies growing another year older. Perhaps, part of the reason for this heartache was associated with the fact that she was the only daughter in a group of six children, with only one older brother who had moved out with his mate, and four rambunctious younger brothers. Being the only girl meant that she had to be strong, yet delicate; gentle, but ready to defend at a moment’s notice.

“Not a big deal? Rosie, you’re a young lady now. Your ma’s just sad that you’re not our little girl anymore.” Her father’s larger hand lifted to run through her hair, and Rosemary’s grin turned into a much softer smile. “You’re at that age where we can’t hold you back from what you want to do anymore. You understand that, right?”

The girl’s heart practically fluttered at the thought.

“I understand, Dad.” She felt her father’s hand drop from her head, and she straightened out the plain white party dress she’d picked out for the occasion. “I’ll be okay. Trust me.”

His hand rested upon her shoulder this time, somehow feeling heavier than a bag of bricks to the young woman. “It’s not about trust, Rosie—” He looked over as the doors to the pack house opened, and sighed in relent, looking at his daughter with a small smile. “Enjoy yourself. We’ll talk more later.”

Amber eyes blinked at her parents in worry, their visible heartache almost made her sad for whatever the future held. But she needed to be strong, for them and herself. She couldn’t hold a future for herself if she didn’t learn how to take that first step forward, and follow wherever her destiny carried her from here on out… If only she could take that first step.

Turning away from her parents, she drew in a deep breath, and finally began to walk forward, not entirely sure of what she should do. Events like these were always so tiring, and now that she was seventeen, she could feel the oncoming headache…

Damon's first move was to head to the kitchen. The room was massive and elegant. It easily held 30 people without concern for overcrowding. The dark stained wood of the cabinets gave it a natural appearance with the white marble counter tops. There were two fridges that could be seen, both large enough to feed a family of eight with ease. The stainless steel design added a bit of modernism to the room along with the two stoves.

He went straight for the fridge to get a drink. Eating too early was rude, even if he hadn't eaten the night before. He sat at the bar as for now this was one of the quieter rooms. Most of the pack would be in the living room or out back near the pool. Either way, he wanted to avoid the largest of the groups.

In the room with him there were only five brave enough to stand and talk. Everyone else would enter and either leave or grab what they came for and leave. He glanced around and noticed how the five that stayed grew weary of his gaze. He may have a mean look about him, but he wasn't a bad guy, honest!

After finishing his drink he decided to walk back to the living room. The crowd parted for him wherever he went. A few mumbled apologies here and there. Finally he found his place by the window. He leaned against the sill, crossed his arms, and began to stare out at the sky. The lighting gave him a warm glow that would make any guy look good, but the effect was lost under everyones fear.

"Dude, you have to lighten up or the pack will never accept you," came a familiar voice.

Turning his attention to the speaker, he realized it was Justice, the future alpha who also happened to be 17 and unmated. This even was likely exciting for him and the young woman given the potential opportunity she would receive. Damon smiled and reached out to first bump him as he was good friends with Justice. He was like the only friend actually.

"Ah, I just like to act aloof so the girls think I'm sexy," he said with an eyebrow wiggle. This made Justice laugh, making everyone turn to them in curiosity.

Damon joined him in laughter. "Dude, it isn't working for ya. But hey, do you. How's the fam?" He responded once he calmed himself.

"Same old same old. Sam is here somewhere, probably sneaking off with another female. You know how he is," he sighed. Sam was 14 but more active and successful than Damon. Odd, but he didn't much care. He would wait for his mate.

"So you think this girl might be the Luna?" Damon asked.

"I dont know, but would nice, no? I heard she's nice, and good looking, too. That's a combo that's hard to find," Justice replied.

"Right, you're so shallow man," he said playfully.

"Hey a guy can dream! But whoever the Luna is, I know she will be perfect. Just like your mate will be," he said.

"Nah, I am not looking for a mate man. Look at how everyone is afraid of me. I dont want that for her," he said softly.

Justice shrugged and turned to go. "Whatever man. I'll talk to you later, I need to go and check on the rest of the pack," he said before taking off.

Rosemary had never felt so uncomfortable. Having been a second born of six children, she was rather used to not having the spotlight on her— Suddenly, it’s her seventeenth, and instead of curling up with a good book and a hot cup of cocoa, she was thrust into a game of ‘will she, won’t she?’ in regards to if she’d become someone’s Luna. She wasn’t hoping for it in the slightest. Granted, it had always been a dream of hers to have a family of her own, with children to care for and a strong mate to keep them safe. It was practically every little girl’s dream. So why wasn’t she thrilled in the slightest to finally be of age to seek out her mate? To anyone else, she’d blatantly refuse to respond, although she did already have a reason why. It was quite simple:

Fear. Fear of the unknown, of not being ready for such a commitment. She didn’t exactly have any commitment issues to address, in fact she’d boast about her loyalty if it wasn’t a common trait among wolves. She was just so afraid of what she didn’t know. What if her mate didn’t like her that much? What if she didn’t like him? Or if her mate was some kind of hidden psychopath?!

That time, her thoughts got ahead of her, and the thought made her glare at her reflection in the drink she got for herself. With a deep sigh, she finally downed the contents, almost about ready to step outside for fresh air, until a pair of arms wrapped around her with a giggle.

“Howdy, partner!” A head of blonde hair spoke up from behind her, and from the voice, Rosemary already knew who it was, and smiled contentedly. She’d found her solace…

“Vera!” Rosemary turned to face her friend, giving her a hug with a sigh of relief.

Vera snickered, her taller frame (despite her being two years younger) was forcing her to look down a bit on her brown-haired birthday girl. “You look just about ready to bust out of here. You ok?”

Rosemary pulled back from the hug, combing her hair out of her face with her fingers. “You don’t know the half of it. I mean, I like gatherings, but now that it’s about me, it’s…” The woman paused, attempting to swallow down more of her drink, only to realize she’d already emptied it. The brunette glared into the cup with a disappointed pout, which only elicited a laugh from Vera.

“Yeah, I guessed that this shindig wouldn’t suit you.. Still, I think you should embrace it. Attention suits you,” Vera spoke, crossing her arms and glancing to her friend with a small smirk.

“Okay, what is that supposed to mean?” Rosemary chuckled with a playful roll of her eyes as she led the two to where she can set her cup away.

“You usually manage so well with a bunch of people— I mean, look at your fucking brothers,” Vera snorted. “I think you should just take the night off and let loose. Forget the books, talk to people, and get hyped for the future. ‘Cause I know you got a good one ahead of you.” She added with a smile and a playful wink.

Rosemary lifted her head, glancing to her friend. “What makes you say that?”

Vera shrugged, hooking her thumbs into her jean pockets with a crooked grin. “Best friend’s intuition. What can I say.” The blonde’s eyes scanned through the crowds, brows only raising at the sight of a particular presence. “People usually thank people that come to their birthday parties,” Vera held up a finger before Rosemary could speak, another smirk dancing on her lips. “Whether the party was wanted or not, okay. Go talk to people, literally anyone, even that weirdo everyone’s scared of, but I’d place a better bet on literally anyone else. He kinda scares me, seems like it’s the same case for everyone else.”

A set of amber eyes sought out where Vera had been looking, though looked back to her friend with a small frown. “I guess.” Rosemary’s conscience tugged at her heartstrings, playing it like a damned harp. She was too soft to not at least say ‘hi’ and ‘bye’. He was a total loner… but it was the right thing to do. Besides, just a greeting shouldn’t make her look weird.

With a deep breath drawn in, her legs carried her in his direction without a second thought, hearing Vera calling out to her with a “Wait, Rose—!” as she moved forward anyway.

She could do this.

She could do this.

The brunette came to an abrupt halt when she finally noticed the thinning crowd around him, and before she knew it she was looking up to the very guy Vera had advised her to not talk to. Her stomach was getting tied in knots, and she was beginning to feel herself getting dizzy— Was it normal to be so concerned about another person? Maybe her instincts were telling her this guy gave off danger vibes?!

She couldn’t do this. And yet

“Hey, are you enjoying yourself?” The brunette asked with a signature, polite smile.

… she did it.

After Justice left his side, Damon went back to staring out the window. In a way it looked like he could see an entirely different world outside of it. That wasn't the case but what did it really matter. This was about as much entertainment he would see all day given his reputation.

He felt his wolf resting comfortably, wherever it was that they resided inside of them. At least one of them was content. No, Damon was beginning to feel bored and wondered when they would bring the cake. That was when it was safe to leave.

All of a sounded, he heard the sound of hesitant foot steps making their way towards him. Then there was a voice. Someone had spoken to him. As if lifted from a daze, Damon slowly turned his attention to the girl in front of him. For a moment he just looked at her trying to remember her name, all the while his wolf had come to attention, curious as to what had led this girl to speak to them.

Having found nothing of her in his memory, he put on a smile and attempted to lie, unsure how well she would see through it. "It's nice. Parties aren't really my thing, though," he replied simply.

He then took in her appearance. Her hair and eyes were quite the stunning combination. Then he glanced at her dress, it was nice but he didn't think white was the best color for her. But she was beautiful nonetheless. That's when he noticed how very nervous she was. He wondered what he could do to ease her.

"My name is Damon. You wouldn't happen to be the birthday girl, would you?" He asked.

Then he suddenly seemed to have thought of something. "I am just trying to remember you," he said. He worried she thought he was trying to ask her because of her being of age.

That was certainly not his intentions. He was merely trying to lighten the mood. Was he himself becoming nervous? How odd. Alpha's dont normally get nervous.