Kickstater doners fund Shadowrun Returns

Delnoir

A Relic of a Bygone Era
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Shadowrun. A tabletop RPG older than I am. It is set in a near-future fictional universe in which cybernetics, magic and fantasy creatures co-exist. It combines genres of cyberpunk, urban fantasy and crime, with occasional elements of conspiracy fiction, horror, and detective fiction and since its the Sci-Fi Festival this totally counts as relevant.

So basically there were games based on Shadowrun, but in 2007 FASA Interactive (the devs behind the latest Shadowrun game) were closed down by Microsoft who proceeded to license the Shadowrun electronic entertainment rights to a company known as Smith & Tinker. S&T is owned by Jordan Weisman, who just so happens to be one of the men behind the original Shadowrun tabletop game. And now five years later they started one of those lovely Kickstarter projects to fund a new game in the Shadowrun series.

And the game was funded in 28 hours, they're sitting on $492,392 (Which is $2k more than they had when I started typing this), and there's still twenty three freakin' days left. $425,000 was the goal they set to release the game for Mac as well, so that goal has been blown out of the water, and there's even talk of Linux support if they keep raking it in (And in the time it took me to type this they just got another $200 dollars).

I personally know nothing of Shadowrun. I know that if the project got funded in 28 hour and is still going strong then there is most certainly a fanbase for this game. And I know we have plenty of tabletop enthusiasts here so I'm sure one of you who must know of this.

But if you're like me and the idea of a cybernetic/magic/fantasy creature mix sounds like your kind of thing (And lets face it, what gamer doesn't like that idea?), you can check out the full kickstarter page here and maybe even donate. $15 buck will secure a copy of the game that is DRM free right now, and the rewards only get sweeter the more you donate.

But no, really. If you're a gamer, at least give this a look. It has me colored impressed.

EDIT: They just cleared the $500,000 mark. I can only imagine what it'll look like once the last 23 days are up.

Kickstarter is probably the best example of voting with your wallet that I've ever seen. Unfortunately, there's only 1 game I want to help kickstart (the next Tex Murphy game), and its not yet accepting funds.